Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Leaver or Limpet – How long with Johnson lead? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited December 2020 in General
imageLeaver or Limpet – How long with Johnson lead? – politicalbetting.com

When dictionaries announce their ‘Word of the Year’ it will undoubtedly be ‘COVID’, ‘Social Distancing’, or something related. But ‘Superforecaster’ is another word which has had a big 2020.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,233
    edited December 2020
    Johnson may still be tenant of Number 10 in a year or two, but will the country still be the UK?

Good grief... First
  • Options
    2nd.
  • Options
    R4 covering the EHIC health insurance after Brexit January. I think people are going to be surprised at the extra difficulties covering their health for EU travel especially if an existing condition.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited December 2020
    Cicero said:

Johnson may still be tenant of Number 10 in a year or two, but will the country still be the UK?

Good grief... First

I do think an IndyRef scenario is a viable early exit for him, and while I didn't have space to discuss it (and opted not to because I highly doubt it will happen in the next 12 months especially) I do think it is worth considering for 2022/23 bets.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Good thread header - agree with the conclusions.
    I looked into joining the good judgement project several years ago but found it a bit bewildering all the things I was supposed to predict. The idea of using them as an extra data point on betting markets is smart.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

I looked into joining the good judgement project several years ago but found it a bit bewildering all the things I was supposed to predict. The idea of using them as an extra data point on betting markets is smart.

I joined them twice, once many years ago and once a couple of years back which 'stuck'. I enter very few questions, but I do think it's a valuable exercise for people like us to do.
  • Options
    I don't see any evidence superforecasters are any better than forecasters - there's nothing special about a forecasting technique other than to be willing to consider new and wider fields of evidence, resist the herd mind - but also go along with it when it's right - and be willing to change your view when the facts change. A good forecaster will look inconsistent.

Provided Boris secures a Deal I think he's secure until the May elections. The aftermath on the locals and Scottish parliament will prove decisive for him going into June.

If he looks ok going into the summer, he will survive the year and he's probably then ok - barring major events - until 2023, unless another crisis erupts in 2022.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987
    Boris wants and needs real money - I can see him leaving in 2021 using Covid illness as an excuse to go back to making sums far in excess of what he earns as PM.
  • Options
    I haven't read the header yet. Is "limpet" the new pc word for "remainer"?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688
    Sorry isn't there a glaring ommission in the otherwise well-argued header?

What if Johnson has just had enough?

Say by mid-2021 he's delivered Brexit, got the country through Covid, still feeling the pinch financially, worn down by the actual work involved in being PM, perhaps still suffering from long-covid?

I don't think you can rule out 'my work is done here' resignation... I'd say maybe a 25% chance.
  • Options
    Toyota make the same point as Nissan that I keep referring back to. A "deal" that makes trade with the EU more costly and more complicated than now will likely close down the car industry just as much as no deal would.

What industry needs is tariff-free trade and impediment-free trade so that we can send goods across the border without checks and paperwork. If we get checks and paperwork then regardless of tariffs we still end up higher complexity and cost than we have now.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1335935722285649921?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1335935722285649921|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/9252/as-trump-continues-to-be-in-denial-about-his-defeat-biden-gets-a-significant-gallup-favourability-bo/p6
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    eek said:

Boris wants and needs real money - I can see him leaving in 2021 using Covid illness as an excuse to go back to making sums far in excess of what he earns as PM.

Or being blamed for the screw-up over covid? (If he can't offload it onto Messrs Hancock, Sunak, scientists etc.)
  • Options

Limpet is surely the term for obstinate Leaver sticking to the idea of Brexit when it is clearly a disaster for the country.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Say by mid-2021 he's delivered Brexit, got the country through Covid, still feeling the pinch financially, worn down by the actual work involved in being PM, perhaps still suffering from long-covid?

I don't think you can rule out 'my work is done here' resignation... I'd say maybe a 25% chance.

That is possible, but I really don't think he spent so long trying to get into Number 10 to leave after two years when he has a big majority. Certainly not 25% chance in my view. Has any PM ever stood down in that situation, especially so soon.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,849

R4 covering the EHIC health insurance after Brexit January. I think people are going to be surprised at the extra difficulties covering their health for EU travel especially if an existing condition.

Leavers have an answer for all the new problems . Just get travel insurance ! Accept of course some pre-existing conditions carry a huge increase in your policy and the EHIC has helped to keep overall travel insurance costs down for those travelling in the EU and EEA. No matter how many issues arise the No Deal Cult believe it’s worth it . Facts don’t matter to these people .
  • Options

Limpet is surely the term for obstinate Leaver sticking to the idea of Brexit when it is clearly a disaster for the country.
    Guys, it was just a pun for the title. The header isn't about Brexit and given the last 1000 days of arguing about it on the internet didn't improve things I don't think making this thread about it will help either.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,736

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

@Selebian
    4067bn is total trade; imports + exports. Exports were 2132bn in 2019
    https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/International_trade_in_goods

We imported €411bn worth from the EU in 2019.

411/((2132+411) would be 16% of total EU exports
    Ah, appreciated (should have read the link rather than just the google search headline). So, more pain for EU countries than my initial suggestion, but still some way lower than 43%.

