Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The annual StJohn PB Christmas Crossword (est 2007) – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    9 across. General. Yes.

Awfully is the anagram indicator.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,563

felix said:

You'd need to look at the details of the Turing scheme but if it is a more-or-less like-for-like replacement then Boris has lured his opponents down a rabbit hole despite the apparent contradiction of his earlier assurances.
    'You'd need to look at the details' will be the epitaph of the BJ premiership.
    Along with 'you two faced son of a bitch' of course.
    Listening to him last night it isn't equivalent. Our students go, but no-one comes.
    As someone whose family benefited, and who acted as a host, I think UK's withdrawal is dreadful.
    That is a stupid mistake. We benefit from the brightest foreigners coming here in a sort-of reverse brain drain.
    It isn't just the brightest we want; it's the 'ordinary' getting experience of similar but different cultures and ways of life, and enjoying the experience. Making us realise that whatever language we speak, whatever our skin colour, we're all humans.
    Then having a scheme open to the world may represent an improvement. It was the EU who chose to triple the price of Erasmus.
    I refer to my earlier comment. According to Johnson last night the Turing scheme is one way only.
    Most importantly, it's global, not just European. I always thought the Erasmus scheme, confined to just Europe, was very narrow-minded. And the EU tripled the price for it. I'm glad we told them where to stick it.
  • Options
    21d NEOCONS
  • Options

9A GENERAL near anag with gel (stick) around

I nearly got that but could not see how GEL related to stick. So today I have learned gel sticks are a thing, for which education, many thanks.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 604
    16 across Demogogy Dem =party agag = exited y = end of party
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Merry Christmas all!

Turkey is defrosted nicely, presents shortly being opened, ovens being preheated for a long day of use.

It feels like Christmas!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    tlg86 said:

I see Germany recorded 554 deaths yesterday, which is down from the 724 recorded last Thursday. Perhaps they've turned the corner (or rather, turned the corner three weeks ago), but I suspect it's the start of Christmas reporting. We (i.e. everyone in the Western World) could be about to get some lower numbers, followed by some hideously high numbers.

Scotland is koncokong off reporting until the 29th, Sweden stopped reporting 2 days ago and won't report again until the 29th.

Replicared across the world. Just what you need when a mutant highly infectious strain is about.

I expect to see Covid Deniers posting 7 day moving average charts and "Trending strongly downwards" over the next few days.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    MaxPB said:

Merry Christmas all!

Turkey is defrosted nicely, presents shortly being opened, ovens being preheated for a long day of use.

It feels like Christmas!

Bright and cheery down here too - Happy Christmas all!
  • Options
    21D - NEOCONS once anag + ons=data providers
  • Options
    16 across. Demagogy. Yes.

Party = Dem(ocrat). Excited = agog. End of rally = Y. Dem + agog before y = Demagogy. Rabble-rousing = Demagogy.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

What a Christmas present!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news

I didn’t know you were such a fan of the BBC, but I agree it is a gift to the nation. :smile:
    State Propaganda unit and we have to pay for the privilege of the indoctrination
  • Options
    Merry Christmas everyone, impressed by the crossworders and especially St John. I struggle with the Sun's quick crossword.....
  • Options
    21 down. Neocons. Yes.

Revolted is the anagram indicator.
  • Options

I nearly got that but could not see how GEL related to stick. So today I have learned gel sticks are a thing, for which education, many thanks.
    I would have thought of sticks of gelignite
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,154
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    4 down Gallup = call up with new leader?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    I think 22 should be Backstopagoppotus, but it's too many letters.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS PB! Wishing you all every success and happiness in 2021.

Have you seen this version of Slade's 'Merry Christmas Everybody' but with all the lyrics changed to 'Are you hanging up your stocking on your wall'? It's oddly hilarious:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-k4yjCo8JWs

• Options
    4 down. Gallup. Yes.

