Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some frightening polling from America – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Now with the winter drawing in, limited opportunity to exercise outside, I am going to be one of those twats who buys a Peleton aren't I....

A bit of rain never hurt anyone, I went out for a lovely run in the rain this morning
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    edited October 2020
    Fishing said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The country is insane, it really is. Maybe Trump is the correct choice after all. Who wants a vaguely normal President?
    Unlike the neo-nazi LARPers, these guys seem to understand trigger discipline.
    Even if that were true do you really think this is ok? It's just mad. Completely mad.
    The only way the US will ever agree to gun control is if black Americans arm themselves...
    Eh? 32% of blacks have guns at home. Less than whites (49%), but hardly an unarmed people.
    Whoever wins the election there's going to be trouble afterwards.

Lol 1-4
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346
    Hmm. Odd move to be prescribing dexamethasone if he’s really not that unwell. Recovery trial data showed it only really has an effect on people who were headed to ICU. Of course, it’s Trump. He probably demanded all the treatments and Dr Nick didn’t say no.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited October 2020
    kinabalu said:

He is beating the pussy virus!

Blood oxygen now admitted to be below 93 at some point - and vague as to whether it went into the 80s - doesn`t sound good to me. Foxy?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

This is getting a bit out of hand. Correct me if I`m wrong but NFAC are not black supremacists - by which I mean they are not racists like white supremacist groups. NFAC do not think that black people are superior to white people, they just allege inequality. So, I agree, false equivalence.

I trust that we can all agree that a group - any group of people (or any individual for that matter) - who march down a street with machine guns should be arrested?

Unfortunately we can't agree, if it is an open carry state then it is legal, just as the armed gunmen who went to the Michigan state house didn't do anything illegal.

It terrifies me that both are legal in America. Fortunately we don't see things like that here.
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited October 2020

OnboardG1 said:

While the media goes on about white supremacists...

twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1312739757428895745

So are you saying white supremacists are not bad because there's some black supremacists about?
    It's also a false equivalence. There are very few black supremacists and they're a marginalised group within the larger community. There are lots of white supremacists, they're carrying guns and taking orders from the President.
    How did I know excuses will be found for this lot?
    Perhaps you can direct us towards your past condemnations of Trump and white supremacists?
    I completely condemn all white supremacists.

There ^
    Not what I asked.
    What do you want me to say?
    Just a link to your previous condemnation of white supremacists prior to today, otherwise you're a hypocrite.
    Why doesn't today count?

Can you show me your condemnation of black supremacists ever?
    The tit-for-tat nature of your argument seems to rest on the premise that white and black supremacism are threats of equal seriousness.

That is evidently not the case . White supremacy is a historical fact, it has caused enormous suffering for centuries - and, arguably, still persists to some degree to this very day.

Black supremacy appears like some kind of awkward joke from 1970's Blaxploitation movies. The idea that some hundred NFAC larpers will take over America is utterly risible.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,032
    Arming the Man Utd defence might be an answer.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,688
    kinabalu said:

There is a joke there to be made, but I decided it was tasteless.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

Alistair said:
    It's a miracle! (Not Betfair).
    The remarkable thing is that every single day he is really well and doing marvellously - despite having been really quite poorly on the previous day.
  • Options

Stocky said:

This is getting a bit out of hand. Correct me if I`m wrong but NFAC are not black supremacists - by which I mean they are not racists like white supremacist groups. NFAC do not think that black people are superior to white people, they just allege inequality. So, I agree, false equivalence.

I trust that we can all agree that a group - any group of people (or any individual for that matter) - who march down a street with machine guns should be arrested?

Unfortunately we can't agree, if it is an open carry state then it is legal, just as the armed gunmen who went to the Michigan state house didn't do anything illegal.

It terrifies me that both are legal in America. Fortunately we don't see things like that here.
    Agreed. I did say "should". That it is legal to carry a machine gun is astonishing to me.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

I've got a great joke about coronavirus symptoms, but it's really tasteless.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,350
    kinabalu said:

Now he's beating it, I suggest it is the very, very bad, terrible, deadly Chynna virus, that onlynational heroes and patriots survive.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

You could buy a couple of second hand Russian tanks and park them across the field for an equivalent cost. Might be
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Agreed. I did say "should". That it is legal to carry a machine gun is astonishing to me.
    Technically not a machine gun. Those are illegal apart from antiques. They’re automatic rifles, which are probably as deadly in most of the situations that you’d find in the average American hooray in.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,617
    edited October 2020
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

It is the biggest difference between the UK and the US is the gun culture.

