Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

On the Smarkets betting exchange Biden’s chances edge to record levels – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    If you’re all having fun laughing at the PHE systems for reporting, have some further fun imagining about the sophisticated software behind the Coronavirus models being made to make life and death decisions on a daily basis...

Almost certainly a basic Excel spreadsheet with a few formulas chucked in for good measure.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

I know there's lots of focus on the fucktacular way the data has been procured/transmitted/stroed but surely the bigger picture is the actual growth in cases ?

Has a certain shape to it. Can't quite put my finger on how I would describe it.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,902
    edited October 2020

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

So is there an actual official figure for number of cases over the past few days?
    Or are we just guesstimating?

The figures on the dashboard are up to date, the extra cases have all been added in at this point.
    Except that pinned at the top is this rejoinder.
    The cases by publish date for 3 and 4 October include 15,841 additional cases with specimen dates between 25 September and 2 October — they are therefore artificially high for England and the UK.
    That's consistent with what I've said.
    Yes - the missed cases have been added as back dated data.

So for the days that they were added on, the reporting-day numbers are much higher than they should/would be. As in "today we added x cases to the data".

They are visible in the by specimen date data as well - assigned to the correct days.

This is by specimen date yesterday -

This is by specimen date 2 days ago -

Not quite increasing at the rate of the infamous "not a prediction", but rather concerning none the less.
    Pulpstar said:

I know there's lots of focus on the fucktacular way the data has been procured/transmitted/stroed but surely the bigger picture is the actual growth in cases ?

Absolutely. The main take home is that cases are actually still climbing rapidly rather than, as the incomplete data appeared to indicate, levelling off. The rest is just nit-picking.

Also of concern is the uptick in deaths, now running at about 50/day, and doubling every 10 days or so.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

It boggles the mind even more when I think about it, that they were using columns.

It's literally easier to not use columns, why on Earth were they doing that

Any semi-competent developer would see the issue with the 16K limit. If they were receiving files in that format from elsewhere you'd ask them to change it because you'd know the limit would cause problems.

It is so incompetent, that it seems almost a conspiracy to me.
    Well true but I question why anyone would choose to export the data in a format whereby one column represented one record
    I also don't know how they would write a script to parse such a file.
    Well it can be done - but it's clearly easier to not do it. Hence why libraries I've used expect a header row (I would imagine python is similar) and then they loop through the rest of the data row by row
    In some CSV libraries, you can dynamically read the header row - so instead of expecting a fixed set of headings, you can deal with a varying column set.
    Pandas (the Python data analysis framework) has built-in support for XLSX files via pd.read_xlsx(). Any competent developer would have been able to cope with either CSV or XLSX files.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    "Chancellor, we have two options:

1 - Support the businesses affected by this - it will cost a lot of money and run up the debt, but it will avoid economic scarring, collapse of entire sectors, and an ongoing negative impact to growth and receipts.

2 - Avoid spending and running up of debt and allow these sectors to collapse. You'll prevent a big increase in debt, but at the cost of collapsing these sectors, associated unemployment, economic scarring that will last for many years, and a severe ongoing negative impact to growth and tax receipts."

-- "Ah-ha! What about a compromise? We run up the debt and support them initially, and then when we've run up some of that debt, we let them collapse, anyway!"

"Sir - this would be literally the worst of both world, you'd have the debt AND the economic scarring and impact and... sir? Sir? No, don't do that..."
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    edited October 2020

Football: Leicester are 51 to win the title. Seems a bit long given early standings and results for the likes of Liverpool and Manchester City.

I had a tiny pre-season bet at 151 or so. Probably won't fiddle with that.

Tottenham @ 22-1 looks interesting to me.
  • Options
    99% of people here seem to be software eng, amazing
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

More than half missed cases from NW. So contacts not traced in the area of worst infection.
    Cases doubled in Manchester.

