Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Deal – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,958
    Merry Xmas [Brexit] War Is Over :D
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,222
    Happy Christmas to everyone.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

guybrush said:

I think leaving Erasmus is a real shame and something a lot of young people will really find very bemusing about why it's gone.

We all need to go ahead together and that means moving past Brexit but I can't help but feel as usual with the Tories anyone young just gets ignored in whatever they do.

Agreed, that is a particularly sad casualty. I don't think Brexit has done the Torys any favours with younger voters. But maybe the sad truth is they don't need them, and don't need to give a shit, especially now Labour is done for in Scotland.
    Are we definitely leaving Erasmus?
    I heard they were still discussing that?

Whatever the deal, it now gives grown-ups the chance to opt back in to various schemes like Erasmus. It should be a no-brainer.
    We wanted to. The EU said no, you’re leaving, despite the fact that plenty of non EU members are part of the scheme
    Barnier's perspective:

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1342127658541395970?s=20
    I think they tripled the price (to the Associate Member rate) and the U.K. said it wasn’t worth it, they could do it themselves. Entirely reasonable - we have several of these schemes already and there is nothing intrinsically special about Erasmus
    Ah, so we've moved on from *checks notes* 'The EU said no, you’re leaving'. Glad we've cleared that up.
    To be fair it was "no, you're leaving unless you pay more".
    Yeah, Barnier's crocodile tears on Erasmus were pretty nauseating given what the EU was asking us to pay. But given that about twice as many EU students came to the UK as UK students went to study in the EU, I think they've rather shot themselves in the foot.
    If Britain will no longer host European research students, then we will have shot ourselves in the foot. Quite simply, it is good for us to have Euro-boffins rattling British test tubes and genome sequencing machines. Hopefully Turing (let's hope pb's sceptics don't find out they are putting him on the money) will continue to finance their work.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Roger said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

guybrush said:

I think leaving Erasmus is a real shame and something a lot of young people will really find very bemusing about why it's gone.

We all need to go ahead together and that means moving past Brexit but I can't help but feel as usual with the Tories anyone young just gets ignored in whatever they do.

Agreed, that is a particularly sad casualty. I don't think Brexit has done the Torys any favours with younger voters. But maybe the sad truth is they don't need them, and don't need to give a shit, especially now Labour is done for in Scotland.

Whatever the deal, it now gives grown-ups the chance to opt back in to various schemes like Erasmus. It should be a no-brainer.
    We wanted to. The EU said no, you’re leaving, despite the fact that plenty of non EU members are part of the scheme
    Barnier's perspective:

I think they tripled the price (to the Associate Member rate) and the U.K. said it wasn’t worth it, they could do it themselves. Entirely reasonable - we have several of these schemes already and there is nothing intrinsically special about Erasmus
    Ah, so we've moved on from *checks notes* 'The EU said no, you’re leaving'. Glad we've cleared that up.
    Yeah, Barnier's crocodile tears on Erasmus were pretty nauseating given what the EU was asking us to pay. But given that about twice as many EU students came to the UK as UK students went to study in the EU, I think they've rather shot themselves in the foot.
    A loss to Britain. A lot of EU students came to study in Britain and gained an affection that carried forward into their postgraduate careers. From now on they will go to Ireland, IndyScotland or North America. Our loss, not theirs.
    Except Turing wil include EU students and if the EU learns to be less insular, that's a gain.
    The EU insular? How? The largest trading block in the world. In what way insular?
    What does its size have to do with its relations with the outside world?
    Where else do you get the diversity of the EU in a single continent? 15 or 16 languages 27 quite different countries. Where? There is nowhere.
    Africa? Far more countries and languages.
    Name five languages, and in each case outline the principal works of literature written in it.
    I could name several (Afrikaans, English, Xhosa, Zulu, Arabic and French off the top of my head) but I'm not sure I could list the principle works of literature in any of them: after all how many books in English would count?
    Interesting that four of those six languages are colonial.

