Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Punters remain confident that there will be a deal – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,652
    RobD said:

Off topic, I decided to dip into Putin's official twitter feed. It seems to be an endless stream of stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/KremlinRussia_E/status/1338489060650856453?s=20

Two observations:
    1. Putin looks bored, tired and old.
    2. His office is really crap.

Probably bored and tired of dealing with all the nobodies.
    That sounds like his enemies, many of whom now have no bodies.
  • tlg86 said:

I see Germany has passed 800 deaths announced today compared with 16,258 cases three weeks earlier. Last Tuesday they announced 622 deaths compared with 16,206 cases three weeks before. I wonder just how bad things are going to get there over the next few weeks.

Germany has more followed the Eastern European pattern rather than the Western European pattern for covid.

So mildly hit in the spring but much harder, perhaps exacerbated by complacency, in the autumn.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,763
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Maybe it doesn't fit the narrative.
    Na, they did so well in the first wave that being slightly worse than that is still very good.
    Still a shock to German self-confidence.
  • Carnyx said:

Well, well. Mr Johnson must be really worried about indyref2.
    I would love to think that he was doing it because it was the right thing to do. But as soon a I have the thought I start scolding myself for being so naive.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,233
    @YBarddCwsc

In the 1960s, Welsh GDP was twice that of the Republic of Ireland. Now in the 2020s, the economy of the Republic of Ireland is four times that of Wales.

You know, that's true of practically everywhere. And it's also a bit misleading.

For a start, Irish GDP contains a lot of Euros/Pounds/Dollars that doesn't go anywhere near real people. Pharmaceutical companies routing pills through Ireland boosts GDP but does very little for the man on a bus in Kerry. (Irish GDP is now almost TWICE that of the UK on a per capita basis -$42k vs $78k.)
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    RobD said:

Off topic, I decided to dip into Putin's official twitter feed. It seems to be an endless stream of stuff like this:

Two observations:

Well, why does he do it then? Nobody's telling him he has to.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,442

In non-Covid/Brexit "news". I am using Mrs RP doing other things for a pre-Christmas Bond film. A View to a Kill was the next one in line. I have a sad affection for the John Glen movies, absurd as an increasingly aged Bond looked as he battled baddies and arthritis to pull girls younger than his own daughter.

Glorious fun of the kind that the current franchise doesn't seem to understand.

It did have Christopher Walken playing a psychopath - that man could chew scenery with such gusto.

Part of the tension in the recent version of Man On Fire is that you have Walken playing an ex-black ops guy whose friend gets in to trouble. You spend most of the film waiting for Walken to fire up his inner Zorin and start slaughtering....
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,577

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Na, they did so well in the first wave that being slightly worse than that is still very good.
    Indeed. Germany currently at 282 deaths per million (cf. UK = 954) according to Worldometer

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    The UK position doesn't look as unusual anymore. Perhaps other countries have been revising up their tallies recently.
    HYUFD said:

What's a 'bilateral visit' as opposed to a, er... visit?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,338

RobD said:

Two observations:

How do you stand down from that post and stay alive? He's there till he hangs up his boots.

RobD said:

Two observations:

He's a politician, and wants to be popular?
    rcs1000 said:

@YBarddCwsc

In the 1960s, Welsh GDP was twice that of the Republic of Ireland. Now in the 2020s, the economy of the Republic of Ireland is four times that of Wales.

You know, that's true of practically everywhere. And it's also a bit misleading.

For a start, Irish GDP contains a lot of Euros/Pounds/Dollars that doesn't go anywhere near real people. Pharmaceutical companies routing pills through Ireland boosts GDP but does very little for the man on a bus in Kerry. (Irish GDP is now almost TWICE that of the UK on a per capita basis -$42k vs $78k.)

Didn't Ireland's GDP go up by something like 10% recently because of something to do with plane leasing?
    rcs1000 said:

@YBarddCwsc

Ireland is one of the best examples if you want to explain the difference between GDP and GNP.
    edited December 2020
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

Two observations:

How do you stand down from that post and stay alive? He's there till he hangs up his boots.
    Possibly. But he hardly has to do an endless drudge of meetings on rail infrastructure and the like.

Maybe he just a really boring bureaucrat at heart.

PS If anyone's asking, my real name is Annie Nonimous and I live in Borchester.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,442

RobD said:

Two observations:

The problem with riding a tiger.......

