Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Special relationship: the British right’s appeasement of Donald Trump – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

I question the wisdom of ex-mandarins getting involved in things like this, but On Topic this report seems accurate and to be expected: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55714276

"Johnson 'glad' to see Trump go, says ex-Civil Service head Lord Sedwill"

Surely Sedwill, of all people, knows not to believe anything Johnson says.
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    Idiotic article.The opposite is true.The striking thing about the Tory Right is how few apart from Farage and the journalist Delingpole endorsed Trump to any degree .Inevitable that Cabinet Ministers had to put govt business first.Of course Gove gave a sycophantic interview in january 2017 - what else was he supposed to given the timing?
    When the House of Commons in 2016/ 2017 had a debate on whether President Trump should be able to come to the UK only a handful of Tory MPs spoke in favour of Trump.It has been noticeable how on mainstream TV so many Tory journalists tried to distance themselves from being linked to Trump on a personal level even if being sympathetic to some of his policies
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,770
    edited January 2021

New York will be reallocating unused COVID-19 vaccines after more than ten thousand nursing home residents and nearly half of staffers declined the jab, according to Gareth Rhodes, a member of Governor Andrew Cuomo's COVID-19 Response Task Force.

Ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Looks like India are going to win. 20 to get off 34 balls.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    Going back to yesterday's impeachment trial this article makes sense https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/01/republicans-are-already-rewriting-trump-years/617715/

Collective amnesia is about to take hold of the Republican party and I suspect they will want any trial to be delayed and if it then occurred very short.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    edited January 2021

Australia throwing it away with 8 extras in the last two overs.

15 required from five overs, all three results still very much possible.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    kle4 said:

It was weird, but I'm still surprised they've apologised.

The BBC has apologised for the original headline in its reporting of the death of the convicted murderer Phil Spector.

The first version on the breaking news story on the BBC News website carried the headline: "Talented but flawed producer Phil Spector dies aged 81".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55702855

Emma Barnett had a good go about it on Woman’s Hour, which she turned into an obituary for the murdered actress.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Sandpit said:

Australia throwing it away with 8 extras in the last two overs.

15 required from five overs, all three results still very much possible.
    Wicket! Agree about the extras, though. Commentators getting very excited!
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    The special relationship is a myth.

Phenomenal performance by India down under. An astonishing test series has seen a thrilling and incredible conclusion. One of the greatest test series of all time.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

The BBC has apologised for the original headline in its reporting of the death of the convicted murderer Phil Spector.

The first version on the breaking news story on the BBC News website carried the headline: "Talented but flawed producer Phil Spector dies aged 81".

Emma Barnett had a good go about it on Woman’s Hour, which she turned into an obituary for the murdered actress.
    Good on Emma. That’s what happens when you have people with a serious journalistic background presenting these programs.
  • Options
    Another wicket. 3 runs to get 3 wickets in hand.
  • Options

Good morning everyone. Lot of sweetness and light on the board last night, I see. The effect of Blue Monday?

Sarcastic I assume? Was it all rather irascible?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320
    edited January 2021

All over Down Under. Described as one of India's greatest wins.

It must be over thirty years since Oz lost at Brisbane. And that was not an easy chase on an easy pitch. That was just - wow. Wow. Wow. Gill, Pujara and Pant, what a performance.

Edit - and BT TV are officially bastards for having the exclusive rights so nobody in the UK could watch it.
  • Options
    Phenomenal Indian performance
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It must be over thirty years since Oz lost at Brisbane. And that was not an easy chase on an easy pitch. That was just - wow. Wow. Wow. Gill, Pujara and Pant, what a performance.

Edit - and BT TV are officially bastards for having the exclusive rights so nobody in the UK could watch it.
    The EU ruling that Sky couldn't have exclusive showing of the football was one of its worst decisions ever.

Since matches remained exclusive it didn't add any competition whatsoever, it just meant instead of paying just Sky to watch sport, we either pay Sky to watch most sport and miss the rest or pay more than one company for the same bloody thing.

Competition will only exist when you can pick on which channel you want to watch the England game, or the Liverpool game etc - ie never.
  • Options
    Does this mean that BT are going to have the exclusive rights to the Ashes this winter? :(
  • Options
    Australia’s last defeat at the Gabba was against the Windies in 1988. Since then they’ve won 24 tests and drawn 7.

