Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The money shifts back to Biden on Betfair’s £240m next President market – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFD said:

The PM better hurry up and get this news conference done by 7 10pm otherwise he will push back Strictly and that really will see his poll rating plunge

Record and play back either
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Closing schools again would be a disaster.
    Saw some data that showed the transmission rates in education settings, having a lockdown and not closing schools and unis is like using a condom with holes in both ends.

From a pure epidemiological POV it is a no brainer.
    Which is why lockdown as a concept doesn't work. We need to keep schools and supermarkets open, those two things together plus healthcare and other basic services add up to an R of over 1 already. There is no combination of things we can keep open that includes schools that doesn't have an R over 1. So we need a different way of doing this.

We're using a broad measure of stopping some forms of interaction to reduce the overall R, it's an untargeted method which causes a lot of secondary damage. It also doesn't work because stopping interaction in public just drives the same interaction into front rooms which are impossible to police.

There is no form of lockdown that will make any kind of difference in this country, not without closing schools and that is an unacceptable cost and needs to be avoided even if it means more deaths than would otherwise happen.

The only way to resolve this is targeted measures to stop people who have the virus interacting with people who don't. There is no other way to do it, none. Everything else is going to fail and cost the nation more than just money.
    I don't think that's necessarily true: in Sweden schools were kept open (albeit universities and older kids went on-line), while there were a reasonable number of other restrictions.

And I think it would have been sensible to do something similar in the UK - kept Universities on-line until January, and bring schools back from youngest to oldest. Doing it all in one go meant that you didn't go from R of 1 to 1.2, but from 1 to 3.
    Sweden isn't exactly an example that should be held up as worth following, with our population density and social nature their death rate would be more than double what it is IMO.
    Once again: You need to forget population density and think about degree of urbanisation (which is actually higher in Sweden than the UK).
    No you don't that's nonsense. Urbanisation isn't higher than in the UK.

The thing is the UK is so dense that we draw distinctions without a difference. Greater Manchester is a different city to Liverpool, towns in-between like Warrington are different too. But they are actually one contiguous urban area. There's no natural break between them like there is in other countries.
    Sweden 86% urban
    UK 82% urban

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_countries_by_percentage_of_urban_population
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    What s**t is this?
  • Options
    Nearly 3 hours of delay and they can't get the slides zoomed to fit the screen properly
  • Options

Here we go

...again, ...to the temple of consumption, ...with a total dedication...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The charts are cut off.
  • Options

RobD said:

Agreed. We are going to have to find a way of living with this virus. Protect the old and infirm. Shield. Risk segmentation. Don’t close down schools and ruin businesses. Pathetic leadership by Boris and his clownocracy.
    Exactly - the madness of this is breathtaking.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    DavidL said:

Had to switch from the BBC when yet another ignoramus explains that we didn’t train up enough icu staff over the summer (!!) and we are in this position because the NHS is so underfunded (highest ever level of spending but whatever). None of this wittering challenged or mocked of course.

Prof Gupta of Great Barrington Declaration fame, wasn't it?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    The whole "close the schools" thing might carry more weight if its proponents suggested how they were going to make that teaching time back up. Are they talking about extending the term - in general I think not.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    MaxPB said:

The charts are cut off.

Looks fine on the sky feed.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Why do all the charts end on 25th October?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    Many ghosts rise in outrage in the Vendee to object.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Why do all the charts end on 25th October?

For the narrative.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,404
    Yes it has. The French Revolution killed quite a few, specifically in the name of their secularist goals. As a start....
  • Options
    Besides god, say the faithful and pious.
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    Press conference was 2:48 late. Which is exactly the amount of time it takes to get a train to Darlington and a taxi onwards to Barnard Castle.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,302
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Had to switch from the BBC when yet another ignoramus explains that we didn’t train up enough icu staff over the summer (!!) and we are in this position because the NHS is so underfunded (highest ever level of spending but whatever). None of this wittering challenged or mocked of course.

Think so. So partisan as to be useless.
  • Options
    These charts don't do anything, as they all assume that the Tier system won't have any effect, even though the effect of the Tiers won't be yet seen in any of the figures.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Saw some data that showed the transmission rates in education settings, having a lockdown and not closing schools and unis is like using a condom with holes in both ends.

