Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters still betting on Trump even though his legal and other efforts to stay have floundered – pol

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    Morning all. Not having been been here since mid morning yesterday; @ydoethur how's did the test go?

Personallty, as far the general situation is concerned, Mrs C and I still expect to stay with the plans we've got. We did get some good news about the possibility of going to Thailand, though!
  • Options
    felix said:

Not getting the outrage for or against the Xmas plans for slight relaxation. The plan is agreed by all 4 governments is quite limited in scope whilst providing some much needed practical help for many retailers who depend on Xmas sales. No doubt there will be some degree of uptick in cases but for me it represents a sensible compromise for those keen to see a few extra family members. Worth remembering too that it's an apporoach likely to be mirrored throughout Europe. Finally just because it's allowed it is not compulsory. I'm sure that many lkike myself will still have a more limited home Xmas for two - and enjoy it as a welcome change!

It matters because Christmas is only a month away and people need to make plans. Retailers need to guess what those plans will be. Your Christmas for two, extrapolated round the country, means less demand for turkeys and more for chickens, for instance. No need for that box of a dozen Christmas crackers. Probably more watching television, especially Netflix and other streaming services. And so on.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314

Morning all. Not having been been here since mid morning yesterday; @ydoethur how's did the test go?

Personallty, as far the general situation is concerned, Mrs C and I still expect to stay with the plans we've got. We did get some good news about the possibility of going to Thailand, though!

It was vile, thank you for asking. I very much hope I never have to have another.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Personally, as far the general situation is concerned, Mrs C and I still expect to stay with the plans we've got. We did get some good news about the possibility of going to Thailand, though!

It was vile, thank you for asking. I very much hope I never have to have another.
    It's very unpleasant, isn't it. I fear they are going to be a fact of life for a while, though. When do you expect the result? Take it you are 'working from home' today.

Granddaughter-in-law, who teaches A level students (as well as younger ones) says she doesn't get the same interaction as face-to-face in a classroom.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

Not getting the outrage for or against the Xmas plans for slight relaxation. The plan is agreed by all 4 governments is quite limited in scope whilst providing some much needed practical help for many retailers who depend on Xmas sales. No doubt there will be some degree of uptick in cases but for me it represents a sensible compromise for those keen to see a few extra family members. Worth remembering too that it's an apporoach likely to be mirrored throughout Europe. Finally just because it's allowed it is not compulsory. I'm sure that many lkike myself will still have a more limited home Xmas for two - and enjoy it as a welcome change!

It matters because Christmas is only a month away and people need to make plans. Retailers need to guess what those plans will be. Your Christmas for two, extrapolated round the country, means less demand for turkeys and more for chickens, for instance. No need for that box of a dozen Christmas crackers. Probably more watching television, especially Netflix and other streaming services. And so on.
    The plans are pretty well public already. I never said it didn't matter. Still cannot see why anyone is getting in a state about it, for or against.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Personally, as far the general situation is concerned, Mrs C and I still expect to stay with the plans we've got. We did get some good news about the possibility of going to Thailand, though!

It's very unpleasant, isn't it. I fear they are going to be a fact of life for a while, though. When do you expect the result? Take it you are 'working from home' today.

Granddaughter-in-law, who teaches A level students (as well as younger ones) says she doesn't get the same interaction as face-to-face in a classroom.
    They said 3-5 days, probably 48 hours. There is of course usually a backlog after the weekend and mine was late on a Sunday. So I’m hoping/assuming it’s tomorrow.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

They said 3-5 days, probably 48 hours. There is of course usually a backlog after the weekend and mine was late on a Sunday. So I’m hoping/assuming it’s tomorrow.
    Best of luck!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Best of luck!
    I will say, to echo @Foxy, it wasn’t difficult to book. It took five minutes on the net to get an appointment half a mile from where I live at Cannock Civic Centre (next closest was in Stafford) and they ran a very slick operation. Everyone there knew exactly what they were doing, and when to do it, and they were also very patient, polite and friendly even though it must be a horrible job. Serious respect to this system.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Oxford vaccine “70% effective”. We’re screwed.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    I totally agree with Mike.

