Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Boris’s Christmas U-turn ain’t going to be good for his popularity – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited December 2020 in General
imageBoris’s Christmas U-turn ain’t going to be good for his popularity – politicalbetting.com

The real political problem with this afternoon’s announcement is that it comes only a few weeks after he had announced a relaxation for five days over Christmas. At the time this was widely criticised and thought by many to be taking too much of a risk.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,340
    And Christmas is still on in Scotland. Back of the net Nippy!
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    You’d think at some point all the shilly-shallying back and forth would come back to bite him, but we’re still in the bre-real Brexit phony war period, so who knows?
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Can the trucks get into Kent after the 31st and out of Tier 4? Tragedy or Farce?
  • Options
    It isn't, but those wetting themselves with excitement that this is going to lead to a thousand-year Starmer Reich just because he 'called' it 48-hours early need to go and have a lie down.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Fenman said:

Can the trucks get into Kent after the 31st and out of Tier 4? Tragedy or Farce?

Have the restrictions ever applied to hauliers?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941

And Christmas is still on in Scotland. Back of the net Nippy!

Quite significantly restricted tbf, temporally anyway, from what was proposed before. But as much to give the vulnerable some relief as anything.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,472
    The facts changed in September. The clown scored cheap points mocking that his opinion might change just last Wednesday.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    https://twitter.com/ZacGoldsmith/status/1340346440422440960

Neville Chamberlain, David Lloyd George, Winston Churchill, Clement Attlee and Margaret Thatcher all raise eyebrows.
  • Options
    Also, Boris has cover as all 4 nations (lots of political flavours there) were united in supporting the UK Christmas plan until just a few days ago. Which surprised me. I thought that Sturgeon would want to at least do something different just to create a dividing line - but she didn't.

Those thinking he'll pay a big political penalty for this are misreading it.
  • Options

It isn't, but those wetting themselves with excitement that this is going to lead to a thousand-year Starmer Reich just because he 'called' it 48-hours early need to go and have a lie down.

It's not going to do his popularity any good, but it was the right decision.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090
    At least Boris bit the bullet and actually did something sensible for once.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Neville Chamberlain, David Lloyd George, Winston Churchill, Clement Attlee and Margaret Thatcher all raise eyebrows.

Surely Asquith too - rather than Mrs T?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    The most silly thing was the fact that London remained in Tier 2 in recent weeks when it was obvious the crowds of people in places like Oxford Street were far too high.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited December 2020
    Meh. Let's see what happens in the spring when tens of millions have been vaccinated, the gloom lifts, and life and liberty gradually return to normal. If that goes well, no one will care too much about a necessarily truncated Christmas.

Meanwhile, at least the Northerners will be (relatively!) happy...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    malcolmg said:

Good grief - truly the ned of days: @malcolmg not critical of Boris! Fair play sir!
  • Options

Also, Boris has cover as all 4 nations (lots of political flavours there) were united in supporting the UK Christmas plan until just a few days ago. Which surprised me. I thought that Sturgeon would want to at least do something different just to create a dividing line - but she didn't.

Those thinking he'll pay a big political penalty for this are misreading it.

The Scottish regulations were actually significantly more restrictive for Christmas. It wasn't a cut and paste job at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    BBC saying current tests are not picking up many cases of the new variant

As in missing them
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    In non-Boris clown news I am fairly certain bot GOP Senate candidates will win in Georgia despite my personal revulsion of both of them.

I am out of the market.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Good grief - truly the ned of days: @malcolmg not critical of Boris! Fair play sir!
    Yes, the criticism is not of the actions he has taken but the communication and dithering before taking these actions.

It is March all over again.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
    IanB2 said:

Bodes well regarding all those students that relied on negative lateral-flow tests to then travel home last week.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The test can't pick them up, or it can't distinguish them?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    dr_spyn said:

Lloyd George faced Passchendaele, Operation Michael and the flu pandemic as well as a massive economic slump.

All within five years of each other.

I think Eden and Disraeli would also request honourable mentions on that list.
  • Options
    Ebeneezer Johnson! :lol:
  • Options
    Boris looks like a bloody idiot this evening.