Which is why lockdown as a concept doesn't work. We need to keep schools and supermarkets open, those two things together plus healthcare and other basic services add up to an R of over 1 already. There is no combination of things we can keep open that includes schools that doesn't have an R over 1. So we need a different way of doing this.

We're using a broad measure of stopping some forms of interaction to reduce the overall R, it's an untargeted method which causes a lot of secondary damage. It also doesn't work because stopping interaction in public just drives the same interaction into front rooms which are impossible to police.

There is no form of lockdown that will make any kind of difference in this country, not without closing schools and that is an unacceptable cost and needs to be avoided even if it means more deaths than would otherwise happen.

The only way to resolve this is targeted measures to stop people who have the virus interacting with people who don't. There is no other way to do it, none. Everything else is going to fail and cost the nation more than just money.
    I don't think that's necessarily true: in Sweden schools were kept open (albeit universities and older kids went on-line), while there were a reasonable number of other restrictions.

And I think it would have been sensible to do something similar in the UK - kept Universities on-line until January, and bring schools back from youngest to oldest. Doing it all in one go meant that you didn't go from R of 1 to 1.2, but from 1 to 3.
    Sweden isn't exactly an example that should be held up as worth following, with our population density and social nature their death rate would be more than double what it is IMO.
    The one aspect of Sweden's approach that should have been followed was the idea that no quick fix, no vaccine in a few months, so plan for 2 years and stick to it, no stop / start / relax when things look a bit better.
    Which works there because the base R in Sweden is lower than it is here because it has a lower population density and a less social culture. Sweden is social distancing the nation.
    Not been partying in Stockholm then.
    I have, and Lund. It's weird.
    Pls see my edited post!
    I saw, cheers mate, we'll need to trade lockdown stories over a beer after work one day when we're both back in office.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Once again: You need to forget population density and think about degree of urbanisation (which is actually higher in Sweden than the UK).
    No you don't that's nonsense. Urbanisation isn't higher than in the UK.

The thing is the UK is so dense that we draw distinctions without a difference. Greater Manchester is a different city to Liverpool, towns in-between like Warrington are different too. But they are actually one contiguous urban area. There's no natural break between them like there is in other countries.
    Sweden 86% urban
    UK 82% urban

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_countries_by_percentage_of_urban_population
    Does not address what I said at all.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

These charts don't do anything, as they all assume that the Tier system won't have any effect, even though the effect of the Tiers won't be yet seen in any of the figures.

Didn't he even comment on one of the charts saying it was plateauing because of the new restrictions, but no significant evidence of a decrease.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I thought exactly the same
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

The one aspect of Sweden's approach that should have been followed was the idea that no quick fix, no vaccine in a few months, so plan for 2 years and stick to it, no stop / start / relax when things look a bit better.
    Which works there because the base R in Sweden is lower than it is here because it has a lower population density and a less social culture. Sweden is social distancing the nation.
    Not been partying in Stockholm then.
    I have, and Lund. It's weird.
    Pls see my edited post!
    I saw, cheers mate, we'll need to trade lockdown stories over a beer after work one day when we're both back in office.
    You're Ron!
  • Options

Nearly 3 hours of delay and they can't get the slides zoomed to fit the screen properly

Shit scaling on the BBC to fit in the sign language chap.... Sky seems fine.
  • Options

Yes it has. The French Revolution killed quite a few, specifically in the name of their secularist goals. As a start....
    The Cristero War was pretty grim. And don’t get me started on the Russian Civil War...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065
    DavidL said:

https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/1322609627117309953
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Think so. So partisan as to be useless.
    And who thought we had herd immunity 6 months ago. No credibility...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952
    Kept us waiting 3 hours, and it's literally a shitshow
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    DavidL said:

I think they're getting very slightly better, although the endless interviews with Neil Ferguson have me wondering. (Great - let's interview someone that has got it wrong)

There's the BBC and then there's the BBC news stuff. They're not the same, and we see wonderful things from the arty wing that justify almost any price - the recent production of 'A Suitable Boy' for example.
  • Options

alex_ said:

The R slide shows the number falling since the tier system came into operation
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Not literally 💩 !
  • Options
    DavidL said:

alex_ said:

Yeah, but it doesn't seem fast enough unfortunately.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

alex_ said:

And that's supposed to be something not in the Tier system's favour?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    What a dire slideshow this is. Makes no sense, formatted terribly. I cannot see how this is making the case for a full lockdown nationwide
  • Options
    alex_ said:

None of them want to talk about what they assured us was the right way forward, just recently, isn't now working.

