Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The money’s still goes on the Republicans winning at least one of the Georgia runoff Senate election

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    rcs1000 said:

Re Bitcoin, as the only man on here to have bought it at $3, and as I still hang on to well... half a bitcoin... it is worth remembering that it has one massive flaw:

The way it is architected allows it to only process about 5 to 7 transactions a second.

And another smaller one...
    It typically takes 15 to 30 minutes to get confirmation of a transaction having been completed, during which the sender could (in theory) walk back the transaction.

Together, these don't matter, if everyone is just buying it and sitting on it, but it doesn't really allow for it to be used for regular purchases, or indeed to replace "fiat" money or payment networks like Western Union, PayPal or Visa.

Have you seen the 'physical' bitcoins?

It's a USB stick that you can load coin onto, and give it to someone, who can give it to someone else.

If you want to spend the coin online you need to snap it to reveal the key

https://opendime.com
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    felix said:

algarkirk said:

Guardian swiftly moves on/switches sides/joins Mail and Spectator 4 years late.
    You would have to have a heart of stone........

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/31/the-left-brexit-economic-uk

So funny to think of the Guardian seeing sense before so many of the lemons on here.
    It’s a fair argument, to turn Brexit back upon those who advocated it purely to line their own pockets at our expense. And would play happily into the - so far remarkably low key - calls for a more caring world to emerge from the virus crisis.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

My guess is that the Republicans win both. But then you already know that.

If the Dems do win both, then Mitch McConnell needs to take some of the blame. His "obstruct at all costs" tactics would probably motivate me to go out and vote Dem.
    Trump surely would have the personal blame. His disgraceful and undemocratic behaviour since November 5th must have riled up his opponents like nothing else. Hopefully, if it happens, it kills the idea that he might be a candidate in 2024 (always seriously far fetched) stone dead.
    Trump's problem is that he claims elections are rigged but still calls on voters to participate in them.

Its a bit like urging someone to make a bet on something you believe is fixed.

I'm torn on whether he believes it himself. On the one hand he admitted after winning the republican primaries in 2012 that he used to call it rigged but stopped as he won, that is the outcome proves whether he'll claim it for real, on the other he really does seem to believe anything he reads online .
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,047
    DavidL said:

If you're worried about

eek said:

The Republicans are fatally split between Trump supporters and the old guard. They cannot abide each other.

Should be easily enough to allow the democrats to win Georgia handily.

After that, well, all bets are off. America is wide open to the radical left. Green deals, mass immigration, huge tax hikes, identity politics with a vengeance, lockdowns, reparations,

I suggest bitcoin. Touched 29,000 a little while ago. Still in the foothills. Still at the beginning.

Bitcoin is the biggest Ponzi scheme of all time. I wouldn't put a penny into it.

It is fundamentally worthless. The technology is interesting but this application of it is not.

Edit: If you're worried about fiat currency then buy gold, not magic beans.
    Bitcoin has a purpose that gold doesn't have - which is that you can use it as a transfer of wealth across national borders with little risk.
    Well it might if the value of Bitcoin was stable and predictable.

Considering its advocates rage against fiat currency, fiat currency is far more stable, secure and predicable in value. Bitcoin may serve a purpose in allowing drug dealers to move money, but I'm not convinced there's a stable future in it.

The very soaring nature of it "$29,000 and just in the foothills" is precisely why it is nothing but one of the most technically elaborate Ponzi schemes ever.
    The volatility of cryptocurrencies has been their biggest weakness by far. A currency should be a store of value and you should be reasonably confident what that value is at any given point. If any of them can achieve that stability they might well give debauched fiat currencies a run for their money but not until then.
    The low transaction capacity of the Bitcoin network pretty much ensures appalling volatility.
  • Options
    Lumme.
    Revolting as he may be, I bet Cummings is handy in a knife fight.
    https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1344671032553181184?s=19
  • Options
    Fishing said:

By the time it was politically possible to do so (late March), it wouldn't have made much difference, as only 0.5% of cases were imported from overseas.
    The "it's too late to do anything about it now" argument.

How's that worked out?

Guernsey (which enforced border control/quarantine on March 18th and has maintained it ever since) has had the UK equivalent of 13,000 deaths.

People have known since the Black Death that disease moves with people.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    The NHS is so desperate to 'get the story out' that it contractually gags all of its employees....

Its desperate to get its own story out.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    eek said:

The Republicans are fatally split between Trump supporters and the old guard. They cannot abide each other.

