Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A year is a long time in politics. Your regular reminder that the betting markets do get it wrong. –

Comments

• alex_ said:

- 1 month ago Govt introduce "rule of 6", briefing that this sets the framework for social contact for the foreseeable future - possibly until March. And urge people to follow the rules to prevent the need for tighter restrictions
    - A week later all the universities start going back, which in campus environments especially, involves (new) social mixing between multiple households of far greater than 6 people as a default position
    - Case numbers go through the roof
    - Govt reimposes full lockdown restrictions across much of the country seeking to blame the population for failing to heed their warnings to follow the rules.

You forgot, Johnson and co briefing to get back to work
    He also forgot Sir Keir Starmer arguing vociferously against government decisions on Covid, warning against the catastrophe that would follow, and then voting against them all. Oh wait...
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

alex_ said:

- 1 month ago Govt introduce "rule of 6", briefing that this sets the framework for social contact for the foreseeable future - possibly until March. And urge people to follow the rules to prevent the need for tighter restrictions
    - A week later all the universities start going back, which in campus environments especially, involves (new) social mixing between multiple households of far greater than 6 people as a default position
    - Govt reimposes full lockdown restrictions across much of the country seeking to blame the population for failing to heed their warnings to follow the rules.

That was earlier, and at least at a point when they appeared to think the virus was in remission.
  • LadyG said:

LadyG said:

To entwine two themes, I reckon Priti Patel would make an exellent London mayor. She is characterful, punchy, optimistic and energetic. She has that irrepressible London spirit by which the city has endured and survived 2000 years. She is, also, a born Londoner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priti_Patel

She hates everything that makes London, London.
    She is from a hardworking immigrant background, she came through horrible racism and misogyny, and yet despite all that she has become the first female BAME Home Secretary. She's got spirit and ambition and she's done great. I like her.

She is quintessentially London.

Remember this brilliant, passionate, off-the-cuff speech of hers, in the Commons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohXxmD78ZCo
    Are we talking about the same Priti Patel Sean or are you on a wind up.

She hates immigrants. She hates London.
  • alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Do people who think Johnson was a good Mayor actually live in London, he was dreadful.

Khan isn't great, he's like a 5/10 but he's solidly better than Johnson.

If somebody could list some Johnson London achievements that he didn't steal from Ken, I would love to hear them

They're both awful. Johnson got away with it because he didn't actually do very much. Other than chuck away a load of money on vanity projects.

Khan managed to bring TfL to the brink of bankruptcy (and that was before Covid).
    TfL was on the right track to run a surplus in just a few years.
    He brought it to the brink of bankruptcy at which point he was forced into implementing enormous budget cuts. Important transport projects all over London had to be cancelled almost overnight. It wasn't as if he inherited a total mess (albeit some of Johnson's vanity projects didn't help) and has been plotting it on a steady course back to self-sufficiency.
    No he hadn't.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,029

But then Ken had a Labour Government who at least were on the same side as him.

Khan has been kneecapped from day one.

If you recall Livingstone started mayoral life as an Independent, defeating the hapless Charles Clarke as I recall.

Ah, the good old days where mad Trots were sidelined out of the party!
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

As we come out of COVID, we need to have a serious discussion about legalising cannabis

Yeah. Everyone being stoned will do wonders for economic recovery, takeaway munchies in particular.
    What’s your view on legalisation of cannabis Foxy - from a medical rather than moral perspective?
    I am for decriminalisation as a criminal record is a considerable factor in marginalisation of black and working class youths, and civil fines reduced by rehab ala speed awareness courses.

Not legalisation though, as I have seen too many lives ruined by drugs, including cannabis. I mean not just the lives of adults themselves, but also their families, partners and children. Drugs are a social evil.
    Presumably you don’t drink then?
    I do drink alcohol, but like my gambling, would stop if it was affecting others adversely. My experience of drug users is that they do not.
    I suspect your experience is limited to extreme cases that interface with the NHS. Many drug users of all stripes live good, normal lives.
    In part it is, but also direct experience from old schoolfriends.