Betfair's behaviour has been unethical and poor. And if anyone says, 'that's capitalism' yep well so is selling snake oil but that doesn't make it right.
  • Options
    How come Sky News are reporting it as up to 90% effective?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Because apparently if you give half a dose, followed by a full dose later, its efficacy improves.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Because apparently if you give half a dose, followed by a full dose later, its efficacy improves.
    It would appear to be a no brainer if that is the case. Presumable makes it even cheaper.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    felix said:

ydoethur said:

It would appear to be a no brainer if that is the case. Presumable makes it even cheaper.
    No, more expensive, because it was designed as single shot. It would still be far cheaper and easier to administer overall though.
  • Options
    Morning all! Glad to see that the Tories are Determined to kill Granny for Christmas. Ho Ho Ho!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723
    ydoethur said:

Yes, makes your eyes water!

• Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

It would appear to be a no brainer if that is the case. Presumably makes it even cheaper.
    No, more expensive, because it was designed as single shot. It would still be far cheaper and easier to administer overall though.
    The BBC report refers to 70% based on 2 doses and 90% on 1/2 dose followed by 2 but yes, whatever.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Pfizer = iPhone
    Oxford = Android
  • Options

Morning all! Glad to see that the Tories are Determined to kill Granny for Christmas. Ho Ho Ho!

And Labour in Wales, Unionists/SF in NI and the SNP in Scotland. Idiot.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    edited November 2020
    Oxford vaccine 70% effective, apparently. A little disappointing after the 90%+ but it is surely enough to collapse the R rate?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
  • Options
    felix said:

Dear me. Who is the government of the United Kingdom? Feeding their idiot savants in the press CHRISTMAS IS SAVED! So its ok to have Johnny come home from university and have 5 days of festive frolics with Mum, Dad, Granny, Aunt Flo and Uncle Fester. And then 5 days of funerals in January to bury half of them.

And for what? A "shopping binge"? To keep Wetherspoons going?

As I said yesterday. Corrupt, Inept, Arrogant, Hypocritical. The worst government we have ever had and at the worst possible time.
  • Options
    Chris said:
    As so often these days in this case the better news lies in the detail with the more devilish headline.
  • Options
    I'm not a scientist but I do rather like the idea of the two RMA vaccines as opposed to the Oxford Astra-Zeneca one which more traditionally uses a live virus.
  • Options
    Chris said:
    That's interesting in that the efficacy of the vaccine can be tweaked significantly by the methodology used getting effectiveness from 60 odd per cent up to the 90. It may be that the same can be done with the Oxford vaccine.
  • Options
    felix said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

It would appear to be a no brainer if that is the case. Presumably makes it even cheaper.
    The BBC report refers to 70% based on 2 doses and 90% on 1/2 dose followed by 2 but yes, whatever.
    Isn't it 1/2 followed by 1?
  • Options

felix said:

Dear me. Who is the government of the United Kingdom? Feeding their idiot savants in the press CHRISTMAS IS SAVED! So its ok to have Johnny come home from university and have 5 days of festive frolics with Mum, Dad, Granny, Aunt Flo and Uncle Fester. And then 5 days of funerals in January to bury half of them.

As I said yesterday. Corrupt, Inept, Arrogant, Hypocritical. The worst government we have ever had and at the worst possible time.
    I presume you believe that Sturgeon, Philips, Drakeford have been forced into this by Johnson. In whci case my initial assessment was spot on. Are you expecting Starmer to oppose this?
  • Options
    The problem is the headline. If you’ve got one vaccine headlined as “70% effective” and one as “95% effective” then individuals are going to demand the latter. And get very angry when told they can’t have it. Doesn’t matter what the detail says.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Pfizer = iPhone
    Oxford = Android
    The detail suggests they will all be much of a muchness in reality - of course we can expect some to want the kudos of the I-Phone option.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    alex_ said:

The problem is the headline. If you’ve got one vaccine headlined as “70% effective” and one as “95% effective” then individuals are going to demand the latter. And get very angry when told they can’t have it. Doesn’t matter what the detail says.

