Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Attorney-General Barr be next in line to be sacked by Trump? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited December 2020 in General
imageCould Attorney-General Barr be next in line to be sacked by Trump? – politicalbetting.com

Screen grab ABC news

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    It'll depend whether Trump's sense of humour has finally deserted him
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    A G Barr, don't they make Irn Bru?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

At first I thought there was a link with the actor who played IrnSde, but he was Burr....
  • Options

At first I thought there was a link with the actor who played IrnSde, but he was Burr....
    Bill Barr is no Perry Mason!
  • Options
    Roger said:

It'll depend whether Trump's sense of humour has finally deserted him

A G Sidney Powell has a ring to it.
  • Options
    Can Trump name a replacement without Senate hearings or would a deputy takeover?

If the latter is the deputy any more likely to back his lies? Or would it be sackings all the way down until he finds someone willing to back him?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,646

Can Trump name a replacement without Senate hearings or would a deputy takeover?

If the latter is the deputy any more likely to back his lies? Or would it be sackings all the way down until he finds someone willing to back him?

Who would be mad enough to take the job? Not the longest of tenues.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited December 2020
    On topic, lock them both up.
  • Options
    Elton's looking more statesmanlike as the year's pass
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,696
    Grim news from Italy, nearly a thousands deaths reported today.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited December 2020

He can do either.

However AIUI the acting AG has to be someone previously confirmed by the Senate in their current role.

He cannot for example make Rudi G or Ivanka the acting AG.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    I'm somewhat at a loss to understand why Barr made his recent comments. His precious actions for Trump don't suggest much commitment to institutions or process such that he felt compelled to be honest, and even if hecannot find evidence to support what Trump has been spewing it's surprising he even went as far as he did in upsetting Trump.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    kle4 said:

I'm somewhat at a loss to understand why Barr made his recent comments. His precious actions for Trump don't suggest much commitment to institutions or process such that he felt compelled to be honest, and even if hecannot find evidence to support what Trump has been spewing it's surprising he even went as far as he did in upsetting Trump.

Trying to salvage a tiny bit of pride and reputation from the wreckage?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Who'd kick a man when he's down?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiV5N0qU_vI
  • Options
    FPT

Interesting tweet, from a well-informed source:

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/status/1334515838636978176

This doesn’t sound like the EU buckling to me.
    This idea anyone is buckling ignores any negotiations where a deal is being thrashed out

Maybe wait for the detail if and when a deal is struck
    Eh? I'm not one of the few who's been saying for months that the EU would "buckle" because "we hold all the cards".

Frankly I'm happy that a deal looks closer today.
    I have never believed we hold all the cards but equally neither does the EU

A deal needs compromise on both sides
    Has anyone said the UK has no cards?

I can think of people, here and in the public space, who have said that the UK has all the cards, or pocket aces or whatever.

I can also think of people who think that the UK has fewer, and lower value, cards than the EU, and that we've not played them as smartly as we could have.

So the logic is that, when a deal comes (and it will have to, because the UK really needs a deal), it will be much closer to the EU's vision than the UK's. A body representing more people and more GDP is bound to have a dominant say in such a situation. From a purely democratic point of view, that's how it should be.

So yes- there will be compromises on both sides. But one side is going to continue to compromise much more than the other. From this starting point, I'm OK with that, because the alternative is even worse. But is the Conservative Party as currently configured going to be OK with that?
    Sure Tories are OK with it since its the EU that will be compromising more.

Its really simple. Divergence not possible = EU vision. Divergence possible = UK vision.
    The EU is not saying that divergence isn't possible, just that you can't get a free ride while doing so.
    And from memory, the question about divergence/retaliation was more about the extent. The UK wanted a model of "if the UK unilaterally diverges on X, the EU can retaliate on X and only X", whereas the EU wanted a model of "if the UK diverges on X, we will take a sovereign decision of where we retaliate".