No mention of say, Swahili, Kikuyu or Asante (to pick three random examples).
    In my defence I'm a Physics teacher, not a geographer..
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Still awaiting the post agreement response but... lol

https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1341981271489208325
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    Good evening.

The wife, suffering aches and pains, was confirmed as Covid positive at 5pm. She has taken to bed.

I think the 18 month yo has it too.

Merry Xmas!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031
    They will renegotiate a new deal with the EU between the election in December 2024, and the end of 2024? A brave plan.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,048
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

guybrush said:

Barnier's perspective:

A loss to Britain. A lot of EU students came to study in Britain and gained an affection that carried forward into their postgraduate careers. From now on they will go to Ireland, IndyScotland or North America. Our loss, not theirs.
    Is the US and Canada covered by Erasmus?
    No, but why should they choose us now?
    Because we've got 3 of the top 10 universities in the world, the other 7 in the US.

If you wanted to study genomic sequencing, for example, where would you go?
    If someone wants to make the argument that fewer might choose the UK I'd get the argument, but 'why should they choose us now' makes it sound like it would not make sense for anyone to want to choose us outside of Erasmus under any circumstances, which seems strange.
    OK, do you think it will increase interest in studying in the UK, or reduce it?
    I have no idea, but given one scheme is already established and the other not yet, I'd imagine it would reduce it at least in the short to medium term. If that was the point you wanted to make it seems easier enough to do without the 'woe is us' doommongering about why should anyone choose us.
    In the short term it is the virus most impacting on international students.

The reputational damage to Britain because of Brexit will be more rust than bust. Hostility to foreigners is obvious in Farageland.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051

Good evening.

The wife, suffering aches and pains, was confirmed as Covid positive at 5pm. She has taken to bed.

Merry Xmas!

Oof. Hope you all get well soon.
    Merry christmas
  • Options

Good evening.

Merry Xmas!

Good luck to all three of you.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,302

What's happening with regards to the EHRC?

Do you mean the ERC? We're in, because we're in Horizon.
    I assumed he was asking about the ECHR!
  • Options

Good evening.

Merry Xmas!

Good luck to you and the mrs and the wean.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,807

Good evening.

Merry Xmas!

Best wishes to you and your family and I hope for speedy recoveries.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Can I just say that when - in a hundred years time - the definitive history of Brexit and its consequences is written, I doubt anyone will even find Erasmus in the index.

History as it is understood a century later is completely different to lived experience.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,985
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

guybrush said:

Barnier's perspective:

Except Turing wil include EU students and if the EU learns to be less insular, that's a gain.
    The EU insular? How? The largest trading block in the world. In what way insular?
    Because they only want to do business on good terms with members of their own expensive political club. There's only 27 EU countries. There's over 200 more out there.
    That's not really true: the EU has many more FTAs than - for example - the US, China, Japan, or India. I hope we'll emulate South Korea, and manage to beat the EU in terms of number and scope of deals, but I think it's pretty disingenuous to claim that the EU is somehow uniquely anti-free trade, when it has a much better record than other big blocs.

I would also note, that the EU (again pretty uniquely) has entered into FTAs with a lot of poorer countries, especially in Africa.
    Are they fair?

I haven't looked, but the content of .. er .. EU Fishing Agreements with West African countries has a poor record for fairness.
    I imagine they're very similar to the deals poorer countries have also signed with China, Canadian and Korea regarding fishing right. Poor countries sell rights to their natural resources for very little money, shocker.

I haven't read the text of the agreement (https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-13370-2014-ADD-1/en/pdf), but my guess is that the African countries benefit hugely from being able to export their products tariff free to Europe.
    The problematic areas can be things like low tariffs on the raw product combined with high tariffs on processed value added products. Captures value add for the richer, powerful economy.

Sort of thing Fair Trade orgs work on.

I don't know where we are these days.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Still awaiting the post agreement response but... lol

https://twitter.com/johnredwood/status/1341981271489208325

No trade agreement puts on in full control of ones laws. That's the inherent nature of any agreement, it binds one not to do certain things. If you want full control of laws, then you have to eschew international agreements.

