Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The longer the EU row goes on the better it is for Hancock and Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Selebian said:

Some pretty dodgy data presentation by ScotGov - also omits to thank British Army:

https://twitter.com/Political_AlanS/status/1356707373646303236?s=20

"Greater depth" - does that mean the jabbers in Scotland jab a bit harder? :open_mouth:
    The Scots know how to REALLY get under your skin.....
  • Options

kle4 said:

He's allowed to be a republican. Many are.

It would be easier for him if it didn't become a focus though.
    Being a republican is, as you say, allowed. Accepting a knighthood while being a republican looks a bit odd.
    I think the issue is more him telling his party they must love queen and country...as i say down thread thiugh, it won't be important unless they have him on tape from last week saying of course i am still a republican.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,360
    edited February 2021
    Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

You don't have to look that hard to find Starmer statements / actions at odds with his current inage. I mean he played up how much of a leftie he was during the leadership race, then immediately switched.

Starmer is a "nice guy" but views politics as a real-time tactical challenge of presentation and triangulation.

He risks losing everyone with that approach.
    And the risk isn't all to his right. Too much RW chasing could lose support in the MML (which is bigger than the RW). For example, on PT you told me that in order to win an election these days a Labour Party core value needs to be not just "loving your country" - which makes me squirm a bit but I can totally live with - but something rather more and rather different.

It must be OPENLY loving your country (you said).

I don't like that. I don't like that one bit. If that becomes a core Labour value I won't be voting Labour.
    Genuine question this: why would Labour openly loving the country stop you voting Labour?

I don't understand why making it the "love that dare not speak its name" is more acceptable to you.
    Ah right, no, I don't mean the opposite is the way to go. No need to be ashamed of feeling a love of country. That's ok. Maybe it's even a good thing. I don't feel it, but I'm probably unusual in this respect, and I don't hold it out as a virtue to feel the way I do. It's the "openly" which creeps me out. With that comes pressure and a kind of oppressive top-down enforcement of a particular 'national populist' form of patriotism that I find shallow and cheap - and regard as potentially dangerous since it is not inclusive. It doesn't have to mean this but I think in practice it does. Those who wish to see lots of overt displays of 'Love of Britain' going on - and who like to attack Labour on this issue - do not (I sense) picture stuff like the 2012 Olympics ceremony with the bouncing nurses, or a massive Pride march with some UJs scattered amongst the rainbows.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,405

ydoethur said:

Will Johnson get asked about stepping up school openings at PMQs?

Brady on the radio this morning was getting his freak on.

He won't be alone.

Brady has been getting his freak on all pandemic. If we'd listened to him things would be far worse now.

As much as the girls want to go back to school (and I'd be happy for it to happen), the proposal of giving 2 weeks notice for future changes to schools is a good one.

I was worried schools wouldn't be going back until after the Easter break, which pushes us into April before they go back. Saying they'll go on the 8th March instead - I doubt many people will quibble over a fortnight.
    At this moment, my understanding is that the 8th March is the *earliest* schools may start going back. Not that they definitely will be going back. Put it this way, I'm not counting on being back onsite before the end of March.

I agree about the two weeks' notice. Life would be far easier now if the government had made the call about January on December 9th, as anyone with half a brain would have done but the DfE didn't.
    Concerning that you're not expecting to go back before the end of March.

Do you expect there to be a difference between Primary and Secondary education on this? IE back on 8 March for Primary but after Easter for Secondary?

Or do you think 8 March is optimistic for anyone?
    Truthfully, I don’t know. It depends on where we are with infections. It will possibly also depend on what happens at the DfE. Mass sackings there of ministers, civil servants and quangocrats would do wonders for restoring trust in the government which will be badly needed before schools reopen properly. At the moment, we’ve been lied to so often that it’s become axiomatic you disbelieve the DfE until you have hard evidence they’re telling the truth. Therefore, nobody will accept their assurances on going back or school safety.

I think if it’s a staged/phased reopening they will reopen primaries first, if that’s any comfort. The issue going beyond that is you can’t really reopen secondaries for 7 and 8 only as it buggers remote learning for everyone else, so there has to be some thought given to rotas. I seen no sign of that yet.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/grant-shapps-rejects-calls-to-close-uks-borders-crvh8w7m0

Seriously, we need to actually punch this arsehole in the face as hard as possible.

