Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The latest polling on measures to control the virus and what Contrarian Hartley-Brewer is saying – p

Comments

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928
    Populists proposing unpopular policies?
  • Options
    Market suspended on Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I'm here to actually call peak SNP. The roasters have seized control of the NEC.

SNP membership have clearly decided that as they are the natural party of government that none can challenge that now is the perfect time to engage in a damaging civil war.

I'm sure they can ask SLab for some tips.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I'm here to actually call peak SNP. The roasters have seized control of the NEC.

SNP membership have clearly decided that as they are the natural party of government that none can challenge that now is the perfect time to engage in a damaging civil war.

So many nicknames used in Scotland posts. I'm guessing Yoons is Unionists? Turnips is anyone malcolmg dislikes?

Who are roasters?
  • Options

On the point about Covid-19 vaccination, I assume there'll be a certificate if some sort.

Similar to an ID card?

Not the same I know, but for yellow fever you get a little certificate that’s slightly less than passport sized.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

So many nicknames used in Scotland posts. I'm guessing Yoons is Unionists? Turnips is anyone malcolmg dislikes?

Who are roasters?
    A union of the "Unilateral Independence Declaration Now" mob, Salmondistas and the group who've spent the last 4 years undermining the SNP's manifesto commitment to reform the GRA.
  • Options
    I don't see the fuss just because the government are handing out large contracts using public money to their friends without tender or scrutiny. Its not like they are doing anything wrong... ;)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    Crabbie said:

On the point about Covid-19 vaccination, I assume there'll be a certificate if some sort.

Similar to an ID card?

Not the same I know, but for yellow fever you get a little certificate that’s slightly less than passport sized.

After the little chat where they advise you of the very small chance of instant death, and get you to sign a form confirming your consent. Hopefully the Covid vaccine won't be as adventurous?
  • Options
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,144
    Scott_xP said:
    "I was brainwashed".

Can't he respect the vote ? :/
  • Options

I don't see the fuss just because the government are handing out large contracts using public money to their friends without tender or scrutiny. Its not like they are doing anything wrong... ;)

But you're missing the key point.

They're mates of the government.

A greater mark of honour and probity is unimaginable.
    Gongs all round, according to Phillip.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024

Good morning, everyone.

You can back Bottas and Verstappen at 5.5 and 6 on Ladbrokes to win. And should:
    https://twitter.com/F1/status/1333671286296489984

Whoa, that’s surprising news. He spent the whole summer until a week ago, living out of his big camper van with only his trainer for company. Genuinely the last person I thought would get it, in sharp contrast to many other sportsmen.

He’s not missed a single race since his debut in 2007, which I think is yet another record for concecutive race starts. Never been sick or injured. Huge opportunity for someone, Vandoorne or perhaps George Russell.

Also a great opportunity for Pietro Fittipaldi, who will make his F1 debut replacing the injured Romain Grosjean in the Haas this weekend.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Baseless lies. What would the Road Haulage Association know about Road Haulage? They should hire Philp, he'll tell them how their industry works.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,704
    edited December 2020
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    "I was brainwashed".

This entire discussion is about something that hasn't yet happened: What will Brexit be like in the short, medium and long term. You have to separate out the different questions:

Is Brexit right in principle
    If so what sort
    How best to implement
    What are the long term consequences.

And another: regardless of where you are on the principle, is this current government a bunch of incompetents.

Brexit is like Scottish independence: It is a significant issue of principle and polity. You can't judge its outcome in the short term. Just as Nichola Sturgeon's principle about Scotland would not be subverted by the fact that there are obvious transitional problems.

My own answers to the 5 questions would be

Yes
    EFTA
    Slowly
    Wait and see
    Yes.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    edited December 2020

Similar to an ID card?

Good luck getting a flight on Qantas, Mr Gove:

LONDON (Reuters) - Senior British minister Michael Gove said that the government was not planning a system of vaccine passports which would prevent those who hadn’t had a COVID-19 jab from going to the pub or attending events.

“I certainly am not planning to introduce any vaccine passports and I don’t know anyone else in government (who is),” Gove told Sky News on Tuesday.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-idUKKBN28B3ZK?taid=5fc5f9e8585f620001d10750&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,287
    Nigelb said:

Can't the RHA respect the vote ?

