Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hatchings, Matchings and Dispatchings. – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    justin124 said:

Labour going hard on Foreign Aid

Big mistake IMO

Voters of all shades agree with the change.

Not a salient issue though - and many senior Tories agree with Labour. The decision highlights what a low form of life this government amounts to.
    How is looking after the British economy and giving more aid to foreign nations than almost any other G20 nation a "low form of life"?
  • Options

justin124 said:

There are always issues over defining things in terms of days as you can mean several things. 28 days can mean 28 x 24 hour periods (ending 3rd December in this case) or can mean ending at the start of the 28th day (2nd December in this case). "Clear days", on the other hand would mean 4th December as 12.01am is technically one minute into 5th November, so you'd start counting from 6th. There are various quite dull legal cases about it. But in any event they've opted for 2nd, which is one possible way to define it so fair enough.
    The current Lockdown did begin on Thursday 5th November. If it ends at midnight on Tuesday 1st December , it will have lasted 27 days.
    This is among PB's most boring debates (I know, I know).

I mean, who cares?
    Even by the pedantic standards of PB, this is way out there.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cornwall in Tier 1 - yet has a 100-man outbreak at a Bodmin meat processing plant.

Go figure. (Maybe there is a benefit in having only Conservative MPs in your county when it comes to lobbying....)

Should also kill off Mebyon Kernow for good I would have thought, Boris can be PM of Cornwall for life!
    The rate Boris is going, Cornwall may soon be the only Celtic nation left in the UK.
    I doubt it, Boris also won the largest number of Welsh Tory MPs since 1983 last year
    I think you need to try & figure how Welsh Labour may react if Scotland goes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49262565

I think Carwyn Jones is right -- if Scotland goes, the thinking in Welsh Labour will change very quickly.

Why be part of a perpetually Tory-ruled E&W, when Llafur could run Wales on its own pretty much for ever?
    Scotland is not going, given Sturgeon's current haplessness she may even lose her majority next year and even if she does not the Tories will ban indyref2 as long as they are in power.

Even if Scotland did go and Welsh Labour decided to become pro indy it is Welsh Labour that will get obliterated not the Union with England as Unionists in Wales move en masse to the Tories and LDs. Look what happened in Scotland where the Tories are now the main Unionist Party and the SNP the main Nationalist Party, the same would happen in Wales with Labour getting squeezed by Plaid and the Tories.

Wales also voted Leave just like England so even has no grievance over Brexit unlike Scotland and in any case the anti devolution Abolish the Welsh Assembly will likely win their first AMs next year too, it is not Plaid on the rise but anti devolutionists in Wales at least, remember 49% of Welsh voters even voted against having an Assembly in 1997.

Finally of course Wales has been part of the Kingdom of England with a Prince of Wales since the 13th century and officially united with England since the 16th century, Scotland only shared the same crown as England since the 17th century and only united with England in the 18th century with Ireland only joining in the early 19th century which only lasted a century until the creation of the Free State and Northern Ireland in 1921
    My goodness! General Franco lives and breathes...in Epping Forest!
    To be fair, one of the first places you'd look for him!
    Apologising for this morning's communication error, confirming the whole of England is indeed in Tier One.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,056

justin124 said:

There are always issues over defining things in terms of days as you can mean several things. 28 days can mean 28 x 24 hour periods (ending 3rd December in this case) or can mean ending at the start of the 28th day (2nd December in this case). "Clear days", on the other hand would mean 4th December as 12.01am is technically one minute into 5th November, so you'd start counting from 6th. There are various quite dull legal cases about it. But in any event they've opted for 2nd, which is one possible way to define it so fair enough.
    The current Lockdown did begin on Thursday 5th November. If it ends at midnight on Tuesday 1st December , it will have lasted 27 days.

I mean, who cares?
    :D

Which is certainly saying something, but yes indeed.
  • Options
    The elite concierge that will get his clients first dibs on the Covid vaccine

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/society/elite-concierge-will-get-clients-first-dibs-covid-vaccine/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cornwall in Tier 1 - yet has a 100-man outbreak at a Bodmin meat processing plant.

