Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In the betting a “deal” moves to a 72% chance following positive vibes from the talks – politicalbet

1235»

Comments

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rpjs said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

MikeL said:

The Wisconsin Republican electors are meeting today, voting for Trump and sending their certificate in to Congress for counting on January 6th.

Now we know Congress will reject that certificate - because the Democrats control the House and at least five Republican Senators have said they accept Biden as the winner.

But if the Republicans controlled both Houses and all their Congressmen were united then they absolutely could vote to accept the Wisconsin certificate of votes for Trump.

I haven't followed the debate re Betfair closely - but even now couldn't they say "Well two certificates have gone to Congress for Wisconsin - we don't yet know which certificate they will accept"

I'm not sure whether Republican electors for PA, MI and GA are also sending their own certificates to Congress.

Irrespective of this election, there is surely now a massive problem going forward in that if one Party controls both Houses they can ensure their candidate wins the Presidency (if Party united in doing so). So should Biden try to reform the Electoral Count Act?

PA GOP have been reported as doing the same.
    And GA too: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republican-electors-pennsylvania-georgia-vote-for-trump
    To be fair, there is precedent for this. In 1960 the result in Hawaii, the first time the newly-minted state participated in a Presidential election, was very close, initially going to Nixon, and was being recounted when the Electoral College met on December 19th of that year. Two sets of electors convened, one Republican and one Democratic. The Republican Governor of Hawaii certified the Republican results, but when the recount was complete it was shown that Kennedy had won the state's electors by just 115 votes. The courts ruled that the Governor should send a new certificate to that effect, and he finally did so on January 4th, just two days before the Electoral College vote count. Presented with two certificates, Nixon, as sitting VP and thus presiding officer of the count, awarded the votes to Kennedy and Johnson. There were no objections.
    Today I have learnt a fun factoid which I can now incessantly bore everyone with!
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053

Reports tonight that Merkel is in some difficulty especially over the delay in the vaccine while apparently the first German to be vaccinated has been in the UK

Europe is in a gathering crisis as member states see the roll out of the vaccine both here, in Canada and the US but not in the EU

If the Germans are unhappy with Merkel, and looking enviously across the Channel, can we do a contra deal with Germany please? Johnson for Mrs Merkel.
    You can have Merkel once a new German government is formed in about 12 months, but you can do what you like with Johnson, we're not gonna take him!
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,496
    edited December 2020
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1338545974168399878

Not the only one. Media starting to turn against 'Save Xmas' policy?
  • ydoethur said:

Despite 2020 being a big pile of poo.... the premier league table is a joy to behold.

For now.

Thank you.

I'm trying to bet on the double.

Spurs win the PL and Arsenal get relegated.
    Am I right in thinking Arsenal are the only club never to have been relegated from the current Premier League?
    No, off the top off my head, Liverpool, Everton, Manchester United, Spurs, Chelsea, and Arsenal have never been relegated from the Premier League.
    While the Baggies are trying to equal Norwich's record of 5 relegations.
    Don't remind me!!
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,760
    edited December 2020
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1338587454878736384

We need to lockdown now. This is October all over again.

It's weird - if they'd just extended lockdown to, say, now, then even though in actuality the cases would be rising again the lag would have meant it looked ok to have a Christmas hall pass.

If they were that set on Christmas, why not tell everyone 'Lockdown is being extended 2 more weeks, so you can have Christmas'?
    Shopping.
    Even though we've done it online already.

Given you can't meet people to give them personally, we have massively bought presents much earlier so we can post them out well ahead of Christmas.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    edited December 2020

Pretty sure I read that standard virology theory is that when a virus mutates to spread faster it is less fatal.

Pedant's corner... a virus doesn't mutate to do anything. It just happens.
    Just been notified by a chum:

"If your turkey weighs 792kg, you need to put it in the oven NOW."
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    This thread is done
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,978
    Gaussian said:

FF43 said:

Based on Scotland's relatively stable tier system.

• You need Tier 3 if you have medium (50-200 cases/100 000/week) and want to keep those rates steady
    Tier 4/lockdown if you have >200 cases cases/100 000/week and need to get them down quickly.

If you go to Tier 2, cases will rise and you will need to go back to Tier 3 a couple of weeks later (or Tier 4 if you leave it too long)

Tier 3 is the default at current compliance rates.
    Yep, except Edinburgh is currently trying to prove that even level 3 might not be sufficient. 65/week/100,000 at start of December, now over 100 and rising. Hopefully things will calm down after the Christmas shopping.
    It does depend on what people collectively do. Also real boondock places can manage quite happily on Tier 2 or even Tier 1. Still, Tier 3 by default is a fairly good rule of thumb. Good news in Scotland on Glasgow and Lanarkshire, which had stubbornly high case rates. Their spell in Tier 4, while presumably grim has brought the case rates down. Hopefully they will stay there under Tier 3.
  • https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1338587459811241985

Yet again, the Government has failed to learn from their mistakes.

The cases have never been low enough to consider exiting the lockdown. And yet they made this mistake twice!

Why do you never mention allowing foreign holidays ?
    Scott_xP said:
    Christmas is not in jeapordy. 25th December will still be Christmas.

Family gatherings may well be in jeapordy though. Rightly.
  • ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

I would be shocked if Johnson rowed back on Christmas. His libertarian instincts would make cancelling Christmas a big ask.
    Who says anything about cancelling it? Smaller, yes. And a good excuse not to have the in-laws around.
    I think Boris will stick with the Christmas arrangements although on the face of it, it is not a good idea.

A lot of people will be minimising arrangements, well within the guidance.

I am expecting a lockdown from 28 Dec, harder than the one we have just had, and we may need to keep it in place until end Feb. By end Feb hopefully a large proportion of the 65+ will have had their second vaccine so the exposure to deaths/hospitalisations will be much lower from March.

Also need to consider keeping schools 'online only' for first half term 2021 ie up to late Feb, I know it's not ideal.
    There is not a politician in the land who is in charge and who is willing to close schools.

It is insane shibboleth. Secondary teachers are close to total revolt.
    It's one of those inconvienient truths that the virus spreads very nicely indeed round schools.
    I mean, it is fairly clear that Primary Schools are not super spreader locations but Secondary schools are just the pits.

The insane thing is that the secondary teachers I have spoken too are confident that the kids are getting a worse education being back full time than they would be 50/50 because the total lack of interaction the Covid restrictions bring just destroys the point of being in full time.
    Is it clear? My daughter is in one local primary school and my wife works at another. Covid has ripped through both schools - at least half of each school's bubbles have been off at one time or another with half a dozen or so teachers.
    There is of course a difference between infections and transmission vectors.

I don’t have the recent data on primary schools to say how infectious they are. What is clear is that it’s storming through secondary schools like you can’t believe it. If the government enforced isolation in schools the way they do in the wider community half of all secondary schools would have had to shut this half term,
    We have had several cases, but so far no confirmed transmission within the school.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,098

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1338587459811241985

Yet again, the Government has failed to learn from their mistakes.

The cases have never been low enough to consider exiting the lockdown. And yet they made this mistake twice!

*Waves* from the SW.

Will be very disappointed if Dorset doesn't go down to T1 this week.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,117
    edited December 2020
    Scooped -- new fred.
  • Scott_xP said:
    Christmas is not in jeapordy. 25th December will still be Christmas.

Family gatherings may well be in jeapordy though. Rightly.
    I suspect the people most likely to have family gatherings will be the people who most likely should not.

But people are going to do what they want - covid boredom is too widespread.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873
    Wor Lass feeling quite urgh this evening. Possibly a side effect from the flu vaccine.
This discussion has been closed.