HYUFD said:

Meeting of heads of government, I suppose.
  • DavidL said:

RobD said:

Two observations:

Gorby is still around, but then he wasn't a total **** on his way up, or when he was up.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    HYUFD said:
    With Trump on the way out Bozo is having to look elsewhere for arseholes to cosy up to.

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Two observations:

Possibly. But he hardly has to do an endless drudge of meetings on rail infrastructure and the like.

Maybe he just a really boring bureaucrat at heart.

PS If anyone's asking, my real name is Annie Nonimous and I live in Borchester.
    Just stay away from the door handles.
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed. Germany currently at 282 deaths per million (cf. UK = 954) according to Worldometer

The UK position doesn't look as unusual anymore. Perhaps other countries have been revising up their tallies recently.

Someone on here posted months ago that all major developed countries would likely end up in a smiliar space.

If so, Germany is about to have a very torrid time.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Andy_JS said:

Yes, barely mentioned in such minor outlets as the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55273817
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,084
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Headline on ITV Wales news

Public support for the Welsh Government handling of covid collapses

Will be interesting to see if that’s reflected in the next Welsh barometer poll.

It’s obvious that people have lost love for Welsh Labour, but so far they haven’t quite worked out who to turn to instead.
    Do you think there's a chance of polarisation on constitutional lines happening? Abolish the parliament versus independence.
    No. Because only a few fruitcakes on either side in Wales want either option. The question in constitutional terms is more powers first vs. competent governance first. But that frankly is a secondary issue to the problems in public services, rampant corruption and a fragile, unstable economy.
    You have certainly given a very accurate diagnosis of endemic and intractable problems facing Wales in that last line.

The question is whether any of those problems are related to Wales' constitutional status.

Why is that ? Why has an independent Ireland prospered mightily, whereas a Wales tied to Westminster become more and more impoverished ?

And is the pauperization of Wales related to the behaviour of the Westminster parties ?
    No. And no. The problem in Wales is simple. It relied for its brief burst of prosperity on extraction of natural resources and heavy industry from that. The former became impracticable and the latter then became uneconomic (although Wales still does of course have a large steel industry).

When these went, its location and geographic limitations (being bloody hilly makes transport hard) made it unattractive to investment. That is despite the fact that a very great deal of hard work was put in by the then Tory government (working, uncharacteristically, with the unions) to try and persuade major firms to set up shop there.

That would (and did) happen regardless of who was in charge. Ireland, meanwhile, on the main route between Europe and America with strong links to both was able to prosper.

Does that mean it will always be this way? No. In an age when renewable energy is king, Wales, as one vast potential power station, could easily come into its own again.

But that DOES - to contradict myself - depend on half decent public services and a stable political and governmental system, which right now it hasn’t got.
    There is a reason why there are so very few Welsh Americans, but there are many more Scottish Americans and many, many more Irish Americans.

Immigration is a sign that a country is poor, that the indigenous population cannot survive in its native land, that people see better economic prospects and greater prosperity elsewhere.

For much of recent history -- not just "a brief burst" -- Wales was MORE prosperous than Scotland and Ireland.

There was a time when Glamorgan was the richest county in England & Wales & Scotland. It was richer than Surrey and richer than Hampshire.

Wales has been made poor by the Westminster governments -- and the endless draining of resources from these islands to the great, selfish, wheedling, caterwauling, monster that is London & the South East of England.

Wales is a colony. Colonial economies are not run to make the indigenous population wealthy. The economy is run to make outsiders rich. That is e.g., why the Welsh economy has seen little benefit from the numerous wind-farms or renewables. There will be no great renaissance from greening the Welsh economy as long as the current regime persists.

The Republic of Ireland is becoming wealthier because it -- admittedly -- is a corporate tax haven.

The RoI has the freedom to undercut the corporation tax of neighbouring countries because it is independent. As long as the money from the US corporations is invested to reduce such dependence long term, as long as it is invested in the education of the population and in its public service infrastructure, I have no great problem with what the RoI is doing.

In fact, I'd be far, far happier with Wales following the path of the RoI than being a crying, cringing, abominable hyena, whining at the ashcans for another titbit from London.
    You make a convincing argument.

I'm a firm believer in self determination. I don't see much evidence the Welsh want to take responsibility for themselves so I can imagine us in the future if the Scots and NI go having a country like the Cricket 🏏 team - officially England and Wales but people just say England most of the time.

