Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The longer the EU row goes on the better it is for Hancock and Johnson – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited February 2021 in General
imageThe longer the EU row goes on the better it is for Hancock and Johnson – politicalbetting.com

The latest research on the effectiveness of the AZC/Oxford vaccine reinforces the kudos for Hancock in getting early supplies and being a media savvy politician it was he who was the minister doing the round of morning media appearance.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Another example of #10 PR operation upped its game.

https://twitter.com/DrAlexGeorge/status/1356867176561532928?s=19
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Fourth rate EU vaccine effort.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,521
    edited February 2021
    About 10th.

(In base 6)
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    FPT
    Pagan2 said:

On the subject of voting labour, or indeed other parties can I just say as a voter one thing that grinds my gears and makes me disinclined to vote for you is the use of the word "fair". This isn't meant to be a rant or jibe so don't take it as so.

Simply when I see "fair wage" or "fair share of tax" etc...its meaningless at best and at worst makes me think its going to mean I pay a lot more tax. I am not saying you should not have policies on those things just however say what you mean....what is a fair wage for say a supermarket shelf stacker....what is fair tax 22% basic? 25% basic?

If you use the word fair what I read as a voter is "We don't want to put a figure on it so we don't scare you". That actually scares me more

• Options

FFS, Sky News report on paper on new AZN paper........grrhhhhhhhhhhhh......

They stated the scientific community divided over 3 week vs 3 month gap...ok, on Pfizer right, no, no mention of that....new paper says 3 month doesn't lower efficacy..grrrhhhh...no it finds it is optimal range...and in conclusion, this paper suggests government gamble might be right....no it says nothing about Pfizer.

And zero mention of amazing results in terms of no hospitalisations.

i mean FFS...and this is from their supposed health correspondent.

This confusion (media favourite word) is worse than stuff like peoppe died yesterday reports.

Media arts majors confused by medical and sciencey stuff, sounds like any other day from the past twelve months.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    edited February 2021
    On Labour & patriotism:

https://twitter.com/TomMcTague/status/1356911825980432384?s=20

I think the problem some on the left have is they reject "the nation" as "the collective".
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,602
    Difficult to follow the logic of this:

"Why can't UK copy Australia and 'batten down hatches' to stop COVID?

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has said the UK could not "close down" its borders to tackle coronavirus in the same way as countries such as Australia.

He told the Commons Transport Select Committee: "People say 'why don't we just close down and then we'll be safe?'

"But, of course, we wouldn't be safe, because we are an island nation - unlike Australia or something which is an entire continent - and that means that we need to get medicines in, we need to get food in, we need to get our raw materials in, sometimes we have to move people around, scientists and others."

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-covid-news-latest-updates-in-coronavirus-lockdown-12205059
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Pagan2 said:

FPT

Pagan2 said:

On the subject of voting labour, or indeed other parties can I just say as a voter one thing that grinds my gears and makes me disinclined to vote for you is the use of the word "fair". This isn't meant to be a rant or jibe so don't take it as so.

Simply when I see "fair wage" or "fair share of tax" etc...its meaningless at best and at worst makes me think its going to mean I pay a lot more tax. I am not saying you should not have policies on those things just however say what you mean....what is a fair wage for say a supermarket shelf stacker....what is fair tax 22% basic? 25% basic?

If you use the word fair what I read as a voter is "We don't want to put a figure on it so we don't scare you". That actually scares me more

It means "we want more of somebody else's money for our pet cause".

Used in precisely the same way as Just William talking about jammie dodgers.

Occasionally VEB gets activated.

"We are going to thkweem and thkweem and thkweem until you are sick."
  • Options

On Labour & patriotism:

I think the problem some on the left have is they reject "the nation" as "the collective".

I agree.. this is a cycle which has gone around and around since 2010. Remember 'blue labour' back with Miliband.

This is a circle which can't be squared yet for Labour.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    edited February 2021
    I see "fully vaccinated" (2 doses) is Mr Keating's preferred metric to stop the UK coming top of showing vaccine roll out across Europe.

