Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Both Trump and Biden stage Georgia rallies on the eve of today’s Georgia runoffs – politicalbetting.

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

This makes Boris Johnson's answers in the Marr interview even more bizarre.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1346506227006763009

There has to be some explanation. God knows what it is but as you say the sequence of events is just so bonkers that there must be more to it than we know right now.

That, or Boris is the utterly useless twat we have said he is all along.
    The 'useless twat' hypothesis is pretty much proven now. Boris just can't stop himself putting off a difficult decision in the hope that something will turn up to make the decision unnecessary, and of course inevitably that means we end up with the worst of both worlds. I cut him a lot of slack for what in hindsight were mistakes at the beginning of the pandemic, but by now you'd have hoped he'd have learnt something. It was completely obvious by early December that things were getting out of control; his dithering in the hope he could avoid 'cancelling Christmas' has simply meant that many, many lives will have been lost, and the distribution of the vaccines which is the only way out of the nightmare will be unnecessarily disrupted. And of course Christmas was effectively cancelled anyway, and the panic lockdown at zero notice has simply piled on even greater losses for restaurants and other venues who were hoping to recoup some of their losses with Xmas and New Year bookings.

He's a world-class ditherer who makes even Gordon Brown look decisive in comparison. We really did draw the short straw having him as PM in this pandemic.
    I take no pleasure in saying to those members of the party to which I used to belong "I told you so". Boris Johnson has no leadership skills. He is a political and leadership cretin; a joke candidate who should never have even been made a junior minister let alone PM. We are reaping what idiot Tory members sowed, which was in no small part caused by those idiot Labour members that voted for Corbyn.
    Boris got a Tory majority of 80 to beat Corbyn and has delivered Brexit, that was exactly what Tory members elected him to do
    In hindsight I think the Tories got their PMs the wrong way round.

Should have gone with Boris in 2016 to get the Brexit mess done. May, ironically, might have been a better leader for a serious crisis like Covid.
    We test more than any other EU country, we are a world leader in vaccine depolyment, isn't that good?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

There has to be some explanation. God knows what it is but as you say the sequence of events is just so bonkers that there must be more to it than we know right now.

The 'useless twat' hypothesis is pretty much proven now. Boris just can't stop himself putting off a difficult decision in the hope that something will turn up to make the decision unnecessary, and of course inevitably that means we end up with the worst of both worlds. I cut him a lot of slack for what in hindsight were mistakes at the beginning of the pandemic, but by now you'd have hoped he'd have learnt something. It was completely obvious by early December that things were getting out of control; his dithering in the hope he could avoid 'cancelling Christmas' has simply meant that many, many lives will have been lost, and the distribution of the vaccines which is the only way out of the nightmare will be unnecessarily disrupted. And of course Christmas was effectively cancelled anyway, and the panic lockdown at zero notice has simply piled on even greater losses for restaurants and other venues who were hoping to recoup some of their losses with Xmas and New Year bookings.

He's a world-class ditherer who makes even Gordon Brown look decisive in comparison. We really did draw the short straw having him as PM in this pandemic.
    I take no pleasure in saying to those members of the party to which I used to belong "I told you so". Boris Johnson has no leadership skills. He is a political and leadership cretin; a joke candidate who should never have even been made a junior minister let alone PM. We are reaping what idiot Tory members sowed, which was in no small part caused by those idiot Labour members that voted for Corbyn.
    And considering that under Johnson's government this country has bought, organised, provided and injected more vaccines than the rest of the entire continent put together then I take great pleasure in saying "I told you so" that he is a good Prime Minister. 😎

Swings and roundabouts. It's far too early to make clichéd soundbites about how bad things supposedly are but I have every confidence that Boris is going to lead us out of this pandemic before Macron does France or even Merkel does Germany.
    Europe seems a horror story of ineptitude and real in fighting

On covid and vaccination we left at the right time

Indeed. The key was leaving in spirit and not just words. If we had been "good Europeans" and joined the scheme then things would be much, much worse.

If ever anything was to demonstrate Europe's sclerosis then this vaccine catastrophe is a prime example of scelerotic failure in action. Nimble British action has potentially saved tens or hundreds of billions of pounds and tens of thousands of lives by getting the vaccine first.

Everyone should be very grateful we aren't ensnared within the disastrous European scheme. Well done Johnson!
  • Options
    I've suddenly remembered the extreme squawking over the September projections of Vallance and Whitty. Not looking ott now.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

And considering that under Johnson's government this country has bought, organised, provided and injected more vaccines than the rest of the entire continent put together then I take great pleasure in saying "I told you so" that he is a good Prime Minister. 😎

Swings and roundabouts. It's far too early to make clichéd soundbites about how bad things supposedly are but I have every confidence that Boris is going to lead us out of this pandemic before Macron does France or even Merkel does Germany.

Indeed. The key was leaving in spirit and not just words. If we had been "good Europeans" and joined the scheme then things would be much, much worse.

If ever anything was to demonstrate Europe's sclerosis then this vaccine catastrophe is a prime example of scelerotic failure in action. Nimble British action has potentially saved tens or hundreds of billions of pounds and tens of thousands of lives by getting the vaccine first.