Still, potentially, a huge amount of trade potentially impacted on both sides.
    Of course, quoting percentages of exEU trade does rather miss the point that the EU enables trillions worth of what would otherwise be international trade within the single market. I'm always a little surprised when EUphiles get into percentage dick fights (43% is an amputation, 19% a mere scratch - almost a fifth of all exports is still a LOT) rather than making that point.
    Yes it is a lot but you are also making a rookie mistake. It is 19% for the EU = 27 nations. Individually it is 6-9% per nation vs our 43%.
    To reply to both of you, the more committed Brexiteers seem to struggle to comprehend* that individual country pain is more relevant or that having a large internal market is more relevant. That's why it's sometimes worth pointing out that 20% (or less) is smaller than 43% as otherwise the argument goes that EU exports total to more than ours and so they have more to lose.

*not directed at @TrèsDifficile, who I think does comprehend this and just pointing out there's also a lot of potential EU pain
    The comment I would make is that EU members with the exception of Ireland don't seem massively exercised about access to the UK market (shorthand: "German car manufacturers", who are notable by their absence). Maybe they should be, but they are not. It reduces UK leverage in negotiations with the EU. Not just these ones. Going forwards too.
    The continental press hardly mentions Brexit these days, its a fascination only for sulking remainers. Really its just a bore now. All the countries will survive and move on.

Interest in the UK will probably continue as we are forecast to have the largest population and eventually economy in Europe in this century. This is in contrast to a Europe which will see a population decline and in some countries a crash.

The current round of bed wetting is simply that.
    Ultimately people adapt to the situation, agreed. The UK's destiny is as a somewhat frustrated satellite of the European Union. It's what it will be but we can cope with it.

Incidentally the previous younger population growth in the UK was due to EU freedom of movement and immigration from Eastern Europe. An irony of Brexit is that the UK is becoming more like the rest of Europe in its arguably problematic respects.
    The UK is too big to be a satellite, a difficult neighbour certainly. As for pop growth, the E European boost certainly shoved things along, but these days most migration growth is non EU.
    I would say the UK is too big to be told what to do but not big enough to stay aloof from the EU, which remains the only show in town in Europe. The UK will, I think, simultaneously attempt to co-opt, undermine and ignore the EU and most of the time fail at all three. It is not a comfortable place to be, but the alternatives are to continue the current cycle of self-harm or rejoin.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    Carnyx said:

eek said:

Or being blamed for the screw-up over covid? (If he can't offload it onto Messrs Hancock, Sunak, scientists etc.)
    Unfortunately he's pretty safe on that one, because all of Europe and the US have screwed up so badly on it.
  • Options
    eek said:

The other thing that sets Boris apart from other modern PMs is just how mercurial he is- certainly about everything other than the adulation of B. Johnson Esq. (It's why Brexit is such a pickle; the rate-limiting step for Deal or No Deal is inside BoJo's head).

He's made sure he can't really be forced out before 2024, therefore he goes when he wants to. And depending on his mood, that might be never, or it might be this afternoon. (Seriously. If he wandered off this afternoon and just never came back to No 10, would anyone be that surprised? Disappointed, yes- but surprised?)
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Guys, it was just a pun for the title. The header isn't about Brexit and given the last 1000 days of arguing about it on the internet didn't improve things I don't think making this thread about it will help either.
    And of course limpets emerge to graze, but then return home and clamp down ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nycudpbwTI&feature=emb_logo
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Gaussian said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Unfortunately he's pretty safe on that one, because all of Europe and the US have screwed up so badly on it.
    I'd agree - but there is the myth of English/British exceptionalism. Going against that is in Brexiter eyes [edit] almost as much a crime as is pissing on a Spitfire [and, the latter, in my eyes too].
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Excellent piece. Informative, reasoned and about betting.

More, more scream the crowd.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

@Selebian
    https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/International_trade_in_goods

Ah, appreciated (should have read the link rather than just the google search headline). So, more pain for EU countries than my initial suggestion, but still some way lower than 43%.

Of course, quoting percentages of exEU trade does rather miss the point that the EU enables trillions worth of what would otherwise be international trade within the single market. I'm always a little surprised when EUphiles get into percentage dick fights (43% is an amputation, 19% a mere scratch - almost a fifth of all exports is still a LOT) rather than making that point.
    Yes it is a lot but you are also making a rookie mistake. It is 19% for the EU = 27 nations. Individually it is 6-9% per nation vs our 43%.
    To reply to both of you, the more committed Brexiteers seem to struggle to comprehend* that individual country pain is more relevant or that having a large internal market is more relevant. That's why it's sometimes worth pointing out that 20% (or less) is smaller than 43% as otherwise the argument goes that EU exports total to more than ours and so they have more to lose.

*not directed at @TrèsDifficile, who I think does comprehend this and just pointing out there's also a lot of potential EU pain
    The comment I would make is that EU members with the exception of Ireland don't seem massively exercised about access to the UK market (shorthand: "German car manufacturers", who are notable by their absence). Maybe they should be, but they are not. It reduces UK leverage in negotiations with the EU. Not just these ones. Going forwards too.
    The continental press hardly mentions Brexit these days, its a fascination only for sulking remainers. Really its just a bore now. All the countries will survive and move on.

Interest in the UK will probably continue as we are forecast to have the largest population and eventually economy in Europe in this century. This is in contrast to a Europe which will see a population decline and in some countries a crash.

Ultimately people adapt to the situation, agreed. The UK's destiny is as a somewhat frustrated satellite of the European Union. It's what it will be but we can cope with it.

