Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Home truths about Covid-19 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

For reference 100% turnout in Texas 2020 would be 189% of the 2016 turnout. This provides some context for the current figure of 59.2%

Er no. That ElectProjects 59.2% turnout in Texas is as a percentage of the 2016 turnout... so "100% turnout" on that chart would be, er... 100% of the 2016 turnout.

But @ Lostpassword, even 59.2% of the 2016 is 31.32% of the 2020 registered voters. That is still mightily impressive at this early stage.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    That's what happens....all you need is a firebrand like Burnham and the whole Party comes alive!
  • Options
    Roger said:

That's what happens....all you need is a firebrand like Burnham and the whole Party comes alive!
    30 seconds for GBP8? GBP960 per hour? I want that work
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    edited October 2020
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Awks...

Sky said Darren Lumsden's face inking of the number 88 was in memory of the year his late father Trevor lost his life - and nothing to do with a code, fashioned around the numerical order of letters in the alphabet, meaning Heil Hitler.

But today his 66-year-old parent revealed he was very much alive - and living in a smart three-storey house in Bristol, not far from his carpenter son.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8863181/Father-death-used-Sky-explain-contestants-Nazi-style-tattoo-alive.html

Maybe he's a fan of 1988 pop music. Brother Beyond, etc.
    Phil Collins had a hit in 1988 with A Groovy Kind of Love. He's not having such a good time of it now.

https://twitter.com/TheCut/status/1318895987302215680
    Sad to see. He did some good work. That percussive explosion in the middle of "I Can Feel It (coming in the air tonight)" can even now get me sitting up and smashing a set of imaginary drums if I've had a few.
    That's got to be a euphemism for something.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Have we done the SurveyUSA poll? Rated "A" on 538.

Biden 53% (-)
    Trump 43% (-)

Changes with 5th October. I.e. no change.

63% plan to vote early.

Of those 63% more than half (well 51%) have already voted.

There is an implicit turnout calculation you can do from that.
    0.63 * 0.51 * 40 million ? Implied turnout of 124.5 million.. seems low.
    That seems inconceivably low.

Shy Trump voters not responding to polls makes up another 20 million?
    And I'm not saying that as a piss take.
    Isn't there we're reading too much into this given the shenanigans the Governor tried at the start of this campaign.
    The Govenor? This was a national poll.
    Oops, mea culpa, I thought the extrapolation was from Texas.
    The 40 million is the suspect figure. Excludes NY for one.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,416
    TimT said:

For reference 100% turnout in Texas 2020 would be 189% of the 2016 turnout. This provides some context for the current figure of 59.2%

Er no. That ElectProjects 59.2% turnout in Texas is as a percentage of the 2016 turnout... so "100% turnout" on that chart would be, er... 100% of the 2016 turnout.

But @ Lostpassword, even 59.2% of the 2016 is 31.32% of the 2020 registered voters. That is still mightily impressive at this early stage.
    By "context" I was not implying that the turnout to date was unimpressive, I was merely providing the context to make that judgement as I didn't have any, not knowing what the turnout was in 2016, or how much the electorate had grown.

After looking up those figures I thought that other people would be interested in the result.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Thinking about other Labour election winners, isn't their formula for success a "respectable" leader, firebrands in the team and mutual respect and understanding of their roles between the two?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited October 2020
    Electproject's early vote is going to be an understatement because of stuff like this.

Hello Idaho!

Or really, just Ada County. @IDSecOfState
    wants me to purchase their absentee data, so I decided to go ahead and post data for Ada County, which is provided through the local election office

Also the New York data is not right, I know of 1 voter who has definitely voted early from Manchester (Vote will be counted as Brooklyn)
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    TimT said:

It is. But y'know, Covid and all.
  • Options

You misunderstand.

The highest figure on the ElectProjects map for Texas would be 189% of the 2016 turnout. This would be a 100% turnout of 2020 registered voters.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,889
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

"All current approaches seem reactive and focused only on the next few weeks."

Fair enough, but there is a huge class of problems to which reactive, short term approaches are all that's available: shaving one's face, mowing one's lawn, cleaning one's house, painting the Forth Bridge. A long-term framework within which to take repeated temporary remedial action may be all that's available. Certainly there has been concerted action in the last month to introduce us to the idea that taking a vaccine may be just an enhancement of the current strategy rather than a replacement of it.