Makes it all the more worthwhile that I am still banned from meeting my parents.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

It boggles the mind even more when I think about it, that they were using columns.

Any semi-competent developer would see the issue with the 16K limit. If they were receiving files in that format from elsewhere you'd ask them to change it because you'd know the limit would cause problems.

Well true but I question why anyone would choose to export the data in a format whereby one column represented one record
    Well it can be done - but it's clearly easier to not do it. Hence why libraries I've used expect a header row (I would imagine python is similar) and then they loop through the rest of the data row by row
    In some CSV libraries, you can dynamically read the header row - so instead of expecting a fixed set of headings, you can deal with a varying column set.
    Pandas (the Python data analysis framework) has built-in support for XLSX files via pd.read_xlsx(). Any competent developer would have been able to cope with either CSV or XLSX files.
    That's assuming they're using pandas...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,356
    edited October 2020

Happily no, but I am happy wrangling various iterations of the Monster Spreadsheet of Death. Starting with the end in mind - what outputs do I need to track - and then designing the sheet accordingly works for me.

Not that I work in MS Excel if I can avoid it - Google Sheets for the win.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,202
    OnboardG1 said:

I remember at a previous job we used agile for all our development. Including FPGA development (free nerd hat if you know what that stands for). Long and short of it is that FPGAs are a reprogrammable circuit that you can do digital logic on. They're brilliantly fast and flexible but take a bloody long time to code on. Someone thought that we could agile this, which is like saying you can steer an oil tanker with an outboard. I spent every standup saying "I'm doing the same thing as yesterday, writing testbenches and hardware description code. This hasn't changed".

One of our classes at university was to create the conductive layer for an uncommitted gate array. They actually burned the silicon for some of the class in the department fab lab.

Ultimate write once code...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,141
    eek said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Today is our 35th wedding anniversary. We are out for afternoon tea at the Old Course hotel later. The planned walk is looking a little problematic, however. Some minor roads are closed with flooding around here.

Congrats! - Squeeze in a few holes too?
    Lord no, what a waste of time that would be. I find golf just beyond tedious. The only good things about it are the walk and the outdoors.
    The sandpit things on my local course are excellent for jumping my CRF250.
    You go to extraordinary lengths to achieve a certain level of popularity, don't you? Remarkable.
    Leave Dura-ace alone - he`s comedy gold.
    When I was 18 me and my mate did donuts on a golf course in his dad's W115 220 automatic. It open diffed and blew up the torque convertor on the second loop. His dad was livid and sent him to Sunderland Polytechnic as punishment.
    Great place Sunderland Poly. At least in it's previous incarnation! Met my wife there 61 years ago!
    They have a nice law school there. :)
    Thought you went Geordie, not Mackem?
    There’s no difference between Geordies and Mackems.
    Writes a Lancastrian.....
    As a minimum it most be 20 miles and there is an entirely separate subset of Sanddancers in between.
    It's only ten miles between NUFC and SAFC – the two cities pretty much merge into each other on a map and share the same phone code and Metro system.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    alex_ said:

If you’re all having fun laughing at the PHE systems for reporting, have some further fun imagining about the sophisticated software behind the Coronavirus models being made to make life and death decisions on a daily basis...

Almost certainly a basic Excel spreadsheet with a few formulas chucked in for good measure.

The models have been re-implemented by a dozen different teams in various universities now. C++, Java and... Python, I believe.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Today is our 35th wedding anniversary. We are out for afternoon tea at the Old Course hotel later. The planned walk is looking a little problematic, however. Some minor roads are closed with flooding around here.

Lord no, what a waste of time that would be. I find golf just beyond tedious. The only good things about it are the walk and the outdoors.
    You go to extraordinary lengths to achieve a certain level of popularity, don't you? Remarkable.
    When I was 18 me and my mate did donuts on a golf course in his dad's W115 220 automatic. It open diffed and blew up the torque convertor on the second loop. His dad was livid and sent him to Sunderland Polytechnic as punishment.
    Great place Sunderland Poly. At least in it's previous incarnation! Met my wife there 61 years ago!
    They have the same area code and in the same county.

