Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And Betfair hasn’t even settled the £40m popular vote market – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited December 2020 in General
imageAnd Betfair hasn’t even settled the £40m popular vote market – politicalbetting.com

Cook Political Report

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First?
  • Options
    CrabbieCrabbie Posts: 55
    edited December 2020
    It is starting to get a bit silly. I’ve put a few quid in at between 1.05 and 1.10 in the last month or so, but nothing in the last few weeks as my exposure is now a bit high.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Off topic but from previous thread
    RobD said:

If this is the only thing holding a deal back then it must be fairly certain?
    Not what but why. Macron's game is to break the negotiation on fish because he wants no deal and therefore a chance for Paris to get financial services from London. It is a win for him if the UK caves on fish ("look fisherfolk what I have got for you") but also he wins if the UK holds firm and there is no deal. Opprobrium from his EU partners is a small price to pay for this tactic.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    Crabbie said:

It is starting to get a bit silly. I’ve put a few quid in at between 1.05 and 1.10 in the last month or so, but nothing in the last few weeks as my exposure is now a bit high.

That’s a bit like saying when the Hindenburg Line was broken it was starting to look rather glum for the Germans.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

RobD said:

Not what but why. Macron's game is to break the negotiation on fish because he wants no deal and therefore a chance for Paris to get financial services from London. It is a win for him if the UK caves on fish ("look fisherfolk what I have got for you") but also he wins if the UK holds firm and there is no deal. Opprobrium from his EU partners is a small price to pay for this tactic.
    Yes, silly really for Boris to bet the farm on fish: 0.01% of GDP and all that. Boris must know that fish is the only goody he can sell to his base, the rest of the deal being one surrender after another. There's no other explanation.
  • Options
    There is one side effect of BF refusing to settle POTUS market. The 'heart beat' away means that those of us with a few quid on Harris as insurance against a covid disaster mid campaign are getting an extended run.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited December 2020
    Betfair are nearly as big a disgrace as fans of Millwall.

https://twitter.com/robsmithireland/status/1335270879480131584
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Was just about to say that they have the support of those commenting btl on the mail online:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9021343/Millwall-fans-BOO-players-knee-ahead-Championship-clash-Derby.html#comments-9021343
  • Options

I wouldn’t have said they were ‘open minded and decent.’ I’ve neither forgotten nor forgiven their rampages through Cardiff on match days fuelled by anti-Welsh xenophobia.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    geoffw said:

RobD said:

But will France get financial services from London? Really?

I mean, would you want your pension invested by the French?
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

Yes, silly really for Boris to bet the farm on fish: 0.01% of GDP and all that. Boris must know that fish is the only goody he can sell to his base, the rest of the deal being one surrender after another. There's no other explanation.
    Even more silly for Macron to ever even dream that Paris would get financial services from London. There are plenty of cities ahead of Paris if there is a move to the EU from London. If that is his thinking then he is in cloud cuckoo land.
  • Options

Ah, we've so missed having fans at games...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    ydoethur said:

I wouldn’t have said they were ‘open minded and decent.’ I’ve neither forgotten nor forgiven their rampages through Cardiff on match days fuelled by anti-Welsh xenophobia.
    Indeed, and who can forget Zampa the Lion getting a well-deserved seeing-too from Cyril the Swan?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cardiff City v Millwall at Ninian Park? Not a pretty sight, I’m sure.
  • Options
    ‘Makes you ask why the hell we even bother.’ Infectious disease experts face disillusionment as COVID-19 pandemic worsens

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/12/04/nation/makes-you-ask-why-hell-we-even-bother-infectious-disease-experts-face-disillusionment-covid-19-pandemic-worsens/

One of them had death threats just for testifying before Congress about the inefficacy of hydroxychloroquine.
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

Even more silly for Macron to ever even dream that Paris would get financial services from London. There are plenty of cities ahead of Paris if there is a move to the EU from London. If that is his thinking then he is in cloud cuckoo land.
    Wipe that smirk off your face, Frankfurt....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Indeed, and who can forget Zampa the Lion getting a well-deserved seeing-too from Cyril the Swan?
    Well, I have for one, tbh.
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

Of course not all of it. Only a fraction - that part for which a presence in the EU is valuable. However that could still be a big win for him.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Nearly as bad as when Scotland's finest visited Manchester in 2008.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Betfair are being ridiculous.

