Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hatchings, Matchings and Dispatchings. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    tlg86 said:
    SNP gain Cornwall and the IOW?????
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cornwall in Tier 1 - yet has a 100-man outbreak at a Bodmin meat processing plant.

Go figure. (Maybe there is a benefit in having only Conservative MPs in your county when it comes to lobbying....)

Should also kill off Mebyon Kernow for good I would have thought, Boris can be PM of Cornwall for life!
    The rate Boris is going, Cornwall may soon be the only Celtic nation left in the UK.
    I doubt it, Boris also won the largest number of Welsh Tory MPs since 1983 last year
    I think you need to try & figure how Welsh Labour may react if Scotland goes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49262565

I think Carwyn Jones is right -- if Scotland goes, the thinking in Welsh Labour will change very quickly.

Why be part of a perpetually Tory-ruled E&W, when Llafur could run Wales on its own pretty much for ever?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,053

HYUFD said:
    Looks like incitement to me. Nasty little shit stirring fascist.
    He is being a complete prick. It's like lockdown if people break the rules, because they'll inevitably end up in Tier 3. If people aren't the total c*nts that Farage obviously think they are, and stick to the rules, they'll likely move into Tier 1.
    What difference does it make? We've been in "Tier 2" since mid September and it's getting worse not better.
    May be that enough people up there aren't sticking to the rules?
    I don't blame them now to be honest. Everyone I know is completely sick of it.
    I hope they don't get completely sick of something else as a result. But chances are..
    Innumeracy.

The chances are very much against catching Covid-19, less so being made seriously ill by it.

The chances are... increased, if people don't follow the rules. For both the rule breakers, and those around them. They're unlikely to die directly of innumeracy.
    Sure, but that's not what you wrote.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

On the question of vaccine rollout, which vaccine and so on and so forth I'd hope the gov't would be employing the services/awaiting peer reviewed work by professors of medical statistics to calculate efficacy, population efficacy, safety and so forth.
    Moderna, Pfizer, Astra all doubtless have pros and cons and so forth but the headline press releases likely don't tell the full story. As someone with some knowledge of statistics (BSc Maths) I certainly couldn't work out from the limited public knowledge available which is 'best' - the Gov't should be looking to academic statisticians to make that determination, and then go with that.

I think one thing people are missing here is that Moderna as are taking orders from private sector companies as well as governments. A very large number of tech companies and banks are going to get the Moderna vaccine for their employees from Q1 in the US and Q2 in Europe. That will change the government's roll out scheme as a whole host of 24-50 year olds in the private sector might already be vaccinated.
    Do you think the UK government is going to allow private import of vaccines, and allow a grey market to exist? The political optics of that are absolutely terrible, the headlines would write themselves.
    I'm not sure that they can, ultimately if the Moderna vaccine receives MHRA approval then it's going to be very difficult to stop companies from getting it. Additionally I don't think they'll want to as it relieves the pressure on the state scheme and companies in the US will be going great guns with employee vaccination as it comes with gigantic economic benefits.

In some ways having companies do it privately is a shortcut to reviving inner city economies such as London, Manchester, Edinburgh etc... which have been struggling without office workers.
    I don't disagree, but they're more likely want to commandeer any vaccines for the elderly while there is limited supply.

Anything that looks like some people able to bypass the queue, will be an utter nightmare politically for the government.
    Nah, because it's the Moderna vaccine of which the state is only buying 5m doses. I don't see it as a huge concern.
    The numbers themselves would be small, and unlikely to make much of a difference to the big picture, on that we can agree.

But the optics and politics of having certain groups of rich people able to jump the queue for vaccines, while elderly and vulnerable are still waiting for NHS vaccines, are absolutely horrific!
    I don't think it would be legal to restrict a vaccine licence to NHS. If a private company can legitimately lay hands on a stock, they should be legal to use it.
    Interesting, thanks.

I'm no expert on political insight, and I can see the headlines from a mile off, so I would think they'd either change the relevant law or deal with it as a customs/import issue - as was apparently done with PPE earlier this year.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731

FPT

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Here’s some polling for them to get their metropolitan liberal heads around:

Don't be such a tit. The government is full of "metropolitan liberals". The Prime Minister is one of them for goodness sake.

Stop ramping your stupid culture war.
    LOL. One poll shows 66/18 and the other 59/17 in favour of cutting the aid budget.

Dare I suggest that a poll asking the same question in marginal seats in the Midlands and North might be even more in favour of the cuts.

It’s something that only rich metropolitan types, operating at the top of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, care about. The rest of the country thinks that such money is better spent domestically at a time of crisis - especially when it’s borrowed money that your generation will have to pay back.
    Rich metropolitan types like uh, Boris Johnson, Rishi Sunak? Get a grip man.

No one is doubting the polling that the country is in favour of the policy - of course they are. What point are you trying to make?

Other than an opportunity to get a snide culture war reference in, of course.
    The only people pushing the Culture War narrative are the left.

My point is that everyone in politics and media is talking about this and almost nothing else this morning, while most of the country are laughing at them and supporting the government.
    You push the Culture War narrative constantly. Ergo your post is total bollocks.
    I believe in freedom of speech, if that’s what you mean.

The post is total truth, cutting state aid is the single most popular policy this government is enacting. Too many in the media never speak to people who don’t live in Islington.
    I also believe in freedom of speech. I also agree that cutting the aid budget is very popular. So what is your point?

You still push the culture war narrative constantly, in almost all of your posts. It's pretty despicable really.
    Meanwhile, back in 1939....