Incidentally the previous younger population growth in the UK was due to EU freedom of movement and immigration from Eastern Europe. An irony of Brexit is that the UK is becoming more like the rest of Europe in its arguably problematic respects.
    The UK is too big to be a satellite, a difficult neighbour certainly. As for pop growth, the E European boost certainly shoved things along, but these days most migration growth is non EU.
    I would say the UK is too big to be told what to do but not big enough to stay aloof from the EU, which remains the only show in town in Europe. The UK will, I think, simultaneously attempt to co-opt, undermine and ignore the EU and most of the time fail at all three. It is not a comfortable place to be, but the alternatives are to continue the current cycle of self-harm or rejoin.
    I doubt the outcome will be in either or terms.

Most of the time something else turns up and we go off in a different direction as the issue has changed.
  • Options
    No chance that Boris will be forced out in 2021. Simply not going to happen: deal or no deal.

The only reason that Boris will go is because he's had enough, but I think that's very unlikely. Quite simply its easier to hold onto power than to accept its time to relinquish it or regain any . . . and all PMs start to think about their 'legacy', I don't think Boris will want his only legacy to be Brexit and COVID19 he will want to do something post-Brexit for his legacy.

After dinner talks can wait at least another year.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Quincel said:

That is possible, but I really don't think he spent so long trying to get into Number 10 to leave after two years when he has a big majority. Certainly not 25% chance in my view. Has any PM ever stood down in that situation, especially so soon.
    You might be right but I'd still say it's more likely than losing a GE in the next two years.

For there to be a GE a crisis of truly epic proportions would have had to ensue - and before there was a GE Johnson would have been dumped by his party.

I think most likely scenarios for a change of PM in the next two years are (in order of likelihood):

1. Johnson quits
    2. The Tories dump him (55 letters from MPs)
    3. Death or incapacity
    4. Losing a GE

If you extend the timescale to four years, 4. becomes easily the most likely.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

A 25% chance makes the odds quoted look pretty good value don’t you think?
  • Options

No chance that Boris will be forced out in 2021. Simply not going to happen: deal or no deal.

The only reason that Boris will go is because he's had enough, but I think that's very unlikely. Quite simply its easier to hold onto power than to accept its time to relinquish it or regain any . . . and all PMs start to think about their 'legacy', I don't think Boris will want his only legacy to be Brexit and COVID19 he will want to do something post-Brexit for his legacy.

Yep, I agree. I doubt he'll be doing much after dinner speaking once he is finished as PM, though!

• Options
    Quincel said:

I was just joking based on the first three words of the title, and the fact that I got told off for using "remainer" on the last thread. I have read your very good header and agree with it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247
    Totally agree with this Header. The markets are pricing an unlikely event - Johnson ceasing to be PM anytime soon - as being quite likely. Fantastic value is therefore on the table for punters who wish to back him sticking around. I've done so in decent size as previously advised. My bet is on him to still be PM on 1st July 2022 and I got 1.9. It's still available at about 1.75 and I would encourage people to take it. You'll be able to lay it back at 1.4 fairly soon if you don't want to wait for the full return.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

@Selebian

The UK moves into full-blown, internal crisis next year. The fun keeps on coming!

• Options
    If we get No Deal - which is starting to look horrifying possible - then the pressure for Boris to resign will be formidable. It will amount to the greatest political failure in modern British history, making Black Wednesday look like a pasty tax in comparison. There will be absolutely no reason, either for himself or anyone else, for Boris to hang around a moment longer.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

A 25% chance makes the odds quoted look pretty good value don’t you think?
    Yes.

I think it's unlikely Johnson goes in the next two years but I think the *most* likely reason is he just quits.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2020
    Wales was the only part of the UK where Covid infection rates were not falling at the end of November, the health minister has said.

Vaughan Gething said it reflected tighter UK restrictions elsewhere. He confirmed ministers were considering whether any new restrictions would be needed after the Christmas relaxation of rules.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-55214924

AFTER....be too bloody late by then. As for "our rates are going up", cos other places harsher restrictions is absolute nonsense.

What the chart in the articles shows is although Scotland haven't managed to totally squish it, they have been a quicker than England to impose things like ban on household mixing and kept at it longer than Wales, and thus managed to avoid the big uptick.
  • Options

If we get No Deal - which is starting to look horrifying possible - then the pressure for Boris to resign will be formidable. It will amount to the greatest political failure in modern British history, making Black Wednesday look like a pasty tax in comparison. There will be absolutely no reason, either for himself or anyone else, for Boris to hang around a moment longer.

Says the person with an EU flag for an avatar. 🤣

If we get to No Deal then Boris will be a hero to Eurosceptics and be untouchable from that flank.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Gaussian said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

Agreed, it doesn't seem to make much difference what you do. Former poster child S Korea now in bad trouble

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/south-korea-warns-medical-collapse-it-races-control-coronavirus-surge-n1250182
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Quite right - Boris isn't going anywhere any time soon. Barring an event of force majeure, the soonest there is a significant chance of him leaving office is 2023, and then only if the Tories are stuck in a persistent double-digit deficit with no hope of improvement. Otherwise it's on to 2024, with a decent chance of holding off the noble Sir Borealot, and if he does so, then the late 2020s beckon...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    One reason for Boris to hang on is to see how Sunak weathers the much tougher economic environment of 2021-2, Deal or No Deal. If Sunak's star crashes and burns, then his successor as PM is going to need longer to bed in (certainly when looking at the current non-Sunak succession). I suspect he would rather it were not Gove.