I hope they have the money to pay out. I know I know, client funds are separate and protected etc, but I am starting to think the unthinkable...
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

I have no idea, but there is a piece in today's Telegraph saying that Paris is the 2nd finance choice after London and others like Frankfurt wont get a look in.
  • Options
    Given West Ham fans have a history of disgusting racism and bigotry, I wonder if they'll follow Millwall's lead, ditto Chelsea later on.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Well, I have for one, tbh.
    It is etched on my mind as one of those unforgettable sporting moments, not least because the swan got the better of the lion.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997

geoffw said:

RobD said:

They have significantly better pensions than the UK, by a country mile. No coincidence UK is the worst pension in the developed world.
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

Worth a try though. And even if these companies desert London for somewhere else, he will still have succeeded in eviscerating a major rival - so France will doubtless get some of the spoils from elsewhere. Macron has played a blinder.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Ah, we've so missed having fans at games...
    It's raw, and can be ugly at times. But it's real. Better to know than not know what even might be a tiny group feel.
  • Options
    I'm convinced the Betfair person running this market must be a MAGA cap wearing kinda person.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1335268230206722048
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Taking the knee is a pathetic Americanism that has no bearing in this country, anyone indulging in it is a bellend copycat pc cowardy cat.
    Well, I wouldn't put it quite that way myself, but I do wonder what it adds to the already existing anti-racism kickitout campaigns, and if it will continue until racism no longer exists (and therefore what to add on top of it if racism doesn't go away forever). Booing a gesture, even if it is naff, is a bit crappy though.
  • Options
    Not as audible as at Millwall, but some discontent at the tax payer stadium.
  • Options
    Had to take a trip into Middlesbrough this afternoon. From what I've seen Tier 3 isn't enough of a restriction for them. Boro has several indoor shopping malls. About a third of shoppers either not wearing a mask or exposing their nose and sometimes their mouth as well. Stores with queue lines outside, no attempt at spacing, people literally coughing on each other. Utterly stupid behaviour.
  • Options

I'm convinced the Betfair person running this market must be a MAGA cap wearing kinda person.

I know it goes without saying, but it really is ever more clear that he has no idea how things work. Quite why winning Georgia, somehow, would affect the results in other States, is unclear to me.
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

I have no idea, but there is a piece in today's Telegraph saying that Paris is the 2nd finance choice after London and others like Frankfurt wont get a look in.
    In 2019 France was the highest taxed country in the EU, having passed Denmark in 2017. That matters, both to the big companies and the people who work for them. They won't necessarily go for the lowest tax regime but they will certainly think twice about the highest, particularly given Paris still has some very serious social and industrial issues which have only abated temporarily because of Covid.

Macron isn't willing or able to deal with this and that is why Paris will not succeed London as the main EU financial centre.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

Have twitter finally given up tagging his posts?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,635
    malcolmg said:

Taking the knee is a pathetic Americanism that has no bearing in this country, anyone indulging in it is a bellend copycat pc cowardy cat.
    "In this country" Hmmm.
  • Options

Had to take a trip into Middlesbrough this afternoon. From what I've seen Tier 3 isn't enough of a restriction for them. Boro has several indoor shopping malls. About a third of shoppers either not wearing a mask or exposing their nose and sometimes their mouth as well. Stores with queue lines outside, no attempt at spacing, people literally coughing on each other. Utterly stupid behaviour.