UK: 'I say, your subjugation of Poland could be considered a bit much. Would you mind backing off and returning to normal, civilized behaviour'?

Germany: 'How very despicable of you to point that out! Now we will do it more!'
    What exactly are you equating to the Nazis?
    I'm saying that in the culture war the left has been driving their tanks all over us for decades, claiming more and more territory. Only now, when the right has just started to push back a little, they're losing their shit at the idea that they will no longer go unchallenged in the space they have dominated for so long, and where even after all their advances they're still not happy with what they've got.
    That's quite the hysterical take.
    What a surprise that you'd like to minimize the reality. 2020 was the year of a major left offensive in the culture war. BLM, 'Defund the Police', decapitating statues or throwing them in the river, taking cancel culture to ludicrous new heights - the British Library putting Ted Hughes on a list because his ancestors allegedly owned slaves in 1592 was a particularly brainless highlight - and now crying because the UK will still be borrowing £10 billion a year just to give it away.

That was just a small sample of what they did in one year, but apparently even mentioning it is 'despicable' now ... apparently.
    You really are hysterical. Apart from that one statue in Bristol, where is this massive statue graveyard of proud British monuments that have been pulled down "by the left"?

"Defund the Police" and "BLM" are largely American movements and have little relevance here. I'm not sure why you're so triggered by them.

Anything else?
    'Defund the police' is very specific to the US.
    It's a daft slogan, but it came about because of this kind of thing:

How a Deadly Police Force Ruled a City
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/11/23/how-a-deadly-police-force-ruled-a-city
    ...Even after the bankruptcy, Vallejo officers were some of the highest paid in California. Tonn’s base pay during his first full year in Vallejo was a hundred thousand dollars—thirty-six thousand dollars more than he made in Galt. This didn’t account for overtime and benefits. In 2018, he made twenty-seven thousand dollars in overtime and thirty-one thousand dollars in “other pay,” and received twenty-two thousand dollars’ worth of benefits. In addition, his pension was funded with fifty-eight thousand dollars...

What it actually means is "implement democratic oversight, and civilian control over their funding".
    Which is what we have in the UK.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    There is a lot of anger in places like the Facebook comments of the local paper about London and "the South" being in Tier 2 but the NE in Tier 3. They are not usually an "anti Tory" hive-mind.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    HYUFD said:
    Kavanaugh's opinion is interesting one here - temporary till the merits of the case are heard, Gorsuch's is as mad as a box of frogs mind. The final decision on this will be 5-4 one way or the other.
    I wouldn't bet on which way beer keg Kav will go though. He's not quite as religiously/constitutionally zealous as Barrett/Alito/Thomas/Gorsuch are.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

There's a long list of areas in England's top tier of Covid rules, tier three, where many businesses must close.

The areas are as follows:

North East
    ---------
    Tees Valley Combined Authority:
    Hartlepool
    Middlesbrough
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Redcar and Cleveland
    Darlington

North East Combined Authority:
    Sunderland
    South Tyneside
    Gateshead
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    North Tyneside
    County Durham
    Northumberland

North West
    --------
    Greater Manchester
    Lancashire
    Blackpool
    Blackburn with Darwen

Yorkshire and The Humber
    -----------------------
    The Humber
    West Yorkshire
    South Yorkshire

West Midlands
    ------------
    Birmingham and Black Country
    Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
    Warwickshire, Coventry and Solihull

East Midlands
    -----------
    Derby and Derbyshire
    Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
    Leicester and Leicestershire
    Lincolnshire

South East
    ---------
    Slough (remainder of Berkshire is in tier two)
    Kent and Medway

South West
    ---------
    Bristol
    South Gloucestershire
    North Somerset

And businesses forced to close in all of them will get next to diddly squat in compensation if the following is true:

https://twitter.com/AndyBurnhamGM/status/1331884141223309313
    Now, if only they had voted a raft of Tory MPs like Cornwall.

That'll larn yer.....
    Liverpool will only be in Tier 2 despite only having Labour MPs, Kent has every MP bar 1 Tory, it is in Tier 3
    Tongue was somewhat in cheek.

Still can't see how Cornwall is Tier 1 and South Hams tier 2. If people can't see the rationale, they will just ignore - right across the country. There needs to be constant reassessment and rapid turnaround in these categories built into this system. If things change in a week, the tier should change. Both ways, if it is to have any wide adherence.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

On the question of vaccine rollout, which vaccine and so on and so forth I'd hope the gov't would be employing the services/awaiting peer reviewed work by professors of medical statistics to calculate efficacy, population efficacy, safety and so forth.
    Moderna, Pfizer, Astra all doubtless have pros and cons and so forth but the headline press releases likely don't tell the full story. As someone with some knowledge of statistics (BSc Maths) I certainly couldn't work out from the limited public knowledge available which is 'best' - the Gov't should be looking to academic statisticians to make that determination, and then go with that.

I think one thing people are missing here is that Moderna as are taking orders from private sector companies as well as governments. A very large number of tech companies and banks are going to get the Moderna vaccine for their employees from Q1 in the US and Q2 in Europe. That will change the government's roll out scheme as a whole host of 24-50 year olds in the private sector might already be vaccinated.
    Do you think the UK government is going to allow private import of vaccines, and allow a grey market to exist? The political optics of that are absolutely terrible, the headlines would write themselves.
    I'm not sure that they can, ultimately if the Moderna vaccine receives MHRA approval then it's going to be very difficult to stop companies from getting it. Additionally I don't think they'll want to as it relieves the pressure on the state scheme and companies in the US will be going great guns with employee vaccination as it comes with gigantic economic benefits.

