Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Home truths about Covid-19 – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

dixiedean said:

Wigan's official postal address is Wigan, Lancs.
    This never changed.

Nope.

What the Royal Mail says is also irrelevant as they don't set county boundaries.

However, there is no county at all in Wigan's official postal address (or in any addresses – probably to stop daft parochialism like that witnessed today)
    Yup. This is the full and correct postal address for Wigan Council direct from Royal Mail.

Wigan Council
    Civic Centre
    Millgate
    WIGAN
    WN1 1AZ
    Postal "counties" were abolished in 1996.
    Already deprecated in the 1980s, and we were requested to write the postal town in CAPITALS instead.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

The public speaks.

And not in a good way for lockdown fanatics.
    Pretending what is still a minority view is in fact a majority view does not make it more convincing, in fact it makes it less convincing as it seems delusional. I have sympathy with the frustrations of lockdown after lockdown, and expect the view to increase, but picking one viral quote and acting as though it is representative when a body of polling suggests otherwise, it just dumb.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited October 2020

dixiedean said:

This never changed.

Nope.

What the Royal Mail says is also irrelevant as they don't set county boundaries.

However, there is no county at all in Wigan's official postal address (or in any addresses – probably to stop daft parochialism like that witnessed today)
    Yup. This is the full and correct postal address for Wigan Council direct from Royal Mail.

Wigan Council
    Civic Centre
    Millgate
    WIGAN
    WN1 1AZ
    And before that the Royal Mail adopted the 1974 counties for postal use with a number of exceptions: Humberside was split into North Humberside and South Humberside, Herefordshire and Worcestershire remained separate postal counties, and Greater Manchester and Greater London were not used because they could be confused with the post towns of MANCHESTER and LONDON respectively.

Within the "Greater" exceptions the old pre -1974 / -1965 geographical county names could still be used, although most of the post towns in them, including MANCHESTER and LONDON, were already classified as special post towns not in any postal county. Many of the post-1974 postal counties had significantly different boundaries from their administrative counterparts.

The Royal Mail specifically did not adopt the 1973 Northern Ireland districts nor the 1975 Scottish regions for postal usage.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

*BRAZIL VOLUNTEER IN ASTRAZENECA VACCINE TRIAL HAS DIED: REUTERS

This is depressing if true :(

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1318962795363373058
    Let's wait for some actual news rather than panicking before the details actually come out.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320

OnboardG1 said:

First Johnny Rotten, now 50 cent. Which washed up music star will endorse next!
    Of course Biden only has young and upcoming endorsements like Ted Danson.
    Plus most of the hottest hippest music and movie stars of 2020. And they're doing it in a subtle non-yucky way this time. No chances being taken. Your hero is a goner. And I won't be sad about it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

This never changed.

Nope.

Actually it is because primary sorting by county to secondary roads staffed by higher graded posties who knew the geography of their patches has long since been replaced by primary sorting by post town and postcode. Sticking the county after an address adds nothing, doesn’t help the PO (RM) and in some circumstances could increase the chance of a missort.
    Yes, some people would put the wrong county on the address. As we have seen today!!
    I don't. You don't put any county on any address.
    If you missed off the post code, where would a letter addressed to "Newport" end up without including the county?
    Rhode Island?
    Initially Belfast's sorting office for unidentifiable addresses.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    eek said:

Let's wait for some actual news rather than panicking before the details actually come out.

At least it wasn't coronavirus vaccine complications.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563

Estimates of the probable effectiveness of the vaccine range from below 50% to maybe 70%.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    edited October 2020
    alex_ said:

OnboardG1 said:

It's almost like Rashford is actually quite a nice, decent sort who wants kids to not have to go through what he did, and he's up against a bunch of Scrooges whose only defense is "But Labour..."
    Then why doesn't he just take £100,000 per month and donate the remaining £900,000 to lower income households in Manchester.
    Given their often very deprived background this sort of thing is more common than you might thing. At a minimum supporting extended friends and family, and I have read cases of African footballers effectively funding whole villages.

Although your suggestion would leave him with a bit of a problem given probably about 500k has already gone to the Exchequer.
    As I said earlier all premiership footballers set themselves up as companies to avoid paying tax. He could direct Man Utd to pay £900,000 of his wages each month to a charity. He likes to play on coming from a under prviliged background. His mum had a mortgage. I don't know her personal circumstances but to have a mortgage on a property you normally have to be earning reasonable amount of money to buy a family house. Its hardly sleeping on the streets.

What annoys me is that a man of his extreme privilage and wealth (which is funded through the ordinary working man paying for Sky each month) expects the normal taxpayer to pick up the bill for all his demands. He lives in a world of monthly millionaires. How about getting these people to pay just a tiny percentage of their wages to whatever cause he is promoting, rather than saying its the Government's responsibility all the time. Its not the Government's money, its future taxpayers.

