Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The latest polling on measures to control the virus and what Contrarian Hartley-Brewer is saying – p

13»

Comments

• Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338
    felix said:

kamski said:

felix said:

kamski said:

felix said:

Roger said:

Hasn’t the WA protected the rights of U.K. citizens resident in France?

It’s visitors who have been complaining about the “90 days in 180” today.

Wonder when we’ll reciprocate?
    Well it was a characteristically incoherent tweet by our PM whose use of English is slapdash, but UK residents aren't citizens resident outside the UK, so it's unclear quite what he meant. Either way it has turned out to be garbage on three counts: 1. The rights of UK citizens resident in the UK have certainly been adversely affected, for example they can't spend more than 90 days in the EU country in a year without a visa, and can't retire there. 2. UK citizens resident in the EU have been affected in multiple ways, for example in freedom to move to other EU countries and on healthcare. And 3. The Vienna Convention is 100% irrelevant to the matter irrespective of anything else.
    1 It’s 90 days in any 180 - so could be up to 180 days in a year.
    2 Americans can retire to France, why wouldn’t UK citizens be able to?
    https://internationalliving.com/countries/france/retire/
    At the moment you just need a passport to get you there. From your link;

A passport, signed and valid for three months after the last day of stay
    One application forms, signed and legibly filled out
    One passport-size photo glued/stapled to the form
    A current passport
    Proof of means of income
    Proof of medical insurance
    Proof of accommodation in France
    Proof of legal status in North America (copy of green card, etc.)
    Letter promising not to engage in employment in France
    Marriage certificate, if applicable
    Processing fees
    An e-ticket or reservation record showing date of departure to France
    One long-term residence form, which must be completed, dated, signed, and notarized
    Most of that list is needed now if you want to reside in a EU country.
    Can't comment on France, nor specifically about retiring, but having officially resided in 3 EU countries, I can confirm that most of that list is not needed to reside in Italy, Greece or Germany for people from other EU countries.

Also, Johnson's original statement about the Vienna Treaty was just another barefaced lie from the shameless liar.
    I was referring to full-time residency.
    so was I
    EU Citizens Obtaining Residency in Italy

According to the Polizia di Stato, "Union citizens have the right of residence in Italy for a period of longer than three months if they are workers or self-employed persons in Italy; have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system during their period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover, or any other equivalent means; are enrolled at a private or public establishment for the purpose of following a course of study, including vocational training and have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system and a comprehensive sickness insurance cover; are family members accompanying or joining a Union citizen who has the right to reside in Italy for more than three months."

Obtaining a Residence Permit

"Union citizens or their family members, depending on the length of their stay, can report their presence to a police office, filling out the relevant form (pdf 44 Kb). If they decide not to report their presence, they will be deemed to stay in Italy for a period exceeding three months, unless proven otherwise. Hence, EU citizens who intend to stay for less than three months are not subject to the obligation of reporting their presence or to any other formalities," states the Polizia di Stato. However, if you plan to apply for permanent residence, you should report your presence and obtain the Residence Permit so that you have an official document proving how long you have been in Italy.
    Registering with the Anagrafe

EU citizens who wish to stay in Italy for a period exceeding three months are only required to register with the local Anagrafe (Register Office) (pdf 19 Kb)," as stated by the Polizia di Stato. Registrants will receive a receipt certifying that they have applied for registration to Anagrafe. You will receive the attestato d’iscrizione anagrafica or Registration Certificate, which replaces the residence permit obtained at the police office.
    Obtaining Permanent Residency

My experience in Italy:

I needed my passport.
    I needed to fill out a form.
    I needed passport size photos.
    They asked me for evidence of medical insurance, which I didn't yet have, so I argued with the guy in the office for a bit about it and he eventually shrugged his shoulders and gave me my residency permit.