In some ways having companies do it privately is a shortcut to reviving inner city economies such as London, Manchester, Edinburgh etc... which have been struggling without office workers.
    I don't disagree, but they're more likely want to commandeer any vaccines for the elderly while there is limited supply.

Anything that looks like some people able to bypass the queue, will be an utter nightmare politically for the government.
    Nah, because it's the Moderna vaccine of which the state is only buying 5m doses. I don't see it as a huge concern.
    The numbers themselves would be small, and unlikely to make much of a difference to the big picture, on that we can agree.

But the optics and politics of having certain groups of rich people able to jump the queue for vaccines, while elderly and vulnerable are still waiting for NHS vaccines, are absolutely horrific!
    I don't think it would be legal to restrict a vaccine licence to NHS. If a private company can legitimately lay hands on a stock, they should be legal to use it.
    Interesting, thanks.

I'm no expert on political insight, and I can see the headlines from a mile off, so I would think they'd either change the relevant law or deal with it as a customs/import issue - as was apparently done with PPE earlier this year.
    On the PPE - a relative runs a business involving building supplies. He sells N95s normally. Import deliveries started being replaced with a note from Customs saying that they had impounded them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited November 2020

There is a lot of anger in places like the Facebook comments of the local paper about London and "the South" being in Tier 2 but the NE in Tier 3. They are not usually an "anti Tory" hive-mind.

Which is of course rubbish, while the North East is in Tier 3, Liverpool, York and Cumbria are only in Tier 2 and Kent (where my parents live), Slough and Bristol in the South will be in Tier 3 along with the North East
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

Which is of course rubbish, while the North East is in Tier 3, Liverpool, York and Cumbria are only in Tier 2 and Kent and Bristol in the South will be in Tier 3
    So what? The perception is what matters, not the reality.

You should know that more than most.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cornwall in Tier 1 - yet has a 100-man outbreak at a Bodmin meat processing plant.

Go figure. (Maybe there is a benefit in having only Conservative MPs in your county when it comes to lobbying....)

Should also kill off Mebyon Kernow for good I would have thought, Boris can be PM of Cornwall for life!
    The rate Boris is going, Cornwall may soon be the only Celtic nation left in the UK.
    I doubt it, Boris also won the largest number of Welsh Tory MPs since 1983 last year

I think Carwyn Jones is right -- if Scotland goes, the thinking in Welsh Labour will change very quickly.

Why be part of a perpetually Tory-ruled E&W, when Llafur could run Wales on its own pretty much for ever?
    I suspect over a Parliament or two Labour would level up in England. England might veer from 3 handsome Conservative majorities to a Labour Government for England scraping over the line every one in four.

I am a confirmed semi-Unionist, but once Scotland (personally not so fussed about NI) has gone, what is the point. Without Scotland I would reluctantly give Independence for Wales a whirl, and I am not sure a lifetime of Labour Governments would be likely either.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Re tiers: I understand that these tiers will be reviewed on 16 December (14 days after 2 December) and every two weeks thereafter.

If the 16 December review indicates that an area must change from, say, Tier 2 to Tier 3, would this be immediate, i.e. literally from 16 December, or would there be some days before the change comes into force?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think this a big deal because the Moderna vaccine isn't being sold outside of the US and Canada until April anyway.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Wouldnt it be quite easy to do this with the licensing? License it subject to being distributed by the NHS approved list and make it illegal elsewhere?

I would expect it to be unavailable privately in the UK, but for there to be a vaccine tourism industry for the super elite where they fly somewhere to get it.
    FFS we are not talking about spending millions of dollars to be infused with the blood of newborn infants, we are talking about spending £100 out of one's own pocket, freeing up NHS resources in the process. There are people who can't afford that but they are not the norm. A pandemic is bad enough without using it as a pretext to introduce authoritarian communism while you're at it.
    The vaccines have been public-private initiatives. It is not communism to want the vaccine to go to those who need it not those who can pay.
    So what force do you give to the "private" element in "public-private," and why do you regard this as a zero sum game? Nobody is proposing to hive off from the NHS allocation in order to sell at a profit in a Third Man kind of way. If the NHS feels it is short it can order more.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    SNP gain Cornwall and the IOW?????
    I could live with a reverse takeover of the UK by Nippy.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I suspect over a Parliament or two Labour would level up in England. England might veer from 3 handsome Conservative majorities to a Labour Government for England scraping over the line every one in four.

I am a confirmed semi-Unionist, but once Scotland (personally not so fussed about NI) has gone, what is the point. Without Scotland I would reluctantly give Independence for Wales a whirl, and I am not sure a lifetime of Labour Governments would be likely either.
    " I am not sure a lifetime of Labour Governments would be likely either"

Oh, agreed. But the thinking among Welsh Labour AMs is that they will be able to run Wales forever 😁

(As of course SLAB once thought about Scotland).
  • Options
    Only one other G20 nation met 0.5% of GNI before the pandemic.

Anyone complaining about us going down to 0.5% given our borrowing figures are absolutely certifiably insane. Even 0.5% is probably too high still looking at what 18 of the other G20 nations are doing.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,207
    edited November 2020
    Stocky said:

Re tiers: I understand that these tiers will be reviewed on 16 December (14 days after 2 December) and every two weeks thereafter.

If the 16 December review indicates that an area must change from, say, Tier 2 to Tier 3, would this be immediate, i.e. literally from 16 December, or would there be some days before the change comes into force?

