Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The money’s still goes on the Republicans winning at least one of the Georgia runoff Senate election

Comments

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2020
    The death figures today and yesterday are sad to see, and look more like the pattern of the spring.
    Scott_xP said:
    The remoteness of the term here is almost amusing, illustrating how the media and political classes have become disconnected from the story over the last couple of weeks . "January" is tomorrow.
  • Options

One of the City's most prominent hedge fund managers is preparing to invest millions of pounds in GB News, the fledgling current affairs broadcasting company which is targeting a launch into British homes next year.

Sky News has learnt that Sir Paul Marshall, the co-founder of Marshall Wace, is in advanced talks about injecting approximately £10m into GB News.

https://news.sky.com/story/city-tycoon-marshall-tunes-into-60m-gb-news-fundraising-12176428

I really don't see this. The likes of Sky News gets tiny audiences. There is already the BBC, who have the size to smash most competition and a range of smaller competition from Sky, to Talk Radio, to Times Radio to LBC, and big bad Uncle Rupert is launching News UK.

Fake news is pretty addictive in a way that real news is not. It sells.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,535
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Re Bitcoin, as the only man on here to have bought it at $3, and as I still hang on to well... half a bitcoin... it is worth remembering that it has one massive flaw:

The way it is architected allows it to only process about 5 to 7 transactions a second.

And another smaller one...
    It typically takes 15 to 30 minutes to get confirmation of a transaction having been completed, during which the sender could (in theory) walk back the transaction.

Together, these don't matter, if everyone is just buying it and sitting on it, but it doesn't really allow for it to be used for regular purchases, or indeed to replace "fiat" money or payment networks like Western Union, PayPal or Visa.

Have you seen the 'physical' bitcoins?

It's a USB stick that you can load coin onto, and give it to someone, who can give it to someone else.

If you want to spend the coin online you need to snap it to reveal the key

https://opendime.com
    That still doesn't really solve any of the fundamental problems with Bitcoin.
    I'm sceptical the fundamental problems can be solved.

The technology itself could be useful in other areas but a currency it is not.
    Lightning is a very interesting attempt to graft scalability onto Bitcoin. Before I set up my auto insurer, I considered getting into that space. The issue was that - to make it work - you'd need to work with some seriously scummy people. And I quite like living and not going to jail.
    LOL

A chap I know in Banking had a look at the issues with investing in the now-legal pot business in the US.

His conclusion was that, like Las Vegas, it needs to be fully legalised and the criminals properly chased out of it first.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

The Republicans are fatally split between Trump supporters and the old guard. They cannot abide each other.

Should be easily enough to allow the democrats to win Georgia handily.

After that, well, all bets are off. America is wide open to the radical left. Green deals, mass immigration, huge tax hikes, identity politics with a vengeance, lockdowns, reparations,

I suggest bitcoin. Touched 29,000 a little while ago. Still in the foothills. Still at the beginning.

Bitcoin is the biggest Ponzi scheme of all time. I wouldn't put a penny into it.

It is fundamentally worthless. The technology is interesting but this application of it is not.

Edit: If you're worried about fiat currency then buy gold, not magic beans.
    I bought quite a lot of gold over Christmas actually.

How did you actually do that? Buy a gold mining company`s shares? Or gold futures?
    For ordinary investors, you don’t want to be faffing about with physical gold, which you either have to hide beneath the floorboards or pay some semi-scam company to store for you. The sensible choices are either an ETF linked to the gold price or a reputable fund like Black Rock Gold & General. I have held the latter for years and add to my holding whenever the short to medium term outlook looks grim, and partly sell whenever optimism is in the wind. Over the piece it’s up there with my most successful investments.
    My most successful was a Australian listed company operating a Chilean gold mine. Made out like a bandit on both currency legs and the gold price 😊
  • Options
    This government couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate farting contest in a baked beans factory.

https://twitter.com/wesstreeting/status/1344687323888439299
  • Options

One of the City's most prominent hedge fund managers is preparing to invest millions of pounds in GB News, the fledgling current broadcasting company which is targeting a launch into British homes next year.

Sky News has learnt that Sir Paul Marshall, the co-founder of Marshall Wace, is in advanced talks about injecting approximately £10m into GB News.

https://news.sky.com/story/city-tycoon-marshall-tunes-into-60m-gb-news-fundraising-12176428

I really don't see this. The likes of Sky News gets tiny audiences. There is already the BBC, who have the size to smash most competition and a range of smaller competition from Sky, to Talk Radio, to Times Radio to LBC, and big bad Uncle Rupert is launching News UK.

I’m not quite sure how the economics work either, but perhaps the channel itself is merely a loss-making way to produce covidiot and brexity culture war fodder for more profitable use elsewhere.
    Just what we need, even more boomer radicalisation.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

Just remember Dominic Cummings never was Boris Johnson's man, he is and always has been Michael Gove's consigliere.

And a story that undermines both the PM and his heir (all too) apparent helps who, exactly?
    I'm shocked to say Michael Gove benefits.

I have heard anecdotally that Gove has doubts that Boris Johnson is the man to keep the Union together.

Gove to save (sic) the Union.

