Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Jabbing the Unjabbable (or, for the less polite, Pricking the Pricks) – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalu said:

It seems the UK is paying a high price for Christmas Boris

FTFY
    It is sad that you think it is OK to change a poster comment

Can you imagine if I start changing your posts
    oh stop your sour pouting, it's extremely gentle satire on what you wrote, responsibly signposted with the obligatory "FTFY" that let's anyone know what's up.
    You do not change my post and have some respect
    It wasn't sneakily changed with no audit trail. That would be simply unconscionable and merit the blog equivalent of Old Sparky. They did the old thing with a line through that's fairly common MO.

Being just a touch precious here, BigG, for me.
    Not at all.

It changes my post and its meaning

If the change made was to be accurate it should have included all four nations all of whom allowed Christmas
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

Professional Golf Assocation of America (PGA) has voted to terminate its agreement with Trumpsky organization and remove its 2022 championship event from The Donald's golf course at Bedwetter, NJ.

Makes me wonder about Gary Player and Annika Sorenstam who both accepted Medals of Freedom from his blood-stained hands AFTER the attempted Trumpsky Putsch.

Used to have considerable respect for Gary Player. No more, nevermore.

i know its old school but maybe Gary player adheres to the sensible slogan of keep sport free from politics
    Sport is political. Gary Player is from South Africa. He should realise that more than most.
  • Options

No way to "de-politicise" a Putsch. And no need to gather evidence, it's already been gathered.

One thing that unites Americans across the political spectrum, is the way the Congress of the United States can spend endless hours and days and weeks and months and years and years and years doing . . . nothing much.

No, the evidence hasn't been anything like gathered. There will almost certainly be emails, testimony from now-disgruntled ex-Trump officials, Parler posts, video evidence, etc, establishing in much more detail exactly what was going on and who knew what. There could well be a smoking gun directly implicating Trump in a much more specific and direct way than what we know so far, which is largely just his public statements. Bad though those were, I strongly suspect there's a lot more to come out, which will be much harder for Trump-sympathisers to ignore.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    HYUFD said:

52% of Americans want Trump to be removed from office but 87% of Republicans do not want Trump removed from office

https://twitter.com/QuinnipiacPoll/status/1348685491080597504?s=20

Just glanced at that and thought you were posting some random QAnon tweet. Luckily not.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FTFY

I have long said that TOPPING is far and away the best poster on PB.
    Yes. To be discouraged.
    Again attacking the integrity of the forum
    That one probably wouldn't have happened had you not whined about being very gently ribbed in the first place. Sort of like a Streisand effect.
    Anyway, No More Tears (Enough Is Enough), I shan't edit your posts again, Babs.
    Thank you
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    edited January 2021
    HYUFD said:

52% of Americans want Trump to be removed from office but 87% of Republicans do not want Trump removed from office

Well we know theat 52% is plenty.

But that 87% is why the action needs to be quick. People will never be angrier than now. Give it a month, and no one will give a crap. Not for those powerbrokers on the fence (which may not be enough anyway).
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited January 2021
    HYUFD said:

And from Quinnipiac, who under sample Repubs like heck.

That poll really does challenge to notion the Trumpists are a small minority of a group of people who would vote for the republicans anyway.

It clearly is not the case.

Anybody who wants to represent the Republicans going forward is going to have to address the base.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Interesting post, thank you @Stocky

I would suggest that a certificate is not needed - simply let passport control at airports/ports access an electronic list of those vaccinated, which can be uploaded from primary care data. However, given I work with health data and am aware of such interesting events as people having multiple deaths or giving birth aged 93, I accept that may not be foolproof.

A sufficiently successful vaccination programme will also make certification unnecessary - the goal should be to reach herd immunity (indeed, beyond the minimum level) through mass vaccination and eradicate Covid in any meaningful sense in this country (sporadic cases may pop up, but Covid will have nowhere to go). Once that is done, airlines will no more want to see proof of a Covid vaccination than of a smallpox vaccination. There will of course be a period of time when many are vaccinated but Covid is still a threat, so in the short term some proof may be useful.

Also, I feel your pain re your friend. My father in law, whom I like very much and go to (well, used to when that was possible) the pub with on a fairly regular basis is doubtful the moon landings ever took place. He says this mostly to rile another friend who never fails to bite, but also seems to believe it himself. I, too, after once setting out why I believe him to be wrong, no longer engage on this.

I have found, in the past, that using the arguments of denialism too deny the existence of something obvious to be quite useful.

So I deny the existence of Australia.
    That's a good idea. Next time it comes up I'll say that I don't believe the moon exists and see where that takes us :smile:
    No. You need to deny something you can't obviously see. The moon will be seen that evening.

Deny Australia. Hell, deny the USA. Something you can't see.
    Moon you say? No, I can't see it. Over there? No. Are you getting confused with a streetlight? Maybe some dust in your eye? Had few too many drinks?
    Australia is *fun* to deny....