I would imagine the results of the review would be announced around a week before -similar to what has happened today with the initial tiers.

So the first review (for 16 Dec) will be conducted around 7/8 Dec and announced c 9 Dec based on early Dec data.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That will depend on how Scotland does. If there's no Scottish economic miracle after independence, expect the Welsh to shrug and carry on as is. No doubt that an independent Scotland would lobby the EU for massive sweeteners to "stick it to rUK", but even if that succeeds, there's little reason to believe that largesse would extend to Wales too. ("EU largesse" looking a mortally wounded creature these days, shorn of the UK's contributions.)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Its bad enough here on Teesside - we were only Tier 2 before this. Over in Greater Manchester they've been in lockdown since the end of July. In the case of vulnerable shielding people like my parents they have been effectively locked down since March...

Whilst all this makes me sad at least Sertraline keeps me sane, albeit somewhat larger than I was when I was going bonkers. Another month of lockdown to come, then 5 days off for PoxFest and then presumably back into lockdown until we get vaccinated.

Yay.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think this a big deal because the Moderna vaccine isn't being sold outside of the US and Canada until April anyway.
    If we are already at the point where over-65s have all been vaccinated already, then maybe it's not too much of an issue - but if US supply starts turning up in Harley St in January, at £250 a dose for bankers and celebrities, there will be uproar.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

If we are already at the point where over-65s have all been vaccinated already, then maybe it's not too much of an issue - but if US supply starts turning up in Harley St in January, at £250 a dose for bankers and celebrities, there will be uproar.
    I seriously doubt there would be an uproar. I think it's mostly expected at this point.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland is not going, given Sturgeon's current haplessness she may even lose her majority next year and even if she does not the Tories will ban indyref2 as long as they are in power.

Even if Scotland did go and Welsh Labour decided to become pro indy it is Welsh Labour that will get obliterated not the Union with England as Unionists in Wales move en masse to the Tories and LDs. Look what happened in Scotland where the Tories are now the main Unionist Party and the SNP the main Nationalist Party, the same would happen in Wales with Labour getting squeezed by Plaid and the Tories.

Wales also voted Leave just like England so even has no grievance over Brexit unlike Scotland and in any case the anti devolution Abolish the Welsh Assembly will likely win their first AMs next year too, it is not Plaid on the rise but anti devolutionists in Wales at least, remember 49% of Welsh voters even voted against having an Assembly in 1997.

Finally of course Wales has been part of the Kingdom of England with a Prince of Wales since the 13th century and officially united with England since the 16th century, Scotland has only shared the same crown as England since the 17th century and only united with England in the 18th century with Ireland only joining in the early 19th century which only lasted a century until the creation of the Free State and Northern Ireland in 1921
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:
    Massive LD surge! Should be a comfortable majority.
    A result for Mebyon Kernow and Wight Nationalists, as well.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Its bad enough here on Teesside - we were only Tier 2 before this. Over in Greater Manchester they've been in lockdown since the end of July. In the case of vulnerable shielding people like my parents they have been effectively locked down since March...

Whilst all this makes me sad at least Sertraline keeps me sane, albeit somewhat larger than I was when I was going bonkers. Another month of lockdown to come, then 5 days off for PoxFest and then presumably back into lockdown until we get vaccinated.

Yay.
    Yeah, Tier 2 and Tier 3 are not sustainable long term. No wonder people are breaking the rules - especially people who consider themselves to be low risk.

It has been disastrous for my mental health too.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

" I am not sure a lifetime of Labour Governments would be likely either"

Oh, agreed. But the thinking among Welsh Labour AMs is that they will be able to run Wales forever 😁

(As of course SLAB once thought about Scotland).
    It's a shame PC are such a shambles. Key Tories in Wales (Paul Davies, RT, wee Alun, and the texter from Pembs. For starters) with the exception of Hart make Johnson look like the genius lovechild of Churchill and Roosevelt.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scotland is not going, given Sturgeon's current haplessness she may even lose her majority next year and even if she does not the Tories will ban indyref2 as long as they are in power.

Even if Scotland did go and Welsh Labour decided to become pro indy it is Welsh Labour that will get obliterated not the Union as Unionists in Wales move en masse to the Tories and LDs. Look what happened in Scotland where the Tories are now the main Unionist Party and the SNP the main Nationalist Party, the same would happen in Wales with Labour getting squeezed by Plaid and the Tories.

Wales also voted Leave just like England so even has no grievance over Brexit unlike Scotland and in any case the anti devolution Abolish the Welsh Assembly will likely win their first AMs next year too, it is not Plaid on the rise but anti devolutionists in Wales at least, remember 49% of Welsh voters even voted against having an Assembly in 1997
    "ban".

You really are a spanner
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I seriously doubt there would be an uproar. I think it's mostly expected at this point.
    I don't think many expect it to be private in January.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even if Scotland did go and Welsh Labour decided to become pro indy it is Welsh Labour that will get obliterated not the Union as Unionists in Wales move en masse to the Tories and LDs. Look what happened in Scotland where the Tories are now the main Unionist Party and the SNP the main Nationalist Party, the same would happen in Wales with Labour getting squeezed by Plaid and the Tories.

Wales also voted Leave just like England so even has no grievance over Brexit unlike Scotland and in any case the anti devolution Abolish the Welsh Assembly will likely win their first AMs next year too, it is not Plaid on the rise but anti devolutionists in Wales at least, remember 49% of Welsh voters even voted against having an Assembly in 1997
    "ban".

