Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

On the Smarkets betting exchange Biden’s chances edge to record levels – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited October 2020 in General
On the Smarkets betting exchange Biden’s chances edge to record levels – politicalbetting.com

Betfair might have suspended White House race betting but @Smarkets is still active – latest prices pic.twitter.com/QWUAVa1I7S

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    First SUSPENDED
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,874
    Second!
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Shame there is not a market on when DT discharges from Hospital..... it will be his decision (unless the worst case scenario happens), I cant see how this issue ends for Trump - questions over his health are going to incessantly dominate the campaign till polling (and even beyond)..
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,260
    Fourth and multiplying
  • Options

Shame there is not a market on when DT discharges from Hospital..... it will be his decision (unless the worst case scenario happens), I cant see how this issue ends for Trump - questions over his health are going to incessantly dominate the campaign till polling (and even beyond)..

The Dow out of hours is rising sharply in the expectation he’ll be out today, having fallen sharply on Thursday/Friday when he went in. There’s your market.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,119
    The more I read about it, the more the course of the illness implies he must have been symptomatic several days earlier than they have been admitting. If so, surely he would have been advised to self-isolate, but didn't. In the online recordings of him on Thursday he sounds obviously hoarse and congested. I think more attention will turn to this if he is out of danger himself.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    edited October 2020
    IanB2 said:

Fourth and multiplying

Boasting!

And as a good a Monday to everyone as can be had in these times.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,520
    Given that we are just four weeks ans one day away from the election I think the firm is being over-cautious.

Bordering on irresponsible, IMO.
    They have even suspended the Winning Party market, which is utterly absurd, given that nether party has thought it even remotely a consideration to suspend their respective campaigns.

While it is true that no one has any real idea of Trump’s condition, there’s no danger of a false market, as everyone ought to have been fully aware for a long time that he is an inveterate liar and dissembler.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Fourth and multiplying

Boasting!

If the rain stops, it would be a start.
  • Options
    The numbers in this thread are of course rough estimates, contingent on the particular conditions, and the quality of mask, but the relative risks of infection are credible.
    https://twitter.com/39Magilla/status/1312709878859935746
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Fourth and multiplying

Boasting!

If the rain stops, it would be a start.
    Very true; think it's stopped here, for the moment, anyway. Forecast isn't good.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

I had a few small bets on football matches over the weekend. Was mildly surprised the one on Liverpool losing (10.5) came off. Leicester also lost, and Manchester City only drew. Bit surprised.
  • Options
    Just looked at my mail; small win on Premium Bonds, so it's not all bad!
  • Options
    I am going to close my Betfair positions (once it reopens!) and transfer anything I can to Smarkets! 2% commission only? I am getting a bit worried by Betfair’s unexplained delay
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,103

Good morning, everyone.

I had a few small bets on football matches over the weekend. Was mildly surprised the one on Liverpool losing (10.5) came off. Leicester also lost, and Manchester City only drew. Bit surprised.

This weekend's footie results looked like they had been infiltrated by an Asian betting syndicate.....

TSE is hoping so anyway.
  • Options
    Welcome to PB, Mr. Greko.

Think I have small bets on this with the Betfair Exchange but mostly Ladbrokes bets, and some covering on the exchange there. The lack of clarity from the former is not fantastic.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,219
    Chris said:

The more I read about it, the more the course of the illness implies he must have been symptomatic several days earlier than they have been admitting. If so, surely he would have been advised to self-isolate, but didn't. In the online recordings of him on Thursday he sounds obviously hoarse and congested. I think more attention will turn to this if he is out of danger himself.

Nothing about Trump is straightforward but the fact that he has been treated with dexamethasone supports the hypothesis that he has had this longer. As I understand it you don’t use that in the early stages as it is not productive then.
  • Options

Especially given the miserable odds nowadays
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,177
    DavidL said:

Chris said:

Nothing about Trump is straightforward but the fact that he has been treated with dexamethasone supports the hypothesis that he has had this longer. As I understand it you don’t use that in the early stages as it is not productive then.
    Yes, but on the other hand it's the single most effective treatment for Covid that has thus far been discovered. So, of course Trump will want it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Today is our 35th wedding anniversary. We are out for afternoon tea at the Old Course hotel later. The planned walk is looking a little problematic, however. Some minor roads are closed with flooding around here.