Go figure. (Maybe there is a benefit in having only Conservative MPs in your county when it comes to lobbying....)

Should also kill off Mebyon Kernow for good I would have thought, Boris can be PM of Cornwall for life!
    The rate Boris is going, Cornwall may soon be the only Celtic nation left in the UK.
    I doubt it, Boris also won the largest number of Welsh Tory MPs since 1983 last year
    I think you need to try & figure how Welsh Labour may react if Scotland goes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49262565

I think Carwyn Jones is right -- if Scotland goes, the thinking in Welsh Labour will change very quickly.

Why be part of a perpetually Tory-ruled E&W, when Llafur could run Wales on its own pretty much for ever?
    Scotland is not going, given Sturgeon's current haplessness she may even lose her majority next year and even if she does not the Tories will ban indyref2 as long as they are in power.

Even if Scotland did go and Welsh Labour decided to become pro indy it is Welsh Labour that will get obliterated not the Union with England as Unionists in Wales move en masse to the Tories and LDs. Look what happened in Scotland where the Tories are now the main Unionist Party and the SNP the main Nationalist Party, the same would happen in Wales with Labour getting squeezed by Plaid and the Tories.

Wales also voted Leave just like England so even has no grievance over Brexit unlike Scotland and in any case the anti devolution Abolish the Welsh Assembly will likely win their first AMs next year too, it is not Plaid on the rise but anti devolutionists in Wales at least, remember 49% of Welsh voters even voted against having an Assembly in 1997.

Finally of course Wales has been part of the Kingdom of England with a Prince of Wales since the 13th century and officially united with England since the 16th century, Scotland only shared the same crown as England since the 17th century and only united with England in the 18th century with Ireland only joining in the early 19th century which only lasted a century until the creation of the Free State and Northern Ireland in 1921
    My goodness! General Franco lives and breathes...in Epping Forest!
    To be fair, one of the first places you'd look for him!
    Apologising for this morning's communication error, confirming the whole of England is indeed in Tier One.
    Not sure what happened there. Responding to news of Boris' evening presser.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

BBC R4 WATO are really sticking the boot in to post Lockdown tiers. Support from the Labour Mayor of Birmingham and Burnham for the Government. Steve Baker calling Boris' Government "authoritarian". Graham Brady wants Trafford and Stockport dropped down to tier 2. Brady voting against the policy...oh and now an "authoritarian" from Brady too.

Likewise on this board. Only my myself and HYUFD flying the flag for Johnson.

With household mixing banned outside Cornwall and the IOW, looks like the sex ban may extend my thesis in the header.

Mistletoe sales right down...
    Indeed...although pubs closed and nothing on the telly...maybe not?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,383

HYUFD said:

There's a long list of areas in England's top tier of Covid rules, tier three, where many businesses must close.

The areas are as follows:

North East
    ---------
    Tees Valley Combined Authority:
    Hartlepool
    Middlesbrough
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Redcar and Cleveland
    Darlington

North East Combined Authority:
    Sunderland
    South Tyneside
    Gateshead
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    North Tyneside
    County Durham
    Northumberland

North West
    --------
    Greater Manchester
    Lancashire
    Blackpool
    Blackburn with Darwen

Yorkshire and The Humber
    -----------------------
    The Humber
    West Yorkshire
    South Yorkshire

West Midlands
    ------------
    Birmingham and Black Country
    Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent
    Warwickshire, Coventry and Solihull

East Midlands
    -----------
    Derby and Derbyshire
    Nottingham and Nottinghamshire
    Leicester and Leicestershire
    Lincolnshire

South East
    ---------
    Slough (remainder of Berkshire is in tier two)
    Kent and Medway

South West
    ---------
    Bristol
    South Gloucestershire
    North Somerset

And businesses forced to close in all of them will get next to diddly squat in compensation if the following is true:

https://twitter.com/AndyBurnhamGM/status/1331884141223309313
    Now, if only they had voted a raft of Tory MPs like Cornwall.

That'll larn yer.....
    Liverpool will only be in Tier 2 despite only having Labour MPs, Kent has every MP bar 1 Tory, it is in Tier 3
    Tongue was somewhat in cheek.