After that, well, all bets are off. America is wide open to the radical left. Green deals, mass immigration, huge tax hikes, identity politics with a vengeance, lockdowns, reparations,

I suggest bitcoin. Touched 29,000 a little while ago. Still in the foothills. Still at the beginning.

Bitcoin is the biggest Ponzi scheme of all time. I wouldn't put a penny into it.

It is fundamentally worthless. The technology is interesting but this application of it is not.

Bitcoin has a purpose that gold doesn't have - which is that you can use it as a transfer of wealth across national borders with little risk.
    A few years ago a great-nephew decided that academia, in the sense of Uni, wasn't for him and went to work in a bank. No, not in the City . Oop North. There one of his colleagues persuaded him to invest in Bitcoin which must have been low or low-is at the time. He appears to have got in and out at the right times because he was able to buy a couple of houses; not remarkable, in need of some work, but within his and his father's capabilities. He now lives in one, and the other one is let.However both a now, apparently neat and tidy, and all paid for.
    Makes you wonder.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Re Bitcoin, as the only man on here to have bought it at $3, and as I still hang on to well... half a bitcoin... it is worth remembering that it has one massive flaw:

The way it is architected allows it to only process about 5 to 7 transactions a second.

It typically takes 15 to 30 minutes to get confirmation of a transaction having been completed, during which the sender could (in theory) walk back the transaction.

Together, these don't matter, if everyone is just buying it and sitting on it, but it doesn't really allow for it to be used for regular purchases, or indeed to replace "fiat" money or payment networks like Western Union, PayPal or Visa.

I get the occasional twinge - I was doing GOPU research back in the day. Had the most powerful GPU yet made on early release from NVIDIA. Fired up BitCoin mining for a laugh. Left it running - by accident - at work over the weekend. This was when mining on a single machine was spewing bitcoins....

Deleted all the data on Monday and did some real work.
    I ordered a Butterfly Labs bitcoin miner on-line, the very first produced.

It was shipped to me in the UK, but by a twist of fate Fedex lost it for six weeks. In that period Bitcoin mining difficulty increased more than four times.

I then sold it on eBay to someone.

They used it to generate Bitcoin for two months. Then they claimed it didn't work, and returned it. I made a complain to eBay, but they weren't interested. That person basically stole £2,000 from me.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

Lumme.

Ready to testify? Is there a court case?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

It's a USB stick that you can load coin onto, and give it to someone, who can give it to someone else.

That still doesn't really solve any of the fundamental problems with Bitcoin.
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    Both Bitcoin and Gold have become religous cults for their followers.There are pros and cons with both.In terms of risk reward Platinum and Silver are much better precious metal trades than Gold.
    In terms of currencies opposing the US dollar may not have the potential upside of Bitcoin but there is far less downside.I am shorting the $ against the Yen,Canadian Dollar,New Zealand Dollar & Swiss Franc via spreadbetting.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2020

Scott_xP said:
    Whistleblower or media tart?

twitter.com/JujuliaGrace/status/1344655733187612672?s=20
    twitter.com/JujuliaGrace/status/1344661661051969536?s=20
    Seems like a definite media tart.

twitter.com/JujuliaGrace/status/1344262970851917826?s=19

Smells like bovine manure.
    She is Chief Executive of EveryDoctorUK. She spends her time campaigning against the government.

Dr Julia Patterson of campaign group EveryDoctor tells why she quit health service ‘cut back to its very bones

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/29/doctors-quit-nhs-austerity-stress-staff-shortages
  • Options

Fishing said:

By the time it was politically possible to do so (late March), it wouldn't have made much difference, as only 0.5% of cases were imported from overseas.

How's that worked out?

Guernsey (which enforced border control/quarantine on March 18th and has maintained it ever since) has had the UK equivalent of 13,000 deaths.

My sister is in hospital in Guernsey. Been moved from one on the mainland. And she's been quarantined, although it's now finished. However, they have no other bed for her, so she's got to stay in the isolation room.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Lumme.

What is this "ready to testify" nonsense? I am happy to believe the story that the advice was given and (wrongly) rejected, but that's what happens: advisers advise, other advisers advise different, those they advise decide. What does testimony on oath add to the claim, other than reminding the reader that they wouldn't believe good ol' eye test Dom if he swore on the Bible and on his children's heads that the sun rose in the East?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,521
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I get the occasional twinge - I was doing GOPU research back in the day. Had the most powerful GPU yet made on early release from NVIDIA. Fired up BitCoin mining for a laugh. Left it running - by accident - at work over the weekend. This was when mining on a single machine was spewing bitcoins....