Congratulations to you both. Enjoy your day.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2020
    The Biden odds now are essentially unchanged on what they were before the announcement he was positive aren't they?
    https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1311779525429268482

I think the bulk of the move happened following the first debate not the illness. There just seems to have been a small move from Trump to Pence, not a major move from Trump to Biden.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Today is our 35th wedding anniversary. We are out for afternoon tea at the Old Course hotel later. The planned walk is looking a little problematic, however. Some minor roads are closed with flooding around here.

Congratulations. Have a good day.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    In addition to reopening the markets (how much business are they losing to competitors over this?) BF needs to clarify the market rules on their Next President market.

When BF do reopen for business, I don`t know if or which way I will bet due to the interpretation of BF rules as understood by some on here.

I have have Laid Trump big and also have Backed Pence. If Trump were to bow out through ill health and Pence were to run for President instead - going on to win so that Pence is Next President - I would expect to win my Trump bet and win my Pence bet.

However, according to some on here I would lose both bets.

There has been a risk premium in Trump and Biden`s price from the off - originally due to age but now amplified due to Covid. For the above interpretation to be right the risk premium should not have been there (at least after the nomination stage). That leads me to think that there may be an opportunity to back Trump when Bf opens as I suspect, looking as Smarket odds, that he is going to open higher-priced that when Bf suspended the market and part of this higher price could? be based on a misunderstanding on BF rules.

Any views on all this?
  • Options
    To be fair to Trump he can't possibly have put his secret service detail at risk with his drive-by as his people insist Covid isn't real anyway...
  • Options
    El_Greko said:

I am going to close my Betfair positions (once it reopens!) and transfer anything I can to Smarkets! 2% commission only? I am getting a bit worried by Betfair’s unexplained delay

Welcome - your concern is widely shared. They are cacking themselves due to fear of bad press.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Chris said:

Yes, but on the other hand it's the single most effective treatment for Covid that has thus far been discovered. So, of course Trump will want it.
    Yes there is an element of quackery about the whole thing which makes you wonder. The cocktail of antibiotics etc he was given is similar.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Which they`ve just cut from 1.4% to 1%.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

In addition to reopening the markets (how much business are they losing to competitors over this?) BF needs to clarify the market rules on their Next President market.

When BF do reopen for business, I don`t know if or which way I will bet due to the interpretation of BF rules as understood by some on here.

I have have Laid Trump big and also have Backed Pence. If Trump were to bow out through ill health and Pence were to run for President instead - going on to win so that Pence is Next President - I would expect to win my Trump bet and win my Pence bet.

There has been a risk premium in Trump and Biden`s price from the off - originally due to age but now amplified due to Covid. For the above interpretation to be right the risk premium should not have been there (at least after the nomination stage). That leads me to think that there may be an opportunity to back Trump when Bf opens as I suspect, looking as Smarket odds, that he is going to open higher-priced that when Bf suspended the market and part of this higher price could? be based on a misunderstanding on BF rules.

Any views on all this?

It's a sad fact with BF that the title of their bets often don't match up with the published small print rules. An earlier classis was "will there be a no deal Brexit, yes or no" where the small print had a whole stack of provisos and tied the bet to a particular date. So you have to be very careful to make sure that what you think you are betting on is indeed the case.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Many congratulations - enjoy your day
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, yeah, was surprised West Ham won as well.

Mr. L, hope you day is less soggy than recent ones have been.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

It's a sad fact with BF that the title of their bets often don't match up with the published small print rules. An earlier classis was "will there be a no deal Brexit, yes or no" where the small print had a whole stack of provisos and tied the bet to a particular date. So you have to be very careful to make sure that what you think you are betting on is indeed the case.
    Indeed. The title of the market is "Presidential Election 2020 - Next President". I`ve been laying Trump for months and I admit I didn`t look at the rules initially, thinking that the title of market pretty much said it all. When I did check the rules the last sentence, that basically says the market doesn`t void if someone dies, was reassuring (I thought). What`s concerning is that experienced PB.com punters take opposite interpretations of their rules.

There is a storm brewing for BF.
  • Options

To be fair to Trump he can't possibly have put his secret service detail at risk with his drive-by as his people insist Covid isn't real anyway...