- Country built by dumping unwanted criminals accidentally ends up a liberal democracy. Yeah right.
    - Country with a mammal that lays eggs, has a ducks beak and poisonous.... thumbs. Yeah right
    - Country that fought and lost a war against flightless birds. Yeah right.
    Not to mention the absurd accent, which is clearly the product of an over-active imagination. There are no actual Australians; they are all just actors, who are obviously sworn to secrecy at all times on pain of losing their cushy jobs.
    So who invented the idea Australia, and where do they make the propaganda films ?
    The lizards, of course, in order to be able to deliver regular doses of mind-control soma in the form of daytime soap operas. "Ramsay Street" is, I understand, one of the more secretive parts of Area 51.
    Where do they find all those massive empty spaces, though ?

Maltby. Most of South Yorkshire is a desolate wasteland. Indeed they have to tone it down otherwise no one would believe Australia looked that bad.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I get the strong feeling that these lockdown pollings are exemplars of the form "I want these measures for THEM but not for me".
  • Options

kinabalu said:

FTFY

oh stop your sour pouting, it's extremely gentle satire on what you wrote, responsibly signposted with the obligatory "FTFY" that let's anyone know what's up.
    You do not change my post and have some respect
    It wasn't sneakily changed with no audit trail. That would be simply unconscionable and merit the blog equivalent of Old Sparky. They did the old thing with a line through that's fairly common MO.

Being just a touch precious here, BigG, for me.
    Not at all.

It changes my post and its meaning

If the change made was to be accurate it should have included all four nations all of whom allowed Christmas
    New rule: all satire must be politically balanced.
    Sheesh.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

has anyone estimated the rates of vaccination per day since that first jab on the 8th. Think I could work back using the various numbers, both official and not, but was wondering if it had been done, well, anywhere?

The average over the full period of 34 days would be 76k

Given the rapid acceleration, that number is not especially meaningful.

Why?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Professional Golf Assocation of America (PGA) has voted to terminate its agreement with Trumpsky organization and remove its 2022 championship event from The Donald's golf course at Bedwetter, NJ.

Makes me wonder about Gary Player and Annika Sorenstam who both accepted Medals of Freedom from his blood-stained hands AFTER the attempted Trumpsky Putsch.

i know its old school but maybe Gary player adheres to the sensible slogan of keep sport free from politics
    Sport is political. Gary Player is from South Africa. He should realise that more than most.
    well dont agree and never will
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

ON topic, of COURSE you will need a vaccine visa to travel, eat out, use public transport, stay in a hotel, fly, take a cab, do any jobs requiring interaction, go to the theatre, basically live.

We had ID cards in the War, we will have vaccine visas for a few years. Other countries are already on the case, not just rule-following Asians.

You will probably be allowed, at least at first, to refuse a vaccine, but then you won't get your Vaccine Visa, meaning it will be almost impossible to do most normal things. A tiny percentage will hold out.

https://twitter.com/eliefares/status/1346549539247960064?s=20

I'm not sure there will be vaccine visas.
    Anyone who wants to fly abroad will need some kind of vaccine document, for sure. That's basically 80% of the country right there, the Britons who enjoy a foreign holiday.

My best guess is that it will be an app, you can show to authorities, on your smartphone. The Australians have a very efficient e-visa service, which works smoothly, just like this.

Once it is widely established - for travellers, I suspect it will be used in many other areas of life, as well. And it will be popular, because it will enable us all to get nearer to "normality" - eg flying to Majorca for a nice break.

Bring it on.
    I don't say you are wrong but according to that calculator that is/was going around that would rule out people under 40 going on their summer holidays.

Not sure that is where the various governments want to be.
    Interesting - at 2m doses a week a 40yr old with no u/l health problems would be vaccinated by May. At 1m/week it would be by October.
    I'm 40 in June, where does that leave me ?
    If you're like me - shit faced in a bar in Crete and pretending to still be a force to be reckoned with.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    BBC discussing #BozoBikeGate
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well we know theat 52% is plenty.

But that 87% is why the action needs to be quick. People will never be angrier than now. Give it a month, and no one will give a crap. Not for those powerbrokers on the fence (which may not be enough anyway).
    Depends what comes out of the current investigations. If there is something found directly linking Trump Org or the Orange Man himself with 6 January then things may be kept nicely simmering.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

ON topic, of COURSE you will need a vaccine visa to travel, eat out, use public transport, stay in a hotel, fly, take a cab, do any jobs requiring interaction, go to the theatre, basically live.

We had ID cards in the War, we will have vaccine visas for a few years. Other countries are already on the case, not just rule-following Asians.

You will probably be allowed, at least at first, to refuse a vaccine, but then you won't get your Vaccine Visa, meaning it will be almost impossible to do most normal things. A tiny percentage will hold out.

Anyone who wants to fly abroad will need some kind of vaccine document, for sure. That's basically 80% of the country right there, the Britons who enjoy a foreign holiday.

My best guess is that it will be an app, you can show to authorities, on your smartphone. The Australians have a very efficient e-visa service, which works smoothly, just like this.

Once it is widely established - for travellers, I suspect it will be used in many other areas of life, as well. And it will be popular, because it will enable us all to get nearer to "normality" - eg flying to Majorca for a nice break.

Bring it on.
    I don't say you are wrong but according to that calculator that is/was going around that would rule out people under 40 going on their summer holidays.