It was shipped to me in the UK, but by a twist of fate Fedex lost it for six weeks. In that period Bitcoin mining difficulty increased more than four times.

They used it to generate Bitcoin for two months. Then they claimed it didn't work, and returned it. I made a complain to eBay, but they weren't interested. That person basically stole £2,000 from me.
    The whole BitCoin mining thing reminded me of the stories of various gold rushes. The people who made the money sold spades, picks and other supplies.... the miners themselves often ended up poorer
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Lumme.

Ready to testify? Is there a court case?
    Not yet.
    Actually, I'd have thought a select committee is more likely.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited December 2020

Scott_xP said:

She is Chief Executive of EveryDoctorUK. She spends her time campaigning against the government.

Dr Julia Patterson of campaign group EveryDoctor tells why she quit health service ‘cut back to its very bones

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/sep/29/doctors-quit-nhs-austerity-stress-staff-shortages
    Florece Nightingale / Mary Seacole she is not.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm sceptical the fundamental problems can be solved.

The technology itself could be useful in other areas but a currency it is not.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:

I am not saying her tweet isn't true, but she has an agenda and she has been pushing it for years e.g. At the start of the year she was making wild claims about how Hancock was on a mission to destroy NHS GPs.
  • Options

Fishing said:

How's that worked out?

My sister is in hospital in Guernsey. Been moved from one on the mainland. And she's been quarantined, although it's now finished. However, they have no other bed for her, so she's got to stay in the isolation room.
    Sorry to hear that (though I suspect the PEH is a better option than Southampton Gen!). There was one COVID patient in hospital but they no longer appear to be - either having been discharged, or recovered. When asked about the patient at the news conference the CMO refused absolutely to comment.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

Half a million fewer tests done in Germany last week compared to the week before, a fall of about a third.

Given the holidays, so?
    So:
    1. I believe there was not such a big drop off in the uk
    2. There are a lot of extra people celebrating New Year unaware that they have coronavirus, or have been in contact with someone with coronavirus.
    From what we already know about isolation post testing this would happen either way. In all of Europe the testing system is little more than expensive monitoring of virus trends.
    Which makes it slightly unfortunate that our entire education strategy to reopen schools is based on the least accurate form of it.
    My daughter teaches in a sixth form college. She's been pretty sanguine about everything since March - but over the last few days she's been more and more stressed about going back to work. The virus is rampant in the area, and loads of 16-19s have tested positive (and loads more will have it without knowing it of course). I understand her stress - the risks seems pretty high. Is this worry common now among teachers?

PS: Williamson is a complete arse and the whole thing about schools is a monstrous debacle, of course.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The whole BitCoin mining thing reminded me of the stories of various gold rushes. The people who made the money sold spades, picks and other supplies.... the miners themselves often ended up poorer
    Or ran 'hotels' for one night (or shorter) stays as Donald Trumps grandfather apparently did.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

If you're worried about

eek said:

Considering its advocates rage against fiat currency, fiat currency is far more stable, secure and predicable in value. Bitcoin may serve a purpose in allowing drug dealers to move money, but I'm not convinced there's a stable future in it.

The very soaring nature of it "$29,000 and just in the foothills" is precisely why it is nothing but one of the most technically elaborate Ponzi schemes ever.
    When a big investment firm recently made a bitcoin investment, they did so, they said on the basis it was a hedge against the devaluation of the world's major currencies.

And that's all it is really, a hedge, and the only way I would suggest anybody takes a look at it, as one among a wide range of investments.

Now why would the world's major currencies devalue? well, they have been printing money like its going out of fashion and will continue to do so, and the rates offered for some investments in theses currencies are zero or in some cases negative.

You should look up Tether if you want to talk about printing money.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

felix said:

Scott_xP said:

I am not saying her tweet isn't true, but she has an agenda and she has been pushing it for years. At the start of the year she was making wild claims about how Hancock was going to destroy GPs.
    Too bad she wasn’t right.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

My guess is that the Republicans win both. But then you already know that.

That is my guess too. That being said, I do wonder if Georgia is about to become a Purple state.
    I think Georgia will be purple only quite briefly. It is following the Virginia pattern - fast growing, highly educated and increasingly diverse Atlanta metropolitan area that will quite quickly come to dominate more traditional small towns and rural areas. In Virginia, Bill Clinton fell short while winning two pretty convincing landslides, while Hillary lost while winning the state comfortably.

