Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Jabbing the Unjabbable (or, for the less polite, Pricking the Pricks) – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Leon said:

Jesus

"A ban on people in England walking or exercising with anyone from outside their household is looking increasingly likely, with sources telling the Guardian it is “under active consideration’’ and “could be introduced imminently”"

That's it. That's my social life gone. They want me to be entirely alone until March

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jan/11/ban-on-exercising-with-others-likely-but-elite-sport-fears-played-down

After today's MSP defection from the tories to the Reform Party, you can sense tory appetite for more draconian measures diminishing. Imagine if defections started happening in England too!! Even at grassroots level, with councillors.

Its almost like they suddenly woke up and found themselves in a democracy.

One day, they'll wish they weren't.
    Odd, you seem to be fervently against democracy in the USA.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Jesus

"A ban on people in England walking or exercising with anyone from outside their household is looking increasingly likely, with sources telling the Guardian it is “under active consideration’’ and “could be introduced imminently”"

That's it. That's my social life gone. They want me to be entirely alone until March

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jan/11/ban-on-exercising-with-others-likely-but-elite-sport-fears-played-down

Things are getting unreasonable. What`s the fine if you`re caught? Worth the risk to retain sanity?
    Some tory MPs already getting v.v. nervous. Reform Party rolling out great barrington. First defection. Rishi sounding utterlt miserable on the economy.
    Tories need to make the exit route clear.
    The fact they can't surely only shows they don;t have that much confidence in the vaccine as a way out.
    No, I think they do. I`d just like them to be explicit and get it drilled into the public now that liberties will be restored, financial support will be largely curtailed and the vaccines will not completely eradicate all risk.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Trump expected to make a statement later

What a shame.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

ON topic, of COURSE you will need a vaccine visa to travel, eat out, use public transport, stay in a hotel, fly, take a cab, do any jobs requiring interaction, go to the theatre, basically live.

We had ID cards in the War, we will have vaccine visas for a few years. Other countries are already on the case, not just rule-following Asians.

You will probably be allowed, at least at first, to refuse a vaccine, but then you won't get your Vaccine Visa, meaning it will be almost impossible to do most normal things. A tiny percentage will hold out.

https://twitter.com/eliefares/status/1346549539247960064?s=20

I'm not sure there will be vaccine visas.
    I think there will be considerable resistance in government to the idea. But my worry, Andy, is that our government neglects to do it, time passes, and we discover that out freedoms to visit other countries have been curtailed. Then the government, belatedly seeing the way the wind is blowing, is forced to play catch-up and runs round spending oodles trying to fix a problem that it could have easily anticipated.
    Yep - it would be far easier to create the database / certificates now for them never to be needed than to try and issue them afterwards.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    Hancock: 2.6 million jabs to 2.3 million people.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Jesus

Things are getting unreasonable. What`s the fine if you`re caught? Worth the risk to retain sanity?
    It seems rather desperate. Do we have evidence that people obeying the rules outdoors is contributing significantly? Seems more likely to me that outbreaks are caused by people who break the rules (then give it to the rest of their family).
    All I do is walk alongside a friend at 2m distance. Staring ahead. I don't go near anyone. It keeps me sane. And the chances of my infecting someone, or catching something, are about nil

Now they take it away?
    What makes you think 2m makes your chances are about nil?
  • Options

Don't forget - Philip has assured us that there will be no disruption at the border as absolutely everyone will submit all their paperwork electronically in advance. Definitely no mega queues whilst bemused customs officials search for contraband, not at all.
    Is that another "joke" because I said the exact opposite! 🙄

I always said there would be disruption in January as people get used to the new paperwork, but there would be an incentive for businesses to get their paperwork in order to make it as smooth as possible. 🙄
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Jesus

It seems rather desperate. Do we have evidence that people obeying the rules outdoors is contributing significantly? Seems more likely to me that outbreaks are caused by people who break the rules (then give it to the rest of their family).
    All I do is walk alongside a friend at 2m distance. Staring ahead. I don't go near anyone. It keeps me sane. And the chances of my infecting someone, or catching something, are about nil

Now they take it away?
    I very much hope they don't. Only yesterday I had a walk with an old friend who messaged me - we both needed it after a week to ourselves!

However, I can see the thinking. It is an exemption that didn't exist last March. Everyone is demanding 'do something' to feel safer, despite us being only 6 days into a lockdown.