Still can't see how Cornwall is Tier 1 and South Hams tier 2. If people can't see the rationale, they will just ignore - right across the country. There needs to be constant reassessment and rapid turnaround in these categories built into this system. If things change in a week, the tier should change. Both ways, if it is to have any wide adherence.
    Dear god man I agree with you.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

Scott_xP said:
    People still refusing to understand that it's primarily the growth rate rather than the current level of cases that needs to determine the countermeasures. Waiting a couple more weeks until the case numbers become intolerable makes little economic difference but affects case and death numbers for many weeks after.
    Also only 160 per 100k....back in October wasnt the guideline for moving into tier 2 100 in 100k?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131

HYUFD said:

Plus of course most of South Wales voted for Brexit and the Tories did better in Wales last year than they have done for decades

Err .... not in South Wales. The Tories took Bridgend, which was a good gain for them.

But, in 2015, they held Cardiff N and Gower, which they lost in 2017 and did not retake. Cardiff North is historically a Tory Seat.

The Tories did well in North & Central Wales. They are almost maxed out there.
    Byron Davies blames the Government's failure to support tidal lagoons for his loss of The Gower....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

There's a long list of areas in England's top tier of Covid rules, tier three, where many businesses must close.

North East
    ---------
    Hartlepool
    Middlesbrough
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Redcar and Cleveland
    Darlington

Sunderland
    South Tyneside
    Gateshead
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    North Tyneside
    County Durham
    Northumberland

North West
    --------
    Greater Manchester
    Lancashire
    Blackpool
    Blackburn with Darwen

Yorkshire and The Humber
    -----------------------
    The Humber
    West Yorkshire
    South Yorkshire

West Midlands
    ------------

East Midlands
    -----------
    Derby and Derbyshire
    Lincolnshire

South East
    ---------
    Kent and Medway

South West
    ---------
    Bristol
    South Gloucestershire
    North Somerset

And businesses forced to close in all of them will get next to diddly squat in compensation if the following is true:

That'll larn yer.....
    Liverpool will only be in Tier 2 despite only having Labour MPs, Kent has every MP bar 1 Tory, it is in Tier 3

Still can't see how Cornwall is Tier 1 and South Hams tier 2. If people can't see the rationale, they will just ignore - right across the country. There needs to be constant reassessment and rapid turnaround in these categories built into this system. If things change in a week, the tier should change. Both ways, if it is to have any wide adherence.
    Oi - get yer tanks off my lawn!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,864

HYUFD said:

Plus of course most of South Wales voted for Brexit and the Tories did better in Wales last year than they have done for decades

Err .... not in South Wales. The Tories took Bridgend, which was a good gain for them.

But, in 2015, they held Cardiff N and Gower, which they lost in 2017 and did not retake. Cardiff North is historically a Tory Seat.

Byron Davies blames the Government's failure to support tidal lagoons for his loss of The Gower....
    Is that realistic? Were the locals expecting something like Venice-on-the-Taff or conversely something like the Loughor estuary, only muddier?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited November 2020

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

Not a salient issue though - and many senior Tories agree with Labour. The decision highlights what a low form of life this government amounts to.
    How is looking after the British economy and giving more aid to foreign nations than almost any other G20 nation a "low form of life"?
    Because some people in the very poorest parts of the world will suffer and starve as a consequence.Borrowing is now so massive that continuing with 0.7% of GDP would have made sod all difference.The decision has been made for political reasons rather than economic - and is contradicted by proposed increases in Defence spending. I know you are not a religious person but any professing Christian who supports this decision is an utter hypocrite.
    On a personal basis, it has persuaded me to opt out of ' organ donation'.No way would I want to risk giving body parts to anyone who goes along with this. Pure evil.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

tlg86 said:
    SNP gain Cornwall and the IOW?????
    I saw pro SNP graffiti in my wiltshire location in 2015, they have some appeal.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

North East
    ---------
    Hartlepool
    Middlesbrough
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Redcar and Cleveland
    Darlington

Sunderland
    South Tyneside
    Gateshead
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    North Tyneside
    County Durham
    Northumberland

North West
    --------
    Greater Manchester
    Lancashire
    Blackpool
    Blackburn with Darwen

Yorkshire and The Humber
    -----------------------
    The Humber
    West Yorkshire
    South Yorkshire

West Midlands
    ------------

East Midlands
    -----------
    Derby and Derbyshire
    Lincolnshire

South East
    ---------
    Kent and Medway

South West
    ---------
    Bristol
    South Gloucestershire
    North Somerset

That'll larn yer.....