To modify your metaphor - new technology has enabled the painters to take quite long breaks off painting the Forth Bridge. Which extends it nicely, of course, to the vaccine being an enhancement and partial replacement ...
    But the house-cleaning thing is intractable. No matter how scrupulously you do it, in six months' time you have to do it all over again.
    I quite agree. But the painters get more than a few years off - the cycle is now 25 years. I suppose that's equivalent in some people's views to a 6-month cycle with the vacuum though!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited October 2020
    Roger said:

All going so well, until...

Did the Honourable Lady Just Call Me Scum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbQkT-PC_QE&
  • Options

TimT said:

By "context" I was not implying that the turnout to date was unimpressive, I was merely providing the context to make that judgement as I didn't have any, not knowing what the turnout was in 2016, or how much the electorate had grown.

After looking up those figures I thought that other people would be interested in the result.
    Yep, it will take significant increases in the absolute vote just to hold the percentage of the electorate voting steady. So the two largest counties in TX last week saw 17% increases in the vote, but a fall in the percentage of the electorate having voted at that stage.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    TimT said:

Roger said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/private-test-and-trace-consultants-paid-7000-a-day-by-government-a4570946.html

£7,000 for an 8 hour day is £875 an hour
  • Options

We've had the following state polls today so far, that are all very good for Biden.

Civiqs Florida
    Biden 51%
    Trump 47%

Civiqs Nevada
    Biden 52%
    Trump 43%

Suffolk University Pennsylvania
    Biden 49%
    Trump 42%

Does HYUFD just do the good Trump ones?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917

felix said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

I like the comment on the last thread that Marcus Rashford is "pretty well off"

He earns a million quid a month.

The rhetorical device of understatement is a new one on you, then ?
    Wait until NerysHughes finds out that Rashford advocates mask wearing.
    Any logiical person would see that I have been proved right on mask wearing, it has not helped at all.

In regards to Marcus Rashford I have no idea why he was given an MBE . If he managed to persuade his fellow premiership footballers to give up 1% of their salaries to feed children then he would deserve it.
    You still pursuing with the mask thing I see. I`ve gone the other way, I used to think that it protected other people rather than the wearer, but I now think it does both. I don`t mind wearing a mask, seems the smallest evil in the scheme of things, and if it gets people to be slightly less fearful then goodo.
    I base my views on evidence. Compare mask free Sweden to mask wearing Spain.

Your last sentence sums up the problems with masks, people are less fearful when they wear them, they do not socially distance like they did before masks became mandatory. That was always my concern and it has been proved right.
    Link, no proof
    Spain has had enforced mask wearing in public for months, look at last weekends figures

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/international/2020/10/20/73645/breaking-news-spain-considers-curfews-fight-new-coronavirus-wave.html
    Nothing to do with masks all to do with mixing at home and schools, large % of cases in 9-19 age bracket but serious hotspots in Catalonia and Nevarra cases coming down in Madrid there are no weekend figures just three days on Monday. I reLly don’t understand your problem, I’ll continue to wear my mask to respect others and potentially reduce viral load, apart from the fact I have to or be thrown out the shop, hospital etc and get fined.
    In July when mask wearing was made mandatory in the UK I predicted cases would sky rocket. That is exactly what happened. The same is true everywhere. There is so much evidence that mask wearing is not helping at all and could well be making things worse but everyone ignores it. If a politician had come up with any other policy that has failed so badly as masks they would be ruined. For some reason people can't get their heads round the idea that masks don't work, despite all the real world evidence that they don't. They just come up with different excuses eg nightclubs, poeple not wearing masks, families mixing etc etc.
    Gosh you are midnnumbingly stupid on this issue!
    Maybe I am, but please provide evidence of one European Country which has enforced mask wearing which has shown a reduction in cases. And I would remind you that if you read my posts from early July I predicted the rise in cases when mandatory mask wearing came in. So although my prediction was completely right I am mindnumbingly stupid. Its like picking a 50/1 winner of a horse race and then being told that i was stupid for backing it.

In early July cases were well below 1000 a day, they are now over 15000 each day.

Perhaps you can enlighten me on how masks have helped?
    People must be sick to death of providing you with evidence that masks help without eradicating the problem. However you consistently ignore their evidence and bang on with the same old rubbish day-in, day-out.