One of my neighbours spent 4 months as an inpatient with a paranoid cannabis psychosis, and was catatonic for part of it. His devoted wife and primary school aged children visited, but found it very difficult. When he was discharged and detoxed he drifted back to it. His wife said "its the cannabis or the family" he chose the cannabis. She remarried, but now one of her sons has followed his fathers path.
    I don't know if my susceptibility or the product has changed, but there is no comparison between the mild wooziness i was getting at Oxford 40 years ago and the insane, virtually hallucinatory off ones titsness i experience these days. Or rather I don't, because although it is pleasurable it also feels too dangerous to continue with.
  • alex_ said:

He also forgot Sir Keir Starmer arguing vociferously against government decisions on Covid, warning against the catastrophe that would follow, and then voting against them all. Oh wait...
    I'm not a representative for Keir.

I said we were coming out of the lockdown too quickly.

I'm actually against the Labour line on this, I would have supported more strict measures from July onwards.
  • But then Ken had a Labour Government who at least were on the same side as him.

If you recall Livingstone started mayoral life as an Independent, defeating the hapless Charles Clarke as I recall.

He did - but at least he was ideologically Labour like the Government was.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,191
    Business leaders are mounting a legal challenge the government’s lockdown restrictions, which they say have decimated the hospitality industry.

The challenge to the legality of emergency legislation is due to be handed to Downing Street on Monday as swathes of the country prepared for stricter lockdown rules.
  • alex_ said:

alex_ said:

That was earlier, and at least at a point when they appeared to think the virus was in remission.
    Cases were already rising when they started moronically briefing.

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

To entwine two themes, I reckon Priti Patel would make an exellent London mayor. She is characterful, punchy, optimistic and energetic. She has that irrepressible London spirit by which the city has endured and survived 2000 years. She is, also, a born Londoner.

She is from a hardworking immigrant background, she came through horrible racism and misogyny, and yet despite all that she has become the first female BAME Home Secretary. She's got spirit and ambition and she's done great. I like her.

Remember this brilliant, passionate, off-the-cuff speech of hers, in the Commons

...but she does like hanging and flogging.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

No, in his first term Labour made his life very hard. It was only because they knew they couldn't beat him in 2004 that they had him back as the Labour candidate.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Cases were already rising when they started moronically briefing.
    The ONS figures suggest it was flat. The cases were rising because of the slow increase in testing.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Are you the same person as you were six years ago? 100% unchanged.

Since this encounter Patel has come out against death penalty because Hislop convinced her. That makes me respect her more, that someone can have strong opinions, but be shown the error of their ways and then rather than digging in can acknowledge that and move on.

But instead people still act as if she hasn't changed since then.
    But how thick do you have to be, not to have thought of Hislop's points before having them put to you on QT by Hislop? The only way round the miscarriage argument is to concede they will happen, and say tough, collateral damage, omelettes and eggs, net benefit, and sometimes the victim had it coming anyway (Christie and Evans).

For avoidance of doubt i am outlining, not endorsing, that line of argument.
    Because 99% of the time people don't debate that point so it is simple to overlook.

Most of the argument is about whether it is appropriate to execute killers or not, whether it is acceptable for the state to kill the worst crimininals or not. The miscarriage argument doesn't actually come up that often, but it is the reason I oppose the death penalty.
    Really? Despite Evans?
  • MaxPB said:

No, in his first term Labour made his life very hard. It was only because they knew they couldn't beat him in 2004 that they had him back as the Labour candidate.
    He was on the left, the Government was on the left.

Khan is on the left, Johnson and co are on the right.