To telephone is to call up. Call up with a new leading letter is Gall up. Gallup is a poll by the polling company Gallup.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Happy Christmas everybody...

Just flicking through the reporting of Brexit deal, seems nobody can write an article without using phrase "thin deal"...I have no idea what that actually means. I suspect it is like hard Brexit, a vacuous term with an ever changing meaning.

No one who writes it knows either

But they think their peers do

So they need to include the phrase so that they are perceived as being “in the know”
  • Options
    Was just looking at synonyms of massacre (which hasn't helped) and saw "kennet (Australian, slang),jeff (Australian, slang)". Didn't know that..
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,606
    Alistair said:

tlg86 said:

I see Germany recorded 554 deaths yesterday, which is down from the 724 recorded last Thursday. Perhaps they've turned the corner (or rather, turned the corner three weeks ago), but I suspect it's the start of Christmas reporting. We (i.e. everyone in the Western World) could be about to get some lower numbers, followed by some hideously high numbers.

Scotland is koncokong off reporting until the 29th, Sweden stopped reporting 2 days ago and won't report again until the 29th.

Replicared across the world. Just what you need when a mutant highly infectious strain is about.

I expect to see Covid Deniers posting 7 day moving average charts and "Trending strongly downwards" over the next few days.
    England is still updating data normally, so will stick out like a sore thumb.

A Merry Christmas to one and all.
  • Options

You'd need to look at the details of the Turing scheme but if it is a more-or-less like-for-like replacement then Boris has lured his opponents down a rabbit hole despite the apparent contradiction of his earlier assurances.
    Listening to him last night it isn't equivalent. Our students go, but no-one comes.
    As someone whose family benefited, and who acted as a host, I think UK's withdrawal is dreadful.
    That is a stupid mistake. We benefit from the brightest foreigners coming here in a sort-of reverse brain drain.
    It isn't just the brightest we want; it's the 'ordinary' getting experience of similar but different cultures and ways of life, and enjoying the experience. Making us realise that whatever language we speak, whatever our skin colour, we're all humans.
    Great plan. Let’s expand it to non whites then. Like Chevening or Fulbright or Marshall were from the beginning. It’s on Erasmus that favours white people.
  • Options

Was just looking at synonyms of massacre (which hasn't helped) and saw "kennet (Australian, slang),jeff (Australian, slang)". Didn't know that..

Kennett -
    ruin or destroy in a heartless and unfair way; f**k over (named after Jeff Kennett, premier of Victoria 1992-99)
    https://australian_slang.enacademic.com/4634/Kennett

• Options

I thought gel was a synonym for stick but now I don't think it is. Gel = set, or thicken. Gel is a type of stick but does not mean stick. I think I need a crossword editor!
  • Options

felix said:

Then having a scheme open to the world may represent an improvement. It was the EU who chose to triple the price of Erasmus.
    I refer to my earlier comment. According to Johnson last night the Turing scheme is one way only.
    That’s because these deals are usually bilateral (Chevening is an exception). Each country pays for their own students
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,880

Just flicking through the reporting of Brexit deal, seems nobody can write an article without using phrase "thin deal"...I have no idea what that actually means. I suspect it is like hard Brexit, a vacuous term with an ever changing meaning.

They don't either. 'Tis a media Christmas.

Happy Christmas All.
  • Options
    Is 8 down Trotskyism? Trotsky= red sky = broadcaster trot = run?
  • Options
    8d. Yes. Well almost. It's Trotskyist.

Top = 1st or “Ist”. Broadcaster = Sky. Run = trot. “Ist” supporting Sky after initial,(placed first), “Trot” = Trot+Sky+Ist.
    Red=Trotskyist.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,700
    edited December 2020
    SandraMc said:

Hmm. I got that far but how do you tell the ending? Trotsky-ist or -ism or -ite would all seem to fit. It is like there is a part of the clue missing (or I am just very dim, which is probably more likely).