Interesting - at 2m doses a week a 40yr old with no u/l health problems would be vaccinated by May. At 1m/week it would be by October.
    you have to stay 39 so not to mess up the plan
  • Options

Sorry, but that's total BS. Player certainly had no qualms about helping prop up apartheid when it was in ascendency. Then making a big deal about opposing it when it was on the downslide.

Free from politics? Really? Pure pigshit - just like Player's buddy Trumpsky.

From Wiki page on Gary Player::

"Views on apartheid
    In 1966, he espoused support for the apartheid policies of Hendrik Verwoerd in his book Grand Slam Golf, stating: "I must say now, and clearly, that I am of the South Africa of Verwoerd and apartheid ... a nation which ... is the product of its instinct and ability to maintain civilised values and standards amongst the alien barbarians. The African may well believe in witchcraft and primitive magic, practise ritual murder and polygamy; his wealth is in cattle". Activists publicly demonstrated against Player's espousal of apartheid, including protesting against Player at the 1969 PGA Championship. . . .

However, in a 1987 interview with The Los Angeles Times, Player disavowed the system of apartheid, stating, "We have a terrible system in apartheid...it's almost a cancerous disease. I'm happy to say it's being eliminated....we've got to get rid of this apartheid."[40] In an interview with Graham Bensinger, Player discussed his early support for apartheid stating that the South African Government had "pulled the wool over our eyes" and that the people were "brainwashed" into supporting these policies."
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2021
    As far as I can tell vaccinations haven't even started at all in my local area of East Sussex, despite the fact that we have lots of elderly residents here. (In our local newsagent there is a good choice of birthday cards for 100-year olds!)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That poll really does challenge to notion the Trumpists are a small minority of a group of people who would vote for the republicans anyway.

Anybody who wants to represent the Republicans going forward is going to have to address the base.
    Or it's time for Republicans to exercise leadership, and to tell hard truths to the base - that the election was lost rather than stolen, that this was an attempted coup rather than youthful high spirits, and that Trump is a dangerous liar and wannabee Mussolini.

The reason why we've got to the situation where you get extraordinary percentage of Republican voters agreeing with all this utter bullsh1t is that Republican leaders have been scared to challenge Trump - they've allowed themselves to be both complicit and bullied. Time for more than just Romney and a couple of others to cut the ties and lead.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Now at 210,000/day says Hancock.

Seems pretty confident about hitting the "14m by 14 Feb" Valentine's Day Target.

We'll see.
    Correct me if i`m wrong but I think the government has said that the aspiration is based on the total INVITED to have a vaccination. If true, this more or less ensures that it will be reached one way or another (recall Hancock in the spring ahem).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Or it could mean a couple of months of committee investigation first.
    There's no committee stage; witnesses and evidence can be presented, but straight to the full senate hearing, presided over (phew, says Pence) by the chief justice of the supreme court.
    John Roberts, another MAGA favourite at the moment
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    How has Senator Whitehouse never been a presidential candidate? Send Whitehouse to the White House? The story writes itself.

Honestly, do people just not believe in nominative determinism anymore?
    Indeed. Perdue ignored it and look how that turned out for him.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You are assuming polling numbers are static, carved in stone.

Wait for it.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

People for Whom YBarddCwsc Has Zero Sympathy, Vol 67, page 8.

https://tinyurl.com/y4cdk694

An 80-year-old man staying in his second home in Rhyl says he was told he cannot register with a local GP practice to receive the Covid vaccine.

... a second home in Rhyl ... 😳

The most deprived town in North Wales, patrolled by feral Scouse drug gangs and criminals.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Bring it on.

If you're like me - shit faced in a bar in Crete and pretending to still be a force to be reckoned with.
    Oh, what I wouldn't give to be shitfacred in a bar in Crete.

I'd even go with you mate. Sure, we'd argue ferociously over politics whilst battered but we'd still have a laugh.
    :smile: - Be fine if we stay off "Legacy of Empire".
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Scott_xP said:
    33% approval after having attempted a violent coup to overturn an election is still pretty remarkable. And appalling.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    There's no committee stage; witnesses and evidence can be presented, but straight to the full senate hearing, presided over (phew, says Pence) by the chief justice of the supreme court.
    John Roberts, another MAGA favourite at the moment
    Am rather surprised that CJSCOTUS has NOT (yet) publicly commented on the actions of his protege, US Sen. Josh "Bloody Hands" Hawley, his former LAW CLERK.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Bring it on.

I'd even go with you mate. Sure, we'd argue ferociously over politics whilst battered but we'd still have a laugh.
    The Minoan Empire?
  • Options

BBC discussing #BozoBikeGate

Interpretation seems to be you can walk or cycle as far as you like as long as you start and finish at home
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335
    edited January 2021
    @Philip_Thompson another point is that whilst we have strong views (quite rightly) today on what is absolutely correct from a moral and ethical perspective we are less good at understanding why certain historical events took place because we struggle to understand the context of the time.

In the absence of a rules-based international order, for example, imperialism (either formal or informal) was one of the only ways you could protect and develop global trading networks.

