Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Those betting that the Senate will vote to convict Trump should probably take heart from McConnell –

Comments

• Options
    RobD said:

Wasn't someone on earlier saying these pics were probably not even current and possibly staged (by the EU and ScotGov funded ‘trade association' no doubt)?

https://twitter.com/JMPSimor/status/1351511829672030209?s=20

Its the apocalypsofuck. These industries are going to collapse. Not because of a referendum asking if we should leave the EU. Because of political decisions to destroy British trade to appease morons.
    Amazing that they managed 20x just the day before.
    A magnificent 40% instant drop vs normal, with some days an absolute ghost town! Thats what every healthy business looks like. Obviously.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

I've read that Melania Trump hasn't followed the tradition of previous First ladies by offering Jill Biden tea and a tour of the White House.

That just sounds mean-spirited and so typical of the Trump brand.

I wouldn't accept without a FFP3 mask and airtight goggles given how covid-happy the Trumps are - and that rather obviates the tea bit.
    No-one voted for Melania Trump and no-one voted for Jill Biden. The whole First Lady thing is overblown.
    Not really, certainly NOT in American history. Because the President is NOT just head of government, but also head of state. Thus from 1789 through 2021, the wife of the President has the same (or very similar) social and cultural status as Prince Philip.

When I say social do NOT mean upper-crust society of the hoity-toity kind, even in half-baked colonial fashion. Instead, the expectations of the mass of American people, most especially the majority of American woman.

My own mother, a child of the Great Depression who did not outlive the Reagan administration, was definitely a Democrat but not very politically-minded. She did, however, take an interest in the personalities and activities of all the First Ladies starting from when she was a girl and Eleanor Roosevelt was FLOTUS.

The lens through which she viewed and judged First Ladies was NOT political, nor partisan.
    > Her favorite was Pat Nixon, whom she admired for being a loyal wife, good mother, well-spoken and classy.

>Her least favorite was Jacqueline Kennedy, despite (or perhaps because) fact that she was enthusiastic Irish Catholic Democratic JFK supporter; in addition to wee touch of jealousy think she thought Jackie was too much of an elitist for her taste.

That was then. BUT even today, the FLOTUS still matters. The personalities, activities, problems and achievements of the First Ladies have been the stuff of our history and politics since Martha Washington, and always will.

BTW my own personal favorite First Lady is Dolley Madison. The extrovert Philadelphia widow & bombshell who turned White House entertaining into a major political asset for her way-more introverted hubby James Madison. His forte was writing the Constitution and creating the foundation for government; hers was lubricating the workings of that government with rum punch and a ready smile.

Dolley also, as every American schoolchild used to know, before the British were able to burn the White House during the War of 1812 (aka Mr Madison's War) she ordered the Gilbert Stuart painting of George Washington taken down and removed to safety. By the White House slaves. Nevertheless, she did it, and we'll never forget it.

Certainly impact of Mrs. Madison on her times AND subsequent generations was NOT overblown. Same can be said for Mary Toddy Lincoln and Eleanor Roosevelt. Similar case can be made for Jackie Kennedy and Nancy Reagan, for Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama. And others.

In one sense, you are right - it IS overblown! But that's just how it is, or a least has been.
    Melania has been the most beautiful and elegant First Lady since Jackie Kennedy though, no doubt about that
    Good grief what planet are you on!?

Do you call this elegant?...

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/10/02/melania-trump-audio-recording-christmas-stephanie-winston-wolkoff-sot-ac360-vpx.cnn
    What has her views on the Christmas decorations got to do with it? Visually she has been the most beautiful First Lady since Jackie Kennedy, no question
    "Should've gone to Specsavers!"
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

Wasn't someone on earlier saying these pics were probably not even current and possibly staged (by the EU and ScotGov funded ‘trade association' no doubt)?

I do wish people would do a little bit of research before they repeat bollocks like this.

Today there were 418 boxes from 3 vessels landed. (Not the 220 claimed in the tweet)

But guess what.

Yesterday there were 4333 boxes landed from 19 vessels.
    Last Monday there were 6370 boxes landed from 20 vessels

Yes I am sure Brexit is having an effect but this sort of cherry picking of numbers to try and con people - and the fact so many on here are stupid enough to fall for it - just shows how desperate some people are for Brexit to fail.