The degree of reckless disregard for those around him is actually criminal: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/10/trump-reckless/616610/

I assisted the Crown in the first case in Scotland where a man was convicted for reckless endangerment for having unprotected sex with a woman when he knew he was HIV+. This was back when HIV was a fairly short death sentence and it was prosecuted in the High Court. To me, exactly the same logic applies here. Chris Christie, for example, could surely sue.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Not nearly as bad as their saving rates.

HMG gave NS&I a stonking target for the money they wanted it to bring in, hence its interest rates have remained above 1%, even for instant access. Meanwhile every other financial institution has cut their rates and the money has been pouring into NS&I. So they've just given notice that as from 24 November all their rates will basically be cut to nil (0.01% and the like).
  • Options
    Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

Indeed. The title of the market is "Presidential Election 2020 - Next President". I`ve been laying Trump for months and I admit I didn`t look at the rules initially, thinking that the title of market pretty much said it all. When I did check the rules the last sentence, that basically says the market doesn`t void if someone dies, was reassuring (I thought). What`s concerning is that experienced PB.com punters take opposite interpretations of their rules.

I think some people overcomplicate and overthink matters.

From memory the winner is the "projected" winner according to the rules? Well, if hypothetically Trump pulls out now and is replaced by Pence then even if the ballot papers say Trump the "projected" winner if the GOP wins on the night will be Pence.

Others take the other view, an overly literal interpretation that the ballot paper says Trump so Trump will have won. But in that scenario I think the media and everyone will be projecting that Pence has won, so you would win your bet.

The key is who interprets who has "projected" the winner. The rules don't, as some seem to think, insist upon the name on the ballot paper being the winner.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

Around December 2016, I placed bets on Dems regaining control of the House at some great odds. Market was titled 'next congressional election' or something like that.

But it turned out they meant the one which had just happened!
  • Options
    According to the BBC disinformation unit (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-54387438) Trump hasn't called COVID a hoax, though it's quite easy to see why it might seem like he has, given the random accusations and conspiracy theories he sprays around like a uncontrolled pressure hose.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Where else does one 'store' money in an easily accessible place, which gives a much better return? I can understand gambling.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,885
    https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1312871985731567616

It's amazing that with all of his buddies so expert in data analysis that Dom allowed this to occur on his watch...
  • Options

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

From memory the winner is the "projected" winner according to the rules? Well, if hypothetically Trump pulls out now and is replaced by Pence then even if the ballot papers say Trump the "projected" winner if the GOP wins on the night will be Pence.

Others take the other view, an overly literal interpretation that the ballot paper says Trump so Trump will have won. But in that scenario I think the media and everyone will be projecting that Pence has won, so you would win your bet.

The key is who interprets who has "projected" the winner. The rules don't, as some seem to think, insist upon the name on the ballot paper being the winner.
    I think it's wise to *actually read the rules* rather than relying on your recollection.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

I think it's wise to *actually read the rules* rather than relying on your recollection.
    I tried but when I went to Betfair to try to lookup the rules I couldn't find them as the market is suspended so the button to go to the rules normally is not there.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Everything that Dildo woman touches turns to dust, doesn't it?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    edited October 2020
    rkrkrk said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

From the rules link, I think it matches Philip's recollection:
    the rules said:

Event Start Time
    03 November 2020, 20:00
    Win Only Market

MARKET INFORMATION

For further information please see Rules & Regs.

Who will be elected to be the next President of the United States of America as a result of the 2020 presidential election?

This market will be turned in-play at the stated time on the day of the election. Thereafter the market will not be actively managed. Customers are entirely responsible for their bets at all times.

This market will be settled according to the candidate that has the most projected Electoral College votes won at the 2020 presidential election. Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market. In the event that no Presidential candidate receives a majority of the projected Electoral College votes, this market will be settled on the person chosen as President in accordance with the procedures set out by the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

This market will be void if an election does not take place in 2020. If more than one election takes place in 2020, then this market will apply to the first election that is held.

10/03/2020 10:30am – Once voting (whether postal, electronic or at the ballot box) begins in the year 2020 for the US Presidential Election 2020, the election will be deemed to have taken place for the purposes of this market. We will then settle the market as per our rules regardless of whether the election process is fully completed in 2020 or beyond.

If there is any material change to the established role or any ambiguity as to who occupies the position, then Betfair may determine, using its reasonable discretion, how to settle the market based on all the information available to it at the relevant time. Betfair reserves the right to wait for further official announcements before the market is settled.