Maybe Carrie can get a safe seat.....
  • Options

Toyota make the same point as Nissan that I keep referring back to. A "deal" that makes trade with the EU more costly and more complicated than now will likely close down the car industry just as much as no deal would.

What industry needs is tariff-free trade and impediment-free trade so that we can send goods across the border without checks and paperwork. If we get checks and paperwork then regardless of tariffs we still end up higher complexity and cost than we have now.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1335935722285649921?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1335935722285649921|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/9252/as-trump-continues-to-be-in-denial-about-his-defeat-biden-gets-a-significant-gallup-favourability-bo/p6

Suggestion here that the EU doesn't need to worry about level playing field. Brexit will make UK business so uncompetitive versus the EU counterparts that no amount of UK government backtracking on regulations will make up the difference. Possibly true on labour an environmental standards, not so sure about State Aid. More to the point, EU members aren't going to risk it.

https://twitter.com/SamuelMarcLowe/status/1335884707179978753
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Everything is about Brexit at the moment - that is the tragedy of Brexit.
  • Options

I am sure the conservatives will take a hit but you may be surprised at the level of support even in a no deal
  • Options

Says the person with an EU flag for an avatar. 🤣

If we get to No Deal then Boris will be a hero to Eurosceptics and be untouchable from that flank.
    The consequences of No Deal will be so profound that its apologists will just melt away. It'll probably be just you and Boris left (though I'm not even that sure about the latter).
  • Options

I am sure the conservatives will take a hit but you may be surprised at the level of support even in a no deal
    I think that entirely depends on the impact of No Deal.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247

Quite right - Boris isn't going anywhere any time soon. Barring an event of force majeure, the soonest there is a significant chance of him leaving office is 2023, and then only if the Tories are stuck in a persistent double-digit deficit with no hope of improvement. Otherwise it's on to 2024, with a decent chance of holding off the noble Sir Borealot, and if he does so, then the late 2020s beckon...

2023 is my idea of when he could possibly go. I might try to get 8 for that on Betfair.
  • Options

I'd expect a brief bounce in the polls. It will then depend on what actually happens. If the Tories deliver on their promise that we will thrive without a deal then everything will be fine for them. If not, they may well struggle. Either way, the really big story next year will be Scotland.

• Options

I think you're being overly optimistic. Unless Brexit is a resounding success and his backbenches completely move on to new worlds to conquer, the ending of the transition period won't be the end of Brexit.

On one hand you will have the mouth-foamers for whom anything other than WTO Up Yours Delors is a betrayal. Farage's reborn party will be blaming every problem on Johnson's betrayal.

On the other hand you will have MPs across the country being bombarded by angry constituents who will be baffled and outraged that the silver bullet they were promised has turned out to mean higher prices shortages and unemployment.

A pincer move of both groups could make early retirement off to being able to do properly paid work to save up for Carrie's divorce settlement an attractive prospect for him. I know that you don't believe in these downsides which is why you think it simply won't happen (his departure).
  • Options

I think that entirely depends on the impact of No Deal.
    Sky business suggesting pound dollar at 1.10 and euro at parity if no deal

2021 staycations will look more attractive
  • Options
    The key factor, not mentioned, in whether MPs would decide to remove Boris is the bumper set of elections in May 2021. Due to the 2020 postponements, around 80%-90% of voters will be going to the polls one way or another. What really did for TMay in the end were the awful EU elections.

If the Tories do badly, Boris in in trouble. If the Tories do well (boosted by a successful vaccine roll out) then he could be secure to 2024.
  • Options

Quincel said:

I was just joking based on the first three words of the title, and the fact that I got told off for using "remainer" on the last thread. I have read your very good header and agree with it.
    Sorry, I might have been too sensitive on this.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    The humble shit munchers will fucking love no deal. Indentity trumps finance.
  • Options

One reason for Boris to hang on is to see how Sunak weathers the much tougher economic environment of 2021-2, Deal or No Deal. If Sunak's star crashes and burns, then his successor as PM is going to need longer to bed in (certainly when looking at the current non-Sunak succession). I suspect he would rather it were not Gove.

Johnson does not care about the Conservative party, though. He only cares about himself. He'll go when he wants to with no thought for anything or anyone else. Or he will be forced out.

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Gaussian said:

Carnyx said:

eek said:

The other point to make of course is that the devolved Govts in Wales & Scotland are not so free of screw-ups either.

That is, any inquiry into COVID will surely look at the response in England, Wales, Scotland & N. Ireland.

If you believe e.g., that the care homes in England were needlessly exposed, you will have to examine what happened in Wales & Scotland as well (where I believe very similar policies were pursued).

In fact, it will be interesting to see what kind of inquiry we do actually get into the response to COVID -- it is not entirely obvious to me that the other parties will necessarily want one that looks at a whole bunch of inconvenient & embarrassing facts.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,649
    Mass testing with a short period of contact restrictions dramatically reduced SARS-CoV-2 infections in Slovakia
    https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/news/2020/mass-testing-short-period-contact-restrictions-dramatically-reduced-sars-cov-2
    In October 2020, Slovakia tested its whole population for SARS-CoV-2 infections, conducting more than five million rapid antigen tests. A pilot trial took place between 23 and 25 October in the country’s four most affected counties, followed by a round of national mass testing on 31 October and 1 November. High prevalence counties were again targeted with a subsequent round on 7 and 8 November.