I expect that metric to last until the UK starts doing second doses at scale.....

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1356872414114828288?s=20
  • Options

I see "fully vaccinated" (2 doses) is Mr Keating's preferred metric to stop the UK coming top of showing vaccine roll out across Europe.

I expect that metric to last until the UK starts doing second doses at scale.....

/twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1356872414114828288?s=20

In 2 months time, Comical Ali will more than likely be using rate of 2 doses given to over 80s from the beginning of Feb onwards...UK bottom of the league table.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has said the UK could not "close down" its borders to tackle coronavirus in the same way as countries such as Australia.

He told the Commons Transport Select Committee: "People say 'why don't we just close down and then we'll be safe?'

"But, of course, we wouldn't be safe, because we are an island nation - unlike Australia or something which is an entire continent - and that means that we need to get medicines in, we need to get food in, we need to get our raw materials in, sometimes we have to move people around, scientists and others."

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-covid-news-latest-updates-in-coronavirus-lockdown-12205059

The unwillingness to close the border properly, is the one aspect of government policy that confuses the hell out of me at the moment. If you're an island nation, why on Earth wouldn't you isolate yourself from a nasty virus?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Boris's deal is looking very much like a botched job. When superman Matt Hancock eventually takes over - for it will surely be he! - then he'll need to use his fastidious eye for detail, uncanny powers of prognostication and inspiring man management to forge something more optimal. The rest of us can only wait for that platinum dawn.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    "Hi, its Michael Gove here. We've got a bit of a problem. You see we've signed this Trade and Co-operation Agreement and since we switched it on those annoying chappies in Ulster have pointed out that there's now a border down the Irish Sea. Is there any chance that we can avoid having to implement all of the processes we insisted on and committed to do when we signed the agreement?"

Or, more succinctly...

• Options
    Its a brilliant Private Eye front page. Of course for the Tories the advantage to the whole shebang is, as OGH points out, we were first.

On the other hand, it highlights the completely unworkable "solution" which they insisted on for Northern Ireland. Who knew that placing a border down the Irish Sea and making Norniron unionists at best semi-detached from the rest of the UK might not be a good idea?

Oh yes, thats right. Boris Johnson knew. "No British Prime Minister, especially a Tory one, would ever do such a thing". Perhaps he should have a word with himself.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    edited February 2021
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

The unwillingness to close the border properly, is the one aspect of government policy that confuses the hell out of me at the moment. If you're an island nation, why on Earth wouldn't you isolate yourself from a nasty virus?
    Because Global Britain and the Government is scared that it may stop someone buying something.

More accurately its politically far harder for us to do this than Australia / New Zealand which are a long distance away or the IoM / channel islands that are far smaller.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Boris's deal is looking very much like a botched job. When superman Matt Hancock eventually takes over - for it will surely be he! - then he'll need to use his fastidious eye for detail, uncanny powers of prognostication and inspiring man management to forge something more optimal. The rest of us can only wait for that platinum dawn.
    But how would Hancock govern? Will it depend on if he last watched West Wing, House of Cards, Yes Minister or Thick of IT?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Morning all! Have we already talked about Labour's plans to de-twat themselves by slapping on lots of union jacks? It reads like a brilliant piece of dumb focus group research, "ex-voters actually like this country, bizarrely, so lets dress up like them to make them like us".

If Tony Blair was leader, and was convincing on that front with a front-bench of eager reformers, then yes, that's the strategy. Sadly Keir "we're here to hear" Starmer is leader, half the front bench are "who?" and the back benches are stuffed full of nutters.