You can look at all the numbers on the Peterhead port authority site. I reckon looking at the numbers on there and comparing to last year that landings are down by about 40%. This is bad. But the idea it has completely collapsed is just garbage.
    https://www.peterheadport.co.uk/fish-auction/

Hmmm... Total boxes landed

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

Seems to vary wildly.....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

I've read that Melania Trump hasn't followed the tradition of previous First ladies by offering Jill Biden tea and a tour of the White House.

I wouldn't accept without a FFP3 mask and airtight goggles given how covid-happy the Trumps are - and that rather obviates the tea bit.
    No-one voted for Melania Trump and no-one voted for Jill Biden. The whole First Lady thing is overblown.
    Not really, certainly NOT in American history. Because the President is NOT just head of government, but also head of state. Thus from 1789 through 2021, the wife of the President has the same (or very similar) social and cultural status as Prince Philip.

When I say social do NOT mean upper-crust society of the hoity-toity kind, even in half-baked colonial fashion. Instead, the expectations of the mass of American people, most especially the majority of American woman.

My own mother, a child of the Great Depression who did not outlive the Reagan administration, was definitely a Democrat but not very politically-minded. She did, however, take an interest in the personalities and activities of all the First Ladies starting from when she was a girl and Eleanor Roosevelt was FLOTUS.

The lens through which she viewed and judged First Ladies was NOT political, nor partisan.
    > Her favorite was Pat Nixon, whom she admired for being a loyal wife, good mother, well-spoken and classy.

>Her least favorite was Jacqueline Kennedy, despite (or perhaps because) fact that she was enthusiastic Irish Catholic Democratic JFK supporter; in addition to wee touch of jealousy think she thought Jackie was too much of an elitist for her taste.

That was then. BUT even today, the FLOTUS still matters. The personalities, activities, problems and achievements of the First Ladies have been the stuff of our history and politics since Martha Washington, and always will.

BTW my own personal favorite First Lady is Dolley Madison. The extrovert Philadelphia widow & bombshell who turned White House entertaining into a major political asset for her way-more introverted hubby James Madison. His forte was writing the Constitution and creating the foundation for government; hers was lubricating the workings of that government with rum punch and a ready smile.

Dolley also, as every American schoolchild used to know, before the British were able to burn the White House during the War of 1812 (aka Mr Madison's War) she ordered the Gilbert Stuart painting of George Washington taken down and removed to safety. By the White House slaves. Nevertheless, she did it, and we'll never forget it.

Certainly impact of Mrs. Madison on her times AND subsequent generations was NOT overblown. Same can be said for Mary Toddy Lincoln and Eleanor Roosevelt. Similar case can be made for Jackie Kennedy and Nancy Reagan, for Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama. And others.

In one sense, you are right - it IS overblown! But that's just how it is, or a least has been.
    Melania has been the most beautiful and elegant First Lady since Jackie Kennedy though, no doubt about that

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/10/02/melania-trump-audio-recording-christmas-stephanie-winston-wolkoff-sot-ac360-vpx.cnn
    What has that got to do with anything? Visually she is the most beautiful First Lady since Jackie Kennedy, no question
    HYUFD: She is beautiful and elegant
    Benpointer: She's not elegant
    HYUFD: What's that got to do with anything? She is beautiful

You literally stated she was elegant. Someone else claimed she is not elegant. How can you claim elegance has nothing to do with this when you were the one who brought it up?
    Elegance is also largely to do with appearance and I included 'and' alongside beautiful so beauty as well as elegance was the requirement
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Elegant? Really?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:

Its the apocalypsofuck. These industries are going to collapse. Not because of a referendum asking if we should leave the EU. Because of political decisions to destroy British trade to appease morons.
    A magnificent 40% instant drop vs normal, with some days an absolute ghost town! Thats what every healthy business looks like. Obviously.
    Thankfully someone posted some actual stats to demonstrate how variable it is. Of course you can make a story out of it if you pick the absolute slowest day.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    MaxPB said:

The China hawks will be back.
    Yup, they have the numbers and know it now. I think they will be pushing very hard for our accession into the CPTPP so the UK has a more offensive strategy rather than just playing defence all the time. One of the big challenges ahead for Boris and Joe is building a coalition to take on China, our accession to the CPTPP should be followed by the US joining it as a ready made way to bolster US interests in APAC and win back a lot of Asian countries that are wavering on Taiwan etc...
    This is another of these areas where Trump was actively damaging to both US and Western interests.

China respects power. And (CP)TPP was designed to create an Asian power bloc to counterbalance China. It was to be a free trade area that set standards for intellectual property protection that people would want to be in, rather than choosing the embrace of China.

(CP)TPP with the US, and with the UK, would have been a fearsome thing.