I make that not "most" of the things on the list.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,584

Sandpit said:

EU’s Brexit playbook going according to plan. String everything out until the last possible moment, then a little bit longer, using friendly British media to hype up the disruption to put pressure on the UK government to roll over on key red line items like future governance and state aid.

https://twitter.com/The_ChrisShaw/status/1333662702460395520?s=20

I too suspect the risks of "No Deal" are much higher than anticipated. To get a deal will require bold political leadership on both sides - not much evidence on either.
    Bozo is lost if he hasn't got Scotland to go first and copy
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,739
    Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

I think the EU side now sees no-deal as a positive, with the disruption being good PR for not leaving, and the expectation that the UK government will come back and sign up to anything after the ports get clogged in January.

I think the UK side sees no-deal as sub-optimal but manageable, with January’s disruption worked around in a few weeks and more future freedom of manoeuvre as a result.

Not for the first time, the Brexiteers on the UK side are wrong...
    What, the car manufacturers aren`t coming to our rescue?

Worth pointing out, though, that many (I`d guess most) people who voted leave would be very pleased if there is no deal whatsoever with the EU.
  • Options
    kamski said:

felix said:

kamski said:

felix said:

kamski said:

felix said:

Roger said:

Well it was a characteristically incoherent tweet by our PM whose use of English is slapdash, but UK residents aren't citizens resident outside the UK, so it's unclear quite what he meant. Either way it has turned out to be garbage on three counts: 1. The rights of UK citizens resident in the UK have certainly been adversely affected, for example they can't spend more than 90 days in the EU country in a year without a visa, and can't retire there. 2. UK citizens resident in the EU have been affected in multiple ways, for example in freedom to move to other EU countries and on healthcare. And 3. The Vienna Convention is 100% irrelevant to the matter irrespective of anything else.

A current passport
    Proof of means of income
    Processing fees
    One long-term residence form, which must be completed, dated, signed, and notarized
    Can't comment on France, nor specifically about retiring, but having officially resided in 3 EU countries, I can confirm that most of that list is not needed to reside in Italy, Greece or Germany for people from other EU countries.

Also, Johnson's original statement about the Vienna Treaty was just another barefaced lie from the shameless liar.
    I was referring to full-time residency.
    so was I
    EU Citizens Obtaining Residency in Italy

According to the Polizia di Stato, "Union citizens have the right of residence in Italy for a period of longer than three months if they are workers or self-employed persons in Italy; have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system during their period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover, or any other equivalent means; are enrolled at a private or public establishment for the purpose of following a course of study, including vocational training and have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system and a comprehensive sickness insurance cover; are family members accompanying or joining a Union citizen who has the right to reside in Italy for more than three months."

Obtaining a Residence Permit

"Union citizens or their family members, depending on the length of their stay, can report their presence to a police office, filling out the relevant form (pdf 44 Kb). If they decide not to report their presence, they will be deemed to stay in Italy for a period exceeding three months, unless proven otherwise. Hence, EU citizens who intend to stay for less than three months are not subject to the obligation of reporting their presence or to any other formalities," states the Polizia di Stato. However, if you plan to apply for permanent residence, you should report your presence and obtain the Residence Permit so that you have an official document proving how long you have been in Italy.
    Registering with the Anagrafe

EU citizens who wish to stay in Italy for a period exceeding three months are only required to register with the local Anagrafe (Register Office) (pdf 19 Kb)," as stated by the Polizia di Stato. Registrants will receive a receipt certifying that they have applied for registration to Anagrafe. You will receive the attestato d’iscrizione anagrafica or Registration Certificate, which replaces the residence permit obtained at the police office.
    Obtaining Permanent Residency

My experience in Italy:

I needed my passport.
    I needed to fill out a form.
    I needed passport size photos.
    They asked me for evidence of medical insurance, which I didn't yet have, so I argued with the guy in the office for a bit about it and he eventually shrugged his shoulders and gave me my residency permit.