Edit: Ah, after seeing @stjohn's answer, ist = 1st = initial.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Merry Christmas to everyone.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

SandraMc said:

Hmm. I got that far but how do you tell the ending? Trotsky-ist or -ism or -ite would all seem to fit. It is like there is a part of the clue missing (or I am just very dim, which is probably more likely).

It's Top=1st=Ist. Initial is to indicate that Trot precedes Sky + Ist.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    Charles said:

felix said:

That’s because these deals are usually bilateral (Chevening is an exception). Each country pays for their own students
    International schemes have long existed by exchange. I had a neice on exchange in University of BC until she returned early due to lockdowns.

The best bits of the Deal are merely fragments of what we used to have. It is a strange thing to celebrate, the loss of freedoms.

Something to build on, I suppose and better than a hostile No Deal. I am sure that the EU is glad to be rid of us whingers.

Nice frosty walk with the hound, so let the feasting begin.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

I wish Johnson wouldn’t make the assumption that he has done all this for me, he can get on with it but he’s not doing it on my behalf. He can stick his Christmas present up his .....

Which raises the interesting political question, since the (generally) younger, more educated, more middle class folk are going to remain pissed off by Brexit for longer than the older, less educated, more working class folk stay grateful. Gratitude never gets you far in politics, and whilst holding onto older voters doesn’t appear a particular problem for Conservatives, working age leave voters will surely soon have new grievances and desires.
    I'd say that in the medium term (4-5 years) it will depend quite heavily on what happens for the rest of this Parliament and what results will have been seen to keep the new tactical Tory voters in place. 10 years of one party in Govt, plus 5 before with the same party dominating, is a lot.

Will SKS have cleaned house by then? Does that matter?
  • Options
    stjohn said:

SandraMc said:

It's Top=1st=Ist. Initial is to indicate that Trot preceded Sky + Ist.
    Ha! I can't even getting it right after seeing the answer and the explanation. :blush:
  • Options
    malcolmg22malcolmg22 Posts: 327
    edited December 2020
    Charles said:

So they need to include the phrase so that they are perceived as being “in the know”
    It came from Starmer I think so vacuous is fitting. Empty words from an empty suit.
    PS: He could not say crap deal so invented "thin"
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,270
    Merry Christmas to everyone, except Tory cabinet ministers who are destroying our great country.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a link for a full version of this table?

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1341992652179447808
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,114

Nigelb said:

I didn’t know you were such a fan of the BBC, but I agree it is a gift to the nation. :smile:
    State Propaganda unit and we have to pay for the privilege of the indoctrination
    Happy Christmas, Malcy, and everyone else!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

felix said:

International schemes have long existed by exchange. I had a neice on exchange in University of BC until she returned early due to lockdowns.

The best bits of the Deal are merely fragments of what we used to have. It is a strange thing to celebrate, the loss of freedoms.

Something to build on, I suppose and better than a hostile No Deal. I am sure that the EU is glad to be rid of us whingers.

Way I see it they have swapped £20 for £15 and are trying to make out they made a great deal. When does the NHS start getting that £350 million a week extra?
  • Options
    Is 1 Across Monicagate? Former Labour Minister =Mo caught eating a roll = roll is anagram of c eating a.

Anway, must go and prepare Champers and nibbles now before we open the presents. I hope you all have the best Christmas possible in present circumstances.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Same to you Carnyx, one can only hope the SNP pull their finger out in 2021.
  • Options
    1 across. Monicagate. Yes.

Former Labour minister = Mo (Mowlam). Caught = c (cricket). Roll is an anagram indicator. Roll over the letters. Mo + anagram of c eating a = Monicagate. Scandal = Monicagate.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Leaving a club means that you don’t have access to the arrangements. In this case the associate member fee was ridiculous and the decision was taken that we could replicate the benefits, gain more from a new scheme and at a lower cost.