Similarly, when real politics was the same as the monarch (absolute rulers at the time) it led to a lot of wars and executions because in the case of a bad ruler the hereditary principle could ultimately be overcome in only one way. And the same needed to be overcome for very ambitious men.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,991
    Stocky said:

Now at 210,000/day says Hancock.

Seems pretty confident about hitting the "14m by 14 Feb" Valentine's Day Target.

We'll see.
    Correct me if i`m wrong but I think the government has said that the aspiration is based on the total INVITED to have a vaccination. If true, this more or less ensures that it will be reached one way or another (recall Hancock in the spring ahem).
    If that is indeed the target, then it's a rubbish target.

So you are probably right.
  • Options

Sorry, but that's total BS. Player certainly had no qualms about helping prop up apartheid when it was in ascendency. Then making a big deal about opposing it when it was on the downslide.

"Views on apartheid
    In 1966, he espoused support for the apartheid policies of Hendrik Verwoerd in his book Grand Slam Golf, stating: "I must say now, and clearly, that I am of the South Africa of Verwoerd and apartheid ... a nation which ... is the product of its instinct and ability to maintain civilised values and standards amongst the alien barbarians. The African may well believe in witchcraft and primitive magic, practise ritual murder and polygamy; his wealth is in cattle". Activists publicly demonstrated against Player's espousal of apartheid, including protesting against Player at the 1969 PGA Championship. . . .

However, in a 1987 interview with The Los Angeles Times, Player disavowed the system of apartheid, stating, "We have a terrible system in apartheid...it's almost a cancerous disease. I'm happy to say it's being eliminated....we've got to get rid of this apartheid."[40] In an interview with Graham Bensinger, Player discussed his early support for apartheid stating that the South African Government had "pulled the wool over our eyes" and that the people were "brainwashed" into supporting these policies."
    What with him, and plus "Jack" facebooking for Trump, the reputation of the Big 3 is taking a real dive. Let's hope "Arnie" (rip) doesn't say anything stupid from beyond the grave.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    33% approval after having attempted a violent coup to overturn an election is still pretty remarkable. And appalling.
    Isn't it just - truly dreadful and I really fear for the US
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Bring it on.

I would find that difficult 😉
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,757

Stocky said:

FTFY

No! How did that happen?

Mods - seriously.
    I have long objected to posters comments being edited by other posters

If we all started to do that the site's integrity would be impacted
    There are people here who edit their own posts AFTER others have picked them up on their statements, mbut without making it clear.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

HYUFD said:
    I get the strong feeling that these lockdown pollings are exemplars of the form "I want these measures for THEM but not for me".
    Don't think so. 14% opposed to the restrictions feels about right as the proportion who are bending the rules. Most people I know are being more restrictive than ever, refusing to meet even close relatives and in some cases terminating bubble arrangements.

But I do get reports of continuing uncertainty over what's allowed, what's legal but undesirable and what's illegal. The uncertainty about how far you can go for a walk is a good example, but also small shops are complaining that big stores that are allowed to remain open because they provide esssential goods are enthusiastically selling non-essential goods that otherwise the small shops might have supplied. Sainsbury etc. sell pretty much everything even though it's only the food, medicine and, bizarrely, flowers that are supposed to be essential.
  • Options
    edited January 2021

No way to "de-politicise" a Putsch. And no need to gather evidence, it's already been gathered.

One thing that unites Americans across the political spectrum, is the way the Congress of the United States can spend endless hours and days and weeks and months and years and years and years doing . . . nothing much.

No, the evidence hasn't been anything like gathered. There will almost certainly be emails, testimony from now-disgruntled ex-Trump officials, Parler posts, video evidence, etc, establishing in much more detail exactly what was going on and who knew what. There could well be a smoking gun directly implicating Trump in a much more specific and direct way than what we know so far, which is largely just his public statements. Bad though those were, I strongly suspect there's a lot more to come out, which will be much harder for Trump-sympathisers to ignore.
    CNN said earlier that some of the 'amateur' protestors (my phrase) arrested are already talking.

While I guess they'll have to hand out sentences to the prominent ones whose selfies went around the world, there'll be a fair few who committed an offence by following the crowd into the Capitol but did little else. If they saw and heard useful stuff and are willing to spill it to the Feds - and perhaps even testify in due course - then I am sure that there will be deals to be done. There isn't much purpose in filling the prisons with tons of these amateurs; the focus should be on locking away those who planned or executed the violence.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

FTFY

No! How did that happen?

Mods - seriously.

There are people here who edit their own posts AFTER others have picked them up on their statements, mbut without making it clear.
    Well that`s not on either.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes - other reports suggest they'll let Biden get his first 100 days out of the way - and confirm his cabinet - before starting Trump's trial
    Senate should definitely NOT delay Biden's legislative agenda. On the other hand, no need for lengthy committee investigation, let alone days of debate.

EVERYBODY knows what happened, what Trumpsky and his minions did. Cut and dried.

Try'em quick and hang 'em high.
    No, quite the opposite. They should take their time, de-politicise it as much as they possibly can, and gather as much really solid evidence as possible. What's the hurry, after all?

I tend to agree with you on this.
    However, there are odd things which ought to take priority - for example the confirmation of a new Attorney General.

