Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And Betfair hasn’t even settled the £40m popular vote market – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106

It has to be intentional to be an offence, TSE. Unintentionally catching the ball is no more an offence in football than unintentionally bullying someone is in politics.
    The old ball to hand dodge. I've always thought that while it should not automatically be handball if it is accidental, if it has a significant impact then there are situations it can be. Like if a goal was denied because of accidental handball. An accidental trip still leads to a penalty.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,561
    Incredibly poor grammar. Do they mean ‘No Deal is feasible’ i.e. possible, or ‘no deal is feasible,’ i.e. that no deal could work?

I’m assuming it’s option two, but you never know with this lot.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    So if the EU never stops the conversation, and the EU doesn't give the UK a "win", what happens next?
    We have three weeks of threads on how Britain resembles a dockside hooker.

And then we have problems, if probably not chaos.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Not immediately going “au revoir” is good news tbh. I suspect there might have been some pinking of lines otherwise the door would have been shut.
    Could somebody tell me when the clock REALLY runs out on doing this deal? Is it 11pm on 31st? In which case, why are we all bothering to get excited until 10.55 pm on 31st?
    Suppose we get to then.

An the EU says "£30 million a day to keep the status quo until we sort this?"

If you were PM, what would you do?
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346

It has to be intentional to be an offence, TSE. Unintentionally catching the ball is no more an offence in football than unintentionally bullying someone is in politics.
    The late Diego Maradonna was an ardent supporter of that view.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,131

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Betfair are nearly as big a disgrace as fans of Millwall.

https://twitter.com/robsmithireland/status/1335270879480131584

I wouldn’t have said they were ‘open minded and decent.’ I’ve neither forgotten nor forgiven their rampages through Cardiff on match days fuelled by anti-Welsh xenophobia.
    Cardiff City v Millwall at Ninian Park? Not a pretty sight, I’m sure.
    Nearly as bad as when Scotland's finest visited Manchester in 2008.
    You mean the side that wants to play in the English Premier League?
    There's a reason why keep on saying No!

But whether they play in the EPL or the SPL they'll always be from Scotland, just like their fans.
    What's that reason, please? I haven't been following that side of life (in more senses than one).
    There's many reasons, like it would mean two PL clubs making way for the Old Firm, which won't happen, but the primary reason was that PL is based on selling a massively family friendly product but up to quite recent a successful Old Firm derby was when the police didn't have to open a murder inquiry.

There'd be too much risk to the PL brand if that violence was imported.

Just imagine on the last day of the season, Celtic are facing relegation, and the other side facing relegation had to play Rangers on the last day of the season, and Rangers lost (heavily).

That's a recipe for disaster.
    Hmm, quite an interesting perspective, thanks!

There is BTW a rather interesting (and very personal) piece in the Graun re the Ibrox Disaster - came out about 3-4 days ago if you haven't seen it.
  • Options

That was a Priti nasty comment.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Taking the knee is a pathetic Americanism that has no bearing in this country, anyone indulging in it is a bellend copycat pc cowardy cat.
    Only US Democrats do it, Trump can't stand it

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1332134725075546113?s=20
    That Trump and Millwall fans hate it is reason enough to do it
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Not immediately going “au revoir” is good news tbh. I suspect there might have been some pinking of lines otherwise the door would have been shut.
    Could somebody tell me when the clock REALLY runs out on doing this deal? Is it 11pm on 31st? In which case, why are we all bothering to get excited until 10.55 pm on 31st?
    Suppose we get to then.

Say that your price is £40 million?
  • Options
    Remind me, is @rcs1000 the site admin? I've been getting linkjacked when I click the top result on google to PB lately.

Has anyone else had vanilla playing up on mobile Safari incidentally?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Taking the knee is a pathetic Americanism that has no bearing in this country, anyone indulging in it is a bellend copycat pc cowardy cat.

That Trump and Millwall fans hates it is reason enough to do it
    Because it upsets the right people is not in itself a good reason for something.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022

dixiedean said:

Given West Ham fans have a history of disgusting racism and bigotry, I wonder if they'll follow Millwall's lead, ditto Chelsea later on.