In addition there are sufficient numbers of idiots who are too selfish/stupid to bother putting on a mask to protect others. We have no idea what the effect of 100% compliance would be because we have never come close to it, thanks to those like your good self who constantly seek to undermine it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,317
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Have we done the SurveyUSA poll? Rated "A" on 538.

Biden 53% (-)
    Trump 43% (-)

Changes with 5th October. I.e. no change.

63% plan to vote early.

Of those 63% more than half (well 51%) have already voted.

There is an implicit turnout calculation you can do from that.
    0.63 * 0.51 * 40 million ? Implied turnout of 124.5 million.. seems low.
    That seems inconceivably low.

Shy Trump voters not responding to polls makes up another 20 million?
    And I'm not saying that as a piss take.
    Don't do that!
  • Options
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662

We've had the following state polls today so far, that are all very good for Biden.

Civiqs Florida
    Biden 51%
    Trump 47%

Civiqs Nevada
    Biden 52%
    Trump 43%

Biden 49%
    Trump 42%

Yes, it's a generally good polling day for Biden.

Did we ever get to the bottom of the IBD Tipp methodology? It's the same as yesterday I think?
    To quote IBD's own explanation

'The daily update of the IBD/TIPP 2020 election poll reflects a survey of 1,162 registered and 1,016 likely voters, from Oct. 16 through Oct. 120. The weighted party split of likely voters includes 375 Democrats, 340 Republicans and 289 independents.

The Biden vs. Trump poll likely voter sample has a credibility interval of +/- 3.2 percentage points. IBD's polling partner TechnoMetrica applies a multimodal approach using "traditional" telephone methodology, with live interviewers supplemented by online surveys. Each day approximately 200 interviews with registered voters are conducted, of which 125 are from telephone and 75 from online. In the telephone sample, roughly 65% of interviews come from a cellphone sample and 35% from a landline sample.'

So todays poll is based on the 200 registered voters they sampled and each day for the next 4 days they will do a new 200 (until all 1000 have been done) so the % we see each day is the 200 for that day (so todays on 538 is for the 20th)
  • Options

Roger said:

Yes! Yes she did! Quite audibly. Not really front bench is she...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TimT said:

Roger said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/private-test-and-trace-consultants-paid-7000-a-day-by-government-a4570946.html

£7,000 for an 8 hour day is £875 an hour
    I think even for that discount price, I'd still be interested ...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,404
    A survey of more than 1,000 Londoners has found that 55% of 18 to 34-year-olds are more likely to move to the countryside as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The survey, commissioned by the Country Land and Business Association (CLA) which represents almost 30,000 rural businesses across England and Wales, shines a light on the growing number of young people considering fleeing the capital in favour of the countryside.

With 25% of the rural population aged 65 or above (compared with 17% of the urban population), rural areas are ageing faster than anywhere else in the UK.
  • Options
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited October 2020
    IanB2 said:

A survey of more than 1,000 Londoners has found that 55% of 18 to 34-year-olds are more likely to move to the countryside as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The survey, commissioned by the Country Land and Business Association (CLA) which represents almost 30,000 rural businesses across England and Wales, shines a light on the growing number of young people considering fleeing the capital in favour of the countryside.

With 25% of the rural population aged 65 or above (compared with 17% of the urban population), rural areas are ageing faster than anywhere else in the UK.

That tax base is going to collapse.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    I think it's mostly or entirely noise, TBH. The overall picture looks quite stable to me.
  • Options

Roger said:

Great moment from Madam Deputy Speaker. Smelling salts........!!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,127

We have a Rasmussen from Arizona.

Biden 48%
    Trump 46%

Fake Rasmussen or real Rasmussen? For the avoidance of confusion, the real Rasmussen is fake and the fake Rasmussen is real.

Glad we cleared that up.
  • Options
    Nominate your legendary local key worker, and win a year’s supply of Domino’s ham, pineapple and mushroom pizza:

https://www.dominos.co.uk/blog/local-legends-free-pizza/
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,571

Roger said:

Thinking about other Labour election winners, isn't their formula for success a "respectable" leader, firebrands in the team and mutual respect and understanding of their roles between the two?
    Yes - Rayner should be to Starmer what Prescott was to Blair, and I think will be - in both cases, rougher at the edges but very loyal. And Nandy should be let off the leash more often - she can do 'I'm really cross about...." rather well.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,275
    IanB2 said:

Nominate your legendary local key worker, and win a year’s supply of Domino’s ham, pineapple and mushroom pizza:

Can it come without the pineapple? Seems harsh if not - they were only doing their job...
  • Options
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    Roger said:

Civiqs Florida
    Biden 51%
    Trump 47%

Civiqs Nevada
    Biden 52%
    Trump 43%

Biden 49%
    Trump 42%

Hyufd doesn't comment on pollsters, but he does comment on Trafalgar.

