Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Leaver or Limpet – How long with Johnson lead? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethur said:

The other strategy Boris Johnson might be employing is that he's not giving his MPs enough time to read the deal.

Given it took the better part of a year for the ERG and other Brexiteers to realise what the Irish Backstop and the NI Protocol they had signed up to really meant.

Sounds pretty far fetched. When did Johnson ever have strategies?
    He doesn't have strategies to run the country.

But as a gang leader, which is what he needs to GBD, he's impressive.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,929

Since I'm on cullinarychat.com

I made lamb kofta meat Scotch eggs this weekend.

They were awesome.

My home made massaman curry was the talk of Stodge Towers this evening.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think people are seriously underpricing a no deal at this stage. We know what the problems are:

1. The EU wants full future alignment on major areas of regulation and law.
    2. Any breach of the above they want the ability to unilaterally suspend the entire trade deal on short notice with arbitration after suspension.
    3. The EU wants to keep 80% of fish in UK territorial water.

The UK position:

1. The UK wants freedom to set its regulations and laws as it sees fit.
    2. The UK says arbitration should come before tariffs or other retaliation (from either side) and it should be limited by what the arbitration panel deems fair.
    3. The UK wants to keep its own fish and sell it to EU countries/businesses on a commercial basis.

None of these three positions has changed very much at all on either side in the last year, I don't see why either side will budge tonight when they haven't for a year or more.

Fudge, lots of fudge.
    The problem for Boris (and the EU) is that he's out of a job if he fudges away 1 or 2 and his replacement isn't going to go for it either.

I hope there is a deal and both parties meet somewhere in the middle for these outstanding issues, but I just don't see it, the EU is getting high on its own supply and isn't going to compromise. It will inevitably lead to no deal as issues 1 and 2 are deal breakers.
    I think the EU are playing a long game, keep the UK close enough for a Labour government* to take us back into the single market and customs union.

*I wouldn't rule out a Tory government doing the same, 'We're building on Lady Thatcher's finest achievement, the single market.'
    That's possible but then they would already have acquiesced to points 1 and 2 then renegotiated with Labour in a few years to get closer alignment.

I really think that we're going to no deal and the EU are underestimating British resolve to "just get on with it" and once we have the powers/territory back from all points it is going to be a very brave government that signs them away to the EU again.
    The other EU strategy could be let us no deal and experience that for three months, I suspect the country will insist we sign up to any deal.

Those locals and mayorals in May might be like 1995 on speed. Add in the Scottish and Welsh elections...
    I just don't see it. I think there is much more resolve in the UK (especially England and Wales) to "make do". As TOPPING has pointed out many times, the result of no deal is more than likely going to end up as a few pennies/pounds on the price of a few things we buy in the shops. The world will keep turning and ultimately people will get on with life. If that's the strategy they are trying to use then they are being advised as badly as the Nazis being told by Edward VIII that Britain's resolve would break if they kept up the bombing campaign.
    Look at the evidence, Boris Johnson said he would die in a ditch than extend Article 50, he set the middle of October as a deadline for the talks.

He's done plenty to avoid no deal, deep down he knows how bad it will be.

The chances of an accidental no deal is pretty high than a deliberate no deal.
    Personally I think a way out of this is buying two years of "deal implementation period" which keeps the three contentious issues frozen for two more years for two years worth of contributions, in that time a new tariff agreement can be worked into the eventual trade deal and we can "implement" the other parts of the deal in theory while staying in the same state we are now.

That's the kind of fudge that would work, as long as it has "deal" in it and it kicks fish, LPF and governance down the road for two years while some serious prep work for customs and trusted trader schemes are done as part of the "deal implementation" stuff then I can see the MPs living with it.
    I like your can kicking fudge idea. 🙂.

Is it politically doable on the British side, not in terms of big majority in commons but in irrecoverable drift in public support. 38% of Tory support in polls is people who believed in Boris delivering brexit not fudging it.
  • Options

The other strategy Boris Johnson might be employing is that he's not giving his MPs enough time to read the deal.

Given it took the better part of a year for the ERG and other Brexiteers to realise what the Irish Backstop and the NI Protocol they had signed up to really meant.

The difficulty Johnson has now is Leaver skepticism. Any deal will be pored over with Brexiteer gusto, and whatever the deal, they won't like it.
    Is it not the case that everyone already knows that Hardcore ERG types are going to object to anything short of No Deal and that as such they have overplayed their hand. Almost anything can now be portrayed as them being unwilling to accept any deal.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeL said:

Haven't seen any comments on this but Republican in Pennsylvania has appealed PA Supreme Court ruling to SCOTUS.

It's in Alito's territory - Alito originally requested evidence by 9th Dec (standard 6 day deadline) - ie after safe harbour deadline - but subsequently revised this to 9am on 8th Dec (he could have requested it much quicker if he had wanted to).