Boris is just too weak. Needs to sack half the cabinet including this Shapps. Fuck international travel, I want to go to the pub at some point this year.

Its absolutely inane. I think it'd be reasonable to exempt freight, but saying we won't implement it for anyone because we have some freight is madness.

Biggest story though of PMQs was surely Boris saying he was prepared to use Article 16 if an agreement isn't reached with the EU. The EU led the path to that, its fair enough now for Boris to invoke it so if they don't want him to they should sort out the issues.
  • Options
    Is there a "not" missing from that Tweet? If not I can't see what the problem is as both statements are compatible.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

He won't be alone.

Brady has been getting his freak on all pandemic. If we'd listened to him things would be far worse now.

As much as the girls want to go back to school (and I'd be happy for it to happen), the proposal of giving 2 weeks notice for future changes to schools is a good one.

I was worried schools wouldn't be going back until after the Easter break, which pushes us into April before they go back. Saying they'll go on the 8th March instead - I doubt many people will quibble over a fortnight.
    At this moment, my understanding is that the 8th March is the *earliest* schools may start going back. Not that they definitely will be going back. Put it this way, I'm not counting on being back onsite before the end of March.

I agree about the two weeks' notice. Life would be far easier now if the government had made the call about January on December 9th, as anyone with half a brain would have done but the DfE didn't.
    Interesting More or Less today explaining that the risk to teachers of catching Covid was no greater than the risk to the general population.

Should give you some comfort when you go back.

(And as a mere stripling of 37 you won't have been jabbed!)
    Do you have a link? Such figures as i have seen suggest that is not true.
    The programme - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000rvjr

There is of course plenty of info on this and more wrt school age children (Nov 2020):

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/935125/tfc-covid-19-children-transmission-s0860-041120.pdf
    Thanks. I’ll check out the BBC when I’ve finished marking later. I’ve seen too much fraud in government figures to put much faith in them.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Some pretty dodgy data presentation by ScotGov - also omits to thank British Army:

You still whining about the misinformation being peddled by the Westminster yahoos. Give it a rest or publish the death rates and really embarrass yourself. No-one is impressed by your constant lies other than your other cult members.
    Lets hope the faster roll out picks up the pace. Do you think they left out mention of the army accidentally, or on purpose?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,919

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

That's going to be a big big problem for him.
    I don't think so. The key thing is he says "used to" - he just needs to say clearly how much respect he has for Her Maj and that it serves the country well etc. etc.
    Of course it's going to be a fucking problem. This is the new patriotism. If you don't gush about how the Queen has served the nation for 60 years by being driven to the races in a Bentley and selflessly accepting 40,000 bunches of flowers you are fucked.

He will just have to hope the Queen rolls a two before the next GE as republicanism will be very much in vogue once we have King Gobshite and his nervous wreck heir.
    Perhaps it can be fought off with more flags. Which is another reason not to go ape on flags now. You have to leave yourself somewhere to go. Some gears unused.
    Thankfully SKS seems to have only a single flag habit at the moment. Keep a beady eye open for any increase, and casually placed models of aircraft carriers.
    The model was only yesterday, Keir hasn't had a chance to retaliate yet. It' s coming.

My bet is a miner's helmet in the corner, next to a model of a WW2 tank.
    A Churchill or a T34 ?

Then agains, given todays revelation - The Black Prince - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Prince_(tank)

- A super Churchill (tick)
    - A shout out to ethnic minorities (tick)
    - A shout out to Royalty (tick)
    - A finger flick at the French (tick)
    Nice thought.

What revelation, please?
    The republicanism thing - hence a bit of royalism to balance it out...

I notice that everyone seems to have missed the bit about the Black Prince tank being an utter waste of time, bordering on demented.
    Thanks! I had thought tthat HRH Prince Andrew was in the news or something.