Not to my ears.
    However Man U look like they are taking track and trace seriously. They appear to be dressed as a QR code.
    Newcastle did have the shockingly bad "barcode" strip one season.

https://i2-prod.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article10363984.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Quinn.jpg
    Ah! Mickey Quinn. How he used to entertain us Boro supporters with his shots at the corner flag!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    OnboardG1 said:

Remind me, is @rcs1000 the site admin? I've been getting linkjacked when I click the top result on google to PB lately.

Bugger. Has that happened again?

What a pain. Let me have a look
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Bugger. Has that happened again?

What a pain. Let me have a look
    Fraid so. Thanks for looking into it!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

I wouldn’t have said they were ‘open minded and decent.’ I’ve neither forgotten nor forgiven their rampages through Cardiff on match days fuelled by anti-Welsh xenophobia.

But whether they play in the EPL or the SPL they'll always be from Scotland, just like their fans.
    What's that reason, please? I haven't been following that side of life (in more senses than one).
    There's many reasons, like it would mean two PL clubs making way for the Old Firm, which won't happen, but the primary reason was that PL is based on selling a massively family friendly product but up to quite recent a successful Old Firm derby was when the police didn't have to open a murder inquiry.

Just imagine on the last day of the season, Celtic are facing relegation, and the other side facing relegation had to play Rangers on the last day of the season, and Rangers lost (heavily).

There is BTW a rather interesting (and very personal) piece in the Graun re the Ibrox Disaster - came out about 3-4 days ago if you haven't seen it.
    Yes, it was very powerful read, would recommend it to everybody.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/dec/03/rangers-football-forgotten-tragedy-ibrox-stadium-disaster-glasgow
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Suppose we get to then.

"According to your bus, it was £50 million a day, so how about you give us £60 million a day, just until all this is sorted. Everyone knows that renting by the hour is cheaper than purchase (suggestive leer)..."
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, Julius Caesar was offended that pirates who had captured him didn't charge a higher ransom for him. They did so, and he promised to crucify them.

Which he did. (If memory serves, he 'mercifully' slit their throats first).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,868
    edited December 2020
    https://twitter.com/jillongovt/status/1335284592744525825?s=20

So they’re repeating the same process expecting a different outcome
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    So if the EU never stops the conversation, and the EU doesn't give the UK a "win", what happens next?
    We choose to close down Kent with vast lorry queues.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501

I'm convinced the Betfair person running this market must be a MAGA cap wearing kinda person.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1335268230206722048

He wastes time on this nonsense and ignores the pandemic ravaging his country.

He should be tried for treason.
    They had the chance to impeach him for treason and the GOP backed him.

We get a four year breather before he is back again and the GOP candidate in 2024 by looks of things.
    I think you're being too doomy again. I predict he will fade away and cease to radiate surprisingly quickly once levered out of the White House.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    No deals on 1st Jan
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Yes. I peacefully scroll down (when it loads at all) and suddenly it snaps back without warning to about 50 comments ago.

I think it’s to do with JavaScript and Twitter.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    And Calais to Paris and Dublin to Cork
  • Options
    edited December 2020

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Suppose we get to then.

"According to your bus, it was £50 million a day, so how about you give us £60 million a day, just until all this is sorted. Everyone knows that renting by the hour is cheaper than purchase (suggestive leer)..."
    I was suggesting that he would think they were offering HIM £30 million a day to keep the status quo ante...

After all, we hold all the cards.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

HYUFD said:
    I thought we were simply going to wave lorries through? The problem will be them trying to get back into the EU.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Because it upsets the right people is not in itself a good reason for something.
    Nerdy post alarm.

I'm a modestly firm supporter of BLM but I'm uncomfortable importing movements wholesale from the US. Civil rights movements work best when they conform to local injustices and circumstances. Liberal Democracy, Communism, women's sufferage, LGBT rights movements and any other zeitgeist defining social and political movements were successful because they molded to the societies they were trying to change.

I guess there's an issue with the US dominating almost all discourse on the internet that their social movements inevitably bleed into ours even when it's not relevant. Taking the knee is a powerful expression of dissatisfaction at the state of the nation which cost a talented player his career, because it strikes at the perceived hypocrisy of the ideals in the US national myth. It doesn't mean anything here because that national myth is completely different.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I thought we were simply going to wave lorries through? The problem will be them trying to get back into the EU.
    Indeed and chaos everywhere, not just in the UK

I understand there has been a lot of stock piling and that makes sense
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Chaos maybe, but not queues.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Depends. Like EU passport holders using e-gates I suspect that’s “under review”.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No Qs, just As?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Suppose we get to then.