You really are a spanner
    No he's not.

Spanners have a useful function.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That will depend on how Scotland does. If there's no Scottish economic miracle after independence, expect the Welsh to shrug and carry on as is. No doubt that an independent Scotland would lobby the EU for massive sweeteners to "stick it to rUK", but even if that succeeds, there's little reason to believe that largesse would extend to Wales too. ("EU largesse" looking a mortally wounded creature these days, shorn of the UK's contributions.)
    Golly, at least things have gone from inevitable Jockageddon to may not be an economic miracle.
  • Options
    There are always issues over defining things in terms of days as you can mean several things. 28 days can mean 28 x 24 hour periods (ending 3rd December in this case) or can mean ending at the start of the 28th day (2nd December in this case). "Clear days", on the other hand would mean 4th December as 12.01am is technically one minute into 5th November, so you'd start counting from 6th. There are various quite dull legal cases about it. But in any event they've opted for 2nd, which is one possible way to define it so fair enough.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    edited November 2020
    Nigelb said:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/11/23/how-a-deadly-police-force-ruled-a-city
    ...Even after the bankruptcy, Vallejo officers were some of the highest paid in California. Tonn’s base pay during his first full year in Vallejo was a hundred thousand dollars—thirty-six thousand dollars more than he made in Galt. This didn’t account for overtime and benefits. In 2018, he made twenty-seven thousand dollars in overtime and thirty-one thousand dollars in “other pay,” and received twenty-two thousand dollars’ worth of benefits. In addition, his pension was funded with fifty-eight thousand dollars...

What it actually means is "implement democratic oversight, and civilian control over their funding".

Be interesting to see what the "real" BLM has as its policies, once the official political party is launched. This is the Electoral Commission's entry for their application:
    Black Lives Matter
    Part of the UK that this application applies to: All of Great Britain

Proposed name: Black Lives Matter

Proposed descriptions:

Black Lives Matter
    Black Lives Matter/All Lives Matter
    Black Lives Matter for the GLA
    Black Lives Matter Great Britain
    Black Lives Matter (United Kingdom)
    The Black Lives Matter Party
    Black Lives Matter party of Wales / Plaid Wleidyddol Cymru Du Yn Byw
    Black Lives Matter party of Scotland

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/party-registration-applications/view-current-applications

This party's existence may not be ideal for Starmer. I have a few London friends who will vote for it given the chance, now Corbyn's not in charge. However many times Sir Keir takes the knee.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728

Scott_xP said:

Yay.
    Leicester has had some form of lockdown continuously since March 23rd.

It seems daft that I cannot meet Fox jr within the rules until 23rd Dec, then we can have a 5 day Baccanalia, then presumably not meet again until Easter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Even if Scotland did go and Welsh Labour decided to become pro indy it is Welsh Labour that will get obliterated not the Union with England as Unionists in Wales move en masse to the Tories and LDs. Look what happened in Scotland where the Tories are now the main Unionist Party and the SNP the main Nationalist Party, the same would happen in Wales with Labour getting squeezed by Plaid and the Tories.

Wales also voted Leave just like England so even has no grievance over Brexit unlike Scotland and in any case the anti devolution Abolish the Welsh Assembly will likely win their first AMs next year too, it is not Plaid on the rise but anti devolutionists in Wales at least, remember 49% of Welsh voters even voted against having an Assembly in 1997.

Finally of course Wales has been part of the Kingdom of England with a Prince of Wales since the 13th century and officially united with England since the 16th century, Scotland only shared the same crown as England since the 17th century and only united with England in the 18th century with Ireland only joining in the early 19th century which only lasted a century until the creation of the Free State and Northern Ireland in 1921
    My goodness! General Franco lives and breathes...in Epping Forest!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't know where the supply comes from for that because Moderna, Pfizer and AZ are delivering directly to the US, UK and Japanese governments until the end of Q1. It would need one of these governments to sell to the private sector and while it may have been a possibility under Trump, it seems extremely unlikely under Biden.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"ban".

You really are a spanner
    No he's not.

Spanners have a useful function.
    Genuine lol. He does have a point though. There is a long list of countries where the majority of people wanted independence and the imperial power declared they would ban it and the independence movement went away with their tail between their legs...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

There may be no legal way to stop it.

If a drug or vaccine has a licence, it is on grounds of safety and efficacy. Where it is used is not part of the licence.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    An observation:

The confident assertions on PB, and elsewhere, that "almost everywhere will be in Tier 3" turned out to be utter shite.

Funny old world.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Which is of course rubbish, while the North East is in Tier 3, Liverpool, York and Cumbria are only in Tier 2 and Kent and Bristol in the South will be in Tier 3

Your perception is that of a diehard anti Tory, I care not
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Be interesting to see what the "real" BLM has as its policies, once the official political party is launched. This is the Electoral Commission's entry for their application:
    Black Lives Matter

Proposed descriptions:

Black Lives Matter

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/party-registration-applications/view-current-applications

This party's existence may not be ideal for Starmer. I have a few London friends who will vote for it given the chance, now Corbyn's not in charge. However many times Sir Kier takes the knee.
    Totally irrelevant to Labour, I'd have thought. They aren't going to take appreciable numbers of votes, and would presumably stand in seats which are overwhelmingly Labour anyway. The fringe parties to worry about are those that might get 1000 votes plus in seats that might actually change hands.
  • Options

There are always issues over defining things in terms of days as you can mean several things. 28 days can mean 28 x 24 hour periods (ending 3rd December in this case) or can mean ending at the start of the 28th day (2nd December in this case). "Clear days", on the other hand would mean 4th December as 12.01am is technically one minute into 5th November, so you'd start counting from 6th. There are various quite dull legal cases about it. But in any event they've opted for 2nd, which is one possible way to define it so fair enough.
    In any case Parliament isn't bound by its prior decisions if it passes subsequent motions that override earlier ones.