If the Welsh did decide to move on from England I'd be surprised but have no sadness.
    Much as I oppose Scottish independence and Irish unity, Scotland an Northern Ireland at least have the argument they voted Remain while England voted Leave, Wales voted Leave just like England so has no complaints as far as Brexit is concerned.

Wales also could not survive as a prosperous economy outside both the UK and the EU, it has no major financial services industry or oil industry for starters
    "**** business", your Prime Minister famosly said. It would do better independent from control by such a mentality.
    No evidence it did and still he is far better for business than the over regulating, over taxing Sturgeon

RobD said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Someone on here posted months ago that all major developed countries would likely end up in a smiliar space.

And things are due to get a bit better in Italy and Belgium? I will believe when I see it. Italy in particular is having a very difficult time.

I suspect that some of the "dry timber" that was lost in the UK and many other western countries in the spring but protected in the likes of Germany have been exposed this time around.
  • Scott_xP said:
    That's terrifying? Rather slapstick more like.

If you want a terrifying public information campaign check out Victoria's TAC anti drink driving campaign. I grew up watching these and they absolutely pull no punches. Ran heavily over Christmas period especially.

https://youtu.be/Z2mf8DtWWd8

I still get chills from John Lennon's Happy Christmas (war is over) from this ad campaign when I was 15:
    https://youtu.be/_cP5IMefEm8
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

@YBarddCwsc

Ireland is one of the best examples if you want to explain the difference between GDP and GNP.
    Is GNP the same as GNI?

Ireland's GNI per capita is still 50% higher than the UK's

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Two observations:

Gorby is still around, but then he wasn't a total **** on his way up, or when he was up.
    And not nearly so psychopathic. There must be a lot of people who would want revenge from Putin.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,021
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

And things are due to get a bit better in Italy and Belgium? I will believe when I see it. Italy in particular is having a very difficult time.

I suspect that some of the "dry timber" that was lost in the UK and many other western countries in the spring but protected in the likes of Germany have been exposed this time around.
    Italy have announced 846 deaths today (528 last Tuesday). This is odd considering that cases have steadily declined over the last month. I guess there may be some extra deaths added into today's total.
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Is it not more just meeting one head of government, as opposed, for example to a bean feast in Brussels (when we still went to that sort of thing)?
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Is it not more just meeting one head of government, as opposed, for example to a bean feast in Brussels (when we still went to that sort of thing)?
    Ah yes, I wasn't clear. By heads of government I meant the two.
  • tlg86 said:

I see Germany has passed 800 deaths announced today compared with 16,258 cases three weeks earlier. Last Tuesday they announced 622 deaths compared with 16,206 cases three weeks before. I wonder just how bad things are going to get there over the next few weeks.

Germany has more followed the Eastern European pattern rather than the Western European pattern for covid.

So mildly hit in the spring but much harder, perhaps exacerbated by complacency, in the autumn.
    The prevention paradoxon in action. The less damage incurred during the first wave, the less vigilant you may become (relatively) in the second one. Our serious lockdown (tomorrow) is a couple of months late.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    People rely on bots to tell them who is trustworthy or not?
    Machines are better at everything, including judging people. Or they will be one day.

Based on a sample size of two, being named Donald Trump is sufficient evidence for the machines to judge them untrustworthy.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,180

tlg86 said:

The prevention paradoxon in action. The less damage incurred during the first wave, the less vigilant you may become (relatively) in the second one. Our serious lockdown (tomorrow) is a couple of months late.
    Yes I think so, while the UK has suffered from idiots in charge who can't organise a piss up in a brewery. You should be thankful Germany has competent people at the top.

HYUFD said:

You're expected to achieve something.
  • RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

To a degree, but to keep things in perspective, our second wave (13k) has exceeded our first wave (9k), but is still less than your second wave (~25k) or your first one (~40k).
  • HYUFD said:
    With Trump on the way out Bozo is having to look elsewhere for arseholes to cosy up to.
    Hopefully his visit to India as PM will be not be the PR disaster that his visit to India as Foreign Secretary was.

Two observations:

It's been 20 years, he should just go full Tsar already, you know he wants to.
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Italy, Spain, the UK and France are all currently around the 1,000 deaths per million mark +-10%.