Shows the Scots the Tories love the Union, look we've elected a Scot to be our leader/PM.
    Surely that would cause England to vote to leave instead?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Just remember Dominic Cummings never was Boris Johnson's man, he is and always has been Michael Gove's consigliere.

https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1344681089005195265

Is that the same lockdown in march he went on to break, or a different one?
    How many times? He did not break lockdown. He broke quarantine.
    The Police cleared him of that. Hence all the complaints about Barnard Castle, which was a lockdown issue.
    Am I therefore mistaken in thinking he did not go into work when his wife had Covid symptoms, and he did not drive to Durham while displaying them himself?

Because if so, he made an error in his statement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dominic-cummings-statement-speech-transcript-durham-full-text-read-lockdown-a9531856.html
    The whole statement was a pack of lies from beginning to end. The Baranard Castle bit was just the more extreme segment which even the most gullible could not swallow.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2020

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Re Bitcoin, as the only man on here to have bought it at $3, and as I still hang on to well... half a bitcoin... it is worth remembering that it has one massive flaw:

The way it is architected allows it to only process about 5 to 7 transactions a second.

It typically takes 15 to 30 minutes to get confirmation of a transaction having been completed, during which the sender could (in theory) walk back the transaction.

Together, these don't matter, if everyone is just buying it and sitting on it, but it doesn't really allow for it to be used for regular purchases, or indeed to replace "fiat" money or payment networks like Western Union, PayPal or Visa.

It's a USB stick that you can load coin onto, and give it to someone, who can give it to someone else.

Lightning is a very interesting attempt to graft scalability onto Bitcoin. Before I set up my auto insurer, I considered getting into that space. The issue was that - to make it work - you'd need to work with some seriously scummy people. And I quite like living and not going to jail.
    LOL

A chap I know in Banking had a look at the issues with investing in the now-legal pot business in the US.

His conclusion was that, like Las Vegas, it needs to be fully legalised and the criminals properly chased out of it first.
    My understanding with US pot business was that taxation is so high and regulation so stringent, while punishment for illegal growing / selling so low, that it practically encouraged new players into the illegal market because they know there is a massive load of customers who happily not pay the 15% tax on top existing 15% sales tax all for a fancy bag, while not having to worry about what exact fertilizers can be used or yield per acre can be.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Phil said:

If you're worried about

eek said:

The Republicans are fatally split between Trump supporters and the old guard. They cannot abide each other.

After that, well, all bets are off. America is wide open to the radical left. Green deals, mass immigration, huge tax hikes, identity politics with a vengeance, lockdowns, reparations,

I suggest bitcoin. Touched 29,000 a little while ago. Still in the foothills. Still at the beginning.

Bitcoin is the biggest Ponzi scheme of all time. I wouldn't put a penny into it.

It is fundamentally worthless. The technology is interesting but this application of it is not.

Bitcoin has a purpose that gold doesn't have - which is that you can use it as a transfer of wealth across national borders with little risk.
    Well it might if the value of Bitcoin was stable and predictable.

Considering its advocates rage against fiat currency, fiat currency is far more stable, secure and predicable in value. Bitcoin may serve a purpose in allowing drug dealers to move money, but I'm not convinced there's a stable future in it.

The very soaring nature of it "$29,000 and just in the foothills" is precisely why it is nothing but one of the most technically elaborate Ponzi schemes ever.
    When a big investment firm recently made a bitcoin investment, they did so, they said on the basis it was a hedge against the devaluation of the world's major currencies.

And that's all it is really, a hedge, and the only way I would suggest anybody takes a look at it, as one among a wide range of investments.

Now why would the world's major currencies devalue? well, they have been printing money like its going out of fashion and will continue to do so, and the rates offered for some investments in theses currencies are zero or in some cases negative.

Shock news as Investment Fund talks own book!

Anyone considering a serious investment in Bitcoin should take a long hard look at Tether first. The company controlling Tether has about two weeks before they finally get hauled up in court in NY. I personally suspect things may get a little “interesting” for the world of cryptocurrency afterwards, but I could be wrong: dyor.
    Hang on:

Tether was a fraud based around the idea that it was a cryptocurrency tied to the USD. When, in fact, it involved people stealing the money. (If they'd been smart, they would have invested the money, and taken the profits.)

Bitcoin's value comes from its inherent scarcity. There cannot be more than 21 million bitcoin. Of course, this leads some people to (stupidly) think that the price can only go up.
    Tether is pumping the price of bitcoin.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2020

One of the City's most prominent hedge fund managers is preparing to invest millions of pounds in GB News, the fledgling current broadcasting company which is targeting a launch into British homes next year.

I’m not quite sure how the economics work either, but perhaps the channel itself is merely a loss-making way to produce covidiot and brexity culture war fodder for more profitable use elsewhere.
    To be fair to the post war generation, it does have to be said that a lot of the current generation of radical older conservatives are really a little younger than the classic boomers as they used to be understood, at around 50-65.
  • Options

This government couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate farting contest in a baked beans factory.

False premise. Mr Streeting is assuming there actually *is* a plan.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

I bought quite a lot of gold over Christmas actually.