The UK's model might sound fairer, but it means that the UK can unpick any compromises it makes to get The Deal. And even if the EU can do the same, they're not interested in playing that game.

But the landing point matters. If the UK has absolute freedom to diverge, it's not offering much to get the benefits it wants. If the penalties of divergence are pitched sufficiently high, the UK has a freedom to diverge that it will never be in the UK's interests to exercise. And what's the point of that?
    If you're OK with No Deal as I am and as many Tory MPs are then its not possible for the penalties of divergence to be pitched that high. A deal with the UK having unilateral control of our laws is an absolute win/win as we gain both the freedom to set our own laws and we have a deal. That would be fantastic.

That is why Barnier has been against that. He wants us tied down and committed, no ifs or buts. If the worst the EU has is retaliations and the UK isn't tied down then we're trading on similar terms to WTO (which operates the same way) but with a deal. Great, what's not to like?
    But that only works if Phillip's understanding of international trade is better than all those silly people who waste time compromising sovereignty to agree trade deals. Or that mad fool Mrs Thatcher when she pushed for the single market.

It only works if Phillip's understanding of business logistics is better than the people who do it for a living.

It only works if Phillip's understanding of the business of selling fish is better than people who do it as their job.

Now that's all possible...
    No. I am just one voter and rather inconsequential in the big picture.

The point is if that is the deal then the control will be in Parliament's hands. Which is all I have ever wanted.

So that will mean it matters not what I think, nor you, nor fishermen nor logistics businesses, nor importers nor exporters. What matters is instead how the Commons votes and the Commons will vote depending upon how everyone - fishermen, logisticians, business people, you and me can each get our say at the ballot box.

It is democracy. It is sovereign control. It is what we voted for five years ago!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2020
    Winchester 1997.

Fingers crossed. I'm sceptical.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if it's Warnock and the crookPerdue who get elected.
  • Options
    How many abstentions from Trump supporters who now don't believe in ballots?
  • Options
    Fingers crossed. They almost seem like they want to lose, since there seem far easier ways to complain about the election result which don't encourage your supporters not to vote, but the state is clearly highly polarised so who the hell knows.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

kle4 said:

I suppose it's technically never too late, but halfway through the suicidal cavalry charge is an odd time to have second thoughts.
  • Options
    Avonmouth Wessex Water tank explosion - four fatalities, one injury, non-life threatening.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Fingers crossed. They almost seem like they want to lose, since there seem far easier ways to complain about the election result which don't encourage your supporters not to vote, but the state is clearly highly polarised so who the hell knows.
    The big unknown is if Democrats will be motivated enough to GOTV? Normally after winning people are less motivated but Trumps actions are going to stoke Democrats.
  • Options

Winchester 1997.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if it's Warnock and the crookPerdue who get elected.
    Fwiw, Georgia was about the only battleground state that the polls had right.
  • Options

kle4 said:

The big unknown is if Democrats will be motivated enough to GOTV? Normally after winning people are less motivated but Trumps actions are going to stoke Democrats.
    Being told repeatedly that you haven't won by the POTUS might be mildly motivating?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Andy_JS said:

Grim news from Italy, nearly a thousands deaths reported today.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

They are going to overtake us in the number of deaths some time early next week. And in cases probably even before that. Italy has had a really bad run, sadly.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Gaussian said:

kle4 said:

I suppose it's technically never too late, but halfway through the suicidal cavalry charge is an odd time to have second thoughts.
    Harry Flashman didn't think so.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Stacey Abrams is still doing her magic in Georgia.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Stacey Abrams is still doing her magic in Georgia.
    They won by 'magic'? Obviously code for rigging it. Witches aren't allowed to vote, it's in the constitution.
  • Options
    Trump's gonna run out of henchmen to sack, soon.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    I think its a joke Malcolm.
  • Options
    We do seem to be edging forward but lord, this is slow.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,649
    Scott_xP said:
    Trump calling on Barr to investigate him ?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    "Do you want to actually get something done, or do you want to feel good among the people you already agree with?"