Smoggies for you.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Well, I wouldn't put it quite that way myself, but I do wonder what it adds to the already existing anti-racism kickitout campaigns, and if it will continue until racism no longer exists (and therefore what to add on top of it if racism doesn't go away forever). Booing a gesture, even if it is naff, is a bit crappy though.
    Adds nothing to the cause
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

Given West Ham fans have a history of disgusting racism and bigotry, I wonder if they'll follow Millwall's lead, ditto Chelsea later on.

Not to my ears.
    However Man U look like they are taking track and trace seriously. They appear to be dressed as a QR code.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I know it goes without saying, but it really is ever more clear that he has no idea how things work. Quite why winning Georgia, somehow, would affect the results in other States, is unclear to me.
    I presume his strategy is to try and show fraud in one state and then use that to put pressure on other states to do the same thing. It is rubbish of course but you can at least see the method in his madness.
  • Options
    Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.03
    Democrats 1.03
    Biden PV 1.02
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.03
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.03
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.06
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.06
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.04
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.05
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 no offers

AZ Dem 1.04
    GA Dem 1.05
    MI Dem 1.03
    NV Dem 1.02
    PA Dem 1.03
    WI Dem 1.04

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.11
    Trump exit date 2021 1.07
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

malcolmg said:

"In this country" Hmmm.
    Malc, your cover has been blown! :o
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

The main thing going for Frankfurt is the presence of the ECB there. Financial services need to get over a threshold size to benefit from economies of scale and, more importantly, economies of scope. Other than the ECB what advantage does Frankfurt-a-M have over Paris which has all the French government and decision makers on hand?

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

Smoggies for you.
    Just typical Yorkshiremen really.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Not to my ears.
    However Man U look like they are taking track and trace seriously. They appear to be dressed as a QR code.
    They look like zebras.

Bloody ManU, I transfer in Fernandes as captain, and OGS puts him on the bench.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

"In this country" Hmmm.
    Malc, your cover has been blown! :o
    Drat!
    I admit I am really Torquil Ponsonby-Farquharson, went to Eton and am best buddies with Boris as well as a die hard Lions fan.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

The main thing going for Frankfurt is the presence of the ECB there. Financial services need to get over a threshold size to benefit from economies of scale and, more importantly, economies of scope. Other than the ECB what advantage does Frankfurt-a-M have over Paris which has all the French government and decision makers on hand?

It doesn't have weekly riots with running battles in the streets and the taxes are lower.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Doesn't know and/or doesn't care. I'm not sure which is worse.

He's either deliberately lying and obfuscating trying to mislead his supporters and stoke a sense of grievance . . . or he's so surrounded by "Yes men" that there's nobody around him prepared to say "No Mr President, that's not how it works".
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,247
    Seems that the Grand Prix this weekend is named after the Labour Leader. That's real global cut through and bodes well for GE24 imo.
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

It doesn't have weekly riots with running battles in the streets and the taxes are lower.
    Germany also has the benefit of having lots of people who speak fluent English unlike the nation of collaborators.

Which is very useful as English is the lingua franca of the financial services industry.
  • Options

Smoggies for you.
    Just typical Yorkshiremen really.
    If you posted that on Twitter you'd get a tag for posting fake news.
  • Options
    Nine days to the 14th which is when the Electoral College votes for Biden and, we have been told, Betfair will settle. Sure they should have settled weeks ago and could still settle next Tuesday (safe harbour) but nine days is to be.
  • Options
    ping said:

I hope they have the money to pay out. I know I know, client funds are separate and protected etc, but I am starting to think the unthinkable...

ping said:

Doubt they lack the funds. Difficult though to assess what the reason is.

I wouldn't be inclined to attribute to malice or mischief anything which can readily be explained by incompetence.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    geoffw said:

RobD said:

Personally, I think he's posing and acting "tough". In a No Deal scenario, there wouldn't be a single "financial services" winner anyway. I think the EU would look very much like the US does, with financial services spread out across the continent.