Waiting for the Daily Mail to go first...

https://twitter.com/gavinesler/status/1333420149098024960
  • Options

@Roger ‘s list is similar to the one I have to use every couple of years to prove to the school that I am who I say I am, despite having worked there since the last millennium.

When I was MP for Broxtowe I thought I ought really to move my RBS bank branch from London to the constituency - put down local roots and all that. They had a 4-page form and multiple identity requirements, despite the fact that I visited the branch regularly, they all knew me personally, and it was THE SAME BANK.

I gave up, and to this day my bank account is in the Kensington branch where I opened it more than 50 years ago. I haven't been there for decades, and for all I know it no longer exists.
    That does not surprise me.

In my experience, NatWest/RBS are the single most incompetent organisation in the UK.
    That's a big call. I can only assume you have no experience of Virgin Media.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    I love all the George Russell Powerpoint presentation jokes.

I hope Toto is prepared.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Nigelb said:

This is what we voted for.

Tesla's German Battery Plant Will Create An Estimated 10,000 New Jobs
    https://insideevs.com/news/457466/tesla-battery-factory-germany-10k-jobs/
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I was surprised.

But lucky too. Backed Bottas/Verstappen at 5.5 and 6 each. Doing a spot of work until hedging on Betfair. Looks like the lay will be circa 2.7, which is ok.
  • Options

Similar to an ID card?

LONDON (Reuters) - Senior British minister Michael Gove said that the government was not planning a system of vaccine passports which would prevent those who hadn’t had a COVID-19 jab from going to the pub or attending events.

“I certainly am not planning to introduce any vaccine passports and I don’t know anyone else in government (who is),” Gove told Sky News on Tuesday.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-idUKKBN28B3ZK?taid=5fc5f9e8585f620001d10750&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
    They’re happening, whether certain governments want them or not. Businesses and other governments are going to start insisting people have been vaccinated, within weeks of the rollout.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,811
    All it takes is for Israel.... to claim Hummus. That's WWIII in a bag....
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    "I was brainwashed".

This entire discussion is about something that hasn't yet happened: What will Brexit be like in the short, medium and long term. You have to separate out the different questions:

If so what sort
    How best to implement

And another: regardless of where you are on the principle, is this current government a bunch of incompetents.

Brexit is like Scottish independence: It is a significant issue of principle and polity. You can't judge its outcome in the short term. Just as Nichola Sturgeon's principle about Scotland would not be subverted by the fact that there are obvious transitional problems.

Yes
    EFTA
    Slowly
    Wait and see
    Yes.

Answers 2-5 suggest that answer 1 is wrong. You just can't bring yourself to admit it yet.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

Nigelb said:

This is what we voted for.

Tesla's German Battery Plant Will Create An Estimated 10,000 New Jobs
    https://insideevs.com/news/457466/tesla-battery-factory-germany-10k-jobs/
    We will need 10,000 people just to direct traffic round the Kent lorry park.
  • Options
    EU’s Brexit playbook going according to plan. String everything out until the last possible moment, then a little bit longer, using friendly British media to hype up the disruption to put pressure on the UK government to roll over on key red line items like future governance and state aid.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    Sandpit said:

Similar to an ID card?

They’re happening, whether certain governments want them or not. Businesses and other governments are going to start insisting people have been vaccinated, within weeks of the rollout.
    Another U-turn ahead.
    For one thing, it's a two stage process. How is the vaccinator to be sure that the person in front of them actually has had stage one? Or has go confused and wants stage one twice?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,566
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    "I was brainwashed".

If so what sort
    How best to implement

Yes
    EFTA
    Slowly
    Wait and see
    Yes.

Well, I disagree on 1, but agree on all the others. The tragedy is, that while the country was pretty well split on question 1, I do think there would be a majority able to agree 2-4 (and maybe 5, although I hesitate a little on that given a substantial number voted for said government less than a year ago)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,087
    Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

You can back Bottas and Verstappen at 5.5 and 6 on Ladbrokes to win. And should:

Whoa, that’s surprising news. He spent the whole summer until a week ago, living out of his big camper van with only his trainer for company. Genuinely the last person I thought would get it, in sharp contrast to many other sportsmen.