I was suggesting that he would think they were offering HIM £30 million a day to keep the status quo ante...

Yeah. About those cards...

(Seriously. Nobody wants to take the blame for No Deal, because bit will be rubbish and more rubbish for the UK. So the next hit of game theory is making the other player responsible.
    So a bit like misère, holding all the cards is about to be bad news.)
  • Options
    edited December 2020

HYUFD said:
    Depends. Like EU passport holders using e-gates I suspect that’s “under review”.
    I doubt it. Purposely delaying goods coming into the country wont exactly make the Government popular.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, it was very powerful read, would recommend it to everybody.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/dec/03/rangers-football-forgotten-tragedy-ibrox-stadium-disaster-glasgow
    Reading about him getting crushed on the stairs in 61 is genuinely horrifying. I'm glad that the worst I had to deal with going to the stands with my grandad was the odd rude sectarian.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I doubt it. Purposely delaying goods coming into the country wont exactly make the Government popular.
    But it won’t make EU governments unpopular if they do it?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I'm convinced the Betfair person running this market must be a MAGA cap wearing kinda person.

We get a four year breather before he is back again and the GOP candidate in 2024 by looks of things.
    I think you're being too doomy again. I predict he will fade away and cease to radiate surprisingly quickly once levered out of the White House.
    Not if he has money problems, and I think they will grow bigly as soon as he leaves the White House. He needs the campaign donations to keep his own personal finances afloat.

It's a kind of Ponzi scheme. As long as he can maintain the illusion of getting somewhere he can keep going.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Depends. What percentage of UK goods comes over the Channel from the EU? What percentage of EU goods comes over the Channel from the UK?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Not if he has money problems, and I think they will grow bigly as soon as he leaves the White House. He needs the campaign donations to keep his own personal finances afloat.

It's a kind of Ponzi scheme. As long as he can maintain the illusion of getting somewhere he can keep going.
    I hope I am being too gloomy, but I fear I am not. Only the grim reaper will stop him running again.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Suppose we get to then.

(Seriously. Nobody wants to take the blame for No Deal, because bit will be rubbish and more rubbish for the UK. So the next hit of game theory is making the other player responsible.
    Johnson, we are told, holds a royal flush.

The only thing is, negotiations are done according to the rules of Snap.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    ping said:

Betfair are being ridiculous.

I hope they have the money to pay out. I know I know, client funds are separate and protected etc, but I am starting to think the unthinkable...

They were desperately slow in 2016 to settle some markets.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/jillongovt/status/1335284592744525825?s=20

So they’re repeating the same process expecting a different outcome

Johnson thinks EU will blink.

Check your Brexit food store cupboards folks.
  • Options
  • Options

HYUFD said:

There are always queues crossing into the EU from 3rd countries like we are about to become. Ciaran the Courier (ex Three Men in a Pub) regularly posts screen grabs of land border crossing points and its double digit hours.

In reality the potential queues will be so bad that trucks won't be sent. As for stock-piling you can't do that for fresh food...
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916

I thought all this was panto. I still - just - think it is, but they're making a very convincing display of its being a genuine crisis,
    Oh no they aren't!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ping said:

Betfair are being ridiculous.

I hope they have the money to pay out. I know I know, client funds are separate and protected etc, but I am starting to think the unthinkable...

They were desperately slow in 2016 to settle some markets.
    The obvious way to pursue is under Trade Descriptions, on the basis that their bets are not fair.
  • Options
    von der Leyen giving time for Macron to blink.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Fans are pretty split on it, though a plurality in favour

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1317032782581858304?s=20
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/05/fears-of-long-hgv-tailbacks-at-brexit-lorry-park-near-warrington

This was on the Graun today. I must say, it does look rather small to cater for three Irish ferry ports?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916

Mr. Doethur, Julius Caesar was offended that pirates who had captured him didn't charge a higher ransom for him. They did so, and he promised to crucify them.

Which he did. (If memory serves, he 'mercifully' slit their throats first).

Your memory goes back a long way.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1335248497545719808

Credit to Boris, he is trying at the very least. May didn't even bother to try negotiating.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Suppose we get to then.

Could be worse.