They are synonyms for each other.
    Nope. My area code is 01661. Represent.
    Newcastle area code is 0191– (Sunderland also uses the Newcastle code).

You must live in the boonies!
  • Options

I'd say I'm a scripter, not a software engineer. I only use python for data analysis and dabble in a bit of ML with Tensorflow.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

The steroids have really kicked in!

Still running then, on the face of it.
    Yes. I think these are genuinely him. No-one else would put out such a stream of tweets on his account.

It all sounds a bit desperate. Not up to his usual standard. He's putting a brave face on it but he's not well. He needs to rest.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016

dixiedean said:

More than half missed cases from NW. So contacts not traced in the area of worst infection.
    Cases doubled in Manchester.

Makes it all the more worthwhile that I am still banned from meeting my parents.
    Yep. Can't meet Mum or eldest either. Ironically we are on harder restrictions than they are.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2020

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

Sounds like the people writing the code for the ingest of the data when they hear Pandas all they think about is black and white tubby bears that spend all day eating bamboo.....
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

The rest have left the building :)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    edited October 2020

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Nope I live in Newcastle, in a home built 2.5 years ago. They've clearly ran out of 0191 numbers.
  • Options
    The two football clubs in the Newcastle metropolitan area are so close together that they aren't allowed to play at home on the same day, ditto North London, Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham etc.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

So is there an actual official figure for number of cases over the past few days?

The figures on the dashboard are up to date, the extra cases have all been added in at this point.
    The cases by publish date for 3 and 4 October include 15,841 additional cases with specimen dates between 25 September and 2 October — they are therefore artificially high for England and the UK.

So for the days that they were added on, the reporting-day numbers are much higher than they should/would be. As in "today we added x cases to the data".

They are visible in the by specimen date data as well - assigned to the correct days.

Not quite increasing at the rate of the infamous "not a prediction", but rather concerning none the less.
    Looking at the hospitalisations for England, they've doubled three times since the bottom level in late August (45 per day up to 378 per day). Three more doublings would put us back at the highest level it reached in April.
  • Options

The two football clubs in the Newcastle metropolitan area are so close together that they aren't allowed to play at home on the same day, ditto North London, Manchester, Liverpool, Nottingham etc.

I would love to see you wander around Sunderland with a sandwich board saying Sunderland AFC is a small club in Newcastle metropolitan area.
  • Options
    Now to debate software eng vs dev, is there really a difference, or is there not.

I happen to think there probably isn't a difference - but software eng titles seem to get paid more (from my experience)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. 86, not super au fair with football, but isn't there a clause in the Spurs' governing rules that makes it illegal for them to successfully contend for a title?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Football: Leicester are 51 to win the title. Seems a bit long given early standings and results for the likes of Liverpool and Manchester City.

Everton 4th favourite at 20-1.
    As a Blue that is a ridiculously skinny price.
    Can get better on Arsenal, United as well as Spurs.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941
    Floater said:

Scott_xP said:
    They are lucky they don't haver any high incidence areas in Wales.....

Oh wait....
    The question is whether the English incidence will be even higher. Especially after the latest mess with file size.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Nope I live in Newcastle, in a home built 2.5 years ago. They've clearly ran out of 0191 numbers.
    The 01661 is a snob value code.
    Like being in Northumberland and not on the Metro.
    Despite all this Ponteland and Darras Hall still aren't in the Tyne Valley.
    And Prudhoe is.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,052
    edited October 2020

People nerdily obsessed with political minutiae also have a higher proportion than average interest in other nerdy pastimes and professions shocker.

We'll probably discover Scifi fans to boot. :)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    Dura_Ace said:

This discussion entirely validates my decision to spend my youth falling off motorbikes and blowing up Mercs on golf courses rather than fucking around with computers.