The bowler who did the chief damage is no longer alive.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/west-indies-tour-of-australia-1988-89-61901/australia-vs-west-indies-1st-test-63496/full-scorecard

List of tests:

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/australia/engine/records/team/match_results.html?class=1;id=209;type=ground

That is just extraordinary.
  • Options

Does this mean that BT are going to have the exclusive rights to the Ashes this winter? :(

I believe so.

Stupid, stupid decision. Even worse than taking it off Free to Air in the first place.

I might view it differently had it been decided that the rights for at least some matches had to be free to air, but they didn’t do that.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The EU ruling that Sky couldn't have exclusive showing of the football was one of its worst decisions ever.

Since matches remained exclusive it didn't add any competition whatsoever, it just meant instead of paying just Sky to watch sport, we either pay Sky to watch most sport and miss the rest or pay more than one company for the same bloody thing.

Competition will only exist when you can pick on which channel you want to watch the England game, or the Liverpool game etc - ie never.
    Yes, that ruling simply favoured all the other media companies - but made the experience for the consumer both noticeably worse and more expensive.

As you say, competition occurs when each match is available from multiple sources, and consumers can choose which company to pay.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Stupid, stupid decision. Even worse than taking it off Free to Air in the first place.

I might view it differently had it been decided that the rights for at least some matches had to be free to air, but they didn’t do that.
    It's not that difficult to use a VPN and stream it from other sites ...

Just saying.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited January 2021
    ydoethur said:

Australia’s last defeat at the Gabba was against the Windies in 1988. Since then they’ve won 24 tests and drawn 7.

The bowler who did the chief damage is no longer alive.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/west-indies-tour-of-australia-1988-89-61901/australia-vs-west-indies-1st-test-63496/full-scorecard

List of tests:

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/australia/engine/records/team/match_results.html?class=1;id=209;type=ground

That is just extraordinary.

The other amusing fact is looking at the test numbers on the side. There's been just over 2400 test running at about 400 per decade for the last 3 decades. Half of all Tests ever played have been since 1992, that on top of ODIs and the invention of T20.

That 1988 Test was #1108 vs today's #2404
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,726

New York will be reallocating unused COVID-19 vaccines after more than ten thousand nursing home residents and nearly half of staffers declined the jab, according to Gareth Rhodes, a member of Governor Andrew Cuomo's COVID-19 Response Task Force.

I am not too surprised, nor at the news that some ethnic minorities are refusing here too. I know some doctors and nurses who have declined.

I expect it will be the younger age groups rather than the elderly who do not participate in the main. They are generally reluctant about any health care intervention.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Looks like the England home series in the summer are all going to be on Sky, but the winter series inc the Ashes have all gone to BT.
  • Options

Metatron said:

Idiotic article.The opposite is true.The striking thing about the Tory Right is how few apart from Farage and the journalist Delingpole endorsed Trump to any degree .Inevitable that Cabinet Ministers had to put govt business first.Of course Gove gave a sycophantic interview in january 2017 - what else was he supposed to given the timing?
    When the House of Commons in 2016/ 2017 had a debate on whether President Trump should be able to come to the UK only a handful of Tory MPs spoke in favour of Trump.It has been noticeable how on mainstream TV so many Tory journalists tried to distance themselves from being linked to Trump on a personal level even if being sympathetic to some of his policies

Why "of course" that Gove sucked up to Trump in 2017? Nobody made him do the interview. He was just a backbench MP so he wasn't representing HMG (where diplomatic niceties might require a degree of fawning). Remember that Murdoch (who swallowed his own doubts about Trump to become his powerful enabler via Fox) was in the room too. And Gove is Murdoch's man.
    Don't be fooled. Gove was making a conscious effort to normalise Trump for a UK audience at Murdoch's bidding. They wanted Trump onside to support Brexit (another Murdoch project). It was an utterly shameless and odious act. Go back and watch his performance and his own media interviews afterwards, but bring a sickbag.
    It’s called Realpolitik. The relationship between UK and USA transcends the temporary custodians of political office in each country. Treating Trump like he was Kim Jong-Un wouldn’t have been in the wider interests of the UK. We shall maintain a similarly cordial relationship with the next US President, after he is sworn in tomorrow.
  • Options
    For all the detractors of T20, and I can't say it's my favourite format of the game, India's strength in depth, resilience and ability to chase down a total really came through today.
  • Options
    And David Warner's return didn't come off.