More generally you don’t value the gains from leaving the EU so just highlight the negatives. A more balanced view says it has pros and cons
  • Options

Charles said:

It came from Starmer I think so vacuous is fitting. Empty words from an empty suit.
    PS: He could not say crap deal so invented "thin"
    Makes a change from Brexit being a “thick” decision
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

It'll be an interesting year, because one huge uncertainty affecting Scottish politics has been resolved and the implications will soon start shaking themselves out.

And I noticed this on the SP Unit -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55442982

Anyway, that's enough politics for today. I've been ordered off the screen and not to work today by Mrs C, so it's hobby time. Have a good meal today. We had a tasty Tweeddale pheasant in red wine with carrots, shallots and celeriac last night - half kept for a curry tonight.

• Options
    If you find the lack of Christmas cheer disturbing, this may be the festive theme for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66M8NwkRmew
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    Morning all :)

Merry Christmas. After a year unlike any other in recent times, I hope we can all enjoy at least a day of peace.

Spoke last evening to Mrs Stodge's family in New Zealand. For all the praise heaped on Jacinda Ardern, the truth is sealing the borders may have reduced Covid but the economic price for them has bene heavy. Many rely on the income generated by global tourism and there aren't enough staycationing Kiwis to make up for the absence of international travel.

This is another dimension to health vs wealth. Attempts to set up travel corridors to Australia have been stopped by renewed Covid outbreaks in Sydney and elsewhere.

NZ has only now obtained the freezers needed to store the vaccine so they won't be starting their vaccination yet. With about 1.5 million over the age of 55, it's nowhere near the numbers of the UK but of course population density is very different.
  • Options

I would have thought of sticks of gelignite
    So would I.

But sticks of gelignite don't stick together :smile: .
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

felix said:

Leaving a club means that you don’t have access to the arrangements. In this case the associate member fee was ridiculous and the decision was taken that we could replicate the benefits, gain more from a new scheme and at a lower cost.

More generally you don’t value the gains from leaving the EU so just highlight the negatives. A more balanced view says it has pros and cons
    Zero benefit to me or my family, just losses.

Nice Christmas bonus from my hospital though as a surprise. They distributed the CEA monies equally this year.
  • Options
    Showing his age.....it hasn't been called Djakarta since 1972.....

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1342233377454305287?s=20
  • Options

"My daughter has gone to study in Indonesia."

"Djakarta?"

"No, she went on an airplane."
  • Options
    Miss Vance, isn't that just a spelling change?

Iraq used to be written as Irak.

Given the Q is just a hard K that probably makes more sense, really...
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

felix said:

All the money we save in not paying membership fees will probably be lost by businesses with customs declarations (and lost GDP)
  • Options

"Djakarta?"

"My aunt is coming to stay with us this Christmas. She lives in Indonesia."

"Juwana?"

"No but no one else will have her".

• Options

"Djakarta?"

"Djakarta?"

Unlike my wife who went to the Caribbean.

'Jamaica?'

'No, she went of her own accord.'

Happy Christmas Everyone!
  • Options
    edited December 2020

"Djakarta?"

"Djakarta?"

'Jamaica?'

Happy Christmas Peter. If you recall, you were the one who first suggested I did a PB Christmas crossword. All those years ago!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    stjohn said:

"Djakarta?"

"Juwana?"

“She had to get a connecting flight.”

“Dubai?”

“No, she paid for her own tickets.”
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

It'll be an interesting year, because one huge uncertainty affecting Scottish politics has been resolved and the implications will soon start shaking themselves out.

Anyway, that's enough politics for today. I've been ordered off the screen and not to work today by Mrs C, so it's hobby time. Have a good meal today. We had a tasty Tweeddale pheasant in red wine with carrots, shallots and celeriac last night - half kept for a curry tonight.

"it is the biggest imposition of red tape in 50 years".