Someone is going to make a killing offering private jabs of the Pfizer vaccine to the worries wealthy.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    The Oxford vaccine’s 70% effectiveness comes in poorly compared to Pfizer and Moderna
  • Options

felix said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Yes which is the same way that the Astra Zenaca vaccine is boosted. I think the BBC headline might be a tad misleading.
  • Options

felix said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Oops yes - meant to say second a month later!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The Oxford vaccine’s 70% effectiveness comes in poorly compared to Pfizer and Moderna

Not interested in the detail - quel surprise.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Chris said:
    That's interesting in that the efficacy of the vaccine can be tweaked significantly by the methodology used getting effectiveness from 60 odd per cent up to the 90. It may be that the same can be done with the Oxford vaccine.
    This is the Oxford vaccine
  • Options
    DavidL said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Yes which is the same way that the Astra Zenaca vaccine is boosted. I think the BBC headline might be a tad misleading.
    Er, Astra Zeneca IS “the Oxford vaccine”
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

But 3 months ago we would have been absolutely delighted with this result. A classic case of anchoring thanks to Pfizer announcing their results first.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

DavidL said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Sorry, getting confused by the 2 different sources. Not enough coffee yet.
  • Options
    So Boris backed the dud?

Okay, that's a bit unfair. Even 70% wouldn't be too bad and up to 90% is very decent but there will always now be the lingering doubt that there's a much better version out there which is 95% effective. And it doesn't use a live virus to boot.
  • Options

I can't even telephone my GP at the best of times. What makes people think GPs will be able to handle demand for the C-19 vaccine? Some people aren't even registered with a GP.

Will it be done centrally? If so, isn't that a different system to the flu vaccine one?

You don't book a covid test by phoning your GP....and we do 350k a day of those now. And we managed to get millions of food boxes out to oldies every week in the spring with no fuss, simple letter and there was a website if you needed to make changes. And there was the odd claim of somebody missing out, but the vast vast majority of were catered for. That was based upon government records and supplemented by GPs telling the government about vulnerable people who were missed.

I am not saying it will all go smoothly, but it shouldn't be impossible if well organized and not everything the government has done during COVID has been a shit show.
    We just need to hope that whoever gets to manage it is not a school or university chum of the great white clown, I guess.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

I presume you believe that Sturgeon, Philips, Drakeford have been forced into this by Johnson. In whci case my initial assessment was spot on. Are you expecting Starmer to oppose this?
    "Forced" isn't the right word. The devolved administrations have been able to flex the UK approach and set out their own messaging - but this is built on the UK platform which has been chaotic, contradictory and self-defeating. Short of Sturgeon coming and and saying what needs saying - that Westminster haven't a fucking clue what they are doing please ignore them - its difficult to completely change the narrative.

We have one government. And a growing pile of corpses. A bit like with Biden in the US what Starmer says/thinks isn't going to change things when the government rule by edict. Remember the 5 point scale which Shagger managed to put us initially at 3.5 on? Remember the 3 point scale which wasn't strong enough and ended up with regional variations and haggling? Now we apparently have another 3 point scale but different to the last 3 point scale but don't worry because He has Saved Christmas so that you can finally kill your parents.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

But 3 months ago we would have been absolutely delighted with this result. A classic case of anchoring thanks to Pfizer announcing their results first.
    And also wrong thanks to poor headline reporting - even from the BBC.

And by the way we won't truly know the full efficacy of any of these for some time - although we now stand a very good chance of bringing this under control.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030
    felix said:

felix said:

they would have little choice if Bozo was going ahead in any case
  • Options

felix said:

felix said:

"Forced" isn't the right word. The devolved administrations have been able to flex the UK approach and set out their own messaging - but this is built on the UK platform which has been chaotic, contradictory and self-defeating. Short of Sturgeon coming and and saying what needs saying - that Westminster haven't a fucking clue what they are doing please ignore them - its difficult to completely change the narrative.