He’s not missed a single race since his debut in 2007, which I think is yet another record for concecutive race starts. Never been sick or injured. Huge opportunity for someone, Vandoorne or perhaps George Russell.

Also a great opportunity for Pietro Fittipaldi, who will make his F1 debut replacing the injured Romain Grosjean in the Haas this weekend.
    He's already won the title so a case of C19 is very convenient if he just wants to chill with his awful car collection. Remember he wanted more #metime in his new contract...

Rossi did something similar in MotoGP this year. Riding like shit, season's fucked. Oh look, I've got C19 so I'm going to miss 4 races over the summer, what a botheration.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995

On topic, there was an article in last week's New Scientist saying that the data actually showed no increase in suicides at all during the first lockdown period. The article went on to make the point that (unjustified) reports of increased suicides are actually dangerous due to the copycat effect - suicides become more likely when those at risk believe that others are taking their own life. Hartley-Brewer's claim of increased suicides is both incorrect and irresponsible.

I haven't seen the New Scientist article, but I have been told by one of our psychiatrists that suicides are up, and by our ICU doctors that admissions with overdoses and alcohol related complications kept them occupied in the gap between covid waves. Maybe it is local factors as Leicester has not been out of lockdown since March.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    edited December 2020

@Roger ‘s list is similar to the one I have to use every couple of years to prove to the school that I am who I say I am, despite having worked there since the last millennium.

When I was MP for Broxtowe I thought I ought really to move my RBS bank branch from London to the constituency - put down local roots and all that. They had a 4-page form and multiple identity requirements, despite the fact that I visited the branch regularly, they all knew me personally, and it was THE SAME BANK.

I gave up, and to this day my bank account is in the Kensington branch where I opened it more than 50 years ago. I haven't been there for decades, and for all I know it no longer exists.

In my experience, NatWest/RBS are the single most incompetent organisation in the UK.
    My all time worst was Cable & Wireless. Ended up in Vodaphone, I believe. Many years ago, put my phone out of action for weeks, refused to believe it was broken, finally accepted the line was dead and repaired it, then I got a bill for £hundreds for numerous overseas calls I had apparently made while the line was dead. Took months to sort out, every time I phoned them I had to go through the whole story from the very beginning, every time the same disbelieving responses. They even accused me of fraud. Turned out some wires in the street box had been switched in error.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

He's already won the title so a case of C19 is very convenient if he just wants to chill with his awful car collection. Remember he wanted more #metime in his new contract...

Rossi did something similar in MotoGP this year. Riding like shit, season's fucked. Oh look, I've got C19 so I'm going to miss 4 races over the summer, what a botheration.
    Back with girl-friend, who has been shopping?
  • Options

Haggis and bagpipes both invented in ancient Greece...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

On topic, there was an article in last week's New Scientist saying that the data actually showed no increase in suicides at all during the first lockdown period. The article went on to make the point that (unjustified) reports of increased suicides are actually dangerous due to the copycat effect - suicides become more likely when those at risk believe that others are taking their own life. Hartley-Brewer's claim of increased suicides is both incorrect and irresponsible.

I haven't seen the New Scientist article, but I have been told by one of our psychiatrists that suicides are up, and by our ICU doctors that admissions with overdoses and alcohol related complications kept them occupied in the gap between covid waves. Maybe it is local factors as Leicester has not been out of lockdown since March.
    Could it be that suicide attempts are up and that chosen methods combined with modern medicine are keeping the deaths thankfully low?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,704

algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    "I was brainwashed".

If so what sort
    How best to implement

Yes
    EFTA
    Slowly
    Wait and see
    Yes.

Answers 2-5 suggest that answer 1 is wrong. You just can't bring yourself to admit it yet.
    Maybe another wait and see!

• Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

Not sure that a week or two of enforced quarantine in a Bahrain hotel room, watching the races on TV, is really his idea of #metime?