My guess is that perhaps by 2028 and certainly 2032 Georgia won't even be viewed as a battleground in a close election given forecasted growth in Atlanta over the next couple of decades.

Of course, these things go in both directions. Missouri was the definitive purple state for a while but isn't part of any Democrat's realistic path to 270 now - it'd only go blue in a big landslide election.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited December 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

What is this "ready to testify" nonsense? I am happy to believe the story that the advice was given and (wrongly) rejected, but that's what happens: advisers advise, other advisers advise different, those they advise decide. What does testimony on oath add to the claim, other than reminding the reader that they wouldn't believe good ol' eye test Dom if he swore on the Bible and on his children's heads that the sun rose in the East?
    Testifying to the Health Select Committee, chairman one Jeremy Hunt.

I think the nation will be more mightily confused to hear that Cummings was and is pro lockdown.

The spin that maybe that Johnson prioritised the economy over the health of the nation, because he couldn't lose two Chancellors in a year.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The appeal is surely that Bitcoin is finite and more difficult for authorities to keep tabs on than fiat.

Investors are doing the maths. The great money printing adventure can only last so long.

Even the most conservative Western governments will be coming for middle class money soon. Big Time. What else can they do?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

I think testifying to the Health Select Committee, chairman one Jeremy Hunt.

I think the nation will be more mightily confused to hear that Cummings was and is pro lockdown.
    Luke 15:7 refers: I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
  • Options

Fishing said:

How's that worked out?

Sorry to hear that (though I suspect the PEH is a better option than Southampton Gen!). There was one COVID patient in hospital but they no longer appear to be - either having been discharged, or recovered. When asked about the patient at the news conference the CMO refused absolutely to comment.
    She started in Salisbury for plastic surgery. Her daughter, who was her only allowed visitor wasn't overly impressed, so while my sister has few visitors in PEH it seems better for her. Visiting is difficult because her home is on Alderney, so anyone who might visit has to fly over.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562
    algarkirk said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/31/the-left-brexit-economic-uk

Wrong. The author, Larry Elliott, has been pro-Brexit since the start and has written similar for years in The Guardian.
  • Options
    Who wouldn't want, in the middle of a massive health crisis stretching the medical system to it's limits, a number of untrained clowns wandering around the wards demanding to know "How do you feel?"
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited December 2020

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

Half a million fewer tests done in Germany last week compared to the week before, a fall of about a third.

Given the holidays, so?
    So:
    2. There are a lot of extra people celebrating New Year unaware that they have coronavirus, or have been in contact with someone with coronavirus.
    From what we already know about isolation post testing this would happen either way. In all of Europe the testing system is little more than expensive monitoring of virus trends.
    Which makes it slightly unfortunate that our entire education strategy to reopen schools is based on the least accurate form of it.
    My daughter teaches in a sixth form college. She's been pretty sanguine about everything since March - but over the last few days she's been more and more stressed about going back to work. The virus is rampant in the area, and loads of 16-19s have tested positive (and loads more will have it without knowing it of course). I understand her stress - the risks seems pretty high. Is this worry common now among teachers?

PS: Williamson is a complete arse and the whole thing about schools is a monstrous debacle, of course.
    I wouldn’t know. But they were all fuming at what happened before Christmas and they are likely to be incandescent now. A potentially more interesting question is how many children will not want to go back. Most of them don’t like school at the best of times, which this is not.

One thing the DfE has not thought through is that it does sort of rely on teachers to function. After their role in acting as superspreaders, for example, it is a safe bet that in future no teacher will talk to or in any way cooperate with OFSTED, meaning they will be unable to conduct proper inspections. Similarly, no initiative from the DfE will be implemented short of court orders. Possibly not even then. Rendering them more than slightly redundant.

I must take issue though with your description of Williamson. If he were a complete arse, he would have a brain. Not having that, he is definitely an incomplete arse.
  • Options
    Nearly 56k new cases today...caveat etc etc etc.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

God. Was I wrong after all? Surely if the Guardian thinks it might have been a good idea after all....
    Larry Elliot has always been a Lexiteer iirc.

Yes. And he has continued to publish pro-Brexit pieces throughout.

There are a hardcore of Brexity trolls on here though that seem keen to make a wider point.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

Luke 15:7 refers: I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
    I wonder if Dom will go all Luke 22: 59-62.