Anyway some kind of ruling may well be issued tomorrow - link:

https://reason.com/volokh/2020/12/06/circuit-justice-alito-walks-back-de-facto-denial-of-pennsylvania-emergency-appeal/

I suspect Alito's deliberations will do more to decide the fate of the US election than a thousand calls for Biden from CNN.
    You do know that Alito will duck this, right?
    Unless the Justices are so pissed off at Trump's abuse of the judicial system that they want the opportunity to throw it back in Trump's face with prejudice.
    That would be the right thing to do.

(The funny bit, of course, is that 2024 might be fought by a Trumpian candidate promising to pack the Court to get rid of all the lily livered liberals like ACB, Kavanaugh and Gorsuch.)
    It'd be funny if SCOTUS decertified the entire PA state legislature.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543

The difficulty Johnson has now is Leaver skepticism. Any deal will be pored over with Brexiteer gusto, and whatever the deal, they won't like it.
    So what? Labour are going to abstain or support any deal so Johnson can stand 50-80 rebels or more on his own side.
    Exactly so. He is not shackled to anyone. SKS has given him a blank cheque in the national interest (and commendations to him for doing so). He can present any deal he likes to the Commons and it will sail through. The remainer Parliament of 2017-19 is a distant and unpleasant memory. The question for him is what deal is not worse than no deal? Some would argue any deal, some would say that there is still a tipping point. I think he is genuinely in the latter camp.
  • Options

Not for the last 5 years plus. Aldi are just another supermarket when it comes to the majority of their products - they have a central buying team, stores are laid out to a "planogram" showing which product where and of how many facings. They do have food special buys but mostly in ambient in the centre aisle.

As for Aldi and the union flags, they are a great champion for British sourcing. But so many of those british made products use imported ingredients / packaging. Many of the shortages we saw earlier this year were because there was a national shortage of plastic film used to form the bag that so many kinds of product come in. Almost all of the raw plastic used by UK packaging producers is imported. As are foil trays for produce and fresh foods. And don't get me started on the supply situation for wooden pallets...

Can I ask a purely practical question? I have been very gradually building up supplies of food for the last 18 months (since Johnson became PM), and I reckon I have enough for 3-4 months. There are just 3 things which I don't have so much of:
    Milk
    Bread
    Root vegetables

I can't see any reason why those should be in short supply, but would be interested in what those more expert then me think?
    You can freeze milk and bread - we have a freezer dedicated to just that. And if you have a bread making machine, you can easily make bread from stockpiled flour. You can buy packs of ready-frozen vegetables. Not as good as fresh, admittedly, but a lot better than no veg.
    UHT milk. Keeps for ages at room temperature.
    Do you like the taste? I prefer to have cereal with no milk, and black coffee, than use UHT milk. I might get a few cartons for emergencies though.
    I mostly use it to make yoghurt to be honest.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

ydoethur said:

So the stage is set for Boris Johnson's München Munich moment.

"Peas in our time!"
    Oh, can it, William.
    Yeah, but he's broadly correct.
    Will BJ do a runner?

ydoethur said:

So the stage is set for Boris Johnson's München Munich moment.

"Peas in our time!"
    Oh, can it, William.
    Yeah, but he's broadly correct.
    Will BJ do a runner?
    He's half baked enough.
    Do me a fava and stop this terrible punning, pease.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nailed on. I think that the forecasts are something like 5% growth next year as we recover from Covid. Good luck to those who want to argue it would have been 6% with a better (any) deal.

My main reason for wanting a deal is that the idea of debating this ad nauseam is just too depressing for words.
    🤣. Even double digit growth won’t be debated next year, it will be wall to wall import export chaos!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited December 2020
    Would be ironic if covid self-isolation spoilt the chances of the big in-person meeting.
  • Options

Peter "Tebbit" Bone looking very chipper on Channel 4 News. "We've got total confidence that the Prime Minister won't come back from Brussels with a bad deal." Either he, Redwood and others are trying to box him in with friendly warnings, or they're genuinely confident Johnson will return with an Albania-style deal ( no deal ).

Boris's charm and guile could have easily won over those dimwits, albeit temporarily. He just needs a sufficient chunk of them to think he's done what they wanted until it's too late.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

So what? Labour are going to abstain or support any deal so Johnson can stand 50-80 rebels or more on his own side.
    Exactly so. He is not shackled to anyone. SKS has given him a blank cheque in the national interest (and commendations to him for doing so). He can present any deal he likes to the Commons and it will sail through. The remainer Parliament of 2017-19 is a distant and unpleasant memory. The question for him is what deal is not worse than no deal? Some would argue any deal, some would say that there is still a tipping point. I think he is genuinely in the latter camp.
    I expect he'll abstain - it does put all the pressure on Boris to actually get a deal now (Correctly). If Boris doesn't, well Starmer can hardly be blamed !
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

Nailed on. I think that the forecasts are something like 5% growth next year as we recover from Covid. Good luck to those who want to argue it would have been 6% with a better (any) deal.