I've been quite surprised at public patience and tolerance for risk, or rather, lack of both, recently.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314

IanB2 said:

What a shame.
    That's another 5 headers on PB we can expect then.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    edited January 2021
    eek said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

ON topic, of COURSE you will need a vaccine visa to travel, eat out, use public transport, stay in a hotel, fly, take a cab, do any jobs requiring interaction, go to the theatre, basically live.

We had ID cards in the War, we will have vaccine visas for a few years. Other countries are already on the case, not just rule-following Asians.

You will probably be allowed, at least at first, to refuse a vaccine, but then you won't get your Vaccine Visa, meaning it will be almost impossible to do most normal things. A tiny percentage will hold out.

I think there will be considerable resistance in government to the idea. But my worry, Andy, is that our government neglects to do it, time passes, and we discover that out freedoms to visit other countries have been curtailed. Then the government, belatedly seeing the way the wind is blowing, is forced to play catch-up and runs round spending oodles trying to fix a problem that it could have easily anticipated.
    Yep - it would be far easier to create the database / certificates now for them never to be needed than to try and issue them afterwards.
    Your doctor should have a record. They can then charge for certs like they would if you wanted the jabs for africa or otherwise.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Jesus

I find the focus on the minutae of the "rules" for individuals rather misplaced. They won't be policed so it remains, as it always has been, a matter of personal judgment. Fact is, this pandemic, over the next few weeks, is going to cripple the Health Service whatever we do. The theme is constant underestimation.

So for me, forget about the law, there is a moral duty to the greater community to minimize contact with other people. Do not go in the proximity of others unless you have to. If everyone sticks to that the carnage will be best case (which is bad) rather than worst case (which is terrible).

And it's money where my mouth is. I'm not going out (bar essential shopping) and I wouldn't be even if the rules say I could. Conversely if I felt I had to go out and exercise and/or meet a friend in order to ward off serious depression, I would do so even if the rules said I couldn't.

I think we need a big address from Johnson along these lines. Emphasizing the moral duty and barely mentioning the law.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    edited January 2021

IanB2 said:

What a shame.
    That's another 5 headers on PB we can expect then.
    The man makes good copy, he always did.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Jesus

Now they take it away?
    Not quite nil. Wind, wind, wind.
    It is a tiny risk. But OK then, make masks compulsory outdoors, to eliminate even that risk.

Just don't take away what is left of my social life, as I live and work alone.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Jesus

Some tory MPs already getting v.v. nervous. Reform Party rolling out great barrington. First defection. Rishi sounding utterlt miserable on the economy.
    Tories need to make the exit route clear.
    The fact they can't surely only shows they don;t have that much confidence in the vaccine as a way out.
    No, I think they do. I`d just like them to be explicit and get it drilled into the public now that liberties will be restored, financial support will be largely curtailed and the vaccines will not completely eradicate all risk.
    When was the last time any politician ever said to voters 'there is a limit as to what your government can do for you, and we are at that limit'

It was Ronald Reagan wasn;t it?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,383
    Scott_xP said:
    Or it could mean a couple of months of committee investigation first.
  • Options

I don;t see how that can be when they have been among the lockdowniest of them all...??

I don;t see how that can be when they have been among the lockdowniest of them all...??

theyre blaming the English

just for a change

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/returning-emigrants-may-have-prompted-surge-in-uk-variant-39953836.html
    It's behind a paywall; can you tell me what in the article makes you say they're "blaming the English"? I can only read this much:

"The rapidly spreading UK variant of Covid-19 is feared to be behind a significant infection surge in Co Mayo. The latest figures from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre, released last Thursday, show that one in every 50 people in Belmullet had contracted Covid-19 over the previous 14-day period. Health chiefs in the county believe the high influx of returning emigrants for Christmas from the UK is behind the spike in cases."

That much could well be true without it being "blaming" anyone.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Jesus

Now they take it away?
    Learn a bit of tradecraft. The Stasi will never suspect that you know the person who just happens to be heading in the same direction as you at the same rate.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Don't forget - Philip has assured us that there will be no disruption at the border as absolutely everyone will submit all their paperwork electronically in advance. Definitely no mega queues whilst bemused customs officials search for contraband, not at all.
    Philip will be delighted at the new sovereignty displayed by individual EU countries' customs officials. Previously they had no say in allowing British-originated ham and egg sandwiches into their country.

