Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters still betting on Trump even though his legal and other efforts to stay have floundered – pol

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited November 2020 in General
imagePunters still betting on Trump even though his legal and other efforts to stay have floundered – politicalbetting.com

Even after everything that has happened in the past few days Betfair have continued to keep their 2020 next president market open and the total amount of bets matched now exceeds £908 million. Given the terms of their market as set out on PB several times this is a nonsense and this should have been settled two weeks ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First...as in first to say we will be back in lockdown after stupid christmas relaxation policy.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    As I was saying in the previous thread, how "close" do some of you think this vaccine actually is?

Based on the timetable @TheScreamingEagles speculated last week, we're talking 6 months+.

It's not a "matter of weeks" before we have all vulnerable people vaccinated.

I feel expectations need to be seriously managed.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

As I was saying in the previous thread, how "close" do some of you think this vaccine actually is?

Based on the timetable @TheScreamingEagles speculated last week, we're talking 6 months+.

I would be very surprised if it's 6 months before the most vulnerable are vaccinated.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2020

If we get the Oxford one, and the government has got their shit together, I don't see why we can't have all the oldies done in 3 months. We do them for flu without any real fuss or having to use loads of squaddies etc.

HSJ leak had a timeline of that sort of nature.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I would be very surprised if it's 6 months before the most vulnerable are vaccinated.
    And what happens once most of the "vulnerable" people are vaccinated. What does that actually mean in terms of restrictions?

Life isn't going to go magically back to normal in January February time, is it? In that context, "allowing" people (they were going to do it anyway) to actually see friends and family inside over Christmas makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210
    Fifth and falling.
  • Options

If we get the Oxford one, and the government has got their shit together, I don't see why we can't have all the oldies done in 3 months. We do them for flu without any real fuss or having to use loads of squaddies etc.
    Ok, so best case by end of February we have all the "oldies" vaccinated. Then what? At what point are people allowed to see their friends and family?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,102

If AZ comes good, then entirely feasible to be mostly done by April.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

First...as in first to say we will be back in lockdown after stupid christmas relaxation policy.

Yebbut

It's the most wonderful time of the year
    With the kids jingle belling
    And everyone telling you be of good cheer

You old fun sponge.
  • Options

RobD said:

And what happens once most of the "vulnerable" people are vaccinated. What does that actually mean in terms of restrictions?

Life isn't going to go magically back to normal in January February time, is it? In that context, "allowing" people (they were going to do it anyway) to actually see friends and family inside over Christmas makes perfect sense.
    No, but it's a sliding scale. The more people are vaccinated the higher the real R has to be to get an effective R greater than 1. There should be 10 million Pfizer doses before the end of the year, so that's already ~10% vaccinated.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Ok, so best case by end of February we have all the "oldies" vaccinated. Then what? At what point are people allowed to see their friends and family?
    Well i am under no illusions that it will be at least summer before we are restriction free.

But if granny and grandad has had it, you could have them meet up with members of a single other household at a time in March, rather than Christmas. So they can see the grandad kids etc.
  • Options

If AZ comes good, then entirely feasible to be mostly done by April.
    Again, in that context, it makes sense to "allow" people to see friends and family over Christmas if they're realistically going to have to wait another 5 months before they can see friends and family again.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

RobD said:

One of the "leaks" was that you could get a "freedom pass" for two negative tests in a week. Where people are supposed to get these tests from...
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes I agree - normality won’t be jan/feb. Could be by April or may though. Once the most vulnerable are protected it becomes a lot easier.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

RobD said:

One of the "leaks" was that you could get a "freedom pass" for two negative tests in a week. Where people are supposed to get these tests from...
    £43billion has been spent on them, so they should be around somewhere.
  • Options
    There won't be any normality by next summer once the scale of the economic devastation from Covid and Brexit becomes clear.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I would love the Government to move heaven and earth to get as many people vaccinated as soon as possible. I would volunteer as part of a national effort to do so.

Do I expect such a thing? Not at all.