And it's not entirely true to say there's no evidence to gather. Subpoenas for the White House phone logs for the day in question might be very instructive, for example.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386

An 80-year-old man staying in his second home in Rhyl says he was told he cannot register with a local GP practice to receive the Covid vaccine.

The most deprived town in North Wales, patrolled by feral Scouse drug gangs and criminals.

As a child we had summer hols in a caravan in Rhyl, and Abergele, very grim....
  • Options

@Philip_Thompson another point is that whilst we have strong views (quite rightly) today on what is absolutely correct from a moral and ethical perspective we are less good at understanding why certain historical events took place because we struggle to understand the context of the time.

In the absence of a rules-based international order, for example, imperialism (either formal or informal) was one of the only ways you could protect and develop global trading networks.

Similarly, when real politics was the same as the monarch (absolute rulers at the time) it led to a lot of wars and executions because in the case of a bad ruler the hereditary principle could ultimately be overcome in only one way. And the same needed to be overcome for very ambitious men.

Interesting to post. I wonder what people think about those who today seek a reduction in the "rules based international order"...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Interesting post, thank you @Stocky

I would suggest that a certificate is not needed - simply let passport control at airports/ports access an electronic list of those vaccinated, which can be uploaded from primary care data. However, given I work with health data and am aware of such interesting events as people having multiple deaths or giving birth aged 93, I accept that may not be foolproof.

A sufficiently successful vaccination programme will also make certification unnecessary - the goal should be to reach herd immunity (indeed, beyond the minimum level) through mass vaccination and eradicate Covid in any meaningful sense in this country (sporadic cases may pop up, but Covid will have nowhere to go). Once that is done, airlines will no more want to see proof of a Covid vaccination than of a smallpox vaccination. There will of course be a period of time when many are vaccinated but Covid is still a threat, so in the short term some proof may be useful.

Also, I feel your pain re your friend. My father in law, whom I like very much and go to (well, used to when that was possible) the pub with on a fairly regular basis is doubtful the moon landings ever took place. He says this mostly to rile another friend who never fails to bite, but also seems to believe it himself. I, too, after once setting out why I believe him to be wrong, no longer engage on this.

I have found, in the past, that using the arguments of denialism too deny the existence of something obvious to be quite useful.

So I deny the existence of Australia.
    That's a good idea. Next time it comes up I'll say that I don't believe the moon exists and see where that takes us :smile:
    No. You need to deny something you can't obviously see. The moon will be seen that evening.

Deny Australia. Hell, deny the USA. Something you can't see.
    Moon you say? No, I can't see it. Over there? No. Are you getting confused with a streetlight? Maybe some dust in your eye? Had few too many drinks?
    Australia is *fun* to deny....

- Country built by dumping unwanted criminals accidentally ends up a liberal democracy. Yeah right.
    - Country with a mammal that lays eggs, has a ducks beak and poisonous.... thumbs. Yeah right
    - Country that fought and lost a war against flightless birds. Yeah right.
    Not to mention the absurd accent, which is clearly the product of an over-active imagination. There are no actual Australians; they are all just actors, who are obviously sworn to secrecy at all times on pain of losing their cushy jobs.
    So who invented the idea Australia, and where do they make the propaganda films ?
    The lizards, of course, in order to be able to deliver regular doses of mind-control soma in the form of daytime soap operas. "Ramsay Street" is, I understand, one of the more secretive parts of Area 51.
    Where do they find all those massive empty spaces, though ?

Maltby. Most of South Yorkshire is a desolate wasteland. Indeed they have to tone it down otherwise no one would believe Australia looked that bad.
    Have to be bloody patient waiting for those cloudless days, though.
  • Options

Completely off topic from anything being discussed but relevant to discussions that often take place here . . . I was doing my daughter's schooling (Year 2, age 6) with her before and for history/geography she has been learning about explorers. Today's topic was to research and learn about Christopher Columbus.

So I started by talking to her about what I knew about Christopher Columbus, then we watched a couple of videos aimed at kids teaching about Christopher Columbus on YouTube.

What was noteworthy however was that the two videos could not have been more different. One, which looked quite dated, was all about heroic Christopher Columbus, how he discovered America and portrayed him in an unambiguously heroic and flattering light.

The other, newer, video taught about how Christopher Columbus grew up, how he got into exploration, how he got the idea of finding Asia, how he got approval to sail to find India but found America instead . . . then about how he was a cruel governor, how he was removed, arrested and imprisoned . . . and then into detail about how he was a slaver, that he took native Americans for slavery on the day he first found America and that he boasted that he could capture as many slaves as they could sell. This video emphasised we should remember Columbus for his discovery but not as a hero. It also led to an awkward conversation with my daughter when she asked what a slave is - a topic not covered before in her education as far as I know.

This left me thinking - there will be people growing up today only exposed to one or the other of these viewpoints depending upon their parents (and potentially their schools) preferences. People who grow up with an idealised and heroic view of Columbus - and others who view him as someone who might have been a great explorer, but was also a slaver and cruel to his subjects while Governor.