We have one government. And a growing pile of corpses. A bit like with Biden in the US what Starmer says/thinks isn't going to change things when the government rule by edict. Remember the 5 point scale which Shagger managed to put us initially at 3.5 on? Remember the 3 point scale which wasn't strong enough and ended up with regional variations and haggling? Now we apparently have another 3 point scale but different to the last 3 point scale but don't worry because He has Saved Christmas so that you can finally kill your parents.
    You're so ott with your prejudices and hate that it's quite pointless to say any more - as others have already made clear this morning.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2020
    ydoethur said:

Are you talking about a covid test or a colonoscopy? Get a grip!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

In the hand egg, due to no crowd, it has let them have centred the mics on the QB during the action and it is fascinating just how much they talk.

Been some fantastic skills and tight, tight results recently. Redzone is the only must-watch thing on TV. For seven hours.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

they would have little choice if Bozo was going ahead in any case
    Didn't realise Sturgeon was such a patsy. Oh dear.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708
    ydoethur said:

What did they do to you ?
    I found it only mildly uncomfortable.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Any indication on when the Oxford vaccine will be approved for use?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    alex_ said:

I thought the worry was that people won't have a vaccine at all...
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Lol. Her conspiracy theories are too much even for the other Trump lawyers to associate with.

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1330640804004638721

Never part of the Trump team - oh no!

Oh...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1327811527123103746?s=20
    The story seems to be that the GOP leadership has finally been moved to act after she began promoting a conspiracy theory that the Governor of Georgia was bribed to nobble the Dominion voting machines in his state ... and that this had the knock on effect of ensuring that Loeffler finished ahead of Doug Collins in the special Senate race. In other words Kemp fixed the machines to ensure that one Republican candidate beat the other (the one more favoured by the conspiracy crew). This has then led to a growing campaign on Parler (the new favoured social media site) to boycott the run off election because it's all fixed.

And the GOP have woken up to the fact that there is an enormous chance that it could cost them the Senate.

The extra funny thing is, that now that Powell has been sacked by Trump, it has simply reinforced the conspiracy theorists. They're siding with Powell over Trump.
    Idiocy has consequences. It would be REALLY funny if Republicans lost both Georgia seats because of this.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    DavidL said:

felix said:

felix said:

We can only hope that once Covid is out of the way these new techniques can develop a vaccine for anti-Brexit obsession. The misery this sad condition causes untreated is being seriously underestimated.
    The anti-vaxers will never take it.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    As I predicted at the start of the lockdown, it was nothing to do with the increasing cases, it was to allow them to announce the vaccine results when the pubs were shut.
  • Options

Any indication on when the Oxford vaccine will be approved for use?

Cambridge will be the last to get it
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,734
    Scott_xP said:
    Yeah - great to wake up to some good news!
  • Options
    James Gallagher's lead for the BBC is really quite odd:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635

He is massively playing down the 'up to 90%' part of the press release and going with the '70%'. This sentence is really quite peculiar:

'There is also intriguing data that suggests perfecting the dose could increase protection up to 90%.'
  • Options
    DavidL said:

alex_ said:

DavidL said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Perhaps the answer is to mix the three vaccines to get an efficacy close to 100%.

(I am not a scientist.)
  • Options

As I predicted at the start of the lockdown, it was nothing to do with the increasing cases, it was to allow them to announce the vaccine results when the pubs were shut.

Yes you did say this and it clearly has absolutely nothing WHATSOEVER to do with vaccine announcements. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

You actually said it was so as to make space for administering the vaccine which is clearly preposterous.

The lockdown was to slow the spread of the virus. Amazing. But true.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Based on the information in the press release, I think the 30 vaccine versus 101 placebo has to break down in the different dosing regimens to:
    2 full doses: 27 versus 71
    half dose + full dose: 3 versus 30
    (or something very close to that)

The statistics aren't conclusive that it's a real difference, but there doesn't look to be much of an overlap between the two confidence intervals that these numbers produce. The second regimen is giving results quite similar to those for the Russian vaccine, which works on a similar principle. The first regimen is giving results that look fairly clearly inferior to the Russian vaccine (no overlap of confidence intervals).