But I am irresistibly reminded of my Bernard Cornwell:

‘You made Lord Robin look like a bloody idiot, Captain,’ said Berrigan. ‘But that ain’t difficult on account of the fact that he is a bloody idiot.’
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:

Carswell on the libertarian Brexit right also not pleased

https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/1340362324130099200?s=20

I don't often say this but in this instance Carswell is wrong.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    If the thing about it adding 0.4 to R is correct then tier 4 will not be sufficient to stop the spread of the virus anyway. At some point even lockdowns are going to be insufficient.

We need the AZN/Oxford vaccine, yesterday.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

That does rather beg the question of what the point of this testing regimen in schools is, then.

Although as nobody was going to be able to use it anyway I suppose the point is moot.
  • Options
    Phil said:

HYUFD said:
    Sheesh. Lockdowns have worked perfectly well. Every time we have a lockdown we squash R < 1 and the virus recedes. The trouble is that this is a very infectious disease & when we take the foot off the brake, back it comes.

What is it with these numpties & their denial of reality?
    Also, we do have an exit plan: it’s called mass vaccination. Have they not been paying attention to the news?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I was a child when Thatcher was in power but I am not aware of Thatcher dealing with anything like this.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

‘You made Lord Robin look like a bloody idiot, Captain,’ said Berrigan. ‘But that ain’t difficult on account of the fact that he is a bloody idiot.’

Oh, erm, erm, cripes. Erm, oh, erm. Crikey...

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1340360672736100354
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,011
    Phil said:

HYUFD said:
    Sheesh. Lockdowns have worked perfectly well. Every time we have a lockdown we squash R < 1 and the virus recedes. The trouble is that this is a very infectious disease & when we take the foot off the brake, back it comes.

A lockdown is supposed to be a means to an end, not an end in itself.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

That does rather beg the question of what the point of this testing regimen in schools is, then.

Although as nobody was going to be able to use it anyway I suppose the point is moot.
    I'm not convinced. If the test wasn't sensitive to it, there would be no big increase in the SE.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Bodes well regarding all those students that relied on negative lateral-flow tests to then travel home last week.
    To be fair most of those students were supposed to have travelled home more than 10 days ago so if they and those they have subsequently been in contact with are not showing symptoms by now then they probably don't have to worry that they have brought a killer home.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

It appears the former. Only special labs are picking it up, they said just now

If it is substantively different, can we be confidence the vaccines will still work?
  • Options
    What mechanism does Steve Baker propose that drove case numbers lower coinciding exactly with lockdown if not lockdown then?

Divine providence?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Tory right are certainly not happy and want a clear exit plan from the lockdowns

The clear exit plan is the vaccine rollout.

So I hope none of them spread antivax nonsense.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277

Meh. Let's see what happens in the spring when tens of millions have been vaccinated, the gloom lifts, and life and liberty gradually return to normal. If that goes well, no one will care too much about a necessarily truncated Christmas.

"Meh" sums it up really - the nasty party is well and truly alive.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited December 2020
    I think people will recognise the emergency and won't especially criticise Johnson for the decision itself, though the perception that he leaves difficulty decisions too long is becoming very widespread.

On a more cheerful note, I was surprised to hear Torsten Bell (ex-Darling adviser) and a former adviwser to George Osborne on R4 predicting a tremendous ecvonomic boom next year once people feel it's safe - they were predicting enormous built up enthusiasm for restaurants, travel, etc., and a hiring spree by the hospitality sector. I hope they're right, though I personally think people will be quite cautious for a long time.
  • Options
    How many Londoners own seconds home in Cornwall, Devon and the Cotswolds?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Credit to you for that. But I would still suggest he has not gone far enough in some specific areas. Communal worship should have been stopped and schools remained closed until they knew they were on top of this. I am not sure that 3 weeks will be enough to ensure it is safe to reopen secondary schools
  • Options

IanB2 said:

To be fair most of those students were supposed to have travelled home more than 10 days ago so if they and those they have subsequently been in contact with are not showing symptoms by now then they probably don't have to worry that they have brought a killer home.
    Our term only finished yesterday?