Yes but it's UK made red tape, so it's ok, or something
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    stjohn said:

Former Labour minister = Mo (Mowlam). Caught = c (cricket). Roll is an anagram indicator. Roll over the letters. Mo + anagram of c eating a = Monicagate. Scandal = Monicagate.

I was close - but no cigar....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Merry Christmas comrades! A few thoughts...

I'll leave the crossword to those whose brains work in the right way.

I was treated to the sight of a sparrowhawk perched on the fence at the back of our garden when I got up this morning. I think it was planning for something slightly smaller than turkey for Christmas dinner.

I was reflecting earlier that many more families than normal have lost a loved one in the past year. The first Christmas after a loss can be difficult so I would like to extend my best wishes to everyone in that situation.

As it is the season of good will, I'll say something nice about the Prime Minister. Whether by good luck or good judgement he's got a deal over the line. Well done Mr Johnson.

Normal service will be resumed tomorrow.

Today is the first anniversary of losing my Mum (comedy timing was her thing....) so thanks for the kind thought.

In the same spirit, well done to SKS for rowing in behind the deal, so that the nation can collectively say "thank fuck that is over....." May the word "Brexit" now wither on the vine.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited December 2020
    Am I being too simplistic in my reading, or is the US COVID rescue package that Trump blocked for not being generous enough to ‘ordinary, hard working Americans’ now being blocked in Congress by the GOP after the Dems attempted to amend the bill to increase payments to ‘ordinary, hard working Americans’?

Anyhoo, the new age of bipartisan cooperation seems to be going well.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

"it is the biggest imposition of red tape in 50 years".

Yes but it's UK made red tape, so it's ok, or something
    Like our passports from Poland
  • Options

The trouble with Iraq and Iraqis in general is that another thing I learned at school is now false. The letter Q being always followed by a U has gone the way of Queen Victoria being our longest-reigning monarch. Gavin Williamson might as well close them all down.
  • Options

All of the recent name changes are pretty daft. The Nanjing isn't much closer to the way the word is pronounced by the Chinese than Nanking.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,700
    edited December 2020

All of the recent name changes are pretty daft. The Nanjing isn't much closer to the way the word is pronounced by the Chinese than Nanking.
    I could never hear the difference between Beijing and Peking. I suppose they know what they are doing though.

ETA I can when they are pronounced completely differently here, but not in Chinese.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited December 2020

The trouble with Iraq and Iraqis in general is that another thing I learned at school is now false. The letter Q being always followed by a U has gone the way of Queen Victoria being our longest-reigning monarch. Gavin Williamson might as well close them all down.
    If you were a regular player of Words With Friends (scrabble by any other name) you’d have a few non u Q words in your locker though almost all foreigners admittedly; tranq is the only anglo one I can think of off the top of my head. On the bright side, perhaps Qanon will join the lexicon next year though as a proper noun I guess.
  • Options
    11d BARNARD CASTLE
    thanks @stjohn, loving this on a very quiet Xmas morning.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561

stjohn said:

I was close - but no cigar....
    Havana the go.
  • Options
    11 down. Barnard Castle. Yes.

Left = L. Confused = anagram indicator. “And Trace L bars” anagrammed = Barnard Castle. End of (or final destination point of) controversial (driving/vision) Test = Barnard Castle.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Hello all

It's a nice day outside and altogether the least fed up I've been for a while. Christmas is unusual this year - besides anything else, it'll be the first time I've ever had to attempt Christmas dinner, so fingers crossed for no burnt offerings - but it's good. This being the first of ten full days off work is helpful for one's morale too.

Though it can't last, of course. Next on the seemingly endless conveyor belt of catastrophe: Storm Bella. Arrives tomorrow.

But not today :smile:
  • Options

Merry Christmas comrades! A few thoughts...

I'll leave the crossword to those whose brains work in the right way.

I was treated to the sight of a sparrowhawk perched on the fence at the back of our garden when I got up this morning. I think it was planning for something slightly smaller than turkey for Christmas dinner.