Now they truly have thrown off the yoke of oppression.
    shouldnt that be yolk ?
    It's not a laughing matter.
    Don't you mean it's not a laughing batter?
    Flat as a pancake, that one.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

1.3m additional jabs since last week, still too slow and hopefully this week we will see the end of second jabs entirely as no additional appointments should have been booked, 2.6m people getting their first jab would be a lot better than 2.3m with 0.3m having had two.
  • Options

I always said there would be disruption in January as people get used to the new paperwork, but there would be an incentive for businesses to get their paperwork in order to make it as smooth as possible. 🙄
    This isn't "disruption in January". Do you think these new checks will stop in February?

This isn't paperwork. This is sovereignty in action. You want to come into our country, lets check you aren't bringing in any contraband, open your boot please.

Nor can the paperwork be made smooth. It doesn't work in our supply chain. The solution to "spend money filling in paperwork which both you and your customers then need to hire a customs agent to process" will be the rapid end to UK imports and exports.

We have cut ourselves off from our biggest market. Contrary to delusional wank bank fantasies about CANZUK there are no alternative markets of equivalent size and distance. We either - as Make UK et al are saying - negotiate a new deal that works. Or we both lose our exporters and lose the ability to import stuff apart from at vast cost.

"Oh no we won't" counters Philip with his extensive knowledge of fuck all.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Anyone who wants to fly abroad will need some kind of vaccine document, for sure. That's basically 80% of the country right there, the Britons who enjoy a foreign holiday.

My best guess is that it will be an app, you can show to authorities, on your smartphone. The Australians have a very efficient e-visa service, which works smoothly, just like this.

Once it is widely established - for travellers, I suspect it will be used in many other areas of life, as well. And it will be popular, because it will enable us all to get nearer to "normality" - eg flying to Majorca for a nice break.

Bring it on.
    Many African countries require a yellow fever vaccination to enter. Very possible that COVID vaccination (once widely available) will be added to the list. COVID vaccination or enforced 2 week quarantine would be an easy choice for most people.
    Its a bit of yellow paper I keep in the back of my passport.

A smart phone app is different altogether, especially if it becomes my access to 'many other areas of life'.
  • Options
    Foss said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Your doctor should have a record. They can then charge for certs like they would if you wanted the jabs for africa or otherwise.
    Would GPs have a record if jabs are done at any of the vaccination centres that are not GP surgeries?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Anyone who wants to fly abroad will need some kind of vaccine document, for sure. That's basically 80% of the country right there, the Britons who enjoy a foreign holiday.

My best guess is that it will be an app, you can show to authorities, on your smartphone. The Australians have a very efficient e-visa service, which works smoothly, just like this.

Once it is widely established - for travellers, I suspect it will be used in many other areas of life, as well. And it will be popular, because it will enable us all to get nearer to "normality" - eg flying to Majorca for a nice break.

Bring it on.
    I don't say you are wrong but according to that calculator that is/was going around that would rule out people under 40 going on their summer holidays.

Not sure that is where the various governments want to be.
    I guess this summer many governments/airlines will content themselves with a recent negative PCR test, until they can introduce longer-lasting vax certificate apps. But the latter are much more reassuring, so I can't see how they won't arrive, eventually
    Is there a risk that some countries will be picky about which particular vaccine has been given? For instance, Pfizer = yes, AZN = no?
  • Options
    Professional Golf Assocation of America (PGA) has voted to terminate its agreement with Trumpsky organization and remove its 2022 championship event from The Donald's golf course at Bedwetter, NJ.

Makes me wonder about Gary Player and Annika Sorenstam who both accepted Medals of Freedom from his blood-stained hands AFTER the attempted Trumpsky Putsch.

Used to have considerable respect for Gary Player. No more, nevermore.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006

TOPPING said:

Philip will be delighted at the new sovereignty displayed by individual EU countries' customs officials. Previously they had no say in allowing British-originated ham and egg sandwiches into their country.

shouldnt that be yolk ?
    Is this no-sandwich thing because the Dutch heard someone say that Brexiters are all into bread?
    It's because the EU banned people from bringing in UK meat and dairy. In contrast, it seems we are still allowed to bring meat and dairy back from the EU (apart from, for some reason, Cyprus) https://www.gov.uk/guidance/personal-food-plant-and-animal-product-imports
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

shouldnt that be yolk ?
    That`s enough of the waffle.

(Ooh I did one.)
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Mortimer said:

The wider issue will be not just air travel, but where else you will have to show a vaccination certificate before access is allowed. Cinemas? Nightclubs? Restaurants? Work in hospitality? Access to shops? It is quite easy to envisage an economy where you are very largely excluded without such a certificate. It may not be compulsory - but there will nonetheless be health apartheid.