Tragic.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Sandpit said:

<
    It’s called Realpolitik. The relationship between UK and USA transcends the temporary custodians of political office in each country. Treating Trump like he was Kim Jong-Un wouldn’t have been in the wider interests of the UK. We shall maintain a similarly cordial relationship with the next US President, after he is sworn in tomorrow.

I'm not necessarily against countries weighing up their interests with Realpolitik - everyone does. But, to take your analogy further, this was happening while Trump was treating Kim Jong-Un as though he was Boris Johnson - in fact he was more effusive about Kim. It is not in Britain's interest to tie themselves too closely to erratic leaders who will be discredited in their own countries.

A Realpolitik policy for Britain is to be friendly to the USA, the EU and traditional allies like Canada and India, and open to constructive dialogue without illusions with everyone else (yes, China, Russia and Kim Jong-Un too), while avoiding being irrationally effusive about any of them.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343
    Foxy said:

I am not too surprised, nor at the news that some ethnic minorities are refusing here too. I know some doctors and nurses who have declined.

I expect it will be the younger age groups rather than the elderly who do not participate in the main. They are generally reluctant about any health care intervention.
    I find the idea of potentially being treated by an unvaccinated doctor or nurse quite alarming. My understanding is that a significant number of all recorded infections actually happen in hospital. The mother of a friend of mine was in hospital, caught Covid there and died 2 days ago. She was elderly and vulnerable but to have her risk increased by unvaccinated front line staff would have been unacceptable.

I think that we are going to have to get a little less tolerant of this nonsense. There should be a range of jobs where you interact with the vulnerable where a Covid vaccination certificate is every bit as necessary as a PVG certificate.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Pioneers, I agree entirely.

The fragmentation of TV (and film released to TV either as a matter of course or due to lockdown) is getting ridiculous. Doesn't affect me personally as I hardly ever watch it, but seeing traditional media splinter that way whilst the online world is dominated by a handful of very powerful entities is quite the contrast.

I think an exception could be sport. If the EPL or F1 makes its own streaming service and that's all it is, that could get plenty of support from fans.

But the increasing proliferation of general content provided via streaming is just increasing costs, and annoyance, for consumers.
  • Options

For all the detractors of T20, and I can't say it's my favourite format of the game, India's strength in depth, resilience and ability to chase down a total really came through today.

I was "watching" on Cricinfo when the run rate went above a run a ball and the commentator wrote that was incredibly difficult in Test Cricket. The next over went for 15 (Lyon) and I just don't think that would have happened without the experience of T20. The ambit of what is possible for a batsman has expanded enormously and a scoop shot over the wicket keeper was a good example of that.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Remember those tennis prima donna's moaning they shouldn't do quarantine?

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1351414461794435072
  • Options

Mr. Pioneers, I agree entirely.

The fragmentation of TV (and film released to TV either as a matter of course or due to lockdown) is getting ridiculous. Doesn't affect me personally as I hardly ever watch it, but seeing traditional media splinter that way whilst the online world is dominated by a handful of very powerful entities is quite the contrast.

I think an exception could be sport. If the EPL or F1 makes its own streaming service and that's all it is, that could get plenty of support from fans.

But the increasing proliferation of general content provided via streaming is just increasing costs, and annoyance, for consumers.

Hopefully several of these platforms will fail and fail quickly (like ondigital / ITV Digital). The content never goes away, it just gets replatformed. Which concentrates rights back onto a more sensible basis for consumers, who don't have elastic pockets to keep paying more and more for the same thing.

We had this with music streaming. Ludicrous profiteering drove a mass of piracy. Eventually it all gets distilled down and now there are only a few main platforms which genuinely compete with each other on functionality. You don't have to have Spotify AND Apple AND Youtube to stream The Beatles as an example. Unlike Sky and BT and Prime for football.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.
    The TV industry is shooting itself repeatedly in the head at the moment. Pay to stream is getting ridiculous, as every content provider says "I'll have a piece of that".

Put content up on Sky or Netflix for a rights fee? No, lets launch our own platform and keep all the revenue! So the question is how much £ can punters stump up. I pay for BBC, Virgin Media, Netflix, Disney, Prime. I'm on the free trial of Britbox and did the same for Apple TV. I am forced to "borrow" a friend's connection to watch stuff on Sky. Sports fans may need Sky Sports AND BT Sport AND Prime just to cover football.