I make that not "most" of the things on the list.
    Aren't you supposed to take him a 'present' to help things along?
  • Options
    DavidL said:
    A lot of reading to make one basic point: that risks where you only have a rare chance of failure are difficult for people to avoid because most times they get away with it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

EU’s Brexit playbook going according to plan. String everything out until the last possible moment, then a little bit longer, using friendly British media to hype up the disruption to put pressure on the UK government to roll over on key red line items like future governance and state aid.

ttps://twitter.com/The_ChrisShaw/status/1333662702460395520?s=20

I too suspect the risks of "No Deal" are much higher than anticipated. To get a deal will require bold political leadership on both sides - not much evidence on either.
    I think the EU side now sees no-deal as a positive, with the disruption being good PR for not leaving, and the expectation that the UK government will come back and sign up to anything after the ports get clogged in January.

I think the UK side sees no-deal as sub-optimal but manageable, with January’s disruption worked around in a few weeks and more future freedom of manoeuvre as a result.
    Call the EU's bluff and get through the disruption. On 1/1/21 they have zero fish quota whatsoever, zero influence on our laws, zero level playing field. We hold all the cards.
    Nothing left but trolling, is there?
    You can't get over the fact that nobody agrees with your hive mind can you?

Four consecutive election results including a referendum have permitted Brexit, any single one of them going differently would have killed the project, and still you can't comprehend the fact that people disagree with you.

One of us is right, one of us is wrong. The objective truth is that we do not and can not know who is right until it has happened. At the moment it is Shrodinger's Brexit. The cat could be alive or dead post-No Deal but we don't know.

If the EU won't compromise then its time to get on with it and open the box.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,288
    edited December 2020
    Stocky said:

Worth pointing out, though, that many (I`d guess most) people who voted leave would be very pleased if there is no deal whatsoever with the EU.

Only until they find out what that means

EDIT: See the Daily Mail for examples...
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

You can back Bottas and Verstappen at 5.5 and 6 on Ladbrokes to win. And should:
    https://twitter.com/F1/status/1333671286296489984

Whoa, that’s surprising news. He spent the whole summer until a week ago, living out of his big camper van with only his trainer for company. Genuinely the last person I thought would get it, in sharp contrast to many other sportsmen.

He’s not missed a single race since his debut in 2007, which I think is yet another record for concecutive race starts. Never been sick or injured. Huge opportunity for someone, Vandoorne or perhaps George Russell.

Also a great opportunity for Pietro Fittipaldi, who will make his F1 debut replacing the injured Romain Grosjean in the Haas this weekend.
    He's already won the title so a case of C19 is very convenient if he just wants to chill with his awful car collection. Remember he wanted more #metime in his new contract...

Rossi did something similar in MotoGP this year. Riding like shit, season's fucked. Oh look, I've got C19 so I'm going to miss 4 races over the summer, what a botheration.
    Not sure that a week or two of enforced quarantine in a Bahrain hotel room, watching the races on TV, is really his idea of #metime?

Fascinating interview with Dr. Ian Roberts yesterday. He’s the F1 senior doctor, and was the guy who pulled Grosjean out of the fire.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OsZzEEYwTOc

These people are also made of something else, talking in a very dry and matter-of-fact way about the incident. Hope someone nominates him for a bravery medal.
    Not that I disagree, but we always seem to forget the little people and focus on the person in charge. The marshals were equally as brave and tend to be volunteers. Same happens in the services and politics and other walks of life. Main awards go to officers and politicians and not the foot soldiers even though they are often more deserving and gain little or nothing from the success whereas their seniors often do.
    Oh, very much so. I’m sure that Bahrain will see fit to honour those local track workers involved. As you say, motorsport marshalling is mostly a voluntary activity, these people give up their own time and put themselves in some danger so that we can all go motor racing.

The doctor in this case is British, so I’d like to see him get a British recognition for his service. He wasn’t just the manager, he was the guy who actually went into the fire.
    Agree. It just reminded me off all those Colonels who say 'this award is not just for me but all those who served with me' whereas he is the one who can brandish it not the squaddie under him, he choose this as a career and the award will do him no harm and often the squaddies were probably just as brave if not more so.