Pretty sure it will be deemed illegal to favour customers in such a way.
    Not sure on what legal grounds you say that. "Unvaccinated" is not a protected characteristic under the Equality Act or otherwise and I can't see Parliament legislating to make it so. You could try and argue that anti-vaxx is a deeply held philosophical belief and shoehorn it it into "religion or philosophical belief" that way but it's not convincing and there would be a legitimate health ground for wht would be, at worse, indirect discrimination.
    Yes, quite. We should certainly encourage venues where a lot of people crowd together to insist on customers having been vaccinated, for as long as the virus is still in circulation and remains a danger (assuming that, as expected, vaccination does reduce the risk of being a carrier). That's because not only does the guy who goes to the nightclub unvaccinated threaten the safety of others who are vaccinated (because protection won't be 100%), he also threatens the safety of others he might meet subsequently, if there are other unvaccinated people admitted to the nightclub.

The goals should be (a) public safety, and (b) re-opening normal life as fast as possible. Vaccination certificates allow (b) with minimal risk to (a).
  • Options
    It seems the UK is paying a high price for Christmas
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in Brexit reality:

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/brexit/a-third-of-mands-food-subject-to-new-tariffs-when-exporting-to-eu/651899.article

A third of M&S’s food products are subject to new tariffs on exports to the EU under the UK’s trade deal, the retailer’s CEO has revealed.

The new tariffs together with “very complex administrative processes” would “significantly impact” M&S’s businesses in Ireland, the Czech Republic and franchises in France, the retailer said in its Christmas trading update this morning.

But its ok. All the problems will go away, says Philip, once they learn how to do paperwork in February.
  • Options

It seems the UK is paying a high price for Christmas

And Ireland even higher :(
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

1.3m additional jabs since last week, still too slow and hopefully this week we will see the end of second jabs entirely as no additional appointments should have been booked, 2.6m people getting their first jab would be a lot better than 2.3m with 0.3m having had two.
    'Still too slow' will be able to be said anytime before the target is reached, when of course you cannot immediately reach the target. Did you mean that the rate of increase is still too slow?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907

We should really be doing studies comparing the protection of those with 2 doses vs. 1. I hope someone is going to do that. If 1 dose is really the better approach - could save so many lives if other countries adopt our strategy.
  • Options
    Mary_BattyMary_Batty Posts: 630
    edited January 2021

It seems the UK is paying a high price for Christmas Boris

FTFY
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Jesus

Now they take it away?
    You can create a support bubble. Don't think that's under threat.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    edited January 2021

just for a change

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/returning-emigrants-may-have-prompted-surge-in-uk-variant-39953836.html
    It's behind a paywall; can you tell me what in the article makes you say they're "blaming the English"? I can only read this much:

"The rapidly spreading UK variant of Covid-19 is feared to be behind a significant infection surge in Co Mayo. The latest figures from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre, released last Thursday, show that one in every 50 people in Belmullet had contracted Covid-19 over the previous 14-day period. Health chiefs in the county believe the high influx of returning emigrants for Christmas from the UK is behind the spike in cases."

And they lifted much of their restrictions for three weeks before Christmas. Funny how case numbers tend to go up a couple weeks after that.
  • Options
    I am guessing that none of the mutations will fully escape the vaccines, but were that to happen, this is an interesting notion.
    https://twitter.com/_b_meyer/status/1348680126234505217
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Should be fascinating to see the specifics of why people do not vote to convict - eg dispute the charge, say not right action at right time in right place etc?
  • Options

FTFY
    It is sad that you think it is OK to change a poster comment

Can you imagine if I start changing your posts
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes - other reports suggest they'll let Biden get his first 100 days out of the way - and confirm his cabinet - before starting Trump's trial
  • Options
    Completely off topic from anything being discussed but relevant to discussions that often take place here . . . I was doing my daughter's schooling (Year 2, age 6) with her before and for history/geography she has been learning about explorers. Today's topic was to research and learn about Christopher Columbus.

So I started by talking to her about what I knew about Christopher Columbus, then we watched a couple of videos aimed at kids teaching about Christopher Columbus on YouTube.

What was noteworthy however was that the two videos could not have been more different. One, which looked quite dated, was all about heroic Christopher Columbus, how he discovered America and portrayed him in an unambiguously heroic and flattering light.