It'll be our secret that everything you post you have to pre-agree with me.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,298

BBC R4 WATO are really sticking the boot in to post Lockdown tiers. Support from the Labour Mayor of Birmingham and Burnham for the Government. Steve Baker calling Boris' Government "authoritarian". Graham Brady wants Trafford and Stockport dropped down to tier 2. Brady voting against the policy...oh and now an "authoritarian" from Brady too.

Likewise on this board. Only my myself and HYUFD flying the flag for Johnson.

It seems that it's beginning to feel a lot like rather a shambles. But I confess I've slid right off the detail. With a vaccine coming this all seems a bit second order. FWIW, I think we should (voluntarily) cancel Christmas, and as a general point the government should imo continue to support damaged or closed businesses until the Big Restart next Spring.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

A bad decision by HMG, however my floating voter Uncle in Gorseinon told me a few years ago he couldn't wait to vote out Byron Davies. An utterly useless MP, in his opinion.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:
    Oh,. was it in Gaelic? Where was it? Just idly wondering if it was near the base of a Scots regiment ...
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452
    edited November 2020
    'Hancock's former neighbour won Covid test kit work after WhatsApp message'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/26/matt-hancock-former-neighbour-won-covid-test-kit-contract-after-whatsapp-message

For those in the know. Is this how government always worked but now its just more brazen?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Is that realistic? Were the locals expecting something like Venice-on-the-Taff or conversely something like the Loughor estuary, only muddier?
    Was a huge local issue. There was 85% approval for it in the planning process. Labour made hay with it.

Anyway, it is his unshakeable belief. He had to make do with a seat in the Lords as compensation.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

That's a bit over the top given the arbitrary nature of the target and that hardly any nations meet it thus putting most of planet earth in that category of low forms of life.

But I'm glad they are raising it despite it being a popular move even with their own supporters. Shows a bit of principle. But they can hardly claim the public as whole is outraged, but that's ok, it's still a fight to have.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Was a huge local issue. There was 85% approval for it in the planning process. Labour made hay with it.

Anyway, it is his unshakeable belief. He had to make do with a seat in the Lords as compensation.
    Thanks - interesting to know what the locals think of tidal. Not exactloy likely to cause worries about it going poot upwind of them, unlike Hinckley.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:
    Oh,. was it in Gaelic? Where was it? Just idly wondering if it was near the base of a Scots regiment ...
    Wiltshire
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

North East
    ---------
    Hartlepool
    Middlesbrough
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Redcar and Cleveland
    Darlington

Sunderland
    South Tyneside
    Gateshead
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    North Tyneside
    County Durham
    Northumberland

North West
    --------
    Greater Manchester
    Lancashire
    Blackpool
    Blackburn with Darwen

Yorkshire and The Humber
    -----------------------
    The Humber
    West Yorkshire
    South Yorkshire

West Midlands
    ------------

East Midlands
    -----------
    Derby and Derbyshire
    Lincolnshire

South East
    ---------
    Kent and Medway

South West
    ---------
    Bristol
    South Gloucestershire
    North Somerset

That'll larn yer.....

Whereas the REAL secret is that we pre-agree that we have to be in violent disagreement.....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Gaussian said:

Scott_xP said:
    People still refusing to understand that it's primarily the growth rate rather than the current level of cases that needs to determine the countermeasures. Waiting a couple more weeks until the case numbers become intolerable makes little economic difference but affects case and death numbers for many weeks after.
    Yep, but that won't stop idiots arguing that the experts are wrong because of the current level of cases per capita.
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/26/matt-hancock-former-neighbour-won-covid-test-kit-contract-after-whatsapp-message

For those in the know. Is this how government always worked but now its just more brazen?