I am reminded of a Tory agent who was given an OBE for services to politics. I have nothing against this Tory agent, on the contrary I knew him quite well and he was a thoroughly decent and honourable man. Very much so in fact. However I can't help making the comparison that he was a full time paid agent basically doing his job and ours worked tirelessly for nothing, but got nothing.

As I have posted here before I am against awards except for bravery and voluntary services and there should be no distinction based upon wealth or class (eg MBE for cleaning lady while an MP gets knighted).

Sorry rant over. The post just triggered one of my pet grievances and in no way reflects what the Doctor did at all. In fact I was impressed how cool he was in directing the marshall's extinguisher.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543
    eek said:

Arcadia has taken Debenhams down with it.

Yes, without their instore outlets Debenhams was not viable. There is going to be an awful lot of empty space on the High Street and in shopping centres. This was coming anyway but there is no doubt that Covid has greatly accelerated the process.

It seems all too likely that this is going to feed up the chain too. The likes of Intu have been struggling with debt for a while. They are going to have a frightening number of empty units.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    DavidL said:
    Good piece.

Am I the only one really annoyed at the partying singer on all the front pages today, with a mealy-mouthed apology and way more than £10k of publicity?

I really think the most egrarious cases need to be prosecuted for reckless endangerment or a similar offence, otherwise certain groups of people will just see the £10k fines as just another expense of their £100k or £200k party.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Call the EU's bluff and get through the disruption. On 1/1/21 they have zero fish quota whatsoever, zero influence on our laws, zero level playing field. We hold all the cards.
    Yes, I agree. Though, as we`ve discussed before, EU boats will then be fishing in our waters illegally - and you want this patrolled by the Navy and enforced whereas I think that that is too antagonistic and will get ugly quickly and in the end the UK won`t have the stomach to enforce it. The end result could be no deal, EU boats still in our waters, and a bunch of very angry UK fishermen (and leavers in general).
  • Options

kamski said:

Foxy said:

kamski said:

felix said:

Roger said:

A current passport
    Proof of means of income
    Processing fees

My brothers tales about the Italian system for registering change of car ownership explain why there is nearly no market for used cars in Italy. Buy new and keep until collapse is the system as a result.
    Lots of things like that in Italy are difficult, but getting a permesso di soggiorno as an EU citizen is relatively straightforward.
    You should read Tobias Jones: The Dark Heart of Italy.

Despite the gloomy title it's a fun book from someone who clearly loves the country. His stories about getting anything from the Post Office are hilarious.
    Yes, that's a great book. As are the Tim Parks ones, in lighter vein. There's a particularly funny story about how he signed up for a direct debit with the telephone company, trusting in the system as we Brits do. His Italian friends and colleagues expressed disbelief at his stupidity; lo and behold the company started helping itself to all sorts of advance payments, and he found himself powerless to stop it.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Number 10s latest negotiation position on brexit, its 95% agreed, EU won’t collapse it over fish quotas so carry on preparing for the 95% that’s known as agreed.

Any sort of FTA signed with EU is going to feel like a national triumph, you can add 8 points to the Tory position in the polls for at least a couple of years, so should do grand in all next years elections (which instance will pile huge pressure on charisma vacuum Starmer and his unreformed party of anti semites)

This is probably the more realistic take than the no deal disaster for Tories PB seems over preoccupied?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

The end result could be no deal, EU boats still in our waters, and a bunch of very angry UK fishermen (and leavers in general).

See the FT today

Fishermen are already saying they will be out of business with No Deal
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2020
    Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, I agree. Though, as we`ve discussed before, EU boats will then be fishing in our waters illegally - and you want this patrolled by the Navy and enforced whereas I think that that is too antagonistic and will get ugly quickly and in the end the UK won`t have the stomach to enforce it. The end result could be no deal, EU boats still in our waters, and a bunch of very angry UK fishermen (and leavers in general).
    Any fishermen who continue to illegally fish in our waters from January would be breaking the law, no ifs or buts.