Fascinating interview with Dr. Ian Roberts yesterday. He’s the F1 senior doctor, and was the guy who pulled Grosjean out of the fire.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OsZzEEYwTOc

These people are also made of something else, talking in a very dry and matter-of-fact way about the incident. Hope someone nominates him for a bravery medal.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    One benefit of Brexit is that shellfish will either stay in the sea, benefiting conservation, or become cheaper in England. Better value scallops and oysters? Yum yum! 😀
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338
    felix said:

Roger said:

Hasn’t the WA protected the rights of U.K. citizens resident in France?

It’s visitors who have been complaining about the “90 days in 180” today.

Wonder when we’ll reciprocate?
    Well it was a characteristically incoherent tweet by our PM whose use of English is slapdash, but UK residents aren't citizens resident outside the UK, so it's unclear quite what he meant. Either way it has turned out to be garbage on three counts: 1. The rights of UK citizens resident in the UK have certainly been adversely affected, for example they can't spend more than 90 days in the EU country in a year without a visa, and can't retire there. 2. UK citizens resident in the EU have been affected in multiple ways, for example in freedom to move to other EU countries and on healthcare. And 3. The Vienna Convention is 100% irrelevant to the matter irrespective of anything else.
    1 It’s 90 days in any 180 - so could be up to 180 days in a year.
    2 Americans can retire to France, why wouldn’t UK citizens be able to?
    https://internationalliving.com/countries/france/retire/
    At the moment you just need a passport to get you there. From your link;

A passport, signed and valid for three months after the last day of stay
    One application forms, signed and legibly filled out
    One passport-size photo glued/stapled to the form
    A current passport
    Proof of means of income
    Proof of medical insurance
    Proof of accommodation in France
    Proof of legal status in North America (copy of green card, etc.)
    Letter promising not to engage in employment in France
    Marriage certificate, if applicable
    Processing fees
    An e-ticket or reservation record showing date of departure to France
    One long-term residence form, which must be completed, dated, signed, and notarized
    Most of that list is needed now if you want to reside in a EU country.
    Can't comment on France, nor specifically about retiring, but having officially resided in 3 EU countries, I can confirm that most of that list is not needed to reside in Italy, Greece or Germany for people from other EU countries.

Also, Johnson's original statement about the Vienna Treaty was just another barefaced lie from the shameless liar.
  • Options

British Gas
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

EU’s Brexit playbook going according to plan. String everything out until the last possible moment, then a little bit longer, using friendly British media to hype up the disruption to put pressure on the UK government to roll over on key red line items like future governance and state aid.

https://twitter.com/The_ChrisShaw/status/1333662702460395520?s=20

I too suspect the risks of "No Deal" are much higher than anticipated. To get a deal will require bold political leadership on both sides - not much evidence on either.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It was this one:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2259889-we-need-to-be-more-careful-when-talking-about-suicide-and-the-pandemic/

"AS THE world grapples with the consequences of the coronavirus pandemic, there have been widespread predictions that the fallout would lead to a rise in suicide rates. Fortunately, figures available so far suggest that this hasn’t been happening. So it is important that we now rein in this alarmist narrative to avoid creating a self-fulfilling prophecy."
  • Options
    F1. Toto needs to get the cheque book out and have Russel released from Williams for the last 2 races. Gutierrez or VanDonkey so crap that Wolff may as well drive the car himself if that's his options
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Foxy said:

Haggis and bagpipes both invented in ancient Greece...
    NIce. Now Scotland will demand 10% of the nukes. And use them.
  • Options
    John Lewis are going to the be the only department store left on the High Street after covid aren't they?
  • Options
    kamski said:

felix said:

Roger said:

Well it was a characteristically incoherent tweet by our PM whose use of English is slapdash, but UK residents aren't citizens resident outside the UK, so it's unclear quite what he meant. Either way it has turned out to be garbage on three counts: 1. The rights of UK citizens resident in the UK have certainly been adversely affected, for example they can't spend more than 90 days in the EU country in a year without a visa, and can't retire there. 2. UK citizens resident in the EU have been affected in multiple ways, for example in freedom to move to other EU countries and on healthcare. And 3. The Vienna Convention is 100% irrelevant to the matter irrespective of anything else.