When Obama was in office was he quite this, er, cutting on the louder elements within the Democrats? Or is he just less inclined to restrain himself now he's not president?

https://twitter.com/fran_chambers/status/1334120230864433156/photo/1
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,635
    edited December 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    AG Barr. Made in Scotland from girders?

Edit. I see that I'm an hour too late with that one!

However, I will add that if the electoral college is 269-269, AG Barr can declare it a Tizer!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    It'll be close. Chance of Purdue/Warner
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Gaussian said:

kle4 said:

Rats off a sinking ship comes to mind. Or the "for Wales" quote too.

It's one thing being a stooge for dodgy stuff when you can get your way and make your mark for years.

But when you know your side has lost, you know you're going to be out of a job either way, you know your own side is trying to steal an election (and not even doing a good job about it) and you know there could be lawsuits or investigations into the antics in the future then getting out of dodge and gaining some plausible deniability from the loonies can be ideal.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    edited December 2020
    Starmer saying just now he will vote for a deal is going to ruffle a lot of feathers in the remain community
  • Options

Starmer saying just now he will vote for a deal is going to ruffle a lot of feathers in the remain community

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
  • Options

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:
    I think its a joke Malcolm.
    Unfortunately David there are people out there that believe that, he may be jesting but you see it on social media all the time. There are loonies aplenty, look at this

Scottish independence: Tories' obsession reaches new heights in campaign leaflet
    https://www.thenational.scot/news/18918554.scottish-independence-tories-obsession-reaches-new-heights-campaign-leaflet/?ref=twtrec
  • Options

It will also maximize the ERG vote against any deal.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,292
    edited December 2020
    malcolmg said:
    At least with his iPhone they can track where he is.... ;)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,745
    edited December 2020
    How not to do it:

https://twitter.com/GaryBurgessCI/status/1334554012750934021?s=20

That's the equivalent of 41,000 cases in the UK
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

It will also maximize the ERG vote against any deal.
    I doubt it, maybe a few diehards
  • Options

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Probably different round your bit, but the majority of the people in my country are a little bit sad about being forced out of the EU against their will. Whether they're a community or in mourning could be debated I guess.
  • Options

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    OMG the EU died! Why did nobody tell me? If the EU has died who have we been negotiating with for the last four years (and for the next thirty)?
  • Options
    edited December 2020

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    OMG the EU died! Why did nobody tell me? If the EU has died who have we been negotiating with for the last four years (and for the next thirty)?
    Pedantic comment.

Many mourn the UK leaving the EU
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Survey USA put up extensive demographic tables and usually lots of supplemental questions.

So there will be plenty to dig into.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Pedantic comment.

FYI, this site is informally known as pedanticposting.com
  • Options

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Pedantic comment.

Not being wholly pedantic. There is a kind of "fog in the Channel, Europe cut off" mentality sometimes evident on this site. I read your comment as revealing, perhaps subconsciously, a little of that mindset. As if, through our leaving, the EU had died, or at least gone away. In fact, the EU will feature even more prominently in our news and in our public life now we have left.
    Also, of course, in the long run it is more likely that Brexit kills the UK than the EU.
  • Options

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Probably different round your bit, but the majority of the people in my country are a little bit sad about being forced out of the EU against their will. Whether they're a community or in mourning could be debated I guess.
    We are pure raging TUD, time to get us direct Ferry links to Europe for sure.
  • Options

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Pedantic comment.

Not being wholly pedantic. There is a kind of "fog in the Channel, Europe cut off" mentality sometimes evident on this site. I read your comment as revealing, perhaps subconsciously, a little of that mindset. As if, through our leaving, the EU had died, or at least gone away. In fact, the EU will feature even more prominently in our news and in our public life now we have left.
    Also, of course, in the long run it is more likely that Brexit kills the UK than the EU.
    You have misread my comment

I do not have such a mind set and expect in time both the UK and EU will be successful and trade closely

Also I did vote remain
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    London case data not looking good, but still not showing up in the hospitalisation/death data compared to regions with similar case levels.

