Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Next week’s Trump impeachment vote: Which way will McConnell vote? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited February 2021 in General
Next week’s Trump impeachment vote: Which way will McConnell vote? – politicalbetting.com

The above clip of Senate minority leader, Mitch McConnell, speaking to the Senate on the last day of the Trump presidency is a possible good pointer to a new market that Smarkets have up on what he specifically is going to do in the vote next week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    felix said:

Not the best idea when you have so few to ban.
    That's really not true. Pfizer's vaccine is now being manufactured under license by Novartis and Sanofi, and that's in addition to their own production facilties. Bayer has started manufacturing CureVac under license. AstraZeneca has plants in the EU making their vaccine.

The EU will be a net exporter of vaccines - I would reckon - by early in Q2.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    On topic.

He'll vote to acquit. Because he doesn't want to lose his role as Senate Minority Leader.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited February 2021
    Jack McConnell, right?

Not sure but he is a fantastic actor so I'm with him all the way.

Edit: O'Connell

That's my zinger out of the window.

But Jack O'Connell is still a great actor.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    4th, like Scotlands vaccination rate in the UK
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm with Smithson Jnr on this. The GOP - or at least the remaining sane parts of the GOP - may not want to act in a way that could be portrayed as being supportive of those who attacked the Capitol building, but they want even less to be portrayed as anti-Trump.

Part of the problem is that the Dems have rushed this. They should have held off while investigations continued.

Another part is that they shouldn't have impeached Trump last time, on frankly pretty tenuous grounds.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    rcs1000 said:

On topic.

He'll vote to acquit. Because he doesn't want to lose his role as Senate Minority Leader.

Yes, wiht the excuse that the trial is unconstitutional. The strategy is clear.

If the Dems were smart they would have found a way to force the Supreme Court to rule on the question one way or another.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    TOPPING said:

Jack McConnell, right?

Actor John McConnell reminds me of actor Ned Beatty, who was in one of my favorite comedies of all time, Hopscotch. An oldie, but good'un.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    edited February 2021
    Richard Nixon must be wondering why he had to resign. Mitch McConnell must also be wondering why Nixon resigned.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Jack McConnell, right?

Terrible politician and worse kilt wearer (he blocked me on twitter for posting that pic).

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    edited February 2021
    Not abandoned. Pivoted to fighting covid variants on the grounds that we have more than enough vaccines already for the original strain.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    Robert FPT

I suspect there will be a nontrivial amount of people who confound your view. I mean, lots of people never go to pubs and restaurants in normal times, so might well be agitating their continued closure.

My childless brother has been endlessly lobbying for schools to be closed, since well, this thing started. Which I found annoying, but I bit my tongue.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021

Not abandoned. Moved to fighting covid variants on the grounds that we have more than enough already for the original strain.
    Hopefully they will return to their work on mRNA tech as the UK is clearly behind on this and they appeared to have found an interesting development whereby their approach didn't need the -10000000 degrees storage and was more robust in general against things like being knocked in transport.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

Not the best idea when you have so few to ban.
    That's really not true. Pfizer's vaccine is now being manufactured under license by Novartis and Sanofi, and that's in addition to their own production facilties. Bayer has started manufacturing CureVac under license. AstraZeneca has plants in the EU making their vaccine.

The EU will be a net exporter of vaccines - I would reckon - by early in Q2.
    Ahem!

Strictly true right now - they need all of their own for their own people, me included. Q2 is some way off unless you think it makes sense to forecast a vaccine war in April. I suppose we could thank him for the early warning. Not sure what Clausewitz would make of it as a strategy.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242

Richard Nixon must be wondering why he had to resign. Mitch McConnell must also be wondering why Nixon resigned.

Aaron Burr must be wondering - "What did I do wrong again?"
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    edited February 2021
    FPT:

rcs1000 said:
    » show previous quotes
    "Do that.

By the way the Australians got rid of their lockdown after they got rid of CV19 (as did the Chinese and the New Zealanders and Hong Kong). What is it you think is different about the UK that makes the politicians uniquely desperate to do something incredibly unpopular?"