A current passport
    Proof of means of income
    Processing fees
    One long-term residence form, which must be completed, dated, signed, and notarized
    Can't comment on France, nor specifically about retiring, but having officially resided in 3 EU countries, I can confirm that most of that list is not needed to reside in Italy, Greece or Germany for people from other EU countries.

Also, Johnson's original statement about the Vienna Treaty was just another barefaced lie from the shameless liar.
    My brothers tales about the Italian system for registering change of car ownership explain why there is nearly no market for used cars in Italy. Buy new and keep until collapse is the system as a result.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

My all time worst was Cable & Wireless. Ended up in Vodaphone, I believe. Many years ago, put my phone out of action for weeks, refused to believe it was broken, finally accepted the line was dead and repaired it, then I got a bill for £hundreds for numerous overseas calls I had apparently made while the line was dead. Took months to sort out, every time I phoned them I had to go through the whole story from the very beginning, every time the same disbelieving responses. They even accused me of fraud. Turned out some wires in the street box had been switched in error.
    Switched in error. Just when someone was going mental on overseas calls.

Did they offer you some real estate on the foreshore of the Thames? Or a cheap bridge as compensation?
  • Options

John Lewis are going to the be the only department store left on the High Street after covid aren't they?

I am not sure that all of John Lewis stores will survive. January is going to see a whole bunch of retail and restaurant closures.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,566
    IanB2 said:

I'll put in another vote for VM. Will never forget being on the phone to them a few years ago (VM over openreach, I'd already run the openreach diagnostics and knew there was a line fault, which I reported) when the support guy tried to get me to install a remote screen viewer without telling me that's what he was doing - just 'go to this website' (some dodgy site, not VM), 'click on this link', 'when it asks whether to allow, click yes'. I played along (not installing!) to see how far it would go and whether he'd tell me what he was trying to do, which he never did, asked him whether what he'd just asked me to do was company policy ('yes') then reported him to VM by going through the maze of complaints lines. The person I spoke to didn't seem to comprehend what I was saying, but did send openreach out to fix the line.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    "I was brainwashed".

Nobody was brainwashed. Quite a few were brain dead, but that's a different matter.
  • Options
    Given the timeline of the various messages from the SNP yesterday, it appears that generating the row was the whole point of their announcement.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    "I was brainwashed".

Nobody was brainwashed. Quite a few were brain dead, but that's a different matter.
    Yet another reason why Starmer must abstain and not support the deal.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    MikeL said:

Important (per The Times):

LEGISLATION TO REPEAL THE FIXED TERM PARLIAMENTS ACT IS BEING PUBLISHED TODAY.

Seem to recall someone (or maybe several people?) posting on here that this couldn't be done as it would mean restoring a royal prerogative. Well, not sure whether or not that's correct but Boris appears to think he can do it.

Both parties expressed an intention to do it, so it's clearly regarded as a solvable problem.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717
    edited December 2020
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

Not sure that a week or two of enforced quarantine in a Bahrain hotel room, watching the races on TV, is really his idea of #metime?

Fascinating interview with Dr. Ian Roberts yesterday. He’s the F1 senior doctor, and was the guy who pulled Grosjean out of the fire.

These people are also made of something else, talking in a very dry and matter-of-fact way about the incident. Hope someone nominates him for a bravery medal.
    Not that I disagree, but we always seem to forget the little people and focus on the person in charge. The marshals were equally as brave and tend to be volunteers. Same happens in the services and politics and other walks of life. Main awards go to officers and politicians and not the foot soldiers even though they are often more deserving and gain little or nothing from the success whereas their seniors often do.
  • Options

I too suspect the risks of "No Deal" are much higher than anticipated. To get a deal will require bold political leadership on both sides - not much evidence on either.

BoZo thinks he is at risk if he signs a deal the headbangers don't like, which is true.

The question is how he thinks he survives No Deal?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

ttps://twitter.com/The_ChrisShaw/status/1333662702460395520?s=20

I think the EU side now sees no-deal as a positive, with the disruption being good PR for not leaving, and the expectation that the UK government will come back and sign up to anything after the ports get clogged in January.

I think the UK side sees no-deal as sub-optimal but manageable, with January’s disruption worked around in a few weeks and more future freedom of manoeuvre as a result.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Seem to recall someone (or maybe several people?) posting on here that this couldn't be done as it would mean restoring a royal prerogative. Well, not sure whether or not that's correct but Boris appears to think he can do it.