"Alex Bourne, who used to run a pub close to Hancock’s former constituency home in Suffolk, said he initially offered his services to the UK health secretary several months ago by sending him a personal WhatsApp message... Bourne categorically denies he profited from his personal contact with Hancock."

That's it?!
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:
    I saw an SNP poster up in Oxford while canvassing for the 2017 General Election. It tickled me so much I took a photo.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,743

"Alex Bourne, who used to run a pub close to Hancock’s former constituency home in Suffolk, said he initially offered his services to the UK health secretary several months ago by sending him a personal WhatsApp message... Bourne categorically denies he profited from his personal contact with Hancock."

That's it?!
    Not quite.
    ...Contacted last week by the Guardian, Bourne’s lawyers flatly denied that their client had any discussions with Hancock in relation to Covid-19 supplies.

However, on Monday, after being confronted with further details about his interactions with the health secretary, Bourne backtracked. In a phone call with the Guardian, he conceded that he has in fact exchanged text and email messages with Hancock over several months...
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:
    Ho ho ho and great aunt mable won’t have her sherry
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

North East
    ---------
    Hartlepool
    Middlesbrough
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Redcar and Cleveland
    Darlington

Sunderland
    South Tyneside
    Gateshead
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    North Tyneside
    County Durham
    Northumberland

North West
    --------
    Greater Manchester
    Lancashire
    Blackpool
    Blackburn with Darwen

Yorkshire and The Humber
    -----------------------
    The Humber
    West Yorkshire
    South Yorkshire

West Midlands
    ------------

East Midlands
    -----------
    Derby and Derbyshire
    Lincolnshire

South East
    ---------
    Kent and Medway

South West
    ---------
    Bristol
    South Gloucestershire
    North Somerset

That'll larn yer.....

Whereas the REAL secret is that we pre-agree that we have to be in violent disagreement.....
    If you play your cards right and publish something that Topping agrees with he will sometimes reply with a clear and simple "Great post." Which is a shot in the arm for the recipient.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Thanks - interesting to know what the locals think of tidal. Not exactloy likely to cause worries about it going poot upwind of them, unlike Hinckley.
    Post Covid, the idea that a government can blithely sign up to a process that if it goes tits up would lead to a huge chunk of the country being uninhabitable for decades or centuries to come is unfathomable.

I'd be REALLY interested to know what the doomsday planning scenario shows as the costs for a nuclear accident in the UK. (For a tidal lagoon going tits up, the costs would be close to nothing.)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/society/elite-concierge-will-get-clients-first-dibs-covid-vaccine/

Maybe they are planning to buy doses from dodgy doctors/hospitals in the US that will resell to third parties after getting them from.the federal government. Aiui, there are no vaccine deliveries planned to private companies or individuals until at least April, not from the three current pharma companies that have working vaccines.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,056
    HYUFD said:
    Apart from directive one, those are good general rules to live by at Christmas.

I think directive two could be toughened somewhat to limit numbers in the kitchen to chef only, everyone else GTFO.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

Because some people in the very poorest parts of the world will suffer and starve as a consequence.Borrowing is now so massive that continuing with 0.7% of GDP would have made sod all difference.The decision has been made for political reasons rather than economic - and is contradicted by proposed increases in Defence spending. I know you are not a religious person but any professing Christian who supports this decision is an utter hypocrite.
    On a personal basis, it has persuaded me to opt out of ' organ donation'.No way would I want to risk giving body parts to anyone who goes along with this. Pure evil.
    Oh what petty, preposterous, puritanical poppycock.

Continuing with 0.7% of GDP would make massive economic difference, billions of pounds per year. If you are so far gone economically you think adding billions to the deficit is "sod all" you've learnt nothing from the last few years.

No, the poorest parts won't suffer or starve from our actions - they will be overwhelmingly continue to be recipients of our generosity with us being more generous still than Labour were under Tony Blair. Did you consider Tony Blair's government to be "Pure evil"?