Had the new legislation said it was coming into place from 1 December then that would take precedence over the earlier 28 day ones from the 1st.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Finally of course Wales has been part of the Kingdom of England with a Prince of Wales since the 13th century and officially united with England since the 16th century, Scotland only shared the same crown as England since the 17th century and only united with England in the 18th century with Ireland only joining in the early 19th century which only lasted a century until the creation of the Free State and Northern Ireland in 1921
    El HYUFDillo
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I haven't once mentioned my own perception...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

If the private vaccines arrive before MPs and the media have been vaccinated, there will be a massive uproar!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183

There's a long list of areas in England's top tier of Covid rules, tier three, where many businesses must close.

The areas are as follows:

North East
    ---------
    Tees Valley Combined Authority:
    Hartlepool
    Middlesbrough
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Redcar and Cleveland
    Darlington

North East Combined Authority:
    Sunderland
    South Tyneside
    Gateshead
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    North Tyneside
    County Durham
    Northumberland

North West
    --------
    Greater Manchester
    Lancashire
    Blackpool
    Blackburn with Darwen

Yorkshire and The Humber
    -----------------------
    The Humber
    West Yorkshire
    South Yorkshire

West Midlands
    ------------
    Birmingham and Black Country
    Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
    Warwickshire, Coventry and Solihull

East Midlands
    -----------
    Derby and Derbyshire
    Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
    Leicester and Leicestershire
    Lincolnshire

South East
    ---------
    Slough (remainder of Berkshire is in tier two)
    Kent and Medway

South West
    ---------
    Bristol
    South Gloucestershire
    North Somerset

And businesses forced to close in all of them will get next to diddly squat in compensation if the following is true:

https://twitter.com/AndyBurnhamGM/status/1331884141223309313
    Now, if only they had voted a raft of Tory MPs like Cornwall.

That'll larn yer.....
    Didn't help Kent (Canterbury excepted)
  • Options

Labour going hard on Foreign Aid

Big mistake IMO

Voters of all shades agree with the change.

I can understand why people would want to die in a ditch over it - being compassionate and caring about poor people is what Britain used to be about. However as its now policy to fuck the poor (as well as business) I can't see the point in making a stand to protect poor foreigners when we're not succeeding to protect poor Brits.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452
    edited November 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Wouldnt it be quite easy to do this with the licensing? License it subject to being distributed by the NHS approved list and make it illegal elsewhere?

I would expect it to be unavailable privately in the UK, but for there to be a vaccine tourism industry for the super elite where they fly somewhere to get it.
    FFS we are not talking about spending millions of dollars to be infused with the blood of newborn infants, we are talking about spending £100 out of one's own pocket, freeing up NHS resources in the process. There are people who can't afford that but they are not the norm. A pandemic is bad enough without using it as a pretext to introduce authoritarian communism while you're at it.
    The vaccines have been public-private initiatives. It is not communism to want the vaccine to go to those who need it not those who can pay.
    So what force do you give to the "private" element in "public-private," and why do you regard this as a zero sum game? Nobody is proposing to hive off from the NHS allocation in order to sell at a profit in a Third Man kind of way. If the NHS feels it is short it can order more.
    IMO it is zero-sum as the number of available doses is lower than the population size.

To put it very crudely it is not efficient to vaccinate the worried-wealthy ahead of those in the most vulnerable demographics. I'm sure it is justifiable for some essential industries to vaccinate their workforces however I doubt the smooth running of EY's tax division is integral to the the country.

Edit: Without state largesse both financial and regulatory the damn things wouldn't be here in the first place.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

If a drug or vaccine has a licence, it is on grounds of safety and efficacy. Where it is used is not part of the licence.
    They could make it a controlled drug? :D
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

Carnyx said:

Salmond vs Sturgeon. Round 22.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/politics/scottish-politics/2680648/salmond-inquiry-scottish-governments-second-humiliating-defeat/

At the moment it's a proxy fight with poor old "Honest John" Swinney taking the punches. He looked pretty ashen last night during the debate.

Next step is likely to be a vote of No Confidence in Swinney if ScotGov continues to withhold the evidence.

When this all kicked off most people dismissed Salmond's charges that there was a conspiracy against him. Quite a few folk are revising their opinion.

Worth keeping an eye on although I appreciate most PB-ers are bored to tears with matters Caledonian, and don't wish to provoke MalcolmG et al anymore than they have to....

I wouldn't take the P&J as gospel.

But I'm not sure that Malky and I would react in the way you assume. In particular, I am increasingly convinced that neither you nor anyone else at PB - let alone the SCUP and their little helpers have thought this one right through to the wider implications.
    Not sure what you mean as taking P&J as gospel. It's looks like fairly straight reporting rather than comment.

Intrigued by your latter point. What's the downside to SCUP etc of an SNP civil war? If Sturgeon goes down the optics won't be great, surely?
    Still thinking about it - and I don't like commenting on anything to do with legal cases.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Yay.
    Leicester has had some form of lockdown continuously since March 23rd.