Both parties expressed an intention to do it, so it's clearly regarded as a solvable problem.
    Not exactly

BoZo has no intention of restoring the Royal prerogative.

What he is trying to do is assume an executive power from the legislature.

That is technically possible, although really stupid.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I think the EU side now sees no-deal as a positive, with the disruption being good PR for not leaving, and the expectation that the UK government will come back and sign up to anything after the ports get clogged in January.

I think the UK side sees no-deal as sub-optimal but manageable, with January’s disruption worked around in a few weeks and more future freedom of manoeuvre as a result.

Not for the first time, the Brexiteers on the UK side are wrong...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I am not sure that all of John Lewis stores will survive. January is going to see a whole bunch of retail and restaurant closures.
    Indeed. I didn't mean all of JL would survive. The Brum flagship at New Street has already gone under, which is a minor disaster for my home city.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

BoZo thinks he is at risk if he signs a deal the headbangers don't like, which is true.

The question is how he thinks he survives No Deal?
    Though No Deal is just postponement of reality. It is not a stable state, but rather a continuation of negotiations with less game playing, and more disruption.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Not exactly

BoZo has no intention of restoring the Royal prerogative.

What he is trying to do is assume an executive power from the legislature.

That is technically possible, although really stupid.
    "Technically possible although really stupid" is the best summation of this government.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Good morning, everyone.

Not that I disagree, but we always seem to forget the little people and focus on the person in charge. The marshals were equally as brave and tend to be volunteers. Same happens in the services and politics and other walks of life. Main awards go to officers and politicians and not the foot soldiers even though they are often more deserving and gain little or nothing from the success whereas their seniors often do.
    Oh, very much so. I’m sure that Bahrain will see fit to honour those local track workers involved. As you say, motorsport marshalling is mostly a voluntary activity, these people give up their own time and put themselves in some danger so that we can all go motor racing.

The doctor in this case is British, so I’d like to see him get a British recognition for his service. He wasn’t just the manager, he was the guy who actually went into the fire.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,739
    MikeL said:

They will definitely do it. It`s a key intention of this government.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited December 2020
    kamski said:

felix said:

Roger said:

A current passport
    Proof of means of income
    Processing fees

I was referring to full-time residency. But even for non-residents simply working abroad most European countries require a fair bit of paperwork now not least in relation to tax and healthcare. WRT many professions it can also be quite complex to be deemed qualified. In fact in Spain the country is generaly going to great lengths to ensure relative ease of movement between the 2 nations post-Brexit. The need the business. I would guess it will be similar in France. I have little knowledge of Italian bureaucracy but from what I have heard it has long been one of the worst.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    On topic, what do Somewhat Support and Somewhat Oppose mean in this context I wonder.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kamski said:

felix said:

Roger said:

A current passport
    Proof of means of income
    Processing fees

My brothers tales about the Italian system for registering change of car ownership explain why there is nearly no market for used cars in Italy. Buy new and keep until collapse is the system as a result.
    Lots of things like that in Italy are difficult, but getting a permesso di soggiorno as an EU citizen is relatively straightforward.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,474
    Sandpit said:

Given the timeline of the various messages from the SNP yesterday, it appears that generating the row was the whole point of their announcement.
    Indeed, but have HMG not fallen into enough of Nippy's elephant traps to tumble her game?
  • Options
    felix said:

kamski said:

felix said:

Roger said:

A current passport
    Proof of means of income
    Processing fees

I was referring to full-time residency.
    so was I
  • Options
    Morning Peeps.

I'm thinking of phoning the Gambling Commission later today to speak to them about Betfair's continuing failure to settle the remaining US Presidential markets. It would helpand save me some time if you could just let me know where we stand on leagal actions, recounts and like.

My belief is that Arizona has now certified. No recount is possible and I believe there are no legal actions outstanding.

Wisconsin has certified too. Not sure if there any legal actions o/s.

Georgia is recounting still? I think think the outcome is expected today. Again, I think no o/s legal actions.

The other States I am not sure about, although I thinlk there is little doubt about the outcomes.