About an hour later another asserted, "Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean." Peter replied, "Man, I don't know what you're talking about!" Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly.
  • Options

Who wouldn't want, in the middle of a massive health crisis stretching the medical system to it's limits, a number of untrained clowns wandering around the wards demanding to know "How do you feel?"
    I've often wondered how one became a 'medical correspondent'.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

The spin that maybe that Johnson prioritised the economy over the health of the nation, because he couldn't lose two Chancellors in a year.
    Why would he be called to testify? After he misled the last SC he spoke to nobody would believe him so it wouldn’t be worth the effort.
  • Options

It’s if you needle too many people.
  • Options
    Just remember Dominic Cummings never was Boris Johnson's man, he is and always has been Michael Gove's consigliere.
  • Options

I presume you need to demonstrate

- You are suitably high in the media hierarchy
    - You lack any knowledge of medicine
    - You display a suitable inability to learn about medicine
    - You can appear to be really caring on camera
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

Given the holidays, so?
    So:

I wouldn’t know. But they were all fuming at what happened before Christmas and they are likely to be incandescent now. A potentially more interesting question is how many children will not want to go back. Most of them don’t like school at the best of times, which this is not.

One thing the DfE has not thought through is that it does sort of rely on teachers to function. After their role in acting as superspreaders, for example, it is a safe bet that in future no teacher will talk to or in any way cooperate with OFSTED, meaning they will be unable to conduct proper inspections. Similarly, no initiative from the DfE will be implemented short of court orders. Possibly not even then. Rendering them more than slightly redundant.

I must take issue though with your description of Williamson. If he were a complete arse, he would have a brain. Not having that, he is definitely an incomplete arse.
    In mid March, Ofsted visited the school mine went to. One of them told me "The Infector came into my class."

Oh, how we laughed...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

My GG grandfather did quite well out of the Australian gold rush. He was a Presbyterian minister on Sundays, and banker during the week. Many of the miners were Scots, and as minister he was considered trustworthy (correctly). He wrote a book about it which is quite ofter cited in histories of colonial Australia.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,593
    edited December 2020

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

About an hour later another asserted, "Certainly this fellow was with him, for he is a Galilean." Peter replied, "Man, I don't know what you're talking about!" Just as he was speaking, the rooster crowed. The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly.
    I have a feeling that Boris already knows, even perhaps from introspection, that if you want a faithful friend in politics you get a dog.

BTW you need to get to the end of the story to get to the heart of Peter. Dominic Cummings is no Peter.

• Options

Just remember Dominic Cummings never was Boris Johnson's man, he is and always has been Michael Gove's consigliere.

https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1344681089005195265

Is that the same lockdown in march he went on to break, or a different one?
  • Options

LOL!!! Not cynical are you? Not even the tiniest little bit!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

kamski said:

IanB2 said:

kamski said:

Given the holidays, so?
    So:

In mid March, Ofsted visited the school mine went to. One of them told me "The Infector came into my class."

Oh, how we laughed...
    Positively prescient, given their recent performance.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

If you're worried about

eek said:

When a big investment firm recently made a bitcoin investment, they did so, they said on the basis it was a hedge against the devaluation of the world's major currencies.

And that's all it is really, a hedge, and the only way I would suggest anybody takes a look at it, as one among a wide range of investments.

Now why would the world's major currencies devalue? well, they have been printing money like its going out of fashion and will continue to do so, and the rates offered for some investments in theses currencies are zero or in some cases negative.

You should look up Tether if you want to talk about printing money.
    Think I want to invest in this stuff? Absolutely not. I am thinking about the amount of debt the government is racking up, how hopelessly adrift of any fiscal responsibility it is, how far it is from ever making ends meet in the foreseeable future, vaccine or no vaccine.

Who is left to pay? the 54 new billionaires COVID has made? do me a favour. Middle class people with something but not a great deal, that's who. There's nobody else.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

Why would he be called to testify? After he misled the last SC he spoke to nobody would believe him so it wouldn’t be worth the effort.
    This is Cummings attempt to get revenge for being sacked?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Awful.

We seem on track to lose another 50, 60k lives this year.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

I see all that, I was just objecting to Peston's cackhandedness in emphasizing the "on oath" point.

I don't think there is much in the loss of two chancellors point. Rishi is an ambitious little toad of flexible principles (or he wouldn't have taken the gig in the first place) with the example before him of Sajid who? to remind him how very little ice a resigned-on-principle former CotE cuts.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

How many times? He did not break lockdown. He broke quarantine.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

As a connoisseur of hypocrisy, if Cummings does testify against Boris et (in whatever venue), the re-invention by the Guardian et al of Cummings as a Sword Of Truth will be magnificent.