The other, newer, video taught about how Christopher Columbus grew up, how he got into exploration, how he got the idea of finding Asia, how he got approval to sail to find India but found America instead . . . then about how he was a cruel governor, how he was removed, arrested and imprisoned . . . and then into detail about how he was a slaver, that he took native Americans for slavery on the day he first found America and that he boasted that he could capture as many slaves as they could sell. This video emphasised we should remember Columbus for his discovery but not as a hero. It also led to an awkward conversation with my daughter when she asked what a slave is - a topic not covered before in her education as far as I know.

This left me thinking - there will be people growing up today only exposed to one or the other of these viewpoints depending upon their parents (and potentially their schools) preferences. People who grow up with an idealised and heroic view of Columbus - and others who view him as someone who might have been a great explorer, but was also a slaver and cruel to his subjects while Governor.

All of these facts are true, but not all are objectively covered by everyone and not everyone wants to learn everything. People who grow up with what are alternative sets of facts are going to grow up thinking very different things and looking at the world very differently.

So this got a lot more philosophical to me than I expect her teacher was thinking in setting the lesson plan - but I'm not sure how the world is best shaped to address these issues.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

FTFY

They might actually start to make sense!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

IanB2 said:

What a shame.
    Proud Boys: lock and load?

• Options
    Gaussian said:

just for a change

And they lifted much of their restrictions for three weeks before Christmas. Funny how case numbers tend to go up a couple weeks after that.
    Could easily be a mix of the two factors
  • Options

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Jesus

Now they take it away?
    which makes sense.

but also opens up all sorts of additional trouble.
  • Options

FTFY

No! How did that happen?

Mods - seriously.
  • Options

What we would all like to know is: Where does your great knowledge and insight come from oh wise one?
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Gaussian said:

just for a change

Could easily be a mix of the two factors
    Definitely. Unlucky to pick up the new variant at the same time as dropping their guard.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited January 2021
    Stocky said:

FTFY

No! How did that happen?

Mods - seriously.
    I have long objected to posters comments being edited by other posters

If we all started to do that the site's integrity would be impacted
  • Options

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Jesus

Now they take it away?
    I have, with my older daughter, who lives with her mother. That means I get to see her once a week. I don't want to go round more often because her mother is vulnerable, healthwise, and extremely nervous. She can cope with once a week.

My only other human interaction is - or was - the previously-allowed exercise with one other person.
  • Options

Stocky said:

FTFY

No! How did that happen?

Mods - seriously.
    First I`ve heard of it - I never knew this was possible.
  • Options
    Now at 210,000/day says Hancock.
  • Options

Foss said:

eek said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Would GPs have a record if jabs are done at any of the vaccination centres that are not GP surgeries?
    You can only book a jab if you're registered with a GP. On that bases the feedback loop to your GP records should be closeable if it is not already closed.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524
    I do wish the government, and several on here, would cease the embarrassing, shouty triumphalism about how much better our vaccination roll-out is than the rest of Europe. It shouldn't be a competition. A quiet pride in our achievements so far would be more dignified.

Any anyway, it's early days for triumphalism. It's reminiscent of many football tournaments that we've entered with high hope of English success, only to find out in the long-term that we lose, with Germany usually winning (even if on penalties).
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    210,000 a day on average says Hancock in last four days.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

FTFY

No! How did that happen?

Mods - seriously.
    First I`ve heard of it - I never knew this was possible.
    It does happen from time to time and I think the moderators need to warn against it
  • Options

210,000 a day on average says Hancock in last four days.

Hopefully once the seven large centres are open that rate will go up to 350-400k.
  • Options

This isn't "disruption in January". Do you think these new checks will stop in February?

This isn't paperwork. This is sovereignty in action. You want to come into our country, lets check you aren't bringing in any contraband, open your boot please.

Nor can the paperwork be made smooth. It doesn't work in our supply chain. The solution to "spend money filling in paperwork which both you and your customers then need to hire a customs agent to process" will be the rapid end to UK imports and exports.

We have cut ourselves off from our biggest market. Contrary to delusional wank bank fantasies about CANZUK there are no alternative markets of equivalent size and distance. We either - as Make UK et al are saying - negotiate a new deal that works. Or we both lose our exporters and lose the ability to import stuff apart from at vast cost.

"Oh no we won't" because it is total and utter bullshit.

I do understand economics and work in business. And economically the majority of our exports already take place outside the EU. Without being in their customs union.

