Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A year is a long time in politics. Your regular reminder that the betting markets do get it wrong. –

Comments

• Options

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Does twitter know something we don't?
    Recovering from the virus doesn't give you immunity, that has been disproven.

There are many documented cases now of people getting it twice. One of my wife's colleagues currently has it for the second time (PCR-test positiveoth times, months of weekly testing in-between saying negative).
    You are too absolute - the people getting it twice might have been the result of false positives of which there are many
    They're not all false positives.

It is certainly possible to get a false positive if you've had it before, but it is also possible to get it a second time. As I said, my wife works with someone has it for a second time, months after the first time.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Has anyone clarified the rules on whether you can meet somebody in a pub for work purposes?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

There are many documented cases now of people getting it twice. One of my wife's colleagues currently has it for the second time (PCR-test positiveoth times, months of weekly testing in-between saying negative).
    You are too absolute - the people getting it twice might have been the result of false positives of which there are many
    That is wrong. There are cases where the genome of the virus in each infection has been sequenced and shown to be different.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

As we come out of COVID, we need to have a serious discussion about legalising cannabis

Yeah. Everyone being stoned will do wonders for economic recovery, takeaway munchies in particular.
    Perhaps won't do as well for the woeful productivity numbers however.
    But with everyone stoned, no one will care anymore. Apart from the paranoid psychotics of course.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Sort of on topic

I was looking at the details of that Baldwin poll of the Great Lakes. Maybe I read it wrong but the male / female voting differences looked nowhere near as dramatic as some of the national polls (looked more like high single digit, maybe low DD leads - on my mobile so hard to check now)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

It is certainly possible to get a false positive if you've had it before, but it is also possible to get it a second time. As I said, my wife works with someone has it for a second time, months after the first time.
    Have there been studies showing significant numbers of people are getting reinfected? This has completely passed me by if so, and is very worrying.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551

As we come out of COVID, we need to have a serious discussion about legalising cannabis

It causes mental health problems in many people.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Foxy said:

Yeah. Everyone being stoned will do wonders for economic recovery, takeaway munchies in particular.
    What’s your view on legalisation of cannabis Foxy - from a medical rather than moral perspective?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

So does alcohol.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

LadyG said:

LadyG said:
    Tier 3 is far, far more serious than Tier 2 but expect London-centric people to obsess over London going into Tier 2 if it happens, rather than the more serious implications across much of the rest of the country.
    Not being able to mix in households in London makes being there almost pointless for me. I and others will leave if/when this comes in, I'd rather isolate in the countryside (luckily I am able to do so).
    It's also pointless if, at the same time, they keep the schools open.
    The boffins did warn us; wanting to reopen schools is morally the right thing to do, but it will use up a lot of the social contact budget, so other things might have to close to compensate.

Those of us who work in schools pointed out that, however good the plans, putting loads of snot-encrusted whelps in crowded Victorian buildings with poor ventilation, or crowded modern buildings with no ventilation, was asking for trouble.

And here we are.
    There is little evidence of transmission in school-aged children. A lot have had tests, they mostly just have a cold https://www.tes.com/news/whitty-covid-rates-not-rising-school-age-children
    If we had to close everything but essential retail to keep the schools open, I still think that would be the best course of action. The long term repercussions of years of lost education don't bear thinking about....
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

So does alcohol.
    And the lack of alcohol! Seriously cannabis is hardly poison .
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:
    Tier 3 is far, far more serious than Tier 2 but expect London-centric people to obsess over London going into Tier 2 if it happens, rather than the more serious implications across much of the rest of the country.
    No mixing of households though. The Rule of Six has already gravely impacted my sex life, this will kill it off. If anyone obeys.

And does it mean you can't see friends in bars or restaurants? I don't understand.
    As someone who has been effectively in tier 2 in Wales for the last couple of weeks, that's exactly what it means.