Ken had overlap, it was undoubtedly easier and more productive, despite Blair's moronic attempts to get rid of him.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,089

Livingstone and Blair were most certainly not on the same side, at least not in Livingstone’s first term.
  • We have been living under it for two weeks here in Wales as directed by Drakeford of the labour party
    Have we? My understanding is we can still go to pubs and restaurants within Welsh Government guidance. We can shop to our hearts content

I have not been stopped entering or leaving my area, or for that matter entering or leaving Wales.

I agree these restrictions are not as well thought through as the earlier 5 mile rule, which was enforced.

You are giving the impression we are policed by the Stasi.

By the way what do you want?
    Drakeford's resignation not just over covid but health and education
  • Good.

Anyone sane should want that.
  • ydoethur said:

Livingstone and Blair were most certainly not on the same side, at least not in Livingstone’s first term.
    They were both on the left, undoubtedly more overlap than Khan and Johnson.

Frank Dobson, not Charles Clarke.
  • As a leftist, I am glad to see the democrats slowly moving to the left.

ydoethur said:

Tony Blair was on the left? Corbyn spent years telling us he was a Thatcherite...

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

It being a weekend evening, I expect Sean is on another wind up. But as a fair weather Londoner, he is hardly well qualified to make the call, anyway.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Tony Blair was on the left? Corbyn spent years telling us he was a Thatcherite...
    Corbyn was wrong.

You'll recall even during Corbyn's time I praised Blair. He was elected three times and did a lot of good, how can you hate that?
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Corbyn was wrong.

You'll recall even during Corbyn's time I praised Blair. He was elected three times and did a lot of good, how can you hate that?
    For Labour he wasn't too bad, just a shame he allowed Brown to overspend so much.

MaxPB said:

He was on the left, the Government was on the left.

Khan is on the left, Johnson and co are on the right.

Ken had overlap, it was undoubtedly easier and more productive, despite Blair's moronic attempts to get rid of him.
    I remember Ken's first term, Labour tried everything they could to make him look like a loser for the second term before giving up and accepting him as their candidate rather than lose to him again.

He was actually an independent and for a big part of his first term they made him live by that. Even in the second term he wasn't exactly best friends with central government, if anything Boris had a better relationship with them than Ken because he was very flexible wrt policy goals (not actually having any).

Frank Dobson?
  • LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    ydoethur said:

Dobbo Dobson. Ah, memories. Of him and his multi bedroom council flat.... opposite the British Museum. Nice gig he got there.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Corbyn was wrong.

For Labour he wasn't too bad, just a shame he allowed Brown to overspend so much.
    Brown didn't overspend.
    edited October 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Corbyn was wrong.

He was undoubtedly a formidable politician and an unparalleled election winning machine.

Shame about all the mistakes he made...
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,797
    I think it's more prosaic - there are exploding infection rates in places like Leigh (ca. 250 per 100k).

The universities provided some spectacular numbers for a very small number of neighbourhoods, but account for no more than about 15% of infections nationally.

Schools consumed the testing regime, but (based on the 3 institutions I know of) their infection rates seem a little lower than the communities they sit in.

Yes, between them they consume a decent slice of the social contact budget, but normal people working, living and socialising, substantially within the rules, is the boring, boring truth of what is driving the largest slice at the moment.

But that's not as sexy as blamestorming.
  • LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

Dobbo Dobson. Ah, memories. Of him and his multi bedroom council flat.... opposite the British Museum. Nice gig he got there.
    On the sauce then Sean?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,392
    edited October 2020
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Corbyn was wrong.

He was undoubtedly a formidable politician and an unparalleled election winning machine.

He also did a lot of good.
  • Pro_Rata said:

I think it's more prosaic - there are exploding infection rates in places like Leigh (ca. 250 per 100k).

The universities provided some spectacular numbers for a very small number of neighbourhoods, but account for no more than about 15% of infections nationally.

Schools consumed the testing regime, but (based on the 3 institutions I know of) their infection rates seem a little lower than the communities they sit in.