Yes some trade may be disrupted, but the idea that we stop exporting is complete bullshit. Some imports may stop if people can't find a reason to do the paperwork etc - but others will continue. A new equilibrium will be reached.

If your logic were right we would have zero trade with the rest of the world as we're not in their customs union. It is nonsense.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,243
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

'Still too slow' will be able to be said anytime before the target is reached, when of course you cannot immediately reach the target. Did you mean that the rate of increase is still too slow?
    Check my maths please -

1.3 million vaccinations

185,714 per day (assuming 7 days a week)

Given the total population of 67 million

2,443 vaccinations per million per day

At this rate, the UK is the third fastest vaccinating nation in the world

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-vaccination-doses-per-capita?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&time=latest&region=World

with Israel and United Arab Emirates ahead.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes - other reports suggest they'll let Biden get his first 100 days out of the way - and confirm his cabinet - before starting Trump's trial
    Senate should definitely NOT delay Biden's legislative agenda. On the other hand, no need for lengthy committee investigation, let alone days of debate.

EVERYBODY knows what happened, what Trumpsky and his minions did. Cut and dried.

Try'em quick and hang 'em high.
  • Options

FTFY

oh stop your sour pouting, it's extremely gentle satire on what you wrote, responsibly signposted with the obligatory "FTFY" that let's anyone know what's up.
  • Options

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Check my maths please -

1.3 million vaccinations

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-vaccination-doses-per-capita?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&time=latest&region=World

That's in week 1 of AZ and no mega centres. Each of those seven should be able to do 15-20k per day from the sounds of things.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

shouldnt that be yolk ?

(Ooh I did one.)
    Header writers should not be scrambling around trying to crack egg puns.
  • Options

What we would all like to know is: Where does your great knowledge and insight come from oh wise one?
    Mind your own business.

My background is economics and running a business. More than that I'd rather not share because its none of your business to be frank. Discuss the ideas not the man. I'm happy to defend my own propositions and provide evidence for it - the rest is fluff.
  • Options

Completely off topic from anything being discussed but relevant to discussions that often take place here . . . I was doing my daughter's schooling (Year 2, age 6) with her before and for history/geography she has been learning about explorers. Today's topic was to research and learn about Christopher Columbus.

So I started by talking to her about what I knew about Christopher Columbus, then we watched a couple of videos aimed at kids teaching about Christopher Columbus on YouTube.

What was noteworthy however was that the two videos could not have been more different. One, which looked quite dated, was all about heroic Christopher Columbus, how he discovered America and portrayed him in an unambiguously heroic and flattering light.

The other, newer, video taught about how Christopher Columbus grew up, how he got into exploration, how he got the idea of finding Asia, how he got approval to sail to find India but found America instead . . . then about how he was a cruel governor, how he was removed, arrested and imprisoned . . . and then into detail about how he was a slaver, that he took native Americans for slavery on the day he first found America and that he boasted that he could capture as many slaves as they could sell. This video emphasised we should remember Columbus for his discovery but not as a hero. It also led to an awkward conversation with my daughter when she asked what a slave is - a topic not covered before in her education as far as I know.

This left me thinking - there will be people growing up today only exposed to one or the other of these viewpoints depending upon their parents (and potentially their schools) preferences. People who grow up with an idealised and heroic view of Columbus - and others who view him as someone who might have been a great explorer, but was also a slaver and cruel to his subjects while Governor.

All of these facts are true, but not all are objectively covered by everyone and not everyone wants to learn everything. People who grow up with what are alternative sets of facts are going to grow up thinking very different things and looking at the world very differently.

So this got a lot more philosophical to me than I expect her teacher was thinking in setting the lesson plan - but I'm not sure how the world is best shaped to address these issues.

Lots of historic figures are both classed as "goodies " and "badies " depending on who you speak to/read
    Of the top of my head

Richard the Third
    Dick Turpin
    Robin Hood (if he ever did exist)
    Churchill
    Thatcher
    Francis Drake etc

In the end its probably best to accept we can not really categorise them as good or bad based on third party evidence that naturally decays over the years coupled with changing moral norms. In a way its not a bad thing to accept some myths about them if they are interesting as it sort of makes you curious to know more
  • Options

Lots of historic figures are both classed as "goodies " and "badies " depending on who you speak to/read
    Of the top of my head

Richard the Third
    Dick Turpin
    Robin Hood (if he ever did exist)
    Churchill
    Thatcher
    Francis Drake etc

In the end its probably best to accept we can not really categorise them as good or bad based on third party evidence that naturally decays over the years coupled with changing moral norms. In a way its not a bad thing to accept some myths about them if they are interesting as it sort of makes you curious to know more
  • Options

IanB2 said:

What a shame.