I was a member of the Labour Party for 25 years. I really struggle to understand what it is about and who it thinks it is speaking to - and this dumb "stick a flag in the background" effort will convince nobody. Had Keith purged the nutters, said mea maxima culpa and spent the last year actually reforming the party in the background then maybe.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/02/labour-urged-to-focus-on-flag-and-patriotism-to-win-voters-trust-leak-reveals

Not letting the Tories own patriotism - especially after all the harm they have done with it - is a good thing. That's where I start from on this. Beyond that, wrapping the flag around higher public spending, fair wages for essential workers, a strong NHS, a better deal for schools, a decent and dignified care system, more affordable housing, tolerance, openness and solidarity is absolutely what Labour should be doing. These are all values that most voters will identify with. The Corbyn years caused immense harm to Labour's image as a party that actually liked the country it wanted to govern. You have to start somewhere in changing that. And in terms of party control, Starmer is pretty much there. He now owns the NEC and the PLP. The nutters are leaving, as the fall in membership demonstrates. Still a long, long way to go. But progress is being made.

It's not the Tories owning patriotism that is the issue. It is Labour owning - for decades - national self-loathing. Sticking a few flags on a PPB isn't going to convince anybody that behind their hands, Labour isn't laughing at the insincerity of its own actions.

The embodiment of Labour's problem here is Emily Thornberry tweeting about the ridiculousness of draping flags over your house. Anyone want to assess her private views on this new policy. a) Yes Leader, I'm right behind you. I love a flag. I love OUR flag or b) pfffft - what bullshit?

You make my point for me. Disliking the Tory version of patriotism is not self-loathing. It is disliking the Tory version of patriotism - one that has led us to where we are today: a horribly divided country which erects barriers to trade and celebrates removing freedoms from its citizens. Patriotism doesn't have to be like that.

Gloriously showing why Labour will get stuffed next time too. The citizens voted to remove those freedoms from its citizens. It was the result of democracy.

And SKS and the Labour movement love flags, for sure. We have seen them emblazoned everywhere. They fly flags VERY proudly. Unfortunately, for the past five years, that flag has been gold stars on a blue background.

If you want to stop dividing this country, stop flying the flag of a foreign power all over your social media presence, Remainers. That is a weird type of patriotism you've got there....
    It's not just the EU flag. Trade union flags, Palestine, etc. There are plenty of flags on all sides. The strange thing is that in lots of countries e.g. France there is no problem or insinuations about self gratification related to the flag, whereas in the UK it seems to be different.
    Because there's nothing wrong with flags.

The problem is that some people hate their own country. They hate what the flag represents. They are ashamed of their own nation and loathe to see their own flag as a result.
    An embarrassing post.
    Embarrassing for you maybe, since you're a prime person who hates his own country and loathes his own national flag.

You go further though into hating your own compatriots. You should be banished to Hartlepool until you can get over your irrationality.
  • Options
    Dido of Carnage, who was surprised reopening schools increased spread, now blindsided by "viruses mutate".....

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1356904251864330240?s=20
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    I think most commentators and on here are underestimating the economic tsunami coming our way.
    Any government would be effected by it , and how it handles the debt once the pandemic is eventually under control.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited February 2021

I'm fine with him using that metric, as you say - will he be in a few weeks & months ?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Roger said:

Morning all! Have we already talked about Labour's plans to de-twat themselves by slapping on lots of union jacks? It reads like a brilliant piece of dumb focus group research, "ex-voters actually like this country, bizarrely, so lets dress up like them to make them like us".

If Tony Blair was leader, and was convincing on that front with a front-bench of eager reformers, then yes, that's the strategy. Sadly Keir "we're here to hear" Starmer is leader, half the front bench are "who?" and the back benches are stuffed full of nutters.

I was a member of the Labour Party for 25 years. I really struggle to understand what it is about and who it thinks it is speaking to - and this dumb "stick a flag in the background" effort will convince nobody. Had Keith purged the nutters, said mea maxima culpa and spent the last year actually reforming the party in the background then maybe.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/02/labour-urged-to-focus-on-flag-and-patriotism-to-win-voters-trust-leak-reveals

Not letting the Tories own patriotism - especially after all the harm they have done with it - is a good thing. That's where I start from on this. Beyond that, wrapping the flag around higher public spending, fair wages for essential workers, a strong NHS, a better deal for schools, a decent and dignified care system, more affordable housing, tolerance, openness and solidarity is absolutely what Labour should be doing. These are all values that most voters will identify with. The Corbyn years caused immense harm to Labour's image as a party that actually liked the country it wanted to govern. You have to start somewhere in changing that. And in terms of party control, Starmer is pretty much there. He now owns the NEC and the PLP. The nutters are leaving, as the fall in membership demonstrates. Still a long, long way to go. But progress is being made.