Yes, between them they consume a decent slice of the social contact budget, but normal people working, living and socialising, substantially within the rules, is the boring, boring truth of what is driving the largest slice at the moment.

It's just denial, cases are rising because the virus is out of control. We never got it under control. End of story.
  • Andy_JS said:
    I think she's a rubbish MP but she doesn't deserve that kind of abuse.
    ydoethur said:

Oh yeah. But then they were all beardy nonentities that merged into grey porridge.
  • Pro_Rata said:

It's just denial, cases are rising because the virus is out of control. We never got it under control. End of story.
    Do you think France, Spain, Holland or Belgium ever had it under control? And if so how come their infection rates are rising so quickly? Come to that, did Germany? Has any country in Europe really got it under control now?

Pro_Rata said:

Do you think France, Spain, Holland or Belgium ever had it under control? And if so how come their infection rates are rising so quickly? Come to that, did Germany? Has any country in Europe really got it under control now?
    Nobody will have it under control until we have a vaccine.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Corbyn was wrong.

He removed Saddam.
    His thread mostly recommends a highly beefed up test and trace programme - i.e. what the government said it would do, after the first wave, but has failed so dismally to deliver.

The news that symptomatic people have been sent in their hundreds over on the ferry to the island for testing during September is shocking.
    Eyeing a chart I've just seen I think we have a doubling time of 11 days at the moment, but the Tuesday numbers will tell the full story.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Corbyn was wrong.

Blair will never be rewarded with a title like all other former Prime Ministers will like Boris, May and Cameron. Why? One word, Iraq!
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,816
    Evening all :)

I imagine it's been mentioned an ABC News poll in mid October 2016 had Clinton twelve points ahead of Trump.

https://www.langerresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/1218a12020ElectionUpdate.pdf

The detail in the piece is illuminating and well worth a read. It's certainly far from over for Trump though he needs to find the game-changing narrative quickly. The economy in a normal year would be a big help but it's not a normal year. It's also interesting to see Biden getting traction in groups which have not been as supportive of any Democrat for some time.

On the back of the latest poll, I've moved Nevada back into the Blue column from TCTC - I'm now at 290-161 to Biden with 87 in the TCTC column. I have to say if we are looking at a 5% swing to the Democrats from 2016, the battleground becomes Iowa, Georgia, Ohio and Texas.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Corbyn was wrong.

He removed Saddam.
    Oooh you tease you.
  • Pro_Rata said:

We had this argument earlier, countries in the world have got it under control. We also could have done.
    Scott_xP said:
    It should be worthwhile asking the question of the Government:

Are further, tighter, restrictions necessary because the current rules (if followed) are inadequate, or because the current rules are not being followed by enough people.

And if the latter, why do they think that the people not following the current rules, will follow the new ones? Especially as things like large scale household mixing without social distancing in private houses are far far more difficult to enforce than in pubs and restaurants.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,565
    So we've had a ban on visiting other households across swathes of the north for months and folk have just got on with it.

Now there is a rumour that the same might apply in London and you'd think it was the end of days.

• ladupnorthladupnorth Posts: 93
    edited October 2020

Pro_Rata said:

We had this argument earlier, countries in the world have got it under control. We also could have done.
    Which European countries have it under control then? Come on, name them.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    It sometimes feels like here in Dorset we're living in a different world to much of the UK.

Lunch on the Quay today, and it was glorious. Nice clean restaurant, eating outside. Lovely food. Some someshine.

Uplifting for the soul. I very much hope we're at Tier 1 after tomorrow.

Pro_Rata said:

Which European countries have it under control then?
    See graph up page

So we've had a ban on visiting other households across swathes of the north for months and folk have just got on with it.

Now there is a rumour that the same might apply in London and you'd think it was the end of days.

Well it is, for people in London. If the hardy Northeners are OK with it, that's up to them. I think they should be extremely peed off about the way they are being treated.
    edited October 2020

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Corbyn was wrong.