A lot more IT experts than hairdressers on here, that's for sure. Great for when the hot topic of the day is a government excel spreadsheet cockup. Less so for those times when it's people's haircuts in the spotlight.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

Yeah any time I've ever needed to parse something like that it uses headers and then loops the process down rows (think my record is 7.7m rows in a CSV). Columns for case data is just so odd as a concept.
    We had a 2 billion+ records in a db table, I think if you tried to export to a CSV Oracle would send somebody round to shout at you
    Lol! We had someone try and download a 101m record table with around 30 fields into a CSV from GCP. He got shouted at by the sysadmin.
    One of my staff did something similar.

I asked them to a transactions report by weekly total, instead they pulled every transaction in every week for the calendar year.

Now I work for a company with a major retail/consumer banking operation...
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

Yeah any time I've ever needed to parse something like that it uses headers and then loops the process down rows (think my record is 7.7m rows in a CSV). Columns for case data is just so odd as a concept.
    We had a 2 billion+ records in a db table, I think if you tried to export to a CSV Oracle would send somebody round to shout at you
    Lol! We had someone try and download a 101m record table with around 30 fields into a CSV from GCP. He got shouted at by the sysadmin.

I asked them to a transactions report by weekly total, instead they pulled every transaction in every week for the calendar year.

Did you get any luck on the Twitter iOS issue?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Well this season ends in a one...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    My XSLX into CSV script theory starting to make more sense.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

This discussion entirely validates my decision to spend my youth falling off motorbikes and blowing up Mercs on golf courses rather than fucking around with computers.

A lot more IT experts than hairdressers on here, that's for sure. Great for when the hot topic of the day is a government excel spreadsheet cockup. Less so for those times when it's people's haircuts in the spotlight.
    Good thing too.
    I don't want to have to preface every post with my holiday plans.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

I've had a play with it and not managed to replicate the issues.
  • Options

I would love to see you wander around Sunderland with a sandwich board saying Sunderland AFC is a small club in Newcastle metropolitan area.
    I would never say that.

Sunderland are a massive club.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    dixiedean said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

And Prudhoe is.
    Maybe it will stick a few extra Ks on the house price. 🤷‍♂️ Result.

Obviously I don't actually have a landline so the area code is a complete irrelevance.

My closest Metro station (as the crow flies anyway) is the Airport.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

Go to pb Vanilla, click a post from the homepage section and it takes ages to load. No luck with that?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829
    edited October 2020
    Just pray you don't end up in a North Carolina ICU this week...

‘Trump was sent from God!’: MAGA country brings the rally to a stricken president
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/05/maga-supporters-walter-reed-trump-covid-426295
    ...Tamara, a nurse from North Carolina in a star-spangled MAGA hat who declined to give her last name, had driven five hours that morning to keep vigil for a short while with her teenage daughter and small dog. She had to drive the five hours back home that night so she could make her shift the next morning.

“I feel that there’s more power in prayer, to be honest,” she said, trying to keep a giant homemade “WE HEART TRUMP” sign from flying off a barricade. “So I wanted to come here and be with people and actually be near him as much as possible to pray for him.”...
  • Options
    There was once a proposal for NUFC and SAFC to share a ground in Gateshead.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

And Prudhoe is.

Obviously I don't actually have a landline so the area code is a complete irrelevance.

Wait, NOT being on the Metro increases your house price? WTF?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

Go to pb Vanilla, click a post from the homepage section and it takes ages to load. No luck with that?
    Same with me but I thought it was because my iPhone was ancient.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

Will try again later on today.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    They were using Excel as a database, Excel isn't a database.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

I got me an 11 Pro. Same issue.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

Ah, iPhone 6 for me. Yours is in a different league entirely.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017

dixiedean said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

And Prudhoe is.

The difference of course is that for make and take, Mackems say mack and tack and Geordies myek and tyek. Hence the name.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

And Prudhoe is.