Of course no-one here who is still going to pubs and restaurants is paying a blind bit of notice to that requirement, and in my experience most pubs and restaurants are operating a don't ask, don't tell policy.
    That's all very well, until the police start carrying out spot checks...
    Good luck with that. The police have better things to do. It's undoubtedly put some people off going to the pub, but I sat in a restaurant last week with my better half. We were undoubtedly the only single household in the entire place and the same has applied to pubs to.

If the police aren't doing spot checks in Cardiff, I can't see them doing spot checks in any tier 2 cities in England.

They are more interested in house parties and youths breaching the rule of 6.
    Not sure - depends whether the media are eager to publish stories of Londoners not following the rules. Of course reporting people in other cities not following the rules would actually require travelling outside of London, so easier to fly under the radar...
    Fair point. Of course, it's entirely possible that the journalists frequenting the pub are as likely not obeying the letter of this unenforceable restriction in the same way practically everyone else of pub and restaurant going age is.
  • Options
    3ChordTrick3ChordTrick Posts: 98
    edited October 2020
    alex_ said:

Has anyone clarified the rules on whether you can meet somebody in a pub for work purposes?

Again I can only speak from my experience in lockdown Wales, which is broadly a couple of weeks ahead of the tier 2 type restrictions about to be imposed.

Work meetings are an exception and you could technically meet in the pub.

But as I've said previously and Foxy confirmed from lockdown Leicester the rules on out of household mixing in pubs and restaurants are unenforceable and practically have not been applied. Don't ask, don't tell.

Those running pubs and restaurants are understandably turning a blind eye and I don't believe there is any desire by the police to enforce them either.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:
    No mixing of households though. The Rule of Six has already gravely impacted my sex life, this will kill it off. If anyone obeys.

And does it mean you can't see friends in bars or restaurants? I don't understand.
    As someone who has been effectively in tier 2 in Wales for the last couple of weeks, that's exactly what it means.

Of course no-one here who is still going to pubs and restaurants is paying a blind bit of notice to that requirement, and in my experience most pubs and restaurants are operating a don't ask, don't tell policy.
    Good luck with that. The police have better things to do. It's undoubtedly put some people off going to the pub, but I sat in a restaurant last week with my better half. We were undoubtedly the only single household in the entire place and the same has applied to pubs to.

If the police aren't doing spot checks in Cardiff, I can't see them doing spot checks in any tier 2 cities in England.

Not sure - depends whether the media are eager to publish stories of Londoners not following the rules. Of course reporting people in other cities not following the rules would actually require travelling outside of London, so easier to fly under the radar...
    Fair point. Of course, it's entirely possible that the journalists frequenting the pub are as likely not obeying the letter of this unenforceable restriction in the same way practically everyone else of pub and restaurant going age is.
    The media will seek to "expose" widespread flaunting of the law as evidence that the rules introduced by the Govt are nonsensical. However the Govt response is likely to be to demand that the police start enforcing it. And unlike the rule of six in private homes (which is basically unenforceable as police require warrants etc to enter) it will be like shooting fish in a barrel.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Have there been studies showing significant numbers of people are getting reinfected? This has completely passed me by if so, and is very worrying.
    Someone posted something on here from Asia (I think), and I seem to recall the consensus on here was that it wasn't worrying because the people getting it for a second time were asymptomatic.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

could be important for prostitutes (sorry sex workers)
  • Options
    Terrible script, and even I can voice Johnson better than that.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Stocky said:

Foxy said:

What’s your view on legalisation of cannabis Foxy - from a medical rather than moral perspective?
    I am for decriminalisation as a criminal record is a considerable factor in marginalisation of black and working class youths, and civil fines reduced by rehab ala speed awareness courses.