Which is why, as you point out, pirate VPN streaming is so popular. Once we move north in a few weeks we'll review our packages, but it is frustrating and increasingly unsustainable for yet more things to be put behind yet another bloody paywall. One paywall to rule them all would be fine. But there isn't one. Rights have gone all over the place.

Let me give you an example. Shitbox claims to have all classic British TV in one place. Its clear that they have assembled them from a variety of sources - watching Cracker the aspect ratio jumps from original 4:3 to cropped widescreen to 4:3 within a 3 part story. And classics like Hi-De-Hi? They have the odd episode, but the streaming rights are held by Amazon. Not for free to Prime subscribers, on a pay per season basis.

It is unsustainable. People object to the license fee for understandable reasons and that will have to go. As will the plethora of salami sliced platforms - people will stop paying the money for the stuff they don't have to have, Britbox etc will fail, and content will start coalescing around A platform. Same with Football - one pay platform not three which each at the same price as the original one platform used to be.
    What football in particular needs is a pass system which allows you to watch a match on any platform for a single fee. How that fee is then divvied up amongst the broadcasters would then depend on what you watched.

We don't really want platforms or channels which are an archaic relic from the days when you let someone else decide what was on the TV. We want the content that we choose and you can keep the rest. Combining exclusive rights and old style channel based architecture has not worked to the consumer's advantage.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Remember those tennis prima donna's moaning they shouldn't do quarantine?

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1351414461794435072

Whoops. Sportspeople do appear to be incapable of not meeting others, no matter how many times they get told about a nasty virus going round. So many headlines about a tournament that hasn’t even started yet, and may not go ahead at all.

F1 made the right call not to go there.

How long before the U.K. gov drops the quarantine exemption for elite sports, given the amount of positive tests they are generating?
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    edited January 2021
    Cyclefree said:

Well, more bad news for the Cyclefree household.

As of Daughter's troubles are not enough, now youngest son has caught Covid from a colleague at work. He lives with brother and Dad. So they'll probably catch it too now.

Nearly a year the family has survived without catching this blasted pox and now this. FFS!

And I can't do anything but worry.

I am so fed up.

Bad luck Cyclefree!

My niece, who has been nursing Covid patients since the outset has now caught Covid from my sister, who she lives with. We wait with bated breath for news of the other 3 members of the household.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Cyclefree said:

As of Daughter's troubles are not enough, now youngest son has caught Covid from a colleague at work. He lives with brother and Dad. So they'll probably catch it too now.

Nearly a year the family has survived without catching this blasted pox and now this. FFS!

I am so fed up.

Bad luck Cyclefree!

My niece, who has been nursing Covid patients since the outset has now caught Covid from my sister, who she lives with. We wait with bated breath for news of the other 3 members of the household.
    I fear with the new variant the prospects of not catching Covid from people you are living with are poor. With the original version this seemed to happen quite a lot but it is now much more infectious.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    Everyone awaits the big potential pardon !

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1351443116126052359
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012

It is unsustainable. People object to the license fee for understandable reasons and that will have to go. As will the plethora of salami sliced platforms - people will stop paying the money for the stuff they don't have to have, Britbox etc will fail, and content will start coalescing around A platform. Same with Football - one pay platform not three which each at the same price as the original one platform used to be.

A single platform already exists - torrents. One of my students set me up with a seedbox in the Netherlands and patiently explained how to work the fucking thing 15 times until I got it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.
    Son-in-Thailand has got very imaginative with reception of TV sport.
  • Options
    Betfair still has Trump 1.01 to leave office 2021.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Cyclefree said:

I am so fed up.

Bad luck Cyclefree!

Poor Ms Cyclefree; it's just one damn thing after another. Every sympathy.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,065

Don't take it...

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfJohn/status/1351383093580423168
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941

His term ends by law at 12:30 on the 20th even if Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Nancy Pelosi, Mike Pompeo, Chuck Grassley are all simultaenously assasinated.

Arise President Mnuchin !
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,065
    At least we now know why it looks like BoZo slept in his suit
  • Options
    edited January 2021

I’m going to be mad if this doesn’t pay out tomorrow, I’ve emptied my Betfair account at 1.05 down to 1.01 yesterday.