If you wish to give more to charity then do so yourself. They will take you donations.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Sounds like he might be sane and professional. Will make a change.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,957

Totally off topic, but a bit of unadulterated, guilt free joy in these shyte times.

https://twitter.com/YourWullie/status/1331716166239350785?s=20

Do you play guitar? I found a nice new song the other day, and the part from Bsus4 (a new one on me) to Cmaj7, Cmaj7G is my current favourite set of chord changes
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,095
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

Still spending more percentage wise on overseas aid than France, Spain, Ireland, Italy, Canada, Australia and New Zealand and the USA is on no definition 'evil'
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Maybe they are planning to buy doses from dodgy doctors/hospitals in the US that will resell to third parties after getting them from.the federal government. Aiui, there are no vaccine deliveries planned to private companies or individuals until at least April, not from the three current pharma companies that have working vaccines.
    Where there's money, there's always a way.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

Still spending more percentage wise on overseas aid than France, Spain, Ireland, Italy, Canada, Australia and New Zealand and the USA is on no definition 'evil'
    This is an illuminating chart....by Justin's definition, look at all those total heartless bastards like the Canadian's leaving babies to die in Africa year after year after year. I will never buy Maple Syrup ever again in protest.

https://fullfact.org/economy/how-much-money-does-uk-spend-aid-compared-rest-g7/
  • Options
    I see that the Conservative government have been found to have broken equality law in their treatment of many members of the Windrush generation. There'll be some high profile figures losing the whip over this, I would imagine.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,783
  • Options

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson will lead a Downing Street press conference this evening.

Can they ask Boris if there is anything he wants to watch on television before they need to schedule it again this time around?
    Looking forward to a new series of ludicrous and statistically dodgy graphs this evening.
  • Options
    isam said:

Totally off topic, but a bit of unadulterated, guilt free joy in these shyte times.

Do you play guitar? I found a nice new song the other day, and the part from Bsus4 (a new one on me) to Cmaj7, Cmaj7G is my current favourite set of chord changes
    Apart from an ill advised garage band phase at school, no! Happy consumer of the sound though.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

MaxPB said:

The issue for the Moderna vaccine is that it needs to be stored in a more than normally cold fridge, it's not like AZ which can just been kept in a coolbox on a normal flight. They would need a special flight to import it to the UK and trained people to get it into the country without destroying it. It's why the grey market solution for Pfizer is almost impossible and pretty tough for Moderna. Logistically I'm not sure how this will be facilitated without the cooperation of the manufacturer and that means waiting until April at least. I know that movie studios in the US are talking to the federal government for first quarter prioritisation, saying that Hollywood exports are such a huge part of US culture that they should get priority access.
  • Options

justin124 said:

I mean, who cares?
    There is one about a Spanish 5 a side team and the Premier League on twitter that takes some beating, as well as an argument over a players age that is mind numbing
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

This is an illuminating chart....by Justin's definition, look at all those total heartless bastards like the Canadian's leaving babies to die in Africa year after year after year. I will never buy Maple Syrup ever again in protest.

I'm old enough to remember when PB Tories used to boast about soft power and UK foreign aid.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

Tim Hortons' Timbits must be the work of Beelzebub.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656

Big mistake IMO

Still being the North London Brie-Eater Handwringers Party.
  • Options

isam said:

Apart from an ill advised garage band phase at school, no! Happy consumer of the sound though.
    I forgot to post the chords! Anyone who plays an instrument and hasn't heard the song, I think you will enjoy having a go at them. Beautiful I think

I cant play the guitar either, but have been practisng for 25 years!

• Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:
    Wiltshire
    Wasnt trying to be a smart arse by the way, I just hadn't noticed I'd already listed the county.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

I'm old enough to remember when PB Tories used to boast about soft power and UK foreign aid.
    There's been a pandemic in case you missed it.