Navies enforce fishing waters all over the globe. Try getting a fishing boat to fish illegally in Iceland's waters and see how long you get away with it for.

This isn't some HYUFD "send in the jackboots" nonsense, navies are professional and can do this.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Stocky said:

Only until they find out what that means

EDIT: See the Daily Mail for examples...
    Agreed. But let`s give them the chance to show us these sunny uplands. If they do, then that`s great for the UK and we remainers were wrong. What we mustn`t do is accept a poor deal with EU - which gives us the worst of all outcomes.
  • Options
    Debenhams liquidated. 😢

Shame. Not a surprise but a real shame.
  • Options
    Debenhams to go into liquidation
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Stocky said:

The end result could be no deal, EU boats still in our waters, and a bunch of very angry UK fishermen (and leavers in general).

See the FT today

Fishermen are already saying they will be out of business with No Deal
    So, what is their problem? I believe most of them voted for it, and those that didn't will just have to lump it along with the rest of us.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Any fishermen who continue to illegally fish in our waters from January would be breaking the law, no ifs or buts.

Navies enforce fishing waters all over the globe. Try getting a fishing boat to fish illegally in Iceland's waters and see how long you get away with it for.

This isn't some HYUFD "send in the jackboots" nonsense, navies are professional and can do this.
    And the number of patrol ships we have at any time out in UK waters to actually enforce this is.....
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Number 10s latest negotiation position on brexit, its 95% agreed, EU won’t collapse it over fish quotas so carry on preparing for the 95% that’s known as agreed.

Except that's BoZo's problem...

He ask if the EU are prepared to collapse the deal over fish, and the answer is they are much more prepared than we are.

So they ask BoZo if he is prepared to collapse the deal over fish.

He can only say no...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

And the number of patrol ships we have at any time out in UK waters to actually enforce this is.....
    Not zero.

Iceland don't have that many patrol ships either, you don't need that many since the punishment for getting caught is quite severe so there is a significant deterrence effect.
  • Options

Morning Peeps.

I'm thinking of phoning the Gambling Commission later today to speak to them about Betfair's continuing failure to settle the remaining US Presidential markets. It would helpand save me some time if you could just let me know where we stand on leagal actions, recounts and like.

My belief is that Arizona has now certified. No recount is possible and I believe there are no legal actions outstanding.

Wisconsin has certified too. Not sure if there any legal actions o/s.

Georgia is recounting still? I think think the outcome is expected today. Again, I think no o/s legal actions.

The other States I am not sure about, although I thinlk there is little doubt about the outcomes.

Cheers. Get back to you all later.

Certification is not the end of the matter. There are still legal challenges in play (frivolous and will lose but still) and in 2000 Bush v Gore had Gore won the case then he could have potentially reversed Florida and reversed the projection post-certification. Had he done so he would then have become the "projected" winner prior to the Electoral College voting.

It would take a series of extremely unlikely events for Trump to become projected winner but it is indeed still legally possible.
    I don`t think this matters. BF`s rules say "projected".
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

gealbhan said:

Except that's BoZo's problem...

He ask if the EU are prepared to collapse the deal over fish, and the answer is they are much more prepared than we are.

So they ask BoZo if he is prepared to collapse the deal over fish.

He can only say no...
    You don't get it. He can say yes.

His MPs will back him saying yes.

His voters will back him saying yes.

FBPE fanatics on Twitter will scream and shout and you will post them here.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338
    felix said:

Advice for Obtaining the Certificate of Residence in Itlay continued....