Betfair expressly reserves the right to suspend and/or void any and all bets on this market at any time if Betfair is not satisfied (in its absolute discretion) with the certainty of the outcome.

Additional candidates may be added to this market on request.

Please note that candidates in this market will not be partially settled and will remain in the market until it is fully settled. This is to allow customers to continue trading candidates that they have positions on and because each candidate is still a valid runner in this market.

Customers should be aware that:

Transmissions described as “live” by some broadcasters may actually be delayed.

The extent of any such delay may vary, depending on the set-up through which they are receiving pictures or data.

Please note, due to internal administrative procedures, the indicated start date/time of this market is subject to change. This will have no impact on settlement as detailed in our market specific rules. Any changes to the start time/date will be recorded in the market rules. 16:00 17/06/2020 –Market rules have been updated to reflect new information above..

If any candidate withdraws for any reason, including death, all bets on the market will stand and be settled as per the defined rules (Updated - 20/06/2020)

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,193
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    The maximum file size? WTF. This is 2020 not 1990.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1312871985731567616

It's amazing that with all of his buddies so expert in data analysis that Dom allowed this to occur on his watch...

I'm gonna be controversial here and say that i very much doubt this one is on Dom.

• Options
    A week or so ago I posted a query about the NHS track and test (world-beating) app. Why couldn't one check out of it as well as check in. I also asked the Track and Test service, and now, days later I have a reply:
    'If people with coronavirus (COVID-19) were at the venue at a similar time as you, a human contact tracer from the Contact Tracing and Advisory Service (CTAS), or the Joint Biosecurity Centre (JBC), will look into the case. They'll evaluate the risk level based on the type of venue and the details of the case. This will help them decide who may be at risk.'
    It continues, on another page:
    'If local health protection teams decide that people with coronavirus have been to a venue, they may decide anyone who was at that venue at a certain time should get an alert. This is so people are made aware and can monitor their symptoms.'

In other words it appears that the Track and Trace people ask 'suspects' to decide whether they were in contact or not. So if I book into the pub at 5pm, stay there for an hour and then go home, and someone who is positive goes in at 8pm, Track & Trace may ring me. I assume, although the site doesn't say this, that the tracer will tell me that the suspect went to the pub at 8, and allow me to make a decision about getting tested or not.
    I'm not sure that's entirely satisfactory.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Betfair have tried to be too clever and it has bitten them. By trying to write the rules about projected EC votes they have created this situation.

If they had simply based it on EC votes cast everything would be clear. But they wanted to be able to settle the market quicker than December and so they have fucked themselves and the punters.
  • Options
    Thanks edmund. So yes it is "projected", it doesn't as far as I can read it say "projected" by whom.

If Trump has withdrawn then it would be reasonable to "project" that Trump/Pence ticket votes are for Electoral College votes who will back Pence to be POTUS.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Not nearly as bad as their saving rates.

HMG gave NS&I a stonking target for the money they wanted it to bring in, hence its interest rates have remained above 1%, even for instant access. Meanwhile every other financial institution has cut their rates and the money has been pouring into NS&I. So they've just given notice that as from 24 November all their rates will basically be cut to nil (0.01% and the like).
    Lucky to get 0.01%. Wait until next year and you'll be paying them a small fee to keep your money safe.

• Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Also why was there no failsafe? If the files were rejected why did nobody get an urgent notification that the upload had failed?
  • Options
    This market will be settled according to the candidate that has the most projected Electoral College votes won at the 2020 presidential election. Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market. In the event that no Presidential candidate receives a majority of the projected Electoral College votes, this market will be settled on the person chosen as President in accordance with the procedures set out by the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

This is the key paragraph and it as ambiguous as all heck.

Who is projecting? What happens if a candidate withdraws? Or dies prior to election day.

As early votes are brig cast the election has taken place according to the rules and those votes are going to Trump.

Etc.

Anyone saying this is clear is not imaginative enough.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,241

rkrkrk said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

the rules said:

Event Start Time
    Win Only Market

MARKET INFORMATION

Who will be elected to be the next President of the United States of America as a result of the 2020 presidential election?

This market will be turned in-play at the stated time on the day of the election. Thereafter the market will not be actively managed. Customers are entirely responsible for their bets at all times.

This market will be void if an election does not take place in 2020. If more than one election takes place in 2020, then this market will apply to the first election that is held.