I don't know about the exit clause: presumably there's a six or twelve month notice period if you want to leave the treaty. (EEA has one, so I'd be staggered if this didn't.)
  • Options
    Does anyone have a handle on where we are with inspections of NI / GB freight traffic?

I think I heard "4 inspections a day" on R4, which is very small compared to daily traffic of thousands of commercial vehicles.

But may have misheard.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Good evening.

Merry Xmas!

Oof. Hope you all get well soon.
    Merry christmas
    Sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,222

rcs1000 said:

Can I just say that when - in a hundred years time - the definitive history of Brexit and its consequences is written, I doubt anyone will even find Erasmus in the index.

History as it is understood a century later is completely different to lived experience.
    The Boston Tea Party comes to mind.
  • Options
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

guybrush said:

Barnier's perspective:

Because they only want to do business on good terms with members of their own expensive political club. There's only 27 EU countries. There's over 200 more out there.
    That's not really true: the EU has many more FTAs than - for example - the US, China, Japan, or India. I hope we'll emulate South Korea, and manage to beat the EU in terms of number and scope of deals, but I think it's pretty disingenuous to claim that the EU is somehow uniquely anti-free trade, when it has a much better record than other big blocs.

I would also note, that the EU (again pretty uniquely) has entered into FTAs with a lot of poorer countries, especially in Africa.
    Are they fair?

I haven't looked, but the content of .. er .. EU Fishing Agreements with West African countries has a poor record for fairness.
    I imagine they're very similar to the deals poorer countries have also signed with China, Canadian and Korea regarding fishing right. Poor countries sell rights to their natural resources for very little money, shocker.

I haven't read the text of the agreement (https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-13370-2014-ADD-1/en/pdf), but my guess is that the African countries benefit hugely from being able to export their products tariff free to Europe.
    The problematic areas can be things like low tariffs on the raw product combined with high tariffs on processed value added products. Captures value add for the richer, powerful economy.

"The agreement provides for asymmetric liberalisation of trade in goods. While the EU will fully open its market, the African partners can maintain tariffs on 25% of tariff lines in order to protect sensitive sectors"
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Good evening.

Merry Xmas!

Hope Santa doen't give your house a miss as a result.... Probably best not to leave him a mince pie though, to be safe.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

LDs likely still to oppose the Deal, even as Labour will not oppose it

https://twitter.com/EdwardJDavey/status/1342135197945516032?s=20

So what Davey is saying is ... No deal is better than a bad deal? 😂
    Or perhaps, why should the country have to put up with a third-rate deal? Just because Johnson is lazy and useless as a negotiator?

Watch this space, and do not jump to conclusions, you unthinking Tories.
    you finally admit
    kle4 said:

I know I shouldn't react to it, but I just cannot believe the cringyness of reactions like that of Adonis. Seriously, does he think no one in British political life uses quotations?

It's no good someone to suggest it might mean that in general the European body politic is so much more classy and civilised, since he is using that specific example as demonstrative of it, and it is a nice sentiment but entirely unexceptional behaviour. A 5 second google search can find you Jacob Rees-Mogg quoting Shakespeare, I'm sure that will convince Nats they could never leave such a civilised nation as ther UK, for example.

And if it is about being courteous, that was lovely from UvdL and Boris is typically more of a boor, but it's just pathetic to act like the defining element of Europe is courteous politics and it's unheard of here.

It's cultural cringe.
    No Adonis is appealing directly to the Red Wall - he went on a tour don't you know so he knows how much they yearn for Proust, Cervantes, Schiller.......
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

FF43 said:

“So it's a deal, but it's a thin deal, a deal that we were promised would be better but this deal is better than no deal at all.” - Drakeford

I keep hearing this "thin deal"...this is the new "hard Brexit".

"Thin Deal" because it introduces significant barriers to trade that didn't exist before.