How did you actually do that? Buy a gold mining company`s shares? Or gold futures?
    For ordinary investors, you don’t want to be faffing about with physical gold, which you either have to hide beneath the floorboards or pay some semi-scam company to store for you. The sensible choices are either an ETF linked to the gold price or a reputable fund like Black Rock Gold & General. I have held the latter for years and add to my holding whenever the short to medium term outlook looks grim, and partly sell whenever optimism is in the wind. Over the piece it’s up there with my most successful investments.
    My most successful was a Australian listed company operating a Chilean gold mine. Made out like a bandit on both currency legs and the gold price 😊
    IG Group was started to allow small investors to participate in the gold markets.

As a hedge against extremes there's no point at all investing in gold funds or the like. If the extreme outcome happens then they'll not be around to pay you.

In my view too Bitcoin is worth zero.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

And a story that undermines both the PM and his heir (all too) apparent helps who, exactly?

I have heard anecdotally that Gove has doubts that Boris Johnson is the man to keep the Union together.

Shows the Scots the Tories love the Union, look we've elected a Scot to be our leader/PM.
    Surely that would cause England to vote to leave instead?
    You know that, I know that.
    But MG thinks he's good at stuff.
    Remember A Stab In The Dark, his attempt to be an edgy Channel 4 satirical standup?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,680
    edited December 2020
    tlg86 said:

felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    Whistleblower or media tart?

twitter.com/JujuliaGrace/status/1344655733187612672?s=20
    twitter.com/JujuliaGrace/status/1344661661051969536?s=20
    Seems like a definite media tart.

twitter.com/JujuliaGrace/status/1344262970851917826?s=19

Smells like bovine manure.
    She is Chief Executive of EveryDoctorUK. She spends her time campaigning against the government.

Dr Julia Patterson of campaign group EveryDoctor tells why she quit health service ‘cut back to its very bones

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/29/doctors-quit-nhs-austerity-stress-staff-shortages
    Florece Nightingale / Mary Seacole she is not.
    I am not saying her tweet isn't true, but she has an agenda and she has been pushing it for years. At the start of the year she was making wild claims about how Hancock was going to destroy GPs.
    Too bad she wasn’t right.
    She's certainly doing the Hokey-Cokey .... quite a short week.

https://twitter.com/JujuliaGrace/status/1344262970851917826
    https://twitter.com/JujuliaGrace/status/1344322700324597765
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    This would be the same ministers who have told us for five years that this is all Project Fear rubbish?
    They should listen to Philip who insists my suggestions that hard border checks will cause lengthy queues is Project Fear rubbish.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

UK R

From case data

From hospitalisation data

The R rate began to fall when schools closed then?
  • Options

To be fair to the post war generation, it does have to be said that a lot of the current generation of radical older conservatives are really a little younger than the classic boomers as they used to be understood, at around 50-65.
    My son calls me a boomer, and I am 45.
  • Options

Gove simply isn't plotting against Boris. Gove knows he can never be Tory leader, let alone PM. And it's precisely because of his prior plotting that this is the case (Still think it was Mrs Gove).

He can though play the 'great statesman' and Boris is giving him the rope to do just that.
  • Options

Yes, "boomer" has become a bit of a pan-generational insult.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Gove simply isn't plotting against Boris. Gove knows he can never be Tory leader, let alone PM. And it's precisely because of his prior plotting that this is the case (Still think it was Mrs Gove).

He can though play the 'great statesman' and Boris is giving him the rope to do just that.
    But in the purely hypothetical situation that the Conservative Party needed a new leader on the quickfast, and Rishi tragically wasn't available, who else is there?
  • Options
    Butterfly Labs were a bunch of right dodgy chances who found a massive spigot of idiots to fleece (no offence intended rcs)

Extended "burn in" tests that resulted in BF Labs mining coins with the machine that you had purchased.
  • Options

People need to stop hassling Gavin Williamson. If only the Leader of the Opposition hadn't been flagging concerns from teachers about the spread of Covid and instead encouraged schools to reopen then we wouldn't be in this mess.

It really is all his fault.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Guardian swiftly moves on/switches sides/joins Mail and Spectator 4 years late.
    You would have to have a heart of stone........

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/31/the-left-brexit-economic-uk

God. Was I wrong after all? Surely if the Guardian thinks it might have been a good idea after all....
    Larry Elliot has always been a Lexiteer iirc.

Yes. And he has continued to publish pro-Brexit pieces throughout.

There are a hardcore of Brexity trolls on here though that seem keen to make a wider point.
    Indeed. There also seems to be a misunderstanding that newspapers only ever publish opinion pieces with which the editor and/or owner agrees.