Remember what happened to Julian Assange - Hero for publishing US intelligence data that embarrassed George Bush, villain for publishing data that embarrassed Hillary Clinton.
  • Options

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

God. Was I wrong after all? Surely if the Guardian thinks it might have been a good idea after all....
    Larry Elliot has always been a Lexiteer iirc.

Yes. And he has continued to publish pro-Brexit pieces throughout.

There are a hardcore of Brexity trolls on here though that seem keen to make a wider point.
    Indeed. There also seems to be a misunderstanding that newspapers only ever publish opinion pieces with which the editor and/or owner agrees.

• Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943

If you're worried about

eek said:

Shock news as Investment Fund talks own book!

Anyone considering a serious investment in Bitcoin should take a long hard look at Tether first. The company controlling Tether has about two weeks before they finally get hauled up in court in NY. I personally suspect things may get a little “interesting” for the world of cryptocurrency afterwards, but I could be wrong: dyor.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

Or new manoeuvres from Gove?
    Gove might feel that if he can discredit Boris, he is better placed in the battle against SINDY.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Scott_xP said:
    Awful.

Quite easily. We are in a race between the virus and vaccination, and as bad as things will be here they will almost certainly be much worse in many other countries.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

I have a feeling that Boris already knows, even perhaps from introspection, that if you want a faithful friend in politics you get a dog.

BTW you need to get to the end of the story to get to the heart of Peter. Dominic Cummings is no Peter.

Well there's a lot of people who would like to see Dom receive the same end as Saint Peter.

I do remember one former SPAD telling me there was a reason Cummings and Gove got on so well, 'It is because neither of them has an enemy in the world, even their friends think they are c*nts.'
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Awful.

This year? You in NZ?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    One of the City's most prominent hedge fund managers is preparing to invest millions of pounds in GB News, the fledgling current affairs broadcasting company which is targeting a launch into British homes next year.

Sky News has learnt that Sir Paul Marshall, the co-founder of Marshall Wace, is in advanced talks about injecting approximately £10m into GB News.

https://news.sky.com/story/city-tycoon-marshall-tunes-into-60m-gb-news-fundraising-12176428

I really don't see this. The likes of Sky News gets tiny audiences. There is already the BBC, who have the size to smash most competition and a range of smaller competition from Sky, to Talk Radio, to Times Radio to LBC, and big bad Uncle Rupert is launching News UK.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Did people die of Dr Shipman or from Dr Shipman?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

FPT:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Apparently, there are only 3 pubs open in England today, all on the Scilly Isles.

Pubs have been closed on a few hours notice thus losing any stock they had bought in for NY because the government could not be arsed to announce the change before the last day for making orders, something which would have been obvious to anyone with a calendar and the wit to ring somebody up in this business. So clearly well beyond the grasp of this government.

They cannot claim on insurance and pubs in England get far less help than those in Wales and Scotland. Even the grants announced back in November have still to be paid out. The government seems to expect everyone working in this sector to live permanently on 80% of their previous wages. The grants which have been announced don't go remotely near covering fixed costs. Basically every closed pub and hotel and restaurant and other hospitality venue is now loss-making.

Whether they will ever reopen again depends on whether (a) they have any savings to use and (b) they whether they think it worth using up their savings. The latter depends trusting the government to manage the vaccination programme effectively so that venues can reopen by Easter latest.

Effectiveness is not the word one first associates with this government, however.
    I thought if you when I saw Cumbria was going from tier 2 to tier 4. Not good, and as you say, awful timing.

FWIW, I think the vaccination program will be fine despite the government. As Nick pointed out earlier, the long established infrastructure of the NHS is very well organised to deliver vaccinations and would make it hard for any government to truly fuck up.
    Easter is tight, but I think it should happen.
    What worries me is the difference between promises of 4 million doses and Hancock admitting that they have only actually received half a million.

NHS infrastructure may be fine but if the doses don't actually arrive on time and/or in the quantities needed, what use is the infrastructure.

I hope to be proved wrong.
    Be careful mixing up numbers. The MHRA only just issued authorisation.

Half a million are approved and ready to use next week.

About 4 million have already been bottled up but they need authorisation.

About 15 million doses have already been produced and need bottling up and authorising.
    That sounds more positive.

Source?
    Source would be interesting

Just to be clear, the MHRA doesn’t get involved from hereonin

I assume when you say 4m are bottled and need authorisation you are referring to QA/QC release? Entirely within the manufacturers control assuming the products are in spec
  • Options

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lumme.