"As far as small vs. big cities, here is what happened in my case in Florence (a sizable city). After I finally had the Permesso di Soggiorno in hand (which took 4 months to get), I took that to the Comune to register residency. After two weeks, I received a letter from the Comune stating that my registration was on file and the police would be coming by to verify where I lived. After waiting a week for that, I went back to the Comune and asked for a Carta d'Identita anyway (I needed the ID card to open a bank account and wanted to do that ASAP). They issued an ID card to me with no problem. About a week later, the police finally showed up (at 7 a.m.) to verify my physical place of residence. He asked to see my Permesso to verify my identity, and that was it. The fact that they issued me a Carta I'dentita before the police verified where I lived is just another example of 'it depends on who one encounters at the office in question.' lol," reported one expat living in Florence.

There are several more pages I could paste!

I'm willing to bet that the "expat living in Florence" was NOT an EU citizen. Copying and pasting stories of how difficult it is for non-EU citizens to get a permesso di soggiorno does kind of prove the point that it will be much more difficult when the UK is out of the EU and transition period.

I got my permesso di soggiorno in 2 days in Milan - as did other EU citizens.
    Friends from outside the EU had very long and complicated waits.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Four consecutive election results including a referendum have permitted Brexit, any single one of them going differently would have killed the project, and still you can't comprehend the fact that people disagree with you.

One of us is right, one of us is wrong. The objective truth is that we do not and can not know who is right until it has happened. At the moment it is Shrodinger's Brexit. The cat could be alive or dead post-No Deal but we don't know.

Its the statement "we hold the cards" that is funny. You cite 4 elections as proof that your statement is true. How do you work that one out - does someone voting Tory in 2019 prove that the UK will triumph?

As for people disagreeing with others, I think this one is fairly straightforward. Whilst its perfectly acceptable for you to disagree with the professional opinion of the Road Haulage Association about the impact of No Deal on Road Haulage, your opinion does not carry the same weight as their opinion. One of you works in the industry and knows the facts, the other does not.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2020
    Stocky said:

Morning Peeps.

I'm thinking of phoning the Gambling Commission later today to speak to them about Betfair's continuing failure to settle the remaining US Presidential markets. It would helpand save me some time if you could just let me know where we stand on leagal actions, recounts and like.

My belief is that Arizona has now certified. No recount is possible and I believe there are no legal actions outstanding.

Georgia is recounting still? I think think the outcome is expected today. Again, I think no o/s legal actions.

The other States I am not sure about, although I thinlk there is little doubt about the outcomes.

Certification is not the end of the matter. There are still legal challenges in play (frivolous and will lose but still) and in 2000 Bush v Gore had Gore won the case then he could have potentially reversed Florida and reversed the projection post-certification. Had he done so he would then have become the "projected" winner prior to the Electoral College voting.

It would take a series of extremely unlikely events for Trump to become projected winner but it is indeed still legally possible.
    And if the projection changes? What then?

Their rule is clear, its based on projected votes not faithless electors but believe it or not the projection is technically not finalised yet. Had Trump conceded it would be finalised, had Guiliani not been full of nonsense it would be finalised. It should be finalised. But it isn't.

If Trump wins enough court cases, gets enough votes thrown out, then he becomes projected winner of those states and he can become projected winner PRIOR to the electoral college voting.

It isn't going to happen but it is technically possible. And that's surely enough for Betfair to be ultra-cautious if they want to be.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Morning Peeps.

That's the way I see it. Indeed, certification actually takes us well beyond the level of finality that is strictly necessary for settlement of all the outstanding markets.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Not zero.

Iceland don't have that many patrol ships either, you don't need that many since the punishment for getting caught is quite severe so there is a significant deterrence effect.
    They have (had) many big trawlers with cutting gear. See discussion on here of a few months ago. Visited one of the ships when I was in Iceland last year.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/greenmiranda/status/1333711299251933186

Even fishermen will hate BoZo if he collapses a deal over fish

Nobody will thank him, especially not history, which is his primary concern...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    New thread.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

eek said:

Yes, without their instore outlets Debenhams was not viable. There is going to be an awful lot of empty space on the High Street and in shopping centres. This was coming anyway but there is no doubt that Covid has greatly accelerated the process.