Frankfurt would get German and Eastern European Corporate Finance (despite being in Western Europe). Munich would get asset management. Dublin will be everyone's back office. Sweden will become the hub for Scandinavia. And Paris will probably get the trading desks of the French banks back.

Which is really just BNP. And most of that is in Paris anyway.
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

Germany also has the benefit of having lots of people who speak fluent English unlike the nation of collaborators.

Which is very useful as English is the lingua franca of the financial services industry.
    A City friend once lamented that French traders could not speak English, at least until they established you could not speak French, at which point they could learn English in 30 seconds or less. Clever people, the French.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,635
    dixiedean said:

Not to my ears.
    Newcastle did have the shockingly bad "barcode" strip one season.

https://i2-prod.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article10363984.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Quinn.jpg
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    geoffw said:

RobD said:

Hmm depends what can be worked out on fish. There’s worse deals for our fishing industry than say no change but time limited.
    You are right, something Farage can call a sell out on fish or no deal.

The people who made all the brexit promises 4 years ago are the wrong uns to be leading this deal negotiation, they are not negotiating for good of this country or even to strengthen brexit in long run, simply negotiating for their own short term credibility.

All the 48 and big minority of the 52 would settle for something more than a Canada style FTA brexit. But even the Canada FTA let alone something more is incompatible with all the promises made. Hence a negotiation not in the national or even brexits long term interest.
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

That's a little harsh: there have been some excellent individual French portfolio managers (Frederic Gaultier at Fidelity, for example) and some pretty decent asset management firms
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

True. And neither city holds a candle to London atm, and I agree with you that Macron's goal is a chimera. But that doesn't mean he's not going to try it on. What does he have to lose?

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,649

kle4 said:

I presume his strategy is to try and show fraud in one state and then use that to put pressure on other states to do the same thing. It is rubbish of course but you can at least see the method in his madness.
    It’s all bullshit.
    https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1334998923161853953

The only ‘methods’ are grift and intimidation.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

ping said:

ping said:

Doubt they lack the funds. Difficult though to assess what the reason is.

I wouldn't be inclined to attribute to malice or mischief anything which can readily be explained by incompetence.
    I do hope you’re right, Peter.

We’ll see...
  • Options

He wastes time on this nonsense and ignores the pandemic ravaging his country.

He should be tried for treason.
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

A City friend once lamented that French traders could not speak English, at least until they established you could not speak French, at which point they could learn English in 30 seconds or less. Clever people, the French.
    As someone who can speak seven* languages it is amusing to feign ignorance when you actually know that particular language.

*Eight if you include American.
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

There was a piece in the Telegraph about Estonia is turning to shale for energy, and it suggested that Estonia was about to become a shale gas powerhouse.

What they actually do in Estonia - and have done for thousands of years - is dig up shale and use it for fuel.

It was an article that was written by someone who knows literally nothing about the energy industry.

So I wouldn't put any money on their "source" being right.
  • Options
    When was the last time qualifying had sub one minute laps?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    malcolmg said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

They have significantly better pensions than the UK, by a country mile. No coincidence UK is the worst pension in the developed world.
    Not once you include private pensions which are now compulsory via auto enrollment
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,320
    edited December 2020

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

As someone who can speak seven* languages it is amusing to feign ignorance when you actually know that particular language.

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

* Nine if you include Rubbish? ;)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

You mean the side that wants to play in the English Premier League?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

It’s all bullshit.
    https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1334998923161853953

The only ‘methods’ are grift and intimidation.
    He can frame the courts as in on it against him, and talk about how many cases about fraud there were (even though many explicitly were not about fraud), and state that proves there was a lot of fraud. Winning a case would be incidental to that.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

There's a reason why keep on saying No!

But whether they play in the EPL or the SPL they'll always be from Scotland, just like their fans.
  • Options

They had the chance to impeach him for treason and the GOP backed him.

We get a four year breather before he is back again and the GOP candidate in 2024 by looks of things.
  • Options
    Time for the 'We've done all we can, it's up to them/nothing has changed' statement.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

There was a piece in the Telegraph about Estonia is turning to shale for energy, and it suggested that Estonia was about to become a shale gas powerhouse.