[Sorry, H, couldn't resist.] :blush:
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Yes, my sense these past few days is that the state and national picture are starting to align around the national Biden +8 mark.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662

Pulpstar said:
    I think it's mostly or entirely noise, TBH. The overall picture looks quite stable to me.
    I agree,,,,things have been pretty stable on both National and State polls for some time,,,,,well until the next Trafalgar poll sails into sight :) (j/k)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,517
    IanB2 said:

What's the address of @TSE ?
  • Options

It looks like Trump is relying on a “Labour’s Double Whammy” style message for the closing weeks of the campaign.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1318924531092828162?s=21

Slash taxes on the wealthy, overheating an already strong economy via a massive unsustainable deficit.

Warn people that your opponent will put up taxes.

Yep, sounds like a Trump sort of strategy.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

It really isn't.

They are simply saying they are more likely. Most won't actually move the countryside and some will simply move out a zone or two to suburban London.

Stop being such a drama queen.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Roger said:

Civiqs Florida
    Biden 51%
    Trump 47%

Civiqs Nevada
    Biden 52%
    Trump 43%

Biden 49%
    Trump 42%

Hyufd doesn't comment on pollsters, but he does comment on Trafalgar.

[Sorry, H, couldn't resist.] :blush:
    HY’s maxim is that those who got it badly wrong the last time can be ignored thereafter.

A thought worth filing away ;)
  • Options
    Didn't they say they wouldn't back down last time? And then backed down?
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

Civiqs Florida
    Biden 51%
    Trump 47%

Civiqs Nevada
    Biden 52%
    Trump 43%

Biden 49%
    Trump 42%

Did we ever get to the bottom of the IBD Tipp methodology? It's the same as yesterday I think?

'The daily update of the IBD/TIPP 2020 election poll reflects a survey of 1,162 registered and 1,016 likely voters, from Oct. 16 through Oct. 120. The weighted party split of likely voters includes 375 Democrats, 340 Republicans and 289 independents.

The Biden vs. Trump poll likely voter sample has a credibility interval of +/- 3.2 percentage points. IBD's polling partner TechnoMetrica applies a multimodal approach using "traditional" telephone methodology, with live interviewers supplemented by online surveys. Each day approximately 200 interviews with registered voters are conducted, of which 125 are from telephone and 75 from online. In the telephone sample, roughly 65% of interviews come from a cellphone sample and 35% from a landline sample.'

So todays poll is based on the 200 registered voters they sampled and each day for the next 4 days they will do a new 200 (until all 1000 have been done) so the % we see each day is the 200 for that day (so todays on 538 is for the 20th)
    So each daily poll has a sample size of 200, or do they top up their sample to 1,000 with older samples?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1318875954534600704

PB Tories simply cannot oppose Khan on economic grounds when Johnson did such a piss poor job

Johnson no longer does us the favour of being "disingenuous". He just lies.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

IanB2 said:

It really isn't.

They are simply saying they are more likely. Most won't actually move the countryside and some will simply move out a zone or two to suburban London.

House building boom in Epping?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,571
    IanB2 said:

Of course the Country Land and Business Association is a completely disinterested party in interpreting the results. Young people in London have always "considered" fleeing the capital for the countryside. Most don't. And if/when they do, it's more likely to be to Brighton or Manchester, for example, than to the countryside.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Can it come without the pineapple? Seems harsh if not - they were only doing their job...
    Extra pineapple +£1.45
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,328
    edited October 2020
    Mal557 said:

Pulpstar said:
    I agree,,,,things have been pretty stable on both National and State polls for some time,,,,,well until the next Trafalgar poll sails into sight :) (j/k)
    Yes, very stable and I wouldn't expect much change now. For PB purposes, I think it would be helpful if we referred to Trafalgar as Villeneuve, just in case anybody should be under any misapprehensions about them.
  • Options

Civiqs Florida
    Biden 51%
    Trump 47%

Civiqs Nevada
    Biden 52%
    Trump 43%

Biden 49%
    Trump 42%

Yes. On that one it's daily but does not get put on 538 every day.