The analysis, which has not yet been peer-reviewed, was conducted in collaboration with the Slovak Ministry of Health. Using data on the proportions of those attending the mass testing that tested positive, the team estimated the combined impact of this mass testing with contact restrictions on SARS-CoV-2 infection prevalence.

Within one week the proportion of infectious people among all tested declined by 61% (50-70%). Within two weeks and two rounds of testing in the pilot areas, the decline was 82% (81-83%).

In comparison, the recent REACT-1 study (Imperial College) results show that SARS-CoV-2 infections detectable by PCR testing fell by 30% in the UK 2-3 weeks into the lockdown compared to infection prevalence before.

Martin Pavelka from LSHTM and MoH Slovakia, said: “Population-wide COVID-19 interventions such as lockdown result in a huge social and economic toll. This is because they target everyone, not just those who are actually infected and spreading the disease. Low-cost rapid tests that can be produced at large scale may offer the opportunity to conduct mass testing campaigns which identify most infectious individuals.

Stefan Flasche, from LSHTM’s Centre for the Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases (CMMID), said: “Slovakia’s strategy identified more than 50,000 infections, many of which would otherwise have been missed. Importantly, we found that the biggest impact of mass testing is achieved by quarantining the household contacts of those who test positive.”...
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Selebian said:

@Selebian

The UK moves into full-blown, internal crisis next year. The fun keeps on coming!

That's true. I'm a Scot and in some denial on that.
  • Options

I think you're being overly optimistic. Unless Brexit is a resounding success and his backbenches completely move on to new worlds to conquer, the ending of the transition period won't be the end of Brexit.

On one hand you will have the mouth-foamers for whom anything other than WTO Up Yours Delors is a betrayal. Farage's reborn party will be blaming every problem on Johnson's betrayal.

On the other hand you will have MPs across the country being bombarded by angry constituents who will be baffled and outraged that the silver bullet they were promised has turned out to mean higher prices shortages and unemployment.

A pincer move of both groups could make early retirement off to being able to do properly paid work to save up for Carrie's divorce settlement an attractive prospect for him. I know that you don't believe in these downsides which is why you think it simply won't happen (his departure).
    He is not married to Carrie
  • Options

Carrie's divorce? Some m istake surely?
  • Options

He doesn't have to be married to end up paying a settlement.
  • Options

I'd expect a brief bounce in the polls. It will then depend on what actually happens. If the Tories deliver on their promise that we will thrive without a deal then everything will be fine for them. If not, they may well struggle. Either way, the really big story next year will be Scotland.

Yes - if No Deal gets announced then absolutely there will be a flag waving boost. Some people will wake up to 2021 feeling like salvation is finally here. And then....

Remember, we've already heard the reaction on vox pops - "This isn't the Brexit I voted for".

Brexit is lower cost and more freedoms. Yet unless we get a continuation deal we're getting the opposite and the same right wing press who screamed for Brexit will be screaming about the effects of Brexit. When pretty much everything gets more expensive and more difficult to do it's difficulty to cling on to vague notions you never really understood anyway like sovereignty.

As the Manics so eloquently put it, Freedom of Speech won't Feed my Children.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

The humble shit munchers will fucking love no deal. Indentity trumps finance.

The won't be so happy when there's a shit shortage though!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,649
    The market and the media often overestimate the chances of dramatic events, but mostly MPs don’t deliver the goods. A US pollster said just before the 2012 election, “Anything can happen in the next few days, but it probably won’t.” Extend that to ‘couple of years’ and my view is well summarised....

I suspect a No Deal would end up being quite dramatic in January/February, and the odds of that maybe 50/50 today - and depending on what happens in the Commons tonight, much higher than that by tomorrow morning.
    What I can't quite work out is whether that would make Johnson's departure highly likely in 2021.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, the PM will remain a vacillating idiot.

It's no use retaining hard Leavers if you lose the centre.

Like Antiochus at the Battle of Raphia, he might charge triumphantly against a fleeing wing only to eventually return to the battlefield and discover he's lost.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Wales was the only part of the UK where Covid infection rates were not falling at the end of November, the health minister has said.

Vaughan Gething said it reflected tighter UK restrictions elsewhere. He confirmed ministers were considering whether any new restrictions would be needed after the Christmas relaxation of rules.

AFTER....be too bloody late by then. As for "our rates are going up", cos other places harsher restrictions is absolute nonsense.

What the chart in the articles shows is although Scotland haven't managed to totally squish it, they have been a quicker than England to impose things like ban on household mixing and kept at it longer than Wales, and thus managed to avoid the big uptick.

Scotland also shows, because it has been in a fairly consistent tier system for a while now, that you need to be in Tier 3 if you want to keep the infection rate steady. (Tier 4 / lockdown if you need to bring it down quickly). At current compliance rates. Hopefully the vaccine will take the edge off that, so we can move first to Tier 2 and then 1. But we have some way to go yet and it will be a tough three or four months, for several reasons.
  • Options

He doesn't have to be married to end up paying a settlement.
    Divorce was referenced
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The market and the media often overestimate the chances of dramatic events, but mostly MPs don’t deliver the goods. A US pollster said just before the 2012 election, “Anything can happen in the next few days, but it probably won’t.” Extend that to ‘couple of years’ and my view is well summarised....

I suspect a No Deal would end up being quite dramatic in January/February, and the odds of that maybe 50/50 today - and depending on what happens in the Commons tonight, much higher than that by tomorrow morning.
    What I can't quite work out is whether that would make Johnson's departure highly likely in 2021.

unlikely

he'll do his Churchill schtick and keep going until things pick up
  • Options

Mr. Thompson, the PM will remain a vacillating idiot.