It's not the Tories owning patriotism that is the issue. It is Labour owning - for decades - national self-loathing. Sticking a few flags on a PPB isn't going to convince anybody that behind their hands, Labour isn't laughing at the insincerity of its own actions.

The embodiment of Labour's problem here is Emily Thornberry tweeting about the ridiculousness of draping flags over your house. Anyone want to assess her private views on this new policy. a) Yes Leader, I'm right behind you. I love a flag. I love OUR flag or b) pfffft - what bullshit?

You make my point for me. Disliking the Tory version of patriotism is not self-loathing. It is disliking the Tory version of patriotism - one that has led us to where we are today: a horribly divided country which erects barriers to trade and celebrates removing freedoms from its citizens. Patriotism doesn't have to be like that.

Gloriously showing why Labour will get stuffed next time too. The citizens voted to remove those freedoms from its citizens. It was the result of democracy.

And SKS and the Labour movement love flags, for sure. We have seen them emblazoned everywhere. They fly flags VERY proudly. Unfortunately, for the past five years, that flag has been gold stars on a blue background.

If you want to stop dividing this country, stop flying the flag of a foreign power all over your social media presence, Remainers. That is a weird type of patriotism you've got there....
    It's not just the EU flag. Trade union flags, Palestine, etc. There are plenty of flags on all sides. The strange thing is that in lots of countries e.g. France there is no problem or insinuations about self gratification related to the flag, whereas in the UK it seems to be different.
    Because there's nothing wrong with flags.

The problem is that some people hate their own country. They hate what the flag represents. They are ashamed of their own nation and loathe to see their own flag as a result.
    An embarrassing post.
    Embarrassing for you maybe, since you're a prime person who hates his own country and loathes his own national flag.

You go further though into hating your own compatriots. You should be banished to Hartlepool until you can get over your irrationality.
    I feel that your suggested cruel and unusual punishment would be against the European Convention on Human Rights.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2021
    Pulpstar said:

I'm fine with him using that metric
    He keeps picking a different metric...a couple of weeks ago it was all about fudging the start date of when he counted as vaccination roll out of each country. He is the Alister Haimes of vaccination numbers.

You watch in 6 weeks when UK smashing the 2nd doses, he will pick something else.
  • Options
    Does rather ask the question why did he and Boris agree to put that mechanism in place if using it was so dangerous. Just saying that it was never expected to be used doesn't stack up - these things need to be absolutely bullet proof.
  • Options
    I wonder if anyone in the EU did a "cost/benefit" analysis:

https://twitter.com/IanWishart/status/1356919494229303297?s=20
  • Options
    Ooooh. Yes it was to prove the EC was a paragon.

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1273169395515351040
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Yorkcity said:

I think most commentators and on here are underestimating the economic tsunami coming our way.
    Any government would be effected by it , and how it handles the debt once the pandemic is eventually under control.

It's pretty obvious how they are going to handle it; keep borrowing and let inflation rip.

What are the other options?
  • Options
    Floater said:
    A South Carolina hotel hosted a 500-person rave Saturday that had been approved by state regulators despite the raging COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Dura_Ace said:

Yorkcity said:

It's pretty obvious how they are going to handle it; keep borrowing and let inflation rip.

I have only seen very low inflation throughout my entire adult life. To be honest I'm quite fearful of it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I expect that metric to last until the UK starts doing second doses at scale

What's really stupid about this is that the data strongly suggests that for AZ at least you should be doing the single dose and waiting a long interval for the second. It would be less efficient and less beneficial to double dose quickly. This may also be true for the other vaccines. So his measure of success will likely turn out to favour countries that ultimately get the least benefit from using their vaccines effectively. Success = failure.
  • Options

Dido of Carnage, who was surprised reopening schools increased spread, now blindsided by "viruses mutate".....