I think that my concern is based on the prevailing notion that lockdown = good, freedoms = bad.

I`m worried that a few dynamics will remain in play to bolster the prevailing view for longer than people think.

For example: opposition parties making political capital out of every relaxation that the government suggests; devolved parliaments doing similarly; the government itself being populists and not leaders; Sunak extending financial support again (perhaps even broadening it); the media`s constant presentation of statistics either wrongly or in the worst light; stories like "he had the vaccine and still caught Covid" do the rounds; and "she can`t have a vaccine for x reason and we still have to protect her"; "the sun is shining now so lockdown is not so bad again and I`m off work being paid" etc etc.

As I say, I hope you are right but I think my concern is justified.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

rcs1000 said:

On topic.

If the Dems were smart they would have found a way to force the Supreme Court to rule on the question one way or another.
    The Supreme Court would have thrown the question out citing the limits of their own scope.
  • Options
    Cocaine Mitch is such a tease, or as we say in Yorkshire, all fart and no follow through, he won't vote to convict.
  • Options
    Very sad - but with a 100 year old hardly unexpected. Overall, deaths are starting to fall a little more rapidly:

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Just seen this, probably already discussed on here:

"UK compromising safety over Covid-19 vaccine, says Ursula von der Leyen

Britain failed its “gigantic responsibility” to ensure the proper safety of vaccines and the European Union should be proud of its strategy, Ursula von der Leyen said today."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-compromising-safety-over-covid-19-vaccine-says-ursula-von-der-leyen-lbk60pzlf
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    He'll vote for McConnell. Lament the Dems are pushing ahead with a radical agenda and coincidentally he thinks case not proven.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Unfortunately I think when that statement came out and that the family were being allowed to be with him, it was clear where it was heading.

Very sad....especially the unfortunate series of events that meant that he didn't / couldn't get vaccinated. Although he got his bucket list wish which is great.
  • Options

Not abandoned. Pivoted to fighting covid variants on the grounds that we have more than enough vaccines already for the original strain.
    I believe it was on the grounds that several parts of their approach were experimental, and therefore development would almost certainly take longer than other approaches.
  • Options
    Anecdata.

Sainsbury's -- council handing out free masks outside. Running out of Coke, cat food and fish. Fruit and veg hit and miss, possibly Brexit related as British, South African and Chilean goods were there.

Vaccinations of friends:-
    Person A, AZ/Oxford -- no queue; jabbed on arrival an hour early; no side-effects.
    Person B, AZ/Oxford -- long but fast-moving queue; jabbed after 15 mins; 2 days of side-effects.
    Person C, Sputnik -- walk-in centre in Moscow (not rationed by age or occupation).
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    So, Ynys Mon is exempt from the quota.

I did not know that -- I thought the argument was (unlike the other exempt islands) Ynys Mon was connected to the mainland by a bridge and so the exemption did not apply.

If so, that is good news for the Tories & PC in Ynys Mon -- as the Labour stronghold of Bangor cannot be joined with Ynys Mon to make a reasonably safe Labour seat.

Though the current Tory MP richly deserves the boot, the seat will stay a 3 way marginal.
  • Options
    Farewell Sir Tom. A hero to the last.
  • Options
    It is a shame the government did not throw more money at Imperial scientists but iirc moving to mass production would have cost more.
  • Options

Yeah, I'm with Smithson Jnr on this. The GOP - or at least the remaining sane parts of the GOP - may not want to act in a way that could be portrayed as being supportive of those who attacked the Capitol building, but they want even less to be portrayed as anti-Trump.

Part of the problem is that the Dems have rushed this. They should have held off while investigations continued.

Another part is that they shouldn't have impeached Trump last time, on frankly pretty tenuous grounds.

They got carried away last time. I think the rush argument this time is harder, as the more time goes on the more they see the political cost of not supporting Trump and start to act in short term interest.

The decision is ultimately political, more investigative time would not have helped - most Republicans have already decided it's wrong on a process level.