My main reason for wanting a deal is that the idea of debating this ad nauseam is just too depressing for words.
    🤣. Even double digit growth won’t be debated next year, it will be wall to wall import export chaos!
    Probably, sigh. Every tray of fresh salad that goes to waste another talking point. I can hardly wait.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Labour should have folded to get May's original deal through parliament.
    But that's long gone.
    Boris now needs to fold to preserve UK industry.

What exactly are you referring to as industry?

So much of manufacturing is supply chain to assemblage in U.K. or EU?

Whatever happens this week, globalisation, deindustrialisation and post industrial ain’t going anywhere, our economy continuing to evolve so the future is services and retraining for that? How exactly are we doing now, and going forward v the EU on services? Particularly financial services that pays for government spending and allows us a generous NHS and Welfare State.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

Probably, sigh. Every tray of fresh salad that goes to waste another talking point. I can hardly wait.
    Look on the bright side, No Deal ensures a SNP majority in May, and well that might be the trigger for a UDI or Indyref2.

PB will be talking about that a lot.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    Well at least the tedium will soon be over. We’ll either get a triumphant fist pumping scene as the deal which most here see as impossible gets down. Or we’ll get an amusing Eyes down the Lens “no deal it is folks” speech.
  • Options

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

Look on the bright side, No Deal ensures a SNP majority in May, and well that might be the trigger for a UDI or Indyref2.

Regrettably Indyref2 is looking inevitable. Some people will not take no for an answer. If its not this it will be something else. The grievance machine grinds on remorselessly.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I expect he'll abstain - it does put all the pressure on Boris to actually get a deal now (Correctly). If Boris doesn't, well Starmer can hardly be blamed !
    Politically Sir Keir is in a strange situation. He has to say he wants a deal and has to do everything he can to support it, but it would be an absolute gift for him if Boris didn't get one.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

Regrettably Indyref2 is looking inevitable. Some people will not take no for an answer. If its not this it will be something else. The grievance machine grinds on remorselessly.
    If only someone had warned Leavers like you that Brexit made Scottish independence much more likely.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

General Indecision rides again! But that will probably be enough. Even in the current Tory party there are only about 80 nutters and the thick end of 280 pragmatists.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Well at least the tedium will soon be over. We’ll either get a triumphant fist pumping scene as the deal which most here see as impossible gets down. Or we’ll get an amusing Eyes down the Lens “no deal it is folks” speech.

Boris had to do the coffin-lid face thing when Dave resigned. I don't think he relished it much, which is why I'm fairly confident a deal will be struck.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

If only someone had warned Leavers like you that Brexit made Scottish independence much more likely.
    David has a point though that if it wasn't Brexit it would be something else.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

I suspect I'll be happy either way.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

It doesn't make it more likely. It just means we need to have the argument all over again. Which we would have had to have had at some point anyway. On the plus side anyone who argues a divorce from England will be straightforward will surely get laughed at, even in Scotland.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

And Scots would have laughed at the SNP grievance mongering if they tried to trigger Indyref2 because David Cameron said something rude to Angus Robertson.
  • Options
    That's got to be good for at least a week. Maybe 10 days.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

It doesn't make it more likely. It just means we need to have the argument all over again. Which we would have had to have had at some point anyway. On the plus side anyone who argues a divorce from England will be straightforward will surely get laughed at, even in Scotland.
    Nah, Scots just have to believe in Indy a bit harder.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

And Scots would have laughed at the SNP grievance mongering if they tried to trigger Indyref2 because David Cameron said something rude to Angus Robertson.
    The Scots in 2016 had Holyrood and all but three Westminster seats. Before Brexit.

They are professional grievance mongers with a platform, if it wasn't Brexit they would find something else.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

Nah, Scots just have to believe in Indy a bit harder.
    Sadly, for more than 40% of the population that is completely true. For another 40% it is truly laughable. The 20% in the middle will decide.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669
    Gaming news - Cyberpunk 2077 has got it's reviews out, it looks amazing. From the makers of The Witcher. I'm going to get it when the PS5 patch is out.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,565

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

People generally aren’t rude about Robertson, who has pretty wide respect across all parties.

And of course people can’t be rude about Blackford as what could you possibly say that’s worse than the truth?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

So will anyone bleating about the process for removing our EU citizenship or uncertainty or the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Brexit not even making minor headlines in Spain
  • Options

moonshine said:

I hope you remain happy, and many people with you.

No laughs now. This evening is chilling. Like the day Henry picked up the hunting wound that couldn’t heal no matter how much seaweed they packed into it.

What are the advantages disadvantages of being an MP? Augustus Melmotte spent plenty money finding out.

This is it. This is the end. Where the bad member goes down and dies.