From the November Select committee when repeatedly pressed on testing demand:

"Chair: Carol’s question was, is there a particular time that you are looking forward at, to anticipate a need for a surge?
    Baroness Harding: I defer to the clinical experts on that rather than think that it is my job to know the answer to that question."

--------

She does not think it is her job to know when the increases for testing were likely to happen. Absolutely fine to defer to the experts as to when the demand might be, nonsensical that you can be responsible for testing and have no interest or understanding of what the demand will be.
  • Options
    glw said:

I expect that metric to last until the UK starts doing second doses at scale

What's really stupid about this is that the data strongly suggests that for AZ at least you should be doing the single dose and waiting a long interval for the second. It would be less efficient and less beneficial to double dose quickly. This may also be true for the other vaccines. So his measure of success will likely turn out to favour countries that ultimately get the least benefit from using their vaccines effectively. Success = failure.
    Pseudo-science....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    MattW said:

Telling comment, "neccessary at a good price". Like buying widgets....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    edited February 2021
    Dura_Ace said:

Yorkcity said:

None - and it's hopefully a freak one off occurrence so there is little point trying to redesign the economy to pay for it.

The Treasury has enough problems working out where to get lost Business Rates revenue from now the High Street is dead and offices aren't as necessary as they were a year ago.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

Just like haggling for that carpet....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Not a great time to be an Orthodox Jew in London. The worst covid figures in the world

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-orthodox-jews-london-b1796482.html
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

On Labour & patriotism:

That's it exactly - their spiritual collective is the world, and their home nation merely a small, embarrassing nuisance.

A perfect attitude for winning seats in the World Parliament (which, er, doesn't exist) and losing them in the UK Parliament (which does).
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Not for the first time.
  • Options

"Chair: Carol’s question was, is there a particular time that you are looking forward at, to anticipate a need for a surge?
    Baroness Harding: I defer to the clinical experts on that rather than think that it is my job to know the answer to that question."

--------

She does not think it is her job to know when the increases for testing were likely to happen. Absolutely fine to defer to the experts as to when the demand might be, nonsensical that you can be responsible for testing and have no interest or understanding of what the demand will be.
    It just goes to show she wasn't asking the right questions. One Govt appointee has been a spectacular success, the other a dud.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    Biden likely to keep US troops in Afghanistan beyond the May withdrawal deadline initially agreed between the Trump administration and the Taliban

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-admin-us-troops-afghanistan-amid-escalating-violence/story?id=75547504&cid=social_twitter_abcn
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    Roger said:

Not a great time to be an Orthodox Jew in London. The worst covid figures in the world

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-orthodox-jews-london-b1796482.html

It comes back to being prepared to be rude to some communities/beliefs - in the interest of society as a whole.

We are going to have fun in the next year - companies will start demanding COVID vaccinations, as condition of employment. People will be arguing in court this is against their rights
  • Options

Roger said:

It comes back to being prepared to be rude to some communities/beliefs - in the interest of society as a whole.

We are going to have fun in the next year - companies will start demanding COVID vaccinations, as condition of employment. People will be arguing in court this is against their rights
    NHS and care home workers, we just can't have them not being vaccinated.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,979
    Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

TBH, you'd think that as a qualified medic she'd know better.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,529

Scott_xP said:
    Obviously there is no such thing as a solution, since all the solutions which involve playing nicely are rejected by enough people.

But just as the Brexit Referendum required most of us to make a forced choice between leave and remain, neither of which most wanted as most wanted a reformed EU, perhaps NI needs to have a forced choice and to grow up. Stage one of the forced choice would be to grant NI independent status with HM as head of state but being neither in UK or RI, and then for NI and no-one else to determine its future. The UN can have a mandate to protect its peace. Can the NI possibly grow up until it learns, like a stroppy 20 something, to leave home, get a job and make tough choices without relying on mum and dad?