It's no use retaining hard Leavers if you lose the centre.

Like Antiochus at the Battle of Raphia, he might charge triumphantly against a fleeing wing only to eventually return to the battlefield and discover he's lost.

"The centre" won't be voting until 2024 though and then we will see, Brexit is unlikely to feature. That is why 2023 is realistically the earliest he will go due to "losing the centre" - if it looks like the Tories could lose the forthcoming election that will be the time for retirement.

But then her opponents thought Thatcher was disliked by "the centre" yet she won comprehensively in 1987 as well as 1983 and 1979. Johnson v Starmer could be like 1987, after Corbyn played the role of Foot.
  • Options

Yet. Has a sprog though. Costs dollah to separate, especially if you're caught shagging random musicians
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,322
    edited December 2020

Not sure. We have now normalised empty shelves via Covid. Plus no one* will notice the extra administrative burden, to whatever degree it manifests itself, save for a "weren't these Stroopwafels a bit cheaper last week" type of thing. So there is a lot of leeway for absolute total fuck up that Boris can paint as near-normal.

I have been prominent on here saying he will go (I have nine more months of my bet to run) on the basis of logic. It was obvious from the moment that TMay took office that she was manifestly unfit for it and hence was, to quote a noted newspaper editor, a "dead man walking".

Boris is equally unfit to be PM. And he will fall. Just not in 24-hr rolling news time. People who are manifestly unfit for high office generally don't stay in that office for that long. cf J Corbyn.

That said, he does look sticky because all his failings are often waved away as the behaviour of a lovable scallywag.

*no one apart those who are filling out the forms and adhering to the new system, obvs.
  • Options

Johnson does not care about the Conservative party, though. He only cares about himself. He'll go when he wants to with no thought for anything or anyone else. Or he will be forced out.

Of course he cares about the Conservative Party. It is idiocy to suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,017
    It is not clear how many car factories closing BoZo can endure before the men in grey suits do the necessary
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2020
    On topic: Yes, in general, Stuff Doesn't Happen*. I seem to recall making a series of profitable bets that Gordon Brown wasn't about to leave office, despite the obvious merit (from Labour's point of view) of ditching him and the various Snow Plots and other amusements. One of the important reasons for this is the one Pip mentions: Various factions may dislike aspects of [the] leadership, but if they agitate for his removal they risk an even worse (from their perspective) replacement.

And yet, and yet... We're about to enter a scenario completely unprecedented in peacetime, one where a major Western country and complex inter-connected economy voluntarily imposes massive economic and practical disruption on itself. Someone is going to get a hell of a lot of blame for that from every side. For the Brexiteers, as well as blaming the EU being bastards for having the temerity to take back control, it will be the wrong deal or the wrong sort of No Deal which causes the chaos. Farage is already on the case. For everyone else it will be the whole principle of Brexit, or at least the particular chaotic and bungling form of Brexit which the UK government has blundered into. Either way the buck stops with Boris. Enough to displace him? It doesn't look like it at the moment, but the chaos hasn't hit yet. Who knows?

* Until it does, of course. Then it can happen fast.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Scotland also shows, because it has been in a fairly consistent tier system for a while now, that you need to be in Tier 3 if you want to keep the infection rate steady. (Tier 4 / lockdown if you need to bring it down quickly). At current compliance rates. Hopefully the vaccine will take the edge off that, so we can move first to Tier 2 and then 1. But we have some way to go yet and it will be a tough three or four months, for several reasons.
    Agreed. The restrictions Wales brought in on Friday are modelled on Scottish level 3, which is unlikely to be good enough when cases are already at 300/week/100,000 and still rising.
  • Options

On topic: Yes, in general, Stuff Doesn't Happen*. I seem to recall making a series of profitable bets that Gordon Brown wasn't about to leave office, despite the obvious merit (from Labour's point of view) of ditching him and the various Snow Plots and other amusements. One of the important reasons for this is the one Pip mentions: Various factions may dislike aspects of [the] leadership, but if they agitate for his removal they risk an even worse (from their perspective) replacement.

And yet, and yet... We're about to enter a scenario completely unprecedented in peacetime, one where a major Western country and complex inter-connected economy voluntarily imposes massive economic and practical disruption on itself. Someone is going to get a hell of a lot of blame for that from every side. For the Brexiteers, as well as blaming the EU being bastards for having the temerity to take back control, it will be the wrong deal or the wrong sort of No Deal which causes the chaos. Farage is already on the case. For everyone else it will be the whole principle of Brexit, or at least the particular chaotic and bungling form of Brexit which the UK government has blundered into. Either way the buck stops with Boris. Enough to displace him? It doesn't look like it at the moment, but the chaos hasn't hit yet. Who knows?

The person to blame is David Cameron, he called the referendum.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    TOPPING said:

Not sure. We have now normalised empty shelves via Covid. Plus no one* will notice the extra administrative burden, to whatever degree it manifests itself, save for a "weren't these Stroopwafels a bit cheaper last week" type of thing. So there is a lot of leeway for absolute total fuck up that Boris can paint as near-normal.

I have been prominent on here saying he will go (I have nine more months of my bet to run) on the basis of logic. It was obvious from the moment that TMay took office that she was manifestly unfit for it and hence was, to quote a noted newspaper editor, a "dead man walking".