Quite so re BP. To build a tank like that with more armour and gun and not even change the engine ...!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167

kle4 said:

Being a republican is, as you say, allowed. Accepting a knighthood while being a republican looks a bit odd.
    He said 'I used to be a republican' not 'I am a republican', in the leadership debate he made clear he supported a modernised monarchy, only Nandy said she was a republican
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He won't be alone.

Do you expect there to be a difference between Primary and Secondary education on this? IE back on 8 March for Primary but after Easter for Secondary?

nobody will accept their assurances on going back or school safety.
    For you or for the population via transmission of the disease?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,033
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

I don't think so. The key thing is he says "used to" - he just needs to say clearly how much respect he has for Her Maj and that it serves the country well etc. etc.
    Of course it's going to be a fucking problem. This is the new patriotism. If you don't gush about how the Queen has served the nation for 60 years by being driven to the races in a Bentley and selflessly accepting 40,000 bunches of flowers you are fucked.

He will just have to hope the Queen rolls a two before the next GE as republicanism will be very much in vogue once we have King Gobshite and his nervous wreck heir.
    Perhaps it can be fought off with more flags. Which is another reason not to go ape on flags now. You have to leave yourself somewhere to go. Some gears unused.
    Thankfully SKS seems to have only a single flag habit at the moment. Keep a beady eye open for any increase, and casually placed models of aircraft carriers.
    The model was only yesterday, Keir hasn't had a chance to retaliate yet. It' s coming.

A Churchill tank perhaps?
    A Cromwell would give the right parliamentarian, non-conformist note.

But he cut of a monarch's head!!

Ok, scrub that..
    IIRC WSC wanted to name a dreadnought after Noll. HM was not in the least amused. I'm still surprised he got away with the tank, but tanks have never featured quite so high in Britnat mythology.
    Churchill got a USN Arleigh Burke named after him by Clinton. It still has one of the few RN permanent exchange postings to survive the collapse, sorry, development of the exchange program.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,275

kle4 said:

I think the issue is more him telling his party they must love queen and country...as i say down thread thiugh, it won't be important unless they have him on tape from last week saying of course i am still a republican.
    A better approach would be to dump the Union Flag bulls**t and just insist on being called Sir Kier KCB. One up on Johnson for anyone who gives a crap about that sort of thing.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

A Churchill or a T34 ?

Then agains, given todays revelation - The Black Prince - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Prince_(tank)

Great knowledge, love it!
    The history of British tank design in WWII is a wonderful opportunity to study dysfunctional organisations, the lunatics that reform them and the bizarre engineering attracts that get produced.
    Britain must have been the only country producing tank designs with non sloping armour in the latter half of the war.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

A Churchill or a T34 ?

The history of British tank design in WWII is a wonderful opportunity to study dysfunctional organisations, the lunatics that reform them and the bizarre engineering attracts that get produced.
    Anbd yet they ended up with Centurion - just too late to even test the few prototypes properly.
  • Options

Is there a "not" missing from that Tweet? If not I can't see what the problem is as both statements are compatible.
    Pierce can’t spell? I blame his teachers.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He won't be alone.

Truthfully, I don’t know. It depends on where we are with infections. It will possibly also depend on what happens at the DfE. Mass sackings there of ministers, civil servants and quangocrats would do wonders for restoring trust in the government which will be badly needed before schools reopen properly. At the moment, we’ve been lied to so often that it’s become axiomatic you disbelieve the DfE until you have hard evidence they’re telling the truth. Therefore, nobody will accept their assurances on going back or school safety.

I think if it’s a staged/phased reopening they will reopen primaries first, if that’s any comfort. The issue going beyond that is you can’t really reopen secondaries for 7 and 8 only as it buggers remote learning for everyone else, so there has to be some thought given to rotas. I seen no sign of that yet.
    That's ridiculous.

There's no single definition of love. You can show love however you want to do so. Most married couples I know openly love each other, but you wouldn't think they'd all show it the same way.

If you want to openly love the country celebrating what you consider its best traits (if that's for you nurses, Pride etc) then that's open love.

The problem is many seem to openly or covertly despise their own nation. That's the problem.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He won't be alone.

Teachers specifically, but the population at large should be equally sceptical. Whether they will be given how much everyone wants schools back is another question.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

A Churchill or a T34 ?