Strictly speaking, Brexit reintroduces those barriers to trade and the deal doesn't remove them. The term, "Free Trade Agreement", is a misnomer because they don't deliver free trade. They are about selectively managing barriers to trade. Preferential Trade Agreement is a more accurate term. The only real free trade areas are the European Union and Cross-Tasman between Australia and New Zealand.
    The EU is a Zollverein not a free trade area
    In terms of the level of free trade a zero tariff area (what you call a free trade area) is less than a customs union/Zollverein, which in turn is less than a single market.
    A free trade area encourages trade. A Zollverein diverts trade to benefit its members at the expense of others
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

guybrush said:

Barnier's perspective:

Sigh. Always trying g to score little points. How sweet. Conversation was:

* we want to be members on the current terms
    * No you’re leaving the price is 3x
    * It isn’t worth it, bye
  • Options

Thanks all for kind wishes.
    I will be very glad to see the end of 2020.
    (And in an ironic twist of fate, I must isolate until Jan 1 earliest).

Keep well. Covid-19 is a complete lottery. I saw a guy today who has antibodies but never was ill, and others that were a different story. Plenty of fluids and watch their O2 sats.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    felix said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

Or perhaps, why should the country have to put up with a third-rate deal? Just because Johnson is lazy and useless as a negotiator?

you finally admit
    kle4 said:

I know I shouldn't react to it, but I just cannot believe the cringyness of reactions like that of Adonis. Seriously, does he think no one in British political life uses quotations?

It's no good someone to suggest it might mean that in general the European body politic is so much more classy and civilised, since he is using that specific example as demonstrative of it, and it is a nice sentiment but entirely unexceptional behaviour. A 5 second google search can find you Jacob Rees-Mogg quoting Shakespeare, I'm sure that will convince Nats they could never leave such a civilised nation as ther UK, for example.

And if it is about being courteous, that was lovely from UvdL and Boris is typically more of a boor, but it's just pathetic to act like the defining element of Europe is courteous politics and it's unheard of here.

It's cultural cringe.
    No Adonis is appealing directly to the Red Wall - he went on a tour don't you know so he knows how much they yearn for Proust, Cervantes, Schiller.......
    And found they prefer Alf Garnett...
  • Options
    Casino - question for you. Have we succeeded in a deal where we do not have to check pape

Good evening.

Merry Xmas!

Best wishes to both of them
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,338
    Charles said:

Charles said:

FF43 said:

“So it's a deal, but it's a thin deal, a deal that we were promised would be better but this deal is better than no deal at all.” - Drakeford

I keep hearing this "thin deal"...this is the new "hard Brexit".

"Thin Deal" because it introduces significant barriers to trade that didn't exist before.

Strictly speaking, Brexit reintroduces those barriers to trade and the deal doesn't remove them. The term, "Free Trade Agreement", is a misnomer because they don't deliver free trade. They are about selectively managing barriers to trade. Preferential Trade Agreement is a more accurate term. The only real free trade areas are the European Union and Cross-Tasman between Australia and New Zealand.
    The EU is a Zollverein not a free trade area
    In terms of the level of free trade a zero tariff area (what you call a free trade area) is less than a customs union/Zollverein, which in turn is less than a single market.
    A free trade area encourages trade. A Zollverein diverts trade to benefit its members at the expense of others
    You can make the trade diversion argument about any preferential trade agreement. There's evidence that this happened with the Australia-USA FTA.

https://www.internationalaffairs.org.au/australianoutlook/the-costs-of-australias-free-trade-agreement-with-america/
  • Options
    felix said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

you finally admit
    kle4 said:

It's cultural cringe.
    Only if they are three brands of fancy lager.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

felix said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

you finally admit
    kle4 said:

It's cultural cringe.
    No they found out what people like you think about them and voted Brexit. Four years on and you still don't get it.
  • Options

Good evening.

Merry Xmas!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,197

Good evening.

Merry Xmas!

Oh dear! Best wishes. Can you isolate by walking in your garden?