All of these facts are true, but not all are objectively covered by everyone and not everyone wants to learn everything. People who grow up with what are alternative sets of facts are going to grow up thinking very different things and looking at the world very differently.

So this got a lot more philosophical to me than I expect her teacher was thinking in setting the lesson plan - but I'm not sure how the world is best shaped to address these issues.

Good post. Thinking back to my education my history teacher emphasised sources (giving two very convincing but rather contrary pictures) and asking you to use them to argue your case.

I also had two politics teacher. One was an old school Labour supporter. A Scottish lady in her late 40s. The other was a one-nation wet pro-European Tory. An English man in his early 30s.

They didn't once thrust their views or opinions down my throat, but encouraged and supported me. We had debates, sure, but they were always respectful and about exploring different points of view.

I am grateful to them both, and I still have very fond memories of them both.

No-one forgets a good teacher.
    My best ever teacher was my economics master, a Thatcherite free-marketeer who made a great show of the fact that he was pretty much the only Tory in the NUT. Had some great debates with him, and he was a very fair guy. A fair marker too – even, perhaps especially, when you disagreed with him.

By contrast, my hardcore leftie English master was the worst teacher I had.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

It will wither away, in time.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Bring it on.

The Minoan Empire?
    {Albanian Taxi Driver enters the chat}

"I 'ad that King Minos in the back of 'chariot, yesterday. Proper gent. We could do with his like - sort those youths out. Good for nothings. Running around... I'd give 'em running around... chased round a labrinyth by a a mythical monster, more like. It would teach 'em sumfink proper, that would..."
  • Options

I've only ever heard of the latter as the site of a train disaster!
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Don't think so. 14% opposed to the restrictions feels about right as the proportion who are bending the rules. Most people I know are being more restrictive than ever, refusing to meet even close relatives and in some cases terminating bubble arrangements.

But I do get reports of continuing uncertainty over what's allowed, what's legal but undesirable and what's illegal. The uncertainty about how far you can go for a walk is a good example, but also small shops are complaining that big stores that are allowed to remain open because they provide esssential goods are enthusiastically selling non-essential goods that otherwise the small shops might have supplied. Sainsbury etc. sell pretty much everything even though it's only the food, medicine and, bizarrely, flowers that are supposed to be essential.
    you seem to only deal with people who want the government to tell them what to do all the time .
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306

I do wish the government, and several on here, would cease the embarrassing, shouty triumphalism about how much better our vaccination roll-out is than the rest of Europe. It shouldn't be a competition. A quiet pride in our achievements so far would be more dignified.

Any anyway, it's early days for triumphalism. It's reminiscent of many football tournaments that we've entered with high hope of English success, only to find out in the long-term that we lose, with Germany usually winning (even if on penalties).

Christ if there are penalties in this race we have no chance.
  • Options

My family live in Abergele and while the town is shabby, there are parts of Abergele that are really nice and of course it is now on 'Celebrity' fans must visit list following the recent series
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

It takes time for whale shit to find the bottom of the Marianas Trench.....
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    MaxPB said:

Foss said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Hancock: 2.6 million jabs to 2.3 million people.

1.3m additional jabs since last week, still too slow and hopefully this week we will see the end of second jabs entirely as no additional appointments should have been booked, 2.6m people getting their first jab would be a lot better than 2.3m with 0.3m having had two.
    'Still too slow' will be able to be said anytime before the target is reached, when of course you cannot immediately reach the target. Did you mean that the rate of increase is still too slow?
    Check my maths please -

1.3 million vaccinations

185,714 per day (assuming 7 days a week)

Given the total population of 67 million

2,443 vaccinations per million per day

At this rate, the UK is the third fastest vaccinating nation in the world

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-vaccination-doses-per-capita?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&time=latest&region=World

with Israel and United Arab Emirates ahead.
    That's in week 1 of AZ and no mega centres. Each of those seven should be able to do 15-20k per day from the sounds of things.
    Birmingham is aiming to do 2600 a day by next week - which seems rather low.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-55620244
    Very slow ramp up, implies around 20-25 people doing the jabs. How is it not at least 150 per centre?
    The vaccine centre I went to was doing 1000 / day (Pfizer, so they had to). There was a single person with the needle. Presumably they didn't do a full 8.5 hour shift but swapped over with someone else at some point.

So 2600 / day only needs 3 people injecting at a time.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Luckily we're smarter in this country. We would never countenance keeping a man around who repeatedly attacked the courts, the parliament, the media. Who kept advisers and cabinet members on because of their loyalty despite incompetence and serious misconduct.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I have bought three novels from Sainsbury's in recent weeks because bookstores are forcibly closed.

The amount of occasions I have purchased reading books in a supermarket before this shitshow is precisely zero.

Massive distortive intervention in the market by government.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

"Views on apartheid

What with him, and plus "Jack" facebooking for Trump, the reputation of the Big 3 is taking a real dive. Let's hope "Arnie" (rip) doesn't say anything stupid from beyond the grave.