The EU don’t want a deal. Their bottom line so high from the start. They are happy to rise from the table and walk away now.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,497

Is it not the case that everyone already knows that Hardcore ERG types are going to object to anything short of No Deal and that as such they have overplayed their hand. Almost anything can now be portrayed as them being unwilling to accept any deal.
    I wasn't suggesting the ERG have overplayed their hand. I was suggesting Johnson is now their hostage.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

There's always going to be something. It will no doubt be Westminster's fault that the SNP have completely destroyed the High Street economy. I am staying in Edinburgh again tonight. Locked down shops that may never re-open, dead pubs and restaurants with wooden windows. Utter devastation. All Boris's fault of course. Bound to be.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

moonshine said:

No laughs now. This evening is chilling. Like the day Henry picked up the hunting wound that couldn’t heal no matter how much seaweed they packed into it.

What are the advantages disadvantages of being an MP? Augustus Melmotte spent plenty money finding out.

The EU don’t want a deal. Their bottom line so high from the start. They are happy to rise from the table and walk away now.
    If the EU want to walk away then we can too. Takes two to tango.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252
    edited December 2020

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

So what, even if it does Boris will follow the Madrid line with Catalonia I understand and refuse to allow a lawful indyref2, urge all Unionists to boycott such a vote and ignore any UDI.

The Act of Union is clear that Westminster and Westminster alone is sovereign over Scotland, indeed Holyrood is merely a creation of Westminster and there can be no ending of the Act of Union without Westminster consent
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

moonshine said:

We hold all the cards!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

So what, even if it does Boris will follow the Madrid line I understand and refuse to allow a lawful indyref2, urge all Unionists to boycott such a vote and ignore any UDI.

The Act of Union is clear that Westminster and Westminster alone is sovereign over Scotland, indeed Holyrood is merely a creation of Westminster and there can be no ending of the Act of Union without Westminster consent
    It’s just as well all our nukes are already in Scotland.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,932

moonshine said:

I suspect you will.

You have out done HYUFD in your blind loyalty no matter what.

• Options

gealbhan said:

moonshine said:

We hold all the cards!
    Shame we’re playing Ludo.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

So what, even if it does Boris will follow the Madrid line with Catalonia I understand and refuse to allow a lawful indyref2, urge all Unionists to boycott such a vote and ignore any UDI.

If the Scots vote for independence they have a mandate to leave. No if's or buts, we English are not Spaniards and believe in democracy not Franco.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    TimT said:

Omnium said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

There were empty shelves because of panic buying. That's just the public for you I know what can you do but don't forget a lot of these people also voted for Brexit so we can't make any calls on their intelligence or common sense.

There were empty shelves then and there may very well be empty shelves again.

People called 999 when KFC ran short

Food shortages due to Brexit will not be met with stoicism
    How many people did? Did 17.4 million people call 999 due to KFC ?

The UK did react to food shortages with stoicism as recently as March. We got through it and life went on.
    I don't think you realise how hand to mouth - and how dependent on processed food - a lot of families are because of cash and time pressures. Not being able to get a pizza, for instance, can disrupt plans and routines. That is what is being ignored in the discussion, I think.
    given half the UK is being told to stay at home where are the time pressures ? You cant actually go anywhere much except the supermarket.
    People have to go to work and children to school. It's common to have a family with the children home and hungry at 5pm, and one adult not till 7, and so on ...

Meals such as pizzas and so on help a lot, but if they cannot be obtained reliably ... it will be interesting to see what happens.
    I take it you cant cook.

Knocking up a hot meal is a doddle whatever your budget.
    So long as you like risotto.

(The ultimate 50p meal.)
    couscous or noodles are the fastest thing youll cook aside from bread and wraps
    My favourite quick and cheap meal is an omelette. It is dead easy and if you do it right, a sophisticated dish.

Toast and marmite with scrambled eggs on top. A bit of cheese on top of the toast that melts on impact with the hot egg if you are feeling particularly sophisticated.

The better you cook your eggs the less need for cheese and marmite. Fantastic toast is the key, and some butter on the toast. Then perfectly cooked eggs. A hint of shaved cheese perhaps and the slightest taint of marmite on the buttering knife.

All this celebratory bake off crap and you can't buy a decent loaf of bread!

We need a blokeish bake-off. Bread for cheese and pickle sandwiches, bread for bacon sandwiches, buns for burgers, buns for hotdogs. Bread for pate, and we need to get the good pate's back for this bread.

I can cook faultless boiled eggs, time after time: whites set, yolks runny.

Food of the Gods.
    Although 'faultless' seems a boast, and although my boiled eggs are ok - I'm quite envious.
    Try this:

Use eggs that have been at room temperature for several hours; NEVER from the fridge.

Use large eggs (for anything smaller the timings will need to be reduced by some indeterminate amount!)

Large pan of water brought to a good boil.