With the vector vaccines, it has been suggested that a booster dose may be compromised by the immune response to the vector from the first dose. The Russian vaccine uses different vectors for the two doses.
  • Options

DavidL said:

felix said:

felix said:

We can only hope that once Covid is out of the way these new techniques can develop a vaccine for anti-Brexit obsession. The misery this sad condition causes untreated is being seriously underestimated.
    The anti-vaxers will never take it.
    The herd immunity effect from the vaccinated majority coupled with slower infection among the unvaccinated remainder surely means that the NHS can cope with their choice? Especially as media coverage of the inevitable infection cases amongst some of the leading/celebrity refuseniks will surely dissuade any waverers.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723
    Roger said:

ydoethur said:

I wouldn't fancy a colonoscopy twice a week!
  • Options
    Am I the only one here who is going to do everything to get the Pfizer vax?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It gets easier each time. I've had about seven tests now, and it's like brushing your teeth after that many.
  • Options
    On R4 the head of the Jenner Lab suggested that the 1/2 dose first, full dose second might be more effective because the immune system was “primed” before the second dose. Even at the average 70% effectiveness that’s better than the flu jab. Additionally none of the vaccinated developed serious illnesses. 3billion doses available globally in 2021. Not as sexy headlines as Pfizer/Moderna but possibly more effective given distribution challenges.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005

So Boris backed the dud?

Okay, that's a bit unfair. Even 70% wouldn't be too bad and up to 90% is very decent but there will always now be the lingering doubt that there's a much better version out there which is 95% effective. And it doesn't use a live virus to boot.

Nope - All of them are probably as effective as each other - Oxford are just giving you results that show you what the real world vaccination success rate will be after people screw up doing them correctly.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

ydoethur said:

It gets easier each time. I've had about seven tests now, and it's like brushing your teeth after that many.
    ? Why have you had seven tests? Your occupation?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

felix said:

felix said:

I think they're working on it. It's called Remove the Racist Gene. They're doing trials in Stoke -on-Trent and Hartlepool.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Hopefully you'll get your (negative) result as quickly as you got your appointment. My test was home collected on a Saturday morning and I had the result by email Monday lunchtime. So tomorrow looks probable.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

DavidL said:

alex_ said:

DavidL said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

Perhaps the answer is to mix the three vaccines to get an efficacy close to 100%.

(I am not a scientist.)
    Well it works with alcohol.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    DavidL said:

felix said:

felix said:

When you make it second-order, you are losing. Unless you think that what was really wrong with the Titanic was that the ship's doctors had inadequate training in the treatment of Iceberg Resentment Disorder.
  • Options
    If it wasn't for the far right feeding us years' worth of lies about Christmas being banned, there wouldn't be as much political pressure to give the green light to infecting granny next month.

These fringe movements, and their lies, have real world consequences.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

On R4 the head of the Jenner Lab suggested that the 1/2 dose first, full dose second might be more effective because the immune system was “primed” before the second dose. Even at the average 70% effectiveness that’s better than the flu jab. Additionally none of the vaccinated developed serious illnesses. 3billion doses available globally in 2021. Not as sexy headlines as Pfizer/Moderna but possibly more effective given distribution challenges.

Perhaps we can spend some of the overseas aid budget on it...
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

ydoethur said:

I'm taking part in the ONS study. I've had one genuine test when I was feeling ill over the summer.
    Negative, mercifully.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2020
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

felix said:

felix said:

I think they're working on it. It's called Remove the Racist Gene. They're doing trials in Stoke -on-Trent and Hartlepool.
    I was thinking something similar - a vaccine to cure political extremism. But it should work on both sides @Roger :open_mouth: Would you take it?

:D:D
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Stocky said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

ydoethur said:

I'm taking part in the ONS study. I've had one genuine test when I was feeling ill over the summer.
    Negative, mercifully.
    Did you volunteer for the study or were you approached? I`d have volunteered if I knew how.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

So Boris backed the dud?