Belgium is definitely in a different space (1,555 death per million) currently, not sure why - was there something about the way deaths are recorded in Belgium being different?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

To a degree, but to keep things in perspective, our second wave (13k) has exceeded our first wave (9k), but is still less than your second wave (~25k) or your first one (~40k).
    One thing that has stayed constant throught this pandemic is the degree of chicken counting from every corner of the globe.
  • DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

@YBarddCwsc

2017 GDP per head (EU28=100)

Luxemburg 253
    Ireland 181
    Germany 124
    UK 105
    France 104
    Italy 96
    Spain 92
    Poland 70

2017 Consumption per head (EU28=100)

Luxemburg 132
    Germany 122
    UK 114
    France 108
    Italy 98
    Ireland 93
    Spain 89
    Poland 76

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumptionperhead/2018#:~:text=1.,, Germany, Austria and Denmark.
  • A Brexit deal will be good for us all, let's hope we get one for all our sakes.
    kle4 said:

Two observations:

Are his children active in politics?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

HYUFD said:
    Plenty of scope for a "Road to Mandalay" type diplomatic incident from Boris to crash a post Brexit trade deal with India.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,180

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

The European second wave is far from over. In terms of the death rate the vaccine roll out is going to be the biggest factor in getting it under control, it's clear that lockdowns are losing their effectiveness across all European countries, people have just had enough of living half lives, especially around this time of year when they are out with their friends and family.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited December 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    The now inevitable orange jump suit will match his complexion.
  • MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Yes I think so, while the UK has suffered from idiots in charge who can't organise a piss up in a brewery. You should be thankful Germany has competent people at the top.
    I would agree that our leadership has proven a little bit more competent overall, but the delay of the real, serious lockdown shows that our federalist system can sometimes be a disadvantage. The prevarication we are currently suffering from, was a result of the powerplay between the minister presidents (and their governmnets) in the Bundesländer. Those of a more lockdown-sceptic inclination have slowed down the reaction of the whole system.
    O/T an utterly depressing piece from the BBC about Scottish drug deaths. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48853004

The worst in Europe and getting worse still.
    edited December 2020

tlg86 said:

Bosnia Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Montenegro, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaris, Armenia, Croatia, Moldov, and Poland...

All have death rates in the range 600 to 1,100 per million, so I am not sure there is much of an Eastern European pattern tbh.
    DavidL said:

O/T an utterly depressing piece from the BBC about Scottish drug deaths. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48853004

That first chart is horrific.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,769

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

In Leicester, our second wave* is worse than the first in terms of admissions.

*arguably we are on our third...
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Two observations:

Wikipedia says one of his chidlren is a pediatric endochrinologist and 'is credited to be Putin's advisor in genetic engineering, especially in the usage of CRISPR to create genetically-engineered babies.' Yikes. The other is statedto be an acrobatic rock'n'roll dancer, and a billionaire. And apparently was 'appointed head of a new artificial intelligence institute at Moscow State University'.

Multi talented group. Never too late to introduce them into politics, and Bashar Al Assad had been an optometrist, so it's easy to make a switch.

But maybe he'll go more Roman Emperor - he can adopt Medvedev as his son.
    DavidL said:

Truly tragic.

Does anyone know what the figures for England, Wales are NI are?
  • MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

The European second wave is far from over. In terms of the death rate the vaccine roll out is going to be the biggest factor in getting it under control, it's clear that lockdowns are losing their effectiveness across all European countries, people have just had enough of living half lives, especially around this time of year when they are out with their friends and family.
    I think it's a mixed picture. For some countries the second wave seems to be over, or at least approaching it. Those countries better prepare for the third one. I agree that it will take probably a year until the vaccination is making a substantial impact.

On the effect of lockdown measures, I do agree that compliance has declined. Which means you have to demand more than the last time to achieve the same result.

DavidL said:

Truly tragic.

It says in that piece that the Scottish figure is more than 3.5x that of England and Wales. Which I must say I find bewildering.
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

@YBarddCwsc

Didn't Ireland's GDP go up by something like 10% recently because of something to do with plane leasing?
    I can't remember if it was plane leasing, but it effectively added a chunk to the capital stock of Ireland PLC increasing GDP by some massive number.

As @DavidL points out, Ireland is a great example of the difference between GNP and GDP.
  • tlg86 said:

Bosnia Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Montenegro, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaris, Armenia, Croatia, Moldov, and Poland...