Nah, the Metro does increase your house price. It's just the super posh areas to the West and North of the City do not have direct access to the Metro. The Tyne Valley does have mainline services to Newcastle Central though.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

The steroids have really kicked in!

Still running then, on the face of it.
    Yes. I think these are genuinely him. No-one else would put out such a stream of tweets on his account.

It all sounds a bit desperate. Not up to his usual standard. He's putting a brave face on it but he's not well. He needs to rest.
    That is exactly the word. Desperate. My mental image is from Dr Who. One of the old ones where the Chief Dalek was unplugged and went into its death spiral - rattling around and chuntering "exterminate exterminate" faster and faster in a higher and higher pitch until the smoke started billowing and it blew up.
  • Options

There was once a proposal for NUFC and SAFC to share a ground in Gateshead.

About fifteen years ago a friend of mine was commissioned to write a report on the future of professional football in Scotland.

In England there are 92 professional clubs from a population of 55 million and in Scotland there's 40 professional clubs from a population of five million, the report concluded that there were just too many professional football clubs in Scotland, so urged mergers of club.

So instead of Dundee United and Dundee there should be one Dundee City, in Edinburgh merge Hearts and Hibs into Edinburgh United, and the pièce de résistance, but if you were consistent you had to merge Celtic and Rangers into Glasgow United.

I think rivers of blood might be the most optimistic scenario if anyone tried to merge Rangers and Celtic.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,848
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    While it may be what happened it still doesn't make sense.

Presumably when the test is done they use software to enter the results. They should be having that software write the data to the track and trace db directly as well as where ever it normally writes it.

Where as it sounds like its in addition fill out a column or row in a spread sheet and at the end of the day upload the spread sheet where you get human error in the entering the initial data and transcribing that data phase. Automation should be a no brainer here
  • Options
    Us poor public sector types increasingly have to use Excel as a database because all our IT departments refuse to support Access ;)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    But that doesn't make any sense. It's literally impossible to do that and it sounds like a political source told a political lobby journalist they were doing this.

I'm not convinced that everything that's in the press about this is true. Anyone who has had more than 5 minutes of data experience knows that it's not possible to use Excel as a db, even MS know that which is why they have Access for consumer db use and SQL server for businesses.

The columns for case data makes no sense and neither do the file size limitations. I can't say for sure what did happen but I'm pretty sure the first of those definitely didn't.
  • Options
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

And Prudhoe is.

Nah, the Metro does increase your house price. It's just the super posh areas to the West and North of the City do not have direct access to the Metro. The Tyne Valley does have mainline services to Newcastle Central though.
    Posh Geordies? LOL
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:
    But that doesn't make any sense. It's literally impossible to do that and it sounds like a political source told a political lobby journalist they were doing this.

I'm not convinced that everything that's in the press about this is true. Anyone who has had more than 5 minutes of data experience knows that it's not possible to use Excel as a db, even MS know that which is why they have Access for consumer db use and SQL server for businesses.

The columns for case data makes no sense and neither do the file size limitations. I can't say for sure what did happen but I'm pretty sure the first of those definitely didn't.
    Okay they used Excel to "represent" a database then
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Toyota and Nissan demand UK cover tariffs if no EU deal reached
    https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Toyota-and-Nissan-demand-UK-cover-tariffs-if-no-EU-deal-reached

Potentially billions per annum.
  • Options

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

AlistairM said:

Happens to me (ancient iphone 6s). But i can speed it up by clicking "stop loading"(X) as it appears to stall half way through the process. Then it loads.
  • Options
    Talking of trains, has anyone heard from @Sunil_Prasannan recently?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Don't Toyota and Nissan know the UK holds all the cards, the EU will pay, not the UK.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

How? I don't know what mechanism could be used to actually make that happen. How would you query it?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,437

The thought process when I've seen it happen is that the first thing the person has done is to list the different fields they want the data for. Then you've naturally got your field names in column 1, and so you add your records from left to right.