Even if there’s a civil war started overnight, or if someone takes out Biden today, there’s still going to be a swearing-in ceremony at or close to midday on 20th.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,274
    edited January 2021
    Telegraph seems to be waging a daily campaign against stamp duty rise in March. Will Sunak be listening?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.
    The TV industry is shooting itself repeatedly in the head at the moment. Pay to stream is getting ridiculous, as every content provider says "I'll have a piece of that".

Put content up on Sky or Netflix for a rights fee? No, lets launch our own platform and keep all the revenue! So the question is how much £ can punters stump up. I pay for BBC, Virgin Media, Netflix, Disney, Prime. I'm on the free trial of Britbox and did the same for Apple TV. I am forced to "borrow" a friend's connection to watch stuff on Sky. Sports fans may need Sky Sports AND BT Sport AND Prime just to cover football.

Which is why, as you point out, pirate VPN streaming is so popular. Once we move north in a few weeks we'll review our packages, but it is frustrating and increasingly unsustainable for yet more things to be put behind yet another bloody paywall. One paywall to rule them all would be fine. But there isn't one. Rights have gone all over the place.

Let me give you an example. Shitbox claims to have all classic British TV in one place. Its clear that they have assembled them from a variety of sources - watching Cracker the aspect ratio jumps from original 4:3 to cropped widescreen to 4:3 within a 3 part story. And classics like Hi-De-Hi? They have the odd episode, but the streaming rights are held by Amazon. Not for free to Prime subscribers, on a pay per season basis.

You're wrong. Unfortunately media rights for TV are becoming ever more fragmented with each major studio deciding that they want their own streaming service. The US market is a disaster because of this, they have:

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    CBS all access (Paramount)
    Hulu (Fox, owned by Disney)
    HBO Max (WB)
    Bravia Core (SPE/Columbia launching in March)

This is coming here too and the market will become more fragmented, not less.

What's interesting is that for sports rights I could see the PL selling their own subscription package soon, maybe £250 per season for all of the televised matches. F1 already does this with F1TV and there's no monopoly concerns. With football to match the income that the PL gets from Sky/BT they would need around 6m subscribers at £250 per season. It also opens up models such as choosing which club you support and having a proportion of your subscription go to them, I know something like that has been looked at previously.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,100
    Pulpstar said:

Joe Exotic 2024?
  • Options
    Metatron said:

Yes, Gove is just a victim of circumstance. There was literally no way for him to avoid flying 3,500 miles and crawling up Trump's backside.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Australia.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

A single platform already exists - torrents. One of my students set me up with a seedbox in the Netherlands and patiently explained how to work the fucking thing 15 times until I got it.
    Torrents? Blimey, is that still going?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,076
    Trump 'furious' at the number of celebrities performing at Biden's inaugration tomorrow.

'Donald Trump is furious that so many top celebrities, including Lady Gaga, Jennifer Lopez and Tom Hanks, are going to feature at president-elect Joe Biden’s inaugural celebrations on Wednesday, in stark contrast to his own event four years ago.'

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-biden-inauguration-furious-celebrities-b1789192.html
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126

Sandpit said:

<

I'm not necessarily against countries weighing up their interests with Realpolitik - everyone does. But, to take your analogy further, this was happening while Trump was treating Kim Jong-Un as though he was Boris Johnson - in fact he was more effusive about Kim. It is not in Britain's interest to tie themselves too closely to erratic leaders who will be discredited in their own countries.

A Realpolitik policy for Britain is to be friendly to the USA, the EU and traditional allies like Canada and India, and open to constructive dialogue without illusions with everyone else (yes, China, Russia and Kim Jong-Un too), while avoiding being irrationally effusive about any of them.
    Also realpolitik is applicable between governments. At the time of Gove's breathless reporting from Trump's inner sanctum he was working for Rupert Murdoch not HMG.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,100
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.