Gove might feel that if he can discredit Boris, he is better placed in the battle against SINDY.
    Isn't that a secondary effect of becoming PM?
  • Options

LOL!!! Not cynical are you? Not even the tiniest little bit!
    Haven'y you observed the pecking order in the media?

Expert journalists exist - but are pushed out of the way for the celebrity talking heads. I(t's the old British obsession with generalists vs specialists. A journalist with a medical degree/medical experience would be considered a bit... not odd, but not "proper" to represent a big outlet at a major press conference.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

The Police cleared him of that. Hence all the complaints about Barnard Castle, which was a lockdown issue.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    Phil said:

If you're worried about

eek said:

Anyone considering a serious investment in Bitcoin should take a long hard look at Tether first. The company controlling Tether has about two weeks before they finally get hauled up in court in NY. I personally suspect things may get a little “interesting” for the world of cryptocurrency afterwards, but I could be wrong: dyor.
    Hang on:

Tether was a fraud based around the idea that it was a cryptocurrency tied to the USD. When, in fact, it involved people stealing the money. (If they'd been smart, they would have invested the money, and taken the profits.)

Bitcoin's value comes from its inherent scarcity. There cannot be more than 21 million bitcoin. Of course, this leads some people to (stupidly) think that the price can only go up.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Charles said:

FPT:

Be careful mixing up numbers. The MHRA only just issued authorisation.

Half a million are approved and ready to use next week.

About 4 million have already been bottled up but they need authorisation.

About 15 million doses have already been produced and need bottling up and authorising.

That sounds more positive.

Source?
    Source would be interesting

Just to be clear, the MHRA doesn’t get involved from hereonin

I assume when you say 4m are bottled and need authorisation you are referring to QA/QC release? Entirely within the manufacturers control assuming the products are in spec
    I posted this a few threads ago, already lost to the mists of time.

A spokesman for the Department of Health and Social Care confirmed that AstraZeneca "have bottled four million doses but have not gone through the safety checks for all the batches", adding: "The nuance is they do have four million ready to go, but without knowing the exact conditions the MHRA have set I don't think it is feasible to check four million doses in one go."

Mr Johnson promised that "tens of millions" of doses would be available by the end of March, and The Telegraph understands that AstraZeneca already has 15 million doses waiting to be put into vials as soon as required. That could be done in a matter of days at specialist factories in the UK and Europe.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/12/30/britain-races-roll-covid-vaccines-bid-avoid-third-lockdown/

• Options

And a story that undermines both the PM and his heir (all too) apparent helps who, exactly?
  • Options

Gove defenestrating BoZo, "more in sorrow than in anger", would be an entertaining start to the year
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen data and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    UK Local R

• Options
    UK case summary

Today

Yesterday

• Options
    I know quite a few front line workers not wanting the vaccine, mostly because they have had confirmed Covid-19, so have antibodies. It doesn't mean they are nutters.
  • Options

One of the City's most prominent hedge fund managers is preparing to invest millions of pounds in GB News, the fledgling current affairs broadcasting company which is targeting a launch into British homes next year.

Sky News has learnt that Sir Paul Marshall, the co-founder of Marshall Wace, is in advanced talks about injecting approximately £10m into GB News.

https://news.sky.com/story/city-tycoon-marshall-tunes-into-60m-gb-news-fundraising-12176428

I really don't see this. The likes of Sky News gets tiny audiences. There is already the BBC, who have the size to smash most competition and a range of smaller competition from Sky, to Talk Radio, to Times Radio to LBC, and big bad Uncle Rupert is launching News UK.

They may aim to build up an audience by being very partisan, like Fox News or OANN in America. It will be harder with the UK's current broadcasting regulations, but possible.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    edited December 2020
    felix said:

algarkirk said:

So funny to think of the Guardian seeing sense before so many of the lemons on here.
    Larry Elliott was always a Brexiteer. Wrong then, wrong now.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/26/brexit-is-the-rejection-of-globalisation
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm sceptical the fundamental problems can be solved.

The technology itself could be useful in other areas but a currency it is not.
    Lightning is a very interesting attempt to graft scalability onto Bitcoin. Before I set up my auto insurer, I considered getting into that space. The issue was that - to make it work - you'd need to work with some seriously scummy people. And I quite like living and not going to jail.
  • Options
    UK positivity

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Gove defenestrating BoZo, "more in sorrow than in anger", would be an entertaining start to the year
    Yet IIRC from a poll and discussion here a few weeks back almost the only person more unpopular in Scotland than Mr Johnson is Mr Gove. Except with the fisherfolk, possibly - but now they want to go back to the CFP.
  • Options

One of the City's most prominent hedge fund managers is preparing to invest millions of pounds in GB News, the fledgling current broadcasting company which is targeting a launch into British homes next year.