Here we go. You beat me to it.

Fast forward six months and there will be news of people getting the vaccine but still contracting the virus and Starmer will be criticising the government for injecting us with the wrong stuff.

FFS - this is great news this morning.
    It is. But I'm still going to try and get the best.

The real trouble will come if some countries permit visa entry with Pfizer and Moderna but not Astra-Zeneca.

I'm being a bit unfair. 'Up to 90%' wouldn't be too bad. It's just that the others got in there before with a more gold star bit of media massage.

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Chris said:
    Arithmetically, I make it that the numbers were probably pretty close to:

half dose/full dose/4 weeks regimen: 30 in placebo (unknown amount serious); 3 in vaccine (none serious)
    full dose/full dose/2 weeks regimen: 71 in placebo (unknown amount serious); 27 in vaccine (none serious)

The number of cases in the halfdose/full dose/4 weeks regimen is smaller, but comparable to the initial plans for the first interim Pfizer analysis. They do say it's "indications" and indeed the statistical fuzziness is wider, but there are enough cases to be very sure that it's a better outcome than the full dose/full dose regimen. Essentially, it means it's very probably in the 80%-97% range with this dose strategy, I’d guess (real mathematicians please check and refine this guesstimate)
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Stocky said:

So Boris backed the dud?

Here we go. You beat me to it.

Fast forward six months and there will be news of people getting the vaccine but still contracting the virus and Starmer will be criticising the government for injecting us with the wrong stuff.

FFS - this is great news this morning.
    It is. But I'm still going to try and get the best.

The real trouble will come if some countries permit visa entry with Pfizer and Moderna but not Astra-Zeneca.

I'm being a bit unfair. 'Up to 90%' wouldn't be too bad. It's just that the others got in there before with a more gold star bit of media massage.

One thing that puzzles me - I think Pfizer is is waiting for regulatory approval in the US. Could any delays stop other countries obtaining the Pfizer vaccine?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Yes you did say this and it clearly has absolutely nothing WHATSOEVER to do with vaccine announcements. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

You actually said it was so as to make space for administering the vaccine which is clearly preposterous.

As I reported at the time a chap from Porton Down had told me that the Government were going to do this. We went from Raab on the Friday saying we must give time for the tiered approach to work to a full lockdown being annouced on the Saturday. Now the Government are saying that the lockdown will definitely end on the 2nd December and this is before any affect of the lockdown being in the figures. And you think these changes are nothing to do with the Vaccine annoucements?

• Options
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

You're so ott with your prejudices and hate that it's quite pointless to say any more - as others have already made clear this morning.
    I'll take your opinion under advisement. OTT?
    There was a 5 point scale. Which he put at 3.5 on. Widely ridiculed on here at the time
    There was a 3 point scale. Not enough said Whitty, hence the need for a "lockdown"
    There was regional variation. And haggling. And Tory MPs saying "no money" for their Greater Manchester seats only to be torpedoed by Downing Street finding the money days later
    There is a pile of 55,000 corpses. And thats only the official number
    There is a major worry by the scientists that the unlockdown for Christmas will kill people by the thousand.

But as you say, I am completely over the top in my hate for a government who has presided over this whilst comparable countries get by reasonably unscathed.
  • Options
    Chris said:

With the vector vaccines, it has been suggested that a booster dose may be compromised by the immune response to the vector from the first dose.

So with Pfizer and Moderna you only need 1 dose? Confused.
  • Options
    felix said:

IanB2 said:

And also wrong thanks to poor headline reporting - even from the BBC.