Not all footballers are generous with their money. Look at Lionel Messi's tax fraud case

Footballers these days need to realise how lucky they are.
    I do business with a ex footballer who has 50 England caps ( he played in the late 70s/early 80s) The most he ever earned was £900 per week) He would be on £150k minimum now. He has spent the last 15 years selling stationary.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,296

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

alex_ said:

26,688 new cases

T3 everywhere but Devon and Cornwall incoming....
    Looks like turnaround times are improving, so less backdating. Specimen date still looks like a plateau.
    The specimen date always looks like a plateau when cases are rising, simply because recent dates are incomplete. That's why the specimen date is pretty useless for determining what is happening right now!

The best estimate of the current status is, I think, to take the 7-day smoothed figures by reporting date and project them forwards by 3 days.
    See above - depends on how much updating. I believe the turn-arounds are currently much improved. We are not out of the woods, but a combination of restrictions and fear is getting R to around 1.
    I think we'll need to wait for the next few days of data to see if that's true. If they've suddenly found the capacity to clear out 50000 tests sitting in the cupboard then you might expect a spike. Given lots of specimens from monday showed up but less at the weekend that suggests a backlog got cleared somewhere.

HOWEVER, we'll need to wait for a few days to be sure of that.
    The peaks around the 6th and 14th are now baked into the specimen date data.

Does that imply the recent increase is due to faster turnaround or brown alert time?
    Anyone who panics over reporting day numbers is of interest to me - I have several bridges to sell and some Thames foreshore property for people to invest in and I'm always looking for buyers.

The facts are these -

- The graph above shows the actual cases by specimen date. This is stuff that actually happened, in the day it happened, as opposed to a somewhat random day when someone clicked "publish"
    - Testing is running in the order of 100K capacity higher than cases - the capacity problems are easing at the moment.

The case numbers etc seem to add up to a considerable slowing in the growth of the epidemic.
    Something media, in particular BBC, cannot grasp. Radio 5 today - "deaths fell sharply on yesterday"...
    When the shake the BBC all the media studies graduates fall out. Why is it still acceptable to proclaim - "I'm hopeless at maths", and yet pour scorn on those whose knowledge of the arts is lacking?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    edited October 2020

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

This never changed.

Nope.

Actually it is because primary sorting by county to secondary roads staffed by higher graded posties who knew the geography of their patches has long since been replaced by primary sorting by post town and postcode. Sticking the county after an address adds nothing, doesn’t help the PO (RM) and in some circumstances could increase the chance of a missort.
    Yes, some people would put the wrong county on the address. As we have seen today!!
    If you missed off the post code, where would a letter addressed to "Newport" end up without including the county?
    If it’s a machinable letter, it would be held inside the sorting machine while the image is looked at by someone remotely to determine the postcode. If it’s a manually sorted item, properly it should be sorted to the blind box, so that someone can look it up. Or you might be lucky (or unlucky) and get someone at primary with some local knowledge who takes an informed guess (for example a Welsh street name and I’d sort it straight to Newport, Wales).

At Christmas most managers volunteer to help out at their local sorting office, so for many years I spend a couple of weeks helping to primary sort the Christmas cards. One time I got a card for a guy I knew, with his full name and correct street address, but otherwise no clue as to where in the country it might be located. I was able to write the correct E18 postcode on the item and send it on its way.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    OnboardG1 said:

It's almost like Rashford is actually quite a nice, decent sort who wants kids to not have to go through what he did, and he's up against a bunch of Scrooges whose only defense is "But Labour..."
    Well in a political debate it is a relevant point in toning down the outrage from the opposition, though as you note not much of a point about whether or not it should be done.

Rashford seems to remain focused and polite in these matters, which probably helps rather than hyperbolistic screechings people do to entertain their followers.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Then why doesn't he just take £100,000 per month and donate the remaining £900,000 to lower income households in Manchester.
    Young Rashford is quite the charitable giver

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11878415/marcus-rashford-charity-list-man-utd-stars-generous-acts/

I'd ask why more wealthy people don't donate as much of their time and influences to good causes as he does.
    The man earns £1million per month, imagine that. He trains fours hours a day and plays once or twice a week. Thats it. Do you really think what is listed in that article equates to more than a monetary value of 1/2 day of his wages?
    Is this the 'politics of envy' that I've so often heard about from the Conservatives?
    Young working class black men are supposed to earn the big bucks from dealing drugs and stay the hell out of politics.
  • Options

Sad for the individual and family, but no bearing on hopes of a vaccine. We know that Covid can kill and we know that trials are blinded.
  • Options

GDBO.
    ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited October 2020

Even if they had the placebo, i presume that means everything stops while they investigate and so more delays.
  • Options

GDBO.
    ?
    God Damn Bloody Oxford.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Even if he had the placebo, i presume that means everything stops while they investigate and so more delays.
    Though I'd guess they'd very quickly know whether it was indeed a placebo..
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

Estimates of the probable effectiveness of the vaccine range from below 50% to maybe 70%.
    Yeah, so not too surprising someone eventually died while on the program.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

This never changed.

Nope.

Rhode Island?
    After two months of waiting I just received a book sent from Nevada that USPS had for some reason primary sorted straight to Switzerland. These things happen. Sometimes you know you’ve made a mistake the second you’ve thrown it into the wrong bag (or indeed the missort arose from an unlucky throw) the question is whether you can be bothered to go fish it out.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    I don’t really get these vaccine safety things. People say that all vaccines will kill some people. If all vaccines will kill some people, then how can safety tests be passed. Or does it matter WHY the vaccine kills them?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

alex_ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Given their often very deprived background this sort of thing is more common than you might thing. At a minimum supporting extended friends and family, and I have read cases of African footballers effectively funding whole villages.

