Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

That Was The Week That Was – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,416
    Roger said:

dr_spyn said:

Am trying to read text, but I guess that an Archbishop taking a sabbatical wasn't a big betting market.

https://twitter.com/BBCHelena/status/1330266617012494339

Is the Telegraph a fully fledged subsidiary of the Tory Party now?
    That is very crudely partisan. It doesn't suit the front page of a Newspaper *at all* - can't think how it made it past the editors.
  • Options
    Good job there isn't a pandemic or anything...

In Paris, an estimated 7,000 demonstrators today gathered on the Trocadero square near the Eiffel Tower, chanting 'Freedom, freedom' and 'Everyone wants to film the police.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8973519/Protests-France-planned-law-police-officer-images.html
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    A few geographical quibbles, Mr Speaker.

The North East has essentially been in lockdown since mid September and there is literally no end in sight. Sick of it all.

I will continue to remind everyone that Teesside is in the North East.

And for Ms Cyclefree, the Gold Plates were in New England,not the West.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057

Looks like German car manufacturers haven't forced the EU to give us a good deal.

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1330269840955858945

The article's from May, although still true if there is no deal.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Times says Dishy Rishi looking to raise capital gain tax and cut higher rate pensions tax relief. Not sure that will go down well nor is very sensible. But then Boris has tied himself in with promise to not raise VAT, NI or IC.

I'd be flabbergasted if either happens. They're floated every single budget time - and we aren't due one until March.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Freggles said:

A few geographical quibbles, Mr Speaker.

The North East has essentially been in lockdown since mid September and there is literally no end in sight. Sick of it all.

I will continue to remind everyone that Teesside is in the North East.

And for Ms Cyclefree, the Gold Plates were in New England,not the West.
    Only North Tees 😉
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited November 2020

rcs1000 said:

@Luckyguy1983

There are three American State Capitals with populations under 20,000, and one with a population over 1,000,000.

Can you name either the states, or the capitals themselves?

Lowest:

Vermont (Montpellier), Maine (Augusta), South Dakota (Pierre)

Highest:

Arizona (Phoenix)

Awesome!! Thanks.
    You can also go with American license plate slogans.

Name the following states:

The Empire State
    The Garden State
    Wild & Wonderful (yes, really)
    The Peach State

Three points to the first PBer to get all four
    Sadly our license plates as of this year no longer say “Empire State” but the state motto “Excelsior” because Andrew Cuomo really likes it. It’s a shame, our former yellow plates were very distinctive. The new white ones look like any other state’s; they’re almost identical to Virginia’s.

“The Garden State” for New Jersey always raises a smile this side of the Hudson.
  • Options
    Pro rata that's likely less than 10% of what Belgium was running at recently.
  • Options
    The chancellor will announce a £500m package to support mental health services in England after increased demand for support during the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55031444
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,925
    If deaths and infections continue to fall, that is to say the second wave has peaked, Boris might get away with this. Sack Rishi for giving away too much money, Sir Keir looks like the nagging wife trying to keep us all in, with Jezza and the loony left flicking his ears
  • Options

Times says Dishy Rishi looking to raise capital gain tax and cut higher rate pensions tax relief. Not sure that will go down well nor is very sensible. But then Boris has tied himself in with promise to not raise VAT, NI or IC.

Happy with both. CGT deals with unearned wealth. Eliminating higher/AR relief on pensions levels the playing field and saves HMT a fortune.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Hang on, I was told Biden and Harris were communists.

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1330238920773218306

Starmer needs to make this declaration. And more importantly so does Sunak !
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,416

Happy with both. CGT deals with unearned wealth. Eliminating higher/AR relief on pensions levels the playing field and saves HMT a fortune.
    Being somewhat cynical, that's why CGT won't happen. The unearned wealthy tend to be pretty good at making it not happen. And that's not me being bitter about it - it's people trying to protect their prosperity.

I would also like far heavier taxes on commercial landlords, forcing them to keep their properties' frontages up to a far higher standards, or be forced to lower the rent or sell the properties. I accept it's equally unlikely to happen in the way I would like it to.
  • Options

Being somewhat cynical, that's why CGT won't happen. The unearned wealthy tend to be pretty good at making it not happen. And that's not me being bitter about it - it's people trying to protect their prosperity.

I would also like far heavier taxes on commercial landlords, forcing them to keep their properties' frontages up to a far higher standards, or be forced to lower the rent or sell the properties. I accept it's equally unlikely to happen in the way I would like it to.
    More than happy with that. And let's tax unearned wealth on investment properties properly. 5% loading on stamp duty plus 3% capital tax a year, that will encourage these people to release their property portfolios, reduce prices and give ordinary people a chance to buy at lower rates.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985

That's not quite true: if you've built a business and chosen not to take money out as income, it seems unreasonable to charge you a higher rate simply because you were willing to defer gratification.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,963

The vaccine roll out seems to be imminent.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

That's not quite true: if you've built a business and chosen not to take money out as income, it seems unreasonable to charge you a higher rate simply because you were willing to defer gratification.