Blair will never be rewarded with a title like all other former Prime Ministers will like Boris, May and Cameron. Why? One word, Iraq!
    Not all. Churchill, Heath and Major refused peerages. And Macmillan took 21 years to accept one.

Odd to reflect they’re all Tories. All Labour PMs to Blair (MacDonald aside) had peerages.

Pro_Rata said:

Norway, Cyprus, Estonia?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,478
    IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

It being a weekend evening, I expect Sean is on another wind up. But as a fair weather Londoner, he is hardly well qualified to make the call, anyway.
    To be fair, a large proportion of Londoners were born elsewhere, and retire elsewhere. For many of us, Sean included, London is a phase and way point rather than a destination.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,392
    edited October 2020
    Mortimer said:

It sometimes feels like here in Dorset we're living in a different world to much of the UK.

Lunch on the Quay today, and it was glorious. Nice clean restaurant, eating outside. Lovely food. Some someshine.

Dorset probably has the highest standard of living of any county in England. Officially places like Surrey and Bucks are wealthier but the population density is a lot higher.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Andy_JS said:

Mortimer said:

Dorset probably has the highest standard of living of any county in England.
    Probably trailing most of the home counties I suspect, but yes, we are tremendously lucky.
  • IanB2 said:

Pro_Rata said:

See graph up page
    I'm not seeing any European country that has the virus under control. Perhaps you can tell me otherwise. If you are suggesting Germany and Ireland have the virus under control I shall have to beg to differ.
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

I imagine it's been mentioned an ABC News poll in mid October 2016 had Clinton twelve points ahead of Trump.

https://www.langerresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/1218a12020ElectionUpdate.pdf

The detail in the piece is illuminating and well worth a read. It's certainly far from over for Trump though he needs to find the game-changing narrative quickly. The economy in a normal year would be a big help but it's not a normal year. It's also interesting to see Biden getting traction in groups which have not been as supportive of any Democrat for some time.

On the back of the latest poll, I've moved Nevada back into the Blue column from TCTC - I'm now at 290-161 to Biden with 87 in the TCTC column. I have to say if we are looking at a 5% swing to the Democrats from 2016, the battleground becomes Iowa, Georgia, Ohio and Texas.

How much though was Clinton ultimately hampered by a thought that she had it in the bag, and people really didn't want to wear the nose pegs to vote for her? Voters aren't going to take the same chance this time.

So Trump may still have a chance - but lots of the conditions allowing the polls to be wrong last time might not be there this time.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,518
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'd be very surprised if you can produce evidence that Corbyn ever called Blair a Thatcherite, actually. Can you?
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

To be fair, a large proportion of Londoners were born elsewhere, and retire elsewhere. For many of us, Sean included, London is a phase and way point rather than a destination.
    Unlike this Sean character, I was born within 20 yards of Bow Bells. Literally. I was delivered in the transept of St Mary Le Bow, to my costermonger mother and a pearly king father.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    This is the bargaining stage.

In reality Biden is running on a platform way left of Obama. He's folded in key Sanders and Warren policies to his own.

The desperate scramble odnthe right to try and define Biden's win (if he does) will be a sight to behold.

If he loses the likes of Harwood will be calling him a socialist.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,234

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Does twitter know something we don't?
    Recovering from the virus doesn't give you immunity, that has been disproven.

There are many documented cases now of people getting it twice. One of my wife's colleagues currently has it for the second time (PCR-test positive both times, months of weekly testing in-between saying negative).
    It is, however, comparatively rare.
    Indeed. Rare but not impossible.
    Manaus is giving cause for concern on that front.
    https://www.ft.com/content/5b96ee2d-9ced-46ae-868f-43c9d8df1ecb
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

That's the difference between London proper and not.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I'd be very surprised if you can produce evidence that Corbyn ever called Blair a Thatcherite, actually. Can you?
    Not in so many words. However, Blair himself was in no doubt as to what Corbyn meant:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair-decides-set-record-21336588
    As I sit here in apparently plague-ravaged Newham where, so some would have you believe, I am fighting my zombie neighbours and stepping over the bodies of the newly deceased to scrap for the last loaf of stale bread (so I've been told), the only comfort I am allowed to draw from the impending catastrophe is that I'm glad I don't live in Redbridge where it's really bad.