All have death rates in the range 600 to 1,100 per million, so I am not sure there is much of an Eastern European pattern tbh.
    They're getting many more deaths now than they did in the spring:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/macedonia/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/bosnia-and-herzegovina/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/slovenia/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/czech-republic/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/hungary/
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 823
    DavidL said:

Scotland nearly four times as bad as the UK as a whole, which actually means that about a third of the UK's deaths are Scottish, and that therefore Scotland is six times as bad as the rest of the UK. Utterly depressing indeed.

Two observations:

Smiling in Russia is seen as a sign of insincerity. They can appear a bit hostile, but actually Russians are a welcoming bunch.
    DavidL said:

It doesn't seem to explain why Scotland is doing so much worse than anyone, even if other places are undercounting.
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

I don't think it's just that, it's also the fact that when CV19 wave one hit, spring was just beginning, and people were naturally spending more time outside. (It was the most fortuitous of all the times for an infectious disease to hit). This time, it's smacking us at a time when our amount of inside time is still increasing. Most countries have also - in the second wave - attempted to keep schools open. (Germany did not close theirs in the second wave, and that will have had a big impact.)
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Also we have about 20% more inhabitants than the UK does.
  • kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Two observations:

Wikipedia says one of his chidlren is a pediatric endochrinologist and 'is credited to be Putin's advisor in genetic engineering, especially in the usage of CRISPR to create genetically-engineered babies.' Yikes. The other is statedto be an acrobatic rock'n'roll dancer, and a billionaire. And apparently was 'appointed head of a new artificial intelligence institute at Moscow State University'.

Multi talented group. Never too late to introduce them into politics, and Bashar Al Assad had been an optometrist, so it's easy to make a switch.

But maybe he'll go more Roman Emperor - he can adopt Medvedev as his son.
    Apparently he's also just had twin sons to his "secret" mistress
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Truly tragic.

It says in that piece that the Scottish figure is more than 3.5x that of England and Wales. Which I must say I find bewildering.
    Scotland does seem to be disasterously bad but plotting the numbers against each country's mean geographic latitude would produce a strong correlation interestingly.

Is there a (lack of) vitamin D contributor? Or is life just tough up north?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,459
    Gaussian said:

DavidL said:

Scotland nearly four times as bad as the UK as a whole, which actually means that about a third of the UK's deaths are Scottish, and that therefore Scotland is six times as bad as the rest of the UK. Utterly depressing indeed.
    In Scotland it is any death which might have drugs associated with it - and coroners or inquests are not involved (ie no opportunity for the family barrister or jury to pass a 'compassionate' verdict). So it tends to err on the inclusive side compared to some other countries. Still, I don't think that explains more than a fraction of the difference.
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

It doesn't seem to explain why Scotland is doing so much worse than anyone, even if other places are undercounting.
    No. A lot of the deaths seem to go back to the trainspotting generation who first got addicted in the late 80's and 90's whose bodies are now giving out.

We really desperately need to try something else and the Portugal model looks the most promising.
  • MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

I think it's a mixed picture. For some countries the second wave seems to be over, or at least approaching it. Those countries better prepare for the third one. I agree that it will take probably a year until the vaccination is making a substantial impact.

On the effect of lockdown measures, I do agree that compliance has declined. Which means you have to demand more than the last time to achieve the same result.
    Its impossible to demand more as in the spring the schools were shut.

And now the young know they are at sod all risk as well.

So we are well into the law of diminishing marginal lockdown returns.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Will be interesting to see if that’s reflected in the next Welsh barometer poll.

It’s obvious that people have lost love for Welsh Labour, but so far they haven’t quite worked out who to turn to instead.
    Do you think there's a chance of polarisation on constitutional lines happening? Abolish the parliament versus independence.
    No. Because only a few fruitcakes on either side in Wales want either option. The question in constitutional terms is more powers first vs. competent governance first. But that frankly is a secondary issue to the problems in public services, rampant corruption and a fragile, unstable economy.
    You have certainly given a very accurate diagnosis of endemic and intractable problems facing Wales in that last line.

The question is whether any of those problems are related to Wales' constitutional status.

Why is that ? Why has an independent Ireland prospered mightily, whereas a Wales tied to Westminster become more and more impoverished ?