My assumption has been that when Johnson said "we hold all the cards", he was talking about postcards he'd picked up from Westminster phone boxes.

Still, I suppose they mention French Lessons, which might be what he's about to get.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kinabalu said:

Seems that the Grand Prix this weekend is named after the Labour Leader. That's real global cut through and bodes well for GE24 imo.

I just got this :smiley: I was scratching my head for a bit...ah. D'oh.
  • Options

Credit to Boris, he is trying at the very least. May didn't even bother to try negotiating.

I hope you have lots of fish recipes for British fish next year, we will all be eating a lot more of it I think, in fact it may constitute our main diet at this rate
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,382
    edited December 2020
    OnboardG1 said:

The late Diego Maradonna was an ardent supporter of that view.
    The referee of that famous game is not only alive and well but was available to comment on it recently. He was very proud to have played his part in allowing the second goal - the goal of the century - to evolve through his repeated application of the advantage rule as Maradona kept going despite being fouled several times.

He was clearly unabashed by his failure to spot a fairly obvious handball for the first goal. His only faint acknowlegement of his error involved a reference to the linesman who was '...better placed to see what happened.' The linesman for his part reckoned FIFA instructions discouraged overruling a referee on major decisions.

Neither of them come out of it with much credit, in my view. Nor does FIFA, which shouldn't have appointed such inexperienced officials for such an important game.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,679
    HYUFD said:

I hope you have lots of fish recipes for British fish next year, we will all be eating a lot more of it I think, in fact it may constitute our main diet at this rate
    That really would not be a bad thing.
  • Options
    Can IBAS be used pre-emptively ? Betfair's latest update appears to contradict their "faithless elector" rule
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That really would not be a bad thing.
    I can see the campaign now. Led by John Redwood, imploring patriotic Brits to eat more herring instead of disgusting foreign fish like haddock.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Suppose we get to then.

Could be worse.

My assumption has been that when Johnson said "we hold all the cards", he was talking about postcards he'd picked up from Westminster phone boxes.

Still, I suppose they mention French Lessons, which might be what he's about to get.
    He was a coming man in French lessons, but apparently Bill Clinton sucked.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,843
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Fuck me, surely even you haven’t lost faith Hyufd?

If you have, I’m running for the hills.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K population

• Options
    UK local R

• Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,868
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

No, he's had the word from CCHQ that the French are to be blamed for the disappearance of cod and chips, KFC, and pizza. Nothing to do with the Conservative Party, oh no siree.
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,271
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

It really is a handy tool for identifying the ignorant and racist.
  • Options
    Middlesbrough isn't the same as the West End obviously, but Boro was similarly rammed with Covidiots this afternoon. Doing their government-mandated patriotic duty of buying Bangladesh-made clothes in Primark.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Suppose we get to then.

Could be worse.

He was a coming man in French lessons, but apparently Bill Clinton sucked.
    How have you managed without the scriptwriter work whilst I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue has been off-air?

(It was genuinely poingant this week. Mostly for Tim, but also because it was a recording from just before lockdown... An eternity ago.)
  • Options
    UK R

From case data

From hospitalisation data

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited December 2020
    Per CNN:

"For the second day in a row, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled 4-3 against a lawsuit attempting to invalidate the results of the state's presidential election.

The latest comes from the Wisconsin Voters Alliance alleging "material violations of Wisconsin law" by state elections officials and asking the court to prevent certification of the election by the Wisconsin Elections Commission so the "state legislature can lawfully appoint the electors."

As part of the concurring opinion, Justice Brian Hagedorn wrote they were being asked to perform an "unprecedented" task, opining, "We are invited to invalidate the entire presidential election in Wisconsin by declaring it 'null' -- yes, the whole thing. And there's more. We should, we are told, enjoin the Wisconsin Elections Commission from certifying the election so that Wisconsin's presidential electors can be chosen by the legislature instead, and then compel the Governor to certify those electors.""

Maybe that explains Betfair's caution? Is it really the case that if one Judge had gone the other way the entire Wisconsin election would be declared void (ie vote totals nil) and the legislature would appoint electors?

Seems extraordinary and frightening. And a warning of what might happen in the future even if it doesn't this year.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/04/politics/trump-election-defeats-courts/index.html
  • Options
    It really would be a chronic failure of statemanship to fail to agree a Deal now.