• Options
    Oh dear. Mr Tagaki won't be joining us for the rest of his life.

That's not very Christmassy, Mr Gruber!
  • Options
    It's quite telling that so many posts on here and on Twitter about the deal have homed in on an obscure educational exchange opportunity confined to the EU which has been replaced by one which is open to the whole world. I think Boris will be fairly content with that.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    edited December 2020
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

guybrush said:

Barnier's perspective:

Sigh. Always trying g to score little points. How sweet. Conversation was:

* we want to be members on the current terms
    * No you’re leaving the price is 3x
    * It isn’t worth it, bye
    Chill, if you don't want to own your own statements that's fine. We're both just randos on the internet.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,338
    It's the end in the same way that the Treaty of Amiens was the end of the French revolutionary wars.
  • Options
    felix said:

Foxy said:

felix said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

you finally admit
    kle4 said:

It's cultural cringe.
    No they found out what people like you think about them and voted Brexit. Four years on and you still don't get it.
    I get it. I have always been in a political minority, I am used to it.
  • Options
    felix said:

It's quite telling that so many posts on here and on Twitter about the deal have homed in on an obscure educational exchange opportunity confined to the EU which has been replaced by one which is open to the whole world. I think Boris will be fairly content with that.
    For Remainers, the EU was about education, not trade. Who knew, these past four and a half years?
  • Options

Thanks all for kind wishes.
    I will be very glad to see the end of 2020.
    (And in an ironic twist of fate, I must isolate until Jan 1 earliest).

I am so sorry to hear your news

May your good lady and young one recover soon
  • Options
    felix said:

Well, let's see how people like it as it unravels.

All the good bits are just fragments of what we used to have. That is the simple reality. Everything else is less.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431
    edited December 2020
    felix said:

Foxy said:

felix said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

you finally admit
    kle4 said:

It's cultural cringe.
    You seem to think that it's unlikely that working class people in the north of England can yearn for Proust, Cervantes or Schiller That sounds a bit metropolitan sneery.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,890

felix said:

Foxy said:

felix said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

you finally admit
    kle4 said:

It's cultural cringe.
    You seem to think that it's unlikely that working class people in the north of England can yearn for Proust, Cervantes or Schiller That sounds a bit metropolitan sneery.
    If you are trying to say that the eu appeals to people that have read proust,cervantes or schiller then you are probably talking about a fairly small percentage of the population to be fair
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,966
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

They will renegotiate a new deal with the EU between the election in December 2024, and the end of 2024? A brave plan.
    The quote was deliberately taken out of context - Sweeney was specifically talking about the Erasmus programme:

https://twitter.com/PaulJSweeney/status/1342140453072887808?s=20
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

felix said:

Foxy said:

felix said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

you finally admit
    kle4 said:

It's cultural cringe.
    If you are trying to say that the eu appeals to people that have read proust,cervantes or schiller then you are probably talking about a fairly small percentage of the population to be fair
    You should probably address that to the chap that brought up Proust, Cervantes and Schiller, not me.
  • Options

RobD said:

The quote was misleading - Sweeney was specifically talking about the Erasmus programme:

"inevitable reconvergence", huh?

Time's arrow says otherwise....
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

felix said:

Foxy said:

felix said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

you finally admit
    kle4 said:

It's cultural cringe.
    You should probably address that to the chap that brought up Proust, Cervantes and Schiller, not me.
    Fair enough I did miss the original poster about it and didnt uncollapse the quotes so only saw your reference. I also don't see that leaving the EU means they are banned from reading any of them....besides most of the great works were penned both from europe and the uk long before the eu was an embryo idea. We lose no access to those by leaving the eu
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,966
    As a Remainer, I'm very relieved we have a deal.

Perhaps it was inevitable, perhaps it was all down to Johnson's incredible negotiating and politicing skills. Who knows, who cares? The important thing is that chaos on January 1st has, we hope, largely been avoided.

Do we know when the text of the agreement will be published?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So I take it given how happy Boris is that we got tariff free access for Services then?
  • Options
    A very Merry Christmas to all in the PB posse.