You're wrong. Unfortunately media rights for TV are becoming ever more fragmented with each major studio deciding that they want their own streaming service. The US market is a disaster because of this, they have:

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    HBO Max (WB)

What's interesting is that for sports rights I could see the PL selling their own subscription package soon, maybe £250 per season for all of the televised matches. F1 already does this with F1TV and there's no monopoly concerns. With football to match the income that the PL gets from Sky/BT they would need around 6m subscribers at £250 per season. It also opens up models such as choosing which club you support and having a proportion of your subscription go to them, I know something like that has been looked at previously.
    When digital music first took off the market was very fragmented until universal streaming services like Spotify took over. It's not impossible that the same could end up happening with TV.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    HBO Max (WB)

If only we could get F1TV here. Fucking Sky block them selling it in the UK.
    If only we could get MUTV here - with actual live matches. Fucking Sky block them selling it in the UK.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

I find the idea of potentially being treated by an unvaccinated doctor or nurse quite alarming. My understanding is that a significant number of all recorded infections actually happen in hospital. The mother of a friend of mine was in hospital, caught Covid there and died 2 days ago. She was elderly and vulnerable but to have her risk increased by unvaccinated front line staff would have been unacceptable.

I think that we are going to have to get a little less tolerant of this nonsense. There should be a range of jobs where you interact with the vulnerable where a Covid vaccination certificate is every bit as necessary as a PVG certificate.
    David hi

Just to say...GET BACK ON THE WAGON!!

I read your post the other day about letting things slip a bit this time round and who can blame you (us!). But now Christmas is out of the way, and extra clothes, if necessary can be bought against the weather, it is time to get back into the regime.

Bin off the midweek booze, no snacks (sweet or savoury), and treat yourself at the weekends (otherwise you'd go mad).

Keep us updated and good luck with it.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723

Metatron said:

Yes, Gove is just a victim of circumstance. There was literally no way for him to avoid flying 3,500 miles and crawling up Trump's backside.
    Brexiteers and Trump supporters overlap massively in the Venn diagram.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Joe Exotic 2024?
    Haven't seen Tiger King. Don't want to see Tiger King. Who this guy is or why he needs a pardon is beyond me.

Please, don't enlighten me ;)
  • Options

Metatron said:

Brexiteers and Biden supporters overlap even more.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    edited January 2021

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    HBO Max (WB)

If only we could get F1TV here. Fucking Sky block them selling it in the UK.
    If only we could get MUTV here - with actual live matches. Fucking Sky block them selling it in the UK.
    Sky and F1 wouldn't be so bad if you didn't also have to the entire sky bundle to get it.

I suspect Sky will offer another F1 season ticket for £200 which I will um and err about and then just watch the C4 highlights.

Mind you I might pay to watch the first race live - so that I can see how the season will play out.
  • Options
    I hate to disappoint you all but it is likely India v. England starting in a few weeks is likely to be not on either Sky Sports or BT Sport.

It is likely to air on either

1) Star TV Channels (some Asian channels available on Sky)

2) Hotstar - A streaming serviced owned by Star

3) - Disney+ (but only starting with the third test onwards)

4) Amazon Prime

Basically Star own the TV rights in India, and they used to be part of Rupert Murdoch's group, but now Star are owned by Disney and Sky are owned by Comcast.

So English cricket supporters are likely to require three different subscriptions to watch England this year.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126

Pulpstar said:

Joe Exotic 2024?
    Haven't seen Tiger King. Don't want to see Tiger King. Who this guy is or why he needs a pardon is beyond me.

Netflix spent months trying to make me watch this programme. Just no.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Metatron said:

I think not.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Err, I just watched it on Virgin.

And this was the last year of BT’s five year deal. The host sells the rights to the highest bidder.

Ultimately Sky have slashed their secondary rights to save their Premier League first picks. Things have calmed down a bit so Sky might try to get the Aussie rights back.
  • Options
    re not wanting to get treatment from someone who is not vaccinated?

Huh?

As we are aware to date, the vaccines don't affect transmission, apart from the decrease in viral load from an asymptomatic carrier (less, if any coughing, sneezing, etc).

So what is the difference between someone who has the virus, has been jabbed and is asymptomatic and someone who has the virus, hasn't been jabbed and is asymptomatic?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,076
    Lord Tebbit may have words with the Chancellor
    https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1351437411860045824?s=20
  • Options

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    HBO Max (WB)

When digital music first took off the market was very fragmented until universal streaming services like Spotify took over. It's not impossible that the same could end up happening with TV.
    It is impossible, Netflix was supposed to be that service of having most of everything. Then the media owners realised how much money they were leaving on the table by not having their own service. It's also why Netflix is spending billions per year on original content so they aren't beholden to studios who will withdraw the rights and launch their own platforms.