What they actually do in Estonia - and have done for thousands of years - is dig up shale and use it for fuel.

It was an article that was written by someone who knows literally nothing about the energy industry.

So I wouldn't put any money on their "source" being right.
    I think that @rottenborough is referring to a piece by Matthew Lynn - not a "source" to be sneered at imho. Why deplore all their writers because of one dodgy one on a totally different topic?

• Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

True. And neither city holds a candle to London atm, and I agree with you that Macron's goal is a chimera. But that doesn't mean he's not going to try it on. What does he have to lose?

Merkel's goodwill. She will be fuming if he f*cks a deal this weekend.
  • Options

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_French_Grand_Prix
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

That's a little harsh: there have been some excellent individual French portfolio managers (Frederic Gaultier at Fidelity, for example) and some pretty decent asset management firms
    I don't doubt it. My distrust is rather more pointed at the French state.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_French_Grand_Prix
    Ta.
  • Options

They had the chance to impeach him for treason and the GOP backed him.

We get a four year breather before he is back again and the GOP candidate in 2024 by looks of things.
    Can he conduct a campaign from a prison cell?
  • Options
    I thought all this was panto. I still - just - think it is, but they're making a very convincing display of its being a genuine crisis,
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Time for the 'We've done all we can, it's up to them/nothing has changed' statement.
    And then after that? She could read out the average border crossing times 3rd country to EU. Followed by "good luck" or perhaps "its your funeral".
  • Options
    It is interesting that von der Leyen is getting the first punch in...
  • Options

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

Merkel's goodwill. She will be fuming if he f*cks a deal this weekend.
    But she's on the way out, and Macron plans to still be in the game for years.
  • Options

kle4 said:

And then after that? She could read out the average border crossing times 3rd country to EU. Followed by "good luck" or perhaps "its your funeral".
    *shrugs* Wait to see if we blink further.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

But whether they play in the EPL or the SPL they'll always be from Scotland, just like their fans.
    What's that reason, please? I haven't been following that side of life (in more senses than one).
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291
    Not immediately going “au revoir” is good news tbh. I suspect there might have been some pinking of lines otherwise the door would have been shut.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,695
    "Down with the New Normal
    Who wants to live in a nerdy world of no handshakes and no big sweaty crowds?
    Brendan O'Neill"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/12/04/down-with-the-new-normal/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    So if the EU never stops the conversation, and the EU doesn't give the UK a "win", what happens next?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    OnboardG1 said:

Not immediately going “au revoir” is good news tbh. I suspect there might have been some pinking of lines otherwise the door would have been shut.
    "Adieu" would have been worrying, "au revoir" positively encouraging.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Could somebody tell me when the clock REALLY runs out on doing this deal? Is it 11pm on 31st? In which case, why are we all bothering to get excited until 10.55 pm on 31st?
  • Options
    It has to be intentional to be an offence, TSE. Unintentionally catching the ball is no more an offence in football than unintentionally bullying someone is in politics.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    So if the EU never stops the conversation, and the EU doesn't give the UK a "win", what happens next?
    We leave the single market and customs union in January on WTO terms and continue until an agreement is made on fishing
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

What's that reason, please? I haven't been following that side of life (in more senses than one).
    There's many reasons, like it would mean two PL clubs making way for the Old Firm, which won't happen, but the primary reason was that PL is based on selling a massively family friendly product but up to quite recent a successful Old Firm derby was when the police didn't have to open a murder inquiry.

There'd be too much risk to the PL brand if that violence was imported.

Just imagine on the last day of the season, Celtic are facing relegation, and the other side facing relegation had to play Rangers on the last day of the season, and Rangers lost (heavily).

That's a recipe for disaster.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    malcolmg said:

Only US Democrats do it, Trump can't stand it

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1332134725075546113?s=20
This discussion has been closed.