I was reflecting earlier that many more families than normal have lost a loved one in the past year. The first Christmas after a loss can be difficult so I would like to extend my best wishes to everyone in that situation.

As it is the season of good will, I'll say something nice about the Prime Minister. Whether by good luck or good judgement he's got a deal over the line. Well done Mr Johnson.

Normal service will be resumed tomorrow.

Sadly apposite.

https://twitter.com/kreuzberged/status/1342135998759788547?s=21

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,029

Arabic translations don’t count, they frequently screw up rules of English. The main road near me is called “Umm Suqeim St” on the English signs.
  • Options

stjohn said:

"Djakarta?"

"Juwana?"

“Dubai?”

I’m dying to get back to Orkney after lockdown.

Twatt?

What the fuck’s your problem pal etc.
  • Options

I could never hear the difference between Beijing and Peking. I suppose they know what they are doing though.

ETA I can when they are pronounced completely differently here, but not in Chinese.
    The name hasn't changed in Chinese has it?
  • Options

Malaysia and Indonesia adopted common spelling standards for the Malay language IIRC. Djakarta was the Dutch way of spelling it.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

"Djakarta?"

"Djakarta?"

'Jamaica?'

Happy Christmas Peter. If you recall, you were the one who first suggested I did a PB Christmas crossword. All those years ago!
    I also remember that at a PB meeting in London you once gave me the invaluable advice not to get mad at anything anyone posted on the Site. I've been trying to follow it ever since, not always successfully. It remains very good advice though.

Seasons greetings to you and all yours. Please keep going with the crossword. It's a great tradition.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541

Nope. The name became Beijing when the Chinese adopted pinyin to transliterate the language.
  • Options
    If I read the deal notes so far, it reads that the UK can get 100% of its fisheries back in 6.5 years, with no tariff consequences. That can't be right can it? Seems crazy favourable to the UK position.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    edited December 2020
    Midlander said:

If I read the deal notes so far, it reads that the UK can get 100% of its fisheries back in 6.5 years, with no tariff consequences. That can't be right can it? Seems crazy favourable to the UK position.

The EU can apply arbitration approved tariffs to British caught fish if the UK decides to reduce EU quotas. Retaliation seems to be limited to fish which is a great result for the UK.

Edit: it's also why the UK agreed to the 25% return rather than holing the deal trying to get 35%. As soon as the EU dropped cross sector retaliation fishing stopped being an issue for the UK and the deal was clearly going to happen. In every contentious area the UK has always agreed with arbitration led solutions. It's how pretty much all major trade deals operate so I'm glad to see we've got there in the end.
  • Options
    2/3 of the crossword has been solved on the thread.

Clues remaining are

Across 6,13,20,24,27,29

Down 7,17,22,25
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone. Hope you're having a good Christmas.
  • Options
    20 Across Adonis?
    27 Across Anthony?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Friends have got me an "I ♥️ spreadsheets" mug :o
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Merry Christmas all! :smile:

I'll contribute the easy classical one: 20A Adonis
  • Options
    25 Down Ryan?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    TOPPING said:

Nope. The name became Beijing when the Chinese adopted pinyin to transliterate the language.
    Although most other Latin-alphabet languages still use variants of Peking.
  • Options
    20 across. Adonis. Yes.

Double definition. An adonis is a beautiful man or a vision. Lord Adonis is a Labour grandee.

27 across. Anthony. Yes.

MP’s title = “Hon” as in “the honourable member”. The case of T(on)y is its outside letters = Ty. An + Hon in Ty = An T(hon)y. Blair for instance = Anthony.
  • Options
    25 down. Ryan. Yes.

Contested election = ran. Yankee = Y, (phonetic alphabet). Ran crushing or overwhelming Y = R(Y)an. Paul Ryan was Mitt Romney’s Veep (Vice President) nominee in the 2012 US Presidential election.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Sad news about John Edrich - one of the bravest men ever to play cricket for England.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Susan Collins always knew he was a good egg at heart
  • Options
    edited December 2020

stjohn said:

"Djakarta?"