Anbd yet they ended up with Centurion - just too late to even test the few prototypes properly.
    Were you a tankie?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    edited February 2021
    Or perhaps the loyalties of the top generals to HM are not as absolute as we thought they were.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

A Churchill or a T34 ?

This is a real prize - a tank so awful it was kept to test students on how many things were wrong with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUABpR19SV4
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He won't be alone.

That's ridiculous.

There's no single definition of love. You can show love however you want to do so. Most married couples I know openly love each other, but you wouldn't think they'd all show it the same way.

If you want to openly love the country celebrating what you consider its best traits (if that's for you nurses, Pride etc) then that's open love.

The problem is many seem to openly or covertly despise their own nation. That's the problem.
    Eh?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

A Churchill tank perhaps?
    A Cromwell would give the right parliamentarian, non-conformist note.

But he cut of a monarch's head!!

Ok, scrub that..
    IIRC WSC wanted to name a dreadnought after Noll. HM was not in the least amused. I'm still surprised he got away with the tank, but tanks have never featured quite so high in Britnat mythology.
    Churchill got a USN Arleigh Burke named after him by Clinton. It still has one of the few RN permanent exchange postings to survive the collapse, sorry, development of the exchange program.
    Just for the bantz Biden should have a model of it made and put in a Whitehouse cludgie.
  • Options
    Oxford University and AstraZeneca plan to have a new Covid vaccine ready by the autumn to tackle new variants of the coronavirus, they confirmed today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9218963/Coronavirus-UK-Oxford-AstraZeneca-make-new-Covid-vaccine-AUTUMN.html
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,078
    Gove was floundering on GMS this morning , could not answer the question re vaccines , usual Tory lies where they count the fact that they have it on a spreadsheet as it has been done. They don't have the bollox to admit they just wanted to get all the low hanging fruit vaccinated to divert from their appalling record and the massive daily death rate. Union Jack had same issue on Sunday re availability of vaccine.

NS: "That's a deliberate choice the Government has made. It is a legitimate choice to have first of all focused on overall numbers, but if that is at the expense of the uptake in the groups most clinically vulnerable, it's not a choice I would've wanted to make."
    NS: "I heard Michael Gove on the radio this morning not able or willing to give a figure for how many residents in care homes in England have actually been vaccinated as opposed to being offered the vaccine."
    NS: "Scotgov has followed an approach that very deliberately concentrated on getting the most clinically vulnerable groups vaccinated first, and achieving as high an uptake in these groups as possible."
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

He won't be alone.

Teachers specifically, but the population at large should be equally sceptical. Whether they will be given how much everyone wants schools back is another question.
    Listen to that More or Less piece (it's at the end). Quite interesting. Very interesting for you.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

A Churchill or a T34 ?

Britain must have been the only country producing tank designs with non sloping armour in the latter half of the war.
    Not 'producing' - PzKpfw IV was fairly non-sloping even at the front (and most had more ort less vertical lower hull armour esp sides). Designing, perhaps.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,078
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

Why? It is a national honour. He lives in a country which uses knighthoods as recognition of achievement and hence accepted one.
    Like the rest of the Labour liars he has more faces than the town clock. Great socialists till they get in the trough and sight of an ermine robe.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

A Churchill or a T34 ?

Nice thought.

What revelation, please?

I notice that everyone seems to have missed the bit about the Black Prince tank being an utter waste of time, bordering on demented.

Quite so re BP. To build a tank like that with more armour and gun and not even change the engine ...!
    There was the hilarious proposal for the Black Prince Part Deux - Centurion turret, sloped front armour. Same engine.

I would really, really like to have been a fly on the wall when that got rejected.

Shades of the what the DNC said about the hybrid Lion battleship/aircraft proposal, probably - "evidence of mental aberration"
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Gove was floundering on GMS this morning , could not answer the question re vaccines , usual Tory lies where they count the fact that they have it on a spreadsheet as it has been done. They don't have the bollox to admit they just wanted to get all the low hanging fruit vaccinated to divert from their appalling record and the massive daily death rate. Union Jack had same issue on Sunday re availability of vaccine.