It comes down to level-playing field (round objects: we're never going to burn forests and pollute rivers, or slash holidays to zero, so environment, and workers rights aren't an issue - the only exception I can think of is tax), state aid (basically sorted, but needs to be fair and equitable on both sides - allow emergency support aid and some for new tech), regression governance (scope narrowly drawn, and fair) and a haggle on fish quotas.

This really should be do'able. Many some money would sweeten the pill?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

There are always queues crossing into the EU from 3rd countries like we are about to become. Ciaran the Courier (ex Three Men in a Pub) regularly posts screen grabs of land border crossing points and its double digit hours.

In reality the potential queues will be so bad that trucks won't be sent. As for stock-piling you can't do that for fresh food...
    Indeed you can't. Which is why we've been stockpiling frozen and tinned veg at home as a substitute. And food in general.
  • Options

von der Leyen giving time for Macron to blink.

Everyone will blink together and then say they were the only one who didn't.
  • Options
    The politics are that the EU now has to show extra leg, somewhere, because the French did a De Gaulle rudeness - and the UK can't be seen to be influenced by that.

It's as simple as that. Boris knows it. Ursula Andress knows it. And even Macron knows it.
  • Options
    People predicting that Brits will happily switch, en masse, to a seafood diet is ludicrous.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Nerdy post alarm.

I'm a modestly firm supporter of BLM but I'm uncomfortable importing movements wholesale from the US. Civil rights movements work best when they conform to local injustices and circumstances. Liberal Democracy, Communism, women's sufferage, LGBT rights movements and any other zeitgeist defining social and political movements were successful because they molded to the societies they were trying to change.

I guess there's an issue with the US dominating almost all discourse on the internet that their social movements inevitably bleed into ours even when it's not relevant. Taking the knee is a powerful expression of dissatisfaction at the state of the nation which cost a talented player his career, because it strikes at the perceived hypocrisy of the ideals in the US national myth. It doesn't mean anything here because that national myth is completely different.
    And while there will be some truth to these sorts of comments for those booing, they aren't entirely true and it it feels like it has the makings of things getting worse, not better, as accusations fly around.

"It is just disheartening. How do these fans get allocated to the games?" said former England defender Micah Richards

Former Coventry and Aston Villa striker Dion Dublin, who had a loan spell at Millwall in 2002, added: "They don't agree with taking the knee, which means they are racist. They don't agree with Black Lives Matter; that says they are racist to me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55111474

As for RIchards' comments, I understand his sincere frustration although as I have never experienced the sorts of things I am sure he has, I obviously cannot feel the same things as him in the exact way he does which will drive his justified anger and frustration, I'm not sure what he is saying there - are fans supposed to be asked if they are racist before entering the grounds? And they have to answer honestly?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Have you been told to start ramping up the fear of No Deal again?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

I did vote Remain if you recall, I would prefer a Deal still but am going to start preparing for No Deal I think from next week, may be an idea to get the supplies in for January, though if we do go to No Deal because the French would give us what we want on fish we will at least as I pointed out have lots more Cod, Plaice and Mackeral heading for British supermarkets rather than the continent
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Per CNN:

"For the second day in a row, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled 4-3 against a lawsuit attempting to invalidate the results of the state's presidential election.

The latest comes from the Wisconsin Voters Alliance alleging "material violations of Wisconsin law" by state elections officials and asking the court to prevent certification of the election by the Wisconsin Elections Commission so the "state legislature can lawfully appoint the electors."

As part of the concurring opinion, Justice Brian Hagedorn wrote they were being asked to perform an "unprecedented" task, opining, "We are invited to invalidate the entire presidential election in Wisconsin by declaring it 'null' -- yes, the whole thing. And there's more. We should, we are told, enjoin the Wisconsin Elections Commission from certifying the election so that Wisconsin's presidential electors can be chosen by the legislature instead, and then compel the Governor to certify those electors.""

Maybe that explains Betfair's caution? Is it really the case that if one Judge had gone the other way the entire Wisconsin election would be declared void (ie vote totals nil) and the legislature would appoint electors?

Seems extraordinary and frightening. And a warning of what might happen in the future even if it doesn't this year.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/04/politics/trump-election-defeats-courts/index.html

Only one judge would have granted the relief sought.