I think regardless whether you are left or right in your politics and/or economics, whether you agree or disagree with Brexit, this is a good article. For us to make the best of where we are, we have to assume responsibility and embrace to positive opportunities rather than dwell bitterly on what we feel we have lost.
  • Options

Yes, "boomer" has become a bit of a pan-generational insult.
    Youngest (16) calls eldest (20) boomer.
    But just to wind them up.
  • Options
    A party political broadcast by the Scottish Government

https://twitter.com/scotgov/status/1344224235754033152?s=20

I think the UK government might want to think about putting a different case....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360

Who wouldn't want, in the middle of a massive health crisis stretching the medical system to it's limits, a number of untrained clowns wandering around the wards demanding to know "How do you feel?"
    I've often wondered how one became a 'medical correspondent'.
    I presume you need to demonstrate

- You are suitably high in the media hierarchy
    - You lack any knowledge of medicine
    - You display a suitable inability to learn about medicine
    - You can appear to be really caring on camera
    You forgot the most important qualification. You have to be innumerate. Otherwise you would have to bin most of your stories and headlines.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Tampon tax: government axes VAT on sanitary products

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/31/tampon-tax-government-axes-vat-on-sanitary-products

But campaigner still angry at the government, because they did Brexit, and the EU won't now cut the rate because UK have left...or something. Funny how she isn't angry at the EU for a f##king terrible law.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

LOL

My understanding with US pot business was that taxation is so high and regulation so stringent, while punishment for illegal growing / selling so low, that it practically encouraged new players into the illegal market because they know there is a massive load of customers who happily not pay the 15% tax on top existing 15% sales tax all for a fancy bag, while not having to worry about what exact fertilizers can be used or yield per acre can be.
    It's partly that - but also that because it isn't federally legal, the banks can't touch it. So the *money people* behind pot are the kind of people who can invest suitcases of cash.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Awful.

We seem on track to lose another 50, 60k lives this year.
    It would have to get catastrophically worse to lose them this year.
    Next year starts in under seven hours.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

LOL

It's partly that - but also that because it isn't federally legal, the banks can't touch it. So the *money people* behind pot are the kind of people who can invest suitcases of cash.
    Very good point. I have seen a few shows where businesses that are legit constantly have their bank accounts closed and have to resort to all sorts of dodgy means to handle the money they are making.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Omnium said:

But in the purely hypothetical situation that the Conservative Party needed a new leader on the quickfast, and Rishi tragically wasn't available, who else is there?
    Yes, if Boris dies under one of his own buses driven by Khan then Gove is front-and-center.

Now Brexit is 'done' though (or whatever Brexit's state is) it's a lot less likely. A Tory leadership election tomorrow I'd have Hunt as the favourite for example. Gove would have (just about been fav before Xmas)

Sunak is too short. He'd in an outstanding position to progress his case though, and he has a couple of years - so I think should be fav. Patel slightly too long.

edit: I see Patel has shortened a bit from 30ish to mid 20s in the last few days - that makes sense as above.

• Options
    I volunteered* to go into town earlier. On our first day in Tier 4 Thornaby was rammed. Large groups of people milling around. I was asked to go into Iceland (I know...) which was very very busy. OK so almost everyone had a mask on. But social distancing has largely died out. I feel like the only person wanting to stay apart from people.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    edited December 2020

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.
    Revolting as he may be, I bet Cummings is handy in a knife fight.
    https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1344671032553181184?s=19

What is this "ready to testify" nonsense? I am happy to believe the story that the advice was given and (wrongly) rejected, but that's what happens: advisers advise, other advisers advise different, those they advise decide. What does testimony on oath add to the claim, other than reminding the reader that they wouldn't believe good ol' eye test Dom if he swore on the Bible and on his children's heads that the sun rose in the East?
    I think testifying to the Health Select Committee, chairman one Jeremy Hunt.

I think the nation will be more mightily confused to hear that Cummings was and is pro lockdown.
    Why? We heard that around 8 months ago - first there were claims he was attending meetings he should not trying to prevent lockdown, then claims he was attending meetings he should not in which he pressed for lockdown.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    Whistleblower or media tart?

twitter.com/JujuliaGrace/status/1344655733187612672?s=20
    twitter.com/JujuliaGrace/status/1344661661051969536?s=20
    Seems like a definite media tart.

twitter.com/JujuliaGrace/status/1344262970851917826?s=19

Smells like bovine manure.
    She is Chief Executive of EveryDoctorUK. She spends her time campaigning against the government.

Dr Julia Patterson of campaign group EveryDoctor tells why she quit health service ‘cut back to its very bones

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/29/doctors-quit-nhs-austerity-stress-staff-shortages
    Florece Nightingale / Mary Seacole she is not.
    Good excuse to past this

(I couldn’t find the Formidable Florence episode quickly...)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6gTBITDiarc
  • Options

I volunteered* to go into town earlier. On our first day in Tier 4 Thornaby was rammed. Large groups of people milling around. I was asked to go into Iceland (I know...) which was very very busy. OK so almost everyone had a mask on. But social distancing has largely died out. I feel like the only person wanting to stay apart from people.

Iceland do some interesting things that others do not.

Quite innovative.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Alistair said:

Andy_JS said:
    Hmm.
    Do nearly 40% of the UK’s population die every year?
    If 3% of those who test positive die in 28 days after that, and it has nothing to do with that test, then those 28 days are nothing special and shouldn’t differ from the rest of the year.
    13 x 4 weeks = 52 weeks.
    13 x 3% = 39%.

So, if that hypothesis (the test being positive is unrelated to the death in these vases) is true, then 39% of Brits die every year, and even with births, the country will be completely depopulated in 2 and a half years.

I think we can reject that hypothesis.
    Basic arithmetic, the enemy of Covid Deniers everywhere.
    Have also noticed that the doctor he’s quoting there was the same one who came up with the staggeringly ignorant mince about vaccine development and testing a couple of months ago.