But anyway - how are you feeling about it right now? Confident?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Awks...

Sky said Darren Lumsden's face inking of the number 88 was in memory of the year his late father Trevor lost his life - and nothing to do with a code, fashioned around the numerical order of letters in the alphabet, meaning Heil Hitler.

But today his 66-year-old parent revealed he was very much alive - and living in a smart three-storey house in Bristol, not far from his carpenter son.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8863181/Father-death-used-Sky-explain-contestants-Nazi-style-tattoo-alive.html

Phil Collins had a hit in 1988 with A Groovy Kind of Love. He's not having such a good time of it now.

Maybe Phil could break in via the sussudio.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    This is what life has come to. Getting increasingly impatient that it's passed 4.15pm and the dashboard hasn't been updated yet :(
  • Options

Mal557 said:

Civiqs Florida
    Biden 51%
    Trump 47%

Civiqs Nevada
    Biden 52%
    Trump 43%

Biden 49%
    Trump 42%

So each daily poll has a sample size of 200, or do they top up their sample to 1,000 with older samples?
    The 45 - 64 sample being less Trumper than the 65+ sample looks sui generis to me. I know Biden is doing well with seniors but I'd still expect a broad rightwing drift as people get older.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

What's the address of @TSE ?
    N M Rothschild & Sons.

82 King Street,
    Manchester,
    M2 4WQ.
  • Options

It looks like Trump is relying on a “Labour’s Double Whammy” style message for the closing weeks of the campaign.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1318924531092828162?s=21

Odd use of the plural – there are less than two weeks left.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

It really isn't.

https://www.decisionmarketing.co.uk/news/londons-millennials-are-facing-serious-financial-crisis
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1318875954534600704

PB Tories simply cannot oppose Khan on economic grounds when Johnson did such a piss poor job

Johnson no longer does us the favour of being "disingenuous". He just lies.
    "no longer"? Dishonesty is in his DNA. He has always lied and always will. He is disingenuous even by the low standard of the people he surrounds himself with.
  • Options
    https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/21/covid-vaccine-immunisation-protection

Essential reading on the non-magic-bullet nature of vaccines. "If politicians are telling us that the present impositions on our lives are only going to last until we have vaccines, then the reality is that a false hope is being promulgated."
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The details of the settlement is pretty key as to whether this is a triumph or a surrender to get headlines pre election
  • Options

IanB2 said:

It really isn't.

I know a bloke up there. Lovely bloke; can go on a bit at times.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1318888169950093317

Compassion. What an odd hill to die on, again!

Looks like the "Nasty Party" are well and truly back. Don't care about the poor. Don't care about the North.

Once the buzz of Brexit has worn off they will struggle to hold onto their vote.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Awks...

Take a look at her now, he is probably thinking .
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/21/covid-vaccine-immunisation-protection

Essential reading on the non-magic-bullet nature of vaccines. "If politicians are telling us that the present impositions on our lives are only going to last until we have vaccines, then the reality is that a false hope is being promulgated."

Absolutely true, but if the vaccine takes the incidence down and reduces the severity then normal life approaches, albeit some stuff might take a while to get closer to normal.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Despite what Casino said earlier, there is money being made on the £ today. Markets clearly sniff a deal in the offing.

Even if they do it doesn't mean there is a deal in the offing; the currency markets have called several things badly wrong in recent years and I'd caution anyone in 'following' them.

That said I was clear in my view last week that all the Punch and Judy was carefully choreographed to create the political space for a deal to be signed on both sides of the channel and I still expect there to be one.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,844

I know I'm from Lancashire (or "Greater Manchester" as chunks of it have now been renamed). But even I find it a little off-putting to hear Rayner mutter "scum" in that accent.

Well, she is Chesher (as opposed to Chesh-ire) after all.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:
    Careful exegesis of these words will show them to be entirely consistent with the essentials of the traditional Roman Catholic position. It neither endorses or permits homosexual sexual activity or marriage.
    I'd say it does endorse the carnal side of it.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

Awks...

Take a look at her now, he is probably thinking .
    Well, it's his fault. He shouldn't have been such an easy lover.
  • Options
    Someone check on Horse - that could push him over the edge...
  • Options
    Lol despite all the endless wailing and gnashing of teeth from the left on social media, Boris is still 6% ahead.