And is the pauperization of Wales related to the behaviour of the Westminster parties ?
    No. And no. The problem in Wales is simple. It relied for its brief burst of prosperity on extraction of natural resources and heavy industry from that. The former became impracticable and the latter then became uneconomic (although Wales still does of course have a large steel industry).

When these went, its location and geographic limitations (being bloody hilly makes transport hard) made it unattractive to investment. That is despite the fact that a very great deal of hard work was put in by the then Tory government (working, uncharacteristically, with the unions) to try and persuade major firms to set up shop there.

That would (and did) happen regardless of who was in charge. Ireland, meanwhile, on the main route between Europe and America with strong links to both was able to prosper.

Does that mean it will always be this way? No. In an age when renewable energy is king, Wales, as one vast potential power station, could easily come into its own again.

But that DOES - to contradict myself - depend on half decent public services and a stable political and governmental system, which right now it hasn’t got.
    There is a reason why there are so very few Welsh Americans, but there are many more Scottish Americans and many, many more Irish Americans.

Immigration is a sign that a country is poor, that the indigenous population cannot survive in its native land, that people see better economic prospects and greater prosperity elsewhere.

For much of recent history -- not just "a brief burst" -- Wales was MORE prosperous than Scotland and Ireland.

There was a time when Glamorgan was the richest county in England & Wales & Scotland. It was richer than Surrey and richer than Hampshire.

Wales has been made poor by the Westminster governments -- and the endless draining of resources from these islands to the great, selfish, wheedling, caterwauling, monster that is London & the South East of England.

Wales is a colony. Colonial economies are not run to make the indigenous population wealthy. The economy is run to make outsiders rich. That is e.g., why the Welsh economy has seen little benefit from the numerous wind-farms or renewables. There will be no great renaissance from greening the Welsh economy as long as the current regime persists.

The Republic of Ireland is becoming wealthier because it -- admittedly -- is a corporate tax haven.

The RoI has the freedom to undercut the corporation tax of neighbouring countries because it is independent. As long as the money from the US corporations is invested to reduce such dependence long term, as long as it is invested in the education of the population and in its public service infrastructure, I have no great problem with what the RoI is doing.

In fact, I'd be far, far happier with Wales following the path of the RoI than being a crying, cringing, abominable hyena, whining at the ashcans for another titbit from London.
    I think the problems started for Wales when people were allowed to go on European ski holidays. With strong leadership (and the banning of ski holidays) prosperity will be restored to Wales.
    The problems started for everyone when people were allowed to go on European ski holidays,

Everyone is so white, so rich, so upper middle-class ... so diverse.

And the bloody skiiers caused Patient Zero in a dozen European countries with their stupid, whiny holidays.

We should bill the cost of the pandemic to every last wanker who went skiing in the Winter & Spring last year.
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 823

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Truly tragic.

Scotland does seem to be disasterously bad but plotting the numbers against each country's mean geographic latitude would produce a strong correlation interestingly.

Yep, all the Scandinavian countries near the top. But they're mostly north of Scotland ...
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

You make a convincing argument.

I'm a firm believer in self determination. I don't see much evidence the Welsh want to take responsibility for themselves so I can imagine us in the future if the Scots and NI go having a country like the Cricket 🏏 team - officially England and Wales but people just say England most of the time.

If the Welsh did decide to move on from England I'd be surprised but have no sadness.
    Much as I oppose Scottish independence and Irish unity, Scotland an Northern Ireland at least have the argument they voted Remain while England voted Leave, Wales voted Leave just like England so has no complaints as far as Brexit is concerned.

Wales also could not survive as a prosperous economy outside both the UK and the EU, it has no major financial services industry or oil industry for starters
    "**** business", your Prime Minister famosly said. It would do better independent from control by such a mentality.
    No evidence it did and still he is far better for business than the over regulating, over taxing Sturgeon
    Just look at what every single business organizatiuon has to say about Brexit and your incompetent party pretending to run the UK.
  • eristdoof said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Also we have about 20% more inhabitants than the UK does.
    Yes, and when you use the ONS numbers you have to add another 20k to the UK's tally, of course.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

I don't think it's just that, it's also the fact that when CV19 wave one hit, spring was just beginning, and people were naturally spending more time outside. (It was the most fortuitous of all the times for an infectious disease to hit). This time, it's smacking us at a time when our amount of inside time is still increasing. Most countries have also - in the second wave - attempted to keep schools open. (Germany did not close theirs in the second wave, and that will have had a big impact.)
    "It was the most fortuitous of all the times for an infectious disease to hit" not really, it explains why it was high in March and April, and then was brought under control in May and June. The most fortuitous of times would have been it coming to Europe in April rather than February when it would wtill have spread, but at much lower levels.
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

No. A lot of the deaths seem to go back to the trainspotting generation who first got addicted in the late 80's and 90's whose bodies are now giving out.