Unfortunately, the US pulling out of it has done nothing to make their trade deficit better (2020 will be the worst current account deficit since George W Bush was President) while failing (so far) to pull countries out of China's orbit.

If we were to join, and the US were to join, it would hopefully act as a counterweight to China.

But I'm not confident.
  • Options

So you support posting false claims to support your case. Says a lot about your honesty and integrity.
    I'll take your comments on my integrity with the level of respect they deserve.

40% down on average. With days where there's almost nothing. Is not an industry that is sustainable. Never mind one that was supposed to have been resurrected by Brexit.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    edited January 2021

Pulpstar said:

When do we find out who the lucky recipients of Trump's pardons will be ?

Hoping to be on the list?
    Accepting a pardon is admission of guilt - what have you done?

Of course may not want to reply in case he pardons you for something else.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Thankfully someone posted some actual stats to demonstrate how variable it is. Of course you can make a story out of it if you pick the absolute slowest day.
    In case anyone is suggesting the tweet was a hack reporting job, it was fed to the Twitter OP by the guy who runs that facility.

So their Boss thinks its a disaster. You and others on here think its a success. I wonder who knows more about it...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

What has her views on the Christmas decorations got to do with it? Visually she has been the most beautiful First Lady since Jackie Kennedy, no question
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

You said 'most beautiful and elegant'. No way was Melania behaving elegantly in that tape.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Jackie wowed the American people with her televised tour of the White House.

AND knocked the socks off the crown head of Europe, in competition with Eva Peron.

Melania? Not so much.
    Our current Queen was a bit of a looker at about the same time. Sadly, unless young George takes after his mother more than his father, we are not going to be graced with much in the way of looks on the throne for the foreseeable.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    edited January 2021
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

What has that got to do with anything? Visually she is the most beautiful First Lady since Jackie Kennedy, no question
    HYUFD: She is beautiful and elegant
    Benpointer: She's not elegant
    HYUFD: What's that got to do with anything? She is beautiful

You literally stated she was elegant. Someone else claimed she is not elegant. How can you claim elegance has nothing to do with this when you were the one who brought it up?
    Elegance is also largely to do with appearance and I included 'and' alongside beautiful so beauty as well as elegance was the requirement
    Which rebuts your quesiton about 'what's that got to do with anything?' Whilst you might not agree with Benpointer's assessment of Melania's elegance, he disputed the elegance, therefore by your own terms it is relevant because in his view she does not have both beauty and elegance.

Again, you may disagree, but the point was clearly something to do with your own defined approach of having both. There was just a different view of what constitutes elegance. Behaviour can also be elegant.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

When do we find out who the lucky recipients of Trump's pardons will be ?

Hoping to be on the list?
    I beg your pardon?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:

RobD said:

In case anyone is suggesting the tweet was a hack reporting job, it was fed to the Twitter OP by the guy who runs that facility.

So their Boss thinks its a disaster. You and others on here think its a success. I wonder who knows more about it...
    Who says I think it's a success? I'm just pointing out that it is hardly representative when you consider the day before they had 20x as many boxes in there.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,557

I do wish people would do a little bit of research before they repeat bollocks like this.

Today there were 418 boxes from 3 vessels landed. (Not the 220 claimed in the tweet)

But guess what.

Yes I am sure Brexit is having an effect but this sort of cherry picking of numbers to try and con people - and the fact so many on here are stupid enough to fall for it - just shows how desperate some people are for Brexit to fail.

You can look at all the numbers on the Peterhead port authority site. I reckon looking at the numbers on there and comparing to last year that landings are down by about 40%. This is bad. But the idea it has completely collapsed is just garbage.
    Yes, the risk with hugely overstating your case is that no-one listens to it at all.
    Quite so. A bit like those who claim that 'wokeism' is the biggest threat to western civilisation; people just stop listening. :)
    I didn't say that. You can read what I said about the threat to Western civilisation here:

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/11/15/the-fall-of-the-west/
    It was just a gentle jibe, honest. Yes, I read the very good header you refer to, and agreed with much of it.
  • Options

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

It does. One reason of course is it is massively weather dependent. It also depends on where the boats are fishing and how long skippers stay out. It certainly isn't something you can judge based on a couple of days landings.

As I say, looking at the data so far this year I would say the numbers of boxes are down around 40% compared to last year. But even that might not be representative overall. It could be more or less than that and there is no way to judge it except to say the problems at Dover etc must be having some effect.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

You said 'most beautiful and elegant'. No way was Melania behaving elegantly in that tape.
    Elegance 'the quality of being graceful and attractive in appearance or behaviour'.