Shouldn’t have been surprised, really.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

By the time it was politically possible to do so (late March), it wouldn't have made much difference, as only 0.5% of cases were imported from overseas.
    And then we imported another load during the summer.

That's without the imagery effect - allowing unrestricted international travel led to some people believing that the overall risk was low.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

UK R

From case data

We should be very careful not to ascribe the apparent fall to anything. We are in the Mother Of All Weekend Effects at the moment.

The interesting bit is that the fall in case R appears to start around the 20th December. Too soon for Christmas Effect? possibly.

If so, we are looking for what changed 10-14 days before.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509

I think the UK government might want to think about putting a different case....

I predicted when the Scottish Government decided to keep back £350 million of the additional funding they were given for Covid to deal with 'Brexit issues' that the result would be a propaganda campaign about how bad Brexit was.

If this campaign has been paid for with money originally earmarked for Covid, and it can be proven, that's going to look terrible.
  • Options
    Daylight in the afternoons lasting noticeably longer now.

I know that happens at this time every year but its especially welcome at present.
  • Options

You need to stop behaving like a straw man, clearly :wink:
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

LOL

Alternatively, there is Canada. Where Farm Credit Canada will consider a loan.

https://www.fcc-fac.ca/en/financing/cannabis.html
  • Options

My son once called me a smackhead in front my colleagues.

He was like 3, and my friend Rob had spent the weekend with us, and he taught my son the phrase 'Your Dad is acting like a smackhead.'

Rob explained to my son that a smackhead is someone who is being silly/naughty and deserves a smack on the head.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Hmm.
    If 3% of those who test positive die in 28 days after that, and it has nothing to do with that test, then those 28 days are nothing special and shouldn’t differ from the rest of the year.
    13 x 4 weeks = 52 weeks.
    13 x 3% = 39%.

So, if that hypothesis (the test being positive is unrelated to the death in these vases) is true, then 39% of Brits die every year, and even with births, the country will be completely depopulated in 2 and a half years.

Could you please stop thinking and using those ugly number things?

You are going to Hurt The Feelings of a COVID denier and Feelings are more important than your silly Fact things.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    2nd dose of Pfizer for my 94 yr old uncle on 8.1.21 and my 90 yr old mum on 9.1.21 looks like its off

Pfizer says 21 days clinically proven 12 weeks not so much

Its a f***in fiasco

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2020/12/C0994-System-letter-COVID-19-vaccination-deployment-planning-30-December-2020.pdf
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Scott_xP said:
    Awful.

We seem on track to lose another 50, 60k lives this year.
    It would have to get catastrophically worse to lose them this year.
    Next year starts in under seven hours.
    I was speculating he may be posting from NZ, at least spiritually.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669

2nd dose of Pfizer for my 94 yr old uncle on 8.1.21 and my 90 yr old mum on 9.1.21 looks like its off

Its a f***in fiasco

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2020/12/C0994-System-letter-COVID-19-vaccination-deployment-planning-30-December-2020.pdf

Still nothing whatsoever for my 94 year old dad.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    kjh said:

Its a f***in fiasco

A tough decision, do you give fewer people the best protection, or more people with worse protection?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

LOL

Very good point. I have seen a few shows where businesses that are legit constantly have their bank accounts closed and have to resort to all sorts of dodgy means to handle the money they are making.
    Yup - the guy I was talking with said that about 10 minutes after the banking system is fully authorised to lend, you'll see

- Big Agriculture getting in the game. And Big Tobacco
    - Production costs head south, big time.
    - The hippy grower types will either go up market - high quality high price. Or be crushed.
    - The criminals will get squeezed out very quickly.
    - The taxes will go down - big business will have their lobbyists on it in a nano-second.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,833
    O/T

"The woke have no vision of the future
    Today's SJWs believe all that needs to be done to bring about a new world is to destroy the old one
    By John Gray"

https://unherd.com/2020/12/the-woke-have-no-vision-of-the-future-2/
  • Options

He was like 3, and my friend Rob had spent the weekend with us, and he taught my son the phrase 'Your Dad is acting like a smackhead.'

Rob explained to my son that a smackhead is someone who is being silly/naughty and deserves a smack on the head.
    My father worked in a laboratory. Unfortunately when I was small I couldn't say that word, so my teacher was under the impression he worked in a a lavatory.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Hmm.
    13 x 4 weeks = 52 weeks.
    13 x 3% = 39%.

You are going to Hurt The Feelings of a COVID denier and Feelings are more important than your silly Fact things.
    From the piece:

On its return is has been, generally, far less deadly. Much you would expect. The most vulnerable died on first exposure, and far fewer people had any resistance to it, at all. Now, a number of people do have some immunity, and may of the vulnerable are already dead.

Evidence that the majority of people had been exposed before the 2nd wave?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771
    edited December 2020
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

What is this "ready to testify" nonsense? I am happy to believe the story that the advice was given and (wrongly) rejected, but that's what happens: advisers advise, other advisers advise different, those they advise decide. What does testimony on oath add to the claim, other than reminding the reader that they wouldn't believe good ol' eye test Dom if he swore on the Bible and on his children's heads that the sun rose in the East?