Even taking this into consideration, 'safe harbour' date is the 8th. The courts can't & won't hear on potential election changing deciding cases after this date.

A settlement date of the 14th and the 8th can only come about as a result of faithless electors changing the result.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I am close to this.

The sites have all got planning, vacant possession and hardstanding. But the buildings are nowhere near ready to be commissioned.

So it will be a portakabin, portaloo, mobile kebab van, traffic cones & marshalls and walkie-talkie job for the first 3-6 months, with lots and lots of extra operational HMRC required to make it work.

It'll be expensive and inefficient, and no doubt make for some juicy newspaper pics, but there's just enough (with a light-touch view on the rules for the first 6 months) to muddle through.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Can IBAS be used pre-emptively ? Betfair's latest update appears to contradict their "faithless elector" rule

I wouldn't have thought so.

Anyway the update is nonsensical so I don't know what they or anybody else is supposed to make of it. I don't think we have much choice now but to wait and see what Betfair do next. I guess they will pay out soon after the 14th when the College votes, although that would be as arbitrary and illogical as any date other than the one they should have paid out on.

I suspect that Betfair are coming under increasing pressure from irate punters and quite possibly the Gambling Commission too. The fact Biden's price has contracted noticeably in the past few days may be a reflection of this.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

This is like no-one daring to be the first to stop clapping Stalin's speech.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Seems that the Grand Prix this weekend is named after the Labour Leader. That's real global cut through and bodes well for GE24 imo.

I just got this :smiley: I was scratching my head for a bit...ah. D'oh.
    ☺ - It's the Sir Keir grand prix!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    edited December 2020
    Yes, bringing Nazis and Jews in is unnecessary.

He is right that the decision on puberty blockers does considerably modify case law for medical consent in the under 16s. "Gillick competence*" was the previous stance, but this takes things much further than just reversing that. The decision does seem to mean that puberty blockers cannot be prescribed to under 16s even with the consent of parents. What other life changing treatments will also be prevented? Perhaps cosmetic surgery is an obvious one, alongside abortion.

*the Gillick case was brought by a mother wanting to establish that contraceptives could not be prescribed under 16 without parent being informed. The ruling was that they could be, if the girl was mature enough to understand.
  • Options
    Agreed. Frost and Barnier have gone to the outer bounds of their mandates, IMHO.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,301
    HYUFD said:

I did vote Remain if you recall, I would prefer a Deal still but am going to start preparing for No Deal I think from next week, may be an idea to get the supplies in for January, though if we do go to No Deal because the French would give us what we want on fish we will at least as I pointed out have lots more Cod, Plaice and Mackeral heading for British supermarkets rather than the continent

We can rule out Johnson having Sturgeon for breakfast.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

This is like no-one daring to be the first to stop clapping Stalin's speech.
    Count me in the neutral 10%.
  • Options

It really would be a chronic failure of statemanship to fail to agree a Deal now.

It comes down to level-playing field (round objects: we're never going to burn forests and pollute rivers, or slash holidays to zero, so environment, and workers rights aren't an issue - the only exception I can think of is tax), state aid (basically sorted, but needs to be fair and equitable on both sides - allow emergency support aid and some for new tech), regression governance (scope narrowly drawn, and fair) and a haggle on fish quotas.

This really should be do'able. Many some money would sweeten the pill?

Surely the swivel chair and the ice cream?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

We can rule out Johnson having Sturgeon for breakfast.
    And is not cod imported anyway?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Oh yes he'll be picking their pockets. Never give suckers an even break. Bet that was in The Art of the Deal.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    eristdoof said:

I thought all this was panto. I still - just - think it is, but they're making a very convincing display of its being a genuine crisis,
    Oh no they aren't!
    The Oven Ready Deal? Its behind you!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596
    edited December 2020
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Per CNN:

Only one judge would have granted the relief sought.

Even taking this into consideration, 'safe harbour' date is the 8th. The courts can't & won't hear on potential election changing deciding cases after this date.

A settlement date of the 14th and the 8th can only come about as a result of faithless electors changing the result.
    This document is interesting - has details of the process. Apparently when the college people have voted and signed certificates they are then sent by registered mail .

Hmmm...

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF11641#:~:text=December 8, 2020: The “Safe Harbor” Deadline&text=in the counting of the,procedures, is required (3 U.S.C.
This discussion has been closed.