So as long as you are attractive in appearance you can still be elegant regardless of behaviour

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/elegance

In any case Jackie Kennedy was very fussy about White House decor and decorations too.
  • Options

So you've watched the pee pee tape as well.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    That extract from McConnell shows the danger of this somewhat pointless impeachment process as I set out yesterday. The Republicans walk away from Trump, nothing to do with us guv. After 4 years of shit they just walk away.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,444
    edited January 2021

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

It's worth bearing in mind few were landed today because many were on a protest in London yesterday.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

And yet he didn't think to tweet the previous day when landings were normal?

• Options
    edited January 2021

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Elegant? I was all on board with you for the invasion of Scotland, HYUFD, but this time you've gone too far!
    He has helpfully defined elegance as also being related to her being beautiful (yes, it can be a part of it), therefore he actually meant beautiful and beautiful perhaps.
  • Options

So you support posting false claims to support your case. Says a lot about your honesty and integrity.

40% down on average. With days where there's almost nothing. Is not an industry that is sustainable. Never mind one that was supposed to have been resurrected by Brexit.
    Well you clearly have no integrity if you continue to back that tweet. Either that or you are too thick to understand basic maths.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Elegance 'the quality of being graceful and attractive in appearance or behaviour'.

So as long as you are attractive in appearance you can still be elegant regardless of behaviour

Can be, but are not guaranteed to be - notice the 'or behaviour' part. Someone can also be beautiful but lacking in elegance.

Why didn't you just say beautiful if you are also defining elegance solely by physical beauty?

This is the strangest example of you digging your heels in that I have ever seen.
  • Options
    According to the farmers its as bad with mincey the cow exports

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/brexit-serious-loss-in-meat-export-trade
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden will hopefully be the most boring president since George HW Bush, which is arguably just what the US needs.

HW had a number of features - boring wasn't one of them. Understated, maybe.

This was the guy who built a military coalition that included the Arabs and the Israelis - fighting on the same side.

And used rock music to get Noriega into prison.
    And vomited copiously over the Japanese PM.
    And pardoning the Iran Contra criminals.
  • Options

Well you clearly have no integrity if you continue to back that tweet. Either that or you are too thick to understand basic maths.
    Ooh get her!

• Options

Accidently stumbled across it whilst searching for an new golden shower head to go with our golden bath taps (if Mrs. P asks).
  • Options

But guess what.

Yes, the risk with hugely overstating your case is that no-one listens to it at all.
    The road to Wigan Pier claims from the media made out of Coalition government slowing of increases of many aspects of public spending being a great example.
  • Options

To be fair you rage against Brexit everyday and are hardly a neutral observer

I would suggest you need to calm down, and see how this pans out over the next few months

Fishing has always been an erratic industry and I think there may be some very anti Brexit propaganda going on, when in truth I doubt it is really registering with most as they fight covid

I have read the Irish and others are furious about the way their fishing has been compromised and I expect to see matters improve in the coming months
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden will hopefully be the most boring president since George HW Bush, which is arguably just what the US needs.

This was the guy who built a military coalition that included the Arabs and the Israelis - fighting on the same side.

He was the best President of my lifetime, won the Gulf War with an international coalition, ended the Cold War on his watch, cut the deficit, agreed climate targets at the Rio Summmit, took action for the disabled.
  • Options

But guess what.

The tweet was at midday and since the tweeter put the link to the Peterhead port authority site herself, I'd imagine the figs were correct at the time.

If Brexiteers are happy to accept that landings are down by 40% due to Brexit and the fishing sector just has to suck it up, cool. However those who say it's a good deal that the fishermen just don't understand, that is indeed a leaking bin bag of 2 week old garbage.
  • Options

Accidently stumbled across it whilst searching for an new golden shower head to go with our golden bath taps (if Mrs. P asks).
    My biggest ever internet faux pas.

I decided to google information on the new film starring Vin Diesel.

Without thinking I decided to google 'XXX movie'.

As you can imagine the search results were 'interesting'.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Can be, but are not guaranteed to be - notice the 'or behaviour' part. Someone can also be beautiful but lacking in elegance.

Why didn't you just say beautiful if you are also defining elegance solely by physical beauty?

This is the strangest example of you digging your heels in that I have ever seen.
    @HYUFD can easily settle this with a Trafalgar poll showing 63% (exc. don't knows) find Melania (“I’m working … my arse off on the Christmas stuff, that you know, who gives a fuck about the Christmas stuff and decorations?”) to be fragrant, beautiful and elegant.