Cold hard economics trumps soft power.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The issue for the Moderna vaccine is that it needs to be stored in a more than normally cold fridge, it's not like AZ which can just been kept in a coolbox on a normal flight. They would need a special flight to import it to the UK and trained people to get it into the country without destroying it. It's why the grey market solution for Pfizer is almost impossible and pretty tough for Moderna. Logistically I'm not sure how this will be facilitated without the cooperation of the manufacturer and that means waiting until April at least. I know that movie studios in the US are talking to the federal government for first quarter prioritisation, saying that Hollywood exports are such a huge part of US culture that they should get priority access.
    Rich people will fly themselves the where ever is required to get the vaccine.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

Lol - I'm surprised you didn't opt out earlier, what with the risk of your organs going to bastards and all...
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    That liberal progressive hero in Canada is a right baby killing bastard...

Under the Conservatives (2006-2015), Canada’s official development assistance (ODA) averaged 0.30% of gross national income (GNI), the standard measure used to compare aid levels. When the Liberals were first elected in 2015, ODA stood at 0.28% of GNI, a ratio that the Trudeau government has never surpassed. In fact, in 2019, that figure fell to 0.27%, down from 0.28% the previous year.

https://www.cips-cepi.ca/2020/04/20/foreign-aid-flows-the-canadian-government-is-still-not-stepping-up-to-the-plate/
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited November 2020

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

Continuing with 0.7% of GDP would make massive economic difference, billions of pounds per year. If you are so far gone economically you think adding billions to the deficit is "sod all" you've learnt nothing from the last few years.

No, the poorest parts won't suffer or starve from our actions - they will be overwhelmingly continue to be recipients of our generosity with us being more generous still than Labour were under Tony Blair. Did you consider Tony Blair's government to be "Pure evil"?

If you wish to give more to charity then do so yourself. They will take you donations.
    I respect David Cameron more than you over this.
    Even if it is not popular with the charity begins at home brigade.
    Sometimes a country doing which is helpful for the poor of the world , sends a moral signal.
    Britain has in my opinion diminished its standing.

• Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:
    Wiltshire
    Wasnt trying to be a smart arse by the way, I just hadn't noticed I'd already listed the county.
    Not at all - in fact I thought I was the one at fault, by asking too probing a personal question! So I was quite happy with that reply!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2020
    Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

Sometimes a country doing which is helpful for the poor of the world , sends a moral signal.
    Britain has in my opinion has diminished its standing.

If David Cameron has a way to pay for it I'm all ears. The Exchequer does not.

If you want to send a moral signal then donate to charity. Mortgaging my children's and future grandchildren's future is not moral.

Especially when you're ignoring the fact that we're still giving more than Canada, France, the USA etc
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

Well in terms of soft power, the UK government has massively backed vaccine development (I believe per capita one of the largest supporters of the efforts) and via Oxford has produced a working vaccine, which will be dirt cheap and provided to developing countries at cost. The other two vaccines are an order of magnitude more expensive and being sold for profit.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    It's worth remembering that Justin is not a "liberal" or a "progressive". He calls people who have sex outside of wedlock "fornicators", for example.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    It's almost as if Johnson has realised what a colossal f-up Cummings has been.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

If this government can find the funds for additional defence spending, it has no justification for cutting back on aid to the poorest and most desperate in this world.
    As for Blair, I have long considered him evil re-his Iraq aggression policy - indeed a war criminal.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

One less thing to boast about tho'.
    Still, there's always the $16b on hard power to cling onto, and trebles all round at the defence contractors.

• Options

Showed that to the Good Lady Wifi.

Her reply? "Excellent. When I was I was in Abbey Road, they let me play John Lennon's piano. And also brought out his red neon light he had on when he played it...."

• Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

I suspect that the Archbishop of Canterbury's views are close to my own.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

One less thing to boast about tho'.
    Still, there's always the $16b on hard power to cling onto, and trebles all round at the defence contractors.

Was not much of that aid money tied to UK companies anyway in terms of spending it?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

So if the UK giving 0.5% of GNI is "pure evil" what do you consider of the rest of the G20?

What terminology do you have for Trudeau giving 0.26% of GNI?
  • Options
    Flawed mathematical modelling....where have we heard that one before?

The 0.7% aid target was based on flawed modelling

https://iea.org.uk/the-0-7-aid-target-was-based-on-flawed-modelling/
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

They are, as are Cameron and Blair's, the public's are not

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1331650556566368258?s=20
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

It's worth remembering that Justin is not a "liberal" or a "progressive". He calls people who have sex outside of wedlock "fornicators", for example.