Although your suggestion would leave him with a bit of a problem given probably about 500k has already gone to the Exchequer.
    As I said earlier all premiership footballers set themselves up as companies to avoid paying tax. He could direct Man Utd to pay £900,000 of his wages each month to a charity. He likes to play on coming from a under prviliged background. His mum had a mortgage. I don't know her personal circumstances but to have a mortgage on a property you normally have to be earning reasonable amount of money to buy a family house. Its hardly sleeping on the streets.

What annoys me is that a man of his extreme privilage and wealth (which is funded through the ordinary working man paying for Sky each month) expects the normal taxpayer to pick up the bill for all his demands. He lives in a world of monthly millionaires. How about getting these people to pay just a tiny percentage of their wages to whatever cause he is promoting, rather than saying its the Government's responsibility all the time. Its not the Government's money, its future taxpayers.

Not all footballers are generous with their money. Look at Lionel Messi's tax fraud case

I do business with a ex footballer who has 50 England caps ( he played in the late 70s/early 80s) The most he ever earned was £900 per week) He would be on £150k minimum now. He has spent the last 15 years selling stationary.
    How much does Sunaks father in law give to charity, I bnet he has more success at influencing government than Rashford, if you are going to pick on an individual why choose him?
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Roger said:

That's what happens....all you need is a firebrand like Burnham and the whole Party comes alive!
    All going so well, until...

Did the Honourable Lady Just Call Me Scum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbQkT-PC_QE&
    Yes! Yes she did! Quite audibly. Not really front bench is she...
    Honestly, it's rather refreshing to hear one of the lying, dissembling, shady morons that gets sent out to do this stuff called exactly what he is. Entirely happy with gunning down the messenger.
    Disagree entirely. What is gained by getting giddy at the use of gratuitous insultings in the Chamber? Nothing, since you can vigorously criticise without doing so, and a lot more effectively to boot.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,779
    edited October 2020
    On national versus local lockdowns, my current thinking is:
    • If the outbreak is self-contained: local measures
    • If everyone is going through a broadly similar trajectory but at different stages (situation now in England): national measures with possible dispensations for less affected areas
    Tiers are more grief than they are worth.
  • Options
    Incidentally if he died of coronavirus complications then isn’t it likely that he didn’t, er, have the vaccine?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    RobD said:

Yeah, so not too surprising someone eventually died while on the program.
    Especially given it has a placebo group which is, err, 0% effective.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,390

dixiedean said:

This never changed.

Nope.

Wigan Council
    Civic Centre
    Millgate
    WIGAN
    WN1 1AZ
    You are in danger of clouding the issue with facts.

I mean, Rochdale Pioneers could just have looked Wikipedia.

This is the opening sentence of the entry:

Rochdale /ˈrɒtʃdeɪl/ is a large town in Greater Manchester, England,[1] at the foothills of the South Pennines in the dale on the River Roch, 5.3 miles (8.5 km) northwest of Oldham and 9.8 miles (15.8 km) northeast of Manchester.

But this is PB.

I mean yes, but the Newcastle upon Tyne Wikipedia page says that the city is part of some fairytale place called "Tyne and Wear" and we all know that is fanciful.
    Fanciful or not, they are useful terms for a pair of items that commonly appear together, like needle and thread or wattle and daub, although each does have an independent meaning.

A 'tyne' is a small, fiddly component which drops on the floor when you are trying to fix something. A 'wear' is the large immovable object it rolls under.

[Ack: Douglas Adams - The Meaning of Liff.]
    fish and chips? Laurel and Hardy?
  • Options

You might think Johnson is having trouble, but in Ireland the Taoiseach had to learn from the Irish Times that his contact tracing system had been overwhelmed by demand.

One does wonder what the politicians are doing when the fundamental system for controlling the pandemic can collapse without their knowledge.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1021/1172969-leaders-questions/

You have not, obviously, encountered subordinates who will lie in the most insanely stupid manner possible to their bosses about problems.

For example, a senior civil servant told a Minister, after the modified Nimrod aircraft had been refused a certificate of airworthiness*, that the project was going perfectly.

*And refused in a manner and with reasons that meant it would never get the airworthiness certificate.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Incidentally if he died of coronavirus complications then isn’t it likely that he didn’t, er, have the vaccine?

You'd hope so.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336

alex_ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Well, I suppose after all that movement, being stationary must have appeal, but I don’t see why a desire to stay in a fixed place while he sells is germane.

On a more serious point, the last Rector of Cannock, Peter Hart, played for Walsall when they were in the old Second Division. He earned £25,000 a year. Comfortable, but hardly lavish.