I could see one or two fall aside, Amazon prime is definitely one of those that I can't see lasting, it's a huge money black hole for returns that might never arrive and if the US gets serious about breaking Amazon up into consumer facing Amazon and corporate facing AWS then prime video is dead.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

David hi

I read your post the other day about letting things slip a bit this time round and who can blame you (us!). But now Christmas is out of the way, and extra clothes, if necessary can be bought against the weather, it is time to get back into the regime.

Bin off the midweek booze, no snacks (sweet or savoury), and treat yourself at the weekends (otherwise you'd go mad).

I'm trying @TOPPING , I'm trying but some virtual drink parties have rather ruined this week.

It doesn't help the pavements around here have been an ice rink for about 10 days now. Very frosty this morning again.
  • Options

Metatron said:

I think not.
    You're wrong then.

On the Venn diagram the intersection of Trump + Brexit < the intersection of Biden + Brexit.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    HBO Max (WB)

The PL doesn’t need to sell the games themselves. Far easier to sell to broadcasters around the world and let them sort it out.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Err, I just watched it on Virgin.

And this was the last year of BT’s five year deal. The host sells the rights to the highest bidder.

Ultimately Sky have slashed their secondary rights to save their Premier League first picks. Things have calmed down a bit so Sky might try to get the Aussie rights back.
    So have this winter's Ashes rights been sold?

Hopefully they go back to Sky. I'd sooner stream than pay for BT.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

Economically T20 will end up consuming Test cricket. But before it does so, the skills that the players have developed playing T20 is producing the most exciting Test cricket. Enjoy it while it lasts.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Joe Exotic 2024?

Stick to your guns. I watched it and it made nearly no impact on me. It's just stupid-people voyeurism. Very Trump-era television, but that era is now over.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Joe Exotic 2024?

Netflix spent months trying to make me watch this programme. Just no.
    I saw an episode with one of the kids. It was....odd. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    HBO Max (WB)

Any company that offered EVERYTHING for a monthly fee or an automatic charge per programme watched (that amounted to about the same monthly fee on average) would clean up. But I suppose that Amazon/Disney/Netflix just wouldn't agree.
    Personally I have a PVR with plenty of stuff recorded and can watch quality TV via BBC or free to air or what I have recorded for the price of the licence, but then I'm not bothered too much about sport.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    HBO Max (WB)

It is impossible, Netflix was supposed to be that service of having most of everything. Then the media owners realised how much money they were leaving on the table by not having their own service. It's also why Netflix is spending billions per year on original content so they aren't beholden to studios who will withdraw the rights and launch their own platforms.

I could see one or two fall aside, Amazon prime is definitely one of those that I can't see lasting, it's a huge money black hole for returns that might never arrive and if the US gets serious about breaking Amazon up into consumer facing Amazon and corporate facing AWS then prime video is dead.
    That would be a great shame as Amazon Prime is by an absolute mile the best of the lot.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,770
    Does anyone know any over 80s who haven't been offered a vaccination?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    HBO Max (WB)

The PL are unlikely to launch their own channel, one of the advantages selling the rights to others is that they get the money via instalments well in advance of the season starting, and the equivalent point of the season. Put it this way they get paid in full for the season by around January.

If they went for a PL subscription model, they'd only get the money linearly throughout the season which would ruin the cashflow of most of the PL clubs.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Huh?

As we are aware to date, the vaccines don't affect transmission, apart from the decrease in viral load from an asymptomatic carrier (less, if any coughing, sneezing, etc).

So what is the difference between someone who has the virus, has been jabbed and is asymptomatic and someone who has the virus, hasn't been jabbed and is asymptomatic?