I think London simply has too much activity with or without lockdown and we're just going to have to live with a higher underlying level of infections until the vaccine programme reaches the major target groups.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Pedantic comment.

Of course. It is a site for people who enjoy trying to convince strangers on the Internet that they are wrong. That such people exhibit pedantic tendencies is surely a given.
  • Options
    Can I say that I was impressed with this from Barr:

"To date, we have not seen fraud on a scale that could have effected a different outcome in the election," Barr said.

Using effect as a verb correctly!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    They would be cruises rather than ferries in travel time, and crossing the North Sea on one occasion matched our experiences in Drake's Passage
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Pedantic comment.

Of course. It is a site for people who enjoy trying to convince strangers on the Internet that they are wrong. That such people exhibit pedantic tendencies is surely a given.
    Obligatory I think:

• Options
    Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.03
    Democrats 1.03
    Biden PV 1.02
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.04
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.04
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.05
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.05
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.03
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.04
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 no offers

AZ Dem 1.04
    GA Dem 1.04
    MI Dem 1.03
    NV Dem 1.04
    PA Dem 1.04
    WI Dem 1.03

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.13
    Trump exit date 2021 1.08
  • Options

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    I don't see why: the opportunity to stop Brexit has long gone. A deal - however paltry - does at least amount to a first step on the gruelling road back to fulfilling our European destiny. No Deal, with all the ensuing acrimony and hardship, would have made it far more difficult and painful.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    I don't see why: the opportunity to stop Brexit has long gone. A deal - however paltry - does at least amount to a first step on the gruelling road back to fulfilling our European destiny. No Deal, with all the ensuing acrimony and hardship, would have made it far more difficult and painful.
    Yes, the Deal is the first step to salami slicing Brexit into non-existence.
  • Options

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Pedantic comment.

Besides, I'm not sure that many will mourn the concept of leaving the EU. One of the reasons that 2016 went the way it did was that Remain's arguments were much more about pragmatism, whereas the Leave case had a much stronger grasp of the feels.

If people end up unhappy with Brexit, it will be because it costs things people value and gives them things that they don't.

Over to you, government...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    I think all but the most EUphobic Unionists think reinstating a ferry link would be a good thing. I'm a bit mystified why it hasn't been pushed more in fact.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    I think all but the most EUphobic Unionists think reinstating a ferry link would be a good thing. I'm a bit mystified why it hasn't been pushed more in fact.
    On a serious note the distances involved and sea conditions do complicate the viability of sea ferries from Scotland to mainland Europe.

Of course it can be done but not sure how successful it would be
  • Options

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    They would be cruises rather than ferries in travel time, and crossing the North Sea on one occasion matched our experiences in Drake's Passage
    Rosyth ferry was excellent G, was sad to see it dropped. Rosyth to Holland is not really longer than Newcastle - Ijmuiden , late afternoon and arrive next morning and saves a long drive, Dover is just a joke given distance. You get a good night of food entertainment and fresh in morning.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    We'll need ferry links after we dynamite the tunnel.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,450
    MaxPB said:

London case data not looking good, but still not showing up in the hospitalisation/death data compared to regions with similar case levels.

I think London simply has too much activity with or without lockdown and we're just going to have to live with a higher underlying level of infections until the vaccine programme reaches the major target groups.

MaxPB said:

Indeed - London R

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

Winchester 1997.

Winchester was trying to overturn the result, these are runoff elections and the Republican candidates led on the first count just with less than 50%
  • Options
    Foxy said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    apart from all the downsides , hassle and bills
  • Options

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Seems crazy , it should be a top priority.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    On a serious note the distances involved and sea conditions do complicate the viability of sea ferries from Scotland to mainland Europe.