Nah, Arnie is alive, kicking, and on the side of the angels.. :smile:
    https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1348578267972960257
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    It's staggering. Maybe if he just started shooting the people around him at random we could get below 25%?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

That's a depressing thought, given that whale shite is liquid! Spot on with dead whales, though.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Carnyx said:

I've only ever heard of the latter as the site of a train disaster!
    My mother grew up in Rhyl. We go back occasionally, as some family still live there. Never the most glam place in the world, the loss of the seaside tourism trade has hit very hard.

Still, I remember going from Rhyl to Denbigh and thinking we'd gone back in time about 20 years....
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    How has Senator Whitehouse never been a presidential candidate? Send Whitehouse to the White House? The story writes itself.

Should have changed his name to Gagneur (I expect you to correct me).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    It's staggering. Maybe if he just started shooting the people around him at random we could get below 25%?
    If it were at random, it would reduce the pro and antis proportionally, though...
  • Options

Completely off topic from anything being discussed but relevant to discussions that often take place here . . . I was doing my daughter's schooling (Year 2, age 6) with her before and for history/geography she has been learning about explorers. Today's topic was to research and learn about Christopher Columbus.

So I started by talking to her about what I knew about Christopher Columbus, then we watched a couple of videos aimed at kids teaching about Christopher Columbus on YouTube.

What was noteworthy however was that the two videos could not have been more different. One, which looked quite dated, was all about heroic Christopher Columbus, how he discovered America and portrayed him in an unambiguously heroic and flattering light.

The other, newer, video taught about how Christopher Columbus grew up, how he got into exploration, how he got the idea of finding Asia, how he got approval to sail to find India but found America instead . . . then about how he was a cruel governor, how he was removed, arrested and imprisoned . . . and then into detail about how he was a slaver, that he took native Americans for slavery on the day he first found America and that he boasted that he could capture as many slaves as they could sell. This video emphasised we should remember Columbus for his discovery but not as a hero. It also led to an awkward conversation with my daughter when she asked what a slave is - a topic not covered before in her education as far as I know.

This left me thinking - there will be people growing up today only exposed to one or the other of these viewpoints depending upon their parents (and potentially their schools) preferences. People who grow up with an idealised and heroic view of Columbus - and others who view him as someone who might have been a great explorer, but was also a slaver and cruel to his subjects while Governor.

All of these facts are true, but not all are objectively covered by everyone and not everyone wants to learn everything. People who grow up with what are alternative sets of facts are going to grow up thinking very different things and looking at the world very differently.

So this got a lot more philosophical to me than I expect her teacher was thinking in setting the lesson plan - but I'm not sure how the world is best shaped to address these issues.

Good post. Thinking back to my education my history teacher emphasised sources (giving two very convincing but rather contrary pictures) and asking you to use them to argue your case.

I also had two politics teacher. One was an old school Labour supporter. A Scottish lady in her late 40s. The other was a one-nation wet pro-European Tory. An English man in his early 30s.

They didn't once thrust their views or opinions down my throat, but encouraged and supported me. We had debates, sure, but they were always respectful and about exploring different points of view.

My best ever teacher was my economics master, a Thatcherite free-marketeer who made a great show of the fact that he was pretty much the only Tory in the NUT. Had some great debates with him, and he was a very fair guy. A fair marker too – even, perhaps especially, when you disagreed with him.

At the end of the day it's not a job of a teacher to impose their views on you or indoctrinate you with them.

I fear some forget that today. But most don't.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2021
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    33 having an interesting historical resonance in this case.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

CNN said earlier that some of the 'amateur' protestors (my phrase) arrested are already talking.

While I guess they'll have to hand out sentences to the prominent ones whose selfies went around the world, there'll be a fair few who committed an offence by following the crowd into the Capitol but did little else. If they saw and heard useful stuff and are willing to spill it to the Feds - and perhaps even testify in due course - then I am sure that there will be deals to be done. There isn't much purpose in filling the prisons with tons of these amateurs; the focus should be on locking away those who planned or executed the violence.

Yes, exactly right. In that mob there will have been some hangers-on just there for a bit of a lark, like students staging a sit-in (those were the ones posting selfies of themselves), some who were seriously but incoherently trying to 'stop the steal' and who, having got into the building, didn't seem to know what to do and just ambled about, and some who were more specifically trying to intimidate, injure and probably kill, and who may have been quite organised and who knew exactly what they were trying to do. That's how mobs tend to be, with the first two categories easily getting carried away with the heady descent into serious violence. It's the last category which, together with Trump himself, are the real danger for the future.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,195
    Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

FTFY

No! How did that happen?

Mods - seriously.

I edit most of my posts.

Not checking for rogue apostrophes (quite rightly a PB cardinal sin) kindly added by my Chinese phone's spellchecker, demands a swift edit to avoid being strung up by the PB Apostrophe Stasi.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Luckily we're smarter in this country. We would never countenance keeping a man around who repeatedly attacked the courts, the parliament, the media. Who kept advisers and cabinet members on because of their loyalty despite incompetence and serious misconduct.
    Nor elect someone to be PM having sold to us a deal that he had neither fully read nor understood.
  • Options
    On topic, I do take a slightly Darwinian view at this point, but that may change later in the year. If someone in a high risk group chooses not to take up the offer to book an appointment, that's their stupidly and mainly (for now) their problem. Just move on to the next in line.