It seems daft that I cannot meet Fox jr within the rules until 23rd Dec, then we can have a 5 day Baccanalia, then presumably not meet again until Easter.
    Ah but remember when you meet Fox Jr on the 23rd you must remain 2m away from him at all times.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Black Lives Matter

Proposed descriptions:

Black Lives Matter

This party's existence may not be ideal for Starmer. I have a few London friends who will vote for it given the chance, now Corbyn's not in charge. However many times Sir Kier takes the knee.
    Totally irrelevant to Labour, I'd have thought. They aren't going to take appreciable numbers of votes, and would presumably stand in seats which are overwhelmingly Labour anyway. The fringe parties to worry about are those that might get 1000 votes plus in seats that might actually change hands.
    I think they've already been given enough free PR by the state broadcaster to end up as more than just a tiny fringe party. And if Sir Marcus and Sir Lewis back the new party they'll get a load more Beeb love.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am no Franco fan but he did manage to keep Spain united for his 36 years in power as did PM Rajoy in 2017 despite the threat from Catalan separatists
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

There doesn't seem to be any legal route to market for Q1 at least given all the contracts go to national governments. Not unless the national governments choose to sell it on.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am no Franco fan but he did manage to keep Spain united for his 36 years in power as did PM Rajoy in 2017 despite the threat from Catalan separatists
    Bloody hell...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I rest my case M'Lud!
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

There doesn't seem to be any legal route to market for Q1 at least given all the contracts go to national governments. Not unless the national governments choose to sell it on.
    Even from that, only Moderna is taking private sector orders right now. I don't think AZ and Pfizer will in 2021 at all given their huge supply commitments to state and NGO type bodies. I think the market opens up massively if J&J and Novovax receive approval early next year, at that point you could see the UK government cancel orders from one or two of their listed suppliers freeing up capacity of which I'm sure the private sector will get a proportion.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

By fear and favour, United is questionable apart from in a political sense.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks for the history lesson.

You need to understand only one thing about modern Wales.

Well over half the population is in Cardiff and the Valleys & many of them really hate the Tories.

That is it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020

Big mistake IMO

I can understand why people would want to die in a ditch over it - being compassionate and caring about poor people is what Britain used to be about. However as its now policy to fuck the poor (as well as business) I can't see the point in making a stand to protect poor foreigners when we're not succeeding to protect poor Brits.
    It isn't like we are just stopping all foreign aid. 0.5% of GDP is still above what basically every other country gives, and we have been giving far in excess of all our neighbours for many years. The French for instance never give more than ~0.4%.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely. Why should you - the only gay Tory in the village - give a rat fuck about perception or indeed what the peons think.

Don't they know who you are?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The falangist government in exile, headquartered at Grimston's Oak.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    Digressing from lockdown, there's an interesting article on the current economics of battery storage, and why it's starting to displace gas powered plants for some purposes (a topic of discussion on here recently):
    https://reneweconomy.com.au/big-batteries-are-getting-bigger-and-smarter-and-doing-things-fossil-fuels-cant-do-96815/
    Batteries have become specialists at providing critical grid services such as frequency control, and are now moving into the large scale provision of “synthetic inertia”. Soon they will be “grid forming”, rather than “grid following”, and offering “system strength”, but these are just a fraction of the so-called “value stack” that is on offer. All of these eat into the domain traditionally dominated by the fossil fuel generators...

And that's with current storage costs.
    The new batteries from the massive Tesla plants, like the one being built in Germany, will be significantly cheaper.

We'll probably be importing ours, rather than manufacturing them.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well over half the population is in Cardiff and the Valleys & many of them really hate the Tories.

That is it.
    Maybe @HYUFD will hive off the rest of Wales into the Kingdom of England and he'll allow you to have an independent state of Cardiff and the Valleys. And you'll be grateful.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2020

Big mistake IMO

It isn't like we are just stopping all foreign aid. 0.5% of GDP is still above what basically every other country gives, and we have been giving far in excess of all our neighbours for many years. The French for instance never give more than ~0.4%.
    Labour didn't give 0.4% either.

We should cut it to 0.5% this year and to 0.4% next year, 0.35% the year after - that would bring it back in line with what Labour spent when they were in office and the G20 average.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is it.
    So what, that does not mean they want independence eg Cardiff even voted against devolution in 1997 as did Newport and Torfaen.

Plus of course most of South Wales voted for Brexit and the Tories did better in Wales last year than they have done for decades
  • Options
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is it.
    Maybe @HYUFD will hive off the rest of Wales into the Kingdom of England and he'll allow you to have an independent state of Cardiff and the Valleys. And you'll be grateful.
    I live in Dwyfor Meirionnydd ... or Greater Epping Forest.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Finally of course Wales has been part of the Kingdom of England with a Prince of Wales since the 13th century and officially united with England since the 16th century, Scotland has only shared the same crown as England since the 17th century and only united with England in the 18th century with Ireland only joining in the early 19th century which only lasted a century until the creation of the Free State and Northern Ireland in 1921
    You do like giving us your history lessons as if they're a sure fire predictor of the future. If PB had been around at the time of the Boston Tea Party you would have been posting "Finally of course the colonies have NEVER been independent nations, having been officially part of the Empire since they were settled nearly 200 years ago..."
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I hope ruling and keeping a country united (as in not separating) for a long time isn't considered a good quality as otherwise I give you Castro, Kim II Sung, Khamenei, Mao, .....