I don't even understand why the FDA are waiting 2 weeks from Pfizer requesting emergency approval to actually having a decision meeting about it. Do they have no sense of urgency?
  • Options
    FFS....the messaging is all wrong...go mad at the shops...this is a f##king disaster.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1330638881830678529?s=19
  • Options

FFS....the messaging is all wrong...go mad at the shops...this is a f##king disaster.

Still, a bit of good news for the meat industry.
  • Options

I would love the Government to move heaven and earth to get as many people vaccinated as soon as possible. I would volunteer as part of a national effort to do so.

I don't even understand why the FDA are waiting 2 weeks from Pfizer requesting emergency approval to actually having a decision meeting about it. Do they have no sense of urgency?

I don’t have an issue with a bit of scrutiny of ALL the data that will have been submitted. It’s not going to 2 sides of A4...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    Re when people will be getting the vaccine:

Don't forget that people are already getting vaccinated in the UK as part of the trials. What will happen is that exactly the same places that administered vaccine and placebo, will now solely give vaccines.

This will, I suspect, continue to be the big teaching hospitals that already have plenty of ability to keep drugs safe in quantity.

I suspect that between now and year end, it'll basically just be doctors and nurses, and long term hospital patients, extending to other vulnerable groups in the new year.
  • Options

I don’t have an issue with a bit of scrutiny of ALL the data that will have been submitted. It’s not going to 2 sides of A4...
    I appreciate that, but two weeks? How many people more people will die in two weeks? How many more businesses will fail? This should be being done 24/7.
  • Options

It's like they've learnt absolutely nothing from the summer. It's one thing to open things up as much as possible, fully aware of the damage having everything shut is doing to the economy. But that's no excuse for not continuing with a genuine message of caution when taking advantage of the freedoms granted.
  • Options
    How long do we give it until we have the media reporting people claiming they have been denied their vaccine shot (despite having not booked / responded to the invitation) and are now outside the centre having a meltdown.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    alex_ said:

No, I don't expect Lupo to be entering the food chain.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    alex_ said:

RobD said:

These are the 20 min tests being piloted in Liverpool, and on the NHS from next week. I was signed up for it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    So what about those who don't want their vaccine denying relatives over?
    The messaging suggests you are a misanthropic killjoy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Life isn't going to go magically back to normal in January February time, is it?

It might do, for vaccinated oldies wanting to take advantage of rock-bottom cruise prices.....
  • Options

Don't forget that R comes down with the number vaccinated. I wouldn't be surprised if we were giving 100,000 people a week a jab by the end of the year, and 1m by the end of January.

While the vaccine programme will likely continue until next autumn, I wouldn't be surprised if the biggest restrictions were removed by Easter.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,112

It seems to me that once the vast majority of the vulnerable are inoculated the risk reward ratio will swing strongly and decisively in favour of removing any restraints on the economy. The risk for the under 60’s is just not high enough to destroy their jobs, education and future.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    alex_ said:

Not news to anyone with common sense.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Don't forget that R comes down with the number vaccinated. I wouldn't be surprised if we were giving 100,000 people a week a jab by the end of the year, and 1m by the end of January.

While the vaccine programme will likely continue until next autumn, I wouldn't be surprised if the biggest restrictions were removed by Easter.
    I would love that to be the case, but is that realistic? That suggests a slick logistic operation. I'm not holding my breath. There's only 6 weeks until the end of the year and none of the vaccines are even approved yet.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

These are the 20 min tests being piloted in Liverpool, and on the NHS from next week. I was signed up for it.
    Who administers them?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

No, you will still have to wear facemasks in shops and you will not be able to go to pubs or restaurants to eat in if in Tier 3 over the Christmas period only to get a takeaway and you will not be able to go just to have a drink without food in Tier 2 either
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No, you will still have to wear facemasks in shops and you will not be able to go to pubs or restaurants to eat in if in Tier 3 over the Christmas period only to get a takeaway and you will not be able to go just to have a drink without food in Tier 2 either
    Do you understand the concept of "messaging"?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Messaging.....
  • Options

Well i am under no illusions that it will be at least summer before we are restriction free.