Boris is equally unfit to be PM. And he will fall. Just not in 24-hr rolling news time. People who are manifestly unfit for high office generally don't stay in that office for that long. cf J Corbyn.

That said, he does look sticky because all his failings are often waved away as the behaviour of a lovable scallywag.

*no one apart those who are filling out the forms and adhering to the new system, obvs.
    The question won't be "can we do without Stroopwafels?" or "I'm sure we didn't have to do these forms before?" It will be "What are we trying to do?" Once you start asking that question, people will be looking for a different way of doing things. Because no-one knows why we are Brexiting, really.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Boris is equally unfit to be PM. And he will fall. Just not in 24-hr rolling news time. People who are manifestly unfit for high office generally don't stay as PM for that long. cf J Corbyn.

Ordinarily he and many of his cabinet colleagues would have been marched out of office by now. Lying and corruption aren't usually politically survivable, yet the bar to serve in a senior role appears to be having been sacked for one or the other previously.

People won't realise how bad this is until it slaps them in the face. Customs checks whether under a deal or WTO will bring the UK supply chain to a crashing halt. When it gets untangled we'll find that we're paying a lot more for less things and every retailer and manufacturer and supplier will be saying why, intercut with the reporters embedded with the 48 hour queues to cross the channel.

"This isn't the Brexit we voted for" - big price rises, mass shortages, mass unemployment. You can't hide the impacts of the end of the free market and free customs, or blame it on the other party, or positively spin it as better than what we had. As reality collapses in on people Johnson will be gone. At speed.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

FF43 said:

Agreed. The restrictions Wales brought in on Friday are modelled on Scottish level 3, which is unlikely to be good enough when cases are already at 300/week/100,000 and still rising.
    Speaking of which, 2,021 cases in Wales today, after only 802 last Monday, taking the 7-day average per 100,000 to 339. This is looking really bad.

(It's now also overtaken the pre-circuitbreak high of 302, which means the circuitbreak bought five weeks altogether.)

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,017

Brexiteers will blame someone else for their folly till the day they die...
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Suggestion here that the EU doesn't need to worry about level playing field. Brexit will make UK business so uncompetitive versus the EU counterparts that no amount of UK government backtracking on regulations will make up the difference. Possibly true on labour an environmental standards, not so sure about State Aid. More to the point, EU members aren't going to risk it.

Actually I think that is right. The EU are worrying about the wrong thing: the big danger is that a major trading partner and export market falls into deep economic trouble, not that it is going to become a nimble super-competitor.

However, it's the latter thing that they think is the danger, and that there's sovereign right. They can demand whatever they think is in their interests.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    edited December 2020

Yes, I rarely bet (just here for the craic), but the best of the few bets I have made was on something not happening - in my case, Greece not leaving the euro at the height of their financial crisis. At time time, many people seemed to think it was almost inevitable, but there didn't actually seem to be any path it to happen.

Edit: More topically, I think there is a very good chance that we will get no (significant) deal. There just doesn't seem to be any common ground on which a deal can be made. Ergo, no deal.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Boris is equally unfit to be PM. And he will fall. Just not in 24-hr rolling news time. People who are manifestly unfit for high office generally don't stay as PM for that long. cf J Corbyn.

Ordinarily he and many of his cabinet colleagues would have been marched out of office by now. Lying and corruption aren't usually politically survivable, yet the bar to serve in a senior role appears to be having been sacked for one or the other previously.

People won't realise how bad this is until it slaps them in the face. Customs checks whether under a deal or WTO will bring the UK supply chain to a crashing halt. When it gets untangled we'll find that we're paying a lot more for less things and every retailer and manufacturer and supplier will be saying why, intercut with the reporters embedded with the 48 hour queues to cross the channel.

"This isn't the Brexit we voted for" - big price rises, mass shortages, mass unemployment. You can't hide the impacts of the end of the free market and free customs, or blame it on the other party, or positively spin it as better than what we had. As reality collapses in on people Johnson will be gone. At speed.
    I liken it to underfloor heating. It's been there for decades, working in the background. We've forgotten why it was put there, frankly. And we're digging it all up, in the middle of metaphorical and literal winter.

Even if the replacement turns out to be brilliant (and that's optimistic, because we don't know what the replacement is, just that we will be free to choose it), the early months are going to be brutal, because people don't know what to do. And we've forgotten how important that is, because it hasn't been an issue for a couple of generations. Do you think "Mr Gove told you all to prepare" is going to cut it? I don't.

And in that situation, Johnson basically doing a runner feels very on-brand.
  • Options
    So EU-UK trade deal negotiations into 2021 it is then.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Quincel said:

rkrkrk said:

I joined them twice, once many years ago and once a couple of years back which 'stuck'. I enter very few questions, but I do think it's a valuable exercise for people like us to do.
    Thanks - yes I may give it a go over Christmas!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

LOL the bitterness of the Cameroons never diminishes, but nonetheless if he hadn't called the referendum, there wouldn't have been Brexit. Probably the biggest political miscalculation since Suez.

I can only thank the man for the opportunity to vote.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, no deal as a strategy only makes sense if you prepare for it.

May, foolishly, didn't.

Her successor, foolishly, hasn't.

May at least had a deal on the table. Boris Johnson hasn't achieved concord* and hasn't prepared for discord.