Put 2-4 eggs into that boiling water for four and a half minutes. (More eggs than that and the timings might need slightly extending.) Turn off the heat and let them stand for another 30 seconds. Take them out, take the top off one to eat first and smash the tops of the others, to allow the heat out and stop them cooking.

Eat with dipping soldiers.
    Perhaps its from the fridge thing.

Do you have any insight on scrambled eggs? I'd say they would be my best hand in egg cookery - very slow, lots of butter, stirring madly.

Poached eggs - these are the eggs of god. I intend to keep trying.

Scrambled is the wife's forte. Wouldn't dare to tread on her toes there.

Poached eggs - just get a decent poacher. Don't ever try to cook them in a swirl of boiling water. Urgh.

You should investigate ' scrambled' yourself - buy loads of butter. Not omletting it is the key. It's a mans sort of egg dish anyway - best served very early to a sleepy girlfriend. You can even bugger up the toast if the scrambled eggs are right.

Poached - trust me this is the true way of the egg!

I'm far from good at poached eggs, but boiling water is too hot, and I'm not sure that swirling (or vinegar) helps. (edit: if I could get this right i'd be very happy)

Tomorrow morning I'm going to follow your plan with some eggs that are out of the fridge overnight.
    Pro tip for poached eggs: your water should be only just wobbling on the surface, def. not boiling. Lower your unbroken eggs into it for 30 seconds, then hoick them out again and break them into the water as usual. This boils the outer layer of white so they hold together better.
    That's very similar to me - except I use the intermediate step of breaking the eggs into a mug.
    I am taking that under advisement; your method may deliver a smoother transition than mine.
    Scrambled - beat the eggs lightly with heavy cream, a pinch of salt and ample white pepper. Do not overbeat - you want there to be some whitish bits in the finished product. Melt ample butter in small saucepan over medium heat, pour in custard mix, stir regularly with a straight-edged spatula so that nothing burns on the pan bottom, take off the heat when eggs are semi-solid to allow final cooking under residual heat. Stir in grated sharp cheddar until cheddar melts, and just before plating, chopped fresh chives. Serve on thick slabs of toasted and well-buttered sourdough/rustic bread. Cheap, quick and easy.
    Scrambled in my view, and I've worked on this a lot. Butter - start off with lots of it - heat a pan incredibly gently and stir the butter and the eggs. Add butter if it even slightly looks like you're done. Keep stirring incredibly gently. When the whole stirring crap seems daft then serve. (Next time you'll give it an extra stir)

Always open to new techniques. Will definitely give that a go.
    It does take ages. Like 20 mins rather than 3-4.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

So what, even if it does Boris will follow the Madrid line I understand and refuse to allow a lawful indyref2, urge all Unionists to boycott such a vote and ignore any UDI.

Sorry but you're an absolute roaster.

Anyone following the Madrid precedent is a fascist.

The Catalonia precedent is the equivalent of if on June 23rd 2016 the EU also had a referendum on whether to let the UK leave, and they said no.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

Only the UK PM has the authority to order our nukes to be launched
  • Options

moonshine said:

I suspect you will.

Bullshit.

I have repeatedly criticised the government this year when I feel the need to do so and called for u turns.

Plus I advocate Scottish independence. Some Tory loyalist. 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    HYUFD said:
    I think every manifesto says they believe in giving more power to local councils. It's one of those things parties say they want to do, yet somehow it always remains on the list for next time too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

Only the UK PM has the authority to order our nukes to be launched
    I was suggesting that in the event of your solutions being adopted, they wouldn’t have a long journey.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

The Catalonia precedent is the equivalent of if on June 23rd 2016 the EU also had a referendum on whether to let the UK leave, and they said no.
    No, the Popular Party in Spain is the sister party of the Tory Party and was democratically elected when its leader and the Spanish PM in 2017 banned a lawful Catalan independence referendum, urged a Unionist boycott, refused to recognise the result of that illegal referendum once held, ordered the arrest of Catalan nationalist leaders and suspended the Catalan Parliament.

The EU is not a sovereign country, Spain and the UK are
  • Options

moonshine said:

I suspect you will.

Bullshit.

I have repeatedly criticised the government this year when I feel the need to do so and called for u turns.

Much more Machiavellian. You foresee how hard it will be for Labour to become a serious political force again without Scotland, so you’re setting up power for the next ten years.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

No, the Popular Party in Spain is our sister party and was democratically elected when its leader and the Spanish PM on 2017 banned a lawful Catalan independence referendum, urged a Unionist boycott, refused to recognise the result of that illegal referendum once held, ordered the arrest of Catalan nationalist leaders and suspended the Catalan Parliament.

The EU is not a sovereign country, Spain and the UK are
    Ummm - banned a lawful referendum?

Sounds pretty fascist to me.
  • Options
    Is it me or does it like there's more than 2,000 fans at Brighton v. Southampton?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

But like Max I'm expecting no deal, I've been prepping for no deal since 2016.