Cheers. Get back to you all later.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 845
    Hartley Brewer needs to come to terms with reality, and think before she speaks.
    Last night, Evening Sentinel headline "32 COVID pateients fighting for life in Stoke Hospital", where there are over 300 in total at varying stage of the disease. Over the past 4 weeks 200 have died frrom the virus in that place. A major incident has been declared, critically ill are being moved elesewhere to make room.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,087
    Sandpit said:

I think the UK side sees no-deal as sub-optimal but manageable

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    Foxy said:

Some have already closed.

Bizarre shortages in that shop. King size mattress protectors have run out, for instance.

Son works there so am hoping that they will be the last shop standing. JL closing is practically the end of times.......
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Call the EU's bluff and get through the disruption. On 1/1/21 they have zero fish quota whatsoever, zero influence on our laws, zero level playing field. We hold all the cards.
  • Options

Morning Peeps.

I'm thinking of phoning the Gambling Commission later today to speak to them about Betfair's continuing failure to settle the remaining US Presidential markets. It would helpand save me some time if you could just let me know where we stand on leagal actions, recounts and like.

My belief is that Arizona has now certified. No recount is possible and I believe there are no legal actions outstanding.

Georgia is recounting still? I think think the outcome is expected today. Again, I think no o/s legal actions.

The other States I am not sure about, although I thinlk there is little doubt about the outcomes.

Thanks PtP. BF`s own rule "This market will be settled on the electoral college votes as projected by the popular vote won at the 2020 US presidential election" applies to a variety of markets, not just the Next President. Including, Winning Party and Biden/Trump ECVs. Best of luck.
  • Options
    kamski said:

felix said:

kamski said:

felix said:

Roger said:

A current passport
    Proof of means of income
    Processing fees

I was referring to full-time residency.
    so was I
    EU Citizens Obtaining Residency in Italy

According to the Polizia di Stato, "Union citizens have the right of residence in Italy for a period of longer than three months if they are workers or self-employed persons in Italy; have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system during their period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover, or any other equivalent means; are enrolled at a private or public establishment for the purpose of following a course of study, including vocational training and have sufficient resources for themselves and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system and a comprehensive sickness insurance cover; are family members accompanying or joining a Union citizen who has the right to reside in Italy for more than three months."

Obtaining a Residence Permit

"Union citizens or their family members, depending on the length of their stay, can report their presence to a police office, filling out the relevant form (pdf 44 Kb). If they decide not to report their presence, they will be deemed to stay in Italy for a period exceeding three months, unless proven otherwise. Hence, EU citizens who intend to stay for less than three months are not subject to the obligation of reporting their presence or to any other formalities," states the Polizia di Stato. However, if you plan to apply for permanent residence, you should report your presence and obtain the Residence Permit so that you have an official document proving how long you have been in Italy.
    Registering with the Anagrafe

EU citizens who wish to stay in Italy for a period exceeding three months are only required to register with the local Anagrafe (Register Office) (pdf 19 Kb)," as stated by the Polizia di Stato. Registrants will receive a receipt certifying that they have applied for registration to Anagrafe. You will receive the attestato d’iscrizione anagrafica or Registration Certificate, which replaces the residence permit obtained at the police office.
    Obtaining Permanent Residency

• Options

Morning Peeps.

Certification is not the end of the matter. There are still legal challenges in play (frivolous and will lose but still) and in 2000 Bush v Gore had Gore won the case then he could have potentially reversed Florida and reversed the projection post-certification. Had he done so he would then have become the "projected" winner prior to the Electoral College voting.