10/03/2020 10:30am – Once voting (whether postal, electronic or at the ballot box) begins in the year 2020 for the US Presidential Election 2020, the election will be deemed to have taken place for the purposes of this market. We will then settle the market as per our rules regardless of whether the election process is fully completed in 2020 or beyond.

If there is any material change to the established role or any ambiguity as to who occupies the position, then Betfair may determine, using its reasonable discretion, how to settle the market based on all the information available to it at the relevant time. Betfair reserves the right to wait for further official announcements before the market is settled.

Betfair expressly reserves the right to suspend and/or void any and all bets on this market at any time if Betfair is not satisfied (in its absolute discretion) with the certainty of the outcome.

Please note that candidates in this market will not be partially settled and will remain in the market until it is fully settled. This is to allow customers to continue trading candidates that they have positions on and because each candidate is still a valid runner in this market.

The extent of any such delay may vary, depending on the set-up through which they are receiving pictures or data.

Please note, due to internal administrative procedures, the indicated start date/time of this market is subject to change. This will have no impact on settlement as detailed in our market specific rules. Any changes to the start time/date will be recorded in the market rules. 16:00 17/06/2020 –Market rules have been updated to reflect new information above..

If any candidate withdraws for any reason, including death, all bets on the market will stand and be settled as per the defined rules (Updated - 20/06/2020)

I don't think anybody can say what "projected electoral votes" means for sure in Betfair's imprecise rules. I would have thought in the event Trump dies, and the election goes ahead with Trump on the ballot, and Trump wins enough states to get a majority in the electoral college, then Trump will be settled as the winner, even though he won't actually become next president.
  • Options

Thanks edmund. So yes it is "projected", it doesn't as far as I can read it say "projected" by whom.

If Trump has withdrawn then it would be reasonable to "project" that Trump/Pence ticket votes are for Electoral College votes who will back Pence to be POTUS.

I assume they mean projected by the main TV networks.
  • Options

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Where else does one 'store' money in an easily accessible place, which gives a much better return? I can understand gambling.
    There is nowhere at the moment if you seek security of capital. The thing to remember though is that inflation is also low. I think CPI is below 1% currently. As long as the rate of interest at least keeps up with inflation (i.e. there are positive interest rates) the market for savers isn`t as bad as you think.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,936

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

This is speculation, but one way in which this might happen is if they were emailing CSV files from satellite testing centres to whoever was running the test & trace service and an email server somewhere in the chain had a maximum attachment size limit set to something relatively small.

That’s a) exactly the kind of setup you’d expect if you were hacking together a system like this as fast as possible and b) exactly the kind of thing that might get missed.

Of course, a well run system would be doing end-to-end reconciliation checks on a daily basis to make damn sure this didn’t happen but we know the calibre of the kind of organisations that the government has chosen to employ & they don’t exactly inspire confidence do they?
  • Options

Not sure about that, because they will be "faithless electors" that Betfair says it will ignore
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

the rules said:

Event Start Time
    Win Only Market

MARKET INFORMATION

Sorry but i think there is an important difference between 'projected winner' and candidate projected to win EC votes at 2020 election.

The *candidate* means the person nominated. That's Trump not Pence.

I don't know how betfair will decide though.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Betfair have tried to be too clever and it has bitten them. By trying to write the rules about projected EC votes they have created this situation.

If they had simply based it on EC votes cast everything would be clear. But they wanted to be able to settle the market quicker than December and so they have fucked themselves and the punters.

The basic principle is that if you back someone to be president and they end up being president you should win. I`m hoping that BF will stock to this basic principle when interpreting their own rules.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    For the first time I am confident about Biden now. Winning the popular vote ought to be a formality. The electoral college is less certain.
  • Options
    Phil said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

This is speculation, but one way in which this might happen is if they were emailing CSV files from satellite testing centres to whoever was running the test & trace service and an email server somewhere in the chain had a maximum attachment size limit set to something relatively small.

That’s a) exactly the kind of setup you’d expect if you were hacking together a system like this as fast as possible and b) exactly the kind of thing that might get missed.

Of course, a well run system would be doing end-to-end reconciliation checks on a daily basis to make damn sure this didn’t happen but we know the calibre of the kind of organisations that the government has chosen to employ & they don’t exactly inspire confidence do they?
    Good points.

We awaiting Dido's statement if one is forthcoming.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

the rules said:

Event Start Time
    Win Only Market

MARKET INFORMATION

Sorry but i think there is an important difference between 'projected winner' and candidate projected to win EC votes at 2020 election.