Unless you are currently auditing your Brexit stockpile I do not know how seriously to take you.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

If the Scots vote for independence they have a mandate to leave. No if's or buts, we English are not Spaniards and believe in democracy not Franco.
    If you refuse to respect the once in a generation No vote of Scots in 2014 then you can return to voting Labour as you did in 2001, Starmer has said he will grant an indyref2 if the SNP win a majority next year and he becomes PM in 2024, however we Tories and Boris have been clear 2014 was a once in a generation vote, no ifs, no buts
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,271
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

If you refuse to respect the once in a generation No vote of Scots in 2014 then you can return to voting Labour as you did in 2001, Starmer has said he will grant an indyref2 if the SNP win a majority next year and he becomes PM in 2024, however we Tories and Boris have been clear 2014 was a once in a generation vote, no ifs, no buts
    More Johnsonian lies.
  • Options
    TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

MikeL said:

Haven't seen any comments on this but Republican in Pennsylvania has appealed PA Supreme Court ruling to SCOTUS.

It's in Alito's territory - Alito originally requested evidence by 9th Dec (standard 6 day deadline) - ie after safe harbour deadline - but subsequently revised this to 9am on 8th Dec (he could have requested it much quicker if he had wanted to).

Anyway some kind of ruling may well be issued tomorrow - link:

https://reason.com/volokh/2020/12/06/circuit-justice-alito-walks-back-de-facto-denial-of-pennsylvania-emergency-appeal/

I suspect Alito's deliberations will do more to decide the fate of the US election than a thousand calls for Biden from CNN.
    You do know that Alito will duck this, right?
    Unless the Justices are so pissed off at Trump's abuse of the judicial system that they want the opportunity to throw it back in Trump's face with prejudice.
    If I was a Conservative Supreme Court jautice who wanted to prevent Biden packing the court I would be looking to deliver a constitutionally meaningless but visceral smack down of Trump right about now to appease the Dems.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

But like Max I'm expecting no deal, I've been prepping for no deal since 2016.

Unless you are currently auditing your Brexit stockpile I do not know how seriously to take you.
    My father hoards like a doomsday prepper, he's been so unbearably smug* ever since lockdown started in March saying we didn't run out of anything whilst the country went mad.

He's even more stocked up for No Deal.

*Thank goodness being unbearably smug isn't hereditary, I'd hate to have such an affliction.
  • Options

Alistair said:

MattW said:

One of the small things I hope for from Brexit is that farms will be able (when the animals are for domestic consumption) to feed scraps to animals again. When I was little (which wasn't a HUGELY long time ago) our school dinner scrapings used to go to the chickens. Can't do that anymore, and it results in dreadful food waste, and farmers shelling out for animal feed which probably isn't even as good.

If you feed them healthy raw veg, then you can compost the scrapings :-) .
    To be pedantic, raw veg isn't always the healthiest option. Humans have developed our ways of processing foods to make the nutrients in them more available over centuries. It's a myth that it would all be better if we lived on raw veg.
    I had a cauliflower "steak" last night for dinner (in other words a slice of cauliflower) as part of a Mindful Chef recipe for a main meal.

I might as well have eaten grass. I was so hungry I woke up at 11.30pm and had to go downstairs for a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes. I woke up again at 6am for the same reason - and had fruit & fibre and toast with golden syrup.

Vegan is bollocks.
    Mindful Chef isn't that good. Found a lot of their recipes very, very bland.

If you are doing recipe boxes I would recommend Gousto over the them by a very wide margin. Their 'flavour' is excellent, high-quality spy, spices and Chipotle paste gives their recipes a real headstart to tastiness.
    Thanks. I'll take a look.
    Take this refferal code, it's dangerous out there.

https://cook.gousto.co.uk/raf?promo_code=ALIST11709252&utm_source=androidapp
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

Can you please stop repeating yourself. It's so boring.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I think every manifesto says they believe in giving more power to local councils. It's one of those things parties say they want to do, yet somehow it always remains on the list for next time too.
    One think people hate more than they like local government is a postcode lottery. Go figure.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

I suspect you will.

Bullshit.

Much more Machiavellian. You foresee how hard it will be for Labour to become a serious political force again without Scotland, so you’re setting up power for the next ten years.
    https://youtu.be/CFg7esxnrXs
  • Options
    One option for the UK and EU.

Pass legislation to say we're moving back to the Julian calendar from tomorrow, that gives them nearly an extra fortnight to sort out a deal.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

I suspect you will.

Bullshit.

A fiendishly clever plan that fails on only one front. Conservative owned no deal chaos will result in a straight fight between Labour and the Lib Dems for GE2024.
  • Options
    This is embarrassing as it is offensive. Trump lawyers are as dumb as a box of turds.

I mean they are suing the wrong party for starters.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1336048463096795136
  • Options

If I had to guess I'd say they discussed a lot of stuff but need to take it back to their bases now (EU members and UK HMG) to see what more can be done.