It's already been done between 2002-2008 and there's still an existing Rosyth-Zeebrugge freight route.

Of course the Irish are increasing their (even longer) ferry routes, one of the benefits of being wholly in charge of their own affairs.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU

Not much difference from Rosyth than Newcastle or even Hull, both just down the coast a bit but crap to drive to whereas Rosyth is a cinch even from west coast.
  • Options
    On topic, surely US Attorney General Barr is safe while he is needed to cross the t's on presidential pardons. No point risking getting your collar felt because the paperwork's sitting on a vacated desk in the DoJ.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    That looks very like the proposed order.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU

It's already been done between 2002-2008 and there's still an existing Rosyth-Zeebrugge freight route.

Of course the Irish are increasing their (even longer) ferry routes, one of the benefits of being wholly in charge of their own affairs.
    Yes I know and it is being looked into but it remains uncertain on just how viable it would be
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    HYUFD said:
    MPs should be prioritised ahead of the general public. We disdain them a lot, they give us reason to disdain them, but they are the people we have chosen to represent and govern us. I have no problem in saying they should have a greater priority than many other non-high priority groups, though I doubt many of them will say the same.

But that would still mean most of them are quite a ways down the list, since most people agree on the top priority people.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,450

HYUFD said:
    That looks very like the proposed order.
    Though we are hearing that due to the issue with refrigeration etc, NHS staff may actually be first....
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited December 2020
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Rosyth ferry was excellent G, was sad to see it dropped. Rosyth to Holland is not really longer than Newcastle - Ijmuiden , late afternoon and arrive next morning and saves a long drive, Dover is just a joke given distance. You get a good night of food entertainment and fresh in morning.
    Did Newcastle -> Bergen a few times. A shame it was stopped.

The passengers were a mix of outdoor types from the UK and Norwegians on a shopping/drinking expedition to Gateshead.

Was one of the last viewers in the cinema one night. Everyone else had left to relieve themselves of their dinner. It was quite disconcerting getting ship motion and screen motion at the same time (Shipping Forecast said Force 7). A bigger boat might have helped.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291
    HYUFD said:
    Normally this kind of polling shows that the government shouldn't listen to the public on science policy, but possibly due to good communication of the vaccine priorities or just that the public isn't always as daft as it can be they seem pretty well aligned with the JCVI list.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,155
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Personal stealth gliders is the way ahead

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    apart from all the downsides , hassle and bills
    There is that. I'd much rather not have to prove that the EEA is a good thing to be part of in an experiment, much as I don't want to be in a bath where caesium bath bombs are being tested.

But we are where we are, and BoJo has won the right to try something that looks dumb. I can hope he succeeds, even if I can't see how.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Did Newcastle -> Bergen a few times. A shame it was stopped.

The passengers were a mix of outdoor types from the UK and Norwegians on a shopping/drinking expedition to Gateshead.
    We travelled on that route in May 1964 to Norway (Oslo) on our honeymoon
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    The traffic won't pay for it. The Scottish people aren't so keen on travel.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Seems crazy , it should be a top priority.
    Why doesn’t the Scottish govt build a ferry, or two?] ]INNOCENT FACE[[
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Personal stealth gliders is the way ahead

Is that Snake Pishkin? (I loved Escape from New York as a kid)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Winchester 1997.

Winchester was trying to overturn the result, these are runoff elections and the Republican candidates led on the first count just with less than 50%
    I know this is a run off but are you seriously saying you've missed all the attempts to overturn the (Presidential) election? 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291
    DavidL said:

We do seem to be edging forward but lord, this is slow.
    What a bizarrely sensible solution.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

'the remain community'

What's this, now?
    Those who mourn the EU
    Didn't Alan Clark put down an amendment to the Chunnel Bill proposing that? That dynamite should be built into the tunnel just in case?

(That would have been late 1980s? And that's why the UK's direction of travel from here feels pretty inevitable; 1/1/21 will be peak separation.)
This discussion has been closed.