NS: "That's a deliberate choice the Government has made. It is a legitimate choice to have first of all focused on overall numbers, but if that is at the expense of the uptake in the groups most clinically vulnerable, it's not a choice I would've wanted to make."
    NS: "I heard Michael Gove on the radio this morning not able or willing to give a figure for how many residents in care homes in England have actually been vaccinated as opposed to being offered the vaccine."
    NS: "Scotgov has followed an approach that very deliberately concentrated on getting the most clinically vulnerable groups vaccinated first, and achieving as high an uptake in these groups as possible."

But the uptake amongst the most clinically vulnerable is about the same, isn't it?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

A Churchill or a T34 ?

Were you a tankie?
    No, just interestef in that part of history.
  • Options
    At least one football league is taking COVID seriously....

Fowler, like everyone else in the Indian Super League (ISL), has been stuck in Goa, on the opposite side of the subcontinent to East Bengal’s usual home of Kolkata, since October. “I use this term loosely but essentially we are in an open prison. People may say ‘You are in a five-star hotel’ but it’s a lockdown that we’ve been in for four or five months and we leave just to train and play games.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/03/robbie-fowler-sc-east-bengal-manager-india-liverpool
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

This is a distinction without a difference.

Are you suggesting that GPs should inject care home residents against their will if they refuse a vaccine. Offered=done unless they refused consent.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Oxford University and AstraZeneca plan to have a new Covid vaccine ready by the autumn to tackle new variants of the coronavirus, they confirmed today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9218963/Coronavirus-UK-Oxford-AstraZeneca-make-new-Covid-vaccine-AUTUMN.html

That's slower than I'd have liked.
  • Options
    20,000 a day are ignoring orders to isolate, Dido Harding reveals
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2021
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

But the uptake amongst the most clinically vulnerable is about the same, isn't it?
    The takeup amongst the most clinically vulnerable will be higher in England I bet, since there's more been done.

This attempt to confuse things about "offered" is a nonsense - nobody is proposing that those who refuse consent should be vaccinated.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2021
    MaxPB said:

I have been of the opinion for the past few weeks that the government see this as a sort of Forth bridge approach. We are going to do the whole population by end of summer and then go round around with the new versions of vaccines. The stated autumn timeline from Oxford matches with this.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

A Churchill or a T34 ?

Not 'producing' - PzKpfw IV was fairly non-sloping even at the front (and most had more ort less vertical lower hull armour esp sides). Designing, perhaps.
    Sorry, yes, designing is more accurate. The PzKpfw IV was a pre war design so not a lot they could do about that, but Comet, Challenger, Cromwell etc were all cutting edge (I use the term advisedly) stuff
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150

malcolmg said:

Are you suggesting that GPs should inject care home residents against their will if they refuse a vaccine. Offered=done unless they refused consent.
    As long as we are counting offers whose date of administration is in the past. Otherwise I could send an email out offering everyone a vaccination at some random date in the future. They aren't done.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

A Churchill or a T34 ?

Nice thought.

What revelation, please?

There was the hilarious proposal for the Black Prince Part Deux - Centurion turret, sloped front armour. Same engine.

I would really, really like to have been a fly on the wall when that got rejected.

Shades of the what the DNC said about the hybrid Lion battleship/aircraft proposal, probably - "evidence of mental aberration"
    There does seem to have been a sense of entitlement amongst certain firms and teams in the military-industrial complex, that they could design and/or produce en masse shite tanks (and aircraft) at public expense. No wonder the tankies called their first Ameican type a 'Honey' for its reliability.
  • Options
    Sky now making Boris's threat to invoke A16 their main story
  • Options
    mwadams said:

malcolmg said:

As long as we are counting offers whose date of administration is in the past. Otherwise I could send an email out offering everyone a vaccination at some random date in the future. They aren't done.
    Yes they're only counting completed offers.

If they weren't then the figures would be miles apart since many people already have first doses booked weeks in advance, or second doses booked in months in the future.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,429
    Selebian said:

"Greater depth" - does that mean the jabbers in Scotland jab a bit harder? :open_mouth:
    Is there any evidence that, say, Scotland have given more vaccinations to the over-85s than in England?