Stay safe and go easy on the Quality Street.

(I've already started on the Ferrero Rocher.)
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Good evening.

Merry Xmas!

Best wishes to you all

• Options

I think my diet is going to take a hell of a beating over the next few days :smiley:

Currently 8kg down - my doctor can no longer describe me as a "bit cuddly!"

One positive from this awful year I guess
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Good evening.

Merry Xmas!

Pob lwc.

Middle-aged colleagues of mine had it, and the only symptom was loss of taste.

In fact, all the people I know who had it have suffered mild symptoms & made very speedy recoveries.

I hope this also will be true chez Gardenwalker.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,074
    Season's greetings to all on PB.
    Special best of luck to @Gardenwalker and family.
  • Options

RobD said:

The quote was deliberately taken out of context - Sweeney was specifically talking about the Erasmus programme:

Seems dumb since there will already be a scheme in place for students to travel from the UK.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

So I take it given how happy Boris is that we got tariff free access for Services then?

The EU does not impose external tariffs on services, so that was not the issue. It was more around mutual recognition of standards.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Floater said:

I think my diet is going to take a hell of a beating over the next few days :smiley:

That's good going! I shifted 30kg last year, and I know it's hard work.

One can't be "good" all the time. Give yourself a few days off, then jump back on the wagon. Keep the lifestyle changes up, and in the long run you'll be fine.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    RobD said:

Seems dumb since there will already be a scheme in place for students to travel from the UK.

It is just a cost/benefit analysis. We obviously want to run an exchange scheme like Erasmus.

Can we run it more efficiently than the entry fee that the EU is proposing to charge us to join Erasmus ?

Having seen some of the profligate waste in Brussel at first hand, I bet we can, but let's see.
  • Options

Floater said:

One can't be "good" all the time. Give yourself a few days off, then jump back on the wagon. Keep the lifestyle changes up, and in the long run you'll be fine.
    blinks 8kg is 12.5% of my body weight if I lost 30kg I would look like an inmate from belsen
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Yes, that's the dog that hasn't quite barked (yet). The EU runs a huge surplus in trade in goods with the UK, and has secured an agreement that preserves the circumstances that have led to that position. That huge surplus has to a degree offset by trade in services, particularly financial services where the UK has a substantial surplus, on which the agreement is pretty well silent.

In those circumstances, the exit clauses become quite important. Could the UK choose to threaten to walk away from the whole agreement if, in the course of time, the EU decides to play silly buggers in order to compromise our financial services industry?
  • Options
    So, basically Charles Hawtrey made Leaving Las Vegas look like a Disney movie?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,700
    ?

Good evening.

Merry Xmas!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery
    Same, sorry to hear that, hope the whole household is fighting fit soon.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

RobD said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

guybrush said:

Barnier's perspective:

Are they fair?

"The agreement provides for asymmetric liberalisation of trade in goods. While the EU will fully open its market, the African partners can maintain tariffs on 25% of tariff lines in order to protect sensitive sectors"
    I think that one is not even in force provisionally yet, having been started in 2003.

And that one applies far less liberalisation to eg prepared fish over raw fish.
    https://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2017/november/tradoc_156409.pdf
  • Options

Good evening.

Merry Xmas!

You poor thing! You could well be forgiven IF you said "Bah humbug" instead of "Merry Christmas"

All the best for you & yours, and a quick and full recovery to all victims of COVID, whom ever, where ever, how ever.

As for PBers, may your Yule logs burn bright, may your predictions be confirmed (more or less) AND may your betting be better than average!

• Options
    Apologies to anyone who may go without me 'liking' their posts for a while - I've had to disable JavaScript as Vanilla had become unusable on my phone. I will try to find a less nuclear solution in due course.

In other Vanilla gripes, have you ever been told a post is too short?? Not impressed, especially as I could have mindlessly copied and pasted a tweet which would presumably have met the length requirement! :lol:
  • Options
    Alistair said:

naughty naughty asking relevant questions is not allowed
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,958
    WOW! Even Nigel's on board?