I asked him once what he thought of modern football salaries. His answer was simple - he thought it had turned football away from being a sport to being a business, and while he had no objection to people being well paid, he thought it had gone too far.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

On national versus local lockdowns, my current thinking is:

• If the outbreak is self-contained: local measures
    • If everyone is going through a broadly similar trajectory but at different stages (situation now in England): national measures with possible dispensations for less affected areas
    Tiers are more grief than they are worth.
    That pun may be unintended, but it was brilliant.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,307

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

alex_ said:

26,688 new cases

Looks like turnaround times are improving, so less backdating. Specimen date still looks like a plateau.
    The specimen date always looks like a plateau when cases are rising, simply because recent dates are incomplete. That's why the specimen date is pretty useless for determining what is happening right now!

The best estimate of the current status is, I think, to take the 7-day smoothed figures by reporting date and project them forwards by 3 days.
    See above - depends on how much updating. I believe the turn-arounds are currently much improved. We are not out of the woods, but a combination of restrictions and fear is getting R to around 1.
    I think we'll need to wait for the next few days of data to see if that's true. If they've suddenly found the capacity to clear out 50000 tests sitting in the cupboard then you might expect a spike. Given lots of specimens from monday showed up but less at the weekend that suggests a backlog got cleared somewhere.

Does that imply the recent increase is due to faster turnaround or brown alert time?
    Anyone who panics over reporting day numbers is of interest to me - I have several bridges to sell and some Thames foreshore property for people to invest in and I'm always looking for buyers.

The facts are these -

- The graph above shows the actual cases by specimen date. This is stuff that actually happened, in the day it happened, as opposed to a somewhat random day when someone clicked "publish"
    - Testing is running in the order of 100K capacity higher than cases - the capacity problems are easing at the moment.

The case numbers etc seem to add up to a considerable slowing in the growth of the epidemic.
    That's mostly what I was interested in. I wasn't panicking, I wanted to know whether I should panic! I'm also an inveterate nerd and interested to know what lies behind the numbers going up on a specific day, rather than just that they did.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I think that assumes what you set out to prove, doesn't it?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    nichomar said:

alex_ said:

OnboardG1 said:

How much does Sunaks father in law give to charity, I bnet he has more success at influencing government than Rashford, if you are going to pick on an individual why choose him?
    Becuase of the way he demands more and more money from the Government and his comment that it was the Government's role to feed children. If a child is not fed it is the parents fault. Food is so cheap these days compared to the 1970's. And look around, how many hungry looking kids do you see?
  • Options
    Well that was an expensive party.....

BBC News - Covid-19: Nottingham party students fined £40,000
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-54631524
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

alex_ said:

26,688 new cases

The facts are these -

Something media, in particular BBC, cannot grasp. Radio 5 today - "deaths fell sharply on yesterday"...
    When the shake the BBC all the media studies graduates fall out. Why is it still acceptable to proclaim - "I'm hopeless at maths", and yet pour scorn on those whose knowledge of the arts is lacking?
    Because they don't know. Numbers are a bit frightening to them. To be passed over with a joke and "But the ordinary person in the street doesn't understand, so why should we?"
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I don’t really get these vaccine safety things. People say that all vaccines will kill some people. If all vaccines will kill some people, then how can safety tests be passed. Or does it matter WHY the vaccine kills them?

Not quite. If the vaccine kills someone then it's probably not going to get through safety trials unless there was some wild outside reason for it. What we have here is someone who was enrolled in the trial who died of COVID, but we don't know which arm of the trial he was on. Still sad for the guy and his family given he was only 28.
  • Options

That’s nearly as expensive as that infamous pissup Andy Gilchrist had during the firemen’s strike.
  • Options

nichomar said:

alex_ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Becuase of the way he demands more and more money from the Government and his comment that it was the Government's role to feed children. If a child is not fed it is the parents fault. Food is so cheap these days compared to the 1970's. And look around, how many hungry looking kids do you see?
    "Because something is happening more than five feet from me it isn't happening"

Is your name Ebeneezer?
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998

In the same spirit as the "Marcus Rashford should donate 90% of his wages" argument:
    I hope everyone who has said we shouldn't follow lockdown rules will chip in a bit of their wages to pay these students' fines off.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    alex_ said:

OnboardG1 said:

I see no reason why someone who campaigns for something should be required to give 90% of his income to make a (small) contribution to the cause. I'd say the same if he was campaigning for Brexit or UKIP. It's like the argument against housing benefit - "If you're that concerned about poor people getting housing, why don't you give all your money to Shelter?" Charity is good but in the end its reach is limited, and you should be able to campaign for whatever you think is right anyway.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Well, I suppose after all that movement, being stationary must have appeal, but I don’t see why a desire to stay in a fixed place while he sells is germane.

On a more serious point, the last Rector of Cannock, Peter Hart, played for Walsall when they were in the old Second Division. He earned £25,000 a year. Comfortable, but hardly lavish.

I asked him once what he thought of modern football salaries. His answer was simple - he thought it had turned football away from being a sport to being a business, and while he had no objection to people being well paid, he thought it had gone too far.
    It seems to me that football is busy trying too prove the Victorians were exactly right about the effects of professional, paid sport. Mind you, they were trying to pull things out of the morass that was Georgian sport. Georgian cricket was corrupt in a way that would make Happy Valley racetrack look like it was run by the Salvation Army.....
  • Options
    rpjs said:

dixiedean said:

This never changed.