And by the way we won't truly know the full efficacy of any of these for some time - although we now stand a very good chance of bringing this under control.
    Nor, TBH, will we know the side-effects. I know there are few so far, but I suggest that when one rolls something like this over populations of 50million or so unusual side effects will occur.
    Wikipedia says that side effects can be categorised as follows:
    The probability or chance of experiencing side effects are characterised as :
    Very common, ≥ 1⁄10
    Common (frequent), 1⁄100 to 1⁄10
    Uncommon (infrequent), 1⁄1000 to 1⁄100
    Rare, 1⁄10000 to 1⁄1000
    Very rare, < 1⁄10000
  • Options
    There is a larger Phase III trial of the AstraZeneca vaccine in progress in the USA. As far as I can see, it is using two full doses. But it may make it clearer that there is a real difference between the two regimens.

From the press release, it seems they are going to go for the regimen that produced the better results. It looks as though there's very little to lose by doing that, and potentially quite a lot to gain.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

ydoethur said:

I wouldn't fancy a colonoscopy twice a week!
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I'm on the Oxford test so once a week for four weeks then once a month for a year. It's easier than watching Spurs
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Perhaps we can spend some of the overseas aid budget on it...
    What overseas aid budget? It is being raided so we can be distracted to cheer the military whilst forgetting to look the other way where the chumocracy is stuffing its pockets with our cash.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Stocky said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

ydoethur said:

Negative, mercifully.
    Did you volunteer for the study or were you approached? I`d have volunteered if I knew how.
    I got a letter out of the blue inviting me.
    After spending the spring frustrated with the government for not performing as much random sampling as it could manage (rather than just testing people who were suspected of being ill), I couldn't very well say no.

It's pretty easy. Someone comes to your door and asks you a bunch of questions about how many people you've had contact with over the past week, whether you wear a mask, whether you've had symptoms. Then you get a swab kit, which you go and use on yourself, and you hand it back and you're done.

In the early days they said you'd only be notified if you tested positive, but then they started sending letters with your test results anyway, negative each time for me.

You also get rewarded with vouchers, I must be up to £175 worth by now, which is nice but not why I did it.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    alex_ said:

Oxford vaccine “70% effective”. We’re screwed.

That’s a blended result of two cohorts

One dose (presumably higher) was “almost 90%”. The other was much lower.

Not as efficacious but can also be transported and stored much easier than PFE. It will have a place in the market - perhaps for lower risk patients
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Chris said:

With the vector vaccines, it has been suggested that a booster dose may be compromised by the immune response to the vector from the first dose.

So with Pfizer and Moderna you only need 1 dose? Confused.
    No, you need two doses. But for those vaccines I don't think there's any concern that the second may be compromised by the first, because they don't use a vector.
  • Options

As I reported at the time a chap from Porton Down had told me that the Government were going to do this. We went from Raab on the Friday saying we must give time for the tiered approach to work to a full lockdown being annouced on the Saturday. Now the Government are saying that the lockdown will definitely end on the 2nd December and this is before any affect of the lockdown being in the figures. And you think these changes are nothing to do with the Vaccine annoucements?

Yes I'm certain it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Why would it? There's isn't a single scrap of logic as to why it should make the blindest bit of difference. Contra what you said, it's not like they're about to rush out tomorrow to jab people in the arm. In fact if anything the vaccination programme will only begin once lockdown has ended!!!

This is precisely how conspiracy theories take hold. Two apparently random events are connected by someone without any logic or evidence and then others latch onto it.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

The primer/booster concept is common in vaccination strategy. But less good than a single shot obviously
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

If it wasn't for the far right feeding us years' worth of lies about Christmas being banned, there wouldn't be as much political pressure to give the green light to infecting granny next month.

These fringe movements, and their lies, have real world consequences.

Killing Granny, not just infecting her. Months of shielding. Followed without a break into regional lockdown. Granny hasn't seen her family face to face since the early months of the year. Granny reads the Daily Express (I know, she isn't smart) and is told by the Prime Minister that 5 days of festivities is safe and anyway they've got that vaccine now haven't they?

So off to a proper Lancashire Christmas. Granny goes to her son's for Christmas. Teary hugs. Her Grandson has come home from university. Lots of merriment and for a few days life is back to normal and the nightmare is over.

And then, in January, they meet back up again for her funeral.

This is what reality is going to be like for too many families because of that idiot.
This discussion has been closed.