Regardless my point was about the new variant being seeded all over the country.
  • Options
    Phew.. the restaurant we're getting our fancy xmas eve takeaway dinner from is 500 yards from Berkshire and Tier 4
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

I was a child when Thatcher was in power but I am not aware of Thatcher dealing with anything like this.
    Thatcher famously said during the Falklands War, ‘it’s very exciting to have a proper crisis when you’ve spent your life dealing with humdrum things like the environment.’
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147

HYUFD said:

Carswell on the libertarian Brexit right also not pleased

https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/1340362324130099200?s=20

I don't often say this but in this instance Carswell is wrong.
    You should say it more often.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

If it is substantively different, can we be confidence the vaccines will still work?
    How though does that square with the argument that we know there's a new strain because we're seeing the numbers increase so quickly?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

That doesn't make sense. If the test can't pick it up, what is causing the surge in the SE? They just said the surge was being caused by the variant.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

I'm sorry but nobody believes a word of this bullsh8t any more, based if nothing else on the assurances given to MPs and the public by Johnson's government in the past.

Today its a mutant strain. In the spring it will be some other reason. For authoritarians, there is always a good reason. If you think the people who lord it over our lives are going to give up that power so easily, well I have a bridge to sell you.

We are in this for the duration. We are in it until this government is replaced by one that realises that rule by 'not overwhelming the NHS' is destroying our country. Its culture, its economy, its mental health, its future, its liberty. Almost irretrievably.

I mention the numbers Johnson is racking up, and all I get is insults. Presumably you don;t want to face them either.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

"almost" is carrying a hell of a lot of weight in that tweet.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Phil said:

HYUFD said:

A lockdown is supposed to be a means to an end, not an end in itself.
    Yes, the end is keeping things running until we can have a mass vaccination program in place. We are talking single digit months, probably only 2 or 3 here.

A competent test, trace and /isolate/ program that had been operational since the summer might also have worked, but it’s clear that this government is not capable of implementing it, despite the £billions thrown into the Serco’s gaping maw.
  • Options

I'm sorry but nobody believes a word of this bullsh8t any more, based if nothing else on the assurances given to MPs and the public by Johnson's government in the past.

Today its a mutant strain. In the spring it will be some other reason. For authoritarians, there is always a good reason. If you think the people who lord it over our lives are going to give up that power so easily, well I have a bridge to sell you.

We are in this for the duration. We are in it until this government is replaced by one that realises that rule by 'not overwhelming the NHS' is destroying our country. Its culture, its economy, its mental health, its future, its liberty. Almost irretrievably.

I mention the numbers Johnson is racking up, and all I get is insults. Presumably you don;t want to face them either.
    You seriously think these restrictions are going to be in place until 2024?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

Surely Asquith too - rather than Mrs T?
    Rich tw8ts like Goldsmith are not going to be that badly affected when the enormous bills come around.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

I think people will recognise the emergency and won't especially criticise Johnson for the decision itself, though the perception that he leaves difficulty decisions too long is becoming very widespread.

On a more cheerful note, I was surprised to hear Torsten Bell (ex-Darling adviser) and a former adviwser to George Osborne on R4 predicting a tremendous ecvonomic boom next year once people feel it's safe - they were predicting enormous built up enthusiasm for restaurants, travel, etc., and a hiring spree by the hospitality sector. I hope they're right, though I personally think people will be quite cautious for a long time.

It’s not about caution or boldness, it’s about money or lack of it.

Next year there will be desire, but there won’t be much spare cash floating around.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,920
    I reckon this will be more popular than however many months of lockdown would be needed as the alternative after Christmas.
  • Options

No. You don't believe it. The majority of people clearly do and were very much in favour of tougher measures well before Johnson started signalling it. Go bury your head back in the sand where you belong.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    One small upside of the latest shambles is that Johnson's crappy Brexit deal is more likely to get the nod, I think. We're well past the levels of Johnson-inflicted chaos that a nation can put up with.
  • Options
    RobD said:

That's a very limited subset of Londoners but enough that this will cause problems in the SW.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

I reckon this will be more popular than however many months of lockdown would be needed as the alternative after Christmas.

I fear we will get the ultra lockdown anyway in new year.
  • Options
    If Johnson had followed the guidance of PB we wouldn't be in this mess
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

RobD said:

That's a very limited subset of Londoners but enough that this will cause problems in the SW.
    How mightily selfish of them.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oh, erm, erm, cripes. Erm, oh, erm. Crikey...

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1340360672736100354
    They knew Tier 3 wasn't going to work. The same scientists he is once again cowering behind told him that to his face live on TV. But the cowards are happy to say its a political decision when that suits them and say its a scientist decision when that suits them.