Nope.

Wigan Council
    Civic Centre
    Millgate
    WIGAN
    WN1 1AZ
    And before that the Royal Mail adopted the 1974 counties for postal use with a number of exceptions: Humberside was split into North Humberside and South Humberside, Herefordshire and Worcestershire remained separate postal counties, and Greater Manchester and Greater London were not used because they could be confused with the post towns of MANCHESTER and LONDON respectively.

Within the "Greater" exceptions the old pre -1974 / -1965 geographical county names could still be used, although most of the post towns in them, including MANCHESTER and LONDON, were already classified as special post towns not in any postal county. Many of the post-1974 postal counties had significantly different boundaries from their administrative counterparts.

The Royal Mail specifically did not adopt the 1973 Northern Ireland districts nor the 1975 Scottish regions for postal usage.
    In London’s case the numbered districts went to the King Edward sorting office near St Paul’s, and the ‘provincial’ (which included all of Outer London - Croydon, Bromley, Ilford postcodes and suchlike) went to Mount Pleasant. Putting Greater London on a letter was asking for it to be missorted.

The very first decision I took as a young manager at the St Paul’s office was to replace the “London” plate on the left hand side of all City of London postboxes with “London numbered districts”. This dramatically reduced the number of outer London letters being posted into the wrong side. All these years later I still have a couple of my replacement pillar box plates that I use as straight edges in lieu of a ruler.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    *DECEASED ASTRA TRIAL VOLUNTEER DIDN'T RECEIVE VACCINE: SOURCE

Still sad but more promising for the vaccine at least
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670

alex_ said:

OnboardG1 said:

You really do have a chip on your shoulder. He clearly has a marketable talent and supports worthy causes. Why don't you attack those who are wealthy who aren't talented and don't.

Also this setting up of a company to avoid tax. Very interested in how as being somone who had his own company for 25 years I clearly failed on that front.
  • Options

I know I'm from Lancashire (or "Greater Manchester" as chunks of it have now been renamed). But even I find it a little off-putting to hear Rayner mutter "scum" in that accent.

Lancashire?

Were you here for the 'northerners are parochial' chat?

I only ask because it was 'renamed' 46 years ago.
    Yes, I made the point that much of the north are parochial bigots.

1. Chunks of Lancashire were given to GM. Lancastrians still called it Lancashire
    2. Greater Manchester was then abolished when I was 9. At which point it reverted to Lancashire
    3. Being born in Ashton-Under-Lyne I have the birthright (but not the talent) to play cricket for Lancashire. Because its Lancashire.

The 1974 counties have largely gone. Thanks to later reorganisations we have wonders like York no longer being in North Yorkshire. So go back to the ceremonial counties. Its Lancashire.
    1. Correct and correct (they are wrong to do so though)
    2. Wrong. Rochdale hasn't been in Lancashire since 1974. From 1986, it beysideecame a met borough within the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities. It is now part of the GM mayoralty.
    3. Correct and wrong

The ceremonial county is Greater Manchester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceremonial_counties_of_England

There is a long-standing dispute in chess circles, reminiscent of Jarndyce v Jarndyce, dating back to the 1970s local government re-organisation. Up to then the Northern Counties Chess Union consisted of Lancashire, Yorkshire, Northumberland, Durham, Cumbria and Cheshire. As you would expect, Lancashire and Yorkshire were "top dogs".
    But in 1975 a group of GM (that's Greater Manchester, not Grandmaster) players decided to set up a Greater Manchester Chess Federation. The NCCU, particular Lancashire, were having none of it, so the (Greater) Manchester Chess Federation play in the Midland Counties Chess Union !
    Curiously there are now separate Lancashire and Merseyside federations, but still a united Yorkshire one.
    Along similar lines we have "Teesside" which was Cleveland and is now Tees Valley or summut.

Anyway the fun bit is that Momentum set up Teesside Momentum. Two Stockton activists were so extreme that they were invited to go and set up a Stockton branch. So that the rest of them were left alone.

Not that any of it matters. I live south of the Tees and that is YORKSHIRE says him eminence Thornaby's Mayor for Life. That Anabobazina better not come over here and tell him its not YORKSHIRE or else he'll lecture you for 15 minutes jabbing the finger then breathe on you to death.

YORKSHIRE. Complete with a massive YORKSHIRE flag flying from the town hall so that Durham can see it over the river. As for Saddleworth, the good burghers of Denshaw, Delph, Diggle etc get reet 'et up about it whatever some outsider says. What proper winds them up is being made part of Oldham borough cos everyone in Owdham says its Lancashire and they're YORKSHIRE. Wi't white rose flag un all.
    I'm from Yorkshire. The coal fields part not Harrogate. Now live in North London and have for ages. No pull back. None at all. Wish I felt it but I don't.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

alex_ said:

26,688 new cases

The facts are these -

Because they don't know. Numbers are a bit frightening to them. To be passed over with a joke and "But the ordinary person in the street doesn't understand, so why should we?"
    It’s pathetic. Is there actually anywhere you can go in the British media for intelligent, non partisan discussion of what is actually going on? You do get intelligent comment/questioning in some areas - but as it usually comes from a partisan viewpoint it ultimately fails.