Also, not even about defer gratification. My first business i didn't take anything out at all for 3 years, as I put everything back into growing it, hiring new staff, etc.
  • Options
    RCS and Francis - sorry my mobile won't allow responses - yes I get what you are saying but so much of the time the gains are arising from people gaining on unearned wealth. Perhaps set up relevant exemptions for wealth genuinely created for entrepreneurs not for those investing their mummy and daddy money in stocks or property.
  • Options

RCS and Francis - sorry my mobile won't allow responses - yes I get what you are saying but so much of the time the gains are arising from people gaining on unearned wealth. Perhaps set up relevant exemptions for wealth genuinely created for entrepreneurs not for those investing their mummy and daddy money in stocks or property.

What I always want to avoid are situations where identical outcomes have very different tax consequences.

So, if you have your own business, and can't afford to pay yourself for three years, and then earn it back at the end in capital gains, I don't see why you should pay a higher rate on that money.

Likewise, if you own a share that pays a $1 dividend each year for five years, why should that be taxed differently to a situation where you earn $5 in capital gains over the period.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Judge Brann has likely delivered one of the most withering judgements ever in Trump (Giuliani) vs Bockvar
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Anybody who thinks Trump is just going to give up and go quietly at some point hasn't been paying attention for the last four years. He is going to provoke a full blown constitutional crisis and civil disorder as the clock runs down.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Cast your mind back four years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z0iuWh3sek
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Good lord. They actually wanted the electoral college to ignore Trump's clear victory in 2016?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

We are supposed to wear masks outside?

Protection against joggers and cyclists as they exhale.
    Have done a couple of longish train journeys in masks. Can't wait for the end of all this.
    Actually did the Hainault Loop at the eastern end of the Central line on September 23rd, nearly 7 months after my previous Tube journey, and over 6 months since my previous train ride of any description. But not been back since.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Good lord. They actually wanted the electoral college to ignore Trump's clear victory in 2016?
    More Americans voted for Hillary than for Trump in 2016.
    More Americans voted for Biden than for Trump in 2020.

What a pathetic LOSER!
  • Options

RobD said:

What a pathetic LOSER!
    He won where it mattered. ;)
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Lockdown fatigue isn't the problem so much, more that just in general the lines between full lockdown 1.0, alternating relaxed-kind-of and restricted-kind-of periods in between, the tier system and all the regional variants thereof, the differences in the devolved administrations, and kind-of-full-lockdown 2.0, have all blurred together into one mess that is just "covid life".

I think there's definitely growing resistance though. A small anecdote, but around me, there is an outdoor gym. The council put plastic mesh on it and notices telling people not to use it. The first lockdown, they lasted the full three months. This one, they're gone in a couple of weeks. I don't think it was just one person either as it was done over several days.

I always thought closing outdoor gyms was idiotic and I'm glad someone has taken matters into their own hands.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964
    RobD said:

RobD said:

What a pathetic LOSER!
    Not this time. Don't fancy his chances on the streets either.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964
    Dura_Ace said:

Anybody who thinks Trump is just going to give up and go quietly at some point hasn't been paying attention for the last four years. He is going to provoke a full blown constitutional crisis and civil disorder as the clock runs down.
    He is Jack's lack of giving a Fuck.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

What a pathetic LOSER!
    Not this time. Don't fancy his chances on the streets either.
    True, I was referring to 2016 given the video.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,584
    Dura_Ace said:

I’m sure, if given the chance,
    Fact is, though, he’s lost the election, and if sufficient people who know that call his bluff, he’s done.

There aren’t enough Trumpaloopas in positions of authority for full blown constitutional crisis unless enough of their cynical fellow travellers go along with it. I don’t think he has the votes, in Congress or the judiciary, or the state houses.

We’ll see.
  • Options
    Cardiff violence: Six in hospital after city centre disorder

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-55032502
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited November 2020
    Toomey (PA GOP, not running again next time) telling Trump it's over.
    https://twitter.com/SenToomey/status/1330337626193321986

He's the person who originally nominated the GOP judge who just smacked down the Giuliani lawsuit.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Fact is, though, he’s lost the election, and if sufficient people who know that call his bluff, he’s done.

There aren’t enough Trumpaloopas in positions of authority for full blown constitutional crisis unless enough of their cynical fellow travellers go along with it. I don’t think he has the votes, in Congress or the judiciary, or the state houses.

We’ll see.
    I'd agree and one thing about judicial Conservatives in the US...they do follow the letter of the law, esp in the Constitution, the judges aint really on his side.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

We’ll see.
    I'd agree and one thing about judicial Conservatives in the US...they do follow the letter of the law, esp in the Constitution, the judges aint really on his side.
    Most of them.
    Some of Trump’s recent federal bench appointments, not so much.