Actually I do have a bit of a soft spot for Castro.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Isn't Epping Forest where the crims buried their bodies? Handy for all those extrajudicial killings HYUFD will require to keep the United in the UK.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That`s a cracking HYUFD response
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Isn't Epping Forest where the crims buried their bodies? Handy for all those extrajudicial killings HYUFD will require to keep the United in the UK.
    Well it is incredibly rural after all. Perfect for body burying. You can then hop back on the tube to Central London.
  • Options
    Totally off topic, but a bit of unadulterated, guilt free joy in these shyte times.

https://twitter.com/YourWullie/status/1331716166239350785?s=20
  • Options
    UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson will lead a Downing Street press conference this evening.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair, one of the first places you'd look for him!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You do like giving us your history lessons as if they're a sure fire predictor of the future. If PB had been around at the time of the Boston Tea Party you would have been posting "Finally of course the colonies have NEVER been independent nations, having been officially part of the Empire since they were settled nearly 200 years ago..."
    He would have been a cheerleader for the Intolerable Acts.
  • Options
    BBC R4 WATO are really sticking the boot in to post Lockdown tiers. Support from the Labour Mayor of Birmingham and Burnham for the Government. Steve Baker calling Boris' Government "authoritarian". Graham Brady wants Trafford and Stockport dropped down to tier 2. Brady voting against the policy...oh and now an "authoritarian" from Brady too.

Likewise on this board. Only my myself and HYUFD flying the flag for Johnson.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Plus of course most of South Wales voted for Brexit and the Tories did better in Wales last year than they have done for decades

Err .... not in South Wales. The Tories took Bridgend, which was a good gain for them.

But, in 2015, they held Cardiff N and Gower, which they lost in 2017 and did not retake. Cardiff North is historically a Tory Seat.

The Tories did well in North & Central Wales. They are almost maxed out there.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Some key analytical insights here - if the US had more turkey-producing counties, Trump would be President-reelect

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/26/trump-support-turkey-2020-election-440608

TSE should enjoy the number of groan-worthy puns.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed it has a long and macabre history, dating back to Dick Turpin through gangland shenanigans and various unexplained disappearances. It's also the largest open space within the M25 and a notable beauty spot with many elegant buildings that can be commandeered for – shall we say – 'patriotic use'.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

The current Lockdown did begin on Thursday 5th November. If it ends at midnight on Tuesday 1st December , it will have lasted 27 days.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I hope ruling and keeping a country united (as in not separating) for a long time isn't considered a good quality as otherwise I give you Castro, Kim II Sung, Khamenei, Mao, .....

Actually I di have a bit of a soft spot for Castro.
    It is true strong leaders can often be bastards but do keep their countries united, as well as those mentioned and Franco, Edward 1st and Henry VIII of course too.

Weak leaders like Edward IInd or Henry VIth or Lord North or Gorbachev or Assad can see their nations break up or lose territory, if you just ignore the moral debate
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,689

BBC R4 WATO are really sticking the boot in to post Lockdown tiers. Support from the Labour Mayor of Birmingham and Burnham for the Government. Steve Baker calling Boris' Government "authoritarian". Graham Brady wants Trafford and Stockport dropped down to tier 2. Brady voting against the policy...oh and now an "authoritarian" from Brady too.

Liberals are usually on the side of the underdog, so I suppose I ought to say something nice about Johnson and his government..... Any suggestions about what I should say?
  • Options
    I would strongly advise against marking the 'centenary' of a political unit which is considered by up to half its population as being an illegitimate statelet.
  • Options

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson will lead a Downing Street press conference this evening.

Can they ask Boris if there is anything he wants to watch on television before they need to schedule it again this time around?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

Err .... not in South Wales. The Tories took Bridgend, which was a good gain for them.

But, in 2015, they held Cardiff N and Gower, which they lost in 2017 and did not retake. Cardiff North is historically a Tory Seat.

The Tories did well in North & Central Wales. They are almost maxed out there.
    The Tories under Boris won 36% of the vote in Wales and 14 seats last year, their highest voteshare and number of MPs in Wales since 1983.

In 2015 the Tories only won 27% in Wales and 11 seats under Cameron.

In fact even in 1983 Thatcher only got 31% in Wales despite winning 14 seats, so Boris did even better than Thatcher in Wales. Boris is the most popular Tory leader in Wales in terms of voteshare since before WW2

https://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinwales/2013/10/09/the-history-of-one-party-dominance-in-wales-part-2-labour-hegemony/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Actually I di have a bit of a soft spot for Castro.
    It is true strong leaders can often be bastards but do keep their countries united, as well as those mentioned and Franco, Edward 1st and Henry VIII of course too.

Weak leaders like Edward IInd or Henry VIth or Lord North or Gorbachev or Assad can see their nations break up or lose territory, if you just ignore the moral debate
    A country held together by violence is not "united". It is merely subjugated.
  • Options

With household mixing banned outside Cornwall and the IOW, looks like the sex ban may extend my thesis in the header.

Mistletoe sales right down...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

To be fair, one of the first places you'd look for him!
    In plain sight, as the Chairman of the Constituency Conservative Association.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

The current Lockdown did begin on Thursday 5th November. If it ends at midnight on Tuesday 1st December , it will have lasted 27 days.
    It won't end at midnight on Tuesday 1st December, it will end 12:01am on Wednesday 2nd December, the 28th day.

So it will last 28 days technically. But of those 28 days on day one it will last 23 hours and 59 minutes, then 26 full days, then the 28th day it lasts for one minute.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

This is among PB's most boring debates (I know, I know).

I mean, who cares?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Big mistake IMO

Not a salient issue though - and many senior Tories agree with Labour. The decision highlights what a low form of life this government amounts to.
This discussion has been closed.