Lesson - commit crimes in your lame duck period, and no one will care.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    On the vaccination figures it looks like we won't have another day where we do fewer than required to hit the target. Could coast from here.

Time for another new target then. Do they have a target date for all nine of the JCVI priority groups?
  • Options

Anecdata.

Sainsbury's -- council handing out free masks outside. Running out of Coke, cat food and fish. Fruit and veg hit and miss, possibly Brexit related as British, South African and Chilean goods were there.

Person A, AZ/Oxford -- no queue; jabbed on arrival an hour early; no side-effects.
    Person B, AZ/Oxford -- long but fast-moving queue; jabbed after 15 mins; 2 days of side-effects.
    Person C, Sputnik -- walk-in centre in Moscow (not rationed by age or occupation).

Two family members got AZ today from centres that appear to have been exclusively doing Pfizer up to then.

Shortages? Or government going safety first just in case the EU decide to throw another Cartman tantrum?
  • Options
    edited February 2021

It is a shame the government did not throw more money at Imperial scientists but iirc moving to mass production would have cost more.
    Hopefully in the near future the government do, because mRNA is the future and it appears the UK is behind Germany and the US in this.
  • Options

Very sad - but with a 100 year old hardly unexpected. Overall, deaths are starting to fall a little more rapidly:

Cases and admissions dropping like a stone now.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Anecdata.

Two family members got AZ today from centres that appear to have been exclusively doing Pfizer up to then.

Shortages? Or government going safety first just in case the EU decide to throw another Cartman tantrum?
    Well, we know we can't trust them so that would make sense
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

That's why i think Sturgeon is ballsy and right to get Scottish kids back into school.
  • Options
    Speaking of the Daily Mail (eg @FrancisUrquhart's link) their web site is getting harder and harder to read with all the pop-up videos and adverts. Guido's is even worse. I guess in the short term it brings in the moolah but, well, perhaps they follow Keynes on the long term.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited February 2021
    Friend (66) has had her appointment by post yesterday for her jag at the Louisa Jordan on Thursday. She just received an email saying she must book her appointment plus second one after 4 weeks within 12 hours otherwise they'd be lost, please enter your credit/debit card details etc. She'd probably have realised it was a scam even if she hadn't already had her appointment but still..
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    edited February 2021
    For once he asks a good question. From a fatuous premise.....

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1356632025395056642?s=20

Of course the UK has not put "all its eggs" in the AZ basket.....
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

I did not know that -- I thought the argument was (unlike the other exempt islands) Ynys Mon was connected to the mainland by a bridge and so the exemption did not apply.

If so, that is good news for the Tories & PC in Ynys Mon -- as the Labour stronghold of Bangor cannot be joined with Ynys Mon to make a reasonably safe Labour seat.

Though the current Tory MP richly deserves the boot, the seat will stay a 3 way marginal.
    All the island exemptions should be scrapped now we don't need to conciliate the LDs.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    week on week, cases down 16%, tests up 18%.

If you ignore the test rise and believe the rate of case decline has stalled, that matches with ZOE stall last week, but has since accelerated significantly over the weekend so should see the case fall pick up again shortly in the official stats
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    FPT
    felix said:

The example closer to home can’t be mentioned.
    https://twitter.com/macaesbruno/status/1356625948016263172?s=21

Lol - when you deliberately omit to mention the best example on your doorstep it is actually worse than just saying it.
    He's the President of the Republic.

Plus ca change etc...
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Speaking of the Daily Mail (eg @FrancisUrquhart's link) their web site is getting harder and harder to read with all the pop-up videos and adverts. Guido's is even worse. I guess in the short term it brings in the moolah but, well, perhaps they follow Keynes on the long term.

Along with the Express, the Mail's website has joined the list of sites I don't bother going to. Partly what you said, partly the content is rarely worth the effort.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Just heard from my dad than both he and my mum have been jabbed today. I didn't even know they'd been contacted!

Did they get the proper one or the pseudo one?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

Just heard from my dad than both he and my mum have been jabbed today. I didn't even know they'd been contacted!

Great news.
  • Options

I'm not convinced impeachment last time was a mistake. Actually in a parallel universe where they didn't impeach him last time then Trump may have won the election.