It would be worth knowing, if so.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

tlg86 said:

A Churchill or a T34 ?

Nice thought.

What revelation, please?

There does seem to have been a sense of entitlement amongst certain firms and teams in the military-industrial complex, that they could design and/or produce en masse shite tanks (and aircraft) at public expense. No wonder the tankies called their first Ameican type a 'Honey' for its reliability.
    Sir Arthur Harris suggested that he should be allowed to use "Russian methods" aka shooting on the management of certain aircraft manufacturers.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,150
    MaxPB said:

I was thinking that was impressively quick from sequencing the virus variants, designing the adjustments, through clinical trials, manufacturing and ready for distribution.

I am assuming that we will see something like this now on a rolling 6-monthly basis, and we will be getting boosters at least once a year for the forseeable.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Republicans are hugely overrepresented on this website.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336

He could just invade the South- that would be HYUFD's answer.
  • Options

kle4 said:

A sensation many Americans had every time they looked at the White House.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited February 2021
    MaxPB said:

Current jabs do have efficacy against the saffer variant though, these new ones will just have more.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Quarantine hotel worker at Australian Open tests positive - some players will have to isolate again
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Quarantine hotel worker at Australian Open tests positive - some players will have to isolate again

Why are they even bothering with the tournament?
  • Options

Has anyone told the EU procurement team?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Boris just said he will invoke Article 16 himself if the EU do not compromise on NI

I am sure that if I have not misheard he has just escalated the EU row

That's a mistake if so, he was doing so well.

He might consider the blunder by the EU gives him licence to act where he couldn't before.
    That is exactly what is happening. Emotional opportunism. I remember I once made a bad, high profile blunder at work. In the aftermath and for quite some time - a few weeks - I felt diminished and unable to stand up for myself in disputes, regardless of the rights and wrongs of those disputes. People took advantage. Not everyone but certain types did. The EC is me, here, and Johnson is one of those types. It makes sense what he's doing, but he should beware. I got all those people back.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Andy_JS said:

Of course you can be left-wing and patriotic. Jim Callaghan, Harold Wilson, Clement Atlee, George Orwell, etc.

Telling that one has to reach for figures from 40, 50, and 80 years ago...
    Yep. Before we became an oligarchy.

Now anybody who threatens the ruling class's grip on assets is attacked on "patriotic" grounds (I suppose they always were, but now there's really no right or power of reply).

It works, of course. Look at the dumbass flag-waving even on here, among people who are quite erudite and measured on many matters.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336
    Perhaps Nippy should field candidates in every UK seat. UK Labour finished, SNP majority in Westminster. A sort of reverse take over leading to an asset strip.
  • Options
    I reckon I should be Labour leader.

I love this country, what it stands for, what it's achieved in its past, and am a big believer in its mission for its future - I'm also an enthusiastic monarchist and I have no problem with flags coming out of my ears.

What's not to like?
  • Options

He could just invade the South- that would be HYUFD's answer.
    Don’t put the idea in his head. Remember, Churchill threatened to.
  • Options

Ursula Von Trapp played right into his hands.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/EuRollout/status/1356857096654979073?s=20
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827

MaxPB said:

How long ago did Starmer make those comments?

Bloke makes comments 16 years ago.

FFS.

I was a monarchist in 2005.

I'd be embarrassed to read back my cap-doffing quotes now, but guess what?

People's views change over time.
    Yup, don't think this makes any difference really.
    It doesn't, as long as people think that Starmer is genuine and says what he believes in. If they don't then it's a problem.
    That's right. It's not so much Keir Starmer himself, it's the Labour Party as a whole which has the problem. I can see why they want to try to change the perception that they are anti-British, but all this appearing in front of Union Jacks etc just looks fake. It's too transparently a response to focus group findings.
    Not much of a national flag, though, if it's the sole property of the Tory party and those to its right.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Is there any evidence that, say, Scotland have given more vaccinations to the over-85s than in England?