I suspect it will be something like:

People are picking on me so much, even though I was so great and the election was stolen from me. But I never told people to be violent, that is fake news, and still they pick on me.

Me me me.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Senate should definitely NOT delay Biden's legislative agenda. On the other hand, no need for lengthy committee investigation, let alone days of debate.

EVERYBODY knows what happened, what Trumpsky and his minions did. Cut and dried.

No, quite the opposite. They should take their time, de-politicise it as much as they possibly can, and gather as much really solid evidence as possible. What's the hurry, after all?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    edited January 2021
    Given the rate of infection, those in Group 10 (low risk) are perhaps more likely to gain immunity via transmission rather than via vaccination, as they aren't going to be vaccinated until late spring (June). We could thus end up with herd immunity that is gained in large part through infection, maybe even 50/50?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

FTFY

I have long said that TOPPING is far and away the best poster on PB.
    Yes. To be discouraged.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

I do understand economics and work in business. And economically the majority of our exports already take place outside the EU. Without being in their customs union.

Yes some trade may be disrupted, but the idea that we stop exporting is complete bullshit. Some imports may stop if people can't find a reason to do the paperwork etc - but others will continue. A new equilibrium will be reached.

If your logic were right we would have zero trade with the rest of the world as we're not in their customs union. It is nonsense.
    I'm sorry but I see very little evidence that you understand how business actually works.

Working in business is very different from actually owning / managing one.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Bring it on.
    I don't say you are wrong but according to that calculator that is/was going around that would rule out people under 40 going on their summer holidays.

I guess this summer many governments/airlines will content themselves with a recent negative PCR test, until they can introduce longer-lasting vax certificate apps. But the latter are much more reassuring, so I can't see how they won't arrive, eventually
    Is there a risk that some countries will be picky about which particular vaccine has been given? For instance, Pfizer = yes, AZN = no?
    There's Covid vaccine. Then there's M&S slow-baked artisan Fair Trade high-efficacy single-dose Covid vaccine...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

What a shame.

I suspect it will be something like:

People are picking on me so much, even though I was so great and the election was stolen from me. But I never told people to be violent, that is fake news, and still they pick on me.

Me me me.
    Twitter stock down 10% today apparently.
  • Options

Now at 210,000/day says Hancock.

Seems pretty confident about hitting the "14m by 14 Feb" Valentine's Day Target.

We'll see.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Check my maths please -

1.3 million vaccinations

That's in week 1 of AZ and no mega centres. Each of those seven should be able to do 15-20k per day from the sounds of things.
    Birmingham is aiming to do 2500 a day by next week - which seems rather low.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-55620244
  • Options

FTFY

oh stop your sour pouting, it's extremely gentle satire on what you wrote, responsibly signposted with the obligatory "FTFY" that let's anyone know what's up.
    You do not change my post and have some respect
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    Almost at the very beginning of this, I made the suggestion of 'covid treatment kits' to be delivered through letterboxes to be part of the package following a diagnosis. I wonder if this might have helped more sufferers to recover from the disease at home in isolation, and perhaps avoided hospitalisation in significant numbers of cases.

I just think there is a huge and rather needless gulf between 'Get plenty of rest and take paracetomol' and 'Call an ambulance'. We already had some excellent advice on PB about monitoring oxygen levels at home. I think the following video from Dr Berg is another excellent guide for sufferers:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bKU2JyIMHrc

It is very much in the culture of the NHS, indeed the culture of the medical profession down the ages, not to empower the patient and give them ideas above their station. It is possible that this attitude has resulted in many many people doing just that, and throwing themselves into hospital treatment because they did not feel empowered to take on Covid at home.

• Options

I do wish the government, and several on here, would cease the embarrassing, shouty triumphalism about how much better our vaccination roll-out is than the rest of Europe. It shouldn't be a competition. A quiet pride in our achievements so far would be more dignified.

Any anyway, it's early days for triumphalism. It's reminiscent of many football tournaments that we've entered with high hope of English success, only to find out in the long-term that we lose, with Germany usually winning (even if on penalties).