How much more would we be informed if the BBC put on an hour long programme every day or week which went through serious analysis of the data with experts who had a mandate to critically analyse what’s going on in (but without pushing a predetermined agenda).

Such a programme could become required viewing for anyone (public, politician or journalist alike) who wanted to understand more about what’s really going on. And I genuinely think the public’s capacity to understand these things is generally grossly underestimated.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Carnyx said:

OnboardG1 said:

I hope you're taking notes - pay attention at the back!

https://twitter.com/davieclegg/status/1318948991246213123?s=20

Well Carlotta, you would have plenty to complain about Nippy if your boy and his chums hadn't been so abject.

Still a six point poll lead across the UK suggests enough people are happy with the Government's performance, so what do I know?
    Yoons evidently think they've found their latest, duff, Nat-killing silver bullet. In a week's time the dumber ones will still be looking down the barrel of their Webley, frantically pulling the trigger and wondering why it hasn't gone off.
    So you support Nipoleon's "5 tier" system, just like New Zealand?

And can you explain what FACT means? Most Scots can't.....
    Face coverings, Avoid Crowds, Two Meter Social Distancing, Self Isolate if Ill. Hands, Face Space is better but the fundamental message gets banged home every day so it doesn't matter that much. EDIT: I did that from memory but realised I'd missed "Clean Hands". Which I do anyway because "Wash your damned hands" has been the messaging all along.

Five tiers is completely fine. You could easily ask why the entire country is at "Medium" risk in England. Provided the tiers are clear (and it seems they are) it doesn't matter how many you have. You're being willfully obtuse.
    'Carlotta' would be much more convincing as a serious commentator on Scotland if she/he/it didn't make it so clear that the matter was prejudged by using a derogatory version of a derogatory and abusive name. The stuff on Guernsey has been genuinely interesting, in my opinion.
    I presume you also include TUD in the same category?
  • Options

alex_ said:

You'd hope so.
    It's a 66% chance he didn't, assuming 50% effectiveness.
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    edited October 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

You'd hope so.
    Are blinded studies always 50-50 placebo/drug?
    EDIT: actually I don't think 50-50 makes sense here, so I'll restate:
    Are blinded studies always a fixed ratio placebo/drug?
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    kinabalu said:

I know I'm from Lancashire (or "Greater Manchester" as chunks of it have now been renamed). But even I find it a little off-putting to hear Rayner mutter "scum" in that accent.

Lancashire?

1. Chunks of Lancashire were given to GM. Lancastrians still called it Lancashire
    2. Greater Manchester was then abolished when I was 9. At which point it reverted to Lancashire
    3. Being born in Ashton-Under-Lyne I have the birthright (but not the talent) to play cricket for Lancashire. Because its Lancashire.

The 1974 counties have largely gone. Thanks to later reorganisations we have wonders like York no longer being in North Yorkshire. So go back to the ceremonial counties. Its Lancashire.
    2. Wrong. Rochdale hasn't been in Lancashire since 1974. From 1986, it beysideecame a met borough within the Association of Greater Manchester Authorities. It is now part of the GM mayoralty.
    3. Correct and wrong

There is a long-standing dispute in chess circles, reminiscent of Jarndyce v Jarndyce, dating back to the 1970s local government re-organisation. Up to then the Northern Counties Chess Union consisted of Lancashire, Yorkshire, Northumberland, Durham, Cumbria and Cheshire. As you would expect, Lancashire and Yorkshire were "top dogs".
    But in 1975 a group of GM (that's Greater Manchester, not Grandmaster) players decided to set up a Greater Manchester Chess Federation. The NCCU, particular Lancashire, were having none of it, so the (Greater) Manchester Chess Federation play in the Midland Counties Chess Union !
    Curiously there are now separate Lancashire and Merseyside federations, but still a united Yorkshire one.
    Along similar lines we have "Teesside" which was Cleveland and is now Tees Valley or summut.

Anyway the fun bit is that Momentum set up Teesside Momentum. Two Stockton activists were so extreme that they were invited to go and set up a Stockton branch. So that the rest of them were left alone.

Not that any of it matters. I live south of the Tees and that is YORKSHIRE says him eminence Thornaby's Mayor for Life. That Anabobazina better not come over here and tell him its not YORKSHIRE or else he'll lecture you for 15 minutes jabbing the finger then breathe on you to death.

YORKSHIRE. Complete with a massive YORKSHIRE flag flying from the town hall so that Durham can see it over the river. As for Saddleworth, the good burghers of Denshaw, Delph, Diggle etc get reet 'et up about it whatever some outsider says. What proper winds them up is being made part of Oldham borough cos everyone in Owdham says its Lancashire and they're YORKSHIRE. Wi't white rose flag un all.
    I'm from Yorkshire. The coal fields part not Harrogate. Now live in North London and have for ages. No pull back. None at all. Wish I felt it but I don't.
    You`re from Yorkshire! Now there`s a turn-up.

Are you sure?
  • Options
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

This never changed.

Nope.