But if granny and grandad has had it, you could have them meet up with members of a single other household at a time in March, rather than Christmas. So they can see the grandad kids etc.
    That sounds right. I suspect nightclubs, karaoke bars, concerts, big sporting events, etc., will be suspended until next August / September.

But life, other than those, will probably be back by April.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    OT. But in SPOTY/US news. Trump won bigly. Ronnie lost 9-7.
    (Only legal frames counted).
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,572
    alex_ said:

Are you referring to the vegan story or the dead dog story?
  • Options
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,898
    DavidL said:

It seems to me that once the vast majority of the vulnerable are inoculated the risk reward ratio will swing strongly and decisively in favour of removing any restraints on the economy. The risk for the under 60’s is just not high enough to destroy their jobs, education and future.
    Absolutely spot on David - and this is the key point that many seem to be missing. Once you vaccinate the most vulnerable age groups, you cut out 90% of deaths. At that stage, the rest of us should be vigilant until we get the jab, but should nevertheless be allowed to go and live our lives.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Messaging.....
    Yes the messaging is you cannot go to the pub unless to eat or get a takeaway and you can go back to the shops but only with a mask, most of those same shops rely on the Christmas sales for much of their annual revenue, without that they go bust and we end up with virtually no economy at all bar Amazon
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I would love that to be the case, but is that realistic? That suggests a slick logistic operation. I'm not holding my breath. There's only 6 weeks until the end of the year and none of the vaccines are even approved yet.
    The Pfizer vaccine will be approved PDQ I think.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Messaging.....
    Yes the messaging is you cannot go to the pub unless to eat or get a takeaway and you can go back to the shops but only with a mask, most of those same shops rely on the Christmas sales for much of their annual revenue, without that they go bust and we end up with virtually no economy at all bar Amazon
    No that is the rules. Not the messaging.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Messaging.....
    No it isn't. The headlines are all rules relaxed for Christmas....people don't read the small print and as the media constantly remind us everything is too confusing.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

Who administers them?
    Self testing. The accuracy isn't great.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1344617/uk-coronavirus-tests-DIY-test-antibody-testing-kits
  • Options
    edited November 2020

rcs1000 said:

Their emergency approval request will be considered on the 10th December. That leaves 3 weeks until the end of 2020. So how on earth will we be vaccinating 100,000 people per week by the end of those 3 weeks?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Their emergency approval request will be considered on the 10th December. That leaves 3 weeks until the end of 2020. So how on earth will we be vaccinating 100,000 people per week by the end of those 3 weeks?
    The Pfizer Covid vaccine could get the go-ahead in the UK even before the US authorises it, it has emerged, with hopes of a green light in as little as a week.

British regulators are about to start their formal appraisal of the jabs by US giant Pfizer and German firm BioNTech.

Government sources said that in “a best case scenario” a decision could be made in less than a week, with the NHS told to prepare to be ready to start administering jabs by December 1.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/22/pfizer-covid-vaccine-could-get-green-light-end-week/
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The Pfizer Covid vaccine could get the go-ahead in the UK even before the US authorises it, it has emerged, with hopes of a green light in as little as a week.

British regulators are about to start their formal appraisal of the jabs by US giant Pfizer and German firm BioNTech.

Government sources said that in “a best case scenario” a decision could be made in less than a week, with the NHS told to prepare to be ready to start administering jabs by December 1.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/22/pfizer-covid-vaccine-could-get-green-light-end-week/
    I hope that is correct.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Messaging.....
    No it isn't. The headlines are all rules relaxed for Christmas....people don't read the small print and as the media constantly remind us everything is too confusing.
    Course the government's message may be more measured. But it's already out there. Fill your boots.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

I can't see the backbenchers wearing that - most only accepted the last one through gritted teeth, and no doubt feel done over because of the dodgy dossier by which it was justified.