I’m not quite sure how the economics work either, but perhaps the channel itself is merely a loss-making way to produce covidiot and brexity culture war fodder for more profitable use elsewhere.
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    UK deaths

Today

Yesterday

• Options
    edited December 2020

They may aim to build up an audience by being very partisan, like Fox News or OANN in America. It will be harder with the UK's current broadcasting regulations, but possible.
    Is there any evidence that there is a massive market for this? Talk Radio and LBC are very partisan already.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    This would be the same ministers who have told us for five years that this is all Project Fear rubbish?
  • Options
    UK R

From case data

From hospitalisation data

• Options
    Former Manchester United and Scotland manager Tommy Docherty has died at the age of 92 following a long illness.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

The Police cleared him of that. Hence all the complaints about Barnard Castle, which was a lockdown issue.
    Am I therefore mistaken in thinking he did not go into work when his wife had Covid symptoms, and he did not drive to Durham while displaying them himself?

Because if so, he made an error in his statement.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dominic-cummings-statement-speech-transcript-durham-full-text-read-lockdown-a9531856.html
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The appeal is surely that Bitcoin is finite and more difficult for authorities to keep tabs on than fiat.

Investors are doing the maths. The great money printing adventure can only last so long.

Even the most conservative Western governments will be coming for middle class money soon. Big Time. What else can they do?
    I tend to agree that governments are going to lean ever more on the magic money printing machine.

And at some point, that will inevitably lead to inflation.

But I couldn't tell you if that happens in 2021 or 2051.

Remember that Japan has been furiously printing money for about two decades now, and the BOJ now owns debt equivalent to well over 100% of Japanese GDP, and that hasn't resulted in a single drop of inflation.
  • Options

Is there any evidence that there is a massive market for this? Talk Radio and LBC are very partisan already.
    But they have mixed voices, partly due to the UK's broadcasting regulations. They're not like Fox, so the key would be whether the government wants to change those regulations, as some have assumed.
  • Options
    UK age data

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Yet IIRC from a poll and discussion here a few weeks back almost the only person more unpopular in Scotland than Mr Johnson is Mr Gove. Except with the fisherfolk, possibly - but now they want to go back to the CFP.

Perhaps

But now that Brexit is "done", the discussion will move onto why the sunlit uplands look more like a waterlogged lorry park in Kent...

Since Brexit itself can never be the problem, the fault must surely lie with the implementer of it.

Gove can repeat the speech he gave that torpedoed BoZo the first time round
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    rcs1000 said:

Phil said:

If you're worried about

eek said:

Hang on:

Tether was a fraud based around the idea that it was a cryptocurrency tied to the USD. When, in fact, it involved people stealing the money. (If they'd been smart, they would have invested the money, and taken the profits.)

Bitcoin's value comes from its inherent scarcity. There cannot be more than 21 million bitcoin. Of course, this leads some people to (stupidly) think that the price can only go up.
    1) Bitcoin supply is inflationary for the natural lifetime of anyone buying it today, even if miners don’t collude to change the protocol, which given that mining is concentrated into the hands of a single digit number of entities (possibly fewer, it’s hard to know for sure), they’re at liberty to do any time they like.

2) Tether is /the/ stablecoin for the majority of crypto-currency exchanges. The BTC/Tether pair is the most heavily traded pair IIRC.

3) Tether has been printing like crazy the last few months. Sure, that might be real $ inflows. /Or/ it might be rampant printing from an outfit that knows the SEC has it in it’s sights & is looking to print, buy BTC and sell out as much as possible before the shoe finally drops.

Re 3: From the outside, it’s impossible to tell. If you’re buying into BTC right now, you’re making a bet that you’re not being used as a bag-holder by Tether insiders. Do you feel lucky?
  • Options

And a story that undermines both the PM and his heir (all too) apparent helps who, exactly?
    I'm shocked to say Michael Gove benefits.

I have heard anecdotally that Gove has doubts that Boris Johnson is the man to keep the Union together.

Gove to save (sic) the Union.

Shows the Scots the Tories love the Union, look we've elected a Scot to be our leader/PM.
This discussion has been closed.