*Yet. There's still time. But precious little.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

Gaussian said:

FF43 said:

Speaking of which, 2,021 cases in Wales today, after only 802 last Monday, taking the 7-day average per 100,000 to 339. This is looking really bad.

(It's now also overtaken the pre-circuitbreak high of 302, which means the circuitbreak bought five weeks altogether.)

I am sure posters will remember my stark warnings that Drakeford's failure to continue restrictions post the fire break, in his determination that a single firebreak was all that was needed, would have consequences and it gives me no pleasure to have been proved correct as Wales heads into a Christmas crisis far worse than England, Scotland or NI
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Gaussian said:

Gaussian said:

FF43 said:

I am not quite sure how Drakeford screwed up so badly -- he is by nature a very, very cautious individual.

As N Wales is pretty low, then it follows that S Wales (Cardiff & the Valleys) are in some trouble.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Gaussian said:

FF43 said:

There is also a message for England. Tier 2 is unlikely to be good enough, except for the Boondocks, of which there are almost none in England. Hopefully they will apply Tier 3 fairly quickly as Tier 2 cases rise. Otherwise you will be seeing lockdown again.
  • Options

Gaussian said:

Gaussian said:

FF43 said:

I am not quite sure how Drakeford screwed up so badly -- he is by nature a very, very cautious individual.

As N Wales is pretty low, then it follows that S Wales (Cardiff & the Valleys) are in some trouble.

And that is why Wales should be tiered

I really fear for parts of South Wales
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I'm sure they'll be happy to take the credit in the unlikely event that Brexit is a success.

The responsibility for Brexit lies firmly in the hands of those who campaigned and voted for it. If it is a success, they can claim the credit; if it is a failure, well, they are to blame.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I'm sure they'll be happy to take the credit in the unlikely event that Brexit is a success.

The responsibility for Brexit lies firmly in the hands of those who campaigned and voted for it. If it is a success, they can claim the credit; if it is a failure, well, they are to blame.
    And maybe the remain campaign should have done a lot better
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Gaussian said:

Gaussian said:

FF43 said:

Let us not forget, this Drakeford screw-up circuit breaker is the very same circuit-breaker that Starmer got so lippy with Boris for not introducing.
  • Options
    The only way there won't be trade negotiations after 1/1/21 is if it's all concluded this week.
  • Options

Gaussian said:

Gaussian said:

FF43 said:

I am sure posters will remember my stark warnings that Drakeford's failure to continue restrictions post the fire break, in his determination that a single firebreak was all that was needed, would have consequences and it gives me no pleasure to have been proved correct as Wales heads into a Christmas crisis far worse than England, Scotland or NI
    I vaguely recall you opposed the firebreak, period?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited December 2020
    Thatcher started to introduce the Poll Tax in 1989 and the Tories were 10 points + behind Kinnock's Labour in many polls by summer 1990 after trailing 11% behind Labour in the local elections that year and losing hundreds of Tory councillors, she was deposed and replaced by her Chancellor by Christmas that year.

If we do go to No Deal and Starmer Labour build a big poll lead and the Tories do terribly in the big round of county, district, London, Scottish and Welsh elections next year then Boris will find things start to get difficult, if not they won't
  • Options

TOPPING said:

You're losing your mind over what to most people will frankly be much ado about nothing, even in a no deal scenario.

You claim that there will be "big price rises" but how big? By how much? Inflation has been on the floor for years despite people repeatedly claiming that we were going to see big price rises, eg after sterling fell after the referendum I repeatedly was told on here that it would cause big price rises despite me regularly pointing out the official statistics said otherwise.

Even if there are WTO tariffs, even if sterling falls again, quite frankly inflation will be within standard ranges for inflation there is not going to be extreme stagflation or big price rises.

Whichever supermarket I go to do my shopping, the overwhelming majority of the produce sold - the milk, meat etc is stamped with a union flag. Those are products made in the UK, that would supposedly be facing tariffs in the EU if farmers wish to export them - and we're supposed to see massive price rises? Pull the other one! Price falls for domestic produce are more likely.

There'll be differential price variation - some products will go up in price and some will go down in price. That will lead to some product substitution as consumers choose naturally to go from more expensive (imported) products and instead purchase cheaper (domestic) produce. Which will mean less trade with Europe more than major increases to the cost of your weekly shop.

Large ticket price imports, like a Playstation 5 for instance, may become a bit more expensive. But people normally save up for those anyway.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,322

TOPPING said:

There usually needs to be a catalyst and your final paragraph paints a reasonably possible picture of that catalyst. But as I said we have had empty shelves in very recent memory so I'm not 100% sure he won't have a get out.
  • Options

Yes, I rarely bet (just here for the craic), but the best of the few bets I have made was on something not happening - in my case, Greece not leaving the euro at the height of their financial crisis. At time time, many people seemed to think it was almost inevitable, but there didn't actually seem to be any path it to happen.

Edit: More topically, I think there is a very good chance that we will get no (significant) deal. There just doesn't seem to be any common ground on which a deal can be made. Ergo, no deal.

There is no deal that will satisfy the ERG and Nigel Farage, and Johnson made clear long ago just how important they are to him. On that basis, I do not see how a deal can be done. That said, they are two potential counterfactuals:
    1. He did stand up to the loons on lockdown after a lot of prevarication.
    2. If you did want to do a deal and hoodwink people into supporting it, the less time you would want to give them to scrutinise what you have signed up for the better.
    As a bad deal is undoubtedly better than no deal, here's hoping.

This discussion has been closed.