Same with the Treasury.
  • Options
    Could be a decent screw for pubs down here as you have to eat - I’ll do my duty and hit up a few decent gastropubs
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

Who administers them?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1344617/uk-coronavirus-tests-DIY-test-antibody-testing-kits
    So basically you get to self declare (by fiddling, sorry, 'accidentally misadminstering' the test) whether you are eligible for a "freedom pass" to live life normally. Yes i can't see any flaw in that idea...

Could be a decent screw for pubs down here as you have to eat - I’ll do my duty and hit up a few decent gastropubs

I don't really get why one should be considered "safe" and the other not anyway. Why is it safe to drink with a meal but not without? Provided all the other stuff is in place (spaced tables, table service etc). And given that one of the dangers is time spent in a single venue, doesn't "eating substantial meals" actually potentially lengthen time in situ? I will often pop into pub for 45mins to an hour for "a quick pint". Much less safe than spending a couple of hours there eating.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

I can't see the backbenchers wearing that - most only accepted the last one through gritted teeth, and no doubt feel done over because of the dodgy dossier by which it was justified.

Same with the Treasury.
    Starmer will vote with the government.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I think you are conflating the US timetable with the UK one?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Messaging.....
    So to confirm then, you want to destroy our entire retail sector by enforcing a full lockdown throughout the Christmas period leading to largescale shop and business closures and bankruptcies and mass unemployment next year
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I hope that is correct.
    Apologies I see Francis has beat me to it.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

They vaccinate up to a million people a week during flu vaccination season.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    Mike is correct here, Betfair aren't playing to the rules they themselves have put forward in the market now.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Messaging.....
    So to confirm then, you want to destroy our entire retail sector by enforcing a full lockdown throughout the Christmas period leading to mass unemployment next year
    FFS...messaging....the messaging...it should be we are nearly through this, Granny Brenda will be safe in a few weeks, but covid is with us, its still as deadly as ever, lets still be very careful. Please limit your contact with others over Christmas. If we all go mad, we will have to lockdown again in the spring.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    rcs1000 said:

That sounds right. I suspect nightclubs, karaoke bars, concerts, big sporting events, etc., will be suspended until next August / September.

But life, other than those, will probably be back by April.
    Seems a bit too much of a dichotomy there for me.

If life is largely back to normal by April I can't see any reason why those events you've listed couldn't at least be operating under the sort of covid-safe restrictions hospitality have been operating at since for ever now.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The logistics don't care which vaccine is approved. It is pretty much the same for all.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Same with the Treasury.
    Maybe but it would be so embarassing for the government to rely on Labour votes that it might not want to bring the motion. And there's always a possibility he'd see sense too.

I'm optimistic that Boris won't want to go into a third lockdown either. And if he does hopefully he'll want evidence that doesn't fall apart the moment it's put under even cursory scrutiny.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I am, but under the assumption that we aren't going to be too out of step. Even if we start administering jabs on 1st December under the "best case scenario", that only gives 4 weeks until the end of the year. Do you really think the logistics are going to be sorted that quickly? Is there enough stock of the vaccine in the country to be doing 100k a week?

What about the potential horror show of the FDA not approving the vaccine, or delaying the approval, causing people here to become hesitant to get the jab?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

I don't really get why one should be considered "safe" and the other not anyway. Why is it safe to drink with a meal but not without? Provided all the other stuff is in place (spaced tables, table service etc). And given that one of the dangers is time spent in a single venue, doesn't "eating substantial meals" actually potentially lengthen time in situ? I will often pop into pub for 45mins to an hour for "a quick pint". Much less safe than spending a couple of hours there eating.

• Options
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

Who administers them?

I appreciate that this might well be an unusual exception, but please don't quote the Express as a reliable source for anything. The general rule is that if you read it in the Express, it's usually utter b*****cks.

A case in point from today's edition, on a sensitive matter about which I've been in mourning for two months.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1363023/Diogo-Jota-Liverpool-transfer-news-Anfield-Jurgen-Klopp-Premier-League

"Diogo Jota tipped for shock Liverpool transfer exit after impressive start at Anfield"
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

rcs1000 said:

I am, but under the assumption that we aren't going to be too out of step. Even if we start administering jabs on 1st December under the "best case scenario", that only gives 4 weeks until the end of the year. Do you really think the logistics are going to be sorted that quickly? Is there enough stock of the vaccine in the country to be doing 100k a week?