Rhode Island?
    Initially Belfast's sorting office for unidentifiable addresses.
    No, Belfast is where they go if the outward sorting office has failed to identify the address, from the information on the front. Nowadays, with a full computerised address file, the national phone book, and the internet, if it’s possible to work out where to send it, the outward office would have done so.

Belfast is where the failures get sent. These get opened, and returned to sender if there is anything inside to identify where it came from. Otherwise destroyed, with anything of value sold off to help cover the costs of the operation. Very rarely would Belfast be able to to identify the recipient where the local office has failed to do so.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Lancashire?

3. Correct and wrong

Are you sure?
    Simple test.

When watching cricket, does he cheer on Yorkshire or Middlesex?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    OnboardG1 said:

Well Carlotta, you would have plenty to complain about Nippy if your boy and his chums hadn't been so abject.

Still a six point poll lead across the UK suggests enough people are happy with the Government's performance, so what do I know?
    It's performative ignorance. Because Sturgeon said it "It's too complicated".

Probably only fair to note this goes in the opposite direction. No idea why people thought some of the restriction packages like the rule of six were overly confusing.
    Carlotta just cannot stand Sturgeon running rings round the Tories.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

This never changed.

Nope.

If it’s a machinable letter, it would be held inside the sorting machine while the image is looked at by someone remotely to determine the postcode. If it’s a manually sorted item, properly it should be sorted to the blind box, so that someone can look it up. Or you might be lucky (or unlucky) and get someone at primary with some local knowledge who takes an informed guess (for example a Welsh street name and I’d sort it straight to Newport, Wales).

At Christmas most managers volunteer to help out at their local sorting office, so for many years I spend a couple of weeks helping to primary sort the Christmas cards. One time I got a card for a guy I knew, with his full name and correct street address, but otherwise no clue as to where in the country it might be located. I was able to write the correct E18 postcode on the item and send it on its way.
    Every Xmas, I invariably have to take some mail delivered to me to the house with the same number as mine in the adjacent street. The street names have the same number of letters and begin with the same letter.
    My favourite mail sorting story is the one about a letter addressed to "Arijaba" correctly reaching its intended destination of Harwich Harbour.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    alex_ said:

It’s pathetic. Is there actually anywhere you can go in the British media for intelligent, non partisan discussion of what is actually going on? You do get intelligent comment/questioning in some areas - but as it usually comes from a partisan viewpoint it ultimately fails.

How much more would we be informed if the BBC put on an hour long programme every day or week which went through serious analysis of the data with experts who had a mandate to critically analyse what’s going on in (but without pushing a predetermined agenda).

Such a programme could become required viewing for anyone (public, politician or journalist alike) who wanted to understand more about what’s really going on. And I genuinely think the public’s capacity to understand these things is generally grossly underestimated.
    Something like that is the direction the Open University could have gone in. Not simply a provider of distance learning but a kind of national 'open' academic forum.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Ian did you ever have anything to do with QofS measurement? I ran the surveys from 2001 to 2008.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

You'd hope so.
    Are blinded studies always 50-50 placebo/drug?
    EDIT: actually I don't think 50-50 makes sense here, so I'll restate:
    Are blinded studies always a fixed ratio placebo/drug?
    I don't know, but can't imagine why they wouldn't be. Makes the sums easier.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Young Rashford is quite the charitable giver

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11878415/marcus-rashford-charity-list-man-utd-stars-generous-acts/

I'd ask why more wealthy people don't donate as much of their time and influences to good causes as he does.
    The man earns £1million per month, imagine that. He trains fours hours a day and plays once or twice a week. Thats it. Do you really think what is listed in that article equates to more than a monetary value of 1/2 day of his wages?
    Is this the 'politics of envy' that I've so often heard about from the Conservatives?
    I've always found the disdain for professional footballers to be rather unpleasant. They're probably paid more than is reasonable for a professional sportsman, but when Grayling gets paid thousands of quid a day to "advise" a transport company then I think that the footballers at least bring some joy to people.
    And it's a pure meritocracy. One of the very few sectors that are. Your public school confidence and connections count for nothing if you're not good enough.

"Well he lacks the technicals and he's fucking slow but he sounds plausible and his teeth are spotless, so let's give him a go."

Don't think so.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    nichomar said:

Ian did you ever have anything to do with QofS measurement? I ran the surveys from 2001 to 2008.

For Research International?

I can remember the days when quality of service was measured internally, back in the 80s. If a letter arrived at the delivery office it was deemed to have been delivered that day, regardless of whether the postie took it out and managed to find the correct address or not. And the postmark was taken as gospel, on the assumption that every postbox was emptied on time. Needless to say, measured quality took a plunge once RI were employed to post and receive actual letters from end to end.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Yoons evidently think they've found their latest, duff, Nat-killing silver bullet. In a week's time the dumber ones will still be looking down the barrel of their Webley, frantically pulling the trigger and wondering why it hasn't gone off.
    So you support Nipoleon's "5 tier" system, just like New Zealand?