It would take a series of extremely unlikely events for Trump to become projected winner but it is indeed still legally possible.
  • Options
    Obtaining Permanent Residency - continued:
    Obtaining Permanent Residency

The Polizia di Stato states, "EU citizens can apply for a permanent residence card after they have lived in Italy for a continuous 5 year period. The application must be submitted before the expiry date of the residence permit to the Questura in the place of residence. The Municipality of residence will issue a relevant certificate at the request of the applicant. Family members of an EU national are eligible to permanent residence if they have lawfully lived in Italy with their EU family member for a continuous 5 year period. In this case they can apply for a permanent residence card. If you have lived outside Italy for a continuous 2-year period you lose you permanent resident status. EU nationals and their family members, who are self-employed or subordinate workers, are not required to wait five years to acquire a permanent resident status in case of retirement, permanent incapacity to work, work in another EU member country. Applications to become a permanent resident can be submitted to the Questore (Police Commissioner) in the place of residence directly or through the Post Office. Designated municipal offices and other authorized offices (Patronati) are available to help applicants fill in the application forms, which must then be sent through the Post Office."
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Call the EU's bluff and get through the disruption. On 1/1/21 they have zero fish quota whatsoever, zero influence on our laws, zero level playing field. We hold all the cards.
    Nothing left but trolling, is there?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    edited December 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Some have already closed.

Bizarre shortages in that shop. King size mattress protectors have run out, for instance.

Son works there so am hoping that they will be the last shop standing. JL closing is practically the end of times.......
    Went in there the other week for the first time in many years, for a bathroom cabinet. They wanted almost £400 for one made of MDF with a mirror. Bought a solid oak one from Etsy for £120. Sorry to say as I always loved the shops and ethos but JL has no ordained right to exist. Which is a shame as I do like wandering about looking at the fluffy bedspreads, shiny house sized tv’s and Christmas knickknacks.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094
    Arcadia has taken Debenhams down with it.
  • Options
    Advice for Obtaining the Certificate of Residence in Itlay continued....

"As far as small vs. big cities, here is what happened in my case in Florence (a sizable city). After I finally had the Permesso di Soggiorno in hand (which took 4 months to get), I took that to the Comune to register residency. After two weeks, I received a letter from the Comune stating that my registration was on file and the police would be coming by to verify where I lived. After waiting a week for that, I went back to the Comune and asked for a Carta d'Identita anyway (I needed the ID card to open a bank account and wanted to do that ASAP). They issued an ID card to me with no problem. About a week later, the police finally showed up (at 7 a.m.) to verify my physical place of residence. He asked to see my Permesso to verify my identity, and that was it. The fact that they issued me a Carta I'dentita before the police verified where I lived is just another example of 'it depends on who one encounters at the office in question.' lol," reported one expat living in Florence.

There are several more pages I could paste!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Out of isolation today and news that will be getting the Pfizer vaccine as soon as MRHA gives the nod, so probably had the first by Christmas 🙂

That's very interesting as the NHS was supposed to be in the second round of vaccinations not the initial round.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Morning Peeps.

Every day there is millions available on BFs markets, especially the Next President market. (£5.4m is available to back Biden at 1.05 as I write.) It`s not just sitting there - the amount staked keeps rising.

I`m beginning to wonder whether the same people are on each side of the bet. I`ll leave other to speculate as to why this may be so.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Apt to agree, Philip, from the other side of the great divide of course.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Out of isolation today and news that will be getting the Pfizer vaccine as soon as MRHA gives the nod, so probably had the first by Christmas 🙂

The Midlands Regional Hockey Association?

Can Pfizer be held up supplying the UK by interference from the US regulators, Foxy?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    "I was brainwashed".

Yet another reason why Starmer must abstain and not support the deal.
    After about 48 hours nobody is going to care whether Starmer backed the deal or abstained.

Blair backed the UK joining the ERM wholeheartedly. Did it stop him from capitalising on Black Wednesday?

Cameron and Osborne pledged to match Brown's [IMO ludicrous over-]spending levels for a couple of years. Did it stop them from capitalising on criticism of Brown overspending after the [pre-existing] deficit expanded?

If things go wrong the government carries the can, not the opposition.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:

The Midlands Regional Hockey Association?

Can Pfizer be held up supplying the UK by interference from the US regulators, Foxy?
    Can it be injected into sprouts and taken that way? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Foxy said:

kamski said:

felix said:

Roger said:

A current passport
    Proof of means of income
    Processing fees

Lots of things like that in Italy are difficult, but getting a permesso di soggiorno as an EU citizen is relatively straightforward.
    You should read Tobias Jones: The Dark Heart of Italy.

Despite the gloomy title it's a fun book from someone who clearly loves the country. His stories about getting anything from the Post Office are hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.