What about the potential horror show of the FDA not approving the vaccine, or delaying the approval, causing people here to become hesitant to get the jab?
    It's basically 3 weeks at that, given the Christmas period will inevitably get heavily in the way anyway.
  • Options
    I really hope you optimists are right that we're going to execute the vaccination program perfectly.

Just based on the track record...
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Same with the Treasury.
    Maybe but it would be so embarassing for the government to rely on Labour votes that it might not want to bring the motion. And there's always a possibility he'd see sense too.

I'm optimistic that Boris won't want to go into a third lockdown either. And if he does hopefully he'll want evidence that doesn't fall apart the moment it's put under even cursory scrutiny.
    Boris will only go into a third lockdown if we do not yet have a vaccine if the polls show most voters want one and crucially most Tory voters would accept one
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Messaging.....
    So to confirm then, you want to destroy our entire retail sector by enforcing a full lockdown throughout the Christmas period leading to mass unemployment next year
    FFS...messaging....the messaging...it should be we are nearly through this, Granny Brenda will be safe in a few weeks, but covid is with us, its still as deadly as ever, lets still be very careful. Please limit your contact with others over Christmas. If we all go mad, we will have to lockdown again in the spring.
    So to confirm then you would indeed destroy our retail sector by preventing them benefiting from Christmas shopping which is the only thing many of our local shopowners are counting on to stop them going bust next year.

(The government have of course said Pubs will only be open for takeaways in Tier 3 and are limiting the number of households that can meet together over the Christmas period).
  • Options
    Lol. Her conspiracy theories are too much even for the other Trump lawyers to associate with.

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1330640804004638721
  • Options

I really hope you optimists are right that we're going to execute the vaccination program perfectly.

There's a vaccine program ever year that reaches tens of millions.
  • Options
    RobD said:

And how long does it take to plan and organise?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Messaging.....
    So to confirm then you would indeed destroy our retail sector by preventing them benefiting from Christmas shopping which is the only thing many of our local shopowners are counting on to stop them going bust next year.

(The government have of course said Pubs will only be open for takeaways in Tier 3 and are limiting the number of households that can meet together over the Christmas period).
    I give up. The newspaper headlines / front pages are filled with Christmas is saved, you have meet up with friends, go mad at the shopping centres, but this is for a limited window, so make sure you fill your boots while you can.

That is what people will see and hear and react accordingly. It is totally the wrong message at a time when we are just starting to see cases come under control and we are 2-3 months away from the the vulnerable being safe.
  • Options

RobD said:

Surely it's just a repeated exercise each year, one that C-19 can repeat in the next few months???
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,572
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Messaging.....
    So to confirm then, you want to destroy our entire retail sector by enforcing a full lockdown throughout the Christmas period leading to largescale shop and business closures and bankruptcies and mass unemployment next year
    The Christmas blowout is going to lead to a full-on lockdown in January anyway. Same result but with more funerals.

Night all.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    So pubs that do not do food are going to remain closed!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I’m not predicting 100k a week this side of Christmas! Why do you think the FDA would fail to approve it? There’s been no meaningful side effects in the trial cohort (unless you count a day feeling mildly hungover?)
  • Options

RobD said:

Surely it's just a repeated exercise each year, one that C-19 can repeat in the next few months???
    But it needs to be done for everyone. And crucially it needs to be done incredibly quickly, and people need to be able to produce proof that they've had it.

People are going to be falling over themselves to get the C-19 jab. Phone lines and online systems will be inundated. This isn't going to be a simple case of "repeat the flu jab procedure".
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Presumably includes House of Commons bars...
  • Options
    justin124 said:

They are very rare beasts, at least down here. Many up north?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I’m not predicting 100k a week this side of Christmas! Why do you think the FDA would fail to approve it? There’s been no meaningful side effects in the trial cohort (unless you count a day feeling mildly hungover?)
    @rcs1000 was predicting 100k a week this side of Christmas.