And can you explain what FACT means? Most Scots can't.....
    FACTS. It’s Facts.
    I should have known FACT would be too simple......
    Facts about Scotland are an anathema to Carlotta.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    I'm beginning to plan for the US election night.
    I'm going to be home alone in Tier 2.
    I'll have PB for company and I'm idly thinking about setting up a Zoom meeting for anyone interested. We'd need to rename ourselves with our PB handle in the waiting room.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

This never changed.

Nope.

Every Xmas, I invariably have to take some mail delivered to me to the house with the same number as mine in the adjacent street. The street names have the same number of letters and begin with the same letter.
    My favourite mail sorting story is the one about a letter addressed to "Arijaba" correctly reaching its intended destination of Harwich Harbour.
    The post office (used to) prides itself on solving conundrums like that, and a puzzling item could easily get passed around in the hope that someone could solve it. Commercially far more time was expended on badly addressed items than made financial sense, but sorting isnt the most stimulating of jobs and anything out of the ordinary made it more interesting.
  • Options

alex_ said:

You'd hope so.
    50/50 chance I would say rather than likely
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

I can remember the days when quality of service was measured internally, back in the 80s. If a letter arrived at the delivery office it was deemed to have been delivered that day, regardless of whether the postie took it out and managed to find the correct address or not. And the postmark was taken as gospel, on the assumption that every postbox was emptied on time. Needless to say, measured quality took a plunge once RI were employed to post and receive actual letters from end to end.
    Yes, it sounds boring but actually was highly technical, the RM people involved were very good, it’s moved on now with smart letter boxes and other technology but have no involvement since 2014 having spent the time from retirement till then as a consultant.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited October 2020
    Lol

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1318975230119940103

The context is Rudy was set up by a 24 yr old actress who claimed to be 15.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

You'd hope so.
    75% surely at 50% effectiveness.
  • Options

nichomar said:

alex_ said:

OnboardG1 said:

The poor little Tory landslide government being bullied by big bad Marcus Rashford?

It's a scandal!

C'mon. You're embarrassing yourself.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,128
    kinabalu said:

Lancashire?

3. Correct and wrong

Yes I moved south to London two decades ago.

I have never had the single inkling to ever go back.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Football has been completely ruined with the money.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    New post looking at Florida
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

OnboardG1 said:

I wouldn’t know, I never watched it anyway.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

Yes, it sounds boring but actually was highly technical, the RM people involved were very good, it’s moved on now with smart letter boxes and other technology but have no involvement since 2014 having spent the time from retirement till then as a consultant.
    Our suspicion was always that the local office and hence the posties would get to know the addresses being used to receive the test letters (divided out across the hundreds of delivery offices, most would only have a few receiving addresses) but we never got any proof that this was so.

I remember the early days of trialling the intelligent letters, which recorded vibrations in a time sequence such that an expert could interrogate them and work out when they were sorted, when they were in the van, or being carried on delivery, from the movement pattern. It always seemed too much information from a single letter, to me. They were also very expensive and had a habit of getting destroyed in transit, probably by the sorting machines. Hopefully they work better nowadays.
  • Options
    eek said:

You must be new here.
  • Options

eek said:

You must be new here.
    The other thread is definitely new
  • Options

dixiedean said:

This never changed.

Nope.

Wigan Council
    Civic Centre
    Millgate
    WIGAN
    WN1 1AZ
    You are in danger of clouding the issue with facts.

I mean, Rochdale Pioneers could just have looked Wikipedia.

This is the opening sentence of the entry:

Rochdale /ˈrɒtʃdeɪl/ is a large town in Greater Manchester, England,[1] at the foothills of the South Pennines in the dale on the River Roch, 5.3 miles (8.5 km) northwest of Oldham and 9.8 miles (15.8 km) northeast of Manchester.

But this is PB.

Lol are you townsplaining my home town to me?
    Yes, as amazing as it might seem, I have to as you clearly don’t know yourself.

Weird, but there it is!
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Lancashire?

3. Correct and wrong

Are you sure?
    Oh yes - had a summer job down the pit when I was 19. Grim.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,308
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

OnboardG1 said:

Christmas Day 1971 in the sleet and rain of Rugby Park against Morton says otherwise.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,894
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Lancashire?

3. Correct and wrong

Are you sure?
    Oh yes - had a summer job down the pit when I was 19. Grim.
    You were lucky
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

Our suspicion was always that the local office and hence the posties would get to know the addresses being used to receive the test letters (divided out across the hundreds of delivery offices, most would only have a few receiving addresses) but we never got any proof that this was so.

I remember the early days of trialling the intelligent letters, which recorded vibrations in a time sequence such that an expert could interrogate them and work out when they were sorted, when they were in the van, or being carried on delivery, from the movement pattern. It always seemed too much information from a single letter, to me. They were also very expensive and had a habit of getting destroyed in transit, probably by the sorting machines. Hopefully they work better nowadays.
    Well if you were on the pressstream survey the post ie would wonder why you were getting such a weird set of magazines all of a sudden. We did delete a panelist the moment we became suspicious they had been identified. Transponders made things more difficult to disguise
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Lancashire?

3. Correct and wrong

Are you sure?
    Simple test.

When watching cricket, does he cheer on Yorkshire or Middlesex?
    Yorkshire. ☺
This discussion has been closed.