Key is the word projected. If Trump pulls out he shouldn't be projected to win surely?

If Betfair hadn't used the word projected it would be a lot clearer.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Why doesn’t someone get sacked or resign for any of these failures? The late summer policy of essentially blackmailing people back to the office looks particularly ill judged. Operationally incompetent and poor leadership, and yet they carry on. You would have thought that someone might hold their hand up and say something.
  • Options

I think projected means if republicans win state, they are projected to win those EC votes. And any dissonance between vote result and EC is not relevant.
  • Options

I'm gonna be controversial here and say that i very much doubt this one is on Dom.

I don't imagine he wrote the code, but Data Analysis is his big claim to fame, and he is throwing contracts at his mates with abandon.

And the biggest data analysis challenge of our lives is here. And it's garbage...
  • Options

How will the Premium Bonds deal with negative interest rates, I wonder?

"Congratulations, you've just lost £25!"

:lol: Seriously though I think every year you will lose 1% of your numbers I guess.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

Phil said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

Good points.

We awaiting Dido's statement if one is forthcoming.
    Something along the lines of "No one could have predicted that emails might have a maximum file size limitation".
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Who is projecting? What happens if a candidate withdraws? Or dies prior to election day.

As early votes are brig cast the election has taken place according to the rules and those votes are going to Trump.

Etc.

But the US has for many cycles determined the results by projections by the mainstream media outlets. Actually counting the votes is way too difficult and some may not even have arrived yet. If that is the way the election is determined then it makes sense to determine bets in the same way. Of course we may have a situation, if its really close, where different networks are minded to project different results but I have not seen that happen for more than a few minutes.
  • Options

That's pretty much what's happened.

They reduced the returns to 0.01%

As long as inflation is less than that you will still make money...
  • Options

So long as you don't become the single £ one million loser, I guess?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Etc.

But the US has for many cycles determined the results by projections by the mainstream media outlets. Actually counting the votes is way too difficult and some may not even have arrived yet. If that is the way the election is determined then it makes sense to determine bets in the same way. Of course we may have a situation, if its really close, where different networks are minded to project different results but I have not seen that happen for more than a few minutes.
    I'm hoping the networks refuse to project on the night. Because that could well mean an in-person voting win by Trump followed by days of lawyers.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That's pretty much what's happened.

They reduced the returns to 0.01%

As long as inflation is less than that you will still make money...
    I thought NS&I are reducing the Premium Bond return rate from 1.4% to 1% in December; it's the NS&I savings rate that's going to 0.01% (in November).

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/09/premium-bond-prize-rate-to-be-slashed-to-1-/
  • Options
    Dan is, as usual, not even close to being right. The last French presidential election the polls were out by more:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/macron-won-but-the-french-polls-were-way-off/

Also, he doesn't seem to know what "order of magnitude" means.

• Options
    Stocky said:

Alistair said:

The basic principle is that if you back someone to be president and they end up being president you should win. I`m hoping that BF will stock to this basic principle when interpreting their own rules.
    Biden will do everyone a favour by his landslide win.

I’m still utterly nonplussed by the suspension of the winning party market.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I don't imagine he wrote the code, but Data Analysis is his big claim to fame, and he is throwing contracts at his mates with abandon.

And the biggest data analysis challenge of our lives is here. And it's garbage...
    He can't do data analysis if the file is stuck on Dido's email server. :smiley:
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

So long as you don't become the single £ one million loser, I guess?
    :lol:
  • Options
    edited October 2020

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Etc.

I'm hoping the networks refuse to project on the night. Because that could well mean an in-person voting win by Trump followed by days of lawyers.
    I believe Fox has already said they’re unlikely to project on the night.

Though it’s possible I’m misremembering.

Watchdogs demand election night clarity from the media
    The National Task Force on Election Crises wants to know from news organizations how they'll handle election night — and what happens if a candidate declares victory prematurely.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/17/election-night-2020-calling-winner-416644
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    Also, as Harold Wilson once said "a week is a long time in politics". Just imagine then, how long a Trump month will seem.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Alistair said:

Biden will do everyone a favour by his landslide win.