UK has made gestures today with IM Bill and also on fishing, and the EU has been looking at LPF limits too, so something is definitely going on.

Is that a going back to your base in the Curb Your Enthusiasm sense?
    Both sides have a political constituency to manage, and their irreconcilables.

They both know that.
    I don't think you got the allusion. Not a Curb fan?
    Big Curb fan.

Sorry, long day.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,271
    MaxPB said:

Gaming news - Cyberpunk 2077 has got it's reviews out, it looks amazing. From the makers of The Witcher. I'm going to get it when the PS5 patch is out.

“Cyberpunk 2077” wants to be the “Witcher 3” of crime dramas, and it very much hits that high bar in almost every regard. The writing is an engaging thrill ride that’s going to leave you wondering what’s going to happen next. Conversations flow with natural pacing, emotion and wit to stay entertaining and grounded. And they all take place in the evocative sheen and grime of a cyberpunk world. I’d leave a bar in Night City and feel like I spent some actual time in a smoky, low-lit environment for the last hour, having cigarette smoke blown in my face and smelling like whiskey. In its design, it is to 2020 what “Red Dead Redemption 2” was to 2018.

It’s a good thing “Cyberpunk 2077” gets so many details right, because in its current prelaunch state, it’s … what you’d expect from a launch CDPR game. Before “Witcher 3” became the darling of the industry, it was released in a famously buggy state. “Cyberpunk 2077” continues this tradition despite seven years in development, several delays and worrying reports of overtime crunch.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,140
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

Please change the record. It's got an unaccountably deep scratch in the vinyl.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,624

Pass legislation to say we're moving back to the Julian calendar from tomorrow, that gives them nearly an extra fortnight to sort out a deal.

Declare a do-over for 2020 as a whole - gain a whole year.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

I think Starmer backs as his play at the next GE will be that the Deal was thin and he wants to "thicken" it. Easier movement of professionals, 2 year visas for young people, services, Erasmus and horizon etc.

He'll do closer alignment and freer (but not free) movement and more on services. Maybe he'll bung in more cash to the EU too. But he won't rejoin.

For that position to be credible he first has to vote for the base of the flan, not against it.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

MattW said:

One of the small things I hope for from Brexit is that farms will be able (when the animals are for domestic consumption) to feed scraps to animals again. When I was little (which wasn't a HUGELY long time ago) our school dinner scrapings used to go to the chickens. Can't do that anymore, and it results in dreadful food waste, and farmers shelling out for animal feed which probably isn't even as good.

If you feed them healthy raw veg, then you can compost the scrapings :-) .
    To be pedantic, raw veg isn't always the healthiest option. Humans have developed our ways of processing foods to make the nutrients in them more available over centuries. It's a myth that it would all be better if we lived on raw veg.
    I had a cauliflower "steak" last night for dinner (in other words a slice of cauliflower) as part of a Mindful Chef recipe for a main meal.

I might as well have eaten grass. I was so hungry I woke up at 11.30pm and had to go downstairs for a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes. I woke up again at 6am for the same reason - and had fruit & fibre and toast with golden syrup.

Vegan is bollocks.
    Mindful Chef isn't that good. Found a lot of their recipes very, very bland.

If you are doing recipe boxes I would recommend Gousto over the them by a very wide margin. Their 'flavour' is excellent, high-quality spy, spices and Chipotle paste gives their recipes a real headstart to tastiness.
    Thanks. I'll take a look.
    Take this refferal code, it's dangerous out there.

https://cook.gousto.co.uk/raf?promo_code=ALIST11709252&utm_source=androidapp
    Very kind, thank you.
  • Options

This is embarrassing as it is offensive. Trump lawyers are as dumb as a box of turds.

I think you are assuming the intended audience for the hearing is the court but it is probably aimed more at parler and maga twitter. They prefer Biden et al to be the bad guys.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,728
    edited December 2020

Or we could adopt the French revolutionary calendar and not have to worry for the best part of 2000 years.
    Only if we get rid of the aristos that rule us as well.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,669
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

“Cyberpunk 2077” wants to be the “Witcher 3” of crime dramas, and it very much hits that high bar in almost every regard. The writing is an engaging thrill ride that’s going to leave you wondering what’s going to happen next. Conversations flow with natural pacing, emotion and wit to stay entertaining and grounded. And they all take place in the evocative sheen and grime of a cyberpunk world. I’d leave a bar in Night City and feel like I spent some actual time in a smoky, low-lit environment for the last hour, having cigarette smoke blown in my face and smelling like whiskey. In its design, it is to 2020 what “Red Dead Redemption 2” was to 2018.

It’s a good thing “Cyberpunk 2077” gets so many details right, because in its current prelaunch state, it’s … what you’d expect from a launch CDPR game. Before “Witcher 3” became the darling of the industry, it was released in a famously buggy state. “Cyberpunk 2077” continues this tradition despite seven years in development, several delays and worrying reports of overtime crunch.