Logic:
    Trump was obviously conspiring to take down Biden with the Hunter Biden nonsense.
    This conspiracy was revealed and Trumps corruption in dealing with Ukraine was revealed.
    By doing impeachment this story was aired to everyone.
    Then during the election the Trumpists "revealed" the Hunter Biden allegations, the dodgy laptop and all that other nonsense.
    But much to Trumps obvious chargrin the Hunter story refused to take off.
    After the impeachment it was an old story done to death.
    Had it not been for impeachment this story might have taken off. Been like "her emails".
    It wouldn't have taken a dramatic swing for Trump to have won re-election.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826

Every single Care Home jab is AZ is it not?

Nearly all jabs going forward in over 70s too methinks.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    TimT said:

Along with the Express, the Mail's website has joined the list of sites I don't bother going to. Partly what you said, partly the content is rarely worth the effort.
    Out of interest, have you replaced them with others, or just narrowed the field?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Hmm, just trying to make sense of the Russian vaccine paper, it's even messier than the AZ trial.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    TimT said:

Actually during the pandemic the Mail have been pretty good at highlighting new academic research. Their take on it not necessarily, but they pretty much always provide the link to the source, which has been a lot better than nearly all the other newspapers.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

All the island exemptions should be scrapped now we don't need to conciliate the LDs.
    Was it to conciliate them? The exempted areas are currently 2 Tory MPs (though 1 was Labour) and an SNP MP
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

The sustained steep case drop has to be a feature of the new variant, infect quickly, decline quickly.
  • Options

Well they have been asked to wait 15 mins, so I assume Pfizer (Dad didn't ask!)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    TimT said:
    Oh, to discover in your one hundredth year what your real purpose in life was still to be....

I guess there's going to be one hell of a final collection.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

There is something slightly mad about using scarce vaccine on the 60 and under population, when the deaths are mostly in the age groups above that. It's not a total waste of time, as hopefully transmission will be reduced, but it sure as hell won't save as many lives.
  • Options

Anecdata.

Or coincidence? In LA, the vaccine centers don't know on a day-to-day basis which vaccine type will arrive.
  • Options
    RIP Captain Sir Tom.

100 years old and a hero to the end. That's made me sad but it was a very good innings; it won't be much comfort but his family should be so very proud of him.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

The sustained steep case drop has to be a feature of the new variant, infect quickly, decline quickly.
    The prediction from people like Feigl-Ding and the Danes (no, not a progressive rock group) was the exact opposite though. I wonder when we'll know for certain.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Given most GOP voters oppose Trump's impeachment it is hard to see how McConnell can stay Minority Leader if he votes to convict so he would have to retire after
  • Options
    More proof Whitty is an alien? Not even wearing a jacket on February 2nd. Even if it isn't cold it will likely rain!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJhyrkkL-cU&feature=emb_logo
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,098
    Andy_JS said:

Britain failed its “gigantic responsibility” to ensure the proper safety of vaccines and the European Union should be proud of its strategy, Ursula von der Leyen said today."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-compromising-safety-over-covid-19-vaccine-says-ursula-von-der-leyen-lbk60pzlf

Can she get any more disgraceful?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884

That's why i think Sturgeon is ballsy and right to get Scottish kids back into school.
    Not sure about that. If they can go back to school and cases continue to fall then go for it.

If cases are subsequently steady or increasing then that will provide a breeding ground for bad variants.

We need to be in a position where children are at school AND cases are still falling.

That might need a few more vaccinations (especially in Scotland).

We don't want any more lockdowns after this one.

• Options

What age, if I might ask? It's interesting to track how far down the age range we are going.
  • Options

Anecdata.

So far from people I know of vaccinated, all the ones in London got Pfizer and all the ones elsewhere got Oxford.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Anecdata.

Or coincidence? In LA, the vaccine centers don't know on a day-to-day basis which vaccine type will arrive.
    It is also another possibility.