At least if Bailey were mayor, there'd be a policeman on every street corner - not quite sure what said officer would be doing but I'd draw comfort in my last hours knowing I would die adequately policed.

Back in what passes for reality unless you've fled to some rural sanctuary (or South Wales) to avoid the imminent apocalypse, the impending Tier 3 Lockdown proposals are serious if your life revolves around the pub or a restaurant (if you're more into café culture as most Newham residents are in my experience, we'll be able to enjoy our morning full English, cappuccino and philosophical discussions unhindered), it looks ominous and for those on here who know or are involved with owners of such establishments, you have my genuine sympathy and hope that this ramshackle disorganisation of a Government can offer some financial solace.

I noted bookmakers were included in the list of premises to close - while not quite an extinction-level event, it will have impacts on the horse racing industry which has survived largely thanks to the largesse of owners (paying to keep horses in training) and punters (betting on racing and funding the levy).
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Are further, tighter, restrictions necessary because the current rules (if followed) are inadequate, or because the current rules are not being followed by enough people.

And if the latter, why do they think that the people not following the current rules, will follow the new ones? Especially as things like large scale household mixing without social distancing in private houses are far far more difficult to enforce than in pubs and restaurants.
    I suppose actually closing hospitality can be enforced much more easily than domestic gatherings.

I agree that without widespread consent that measures are doomed though.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Corbyn was wrong.

Not all. Churchill, Heath and Major refused peerages. And Macmillan took 21 years to accept one.

Odd to reflect they’re all Tories. All Labour PMs to Blair (MacDonald aside) had peerages.
    All have been enob ed with knighthoods, and why not, so long as the system remains.

Johnson, May and Cameron will earn titles. Blair and Brown (would both love a title) will not get them, justifiably because they caused the deaths of thousands of British, Iraqis and Americans.
    edited October 2020
    Check this. Sturgeon is normally so unflappable

https://twitter.com/CraigMurrayOrg/status/1315245669808996358?s=20

I have seldom observed a senior politician so clearly lying
  • IanB2 said:

Pro_Rata said:

See graph up page
    The off topic bot is back then!
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,518
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Not in so many words. However, Blair himself was in no doubt as to what Corbyn meant:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair-decides-set-record-21336588
    Thanks, I thought I was right! I've no time for Corbyn at all, but he was actually much more cautious in his critique of Blair than most of his followers (except over Iraq).

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Corbyn was wrong.

He removed Saddam.
    ...who was "innocent" of the charges Blair levelled against him.
  • LadyG said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Unlike this Sean character, I was born within 20 yards of Bow Bells. Literally. I was delivered in the transept of St Mary Le Bow, to my costermonger mother and a pearly king father.
    Sean, I do like how you play along. You are most entertaining
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,827
    Omnishambles

https://twitter.com/JenWilliamsMEN/status/1315384794084184072

From bean to cup, they fuck up...
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

I suppose actually closing hospitality can be enforced much more easily than domestic gatherings.

I agree that without widespread consent that measures are doomed though.
    The problem is more nuanced. I said back in August IF we faced a second wave, the public would only have themselves to blame. There is (at least in East London) a substantial minority who simply will not comply with any of the regulations on offer. No mask wearing, no social distancing, nothing.

The Standard noted on Friday what while observance of mask wearing in many parts of the Underground was good, East London (and especially Canning Town) was a big problem area. Now, I see this and what I also see for all the signs and notices (in all the languages) is not a scintilla of enforcement. I've yet to see anyone thrown out of Tesco's, Sainsbury's, Iceland or anywhere else for not wearing a mask.