"Juwana?"

“Dubai?”

Twatt?

What's amazing is that the village name [Scandinavian, same root as Thwaite etc in N. Eng. etc.] was used for the nearby Fleet Air Arm airfield in WW2, RNAS Twatt aka HMS Tern (in its 'stone frigate' incarnation). It's not as if they had to use the name of the railway station (there being no railways in Orkney, the odd specialist quarry or naval base equipment-shifting aside). Perhaps there was an innocent Wren delegated with the job of picking the name down in the Admiralty.

Edit: Or a slyly not-so-innocent Wren.

https://www.forgottenairfields.com/airfield-twatt-884.html
    https://www.mesolithic.co.uk/blog/2019/11/06/3813/
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    Wor Lass has just served Christmas dinner...

...to the sheep in the field behind our garden.

Apples and hay.

My turn later.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    On Beijing/Peking. The name has not changed. They are the same two characters as they always were. Literally North Capital. (Nanjing is South Capital).
    However, as in all Chinese, these are pronounced differently in the different languages of China (which are all written the same, but otherwise, effectively unintelligible). Therefore the Cantonese, which is where the most early contact with Europe came from, it was Pucking.
    Equally, much of this contact was with Romance language speakers. Hence they transliterated it differently from native English speakers.
    In formal Mandarin it is pronounced closer to Bay Zhing than Jing.

More here if anyone really has nowt better to do.

https://www.linguism.co.uk/language/beijing-vs-peking

Merry Xmas!
  • Options
    29a NICK LEESON
  • Options
    29 across. Nick Leeson. Yes.

Can = nick (as in prison). Deposit = lees (as in wine). Nothing = O. Noon = n. Nick + Lees + o +n = Nick Leeson. Nick Leeson was the (in)famous trader at Barings Bank.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,563
    MaxPB said:

Midlander said:

The EU can apply arbitration approved tariffs to British caught fish if the UK decides to reduce EU quotas. Retaliation seems to be limited to fish which is a great result for the UK.

Edit: it's also why the UK agreed to the 25% return rather than holing the deal trying to get 35%. As soon as the EU dropped cross sector retaliation fishing stopped being an issue for the UK and the deal was clearly going to happen. In every contentious area the UK has always agreed with arbitration led solutions. It's how pretty much all major trade deals operate so I'm glad to see we've got there in the end.
    Yes, that was my reading of the tea leaves too.
  • Options

Wor Lass has just served Christmas dinner...

...to the sheep in the field behind our garden.

Apples and hay.

My turn later.

My other half was cooking fish the other week. Looks nice I said, wasn't my tea - was for the cats !
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

stjohn said:

"Djakarta?"

"Juwana?"

“Dubai?”

Twatt?

What's amazing is that the village name [Scandinavian, same root as Thwaite etc in N. Eng. etc.] was used for the nearby Fleet Air Arm airfield in WW2, RNAS Twatt aka HMS Tern (in its 'stone frigate' incarnation). It's not as if they had to use the name of the railway station (there being no railways in Orkney, the odd specialist quarry or naval base equipment-shifting aside). Perhaps there was an innocent Wren delegated with the job of picking the name down in the Admiralty.

Edit: Or a slyly not-so-innocent Wren.

https://www.forgottenairfields.com/airfield-twatt-884.html
    https://www.mesolithic.co.uk/blog/2019/11/06/3813/
    There is a theory that twat and thwaite have the same derivation meaning clearing in a forest.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    alex_ said:

Sad news about John Edrich - one of the bravest men ever to play cricket for England.

A reminder that it wasn't only 45 year old Close there that day

https://www.cricketcountry.com/articles/aging-john-edrich-and-brian-close-show-exemplary-courage-against-frightening-west-indies-attack-28791
This discussion has been closed.