Time to dial it up to 11.
  • Options
    Have all the phone lines gone down in the NW?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

I know I'm from Lancashire (or "Greater Manchester" as chunks of it have now been renamed). But even I find it a little off-putting to hear Rayner mutter "scum" in that accent.

Well, she is Chesher (as opposed to Chesh-ire) after all.
    Indeed. 6 miles separate Manchester City Centre and Stockport Town Centre. One is Lancashire. The other is Cheshire darling. None of this Greater Manchester nonsense.
  • Options
    Must be all the pensioners giving Johnson credit for locking down Wales.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Roger said:

Please miss, please miss, she called me scum, miss......
  • Options
    Fieldwork 16-18 October though
  • Options

Have all the phone lines gone down in the NW?
    Another pollster has observed that it is likely most of the fieldwork will have been carried out before the weekend.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

"All current approaches seem reactive and focused only on the next few weeks."

Fair enough, but there is a huge class of problems to which reactive, short term approaches are all that's available: shaving one's face, mowing one's lawn, cleaning one's house, painting the Forth Bridge. A long-term framework within which to take repeated temporary remedial action may be all that's available. Certainly there has been concerted action in the last month to introduce us to the idea that taking a vaccine may be just an enhancement of the current strategy rather than a replacement of it.

To modify your metaphor - new technology has enabled the painters to take quite long breaks off painting the Forth Bridge. Which extends it nicely, of course, to the vaccine being an enhancement and partial replacement ...
    But the house-cleaning thing is intractable. No matter how scrupulously you do it, in six months' time you have to do it all over again.
    Quentin Crisp took a different view. His theory was that housework is pointless because you always have to do it all over again.

"There is no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse."

I suppose applying this to the pandemic is to argue for a "let it rip" approach.

Outre - but that's Quentin for you.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    alex_ said:

Must be all the pensioners giving Johnson credit for locking down Wales.
    A virtual fiefdom there - particularly the north.
  • Options

Lancashire?

Were you here for the 'northerners are parochial' chat?

I only ask because it was 'renamed' 46 years ago.
  • Options
    Almost 78,000 Wisconsin voters have hand delivered their mail in ballots straight to the clerk's office.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,301

Roger said:

Honestly, it's rather refreshing to hear one of the lying, dissembling, shady morons that gets sent out to do this stuff called exactly what he is. Entirely happy with gunning down the messenger.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Awks...

Sad to see. He did some good work. That percussive explosion in the middle of "I Can Feel It (coming in the air tonight)" can even now get me sitting up and smashing a set of imaginary drums if I've had a few.
    That's got to be a euphemism for something.
    Don't think so. Collins didn't go in for that. His stuff does what it says on the tin.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126

IanB2 said:

It really isn't.

We have enough Nimbyism over the current local plan and extra houses as it is, we cannot accomodate many more, Epping of course is in zone 6 and in Essex not in London
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Most of the Rochdalians (and I married one) I know don't regard Rochdale as being 'Manchester'. It's Lancashire.
  • Options
    At last they're updating the dashboard. I'm not sure i could have held out much longer.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,127
    A return to form from Comedy Results.
  • Options
    26,688 new cases
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

It really isn't.

We have enough Nimbyism over the current local plan and extra houses as it is, we cannot accomodate many more, Epping of course is in zone 6 and in Essex not in London
    But it is Tier Two and in it with London.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I'm only willing to accept the extreme restrictions that we are under on the basis that they are temporary. If the government do not have a planned way to bring them to an end then they will come to an end in an unplanned way.

The former is better than the latter. So I hope the government have done some thinking ahead on this.
  • Options
    guybrushguybrush Posts: 237
    IshmaelZ said:

There's a balancing act between the harm inflicted by Covid, and the harm created by non pharmaceutical interventions intended to reduce the spread of Covid.

At the moment there seems to be a consensus in favour of continued restrictions. There's a possibility, surely, that a vaccine (even one with limited effectiveness and take-up) will tip the balance. The author doesn't appear to entertain that possibility.

It seems clear public opinion is already shifting slowly, and that will surely continue as government support tapers off (assuming no U-turn from Sunak) and the long term impact of restrictions on the economy and society becomes clear.

Reminds me of a concept in Health and Safety Law - ALARP: risk should be reduced to a level considered "As Low as Reasonably Practicable". Of course, what is reasonable and practicable is subjective.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

26,688 new cases

Not good
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

It really isn't.

But it is Tier Two and in it with London.
    Tier 2
This discussion has been closed.