No, he just hates the Tories. You don't hear much complaint about Labour's record on this issue which is abysmal.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Yes, my views on the Union for instance and the Church are generally closer to Justin's than Philip's (though I am still more socially liberal on sexuality than Justin), we must remember there is the social conservative liberal divide as much as the left right economic divide and in the 21st century the former is increasingly more important than the latter, whereas in the 20th century the latter was more important
  • Options

That liberal progressive hero in Canada is a right baby killing bastard...

Under the Conservatives (2006-2015), Canada’s official development assistance (ODA) averaged 0.30% of gross national income (GNI), the standard measure used to compare aid levels. When the Liberals were first elected in 2015, ODA stood at 0.28% of GNI, a ratio that the Trudeau government has never surpassed. In fact, in 2019, that figure fell to 0.27%, down from 0.28% the previous year.

https://www.cips-cepi.ca/2020/04/20/foreign-aid-flows-the-canadian-government-is-still-not-stepping-up-to-the-plate/

Well he does support FPTP after all.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    The idea of an "Asymptomatic Student" has made me think what the symptoms would be to make you concerned that you might have caught Studentitis:

- Can't get out of bed in the morning
    - Can't hold your drink (sometimes literally)
    - Annoy your neighbours

If you exhibit all three of these symptoms, report immediately to your nearest Student Union bar and order a pint of Purple Nasty.
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,314

justin124 said:

I mean, who cares?
    It might be of more relevance as a very rare instance of a policy that the government has seen through to the end? Such a shame they held off from abandoning or changing or amending or supplementing it for such a long time, then failed on the very last day.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

It's not surprising that Brexiters lap it up.

They don't realise it says: "we have been defeated by this virus; we are no longer able to stick to our charitable principles."

Why Brexit? Because certainly on here (unrepresentative sample consisting of all-day posters) they all describe how being in the EU was akin to being under the oppressive yoke of a foreign power rather than a member of a trading organisation, albeit one where some members wanted to pool more sovereignty than we did.

They truly believe that we were ruled from Brussels.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I forgot to post the chords! Anyone who plays an instrument and hasn't heard the song, I think you will enjoy having a go at them. Beautiful I think

I cant play the guitar either, but have been practisng for 25 years!

It is good.

First comment under it on Youtube cheered me up no end.

'Brian Wilson wrote this instead of committing suicide. Saved my life too.'
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    I love the logic. Rates still rising under tight restrictions, so what we need are slacker restrictions.
  • Options
    RobD said:

No, he just hates the Tories. You don't hear much complaint about Labour's record on this issue which is abysmal.
    Happy to start calling BJ "fornicator" if people are bored with "shagger"
  • Options

RobD said:

Happy to start calling BJ "fornicator" if people are bored with "shagger"
    Both are equally tedious (despite being accurate).
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    If you live in Wales, make sure you have got your oven gloves purchased for that Christmas roast....as fire breaking short circuiting the sequel could be required shortly...

Latest statistics released by Public Health Wales (PHW) on Thursday show 1,251 new confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Wales

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-cases-infections-deaths-wales-19351059#source=breaking-news
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yorkcity said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Big mistake IMO

It's not surprising that Brexiters lap it up.

They don't realise it says: "we have been defeated by this virus; we are no longer able to stick to our charitable principles."

Why Brexit? Because certainly on here (unrepresentative sample consisting of all-day posters) they all describe how being in the EU was akin to being under the oppressive yoke of a foreign power rather than a member of a trading organisation, albeit one where some members wanted to pool more sovereignty than we did.

They truly believe that we were ruled from Brussels.
    I do realise it says that and it is entirely right. We have been hit by this virus and we are no longer able to afford that charity. Not denying either!

Anyone who thinks we've not been hit hard by the virus or can continue to afford this charity is frankly living in denial.

Personally I never said and don't believe we were under the oppressive yoke of a foreign power. Nor were we in a mere trading organisation, not since Maastricht at least. We were in a hybrid nascent federation.
This discussion has been closed.