Yeah that last paragraph is why I'm waiting it out for the PS5 version, gives them time to fix the bugs and for the next gen version which is going to look super amazing on my 65" OLED TV.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

I cannot see UDI happening. Sturgeon is not that stupid. Were she to go down that road , many pro-Union Scots would be likely to reject Holrood's authority whilst continuing to accept that of Westminster.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

I suspect you will.

Bullshit.

A fiendishly clever plan that fails on only one front. Conservative owned no deal chaos will result in a straight fight between Labour and the Lib Dems for GE2024.
    No it won't', the Tories will always get a third of the vote whatever happens, the only way they don't is if Farage's new party overtakes them because Boris does too soft a Brexit.

Labour and the LDs are never going to overtake the Tories on the right, only Farage could do that as he did last Spring
  • Options

I think you are assuming the intended audience for the hearing is the court but it is probably aimed more at parler and maga twitter. They prefer Biden et al to be the bad guys.
    It'd suit the Democrats to have SCOTUS vitiate both the PA and the WI legislature, and thus have the Democrat governors run things for 2 years in those states.
    That's what they're suing for right ?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited December 2020
    Deleted!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

Please change the record. It's got an unaccountably deep scratch in the vinyl.
    It sure has
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

I suspect you will.

Bullshit.

Not true, Labour would have won a majority in 1945, 1966, 1997, 2001 and 2005 in England alone.

In 1950 and October 1974 Labour would have won most seats in England and Wales alone.

Only in February 1974 would the Tories have won an election they lost UK wide had there been no Scottish seats and Heath would have been narrowly re elected
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    He can't possibly sign up to anything contentious while in Brussels, can he? This is just setting the scene for the most theatrical walkout.
  • Options
    I see this place is even crazier than usual...
  • Options
    edited December 2020

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

gealbhan said:

DavidL said:

It is also the EU's fault for having in its constitution Article 50 which enabled a member state to leave, the Spanish constitution has no such provisions, nor does the UK's constitution which is based on Westminster sovereignty.

Even in Canada in 1995 after Quebec's second independence vote narrowly failed the Canadian Supreme Court after the vote ruled had Yes won Quebec independence would have been illegal without Canadian government approval anyway
  • Options

We do not agree on very much but on this you are spot on
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Gaussian said:

He can't possibly sign up to anything contentious while in Brussels, can he? This is just setting the scene for the most theatrical walkout.

I imagine they'd want to sign the deal in person. Or it could be as described, to try to unjam things.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

I suspect you will.

Bullshit.

No it won't', the Tories will always get a third of the vote whatever happens, the only way they don't is if Farage's new party overtakes them because Boris does too soft a Brexit.

Labour and the LDs are never going to overtake the Tories on the right, only Farage could do that as he did last Spring
    Good luck with no deal then.

A third of the vote is guaranteed is it? Do you not recall 1997?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

moonshine said:

I suspect you will.

Bullshit.

Not true, Labour would have won a majority in 1945, 1966, 1997, 2001 and 2005 in England alone.

In 1950 and October 1974 Labour would have won most seats in England and Wales alone.

Only in February 1974 would the Tories have won an election they lost UK wide had there been no Scottish seats and Heath would have been narrowly re elected
    Assuming people would have voted the same way.

You also forget that in Oct 74 and 1966 office and therefore the initiative in timing the election passed to Labour because of a Scotland inspired win (Feb 1974 and 1964, which you forgot, respectively). Without that, they might still have lost.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,140

It was nice and civilised earlier - we were discussing recipes for scrambled eggs, turnip soup and sheep's head. But a certain poster came back and got all aerated about the god-given divine right of the English to rule the Scots.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It'd suit the Democrats to have SCOTUS vitiate both the PA and the WI legislature, and thus have the Democrat governors run things for 2 years in those states.
    That's what they're suing for right ?
    I dont think they put much thought into what they are suing for, its all about volume and number of cases.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127

Everyone's a little bit mad, bubbling under the surface.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Gaussian said:

I imagine they'd want to sign the deal in person. Or it could be as described, to try to unjam things.
    https://twitter.com/nickgutteridge/status/1336020712285491201
  • Options
    Kenny Sansom diagnosed with dementia at just 62

Sad news and just how long will heading be permitted in football without head protection at the very least
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

Kenny Sansom diagnosed with dementia at just 62

Sad news and just how long will heading be permitted in football without head protection at the very least

Who?
  • Options

We do not agree on very much but on this you are spot on
    I just spent 90 minutes on a software developers forum watching somebody argue that Agile combined with LISP (well,,, clojure) was the way forward.

I thought that was mad, then I popped in here :D

I think I will go and watch some Number Theory on YT
  • Options

What's unusual about HYUFD having General Franco fascist tendencies?
This discussion has been closed.