Not legalisation though, as I have seen too many lives ruined by drugs, including cannabis. I mean not just the lives of adults themselves, but also their families, partners and children. Drugs are a social evil.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited October 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

I never thought Spitting image was funny the first time (and I was in my teens !) The only funny bit was a non political one about Steve Davis getting a nickname like Hurricane or Whirlwind and ended up liking the suggestion of "interesting" .
    Bet they dont have snooker featured in this one (shows how big time snooker was in the early 1980s)
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

The media will seek to "expose" widespread flaunting of the law as evidence that the rules introduced by the Govt are nonsensical. However the Govt response is likely to be to demand that the police start enforcing it. And unlike the rule of six in private homes (which is basically unenforceable as police require warrants etc to enter) it will be like shooting fish in a barrel.
    I take the point about London and journos but Cardiff is awash with journos too who would like nothing better to point the finger at the Welsh Government. Hasn't happened.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

I am for decriminalisation as a criminal record is a considerable factor in marginalisation of black and working class youths, and civil fines reduced by rehab ala speed awareness courses.

Not legalisation though, as I have seen too many lives ruined by drugs, including cannabis. I mean not just the lives of adults themselves, but also their families, partners and children. Drugs are a social evil.
    Presumably you don’t drink then?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

There are many documented cases now of people getting it twice. One of my wife's colleagues currently has it for the second time (PCR-test positive both times, months of weekly testing in-between saying negative).
    It is, however, comparatively rare.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I never thought Spitting image was funny the first time (and I was in my teens !)
    Oh? I did, sporadically. "What about the vegetables" was sublime.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

I do drink alcohol, but like my gambling, would stop if it was affecting others adversely. My experience of drug users is that they do not.
  • Options
    What is the legal definition of a small garden? Is this an exemption designed for those with family castles?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

There are many documented cases now of people getting it twice. One of my wife's colleagues currently has it for the second time (PCR-test positive both times, months of weekly testing in-between saying negative).
    Wait, if that is the case surely the herd immunity strategy is a complete non-starter? I thought having the virus gave you antibodies, the same ones that the vaccines are trying to generate?
    Modern vaccines tend to provoke stronger immune reactions than actually getting the disease. Plus:

https://time.com/5882907/covid-19-reinfection/
  • Options
    We have been living under it for two weeks here in Wales as directed by Drakeford of the labour party
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Not significant numbers as far as I know.

But the fact is it is possible and people spreading the idea that it is not possible is misinformation.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Wait, if that is the case surely the herd immunity strategy is a complete non-starter? I thought having the virus gave you antibodies, the same ones that the vaccines are trying to generate?
    Modern vaccines tend to provoke stronger immune reactions than actually getting the disease. Plus:

I was in a meeting with some GP commissioners last week. They have been told to gear up for vaccination in January. The 2 big practical issues are the logistics of ensuring the second dose happens on time, and that some of the candidate vaccines are unstable outside a freezer.

I reckon that we will be in a post second wave trough at about that time.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

So does alcohol. So does gambling. So does loneliness. So does stress.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

I do drink alcohol, but like my gambling, would stop if it was affecting others adversely. My experience of drug users is that they do not.
    I think the rates of life changing negative consequences are pretty similar across gambling, drinking and recreational drug users. All can impact families, partners, children and employment.
  • Options
    Most people in London don't have gardens, where on Earth do they think these meetings are going to take place
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    edited October 2020
    Trump is... for once partially correct. The probability of getting the virus for a second time is much, much lower than a previously uninfected subject. If it wasn't we could bin ALL the work that's gone into vaccines right now. The reinfection rate however does put an upper limit on vaccine efficacy - but it's high.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

I suspect your experience is limited to extreme cases that interface with the NHS. Many drug users of all stripes live good, normal lives.
  • Options
    Yeah the one who encourages neighbours to grass on each other
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

It is, however, comparatively rare.
    Indeed. Rare but not impossible.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078

Presumably if you live close to the London boundary you can just walk out into Free Essex or Free Herts or Free Surrey?