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Well that was your story
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

I would suggest you need to calm down, and see how this pans out over the next few months

Fishing has always been an erratic industry and I think there may be some very anti Brexit propaganda going on, when in truth I doubt it is really registering with most as they fight covid

I have read the Irish and others are furious about the way their fishing has been compromised and I expect to see matters improve in the coming months
    I think he has rather good reasons not to be a neutral observer.
  • Options

You're quite right that I am not neutral. But neither are the numbers - the joy of just looking at the numbers is that they are impervious to political positioning and spin. All of the relevant trade metrics are bad - very bad. Considering the impact that this all has on Irish product costs I am not surprised they are furious. The extra cost and time of these UK-avoiding ferries and the collapse of their logistics chain isn't something they will have wanted either.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

As do others who simply refuse to accept brexit

I believe it is called BDS
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

@HYUFD can easily settle this with a Trafalgar poll showing 63% (exc. don't knows) find Melania “I’m working … my arse off on the Christmas stuff, that you know, who gives a fuck about the Christmas stuff and decorations?” fragrant, beautiful and elegant.

Nonononono. Has to be including don'tknows and dgafs.
  • Options

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

It's worth bearing in mind few were landed today because many were on a protest in London yesterday.
    Weren't they mostly shellfish operations? The BBC interviewed someone from the Dartmouth Crab Company, I assume Peterhead isn't part of their business plan.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

Surely they were xciting rather than interesting?
  • Options

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

Weren't they mostly shellfish operations? The BBC interviewed someone from the Dartmouth Crab Company, I assume Peterhead isn't part of their business plan.
    Ditto D. R. Collin - one of the lorries in London. They'e Haimoothers. (Eyemouth, Borders, for the auditorily challenged.)
  • Options

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

No no, its entirely a Scottish fishing issue that has been fabricated by the SNP. Apparently.
  • Options

You're quite right that I am not neutral. But neither are the numbers - the joy of just looking at the numbers is that they are impervious to political positioning and spin. All of the relevant trade metrics are bad - very bad. Considering the impact that this all has on Irish product costs I am not surprised they are furious. The extra cost and time of these UK-avoiding ferries and the collapse of their logistics chain isn't something they will have wanted either.
    You do know the Irish are furious with the EU over fishing
  • Options

Carnyx said:

You do know he voted for Brexit, as he's pointed out he wouldn't have voted for this shit show if he knew this is what the reality is.

So actually he's a better barometer on Brexit than you.
  • Options

Friend of mine’s fiancée is from Cumbria, while working at Goldman’s, decided to Google the below pub with a view to a weekend away to show him the area she grew up in. When she saw the results she unplugged the computer and ran to the IT team to explain, while they fell about in hysterics.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g499538-d295013-Reviews-The_Black_Cock_Inn-Broughton_in_Furness_Duddon_Valley_Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html
  • Options

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

No no, its entirely a Scottish fishing issue that has been fabricated by the SNP. Apparently.
    Well, the Devonians are certainly crabbit about it all.
  • Options

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

Shush, no one is supposed to get wind of this cunning plan!
  • Options

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

It was a mixture of fish and shellfish. Although it's more of an issue for the latter as it has a shorter shelf life:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55706114
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

Were do you get your news? according to a feature they did on BBC radio news about 8.30 AM it was the British government they were furious with. The government minister was OK but sounded like he was playing a poor hand
  • Options

Carnyx said:

You do know he voted for Brexit, as he's pointed out he wouldn't have voted for this shit show if he knew this is what the reality is.

We are less than 3 weeks into this process and those who cannot accept brexit or the deal are jumping onto every perceived downside.

I will respond to brexit at the next election when by then it should be clear just how successful it has been, or of course not
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/19/israeli-covid-czar-says-first-pfizer-jab-not-effective-hoped/

Israel’s coronavirus czar has warned that the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine offers less protection than expected, as he blamed the country’s surge in Covid cases partly on the new British variant.

Nachman Ash said many Israelis had caught Covid in between their first and second doses of the Pfizer vaccine, suggesting that the first jab is “less effective than we thought,” according to Army Radio. ...
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    FPT

Nalavny's published a two-hour film about Putin. He said they wanted to wait until he was back in Russia to show that he is not afraid of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipAnwilMncI

I'm surprised there have been no comments on this.
    What chutzpah! What inspiration!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Were do you get your news? according to a feature they did on BBC radio news about 8.30 AM it was the British government they were furious with. The government minister was OK but sounded like he was playing a poor hand
    The Irish newspapers
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

AND knocked the socks off the crown head of Europe, in competition with Eva Peron.