But most ought to be good enough. Had there been a second Trump term, that might have been different.
  • Options

Toomey (PA GOP, not running again next time) telling Trump it's over.
    https://twitter.com/SenToomey/status/1330337626193321986

He's the person who originally nominated the GOP judge who just smacked down the Giuliani lawsuit.

“Obama appointed”....
    https://twitter.com/MatthewStiegler/status/1330327829817544704
  • Options
    Cracking opinion from the judge, pulling no punches, and dismissing the suit with prejudice.

https://twitter.com/rickhasen/status/1330293233314910209
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Part of the deep state...taps nose....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

@Luckyguy1983

There are three American State Capitals with populations under 20,000, and one with a population over 1,000,000.

Can you name either the states, or the capitals themselves?

Lowest:

Vermont (Montpellier), Maine (Augusta), South Dakota (Pierre)

Highest:

Arizona (Phoenix)

Awesome!! Thanks.
    You can also go with American license plate slogans.

Name the following states:

The Empire State
    The Garden State
    Wild & Wonderful (yes, really)
    The Peach State

Three points to the first PBer to get all four
    Sadly our license plates as of this year no longer say “Empire State” but the state motto “Excelsior” because Andrew Cuomo really likes it. It’s a shame, our former yellow plates were very distinctive. The new white ones look like any other state’s; they’re almost identical to Virginia’s.

“The Garden State” for New Jersey always raises a smile this side of the Hudson.

At least you’ll be able to drive through Virginia without being pulled over for being just over the speed limit by the police raising money for their county authorities, then.
  • Options
    Republican Senators who called Biden President Elect and/or have called for an orderly transition:

Romney
    Sasse
    Rubio
    Alexander
    Collins
    Murkowski

• Options
    Passenger on long-haul flight to New Zealand infected four others with Covid-19 despite testing NEGATIVE before boarding

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8973499/Passenger-long-haul-flight-New-Zealand-infected-four-Covid-19.html
  • Options

Passenger on long-haul flight to New Zealand infected four others with Covid-19 despite testing NEGATIVE before boarding

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8973499/Passenger-long-haul-flight-New-Zealand-infected-four-Covid-19.html

Tested 48 hours before boarding, then another 18 hours+ on the flight, so plenty of time to go from undetectable to contagious.
  • Options

That's going to happen from time to time if you only test people a couple of days before departure.

I'd have a PCR test 48 hours before, an antigen test at the departure and arrival airports, and a PCR test when landing too. (And people can self quarantine for a day before getting the PCR results.)
  • Options
    Interesting thing on Texas:
    https://twitter.com/rainbow_jeremy_/status/1330341734111473665

The Dems should run Catherine Cortez Masto or Lujan Grisham in 2024, get the mid-west out of their critical path.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Someone else might need to be certified.
    This is just nuts, even by Trump’s standards.
    https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1330344762541559812
  • Options
    Loeffler tests positive.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Loeffler tests positive.

* hunger games cannon *
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Interesting thing on Texas:
    https://twitter.com/rainbow_jeremy_/status/1330341734111473665

The Dems should run Catherine Cortez Masto or Lujan Grisham in 2024, get the mid-west out of their critical path.

It’s not who they run in 2024 (though that’s not to say such choices wouldn’t have a marginal effect).
    It’s what they do for these voters over the next four years.

Similarly with campaigning - they have to start building at the local level now.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Loeffler tests positive.

* hunger games cannon *
    Probably just another victim of the White House viral superspreader team.
    https://twitter.com/KLoeffler/status/1329906251350880256
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited November 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Republican Senators who called Biden President Elect and/or have called for an orderly transition:

Romney
    Sasse
    Rubio
    Alexander
    Collins
    Murkowski

Surely Toomey can be added to the list - as per his statement above.

What this now boils down to is that Trump doesn't have the votes in the Senate - in the unlikely event that a state sends competing electors then the Senate is going vote for the Biden electors for that state.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Romney
    Sasse
    Rubio
    Alexander
    Collins
    Murkowski

Liz Cheney: Trump should respect ‘the sanctity of our electoral process’
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/21/liz-cheney-trump-election-438997
    Liz Cheney on Saturday urged President Donald Trump to respect "the sanctity of our electoral process" if he cannot prove his voter fraud claims.

"America is governed by the rule of law," the chair of the House Republican Conference said in a statement. "The President and his lawyers have made claims of criminality and widespread fraud, which they allege could impact election results. If they have genuine evidence of this, they are obligated to present it immediately in court and to the American people."

If the President cannot prove these claims or demonstrate that they would change the election result, he should fulfill his oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States by respecting the sanctity of our electoral process,” she added.

Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and others in House leadership have largely backed Trump as he contests the election results and continues to baselessly claim he won the race....
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    Dura_Ace said:

Only in your wildest fantasies will it work.

He has lost.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
This discussion has been closed.