No. If it’s anything like the North East lockdown laws, its based on residency not area. So someone who lives in London but meets someone in Essex is still breaking the law. At least that’s my understanding.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

alex_ said:

LadyG said:
    Not being able to mix in households in London makes being there almost pointless for me. I and others will leave if/when this comes in, I'd rather isolate in the countryside (luckily I am able to do so).
    London is full of people living on their own who if prevented from any household mixing basically means the end of any social contact. Especially if everyone's working from home. Anything would be better than that - even if reducing maximum groups to 3 or 4.
    Agreed. Socialising with members of your own household doesn't really count as socialising anyway. If I am prevented from visiting public places with people not in my household I am effectively barred from physical contact with people. Has the Government not heard of single people? Luckily I am in leafy Hampshire where it's least likely to happen.
    Also it means "self isolation" for singletons becomes a meaningless rule, as that's what you're effectively doing anyway. So you may as well break quarantine and fly to fucking Turkey for some sun
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

Most people in London don't have gardens, where on Earth do they think these meetings are going to take place

Durham.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    LadyG said:

alex_ said:

LadyG said:
    London is full of people living on their own who if prevented from any household mixing basically means the end of any social contact. Especially if everyone's working from home. Anything would be better than that - even if reducing maximum groups to 3 or 4.
    Agreed. Socialising with members of your own household doesn't really count as socialising anyway. If I am prevented from visiting public places with people not in my household I am effectively barred from physical contact with people. Has the Government not heard of single people? Luckily I am in leafy Hampshire where it's least likely to happen.
    Also it means "self isolation" for singletons becomes a meaningless rule, as that's what you're effectively doing anyway. So you may as well break quarantine and fly to fucking Turkey for some sun
    My wife and I are actually thinking about Sicily until the end of March for this reason. If London is going to shut down and we can't visit our friends then why bother staying here. Might as well go somewhere warm where the bars and restaurants are open.
  • Options
    Are you the same person as you were six years ago? 100% unchanged.

Since this encounter Patel has come out against death penalty because Hislop convinced her. That makes me respect her more, that someone can have strong opinions, but be shown the error of their ways and then rather than digging in can acknowledge that and move on.

But instead people still act as if she hasn't changed since then.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If London goes into tier 2 lockdown based on the current data then I think hospitality should take the government to court and force them to provide all the evidence on a case by case basis, where the case is in London and where the swab was taken, whether it's students who are within a university bubble etc...

This is going to kill the city and Sadiq is doing nothing to stop it the absolute massive c***.

Sadiq is positively encouraging it. He is the worst mayor by far. A loathsome, bleating little gnome of a man,

Red Ken was at least amusing, at times: a proper Londoner.
  • Options
    An all-time classic QT moment.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited October 2020
    It will get even more interesting when a 250,000 tonne tanker gets its props fouled in a UK net and grounds on the French coast causing an environmental disaster
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

I suspect your experience is limited to extreme cases that interface with the NHS. Many drug users of all stripes live good, normal lives.
    I realise cannabis is not good for the user over the long term but the trouble with criminalising it is that the law makers and enforcers think it does not apply to them (or their mates ) and so you end up with that dangerous situation prevalent a lot in over state influence legislation that you get double and hypocritical standards and actions - A bit like Dominic Cummings breaking the lockdown law he presumably had a lot of input in forming. Its not fair and its abuse by the state and its agents. Laws should be only made if they really do have buy in from everyone because they are so obviously needed like murder etc
  • Options
    Shit, hislop looks about 78 in that photo. And I am only a year younger than him.
  • Options

Since this encounter Patel has come out against death penalty because Hislop convinced her. That makes me respect her more, that someone can have strong opinions, but be shown the error of their ways and then rather than digging in can acknowledge that and move on.

Has she? I didn’t know that. Do you have a link?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trump is... for once partially correct. The probability of getting the virus for a second time is much, much lower than a previously uninfected subject. If it wasn't we could bin ALL the work that's gone into vaccines right now. The reinfection rate however does put an upper limit on vaccine efficacy - but it's high.