Melania? Not so much.
    Jackie also had to tolerate her husband having at least one new woman a day, in the White House, and taking baths with them, where he would ask his Secret Service detail to help him: by forcing them to fellate him underwater, making them gag, thus intensifying his orgasms.

I really wouldn't hold up JFK's White House as any kind of paragon. More stylish than Trump, certainly.
  • Options

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

IT was the SNP's plan in 2014 for Scotland to leave the UK and the EU simultaneously, on a YES vote. Sturgeon never saw a problem with THAT.
  • Options
    Off topic can I say thanks for the "watch Tiger King" recommendation?

They ALL need to be fed to tigers. Not just Carole Baskin's 2nd husband

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCgz9915wHw
  • Options

Carnyx said:

We are less than 3 weeks into this process and those who cannot accept brexit or the deal are jumping onto every perceived downside.

I will respond to brexit at the next election when by then it should be clear just how successful it has been, or of course not
    I think you may have overbought in to your own nonsense about "BDS" here. There's plenty who weren't that fussed one way or the other as between continued EU membership and a sensible EEA sort of arrangement, who now think that the evidence is growing that the version of brexit we have ended up with is a disaster. You personally can delay your response till the next election, or run the rather perplexing argument that it doesn't really matter because people are more focused on covid (which I bet the fishermen aren't) but you can't sit and complain about other people assessing events as they actually happen. Because that's how most people process events.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,901

RobD said:

What was the weather like?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Melania? Not so much.
    Jackie also had to tolerate her husband having at least one new woman a day, in the White House, and taking baths with them, where he would ask his Secret Service detail to help him: by forcing them to fellate him underwater, making them gag, thus intensifying his orgasms.

I really wouldn't hold up JFK's White House as any kind of paragon. More stylish than Trump, certainly.
    One thing Melania and Jackie had in common, charismatic, very rich, sex mad, womanising husbands.

Hillary Clinton shared most of that with them (though Bill was never as rich as JFK or Trump) but was never as beautiful as them though probably more intelligent.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    IshmaelZ said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/19/israeli-covid-czar-says-first-pfizer-jab-not-effective-hoped/

Israel’s coronavirus czar has warned that the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine offers less protection than expected, as he blamed the country’s surge in Covid cases partly on the new British variant.

Nachman Ash said many Israelis had caught Covid in between their first and second doses of the Pfizer vaccine, suggesting that the first jab is “less effective than we thought,” according to Army Radio. ...

We know immunity builds up slowly after the first vaccination - Pfizer claims 52% immunity by Day 12 - the JCVI puts it somewhat higher. Pfizer than state with a second vaccination immunity reaches 95% seven days after and there's no evidence contradicting that from Israel.

I continue to believe the British Government has made a mistake not prioritising the 21-day second vaccination for the most vulnerable and instead preferring to provide a first vaccination for a larger number of people.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

I think you may have overbought in to your own nonsense about "BDS" here. There's plenty who weren't that fussed one way or the other as between continued EU membership and a sensible EEA sort of arrangement, who now think that the evidence is growing that the version of brexit we have ended up with is a disaster. You personally can delay your response till the next election, or run the rather perplexing argument that it doesn't really matter because people are more focused on covid (which I bet the fishermen aren't) but you can't sit and complain about other people assessing events as they actually happen. Because that's how most people process events.
    I have no objection to constructive criticism and there can be no doubt there are real issues but 3 weeks into brexit it is far too early to attack every issue as if it is armageddon, especially with HMG fighting covid
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    HYUFD said:

He was the best President of my lifetime, won the Gulf War with an international coalition, ended the Cold War on his watch, cut the deficit, agreed climate targets at the Rio Summit, took action for the disabled.

Yet, despite the assistance of the Conservative Party, he still managed to lose to Bill Clinton in 1992.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Fragrant, is she ?

Another small datum confirming the Tories have no taste hypothesis.

• Options
    Leon said:

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

IT was the SNP's plan in 2014 for Scotland to leave the UK and the EU simultaneously, on a YES vote. Sturgeon never saw a problem with THAT.
    Well, she denied it would happen at all and EU membership would be grandfathered.

I think she *hoped* that that could be negotiated simultaneously whilst Scotland negotiated to leave the UK, so there was no gap, and she'd ascend automatically to the EU as she left the UK at the end of a transition period.