I’m still utterly nonplussed by the suspension of the winning party market.
    I don`t think it is any more complicated than it being a PR decision.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Why doesn’t someone get sacked or resign for any of these failures? The late summer policy of essentially blackmailing people back to the office looks particularly ill judged. Operationally incompetent and poor leadership, and yet they carry on. You would have thought that someone might hold their hand up and say something.

The precedent of hanging on by your fingertips until the caravenserai moves on to someone else's fuckup has been set. In that one regard you know who has been inspirational.
  • Options

The precedent of hanging on by your fingertips until the caravenserai moves on to someone else's fuckup has been set. In that one regard you know who has been inspirational.

John Swinney
  • Options
    There’s this..

The Fox News Powder Keg
    On November 3, the network’s framing of the election narrative may help alleviate nationwide chaos—or sow it.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/09/how-fox-news-could-influence-election-day-2020/616512/
    ... I asked the Biden campaign how it plans to respond if various networks are out of sync in calling the race in November. “We expect all news organizations who make determinations about election results to act responsibly based on data and their duty to tell the American people the truth, as they all have during past presidential elections,” T.J. Ducklo, Joe Biden’s national press secretary, said. I posed the same question to the Trump campaign, which offered no response.

In a statement, Fox News said: “The integrity of our Decision Desk is rock solid. We have full confidence in each of the consummate professionals who run it and who are in charge of our Voter Analysis System, which made its stellar debut in the 2018 mid-term elections. We will call this presidential election carefully and accurately, relying on data and numbers.”

What, I asked Rove, is the responsibility of a channel such as Fox News on an election night?

“Not to make a premature call,” he said flatly....
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

the rules said:

Event Start Time
    Win Only Market

MARKET INFORMATION

Key is the word projected. If Trump pulls out he shouldn't be projected to win surely?

They also have the "if the candidate dies everything still stands clause"
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

the rules said:

Event Start Time
    Win Only Market

MARKET INFORMATION

Anyone who's trying to get elected is a candidate, shorely?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Etc.

The National Task Force on Election Crises wants to know from news organizations how they'll handle election night — and what happens if a candidate declares victory prematurely.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/17/election-night-2020-calling-winner-416644
    Surprised Trump hasn't declared victory already. After all, he claimed vitory over Covid back in March:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-coronavirus-victory-covid-19-death-toll-latest-a9423121.html
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Alistair said:

Etc.

Surprised Trump hasn't declared victory already. After all, he claimed vitory over Covid back in March:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-coronavirus-victory-covid-19-death-toll-latest-a9423121.html
    He effectively has by saying the election is fixed if he loses.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    edited October 2020
    Deleted as does not add much, given subsequent replies. Note to self: refresh before commenting!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Alistair said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

the rules said:

Event Start Time
    Win Only Market

MARKET INFORMATION

They also have the "if the candidate dies everything still stands clause"
    Hopefully Biden can dodge the rona for another month
  • Options

it might be that squillionaires are Ernie's best friend.

50,000 maximum holdings (under any 1 name...)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

John Swinney
    Been a while since whatever weird amalgam of Yookayness you support has taken responsiblity for anything. I suppose Dave banishing himself to the shepherd's hut gulag would be the last time...
  • Options
    edited October 2020

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

Any views on all this?

the rules said:

Event Start Time
    Win Only Market

MARKET INFORMATION

Actually I'd say the part that makes it confusing is that they went with EC votes at all. The intent is presumably, "If it's a clusterfuck we'll wait and see who gets sworn in, but we want to settle right away in the (98% probable) event that there's a clear winner once the votes are counted". So they should have said something like "we will settle based on who is projected to be sworn in as next president after election night, or at the earliest point that such a projection can reasonably be made".
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

The thing that gets me is not that there was a fault, but why did it take days to find it? I would assume that the people operating the system have some sort of sanity check, probably automated but even something purely in their head or on paper would do, about what a day's worth of results should look like. As a result I'm far more concerned about operational problems rather than computer system faults.
  • Options
    Now the missing cases data has been released (and assuming there is no more missing data out there) how does the actual experience look compared to the "If cases double every 7 days" scenario posited at the coronavirus data briefing on 21 September 2020?
  • Options

Been a while since whatever weird amalgam of Yookayness you support has taken responsiblity for anything. I suppose Dave banishing himself to the shepherd's hut gulag would be the last time...

Don't get me wrong, Petty Nationalists are refusing to take responsibility for their fuckups both sides of the border, but Swinney was in the Vanguard
This discussion has been closed.