And yet...

Those who say retail is doomed are obviously not visiting East Ham High Street - the double unit which was Carphone Warehouse is going to be a fish bazaar and a homeware store has taken over another double unit. The ships don't stay empty for long - there seem plenty willing to open new businesses.

That's capitalism for you - adversity creates opportunity.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,827
    LadyG said:

https://hipsterttoi.tumblr.com/post/51038330891
    Scott_xP said:
    Lol, what a sh*tshow. Sounds as if Liverpool are refusing to play ball unless the financial package is upped. But clearly any financial package can't be specific to Liverpool and would set a precedent for the rest of the country (it would also presumably have an impact on what is going on in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). And if the Treasury are refusing to budge, the Government are having to reduce the number of businesses affected to compensate.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,978
    LadyG said:

I have seldom seem a senior politician so clearly lying
    There's a sizeable minority in the independence movement who are convinced Sturgeon is a closet unionist and that she needs to be removed.
    edited October 2020
    To be fair, @LadyG does know the way to the National Liberal Club.
    Scott_xP said:

LadyG said:

https://hipsterttoi.tumblr.com/post/51038330891
    The SNP is "lucky" this is all happening during Covid. It is a huge scandal. Sturgeon is lying, it is obvious she is lying and she's lying about something deeply serious. And her accuser is the ex First Minister, and ex leader of the SNP, the biggest name in Scot Nationalist politics.

Can she survive? For the first time, I have my doubts. If we weren't all distracted by the Great Ague, I would argue she's toast.

edited October 2020
    LadyG said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

I know that you have joined the board since @SeanT departed, but he did claim to be Cornish. Of course he could have been making it up, being a notorious fantasist.
  • Hearing that Manc & London both tier 2 according to friends on WhatsApp.

https://twitter.com/bevcraig/status/1315352292082806784
  • LadyG said:

Is blinking the new polygraph test for lying? Priti Patel can reintroduce hanging tomorrow! Now we've found this infallible test, there can be no more miscarriages of justice.
    edited October 2020
    Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

I know that you have joined the board since @SeanT departed, but he did claim to be Cornish. Of course he could have been making it up, being a notorious fantasist.
    I think that's what I find most objectionable when I am constantly linked to this shady novelist character. He was clearly a fraud and a drunk, and had, quite frankly, a rather predatory attitude to attractive young women. As a lesbian painter of the Noble Newt, I also have an interest in female beauty, but I am a model of decorum and barely drink more than a tankard of poteen a night. The comparison irks.
    LadyG said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Was you father's seminal work on the world of the pearly kings, a book called Ararat?
    Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

SeanT is definitely Cornish. That definitely wasn't made up.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    NY Times following up on the Trump taxes

https://twitter.com/AlbertoCairo/status/1315099502819209217?s=19
  • LadyG said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

I think that's what I find most objectionable when I am constantly linked to this shady novelist character. He was clearly a fraud and a drunk, and had, quite frankly, a rather predatory attitude to attractive young women. As a lesbian painter of the Noble Newt, I also have an interest in female beauty, but I am a model of decorum and barely drink more than a tankard of poteen a night. The comparison irks.
    I am in tears
  • Hearing that Manc & London both tier 2 according to friends on WhatsApp.

https://twitter.com/bevcraig/status/1315352292082806784

Earlier I predicted Liverpool at 3 and Manchester 2

And not football

LadyG said:

Is blinking the new polygraph test for lying? Priti Patel can reintroduce hanging tomorrow! Now we've found this infallible test, there can be no more miscarriages of justice.
    Well, yes. It's a known psychological fact that rapid blinking is a tell-tale sign of lying.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/let-their-words-do-the-talking/201405/just-the-bat-eye

"Liars tend to blink more because lying is stressful. Under stress, eye blink rate increases (Mann, 2013)"
This discussion has been closed.