Although I know for certain one of the centres, it has been Pfizer basically every day since it opened, because one of my family members, all their friends message each other about when they were getting it, what they got, and of course all the local gossip.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options

rcs1000 said:

On topic.

How do congressional Democrats (or anyone else for that matter) "force" SCOTUS to make a ruling, on this or anything? I mean, from perspective of US constitutional law & practice?
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and by 100k population

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Hmm, just trying to make sense of the Russian vaccine paper, it's even messier than the AZ trial.

Given the willingness of the Russians to be extremely dodgy and commit outright fraud with data, is there any reason to trust the data in this trial?

Has there been any independent monitoring or verification of the data like there is with western trials?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

More proof Whitty is an alien? Not even wearing a jacket on February 2nd. Even if it isn't cold it will likely rain!

Newcastle lads on a night out say "Respect...."
  • Options
    UK local R

• Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

Not like anything else might be contributing... (e.g. vaccination of frontline NHS, so fewer hospital acquired infections, vaccination ~ 20% of the adult population, being in lockdown for four weeks).
    We don't really get to see how the cases fell in April/May, as the testing wasn't available. I'd love to be able to compare.
  • Options
    glw said:

There is something slightly mad about using scarce vaccine on the 60 and under population, when the deaths are mostly in the age groups above that. It's not a total waste of time, as hopefully transmission will be reduced, but it sure as hell won't save as many lives.
    Indeed, of the

What age, if I might ask? It's interesting to track how far down the age range we are going.
    They are both in their early seventies.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

kle4 said:

Newcastle lads on a night out say "Respect...."
    And lasses. Be fair.
  • Options

Nixon resigned because he knew the US Senate would vote to convict him. That's why.
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    kle4 said:

If you look very carefully, you can see his purple lizard tail extruding from the seat of his trousers.
  • Options
    UK R

From case data

From hospitalisations

• Options

Friend (66) has had her appointment by post yesterday for her jag at the Louisa Jordan on Thursday. She just received an email saying she must book her appointment plus second one after 4 weeks within 12 hours otherwise they'd be lost, please enter your credit/debit card details etc. She'd probably have realised it was a scam even if she hadn't already had her appointment but still..

I partly admire the ability of these scammers to find an angle to exploit so quickly.

I partly want them to be found and left in an underground, sound-proofed room with a bunch of pissed-up squaddies.....whose grannies they scammed.
  • Options

Aaron Burr was acquitted at HIS trial, with Chief Justice John Marshall as judge.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    MaxPB said:

Captain Tom was 101, we should celebrate what he achieved, not be sad that he's died.

He was 100 we should celebrate what he achieved and be sad that he has died

RIP
  • Options
    Age related data

• Options

Not like anything else might be contributing... (e.g. vaccination of frontline NHS, so fewer hospital acquired infections, vaccination ~ 20% of the adult population, being in lockdown for four weeks).
    We don't really get to see how the cases fell in April/May, as the testing wasn't available. I'd love to be able to compare.
    Yep loads of good reasons for a steepening of the fall - NHS superspreaders vaccinated, most of the worst social distancers will already have copped it by now so we can assume the people catching it now are better behaved than earlier in the piece. And we're definitely at the stage where the 3rd Jan vaccine push will start to have an impact which will only grow.
  • Options

Aaron Burr was acquitted at HIS trial, with Chief Justice John Marshall as judge.
    Trump's going to be so lucky - the only president to be declared super duper innocent TWICE.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited February 2021
    Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

Can she get any more disgraceful?
    It’s a fairly brave statement to make when the U.K. is starting to see the (positive) results of a 9m person trial.... She’s going to look (even more) foolish.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

I partly admire the ability of these scammers to find an angle to exploit so quickly.

I partly want them to be found and left in an underground, sound-proofed room with a bunch of pissed-up squaddies.....whose grannies they scammed.
    I always wonder what good genuine business ideas they could come up with if they really put their minds to it. Who knows they might well actually be worth more than these scams.
  • Options
    UK vaccination data

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

Well they have been asked to wait 15 mins, so I assume Pfizer (Dad didn't ask!)
    It'll be on their certificates.
This discussion has been closed.