• Options
    edited February 2021

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

Medic != Any idea about procurement

Bit like saying sailors know how to go about doing deals for aircraft carriers.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938

https://twitter.com/DPhinnemore/status/1356740342628900865
  • Options
    Of course you can be left-wing and patriotic. Jim Callaghan, Harold Wilson, Clement Atlee, George Orwell, etc.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

Just like haggling for that carpet....
    As someone pointed out, the EU Commission are administrators, not "a government". A government can be sacked in its entirety by its electorate - their jobs are always on the line. Administrators usually just get reassigned, or promoted upwards (yes UvdL, I'm looking at you).
  • Options
    Roger said:

Not good. Forgive my ignorance but do you know if synagogues are still holding services?

This is grim in the circumstances, but also oddly expressed. Time to become a Christian man...

'Even after adjusting for socio-economic factors, data from Public Health England shows that Jewish men are twice as likely to die from Covid-19 than Christian men in the UK.'
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm fine with him using that metric, as you say - will he be in a few weeks & months ?
    The only metric he cares about is being as anti-British as possible.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

I'm not sure why she doesn't just plagiarise Boris's vaccine homework.

She should be good at that.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,584

Dura_Ace said:

Yorkcity said:

I have only seen very low inflation throughout my entire adult life. To be honest I'm quite fearful of it.
    ...and after a decade of it wiping out your savings, you get Mrs.T.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited February 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Of course you can be left-wing and patriotic. Jim Callaghan, Harold Wilson, Clement Atlee, George Orwell, etc.

Telling that one has to reach for figures from 40, 50, and 80 years ago...
  • Options
    Never mind, Scott will post it is all our fault
  • Options

Roger said:

Not good. Forgive my ignorance but do you know if synagogues are still holding services?

This is grim in the circumstances, but also oddly expressed. Time to become a Christian man...

'Even after adjusting for socio-economic factors, data from Public Health England shows that Jewish men are twice as likely to die from Covid-19 than Christian men in the UK.'
    I think there conclusions are too timid there. It has to do with a pattern of larger, extended families and women being out and about less than men.

A comparison with say orthodox Islamic families in Bradford may be instructive.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Biden likely to keep US troops in Afghanistan beyond the May withdrawal deadline initially agreed between the Trump administration and the Taliban

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-admin-us-troops-afghanistan-amid-escalating-violence/story?id=75547504&cid=social_twitter_abcn

They've only been there twenty years. I'm sure another couple of decades will crack it.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:
    Obviously there is no such thing as a solution, since all the solutions which involve playing nicely are rejected by enough people.

But just as the Brexit Referendum required most of us to make a forced choice between leave and remain, neither of which most wanted as most wanted a reformed EU, perhaps NI needs to have a forced choice and to grow up. Stage one of the forced choice would be to grant NI independent status with HM as head of state but being neither in UK or RI, and then for NI and no-one else to determine its future. The UN can have a mandate to protect its peace. Can the NI possibly grow up until it learns, like a stroppy 20 something, to leave home, get a job and make tough choices without relying on mum and dad?

Trouble is that fails the "Boris doesn't want to go down in history as breaking up the Union" test. Only with more people prepared to use guns and bombs than in Scotland.

Basically, it's a right pickle and no mistaking, missus.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yorkcity said:

...and after a decade of it wiping out your savings, you get Mrs.T.
    A EUrophile and eco warrior? Oh well, light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,584

--------

It just goes to show she wasn't asking the right questions. One Govt appointee has been a spectacular success, the other a dud.
    Both were 'well connected'.
    One had relevant expertise; the other didn't.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Bit like saying sailors know how to go about doing deals for aircraft carriers.

It's a good job we left it to the experts: 7 years behind schedule and 50% over budget.
  • Options
    Captain Sir Tom Moore's family have revealed he only tested positive for coronavirus after his ten-day stay in hospital being treated for pneumonia.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9218431/Captain-Sir-Tom-Moore-tested-negative-coronavirus-testing-positive-stay-hospital.html
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Roger said:

Some synagogues are still, unbelievably, holding regular services. Mine stayed open for a bit during lockdown but then shut after Sadiq Khan led a push to close all places of worship (one of the few things he's ever done I can unconditionally support).