Everyone should be very grateful we aren't ensnared within the disastrous European scheme. Well done Johnson!
    Only 75k dead, what a result!
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

TOPPING said:

Only 75k dead, what a result!
    I will be surprised if it isn't significantly over a hundred thousand when all is said and done.

But it is a once in a century global pandemic that could have been much, much worse. And it could have gone on for much, much longer without being first country on the planet to get an approved vaccine.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,134

kinabalu said:

Look, I'm sorry, but with this shocking data, isn't the opening of schools yesterday, knowing how infectious the virus is, knowing that children are efficient catchers and spreaders of it, knowing that many of those children will interact with more vulnerable adults verging on the criminally negligent?

Are you suggesting Drakeford is criminally negligent

He opened senior schools yesterday and upto last night all primary schools
    It needs to be a very, very long custodial sentence. There are several others from Welsh Labour who need to accompany Drakeford on the journey to Parc Prison.

Although factually, you may not be 100% correct. I am not aware of any publically funded schools that were due to open before tomorrow.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited January 2021

Pulpstar said:

Delingpole is - well he makes Farage look like a bleeding heart liberal.

I don't understand him.

He seems to make it his lifelong mission to act like the biggest penis he can possibly be.

Like that's a virtue.
    When your shtick is iconoclastic contrarian there is an event horizon. Eventually the shtick gets old and you get boring and one of two thi gs happen
    A ) you get the equivalent of tenure and you can be Rod Liddle or Peter Hitchens
    B ) you have to keep adopting more and more extreme positions to get attention.

Delingpole has done B and started drinking the koolaid.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sorry but I have to say it because your post makes me very cross indeed, please please shut up about matters that you have absolutely zero understanding of. I know that means you will have very little to comment on, but you are amply demonstrating you have nothing to say other than useless platitudes in support of the most stupid dangerous idiot who has ever been our PM.

You clearly know even less about pharmaceutical development and regulatory approval than you do about other matters, so in reality less than nothing if such a feat were possible. Fundamentally you are, even more than usual, talking out of your arse.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,164

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Is there any other nation more obsessed with class than the British?

I find it a bit weird, even my Scottish boss said there's plenty of classism in Scotland, although that's more of an Edinburgh/Glasgow rivalry.

I don't know, nobody would claim that Bearsden was lower class than Wester Hailes. And the Byres Road is every bit as twee as Broughton Street or Newington. It's a geographical thing , like the States - East and West Coast separated by the great plains and arid deserts of West Lothian and Linlithgowshire, inhabited by pink sheep and giant water horses.
    My boss is an Posh Jock as he's from Edinburgh, home of classy places like the Caley, the fringe, and the castle.

Glasgow has places like Gorbals and Govan.
    You ought to ask him about Craigmillar and Wester Hailes!
    I've just texted him that, his reply 'The worst bits of Edinburgh are better than the best bits of Glasgow.'
    Is there anywhere in either worse than Cumbernauld? Because I wouldn't want to go there.
    Gorbals, before they flattened it a decade or so ago.
    I could bet my last pound you will never have seen or been to the Gorbals, you may be looking at wiki from 1940's, this does not look very shabby does it ................arse

Fake news - blue sky in Glasgow - no way! :smiley:
    They had 50 years to wait for it - the relentless rain has meant that these works have been in plan since the 70s.

I think these photos were taken in 2008 when God popped along to give Brown his halo and dispense aircraft carriers all round.

There is nothing better than a bright Scottish morning. Nothing more dismal than a Scottish rainy afternoon. Oddly I feel that these two undoubted facts sum up someone or other.. :)
    You >:)
    I may not have been referring to you! What presumption!

I was though.

Anyway Mr G, do flash your sunny uplands at us more than exposing your dark glens. (If Malcom turns out to be 17 and female I'll get arrested!)

If only I was 17 , I will be more cheery but the site needs someone to shake them up and be grumpy.
    You might have your birthday on the 29 February ... (as a friend of mine did: fortunately his family allowed him an honorary one on the 28 Feb in intercalary years).
    My birthday is the 29th February and I am 20 in 2024

And my many honorary birthdays have always been on the 28th February but my driving licence was issued for the 1st March
    I have always thought that those born on 29 Feb should celebrate successive birthdays on 1 March. Your 1st birthday is then the day after 28 February, so the first anniversary of your birth, and you proceed from there.
    Lots of arguments between my mother and father over that point when I was a lad.

Mother maintained I was born on the last day of February and Father the first day after the 28th

In truth it confused many of the family and as a lad I did not object to having it over the two days
    Maybe I have devoted too much time to this, but I think you should celebrate on the 28th the year after a leap year and 1st of March the year before a leap year, while either is equally right/wrong in the middle year. My rationale is that the solar year is around 365.25 days. So one year after a leap year your birthday should be on Feb 28.25, which rounds to Feb 28. One year before it should be Feb 28.75, which rounds to Mar 1. In the middle year it is Feb 28.5, and so it's a toss-up.
    My daughter was born at 06:32 so if she'd been born on 29th February she would just have kept all her birthdays on February 28th by your system when you account for the length of the Tropical Year more exactly being 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 45 seconds (though this changes, so I'm being unduly precise).
This discussion has been closed.