In this country we had one school shooting and all the political parties decided to restrict gun use in this country to try and ensure there was no repeat.

In America they don't give a shit, I'm glad I live here.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    dixiedean said:

Well stranger things have happened. Like Everton having Ancelotti for a manager and getting Rodriguez apparently for a transfer fee of precisely nowt.
  • Options
    Next storm names:

Storm Boris
    Storm Covid
    Storm Donald
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

If you're saying it shouldn't be legal to march with machine guns then yes I agree.

This is one area where I am not a libertarian, I simply think that personal machine guns, weapons of mass destructions etc shouldn't be legal even if that is an illiberal stance.

What NFAC are doing is legal though. Hopefully the 'wrong kind of people' exercising their rights may get some Americans to think twice about those rights.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

I think Hollywood has a lot to do with it. ARs are portrayed as fun things which go dadadadadadada and don't do much harm - far less lethal than the hero doing that flying through the air with a pistol in each hand thing.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

It is the biggest difference you say between the UK and the US is the gun culture.

In this country we had one school shooting and all the political parties decided to restrict gun use in this country to try and ensure there was no repeat.

The safety aspect is massively different too. Range safety is taken exceptionally seriously and we have strict storage rules for firearms and ammunition. You get the odd gun nut complaining about it but most of the UK sports shooters take things seriously. The fact that entire YouTube channels of gun based stupidity exist tells you the attitude to firearm safety amongst a vocal minority of gun owners in the states.
  • Options

Next storm names:

Storm Boris
    Storm Covid
    Storm Donald

Storm Stormy
    Storm Stormzy
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,375
    He had a
    kjh said:

kinabalu said:

Bet it was a funny one but good call. Best that I imagine it.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,447
    Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1312739757428895745

Its a legal demonstration in an "open carry" state isn't it? Or should the 2nd Amendment only apply to white people?

Most of them look like they are struggling with the pace and the equipment.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

If you're saying it shouldn't be legal to march with machine guns then yes I agree.

This is one area where I am not a libertarian, I simply think that personal machine guns, weapons of mass destructions etc shouldn't be legal even if that is an illiberal stance.

What NFAC are doing is legal though. Hopefully the 'wrong kind of people' exercising their rights may get some Americans to think twice about those rights.
    I often disagree with a lot of things people post on here, but the reason I keep dropping intermittently in is because I like finding common ground with people I usually vehemently disagree with. I miss that from other internet shouting factories.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Scott_xP said:
    Makes it sound like the virus was listening in to the press conference, ready to determine its next move after what it heard :)
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

I often disagree with a lot of things people post on here, but the reason I keep dropping intermittently in is because I like finding common ground with people I usually vehemently disagree with. I miss that from other internet shouting factories.
    Talking about internet shouting factories, where is Malcy @malcolmg ? He`s not posted for a month.

Hope he`s not found another group to be rude to.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,032

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

As did Reagan 're the Black Panthers in California.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Blood oxygen now admitted to be below 93 at some point - and vague as to whether it went into the 80s - doesn`t sound good to me. Foxy?
    It's a pity that @Foxy is unable to pop over, take a shufty, and report back. Impossible to trust Team Trump info on this (or indeed anything).
  • Options
    The Special One is going to be so smug smashing Man Utd. In the documentary, he seemed overly focused on winning against his old clubs over everything else. I don't think he went a team talk without mentioning Chelsea.
  • Options
    What i don't remotely understand is the choreography.

Have an official briefing that Trump is fine and doing well. Instantly issue an "off the record" briefing that he had some difficulties. Next day issue an official briefing that the "off the record" briefing the day before was closer to the truth.