Worth noting that the report Roger links to relates to (as far as I can tell) the ultra-orthodox community specifically, which is a fairly small and self-contained part of the wider community. Although it's pretty clear that the findings are applicable to both, albeit to differing extents.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203

Roger said:

I really hope this sort of nonsense is stopped. It is no more a breach of their rights than it is to expect someone handling food to take a course in food safety and hygiene and to wash their hands regularly, not come into work if they are ill etc.

Vaccination is not against anyone's beliefs and if someone does not want to have one then they need to accept the consequences for themselves of their actions. Not seek to pass those consequences onto others.

The Orthodox Jewish community is behaving disgracefully in flouting the regulations in this way. I really don't see why they should be treated as exempt from the rules or their enforcement.
  • Options

Roger said:

I don't know the answer to that but many families will have twelve children or more and social distancing will be non existent. Many of course have the quaint belief that him upstairs will look after them which is another problem.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938

Never mind, Scott will post it is all our fault

Who do you think wrote Article 16?

It only exists because of Brexit.

Who do you blame for that?
  • Options
    That's going to be a big big problem for him.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

Andrew Wakefield was once a qualified medic. Doctors are not immune from being stupid. And dangerous.
  • Options
    On topic, the EU shat the bed. They've left themselves wide open on the NI protocol as a result, and I suspect they know it.

The solution (long-term) will have to be an SPS arrangement/derogation for *the whole* of the British Isles.

It makes no sense to have free movement of people in the CTA, but no free movement of animals and plants, when the British/Irish farming system is effectively one and has all the same standards and rules anyway.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

I don't think so. The key thing is he says "used to" - he just needs to say clearly how much respect he has for Her Maj and that it serves the country well etc. etc.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,529
    edited February 2021

algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

Trouble is that fails the "Boris doesn't want to go down in history as breaking up the Union" test. Only with more people prepared to use guns and bombs than in Scotland.

Basically, it's a right pickle and no mistaking, missus.
    I'm sure this is right. But it fails fewer tests than most, including status quo, which fails every bit of logic. And the truth is in most of England, Wales and even Scotland there is massive indifference about the legal status of NI; looking at a map suggests to most people that if Scottish independence is possible and feasible then NI either being independent or reunified with the island of Ireland must be also. The only thing truly in the way is religious bigotry and violent threat. The passage of time is dealing with the first, and the UN should deal with the second.

• Options
    How long ago did Starmer make those comments?
  • Options

Captain Sir Tom Moore's family have revealed he only tested positive for coronavirus after his ten-day stay in hospital being treated for pneumonia.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9218431/Captain-Sir-Tom-Moore-tested-negative-coronavirus-testing-positive-stay-hospital.html

I thought the regulations prevented foreign holidays. You could not even leave a Tier 4 area.

Don't care about the Captain - can quite understand why a free holiday at age 100 would appeal. But as a more general point, were foreign holidays permitted?
  • Options

How long ago did Starmer make those comments?

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

Shame she ignored the "every day matters" bit.
    In the cost benefit analysis for vaccines, rapid results means trillions of dollars, globally.
    And you can vaccinate the entire globe for a few tens of billions.

Haggling was utterly pointless.
    I'd suggest it was worse than pointless, it's resulting in a vaccine shortage and political game playing by politicians to reduce demand for them.

The latest AZ study from last night is absolutely incredible and it was done in the background of the Brazil variant for around half the cohort so to come out at 82% efficacy against any symptoms, a two thirds reduction in infection and a 100% reduction in severe symptoms, hospitalisation and death is the best news we've had since the start of this. A $4 vaccine will save millions of lives.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    Endillion said:

Roger said:

Some synagogues are still, unbelievably, holding regular services. Mine stayed open for a bit during lockdown but then shut after Sadiq Khan led a push to close all places of worship (one of the few things he's ever done I can unconditionally support).