I didn't think anything other than nuking Paris could make him happy? :D
  • Options
    Well with a Brexit trade deal done and vaccines being rolled out I guess Bozo can now concentrate full time on his mid-life crisis and hand over to a new PM by the summer.

• Options

Alistair said:

Yes, that's the dog that hasn't quite barked (yet). The EU runs a huge surplus in trade in goods with the UK, and has secured an agreement that preserves the circumstances that have led to that position. That huge surplus has to a degree offset by trade in services, particularly financial services where the UK has a substantial surplus, on which the agreement is pretty well silent.

In those circumstances, the exit clauses become quite important. Could the UK choose to threaten to walk away from the whole agreement if, in the course of time, the EU decides to play silly buggers in order to compromise our financial services industry?

Alistair said:

Har Har , back to fantasy land
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,544

felix said:

For Remainers, the EU was about education, not trade. Who knew, these past four and a half years?
    Erasmus is a disappointing loss. My wife enjoyed the benefits of the Erasmus programme at University in Parma.

As you know I am a vile scumbag filth Remainer, so I suspect I can speak for Remainers, perhaps more than you can.

The EU is a corrupt leviathan that few of us loved with any particular enthusiasm. Indeed, trade is key and a tariff free arrangement is preferable to no deal, I believe we had a greater advantage inside rather than out, but I would say that wouldn't I.

For me freedom of movement was a big benefit personally now lost. I am not in the mood to list everything else I preferred in than out, but the list is not insubstantial.

You won, I lost! Well done. Johnson won, although he in reality, isn't any less a Euro enthusiast than I am. However his pretence has made him Prime Minister and is currently enjoying the adulation of his magnificent victory. A victory in time I believe will cost our nation dearly

Today is a sad day for me, but I accept my defeat. True, I am an unpatriotic former Remainer traitor, but I am sucking it up. Enjoy!

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,288
    Best wishes all, and especially @Gardenwalker .
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Alistair said:

No tariffs on services. I've been through this a few times, international rules and governance on services trade is a wild west. Mutual recognition of qualifications is probably the major issue but a lot of that is still reserved to national governments as even within the EU there is huge disagreement on this.
  • Options
    The Deal gives me an overwhelming feeling of relief even though I don't know the details and am sure there is a lot of bad stuff in the details. We can at last move on! Well done Boris and team!  
  • Options
    Pleased to report my relative has tested negative. Although he wasn't feeling well this evening so possible he is developing symptoms - fingers crossed it is something else.

Goodnight all.
  • Options
    A Christmas thought.....................
    Democracy, Tory Style

Tyranny defined: One man, London appointed, with more power over Scotland that the entire electorate combined.

• Options

Alistair said:

naughty naughty asking relevant questions is not allowed
    It is a relevant question, the relevant answer to which is 'yes'.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    1641 days since the referendum.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,288
    The 3D version of the illusion is remarkable.

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1342108230714064897
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

We're waiting on the small print of the deal......
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

GIN1138 said:

We're waiting on the small print of the deal......
    And by small print we mean all the print.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,544
    Just watching ITV news and Boris' victory speech. He is very bullish. Von Der Leyen's concession of defeat was suitably sombre.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,610
    The blue pet passport with its yellow EU stars on the front will remain valid for entering (returning to) the UK but not for entering the EU, which is a strange outcome.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,542

Pleased to report my relative has tested negative. Although he wasn't feeling well this evening so possible he is developing symptoms - fingers crossed it is something else.

Goodnight all.

Good news. Easy to forget that there are other bugs around, and at the moment less than 1 in 10 Covid tests is positive. Hope they recover swiftly. Wife and I had a Christmas stinky cold a few years ago. Not fun.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,074
    In other news SAFC have been taken over by a 22 year old...
  • Options
    So we now have zero tariffs and quotas with the EU. What are we gonna do about tariffs on imports from other countries? Surely not keep the CET (Common External Tariff) of the EU! Abolish them all Boris! Or does that somehow compromise the FTAs Truss has got?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

In other news SAFC have been taken over by a 22 year old...