• Options
    DavidL said:

alex_ said:

I am not an expert but I am very uneasy about these slides as I do not see the armageddon predicted

I accept I could be wrong
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    We get it.
    Get the PM on.
  • Options
    How on earth does this guy have this many degrees and not know how to operate a fecking wireless mouse or computer remote?
  • Options
    I'm sorry, did he just say this is based on the R increasing from now to where it is. Are we really seeing a scientist say this?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Why do you not try to make constructive criticism
  • Options
    Does anyone believe that deaths projection?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

None of them want to talk about what they assured us was the right way forward, just recently, isn't now working.

The Scientists always claimed it wouldn't work, so aren't interested in considering the possibility that it might.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Intruigingly, the Uni of Wash model now suggests Germany will endure 89,000 dead by Feb 1, 2021. That's slightly worse than France.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/germany

The UK is still comfortably the worst in Europe. 140,000
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,304
    No One Cares Betting Post

Chisora is now in to 5.8, which is being hit, on bf but I'm not cashing out.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Alistair said:
    It's slightly more nuanced than that as the author admits further down the thread. Curbside voting is allowed in TX but only if you physically can't get in the polling station (it's intended for disabled / elderly voters). What Harris County did was allow drive-through voting - where a clerk brings the poll to your car - and call it curbside voting to get round the restrictions on drive-through voting, which is not allowed. Also in TX, the state legislature makes the voting rules, not the counties.
  • Options

DavidL said:

alex_ said:

I am not an expert but I am very uneasy about these slides as I do not see the armageddon predicted

They're showing deaths reaching 2-4x the first wave peak by the end of the year if no action is taken. Not Armageddon but not good.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

It's a badly prepared shitshow? That constructive enough?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    What if it starts at 19:00 on the dot?
  • Options
    There isn't anything in those slides that wouldn't have been different two weeks ago. The idea that somehow they can have suddenly changed Johnson's mind in a week is ridiculous!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Says the guy who compared the Welsh lockdown to the Stasi.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Does anyone believe that deaths projection?

The PM apparently
  • Options

DavidL said:

alex_ said:

They're showing deaths reaching 2-4x the first wave peak by the end of the year if no action is taken. Not Armageddon but not good.
    But the tiering is still being developed but I am not an expert on this
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:
    It's slightly more nuanced than that as the author admits further down the thread. Curbside voting is allowed in TX but only if you physically can't get in the polling station (it's intended for disabled / elderly voters). What Harris County did was allow drive-through voting - where a clerk brings the poll to your car - and call it curbside voting to get round the restrictions on drive-through voting, which is not allowed. Also in TX, the state legislature makes the voting rules, not the counties.
    The problem, though, is that it is combined with Texas having far too few polling stations, and people being forced to wait for hours on election day.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2020
    MrEd said:

Alistair said:
    Throwing out a hundred thousand ballots is facism. Nothing complicated about it.

It they want to void the election and call for a revote that would be one thing, to simply throw out people's votes is inexcusable.
  • Options
    ‘No responsible Prime Minister...’

Could be read so many different ways...
  • Options
    Shagger: "Its not my fault, follow the science like I always do. The science made me do it"
  • Options

DavidL said:

alex_ said:

But the tiering is still being developed but I am not an expert on this
    or, possibly, anything
  • Options
    Does anyone really believe hospitals in the South West are going to run out of beds in weeks?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

There isn't anything in those slides that wouldn't have been different two weeks ago. The idea that somehow they can have suddenly changed Johnson's mind in a week is ridiculous!

Yeah, in fact in the last two weeks the data has become better and the trend is downwards, pretty well downwards too.
  • Options

DavidL said:

alex_ said:

Likewise. I accept the need to act but I don’t believe these figures, just like I didn’t believe the chart which would have had infections at 200k a day by now.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Is that to do with the slides as there was no problem with the ones on Sky
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    Watching Presser on iplayer - charts are truncated around the edges - same case on TV?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

But in the intervening time he implemented policies that were supposed to be effective at slowing it down. I think that is what has changed.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Napoleon was the first out of the gate with really industrial vote rigging.