We really desperately need to try something else and the Portugal model looks the most promising.
    There is some interesting work in Glasgow, but the UK government is being pretty reactionary and has got into a fight with the Scottish Gmt over what can and can't be permitted, which has rather distracted matters from what I can see.
    edited December 2020
    Foxy said:

Two observations:

Smiling in Russia is seen as a sign of insincerity. They can appear a bit hostile, but actually Russians are a welcoming bunch.
    Fair point, but...

Personally I think he is looking really glum because his office is so crap. It looks like the inside of a Portakabin to me. :smile:
  • Looks like the Christmas 'relaxation' will still take place in England

But watch out for lockdown 3.0 starting 28 Dec, will be announced 21 Dec. London rate will be up to 500/100,000 7 day rate by then
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited December 2020

Scott_xP said:
    That's terrifying? Rather slapstick more like.

If you want a terrifying public information campaign check out Victoria's TAC anti drink driving campaign. I grew up watching these and they absolutely pull no punches. Ran heavily over Christmas period especially.

https://youtu.be/Z2mf8DtWWd8

I still get chills from John Lennon's Happy Christmas (war is over) from this ad campaign when I was 15:
    https://youtu.be/_cP5IMefEm8
    Very effective.

This one stuck in my mind for years;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J5PuYLHFtWI
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    So the Government's position on Christmas is now:

Here are the rules. Please ignore them and follow the advice.
    Foxy said:

Two observations:

That may well be true, but I suspect his personal lack of smiling is indicative of something other than a welcoming attitude.

Er, which government?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

I think that is exactly right and I also think that is why the Government's modelling presupposes that the worst will very much be over by the end of March. Not only should vaccines (hopefully) have started taking an effect by then but also the weather will be improving (but in this country who can say). Not only will vaccines bring matters under control but the ability to socialise outside will undoubtedly help too.

Not only do you have to model the virus but also human behaviour. It's all very well berating the populace as being idiots to a man (or woman) but it misses the point that, as a group, human behaviour can be modelled. There has been precious little of that so far as I can see. We put a lot of store by the social science that studies how people interact with value (economics) but regard the social sciences that model how we interact with one another, like anthropology, social phsychology and sociology (the latter discipline being best known as being the butt of a joke in the 80s Maureen Lipman BT advert) as being slightly suspect lefty crap. Which is baffling to me.
    Should have had the evidence in a bit sooner then, Mr President, maybe all those court cases wouldn't have been lost.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

There is some interesting work in Glasgow, but the UK government is being pretty reactionary and has got into a fight with the Scottish Gmt over what can and can't be permitted, which has rather distracted matters from what I can see.
    It's weird in that what the Scot Gov is proposing that is outside its powers I broadly agree with but what they are doing with the powers they have I broadly disagree with.

I agree wit @DavidL though that the Portugal model is by far the most sensible of the options available.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Truly tragic.

Vitamin D deficiency is extremely common in Scotland and can cause a number of health issues including depression. I fear that a lot of drug use and overdoses are driven by the shockingly poor state of our mental health services which result in "self medication" for those who find life too hard to face.

An anecdotal example is a man who one of my daughters knew who left a locked ward in early February. In November, whilst still waiting for his follow up appointment, he threw himself off a building. He was using drugs and will no doubt be in this year's statistics.