However, there was no evidence for that other than wishful thinking.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

I have no objection to constructive criticism and there can be no doubt there are real issues but 3 weeks into brexit it is far too early to attack every issue as if it is armageddon, especially with HMG fighting covid
    The drunk driver's fallacy - Why aren't you out catching rapists and burglars, offisher? We can deal with more than one thing at a time.
  • Options
    Leon said:

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

'We must not examine our various winning manifestos that give every sign of producing a clusterfuck and being deeply unpopular, let us instead examine a losing manifesto of more than six years ago.'
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    2 nil , top of the League...😀
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Melania? Not so much.

One thing Melania and Jackie had in common, charismatic, very rich, sex mad womanising husbands.

Hillary Clinton shared most of that with them (though Bill was never as rich as JFK or Trump) but was never as beautiful as them though probably more intelligent.
    I agree that Melania is the most beautiful First Lady since Jackie, indeed, more beautiful. An incredible face and figure.

Looking at photos of her was one of vanishingly rare upsides of the Trump era.

Also, she brought us this photo, possibly the creepiest, most unsettling in the history of Franco-American relations. Presidential Wifeswap: a reality TV show

https://www.thelocal.fr/20170714/in-images-donald-trump-given-red-carpet-treatment-in-paris
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    edited January 2021
    Frank Lampard rising up the betting for first 2021 premier league sacking
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053
    stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

We know immunity builds up slowly after the first vaccination - Pfizer claims 52% immunity by Day 12 - the JCVI puts it somewhat higher. Pfizer than state with a second vaccination immunity reaches 95% seven days after and there's no evidence contradicting that from Israel.

I continue to believe the British Government has made a mistake not prioritising the 21-day second vaccination for the most vulnerable and instead preferring to provide a first vaccination for a larger number of people.
    Yes, just read the Times of Israel version on this story and as you say I can’t see any data contradiction either. Looks like ropey even irresponsible (?) reporting.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

McConnell's a tease, he had better deliver.

Always has been; never has.
    #Lucy&thefootball
  • Options

Leon said:

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

'We must not examine our various winning manifestos that give every sign of producing a clusterfuck and being deeply unpopular, let us instead examine a losing manifesto of more than six years ago.'
    There ya go. You can't deny it. Last time around, indyref1, the SNP - including Sturgeon - eagerly wanted Scotland to leave the EU and the UK, at the same time, so all these problems would have been even WORSE

The SNP are a bunch of opportunistic, lying hypocrites. I guess that's not news?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

He was the best President of my lifetime, won the Gulf War with an international coalition, ended the Cold War on his watch, cut the deficit, agreed climate targets at the Rio Summit, took action for the disabled.

Yet, despite the assistance of the Conservative Party, he still managed to lose to Bill Clinton in 1992.
    Like Major and the Tories in 1997, the GOP in 1992 had simply been in power too long and Clinton like Blair made few major changes to what the administration had been doing before.

Generally however now Bush Snr and Major are looked back on by historians and the public as statesmen who left a good legacy.
  • Options

Frank Lampard rising up the betting for first 2021 premier league sacking

I think that would be unfair, but Abrahamovic is a sacking owner.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Fragrant, is she ?

Another small datum confirming the Tories have no taste hypothesis.

This conservative thinks she is ghastly and her husband is far far worse
  • Options
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

Melania? Not so much.

One thing Melania and Jackie had in common, charismatic, very rich, sex mad womanising husbands.

I agree that Melania is the most beautiful First Lady since Jackie, indeed, more beautiful. An incredible face and figure.

Looking at photos of her was one of vanishingly rare upsides of the Trump era.

Also, she brought us this photo, possibly the creepiest, most unsettling in the history of Franco-American relations. Presidential Wifeswap: a reality TV show

https://www.thelocal.fr/20170714/in-images-donald-trump-given-red-carpet-treatment-in-paris
    Yes on that photo she looked better suited to Macron and Brigitte to Trump.

Though there are rumours Macron's tastes are not really towards ladies anyway
  • Options
    Is Trump going to pardon anyone at all? He is running out of time. It is already 4pm ET.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

There ya go. You can't deny it. Last time around, indyref1, the SNP - including Sturgeon - eagerly wanted Scotland to leave the EU and the UK, at the same time, so all these problems would have been even WORSE

The SNP are a bunch of opportunistic, lying hypocrites. I guess that's not news?
    Gran Reserva o'clock!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Who, IIRC, had just given another of those WWII-was-a-bit-of-an-unfortnat-eaccident-but-no-war-crimes-no-sir speeches....