He didn't say lower probability though. He was absolute.
  • Options

CHB is not the same person he was a year ago. The he wanted Corbyn to be PM, but thankfully the voters were wiser. Now Sir Keir Starmer is his hero although for many others his shine is wearing off too.
  • Options

When?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

If London goes into tier 2 lockdown based on the current data then I think hospitality should take the government to court and force them to provide all the evidence on a case by case basis, where the case is in London and where the swab was taken, whether it's students who are within a university bubble etc...

This is going to kill the city and Sadiq is doing nothing to stop it the absolute massive c***.

Sadiq is positively encouraging it. He is the worst mayor by far. A loathsome, bleating little gnome of a man,

London is losing its beating creative and soulful heart in all this and the least you would expect Khan to do would be to challenge the government on lockdown measures not ask for more of them FFS
  • Options
    - 1 month ago Govt introduce "rule of 6", briefing that this sets the framework for social contact for the foreseeable future - possibly until March. And urge people to follow the rules to prevent the need for tighter restrictions
    - A week later all the universities start going back, which in campus environments especially, involves (new) social mixing between multiple households of far greater than 6 people as a default position
    - Case numbers go through the roof
    - Govt reimposes full lockdown restrictions across much of the country seeking to blame the population for failing to heed their warnings to follow the rules.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

I was in a meeting with some GP commissioners last week. They have been told to gear up for vaccination in January. The 2 big practical issues are the logistics of ensuring the second dose happens on time, and that some of the candidate vaccines are unstable outside a freezer.

How long will it take to vaccinate those in the population that agree to have it? 6 months minimum?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

In part it is, but also direct experience from old schoolfriends.

One of my neighbours spent 4 months as an inpatient with a paranoid cannabis psychosis, and was catatonic for part of it. His devoted wife and primary school aged children visited, but found it very difficult. When he was discharged and detoxed he drifted back to it. His wife said "its the cannabis or the family" he chose the cannabis. She remarried, but now one of her sons has followed his fathers path.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

What is improper about the current mayor born in Tooting?
  • Options

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

Its not where you were born its about where your soul is
  • Options
    LadyG said:

alex_ said:

LadyG said:
    Yes. I`d be out of the UK now if I hadn`t got children in school.
  • Options

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

Tooting, it's in the dirty south.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

- 1 month ago Govt introduce "rule of 6", briefing that this sets the framework for social contact for the foreseeable future - possibly until March. And urge people to follow the rules to prevent the need for tighter restrictions
    - A week later all the universities start going back, which in campus environments especially, involves (new) social mixing between multiple households of far greater than 6 people as a default position
    - Govt reimposes full lockdown restrictions across much of the country seeking to blame the population for failing to heed their warnings to follow the rules.

Where has full lockdown been reimposed?
  • Options
    Khan worse than Johnson? Hahahahaha
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

And most wise to skip over the embarrassing fiasco that came between
  • Options

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

Its not where you were born its about where your soul is
    Where is Sadiqs soul? And where can I buy this soul locator?
  • Options

It will get even more interesting when a 250,000 tonne tanker gets its props fouled in a UK net and grounds on the French coast causing an environmental disaster

Yes Farage is right on this .
  • Options
    To be fair to @MaxPB at least he hates Khan for legitimate reasons, unlike those who just hate him because they're racist
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

Lucky we won't have end of transition Brexit happening or anything like that at the same time that might be creating significant other challenges requiring widespread logistical support from the Government.

• Options

I get my past from just six months ago brought up constantly on here, Patel deserves the same treatment
  • Options
    edited October 2020

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

He doesn't have the do-or-die, come-on-then-Adolf, cockney sparrer London spirit which, in their own different ways, Red Ken and Boris J both did.

This is not a cultural/racial thing. There are plenty of black and Asian Londoners that do have this Londony chutzpah.

Khan does not. He has the air of a small annoying man, probably inadequate in bed, constantly whining about bus routes.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

From more than four years ago: https://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/news/priti-patel-finally-changes-her-mind-death-penalty
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

He doesn't have the do-or-die, come-on-then-Adolf, cockney sparrer London spirit which, in their own different ways, Red Ken and Boris J both did.