I think the nation will be more mightily confused to hear that Cummings was and is pro lockdown.
    Why? We heard that around 8 months ago - first there were claims he was attending meetings he should not trying to prevent lockdown, then claims he was attending meetings he should not in which he pressed for lockdown.
    I understand that Cummings did indeed do both, with a reverse ferret in the middle. A reverse ferret when he saw the focus groups of Tory voters being very happy at the prospect of dieing in the cause of herd immunity as "useless eaters".
  • Options
    About those new border processes. The government have examples on their website. Some great examples as to how smooth and free of costs / delays the process will be.
    Exporting Fish

Exporting Machinery

Importing Car Parts for that just in time build process

Its all very simple, cost free and absolutely no delays.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

The "greatest moment of Covid" was the 1 week turnaround of political columnist switching from "You are an idiot for thinking we should lockdown, herd immunity through infection by autumn is the wise clever option" to "We must lockdown now and close schools" and then pretending they never wrote the first column even when sent links to it.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

LOL

Alternatively, there is Canada. Where Farm Credit Canada will consider a loan.

https://www.fcc-fac.ca/en/financing/cannabis.html
    OK - you have some money in Canada. Now what?

If you transfer it to a US bank - if you try and use it for financing pot growing they have to stop you, or the feds go after them. And you

Ah, you cry, a branch of the Canadian bank. Nope - subject to US *federal law*.

So you withdraw the money in cash and take it across the border. Well, congrats, you are now in Money Laundering territory. Anyone stops you with the cash - they will confiscate it and you may get back. Next century.

Borrowing the money from Boyd Crowder looks better and better....
  • Options
    BBC News featuring pressure on hospitals.
    By having a reporter and crew stand outside the entrance to one.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

We get most of our shopping delivered now - Iceland shop came today.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Andy_JS said:
    Hmm.
    13 x 4 weeks = 52 weeks.
    13 x 3% = 39%.

From the piece:

On its return is has been, generally, far less deadly. Much you would expect. The most vulnerable died on first exposure, and far fewer people had any resistance to it, at all. Now, a number of people do have some immunity, and may of the vulnerable are already dead.

Evidence that the majority of people had been exposed before the 2nd wave?
    The evidence is all in the cellar of Pizza Express Dean Street - the one where Boris hides the kidnapped people (the "fake deaths" in the news).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,977
    RobD said:

kjh said:

Its a f***in fiasco

A tough decision, do you give fewer people the best protection, or more people with worse protection?
    You should stick to the clinically trialled regimen.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Andy_JS said:
    Hmm.
    13 x 4 weeks = 52 weeks.
    13 x 3% = 39%.

I want this argument to be right, but it does assume that the tested are a representative sample of the population overall, does it not?
  • Options
    RobD said:

kjh said:

Its a f***in fiasco

I will give you my 94 yr old uncles number and let you explain why it was "vital" a fortnight ago for him to come next week otherwise "he wont be protected" and now its not!!

I do get its a difficult decision but he really wont understand.

I personally think those with booked appointments already should keep them and the 12 week thing kicks in for new first dosers.

My 87 yr old Aunt gets her first dose tomorrow (NYD) BTW
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

Its a f***in fiasco

I'd lean that way, too. At the very least for Pfizer.
  • Options

I believe Paul is a LibDem
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

Its a f***in fiasco

Exactly 12 weeks fine for Oxford not for Pfizer
  • Options

Try giving them some of your choicest views on how awful Brexit is going to be, in some detail. That ought to clear a room.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

The "greatest moment of Covid" was the 1 week turnaround of political columnist switching from "You are an idiot for thinking we should lockdown, herd immunity through infection by autumn is the wise clever option" to "We must lockdown now and close schools" and then pretending they never wrote the first column even when sent links to it.
    The turn around time was much quicker than 1 week. One journalist managed it in sequential tweets....
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,901
    edited December 2020

Its a f***in fiasco

That's a couple of extra jabs for two other 90-year-olds, though. Your folks are probably slightly less protected, but two other folks are a lot more protected (than they would be with no jab at all), so a net plus.
  • Options

On the the news just now that the only way Edinburgh will mark Hogmanay is a lone piper on the ramparts of the castle at the bells.

Even if you hate the pipes and have never attended the ghastly, commercialised scrum/wonderful celebration of this most Scottish night, that should still have the hairs on your neck rising.

Should be quite magical - the more so because so few will hear and see it.
  • Options

Its a f***in fiasco

That's a couple of extra jabs for two other 90-year-olds, though. Your folks are probably slightly less protected, but two other folks are a lot more protected (than they would be with no jab at all), so a net plus.
    Or 4 people not properly protected

Pfizer says over 21 days protection not proven

Why bother with clinical trials if you can just make it up as you go along
  • Options

I have great respect for both your son, and Rob, in that story. Knowing instinctively how to pick your moment of greatest impact is a very useful skill, so well done to the little lad.
  • Options

Its a f***in fiasco

Whilst I understand there were arguments about going with a one shot, given AstraZeneca is now approved I don't understand doing something not approved by the manufacturer on the Pfizer.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

Its a f***in fiasco

Yes, with the Pfizer that was 3 weeks, but it was 84 days median in one arm (the most effective arm) of the AZN.