GHWB - total anarchist, really....
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

Talk is cheap.

It would be straightforward to do a calculation with some model assumptions to show us.

(The calculation making the opposite argument was posted a few threads back).
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

The drunk driver's fallacy - Why aren't you out catching rapists and burglars, offisher? We can deal with more than one thing at a time.
    With respect I do not think we are going to agree on this
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

"Should've gone to Specsavers!"
    We should not be so judgmental over the fetishes of others.
  • Options

Leon said:

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

Well, she denied it would happen at all and EU membership would be grandfathered.

I think she *hoped* that that could be negotiated simultaneously whilst Scotland negotiated to leave the UK, so there was no gap, and she'd ascend automatically to the EU as she left the UK at the end of a transition period.

However, there was no evidence for that other than wishful thinking.
    It wasn't just wishful thinking, it was explicitly denied by the EU. And Spain alone would have vetoed, because Catalunya.

The SNP position was a massive lie, in other words.

Also, any legal analysis - for about a minute- reveals why this "grandfathering" could not have happened. Scottish accession as a new state would require a new EU Treaty, a new division of MEPs. new commissioners, and so on and so forth.

As we have seen, the EU is painfully legalistic and bureaucratic, that's how it works (and, arguably, stays together, the red tape smothers democracy, deliberately). Scotland in 2014 would have had to quit the EU on a Yes vote, and would have been obliged to re-apply for membership.

Sturgeon is too clever not to know this. She chooses to forget. She's a politician.
  • Options
    stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

Because of the early fast rollout, the UK actually has nearly as many people who have had both jabs as Israel -

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/people-fully-vaccinated-covid?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&time=latest&region=World

Which would be enough, I think, for a study here.
  • Options
    Breaking

Mike Pence has told Trump he is not going to his do tomorrow but will be at the inauguration

I wish Joe Biden all the best and hope the inauguration goes safely
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,234
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Like Major and the Tories in 1997, the GOP in 1992 had simply been in power too long and Clinton like Blair made few major changes to what the administration had been doing before.

Generally however now Bush Snr and Major are looked back on by historians and the public as statesmen who left a good legacy.
    Whereas Johnson will be looked back on as the man who destroyed the Union.
  • Options
    Part of me wants to the laugh at the DUP but most of me wants to weep for the break up of the country.

Senior DUP MP Gavin Robinson warns unionism to prepare for border poll

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2021/01/18/news/gavin-robinson-echoes-dup-namesake-s-call-for-unionism-to-get-ready-for-a-border-poll-2189559/

The DUP have belatedly realised why backing Brexit was the greatest strategic blunder since Emperor Palpatine allowed the Rebel Alliance to know the location of the Second Death Star.
  • Options
    Germany will now extend #covid closure of schools, shops, restaurants, bars and gyms till mid Feb. Medical grade masks must now be worn in shops and on public transport /1

Announcing the measures after nearly eight hours of talks with regional leaders, Angela Merkel said she wanted to avoid an explosion in case numbers caused by mutations like those seen recently in the U.K. and South Africa /2
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Incidentally on SkyBet Harvey Barnes is at 5/1 to make the England squad for the Euros. Value IMO.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

It is appropriate that somebody who is in effect a high class whore turns out to be a total c*** though, wouldn’t you say?
    It’s more likely that her husband say she couldn’t and she didn’t care enough to fight
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

He was the best President of my lifetime, won the Gulf War with an international coalition, ended the Cold War on his watch, cut the deficit, agreed climate targets at the Rio Summmit, took action for the disabled.
    Yes, I agree with most of that. Economics wasn't particularly his strong point, but he was very good at diplomacy.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

Leon said:

Leon said:

But guess what.

09/01/2020 - 2184
    07/02/2020 - 6019
    03/03/2020 - 3100
    03/04/2020 - 778
    08/05/2020 - 1748
    05/06/2020 - 5917
    03/07/2020 - 6622
    07/08/2020 - 5951
    04/09/2020 - 5156
    02/10/2020 - 5581
    06/11/2020 - 5386
    04/12/2020 - 6517
    08/01/2021 - 3955

Gran Reserva o'clock!
    What do you make of the Sillars-ite wing of the party, that is very anti-EU? Sillars is now arguing for a delay on Indyref 2, ostensibly because of Covid etc., but it's pretty obvious it's because he's not on board with the bouncing back into the EU.
This discussion has been closed.