Meanwhile my brother and sister-in-law in Aberdeenshire are taking stock of the fact that my sis-in-law's daughter won't be able to travel up with her Grandparents who she is living with in Manchester (15, refused to leave her school when they moved up a year ago)
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Regardless my point was about the new variant being seeded all over the country.
    For most of England the travel home window was 3rd - 9th December. From 9th all teaching was supposed to be online. With a daughter in second year at Nottingham I am aware that both she and all her friends from other universities had got tested and headed home prior to 9th.
  • Options
    I pointed this out in the last thread. Maybe I should get back on Twitter.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Indeed - how very dare we not fall over prostrate at every setback merely because our opponents think we should. It's a habit that causes them no end of consternation and befuddlement...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

How though does that square with the argument that we know there's a new strain because we're seeing the numbers increase so quickly?
    They said tests are only picking up some of the new strain, not none of them.

The news channel has moved on and it isn’t a point they have yet come back to. But it might explain the apparent government panic.
  • Options

If Johnson had followed the guidance of PB we wouldn't be in this mess

What would be different?
  • Options
    You (not you but you know what I mean) have to have a very select group of friends for them all to have second homes in the Cotswolds, Cornwall or pretty much anywhere.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    ydoethur said:

It’s not about caution or boldness, it’s about money or lack of it.

Next year there will be desire, but there won’t be much spare cash floating around.
    A big divide, I suspect.

There will be those who have lost their jobs or taken pay cuts. Then there will be large numbers* who have maintained their income but have not been spending: on holidays, entertainment, eating out, etc.

The latter group will be spending big-time.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

One small upside of the latest shambles is that Johnson's crappy Brexit deal is more likely to get the nod, I think. We're well past the levels of Johnson-inflicted chaos that a nation can put up with.

Except that the only people who count (as one of us on PB keeps telling us) are the Tory Party and in the immediate future that means the Tory MPs in Westminster. They are already gibbering like a bunch of lower primates with their bendy bananas stolen. It's not put them in a good mood to be, as they see it, ritually mounted yet again by the alpha male monkey to express his dominance and told to go out again to defend his latest change of mind. Especially with the organ grinder off to have an eye test or something. I really don't know what will happen.
  • Options

No. You don't believe it. The majority of people clearly do and were very much in favour of tougher measures well before Johnson started signalling it. Go bury your head back in the sand where you belong.
    Quite. The issue is not the tougher measure but the fact that Johnson cannot get ahead of the game. Hancock told the Commons on Monday that there was a new varient that may have been responsible for the rise in cases. On Wednesday Johnson was all over Starmer for suggesting that the Christmas truce may have been a mistake. Now today.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

They said tests are only picking up some of the new strain, not none of them.

The news channel has moved on and it isn’t a point they have yet come back to. But it might explain the apparent government panic.
    If you see a written report it could you share it here? Would be very interesting to read what evidence they have for this claim. I can only hope it was just journalist saying it, chances are they got confused.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

It's not going to be an alternative. We're getting both.
  • Options

If ToriesJohnson had followed the guidance of PB we wouldn't have Johnson putting us be in this mess

CTFY
  • Options

IanB2 said:

For most of England the travel home window was 3rd - 9th December. From 9th all teaching was supposed to be online. With a daughter in second year at Nottingham I am aware that both she and all her friends from other universities had got tested and headed home prior to 9th.
    Well that's good. Hopefully that's avoided some issues.

My only worry is that a majority of those I know who are either at university in London or work there post-university stayed in London because Tier 2 rather than their "home" which was in Tier 3, and only returned "home" within the last few days.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Nah. You don't qualify under Cameron's definition :)

(In case you missed it that was a compliment by the way.)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

Except that the only people who count (as one of us on PB keeps telling us) are the Tory Party and in the immediate future that means the Tory MPs in Westminster. They are already gibbering like a bunch of lower primates with their bendy bananas stolen. It's not put them in a good mood to be, as they see it, ritually mounted yet again by the alpha male monkey to express his dominance and told to go out again to defend his latest change of mind. Especially with the organ grinder off to have an eye test or something. I really don't know what will happen.
    I think we could get poll movements as dramatic as after the extension in March 2019.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Two points
    If I posted this six months ago you would have said - you seriously think these restrictions will be in place in December 2020?

and

It doesn;t really matter what's in place in 2024. The damage is being done now.

I repeat how do we get from a 400bn deficit to balancing the books?

How do we convince businesses they won't be arbitrarily shut down in the future if something Chris Whitty doesn;t like turns up? ask yourself, would you open a pub? start any people to people business whatsoever?