Its a highly negative circle. There is a great reluctance in the NHS to treat "druggies" and yet the Venn diagram of those with mental health and drug problems is very close to total overlap.
  • kle4 said:

Should have had the evidence in a bit sooner then, Mr President, maybe all those court cases wouldn't have been lost.
    I think his second sentence is completely accurate ;)
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    eristdoof said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

"It was the most fortuitous of all the times for an infectious disease to hit" not really, it explains why it was high in March and April, and then was brought under control in May and June. The most fortuitous of times would have been it coming to Europe in April rather than February when it would wtill have spread, but at much lower levels.
    Aren't the Italians now saying it came in November?
    Possibly the worst time and place.
    Into a skiing area in time for the season. Spread to the reasonably healthy and wealthy, who seeded it across Europe unnoticed during the darkest, coldest months when everyone was indoors and unaware.
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I wonder how muich is complications of hepatitis, HIV etc. There was a shop in the Pubic Triangle area of Edinburgh which sold clean needles but a Chief Constable insisted that it be closed down about that sort of time, with predictable results.
    None of that "evidence" has made it to court curiously....
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,050

tlg86 said:

Kind of, but I think Germany is a bit different: it had early cases and outbreaks, but there was enough testing happening to keep it low until lockdown. Many Eastern European countries didn't get cases until weeks later when things were already being locked down. And then summer started coming.

I don't see a great display of competence by the German government, though some of the shambles seen sometimes in the UK was avoided. And at least people weren't forever claiming everything was "world-beating" even when it looked like Germany was doing a bit better than some its neighbours.

The big early testing capacity was a natural consequence of the very decentralised health system.
    I expect the more centralised NHS to do a better job of getting millions of people vaccinated, because it's something where a piecemeal approach isn't going to work so well. If so, people might start asking questions about aspects of how health is organised here.
  • Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I think the Scottish government/SNP have been pretty weedy on this. They should really be pushing the constitutional envelope and acting unilaterally when they think it necessary, telling HMG to foxtrot oscar when push comes to shove. As DavidL suggests, 2/3 of last year’s deaths were men aged 35-55; if nothing else it’s a big clue on who they should be targeting.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited December 2020
    More convinced than ever tonight that a prolonged lockdown is coming shortly after Christmas. Seems virtually inevitable. I would expect something akin to April plus schools until at least mid-February, and it might drag on all the way to Easter.

Most of the medical profession already appears to be in a state of complete panic over the Christmas break, and no wonder. Covid has been going on for nearly a year now and everybody has had more than enough of it. I've heard it suggested that the decline in cases started to level off halfway through the second lockdown as adherence waned; there will be more than enough people who will ignore the Government's rules altogether to guarantee a massive spike in transmission over Christmas and a deluge of new patients swamping the healthcare system early in the New Year.

The authorities face a complete no-win scenario here. If they stick with their Christmas plans then they'll be blamed for the consequences; however, if they attempt to cancel Christmas then it might help to reduce the height of the January tsunami wave a little, but it won't stop it because of a combination of lack of compliance and the extreme contagiousness of the virus. When Lockdown 3.0 inevitably commences, the people who didn't bother to follow the rules over Christmas will feel vindicated, those who did will feel like mugs, and an awful lot of people (perhaps a majority) will conclude that all these restrictions aren't worth the paper they're printed on, and come both to resent and to increasingly disregard them.

The most frightened and those with the means to do so will do their best to shield given their circumstances; it'll go like a dose of salts through the rest of the population.

The only thing, in the end, that will finally stop this disease in its tracks is widespread immunisation and warm weather, and neither of those is going to be forthcoming until April at the earliest. The first three months of 2021 are going to be worse than 2020, as the hospitals buckle under the strain and mass unemployment arrives with the final closure of thousands and thousands of forcibly shuttered businesses. It's going to be absolutely bloody terrible.

Still, silver linings: who gives a flying fuck about Brexit anymore? Certainly not me.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,815
    RobD said:

Two observations:

And they are likely as bored of him. As am I.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,510
    edited December 2020

But they promised to save xmas. It said so, in big letters all over the newspapers.

Edit: Minutes after posting the Sun shows its front page and its all about Johnson saving xmas.

Unbe-bloody-believable.
  • So the Government's position on Christmas is now:

But they promised to save xmas. It said so, in big letters all over the newspapers.
    Seriously: Who cares?

Does anyone? Hand on heart honestly give a shit what newspapers months ago said?

We have a vaccine now. Getting the virus now is like going over the top in autumn 1918.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,815

RobD said:

Two observations:

Fear of what happens to him should he relinquish power.
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

I wonder how muich is complications of hepatitis, HIV etc. There was a shop in the Pubic Triangle area of Edinburgh which sold clean needles but a Chief Constable insisted that it be closed down about that sort of time, with predictable results.
    PS Memmory may be wrong, on checking - shop may have closed for other reasons, but the polis certainly were not happy about it.
This discussion has been closed.