This is not a cultural/racial thing. There are plenty of black and Asian Londoners that do have this Londony thing.

Khan does not. He has the air of a small annoying man, probably inadequate in bed, constantly whining about bus routes.

You know who else was a small annoying man inadequate in bed...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

This is not a cultural/racial thing. There are plenty of black and Asian Londoners that do have this Londony thing.

Napoleon?!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Almost 10,000 minks in Utah have reportedly died due to Covid-19, spurring quarantines at nine fur farms impacted by the outbreak.

The state’s veterinarian, Dean Taylor, reportedly said that coronavirus had mostly impacted older minks, “wiping out 50% percent of the breeding colonies.” Younger minks were largely unharmed, he said.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

ydoethur said:

From more than four years ago: https://www.totalpolitics.com/articles/news/priti-patel-finally-changes-her-mind-death-penalty
    Thank you. That’s quite interesting.
  • Options
    Do people who think Johnson was a good Mayor actually live in London, he was dreadful.

Khan isn't great, he's like a 5/10 but he's solidly better than Johnson.

If somebody could list some Johnson London achievements that he didn't steal from Ken, I would love to hear them
  • Options
    LadyG said:

ydoethur said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

Napoleon?!
    He was a very small boney part.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Where has full lockdown been reimposed?
    It's coming. You think somehow Liverpool will be an isolated case? It will follow the same pattern as in March. Businesses will start saying that they aren't viable under the tier 2 restrictions when they are officially ineligible from the Government support available to tier 3 areas. The Government will have the choice between letting them all go bust or push increasing areas into tier 3. And the political pressure to make the lockdowns widespread will grow and grow. And the Government, who have basically given up on the idea that any of this needs to be constrained by affordability will just decide that they are in for a penny in for a pound.

But maybe it won't. And i've just exaggerated marginally in the final bullet point.
  • Options
    After repeated attempts to clarify whether she still backed capital punishment, Patel finally gave a straight answer.

An odd way to answer a question if you're so confident your attitude has changed
  • Options

Do people who think Johnson was a good Mayor actually live in London, he was dreadful.

If somebody could list some Johnson London achievements that he didn't steal from Ken, I would love to hear them

As far as I can see, they were both shit.

But then, I don’t live in London and I’ve visited it twice in six years.
  • Options
    I only say the above because if it was Labour over the IRA, Philip would be in here attacking them for "not being straight about their true views"
  • Options

But how thick do you have to be, not to have thought of Hislop's points before having them put to you on QT by Hislop? The only way round the miscarriage argument is to concede they will happen, and say tough, collateral damage, omelettes and eggs, net benefit, and sometimes the victim had it coming anyway (Christie and Evans).

For avoidance of doubt i am outlining, not endorsing, that line of argument.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

As far as I can see, they were both shit.

But then, I don’t live in London and I’ve visited it twice in six years.
    Khan is ineffectual. Johnson was shit.

Ken got stuff done.
  • Options

They're both awful. Johnson got away with it because he didn't actually do very much. Other than chuck away a load of money on vanity projects.

Khan managed to bring TfL to the brink of bankruptcy (and that was before Covid).
  • Options
    But then Ken had a Labour Government who at least were on the same side as him.

Khan has been kneecapped from day one.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    To entwine two themes, I reckon Priti Patel would make an exellent London mayor. She is characterful, punchy, optimistic and energetic. She has that irrepressible London spirit by which the city has endured and survived 2000 years. She is, also, a born Londoner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priti_Patel

• Options
    alex_ said:

They're both awful. Johnson got away with it because he didn't actually do very much. Other than chuck away a load of money on vanity projects.