This is for keeps mate. Your sunlit uplands are not coming back. Not next year, not for decades. Have you not seen the numbers FFS?

• Options

rkrkrk said:

I fear we will get the ultra lockdown anyway in new year.
    I think another lockdown is likely, but today's announcement should help shorten it significantly.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Johnson is facing a tougher situation than any PM post WWII it seems.
  • Options
    A few days ago, but the CMO saying current tests would be sensitive to the new strain: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55308211
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Took me a second to dredge the reference back out from the recesses of my memory though! Nearly had to Google it!
  • Options

RobD said:

Two points
    If I posted this six months ago you would have said - you seriously think these restrictions will be in place in December 2020?

and

How do we convince businesses they won't be arbitrarily shut down in the future if something Chris Whitty doesn;t like turns up? ask yourself, would you open a pub? start any people to people business whatsoever?

This is for keeps mate. Your sunlit uplands are not coming back. Not next year, not for decades. Have you not seen the numbers FFS?

I knew we were in it for the long-haul until a vaccine was approved and distributed. We are almost there now, thankfully. As for the deficit, a lot of that is temporary, although it will take a while for things to recover.
  • Options
    The other positive thing is that while Boris is still mocking Starmer and u-turning - the time taken to do so has reduced significantly.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Johnson is facing a tougher situation than any PM post WWII it seems.
    And yet he cannot control his utter urge to joke and smirk? I wouldn;t want him as a speaker at my funeral.
  • Options

You (not you but you know what I mean) have to have a very select group of friends for them all to have second homes in the Cotswolds, Cornwall or pretty much anywhere.
    Indeed. And of course millions of Londoners don't live in her rarified world.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Well that's good. Hopefully that's avoided some issues.

My only worry is that a majority of those I know who are either at university in London or work there post-university stayed in London because Tier 2 rather than their "home" which was in Tier 3, and only returned "home" within the last few days.
    Fair point. I suppose in the end this is what any Government is fighting. All these rules, guidance and even laws can only ever be forceful nudges to do the right thing. It is physically impossible for any Government in a relatively free society to enforce these sorts of rules no matter whether they call them guidance or laws. So all they can do is try and set out as forcefully as possible what they need people to do and hope they are sensible enough to do it.
  • Options

'We are in it until this government is replaced'

The wonderful thing is that if we both keep posting, we get to see which of us will turn out to be right, and which wrong, in real time. Exciting, isn't it?
  • Options
    It's a balls up but I see no enthusiasm for Captain Hindsight who only seeks to make political capital and doesn't provide any alternative direction or leadership.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

If ToriesJohnson had followed the guidance of PB we wouldn't have Johnson putting us be in this mess

CTFY
    You know the one thing I really do not like is posters changing a fellow posters comments

It is not clever or respects another poster's view

And it is unnecessary

Stand up and make your own statement
  • Options

DougSeal said:

What does Cameron's definition make ScottP?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Indeed - how very dare we not fall over prostrate at every setback merely because our opponents think we should. It's a habit that causes them no end of consternation and befuddlement...
    There's a country mile between falling "over prostrate" and the callous disregard intimated by your "Meh".
  • Options

RobD said:

Two points

and

Personally I was saying in /March/ that we were in this for at least a year, if we were lucky and the first round of vaccines worked.

Guess what! We were lucky & the vaccines worked extremely well; far better than anyone dared to hope. Depending on how fast the vaccine rollout goes, we might well be out of this by the end of March.

Nobody will care about the debt - it’s owed to a lender who isn’t about to call it in after all. They will care about the deficit & that’s going to be impacted by Brexit, but we’ll also have a post-Covid bounceback boom, so maybe that’ll be lost in the short term bounce, who knows.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2020

It's a balls up but I see no enthusiasm for Captain Hindsight who only seeks to make political capital and doesn't provide any alternative direction or leadership.

Keir Starmer called for action and Johnson called him scrooge and he said that cancelling Christmas would be inhuman.

He then U-turned two days later.

So spare me the bullshit for once, thanks.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Two points

and

I knew we were in it for the long-haul until a vaccine was approved and distributed. We are almost there now, thankfully. As for the deficit, a lot of that is temporary, although it will take a while for things to recover.
    'It will take a while for things to recover' is one of the understatements of the year along with Johnson's 'turn the tide in twelve weeks' back in March.

This discussion has been closed.