Mary and Joseph only had one donkey at Christmas. He's got himself a couple of dozen.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

So we now have zero tariffs and quotas with the EU. What are we gonna do about tariffs on imports from other countries? Surely not keep the CET (Common External Tariff) of the EU! Abolish them all Boris! Or does that somehow compromise the FTAs Truss has got?

That's a very good question.

But can I point you to South Korea, as the poster child for the opposite approach. South Korea has very high external tariffs, but is extremely open to FTAs.

They are therefore the only country to have managed to sign them with Japan, india, the US, the EU and Australia.
  • Options

felix said:

Erasmus is a disappointing loss. My wife enjoyed the benefits of the Erasmus programme at University in Parma.

As you know I am a vile scumbag filth Remainer, so I suspect I can speak for Remainers, perhaps more than you can.

The EU is a corrupt leviathan that few of us loved with any particular enthusiasm. Indeed, trade is key and a tariff free arrangement is preferable to no deal, I believe we had a greater advantage inside rather than out, but I would say that wouldn't I.

For me freedom of movement was a big benefit personally now lost. I am not in the mood to list everything else I preferred in than out, but the list is not insubstantial.

You won, I lost! Well done. Johnson won, although he in reality, isn't any less a Euro enthusiast than I am. However his pretence has made him Prime Minister and is currently enjoying the adulation of his magnificent victory. A victory in time I believe will cost our nation dearly

Today is a sad day for me, but I accept my defeat. True, I am an unpatriotic former Remainer traitor, but I am sucking it up. Enjoy!

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    "Johnson won, although he in reality, isn't any less a Euro enthusiast than I am."

Freed from having to tag along with Brussels' determination to form a nation state and all that entails, I reckon Boris will get along with the EU rather well. There's no mileage in antagonising them further - and plenty of opportunities to build trust. We could have a rather mature relationship by the time of the next election. Expect surprises from Boris now Brexit is delivered!

Not sure where that will put Remainers. I genuinely think the EU will be very largely neutralised as an issue by 2024, because we will have a grown up arrangement. You should have good reason not to see today as a disaster. I hope that to be true anyway.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours too.
  • Options

Goodnight all.

Good news. Easy to forget that there are other bugs around, and at the moment less than 1 in 10 Covid tests is positive. Hope they recover swiftly. Wife and I had a Christmas stinky cold a few years ago. Not fun.
    One year we both had full-on flu at Christmas. Our Christmas dinner was a bowl of soup. (AKA 'Hot broth')

On that cheerful note, time to turn in and wait for Santa to visit.

Night all.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Floater said:

blinks 8kg is 12.5% of my body weight if I lost 30kg I would look like an inmate from belsen
    I was 90.55 down to 82.50

I need to get down to below 80 to not be classed as overweight - I was knocking on the door of the next category up which not smart as a male in his 50's in this brave new world.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

But can I point you to South Korea, as the poster child for the opposite approach. South Korea has very high external tariffs, but is extremely open to FTAs.

They are therefore the only country to have managed to sign them with Japan, india, the US, the EU and Australia.
    Well surely if you have high tarrifs there is a much stronger reason for counter parties to want an FTA? If you already have no tarrifs then why should they bother?

Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Yes, there's a big incentive to get behind the tariff wall with an FTA. But SKorea has a different attitude to industrial protection and consumer welfare from that of the UK which is historically a (or the) leading advocate of free trade.
    SK's historical stance on protection can be justified in terms of the "infant industry" argument. But it is no longer in that state, being nowadays an advanced industrial nation. As far as its consumers are concerned it has, shall we say, an oriental view of their well-being.

edited to disambiguate
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

No inconsistency between high tariffs and managing to negotiate plenty of FTAs - quite the opposite in fact.
This discussion has been closed.