I think 12 week gap is reasonable for AZN, but not the Pfizer.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Charles said:

I believe Paul is a LibDem
    He was, and wrote a chapter of "Orange Book Liberalism", but he broke with them over the EU.

I don't think he has any particular current alignment.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

Its a f***in fiasco

Yes, with the Pfizer that was 3 weeks, but it was 84 days median in one arm (the most effective arm) of the AZN.

So why Pfizer included in 12 weeks letter?

• Options

Its a f***in fiasco

Because there is a limited supply of vaccine and a rampaging virus! Yes, it's not ideal to go with one rather than two jabs, but it means that more people will get one jab rather than no jabs. Giving twice the people one jab is likely to save more lives than giving everyone two shots. Its a case of reasonable assumptions and simple arithmetic.
  • Options

Its a f***in fiasco

Depends on your definition of properly protected I suppose. The statement from the MHRA is that a single jab of either has been demonstrated to provide short-term protection.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I get the occasional twinge - I was doing GOPU research back in the day. Had the most powerful GPU yet made on early release from NVIDIA. Fired up BitCoin mining for a laugh. Left it running - by accident - at work over the weekend. This was when mining on a single machine was spewing bitcoins....

Deleted all the data on Monday and did some real work.
    I ordered a Butterfly Labs bitcoin miner on-line, the very first produced.

It was shipped to me in the UK, but by a twist of fate Fedex lost it for six weeks. In that period Bitcoin mining difficulty increased more than four times.

I then sold it on eBay to someone.

They used it to generate Bitcoin for two months. Then they claimed it didn't work, and returned it. I made a complain to eBay, but they weren't interested. That person basically stole £2,000 from me.
    The whole BitCoin mining thing reminded me of the stories of various gold rushes. The people who made the money sold spades, picks and other supplies.... the miners themselves often ended up poorer
    The appeal is surely that Bitcoin is finite and more difficult for authorities to keep tabs on than fiat.

Investors are doing the maths. The great money printing adventure can only last so long.

Even the most conservative Western governments will be coming for middle class money soon. Big Time. What else can they do?
    I tend to agree that governments are going to lean ever more on the magic money printing machine.

And at some point, that will inevitably lead to inflation.

But I couldn't tell you if that happens in 2021 or 2051.

Remember that Japan has been furiously printing money for about two decades now, and the BOJ now owns debt equivalent to well over 100% of Japanese GDP, and that hasn't resulted in a single drop of inflation.
    We need some new economics. Our current monetary theories are not consistent with the current lack of inflation. Not at all.
  • Options

Is that legal?

it's an SNP not a Scottish Govt message.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:
    Hmm.
    13 x 4 weeks = 52 weeks.
    13 x 3% = 39%.

I want this argument to be right, but it does assume that the tested are a representative sample of the population overall, does it not?
    Indeed, it presumes that whatever else they are in hospital with carries just the usual background risk of death.

While Covid-19 can be protean in its manifestations, generally it has fairly characteristic features so recognising it as a cause of death is not usually too hard. Perhaps a bit harder in someone who is admitted with a fractured hip, tests positive and dies of post op pneumonia for example, but even then the x ray picture and blood tests are distinctive.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,977

dixiedean said:

UK R

From case data

We should be very careful not to ascribe the apparent fall to anything. We are in the Mother Of All Weekend Effects at the moment.

The interesting bit is that the fall in case R appears to start around the 20th December. Too soon for Christmas Effect? possibly.

Wasn't lockdown ending at that point ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Its a f***in fiasco

Depends on your definition of properly protected I suppose. The statement from the MHRA is that a single jab of either has been demonstrated to provide short-term protection.
    Short term 21 days Pfizer definitely safe

short term 12 weeks God knows lets roll the dice?

THE LATTER IS NO WAY TO RUN A VACCINATION PROGRAMME
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I get the occasional twinge - I was doing GOPU research back in the day. Had the most powerful GPU yet made on early release from NVIDIA. Fired up BitCoin mining for a laugh. Left it running - by accident - at work over the weekend. This was when mining on a single machine was spewing bitcoins....

It was shipped to me in the UK, but by a twist of fate Fedex lost it for six weeks. In that period Bitcoin mining difficulty increased more than four times.

They used it to generate Bitcoin for two months. Then they claimed it didn't work, and returned it. I made a complain to eBay, but they weren't interested. That person basically stole £2,000 from me.
    The whole BitCoin mining thing reminded me of the stories of various gold rushes. The people who made the money sold spades, picks and other supplies.... the miners themselves often ended up poorer
    The appeal is surely that Bitcoin is finite and more difficult for authorities to keep tabs on than fiat.

Investors are doing the maths. The great money printing adventure can only last so long.

Even the most conservative Western governments will be coming for middle class money soon. Big Time. What else can they do?
    I tend to agree that governments are going to lean ever more on the magic money printing machine.

Remember that Japan has been furiously printing money for about two decades now, and the BOJ now owns debt equivalent to well over 100% of Japanese GDP, and that hasn't resulted in a single drop of inflation.
    We need some new economics. Our current monetary theories are not consistent with the current lack of inflation. Not at all.
    I think ageing populations are fundamentally deflationary, because they run down savings, which reduces the stock of money. The government and BOJ are simply compensating.