My favourite - one of him Marshalls had his army turn out on parade for the voting on the him becoming Emperor.

The Marshall announced that anyone who voted "No" would be shot immediately. Then non-secret ballot voting started.....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

Alistair said:
    The problem, though, is that it is combined with Texas having far too few polling stations, and people being forced to wait for hours on election day.
    This made me smile...

https://twitter.com/MustweSuffer/status/1322544628344754176?s=19
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    just the usual waffle and bullshit
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    RobD said:

alex_ said:

But in the intervening time he implemented policies that were supposed to be effective at slowing it down. I think that is what has changed.
    The new policies were only introduced 2 weeks ago! They won't be showing in the figures yet, or to the extent that they are they are showing a slowing down.

With the exception of Liverpool nowhere has been in tier 3 for much more than a week!
  • Options
    Pitiful waffle from the clown. Just get to it
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Boris confirms stay at home order from Thursday until start of December unless for work where unable to work from home or exercise or study and to shop for food and essentials, pubs, bars and restaurants to close unless for takeaways.

Support bubbles still allowed
  • Options
    There you go, using the NHS as a protective shield for incompetence.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Is that to do with the slides as there was no problem with the ones on Sky
    No the slides was a BBC cockup. Its a shitshow because:
    1. Its nearly 3 hours late starting
    2. Its announcing a course that this PM not only slagged off repeatedly but hung round the neck of SKS and mocked him for it
    3. Its a month too late

He couldn't have fucked this up harder if he'd tried.
  • Options
    @Gallowgate - support bubbles still on. ;)
  • Options
    VAR screws Liverpool again.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Boris should resign for this.
  • Options
    Furlough scheme to be extended through November until December
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    Furlough extended.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    HYUFD said:

Furlough scheme to be extended through November until December

big deal
  • Options

MrEd said:

Alistair said:
    Throwing out a hundred thousand ballots is facism. Nothing complicated about it.

It they want to void the election and call for a revote that would be one thing, to simply throw out people's votes is inexcusable.
    Plenty of non-facist scumbags have throw out votes or invented them by the literal ton. Chavez etc.

What this is, is People's Democratic Republic grade politics - state modifies the vote to one that it approves of.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    dixiedean said:

Furlough extended.

Fire up the printing press.
  • Options

MrEd said:

Alistair said:

Tell you what, we have a General Election here. We allow people to cast their votes from their cars and put into a box outside the scrutiny of polling stations, and where a clerk is holding the box in a parking lot.

You happy with that?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Furlough extended.

That is good
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris confirms stay at home order from Thursday until start of December unless for work where unable to work from home or exercise or study and to shop for food and essentials, pubs, bars and restaurants to close unless for takeaways.

Yes. Stay at home unless you don't stay at home. Thats the only way to keep everyone safe, by letting them go out in the same way they have been during this period of exponential growth
  • Options
    Still mentioning the idea Christmas will happen is the height of irresponsibility. This year is a write-off.

These slides show the incompetence of the Johnson administration.

Dither and delay, absolutely. They knew in September that a national lockdown was needed and they sat around and did not act.

I warned in July, that we were headed for disaster. I was laughed off this website, I was called an idiot, that I was wrong and we should just follow Sweden.

I am sorry to say my friends, I was right.

• Options
    5 Nov - 2 Dec
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

dixiedean said:

Furlough extended.

That is good
    How the Holy Fuck do we pay for this?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited October 2020
    Dread to think of the cost of another month of full furlough.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

Furlough extended.

Fire up the printing press.
    New meaning to the expression ‘money to burn.’
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    HYUFD said:

Gyms?
  • Options
    Tories that foisted this inadequate upon us should hang their heads in shame.
  • Options
    And now promising improvement by the Spring, my goodness this is incredibly irresponsible.
  • Options

Still mentioning the idea Christmas will happen is the height of irresponsibility. This year is a write-off.

Dither and delay, absolutely. They knew in September that a national lockdown was needed and they sat around and did not act.

I warned in July, that we were headed for disaster. I was laughed off this website, I was called an idiot, that I was wrong and we should just follow Sweden.

Yes, you were right.
  • Options

Christmas will still happen even if only rule of 6 limited
  • Options
    LadyG said:

dixiedean said:

Furlough extended.

That is good
    How the Holy Fuck do we pay for this?
    Shagging tax.
This discussion has been closed.