There's no reason why it is better one way or another. The size the data is the same, and switching from one to the other is the sort of thing that a computer should be able to do easily.

It's 2020 and the world's leading data record system allows you to have 64 more rows than columns for what reason? Convention? Tradition?

Why should it matter?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    Imperial "Hotspot" (cases > 50/100,000) predictor:

https://imperialcollegelondon.github.io/covid19local/#map
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Don't Toyota and Nissan know the UK holds all the cards, the EU will pay, not the UK.
    They have no interest in the cards; just the distribution of the pot.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2020
    Gunnersaurus let go by Arsenal as mascot becomes latest victim of coronavirus cost-cutting. Jerry Quy, who has dressed up as the friendly green dinosaur at home matches since 1993, is the latest victim of the club's streamlining measures in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/gunnersaurus-let-go-arsenal-mascot-latest-victim-coronavirus-costcutting-a4563256.html

This kind of penny pinching looks horrendous, when you think about how much they will spend on players, agent fees, etc. I can't imagine them pay him very much at all in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

How? I don't know what mechanism could be used to actually make that happen. How would you query it?
    My bet is that they were loading the stuff into Excel and were getting all the analysis they needed using Excel functions. It is quite powerful in that regard and was probably done at the behest of one of these non-IT but Excel wizards (we've all met them) who use Excel for everything.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

That would have been true pre covid - now there a lot of amateur hairdressers on here!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

My bet is that they were loading the stuff into Excel and were getting all the analysis they needed using Excel functions. It is quite powerful in that regard and was probably done at the behest of one of these non-IT but Excel wizards (we've all met them) who use Excel for everything.
    Excel is also a lot more powerful these days than it used to be when there was an automatic limit on number of rows etc at around 65k.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,176

dixiedean said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

And Prudhoe is.

Posh Geordies? LOL
    Isn't Cummings basically a Posh Geordie?
  • Options

The "Change in New Infections" tab is the most worrying. Increasing pretty much everywhere apart from Caerphilly curiously.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

That would have been true pre covid - now there a lot of amateur hairdressers on here!
    Unfortunately, I don't think my barber will be seeing me again. Bought myself a decent pair of clippers and found for a men's short, back and sides type cut, I can make a decent job of it.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    Scott_xP said:
    Utter cr*p from the Welsh Government. This is testing devolution beyond breaking point.

I cannot see any good reason why one set of UK authorities should be able to look at the same scientific evidence and come up with a completely different set of highly intrusive restrictions on daily life than does another based on the same evidence. What's worse is authorities that insist on applying even more restrictive rules on one group of people compared to other groups, the main difference being that the former does not have the right to ultimately vote the authorities out whereas the latter does.

A lot of the confusion over the myriad of lockdown rules could be avoided if there were a single set of rules across the UK, with a traffic light system of severity applying in different areas, applied in consultation with the relevant local authorities or regional governments. There should on the back of the pandemic be a review of the extent to which current devolution of powers should be reversed during a national emergency affecting the UK as a whole.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Therefore can I conclude that no one has an accurate figure for cases over the weekend?
    Thats the "by reporting date" graph.

The "by specimen date" graph, the only one you should be using is now accurate.
    Yes I see my error now.
    Basic errors seem to be spreading exponentially...
    We’ve hit an err rate of 1.8.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Good thing too.
    I don't want to have to preface every post with my holiday plans.
    :smile: - That is one of those stereotypes that is true. But I'm lucky. I have mine cut by a Korean chap who says very little.
  • Options

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Absolutely. The main take home is that cases are actually still climbing rapidly rather than, as the incomplete data appeared to indicate, levelling off. The rest is just nit-picking.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Of course it's possible to use Excel as a DB - people do it informally all the time. In fact, the main use of Excel is probably for informal record keeping rather than for calculation. I, for example, keep spreadsheets of things like expenses or bugs to fix. Of course there are tools better suited to such tasks, but Excel is great for quick or temporary solutions.