• Options

RobD said:

Its a f***in fiasco

Short term 21 days Pfizer definitely safe

short term 12 weeks God knows lets roll the dice?

THE LATTER IS NO WAY TO RUN A VACCINATION PROGRAMME
    What are you on about? The MHRA statement said that with a single dose it has been shown you get significant protection, at least in the short term. Nothing to do with a second dose.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Is that legal?

Every single line is true though. Shouldn't be illegal to tell the truth.
  • Options

On the the news just now that the only way Edinburgh will mark Hogmanay is a lone piper on the ramparts of the castle at the bells.

Even if you hate the pipes and have never attended the ghastly, commercialised scrum/wonderful celebration of this most Scottish night, that should still have the hairs on your neck rising.

We had a great time in Edinburgh last year and watched the fireworks over the Castle from the Grassmarket which was a lot less crowded and unticketed before adjourning to a friend's flat.

None of that this year but my wife got me a tasting menu from a very good local restaurant for Christmas. She picked it up this afternoon and we are going to be seeing the New Year in with some style, even if we are just the family.

All the best when it comes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

UK R

From case data

Wasn't lockdown ending at that point ?
    Ended on 2nd December, so no.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

House price inflation seems to be back in vogue. Perhaps that's where the money is going?
  • Options

Its a f***in fiasco

No, it’s not

JVCI looked at the totality of the evidence and made a recommendation. Pfizer stated their protocol.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Monetarism has near zero predictive value as we learned in the 1980s when the UK government was stupid enough to implement it. Economists have other models for forecasting inflation which work just fine.
  • Options
    Phil said:

rcs1000 said:

Phil said:

If you're worried about

eek said:

Bitcoin has a purpose that gold doesn't have - which is that you can use it as a transfer of wealth across national borders with little risk.
    Well it might if the value of Bitcoin was stable and predictable.

Considering its advocates rage against fiat currency, fiat currency is far more stable, secure and predicable in value. Bitcoin may serve a purpose in allowing drug dealers to move money, but I'm not convinced there's a stable future in it.

The very soaring nature of it "$29,000 and just in the foothills" is precisely why it is nothing but one of the most technically elaborate Ponzi schemes ever.
    When a big investment firm recently made a bitcoin investment, they did so, they said on the basis it was a hedge against the devaluation of the world's major currencies.

And that's all it is really, a hedge, and the only way I would suggest anybody takes a look at it, as one among a wide range of investments.

Now why would the world's major currencies devalue? well, they have been printing money like its going out of fashion and will continue to do so, and the rates offered for some investments in theses currencies are zero or in some cases negative.

Shock news as Investment Fund talks own book!

Anyone considering a serious investment in Bitcoin should take a long hard look at Tether first. The company controlling Tether has about two weeks before they finally get hauled up in court in NY. I personally suspect things may get a little “interesting” for the world of cryptocurrency afterwards, but I could be wrong: dyor.
    Hang on:

Tether was a fraud based around the idea that it was a cryptocurrency tied to the USD. When, in fact, it involved people stealing the money. (If they'd been smart, they would have invested the money, and taken the profits.)

Bitcoin's value comes from its inherent scarcity. There cannot be more than 21 million bitcoin. Of course, this leads some people to (stupidly) think that the price can only go up.
    1) Bitcoin supply is inflationary for the natural lifetime of anyone buying it today, even if miners don’t collude to change the protocol, which given that mining is concentrated into the hands of a single digit number of entities (possibly fewer, it’s hard to know for sure), they’re at liberty to do any time they like.

2) Tether is /the/ stablecoin for the majority of crypto-currency exchanges. The BTC/Tether pair is the most heavily traded pair IIRC.

3) Tether has been printing like crazy the last few months. Sure, that might be real $ inflows. /Or/ it might be rampant printing from an outfit that knows the SEC has it in it’s sights & is looking to print, buy BTC and sell out as much as possible before the shoe finally drops.

Re 3: From the outside, it’s impossible to tell. If you’re buying into BTC right now, you’re making a bet that you’re not being used as a bag-holder by Tether insiders. Do you feel lucky?
    Sorry: (1) is simply untrue. The miners cannot simply "collude" to change the protocol. (And even if they could, they have absolutely no incentive to do so.)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,881

About those new border processes. The government have examples on their website. Some great examples as to how smooth and free of costs / delays the process will be.
    Exporting Fish

Exporting Machinery

Importing Car Parts for that just in time build process

Its all very simple, cost free and absolutely no delays.

I look forward to what the Scottish fishermen make of it especially when they have live shellfish to get through Dover.

*checks that firm tearing their collective hair out the other week about the covid test delays to see what they think of the new bumf*

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1344415565704790018

• Options
    edited December 2020

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

Its a f***in fiasco

So why Pfizer included in 12 weeks letter?

Because the government are (a) not very bright and (b) in a panic.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Is that legal?

Can you talk me through the qualitative difference between it and this (apart from the Scotgov one being from a government voted in by Scots and the UK Government in Scotland coming from a government voted in by you)?

https://twitter.com/UKGovScotland/status/1344214522643570688?s=20
This discussion has been closed.