It would be worth knowing, if so.
    Data so far for England (for the week up to the 24th Jan) - we are going to get the next week of data tomorrow probably

Over 80s, first jab - 2,261,407 (79.7% of over 80s)
    Over 80s, second jab - 328,983 (11.6% of over 80s)

Source - https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/01/COVID-19-weekly-announced-vaccinations-28-January-2021.xlsx
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

Bye bye high ground.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,141

kle4 said:

It's a function of PBers commanding a far greater intelligence than the national average.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It's a function of PBers commanding a far greater intelligence than the national average.
    Then what am I doing on here?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Given all the additional Pfizer manufacturing capacity being built in Europe, I suspect the EU won't be buying any more AZ after the initial order is complete. With Pfizer having much higher efficacy trial results than AZ, they'll probably view it as them buying the Rolls-Royce of vaccines while the UK makes do with a Skoda.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Given all the additional Pfizer manufacturing capacity being built in Europe, I suspect the EU won't be buying any more AZ after the initial order is complete. With Pfizer having much higher efficacy trial results than AZ, they'll probably view it as them buying the Rolls-Royce of vaccines while the UK makes do with a Skoda.
    Have you seen the latest results from the AZ trials?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

And with similar differences in running costs.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Boris just said he will invoke Article 16 himself if the EU do not compromise on NI

He might consider the blunder by the EU gives him licence to act where he couldn't before.
    ... he should beware. I got all those people back.
    Ok, I think we should be scared of kinabalu and be nicer in future.
  • Options
    felix said:

kinabalu said:

You don't have to look that hard to find Starmer statements / actions at odds with his current inage. I mean he played up how much of a leftie he was during the leadership race, then immediately switched.

Starmer is a "nice guy" but views politics as a real-time tactical challenge of presentation and triangulation.

He risks losing everyone with that approach.
    And the risk isn't all to his right. Too much RW chasing could lose support in the MML (which is bigger than the RW). For example, on PT you told me that in order to win an election these days a Labour Party core value needs to be not just "loving your country" - which makes me squirm a bit but I can totally live with - but something rather more and rather different.

It must be OPENLY loving your country (you said).

I don't like that. I don't like that one bit. If that becomes a core Labour value I won't be voting Labour.
    Lol - there goes the majority. Purity, purity and keep the naffs out.
    You seem to make the same response regardless of what you're responding to. It's a neat trick. Frees up much time, I imagine.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_xP said:
    The Good Friday Agreement was a clever sleight of hand to allow everyone to believe what they wanted and to give them an excuse to back out of a violent way of life of which they had tired

It was designed in the context of both countries being part of the EU.

The mistake which the EU made was trying to use it as negotiating leverage. They said “the GFA is inviolable” thinking this would mean that the UK would have to stay in the customs union.

What they should actually have done is to figure out what the GFA was designed to achieve and come up with a new structure that achieves the same outcome in a situation where the UK is not part of the EU.

That can be fine but it takes patience and time. And the EU should not be part of it - ironically too much history 😊. It should be a discussion between the UK, RoI and the communities in NI.

For now they should extent the grace period for 4 years and figure it out without pressure of artificial deadlines. And if you have to extend again then so be it. This doesn’t upset anyone except EU purists.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

That is exactly what is happening. Emotional opportunism. I remember I once made a bad, high profile blunder at work. In the aftermath and for quite some time - a few weeks - I felt diminished and unable to stand up for myself in disputes, regardless of the rights and wrongs of those disputes. People took advantage. Not everyone but certain types did. The EC is me, here, and Johnson is one of those types. It makes sense what he's doing, but he should beware. I got all those people back.
    Worse, this isn't a Friday afternoon mess up, which everyone quickly acknowledged needed to be reversed. That was really bad, but this is in the cold light of day, when Boris was getting deserved plaudits for being so calm and mature.

The PM can't think beyond the end of his todger, can he?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,732
    JonathanD said:

That sounds like an expensive backside-cover for VDL.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,732

kle4 said:

If you can't explain it in a pattern of triangles, you probably need to go... :smile:
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

For clarification: is a patriotic Frenchman supposed to love our queen, the French pretender to the throne, or President Macron? You logic suggests it must be one of them.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,913
    edited February 2021
    JonathanD said:

Skoda VRS tho'. With blue lights on.