If you wanted, you could also write scripts to query and write to an Excel spreadsheet just as you would a DB. Obviously this is not at all a good idea, but you could do it.
  • Options
    Johnson/the UK Government seems to believe that every time they manage to get somebody senior in the EU to say "we want a deal", that that equates to "we will make whatever concessions are necessary to get a deal".

Whilst applying some sort of cognitive dissonance to fail to notice that the UK Government says exactly the same thing ("we want a deal") whilst believing that they will make no concessions to get it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941

Scott_xP said:
    Utter cr*p from the Welsh Government. This is testing devolution beyond breaking point.

I cannot see any good reason why one set of UK authorities should be able to look at the same scientific evidence and come up with a completely different set of highly intrusive restrictions on daily life than does another based on the same evidence. What's worse is authorities that insist on applying even more restrictive rules on one group of people compared to other groups, the main difference being that the former does not have the right to ultimately vote the authorities out whereas the latter does.

A lot of the confusion over the myriad of lockdown rules could be avoided if there were a single set of rules across the UK, with a traffic light system of severity applying in different areas, applied in consultation with the relevant local authorities or regional governments. There should on the back of the pandemic be a review of the extent to which current devolution of powers should be reversed during a national emergency affecting the UK as a whole.
    On your logic, we shouldn't ban incomers from, say, the United States, because they don't have the vote in the UK.

• Options

The "Change in New Infections" tab is the most worrying. Increasing pretty much everywhere apart from Caerphilly curiously.
    Caerphilly was the first area of Wales to go into local lockdown. If the restrictions are working it should be heading in the right direction
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    VLOOKUP is trending on twitter :D
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Wouldn't HLOOKUP be more appropriate, given what we know?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

:D
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    Pulpstar said:

Has the government finally pivoted?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    Predicted chances of a Trump victory down to 18% on 538 now. Dropping day by day.
  • Options
    Eh? What do those foreign bureaucrats know anyway? Johnson has never backed down! Surely?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847

Pulpstar said:

Has the government finally pivoted?
    It certainly wouldn't be this government's final pivot.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Above, I look forward to seeing what action Boris Johnson 2020 takes that Boris Johnson 2021 considers unacceptable.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912

Predicted chances of a Trump victory down to 18% on 538 now. Dropping day by day.

It's been slowly but steadily dropping for over a week now. But remember, 18% is the same chance as rolling a six.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Predicted chances of a Trump victory down to 18% on 538 now. Dropping day by day.</blockquote

Soon Trump's chances will be less than zero.

• Options
    The first rule of computing is Don't Use Excel For Anything Serious. It's fine for producing trivial budgets and pretty graphs, but absolutely useless for anything serious. Quite apart from anything else, it's extremely difficult to debug or audit, exceptionally prone to cut-and-paste bugs which won't be obvious, and exceptionally vulnerable to bugs caused by minor changes. Nearly all large Excel spreadsheet systems are completely riddled with bugs.
  • Options

Mr. Above, I look forward to seeing what action Boris Johnson 2020 takes that Boris Johnson 2021 considers unacceptable.

I think the options are no deal or extend on almost current terms until 2024 (that date of course not cynically chosen to put Brexit at the centre of the next GE).
  • Options

The first rule of computing is Don't Use Excel For Anything Serious. It's fine for producing trivial budgets and pretty graphs, but absolutely useless for anything serious. Quite apart from anything else, it's extremely difficult to debug or audit, exceptionally prone to cut-and-paste bugs which won't be obvious, and exceptionally vulnerable to bugs caused by minor changes. Nearly all large Excel spreadsheet systems are completely riddled with bugs.

I actually do use Excel for something very serious, those pretty datawrapper charts you see in PB thread headers.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,914
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought you were supposed to use INDEX and MATCH these days?
This discussion has been closed.