This is still the unanswered trillion dollar question on which our economy depends. Can those who have been vaccinated transmit the virus even if they don't get ill themselves? If they can we are in trouble, all sorts of trouble.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2021
    Sandpit said:

Metatron said:

Why "of course" that Gove sucked up to Trump in 2017? Nobody made him do the interview. He was just a backbench MP so he wasn't representing HMG (where diplomatic niceties might require a degree of fawning). Remember that Murdoch (who swallowed his own doubts about Trump to become his powerful enabler via Fox) was in the room too. And Gove is Murdoch's man.
    Don't be fooled. Gove was making a conscious effort to normalise Trump for a UK audience at Murdoch's bidding. They wanted Trump onside to support Brexit (another Murdoch project). It was an utterly shameless and odious act. Go back and watch his performance and his own media interviews afterwards, but bring a sickbag.
    The next relationship will be nothing like the same. There will be no meetings arranged by Rupert Murdoch for Gove to meet Biden and others, and the backroom staff will not share the long contacts and familiarity of before. It was well beyond realpolitik, into the realm of a very public sharing of ideas, but since Gove, Murdoch and others made it so obvious and were proud of that, there's very little need even to bother arguing about it.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    HBO Max (WB)

The PL doesn’t need to sell the games themselves. Far easier to sell to broadcasters around the world and let them sort it out.
    Possibly, but direct-to-consumer worldwide has a lot more upside for the PL and other sports rights holders, especially in the massive US market currently dominated by ESPN.

They’ve utterly failed to cut off the streamers, so giving the fans what they want - without the network middleman - is going to be their best chance to maximise revenue. The missing bit, currently provided by international networks, is foreign language commentary. Crack that, and everyone cuts the cable.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    HBO Max (WB)

That would be a great shame as Amazon Prime is by an absolute mile the best of the lot.
    I dislike Amazon Prime, despite having an account, as it tries to get you to pay for shows on top. Watch something then it suggests something else . . . that you have to pay for, that isn't included on Prime.

I don't want to pay per episode of a TV show. Just no.

Maybe I'm just not using it right, but if it were possible to get a Prime platform that only showed what was included in Prime and hid everything else I'd probably use it more.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Andy_JS said:

Does anyone know any over 80s who haven't been offered a vaccination?

Yes, my wife. Not heard a dicky bird. This is in Scotland.

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    HBO Max (WB)

Its interface is dogshit, and the subtitles are practically illegible. It's not accessible for people with either visual or hearing impairments.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,525
    edited January 2021

Pulpstar said:

Joe Exotic 2024?

For the first two episodes of The Tiger King I thought it was was a mockumentary like This Is Spinal Tap.

Turns out it is real.

Carole Fucking Baskin.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

I believe so.

Just saying.

Netflix
    Amazon prime
    D+ (Disney)
    Apple TV
    Peacock (NBC universal)
    HBO Max (WB)

I dislike Amazon Prime, despite having an account, as it tries to get you to pay for shows on top. Watch something then it suggests something else . . . that you have to pay for, that isn't included on Prime.

I don't want to pay per episode of a TV show. Just no.

Maybe I'm just not using it right, but if it were possible to get a Prime platform that only showed what was included in Prime and hid everything else I'd probably use it more.
    You can set it up so you only see the free stuff, there's a "Free to me" toggle in the interface which filters out all of the premium rental/purchase stuff.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

David hi

I'm trying @TOPPING , I'm trying but some virtual drink parties have rather ruined this week.

It doesn't help the pavements around here have been an ice rink for about 10 days now. Very frosty this morning again.
    Yes they are conspiring to try to podge us up. But every day is longer and (I hope) less lethally cold!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,729
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Good on Emma. That’s what happens when you have people with a serious journalistic background presenting these programs.
    I am a big fan. When on form, she's the best political interviewer the BBC have.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,261

Metatron said:

In a slightly different world, Germany's centre-right CDU would be the most natural match as a foreign political party for the Conservative party. Unfortunately the Conservative party isn't really a centre-right party. I guess more Brexiters prefer Trump to Merkel than vice versa.

Conversely, it is sometimes odd how keen UK leftwingers are to praise right-winger Merkel.

I think some in the Conservative party are upset with Trump only for exposing the true nature of the Republican Party, a party they otherwise admire.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Huh?

This is still the unanswered trillion dollar question on which our economy depends. Can those who have been vaccinated transmit the virus even if they don't get ill themselves? If they can we are in trouble, all sorts of trouble.
    No trial or test has been done to say they don't. But there is much less coughing and sneezing so with that decrease in viral load transmission the virus will gradually die out.

Is the (PB at least) theory.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,274
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

I am a big fan. When on form, she's the best political interviewer the BBC have.
    They'll need someone good. As they have lost Andrew Neil.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,729
    ydoethur said:

While we're doing stats, England's win was the first time since the 1950s that they've won four overseas tests on the trot.
This discussion has been closed.