It seems all too likely that this is going to feed up the chain too. The likes of Intu have been struggling with debt for a while. They are going to have a frightening number of empty units.
    There is no recovery for the commercial property market. None. Shopping habits were already increasingly making all but a core of retail outlet untenable, the rapid and permanent switch to online completes the change. Frankly the property owners haven't helped themselves - happy to leave retail outlets shuttered and maintain a paper value rather than accept a more realistic lower rent and lower its value. And now they are basically worthless.

Here in Stockton-on-Tees the council has a plan. It has bought both of the high street shopping malls. The indoor 70s abomination is getting bulldozed and replaced by a riverside park. The semi-open 90s one is getting whats left of retail concentrated in there (there are large empty units where M&S and Debenhams used to be). The high street itself will be focused on independent shops. The reopening of the Globe Theatre next year hopefully brings some non-retail life back to the town centre.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Its the statement "we hold the cards" that is funny. You cite 4 elections as proof that your statement is true. How do you work that one out - does someone voting Tory in 2019 prove that the UK will triumph?

As for people disagreeing with others, I think this one is fairly straightforward. Whilst its perfectly acceptable for you to disagree with the professional opinion of the Road Haulage Association about the impact of No Deal on Road Haulage, your opinion does not carry the same weight as their opinion. One of you works in the industry and knows the facts, the other does not.
    We do hold the cards. On all the two remaining issues we hold Pocket Aces. So long as we hold our nerve then we can play those Aces.

Fish: If there's no deal we get all the quota they get none of it. Ace for the UK.

Level playing field: If there's no deal then we get total sovereignty, they get no level playing field. Ace for the UK.

As a Poker player I know full well that Pocket Aces don't always win, but so long as we hold our nerve and don't fold that is what we have. We have a pair of Aces.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,173
    Koreans to remake Money Heist.
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2020/12/688_300214.html

Might be fun.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:
    Good piece.

Am I the only one really annoyed at the partying singer on all the front pages today, with a mealy-mouthed apology and way more than £10k of publicity?

I really think the most egrarious cases need to be prosecuted for reckless endangerment or a similar offence, otherwise certain groups of people will just see the £10k fines as just another expense of their £100k or £200k party.
    I may never buy another one of her songs. :smiley:
  • Options

Stocky said:

Morning Peeps.

That's the way I see it. Indeed, certification actually takes us well beyond the level of finality that is strictly necessary for settlement of all the outstanding markets.
    Why? What happens if the courts reverse certification?

What happened in 2000 Bush v Gore? Did the bookies all settle prior to the courts settling?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,173

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

There you go again, disrespecting the vote.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Not zero.

No, it's not zero; I saw one go by out of the window yesterday morning. But it's not very many. They have other things to do, like looking for people in dinghies. And we have a lot of water.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

I think the EU side now sees no-deal as a positive, with the disruption being good PR for not leaving, and the expectation that the UK government will come back and sign up to anything after the ports get clogged in

Not for the first time, the Brexiteers on the UK side are wrong...
    What, the car manufacturers aren`t coming to our rescue?

The sense of lead in the national pencil will be immediate and hyped up.

The side effects of No Deal will take a bit longer to come in. And side effects there will be, because even positive changes have winners and losers. (I'm not saying that this will be a positive change.)

Unfortunately for all of us, we have a Prime Minister who has never knowingly delayed gratification.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Any sort of FTA signed with EU is going to feel like a national triumph, you can add 8 points to the Tory position in the polls for at least a couple of years, so should do grand in all next years elections (which instance will pile huge pressure on charisma vacuum Starmer and his unreformed party of anti semites)

This is probably the more realistic take than the no deal disaster for Tories PB seems over preoccupied?