Worth noting that the report Roger links to relates to (as far as I can tell) the ultra-orthodox community specifically, which is a fairly small and self-contained part of the wider community. Although it's pretty clear that the findings are applicable to both, albeit to differing extents.
    Most of the err... mainstream Synagogues shut. They certainly stopped services.

The Ultra Ultra You Bet We are More Ultra types glory in their resistance to... reality pretty much.

It's worth pointing out that in Judaism, as in Islam, there are ancient, ancient rulings in the scholarship that when it comes to clash between religion rules and preserving life, preserving life should come first.

So, ironically, the hard core characters are breaking the rules here.

Personal note : I'm half Jewish.
  • Options

TSE and I still advocate it.

Liz Truss used to advocate it too.

But yes it will be a bigger issue for him. Because he already has a patriotism issue and frankly Liz Truss does not.

When you lose the benefit of the doubt it becomes harder to avoid tough questions.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    Cyclefree said:

I thought the regulations prevented foreign holidays. You could not even leave a Tier 4 area.

Don't care about the Captain - can quite understand why a free holiday at age 100 would appeal. But as a more general point, were foreign holidays permitted?
    When he went, yes.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I doubt that one comment will do Starmer much harm, but we do know his current image is being carefully crafted, unlike Jezza willing to say things that previously he would never as his eye is on the prize of winning, not sticking to appearing idealogically pure.
  • Options
    I wonder why Guido uses such an unattractive and old fashioned typeface? I keep wondering whether its to match the ugliness of his content but surely that would be too subtle for him?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I don't think so. The key thing is he says "used to" - he just needs to say clearly how much respect he has for Her Maj and that it serves the country well etc. etc.
    Nah, you can't row back from that. It's only sixteen years ago. He was a senior QC and comfortably into his forties by then - he wasn't a trendy student. And it's clear from his smile and body language he believes it.

Of course, he will try - but he won't be believed.

It's not a mistake Blair (or even Brown) would have ever made.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

MattW said:

Shame she ignored the "every day matters" bit.
    In the cost benefit analysis for vaccines, rapid results means trillions of dollars, globally.
    And you can vaccinate the entire globe for a few tens of billions.

Haggling was utterly pointless.
    I'd suggest it was worse than pointless, it's resulting in a vaccine shortage and political game playing by politicians to reduce demand for them.

The latest AZ study from last night is absolutely incredible and it was done in the background of the Brazil variant for around half the cohort so to come out at 82% efficacy against any symptoms, a two thirds reduction in infection and a 100% reduction in severe symptoms, hospitalisation and death is the best news we've had since the start of this. A $4 vaccine will save millions of lives.
    Unless you are French, of course.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

I don't know the answer to that but many families will have twelve children or more and social distancing will be non existent. Many of course have the quaint belief that him upstairs will look after them which is another problem.
    Youi really are unpleasant.

What gives you the right to trash a religions views, other than arrogance and intolerance of other peoples views

If they want go believe in their God who are you to make snide remarks about something they hold dear

I am not Jewish and have no reason to defend them but it tires me when I see such prejudice
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Nah, you can't row back from that. It's only sixteen years ago. He was a senior QC and comfortably into his forties by then - he wasn't a trendy student. And it's clear from his smile and body language he believes it.

Of course, he will try - but he won't be believed.

It's not a mistake Blair (or even Brown) would have ever made.
    It was well-dug-out by someone !
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Roger said:

Some church 'leaders' (whatever that means) are taking the Scottish government to court for not allowing any church services. One of them was interviewed on the radio on Sunday and the air of messianic entitlement was gobsmacking:

In this time of crisis coming together and witnessing the good news of Jesus is the only way we can bring redemption to the world (I paraphrase but only in detail not intent).
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    edited February 2021
    Alistair said:
    The lowest circle of hell is reserved for traitors (of the SNP and sainted Nikki).
This discussion has been closed.