Khan managed to bring TfL to the brink of bankruptcy (and that was before Covid).
    TfL was on the right track to run a surplus in just a few years.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

We have been living under it for two weeks here in Wales as directed by Drakeford of the labour party
    Have we? My understanding is we can still go to pubs and restaurants within Welsh Government guidance. We can shop to our hearts content

I have not been stopped entering or leaving my area, or for that matter entering or leaving Wales.

I agree these restrictions are not as well thought through as the earlier 5 mile rule, which was enforced.

You are giving the impression we are policed by the Stasi.

By the way what do you want?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

To entwine two themes, I reckon Priti Patel would make an exellent London mayor. She is characterful, punchy, optimistic and energetic. She has that irrepressible London spirit by which the city has endured and survived 2000 years. She is, also, a born Londoner.

She hates everything that makes London, London.
  • Options

I only say the above because if it was Labour over the IRA, Philip would be in here attacking them for "not being straight about their true views"

She gave a straight answer more than 4 years ago that she was against the death penalty and has kept to that ever since. Instead people pretend she is a raving fanatic in favour of the death penalty due to a decade old QT clip.
  • Options

She gave a straight answer more than 4 years ago that she was against the death penalty and has kept to that ever since. Instead people pretend she is a raving fanatic in favour of the death penalty due to a decade old QT clip.
    She tried to avoid the answer several times, that doesn't inspire confidence.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

You forgot, Johnson and co briefing to get back to work
  • Options

Boris was great, he did the job of being a positive mayor well and stuck up for London's concerns better than Sadiq has, even from 2008-2010 under Labour.

Right now London needs a different strategy to whatever is happening nationally, it's economy is completely different and much more reliant on people interacting with each other than anywhere else in the country. Boris understood that, Sadiq doesn't. It's why Boris always had London specific industries in the conversation, Sadiq just seems to ignore them. The other great thing about Boris is that he wasn't very good at actually governing so not very much really changed. He was good at talking the talk and then making Kit Malthouse actually do the work. Sadiq can't seem to do either and London is stuck. We have police who are more interested in arresting people for saying mean things on Twitter because it's great for their stats and a transport system that is beyond breaking point because he decided that bribing voters with fare freezes was his main priority.

He's also incredibly inarticulate, which for someone who was a barrister in a previous life is quite sad. I also think he struggles to be part of any conversation because he's just stupidly inflexible which means the government will just fuck him off at every opportunity.
  • Options

alex_ said:

TfL was on the right track to run a surplus in just a few years.
    He brought it to the brink of bankruptcy at which point he was forced into implementing enormous budget cuts. Important transport projects all over London had to be cancelled almost overnight. It wasn't as if he inherited a total mess (albeit some of Johnson's vanity projects didn't help) and has been plotting it on a steady course back to self-sufficiency.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

But how thick do you have to be, not to have thought of Hislop's points before having them put to you on QT by Hislop? The only way round the miscarriage argument is to concede they will happen, and say tough, collateral damage, omelettes and eggs, net benefit, and sometimes the victim had it coming anyway (Christie and Evans).

For avoidance of doubt i am outlining, not endorsing, that line of argument.
    Because 99% of the time people don't debate that point so it is simple to overlook.

Most of the argument is about whether it is appropriate to execute killers or not, whether it is acceptable for the state to kill the worst crimininals or not. The miscarriage argument doesn't actually come up that often, but it is the reason I oppose the death penalty.
  • Options

LadyG said:

She hates everything that makes London, London.
    She is from a hardworking immigrant background, she came through horrible racism and misogyny, and yet despite all that she has become the first female BAME Home Secretary. She's got spirit and ambition and she's done great. I like her.

She is quintessentially London.

Remember this brilliant, passionate, off-the-cuff speech of hers, in the Commons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohXxmD78ZCo
  • Options
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

This is not a cultural/racial thing. There are plenty of black and Asian Londoners that do have this Londony chutzpah.

Chutzpah is nothing to do with London, it exists throughout the world. The only complaint you have given that is backed by the real world is he is small. No idea how you can tell he is inadequate in bed, or why it would bother you if he was.
This discussion has been closed.