I appreciate it isn't entirely the case that it's the person's own look-out as a vulnerable person is more likely to require care so it's better for the NHS if an 85 year old is jabbed earlier in preference to a 70 year old. However, it does seem to me it's all about vaccines in arms at this point and, if 10-20% don't want to do it, don't waste resource on them.

That balance does change as we move towards full vaccination and the hold-outs are the long tail causing a problem. But it feels like a problem for Q4 rather than now.

On travel and so on, I am a bit surprised some kind of certificate isn't being issued as a matter of course. It would not shock me if other countries were asking for proof of vaccination later in the year, and it seems to make sense to pre-empt that.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

That's a depressing thought, given that whale shite is liquid! Spot on with dead whales, though.
    The things you learn on this site.
  • Options
    English Kings going on chevauchée around northern France also made sense in the political context of the times too.

But it also kind of makes sense today..
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    MaxPB said:

Hancock: 2.6 million jabs to 2.3 million people.

1.3m additional jabs since last week, still too slow and hopefully this week we will see the end of second jabs entirely as no additional appointments should have been booked, 2.6m people getting their first jab would be a lot better than 2.3m with 0.3m having had two.
    I know someone getting a second jab tomorrow.

It was due to be today - but now changed to tomorrow.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

"Views on apartheid

That is just brilliant.
  • Options
    Politico.com
    Biden dresses down his Covid team over plans to speed vaccinations
    The president-elect has criticized his Covid coordinator on multiple occasions in front of groups of transition officials.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/11/biden-coronavirus-vaccine-goal-problems-457245
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Didn't we have an extended discussion of the size of a Blue Whale rectum in relation to Trump, the other day ?
    I believe that's when the non solid nature of whale excreta came up.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Didn't we have an extended discussion of the size of a Blue Whale rectum in relation to Trump, the other day ?
    I must have skipped by that bit.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

I missed that!
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386

My family live in Abergele and while the town is shabby, there are parts of Abergele that are really nice and of course it is now on 'Celebrity' fans must visit list following the recent series
    perhaps I was a little harsh, we never ventured out of the holiday camp and beach really.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    ...but he did invent three Coronavirus vaccines and was busy administering the vaccine to grateful voters in Bristol today.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

FTFY

No! How did that happen?

Mods - seriously.

I edit most of my posts.

Not checking for rogue apostrophes (quite rightly a PB cardinal sin) kindly added by my Chinese phone's spellchecker, demands a swift edit to avoid being strung up by the PB Apostrophe Stasi.
    If they made "its" without the apostrophe the autocorrect default, it would save a great deal of time.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,632
    edited January 2021
    Thanks for an interesting header. I suspect vaccination certificates will be needed for travel and some occupations. IIt has long been a requirement that I am vaccinated for Hep B for example, so there is legal precedent.

I think though that uptake of the vaccine will probably not be much above the 70% of vulnerables who get the flu vaccine. Participation in breast, bowel, and cervical screening runs at similar 70%ish figures.

It is easy for middle class people to assume that others prioritise health issues the same as themselves.

Not all the rest will be anti vaxxers, some will just be slothful, some suspicious of all officialdom, and some will reckon that they are immune by reason of past infection, real or imagined.

So I suspect that we will be living with Covid-19 for a while.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

"Views on apartheid

That is just brilliant.
    Yes it is. I watched it yesterday. He`s a bit up himself but it IS Arnie, so ...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

FTFY

No! How did that happen?

Mods - seriously.

I edit most of my posts.

That's fair enough - I was moaning about very substantial changes of meaning.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

I missed that!
    The data is somewhat limited, for obvious reasons, but the consensus is somewhere around grapefruit size.
    Which more or less killed a nascent meme.
  • Options

perhaps I was a little harsh, we never ventured out of the holiday camp and beach really.
    The barbed wire a bit hard on the plimsolls?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

I must have skipped by that bit.
    I think it was Mitch McConnell. A completely different arse.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

I think you are being most disingenuous to...whale excrement!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

FTFY

No! How did that happen?

Mods - seriously.

I edit most of my posts.

My most frequent fault, of many, is forgetting the second comma in a subordinate clause, something which as a lawyer I use far too often. I frequently wince when I see the post and go back to change this.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Should have changed his name to Gagneur (I expect you to correct me).
    Looks fine to me! Not that I have any particular claim to expertise in French.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,632

I have no idea what the politics of any of my teachers was, or more recently of Fox jrs teachers.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304

TOPPING said:

FTFY

I have long said that TOPPING is far and away the best poster on PB.
    Yes. To be discouraged. It is a truth universally acknowledged that Anabobazina's wisdom is unparalleled here. I wouldn't wish to steal his glory.
    *Blushes*

LOL
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    edited January 2021
    Foxy said:

I have no idea what the politics of any of my teachers was, or more recently of Fox jrs teachers.
    I believe communist indoctrination is required to graduate from teacher's school now, I read it on the internet.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Who has changed the thread header??

I am sure it was originally "BigG - Ribbing the unribbable"

Ribbing- good-natured teasing.
    "he took a good deal of ribbing with the utmost good humour" (not)
This discussion has been closed.