And they usually start with a dour and disappointing draw against a minnow. Same with Italy. So, yes, a fine analogy and a disturbing one.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    rkrkrk said:

We should really be doing studies comparing the protection of those with 2 doses vs. 1. I hope someone is going to do that. If 1 dose is really the better approach - could save so many lives if other countries adopt our strategy.
    I feel all the hokey pokey with lots of slightly different tiers may have given a lot of insight to the epidemiologists over the last 6 months, so why not - 300k is a decent samples of 2nd vaxxees, so a basis for comparison is definitely three. Though, I'm not sure that I entirely follow the 'change one thing at a time' chain in all the different tiering decisions
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FTFY

Yes. To be discouraged.
    Again attacking the integrity of the forum
  • Options
    Foss said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Check my maths please -

1.3 million vaccinations

Birmingham is aiming to do 2600 a day by next week - which seems rather low.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-55620244
    Very slow ramp up, implies around 20-25 people doing the jabs. How is it not at least 150 per centre?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

If I detonated a nuke in St Paul's Catherdral or kicked the crutch away from a Chelsea pensioner, a new equilibrium would rapidly be reached. The expression is simply meaningless. Please stop using it.
  • Options
    Hancock saying no rule change yet. Thank f*ck
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    There's no committee stage; witnesses and evidence can be presented, but straight to the full senate hearing, presided over (phew, says Pence) by the chief justice of the supreme court.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

And they usually start with a dour and disappointing draw against a minnow. Same with Italy. So, yes, a fine analogy and a disturbing one.
    then again many unfavorably compared the UK to the rest of Europe about case levels not long ago so I think its fair- anyway competition creates effort - a few hurt euro feelings is not important in this crisis is it?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Bring it on.

Interesting - at 2m doses a week a 40yr old with no u/l health problems would be vaccinated by May. At 1m/week it would be by October.
    I'm 40 in June, where does that leave me ?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

No, quite the opposite. They should take their time, de-politicise it as much as they possibly can, and gather as much really solid evidence as possible. What's the hurry, after all?
    No way to "de-politicise" a Putsch. And no need to gather evidence, it's already been gathered.

One thing that unites Americans across the political spectrum, is the way the Congress of the United States can spend endless hours and days and weeks and months and years and years and years doing . . . nothing much.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830

Perhaps if many of here resisted the urge to shout how much worse than europe we are at the drop of the hat for other covid stats people wouldn't feel the need to retaliate.

Often indeed shouting how bad we were compared to Europe on things that had yet to happen such as not joining the EU vaccine buying scheme and how we would lose out by not doing so.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Why would it take 100 days? With politics in the USA so partisan at the moment, isn't it just a matter of head counting?
    I wouldn't be surprised if a GOP trifecta after 2024 led to a post-retirement impeachment of Biden.
  • Options
    has anyone estimated the rates of vaccination per day since that first jab on the 8th. Think I could work back using the various numbers, both official and not, but was wondering if it had been done, well, anywhere?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    TOPPING said:

FTFY

Yes. To be discouraged. It is a truth universally acknowledged that Anabobazina's wisdom is unparalleled here. I wouldn't wish to steal his glory.
    *Blushes*

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

shouldnt that be yolk ?

(Ooh I did one.)
    Header writers should not be scrambling around trying to crack egg puns.
    Yes, they should ovoid them at all costs.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    52% of Americans want Trump to be removed from office but 87% of Republicans do not want Trump removed from office

https://twitter.com/QuinnipiacPoll/status/1348685491080597504?s=20
  • Options

TOPPING said:

FTFY

Yes. To be discouraged.
    Again attacking the integrity of the forum
    That one probably wouldn't have happened had you not whined about being very gently ribbed in the first place. Sort of like a Streisand effect.
    Anyway, No More Tears (Enough Is Enough), I shan't edit your posts again, Babs.
  • Options

Professional Golf Assocation of America (PGA) has voted to terminate its agreement with Trumpsky organization and remove its 2022 championship event from The Donald's golf course at Bedwetter, NJ.

Makes me wonder about Gary Player and Annika Sorenstam who both accepted Medals of Freedom from his blood-stained hands AFTER the attempted Trumpsky Putsch.

Used to have considerable respect for Gary Player. No more, nevermore.

i know its old school but maybe Gary player adheres to the sensible slogan of keep sport free from politics
  • Options
    Leon said:

Hancock saying no rule change yet. Thank f*ck

I'm not sure the political will is there for any further measures whatsoever.

Even labour today could not say whether meeting in the park etc was wrong.

Meanwhile Harper and Co. heaping pressure on the government for a proper roadmap.

And the news from Sunak was so gloomy!
This discussion has been closed.