Erm..I would say that it is equally possible but more likely the vast majority will remain completely bewildered about what the fuss was about.
  • Options
    F1: oddly close to my prediction, both Bottas and Verstappen can be laid for the win at around 2.7 on Betfair.

Ladbrokes market suspended last I checked but early morning prices were Bottas 5.5 and Verstappen 6 for the win.

This won't, of course, count in the 'official' records, but it does remind me of the lead lap 1 2012 Spanish Grand Prix bets on Maldonado and Alonso when Hamilton got a penalty, having qualified on pole.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,679

DavidL said:

eek said:

There is no recovery for the commercial property market. None. Shopping habits were already increasingly making all but a core of retail outlet untenable, the rapid and permanent switch to online completes the change. Frankly the property owners haven't helped themselves - happy to leave retail outlets shuttered and maintain a paper value rather than accept a more realistic lower rent and lower its value. And now they are basically worthless.

Here in Stockton-on-Tees the council has a plan. It has bought both of the high street shopping malls. The indoor 70s abomination is getting bulldozed and replaced by a riverside park. The semi-open 90s one is getting whats left of retail concentrated in there (there are large empty units where M&S and Debenhams used to be). The high street itself will be focused on independent shops. The reopening of the Globe Theatre next year hopefully brings some non-retail life back to the town centre.
    Sounds good.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,090

Try getting a fishing boat to fish illegally in Iceland's waters and see how long you get away with it for.

99% of the time nothing will happen. The Icelandic EEZ is 750,000km² and the ICG have 3 x OPV.

So if the RN finds a foreign vessel fishing in the UK EEZ on 1/1/21 what are the standing orders going to be? Here's a hint: they won't be ramming it or lighting it up with the Bushmaster.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Morning Peeps.

Why? What happens if the courts reverse certification?

What happened in 2000 Bush v Gore? Did the bookies all settle prior to the courts settling?
    That is a subsequent event. It would be closely comparable to what happens in horseracing. If your horse wins and you are paid out after they have weighed in, but in the succeeding days the horse is disqualified (drugs test, ownership and identity issues etc) the bookies don't ask for their money back and pay out on the second. The result stands for betting purposes.

Same with the politics markets. It's the rules as stated that matter, not some possible distant event (unless of course that is specified in the rules.) It has to be like that. I doubt very much whether the courts have the power to reverse certification, but even if they did it would not impact the outcome for betting purposes. There has to be finality, otherwise all bets would be open indefinitely pending any possible challenge at any time in the future.

This isn't difficult, Philip. I know it's early. Have another coffee.
  • Options
    Nice article, Cyclefree. Thanks again.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

But how does that help fishermen whose problem is 0% competition for stocks and 100% that however much they catch, they can't sell any of it?
  • Options
    FPT

Re my attempt to contact the Gambling Commission about Betfair's failure to settle the outstanding Presidential markets, it seems that due to Covid their lines are not open today. Will try again tomorrow. Meanwhile I would appreciate any information and updates concerning the status of legal challenges etc affecting the unsettled markets.

Please email if it's easier: arklebar@gmail.com

Thanks
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

We do hold the cards. On all the two remaining issues we hold Pocket Aces. So long as we hold our nerve then we can play those Aces.

Fish: If there's no deal we get all the quota they get none of it. Ace for the UK.

Level playing field: If there's no deal then we get total sovereignty, they get no level playing field. Ace for the UK.

As a Poker player I know full well that Pocket Aces don't always win, but so long as we hold our nerve and don't fold that is what we have. We have a pair of Aces.
    And then what?

If you are of the view that not having any sort of trade deal with the EU isn't a problem, you can go ahead and do that.

If you are of the view (like the Bank of England) that no deal Brexit is a massive problem for the UK economy, then maybe those aces need to stay in your pocket.
  • Options
    For anyone interested enough to follow the legal cases at the level of the actual documents: https://electioncases.osu.edu/
This discussion has been closed.