I don't think the FDA will fail to approve it, but they might?
  • Options
    RobD said:

programme

🙂
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I can't even telephone my GP at the best of times. What makes people think GPs will be able to handle demand for the C-19 vaccine? Some people aren't even registered with a GP.

Will it be done centrally? If so, isn't that a different system to the flu vaccine one?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Messaging.....
    The Christmas blowout is going to lead to a full-on lockdown in January anyway. Same result but with more funerals.

Night all.
    The Christmas shopping season makes more money for retailers than half the rest of the year combined, so no
  • Options
    Question - does anybody know of a list online of the lawsuits filed over Brexit since the referendum by Miller, Maugham and others? I was idly wondering how many there were.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

I can't even telephone my GP at the best of times. What makes people think GPs will be able to handle demand for the C-19 vaccine? Some people aren't even registered with a GP.

Will it be done centrally? If so, isn't that a different system to the flu vaccine one?

You don't book a covid test by phoning your GP....and we do 350k a day of those now. And we managed to get millions of food boxes out to oldies every week in the spring with no fuss, simple letter and there was a website if you needed to make changes. And there was the odd claim of somebody missing out, but the vast vast majority of were catered for. That was based upon government records and supplemented by GPs telling the government about vulnerable people who were missed.

I am not saying it will all go smoothly, but it shouldn't be impossible if well organized and not everything the government has done during COVID has been a shit show.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,420
    edited November 2020
    Paul Joseph Watson's latest video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQxaGm7eK4U
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

They are very rare beasts, at least down here. Many up north?
    Not true at all here in Norwich. I use three pubs regularly - none of them serve food.
  • Options

RobD said:

But it needs to be done for everyone. And crucially it needs to be done incredibly quickly, and people need to be able to produce proof that they've had it.

People are going to be falling over themselves to get the C-19 jab. Phone lines and online systems will be inundated. This isn't going to be a simple case of "repeat the flu jab procedure".
    They will just send out letters/emails/texts to the most vulnerable first exactly as they do for the flu

This year I had an appointment one Tuesday morning at 09:27 for the flu jab and my wife had the 09:28 appointment, there were hundreds of appointments all through one week in October, literally every minute,

The process exists, they will simply repeat that exercise initially and roll it out group by group.

People can call all they like, won't slow down the jabs going in the arms of those contacted to have the jab though.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Messaging.....

I give up. The newspaper headlines / front pages are filled with Christmas is saved, you have meet up with friends, go mad at the shopping centres, but this is for a limited window, so make sure you fill your boots while you can.

That is what people will see and hear and react accordingly. It is totally the wrong message at a time when we are just starting to see cases come under control and we are 2-3 months away from the the vulnerable being safe.
    So thanks for your final confirmation you would indeed destroy our retail sector by depriving them of the revenues from their most profitable period of the year
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,543
    alex_ said:

Lol. Her conspiracy theories are too much even for the other Trump lawyers to associate with.

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1330640804004638721

Haha, it's a slo-mo implosion isn't it?
  • Options

You don't book a covid test by phoning your GP....and we do 350k a day of those now.
    That's what I'm saying. If it's done centrally, then that's a different system to the flu vaccine and not a good comparison or an exact replication.

How long did it take us to ramp up to 350k a day COVID tests?

I'm just doubting people's premise that this is going to go smoothly...
  • Options

RobD said:

programme

🙂
    There's probably a vaccine program too tbf.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

The logistics don't care which vaccine is approved. It is pretty much the same for all.
    Does the storage temperature requirement not determine a factor of complexity @Foxy?
  • Options

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Does the storage temperature requirement not determine a factor of complexity @Foxy?
    The vaccine can last a week at normal freezer temps

Should not take that long to get from storage into someone's arm.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It's basically 3 weeks at that, given the Christmas period will inevitably get heavily in the way anyway.
    We should be vaccinating on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, Christmas Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday. We should be vaccinating on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. Pay nurses quadruple time plus bonus, get it done.
This discussion has been closed.