Lower maintenance and quicker.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,622

Perhaps Nippy should field candidates in every UK seat. UK Labour finished, SNP majority in Westminster. A sort of reverse take over leading to an asset strip.
    "Our nuclear deterrent"?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,015
    Good job NI has the best of both worlds.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I'm not convinced that's correct.

I think "the UK perhaps shouldn't continue with a monarchy, but that's not a priority now and should only be revisited once HMQ is no longer on the throne" is a not that uncommon thought nationwide.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JonathanD said:

Yes, 82.4% for AZ versus 95% for Pfizer.
  • Options
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

If you can't explain it in a pattern of triangles, you probably need to go... :smile:
    That's a relief: I can do pretty much anything with the right correct triangle.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

RobD said:

JonathanD said:

And both as effective as stopping serious illness. To say it's RR vs. Skoda is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Good Friday Agreement was a clever sleight of hand to allow everyone to believe what they wanted and to give them an excuse to back out of a violent way of life of which they had tired

It was designed in the context of both countries being part of the EU.

The mistake which the EU made was trying to use it as negotiating leverage. They said “the GFA is inviolable” thinking this would mean that the UK would have to stay in the customs union.

What they should actually have done is to figure out what the GFA was designed to achieve and come up with a new structure that achieves the same outcome in a situation where the UK is not part of the EU.

That can be fine but it takes patience and time. And the EU should not be part of it - ironically too much history 😊. It should be a discussion between the UK, RoI and the communities in NI.

For now they should extent the grace period for 4 years and figure it out without pressure of artificial deadlines. And if you have to extend again then so be it. This doesn’t upset anyone except EU purists.
    Absolutely logical.

It should have always been obvious to anyone that the decision on how trade would operate in the future would need to be done first and then determine how to do that trouble-free in NI, rather than the other way around.

The end of the Protocol and a 4 year transition period to negotiate a replacement would be eminently sensible.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JonathanD said:

RobD said:

JonathanD said:

And both as effective as stopping serious illness. To say it's RR vs. Skoda is ridiculous.
    Thst doesnt mean they wont say it.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

Yes, there is a big advantage to the AZ one being relatively cheap, although I think the 3 month gap in dosing is a problem. We probably need to be looking at developing a UK mRNA vaccine however since that seems to be the future.
  • Options
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/articles/overviewoftheukpopulation/july2017

Vaccination within different areas as a % of population SHOULD vary - 6% of Tower Hamlets over 65 in 2016, 32% of Norfolk North.
    As health needs increase with age the proportion of medical/care workers should be loosely correlated too - so the gap will be maintained.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I'm not convinced that's correct.

I think "the UK perhaps shouldn't continue with a monarchy, but that's not a priority now and should only be revisited once HMQ is no longer on the throne" is a not that uncommon thought nationwide.
    Thst makes it a fairly urgent priority then. Within this parliament is far from impossible.
  • Options

JonathanD said:

RobD said:

JonathanD said:

Wont matter when we're cruising to the pub in our Skodas whilst they are still waiting in their homes.
    Well said.

• Options
    JonathanD said:

JonathanD said:

Yes, there is a big advantage to the AZ one being relatively cheap, although I think the 3 month gap in dosing is a problem. We probably need to be looking at developing a UK mRNA vaccine however since that seems to be the future.
    Not just cheap though. The ability to store it in a normal fridge and transport it to patients rather than have them come to it is a big deal as well.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

No worries on that front, GSK/Curevac are going for it.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    RobD said:

JonathanD said:

RobD said:

JonathanD said:

I would never dream of owning a Skoda, but I hear these days they are basically just VWs made in Czech Republic. Have all the tech and mod-cons of a VW.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    JonathanD said:

And yet AZ showed 83% efficacy and it was up against the Brazilian and SA variants. They'd be completely stupid to not use it now out of spite, the only people who lose from this are the citizens of EU nations being let down by politicians game playing with vaccines.
  • Options
    The SCons turning on their pals, you love to see it.

Good play btw to appeal to de yout by having a 17 year old run your twitter account.

https://twitter.com/ScotTories/status/1356952463891390464?s=20
This discussion has been closed.