If they're not actually interested in telling the truth then what actual message are they trying to convey???
  • Options
    So in the 4d chess world, is Trump seriously ill and they are hiding it or are they trying to show a bit of leg that he was perhaps morr sick than they let on and when he leaves hospital tomorrow his reputation as the man who duffed up the Vvchina virus with ease?
  • Options
  • Options

So in the 4d chess world, is Trump seriously ill and they are hiding it or are they trying to show a bit of leg that he was perhaps morr sick than they let on and when he leaves hospital tomorrow his reputation as the man who duffed up the Vvchina virus with ease?

The latter imho.

We will not hear the last of it if he shakes this off in a couple of days or so.

Only losers die from this etc etc.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Couldn't they at least provide the specimen/test date to allow the figures to be altered retrospectively? (as eg. happened when they changed all the figures for deaths to 28- days only)?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,510
    Scott_xP said:
    What Track & Trace?

Halloween this year is going to be a blast.
  • Options
    Obviously these decisions are taken by nurses.
  • Options

I think the spin will be he's so tough, the political Chuck Norris, and don't worry it's not really fatal.
  • Options

The Special One is going to be so smug smashing Man Utd. In the documentary, he seemed overly focused on winning against his old clubs over everything else. I don't think he went a team talk without mentioning Chelsea.

Maybe he should set his sights a bit higher than clubs in the bottom half of the table. Set himself a real challenge, see if he can beat Newcastle or West Ham before moving on to the likes of Everton and Leicester.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Is this 'lost a stash of data' a bit like when Dido Harding lost a stash of thousands of TalkTalk customers personal data?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Have an official briefing that Trump is fine and doing well. Instantly issue an "off the record" briefing that he had some difficulties. Next day issue an official briefing that the "off the record" briefing the day before was closer to the truth.

If they're not actually interested in telling the truth then what actual message are they trying to convey???

I don't know what message they're trying to convey, but the message they are conveying is that they are running round like headless chickens.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Couldn't they at least provide the specimen/test date to allow the figures to be altered retrospectively? (as eg. happened when they changed all the figures for deaths to 28- days only)?
    That graph/data is already available. The media just don't understand what it means.
  • Options

I think the spin will be he's so tough, the political Chuck Norris, and don't worry it's not really fatal.
    The walk to the helicopter infront of the camera had the play of a reality tv moment. Normally a sick VIP gets taken away out of sight of everybody.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

As always, whatever the reader wants to here, enveloped in a world of chaos where all facts become dubious and enemies are easy to find.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    I don't think the poll about political violence is that surprising. All the far-left kids writing in lower case on Twitter and Tumblr like to talk about stringing their elders up to get the houses.
  • Options
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,843
    Floater said:

Foxy said:

Its a legal demonstration in an "open carry" state isn't it? Or should the 2nd Amendment only apply to white people?

I believe the point was about the media coverage, not the legality.

A fact you well know Foxy.
    It does seem to be getting media coverage. They are even discussing it on the other side of the Atlantic as a result.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,080

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

It is the biggest difference between the UK and the US is the gun culture.

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1819576527
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,080

Next storm names:

Storm Boris
    Storm Covid
    Storm Donald

Storm Daniels?
  • Options

alex_ said:

As always, whatever the reader wants to here, enveloped in a world of chaos where all facts become dubious and enemies are easy to find.
    Yep i suppose that makes sense. Put out simultaneous versions that he is at death's door, struggling, perfectly fine etc etc, and then once the thing has unfolded make fun/criticise anyone who tried to build a narrative based on the 'wrong' version.
  • Options

The atmosphere of the briefings indicates to me that he is not seriously ill.
  • Options

Foxy said:

So white supremacists = universal condemnation.

Black supremacists = it's a legal demonstration, no problemo.

Complete double standards.
    You may want to point out my condemnation of white supremacists demonstrating peacefully then. I don't recall condemning any demonstrations.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Is this 'lost a stash of data' a bit like when Dido Harding lost a stash of thousands of TalkTalk customers personal data?
    It's data from university labs. They run their own tests because they have the means.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    kinabalu said:

Then why the dexamethasone? It’s madly contradictory.
  • Options

The latter imho.

We will not hear the last of it if he shakes this off in a couple of days or so.

Only losers die from this etc etc.
    Doubt he'll be dumb enough to play it like that. That would be terminal for 3/11.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,004
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Makes it sound like the virus was listening in to the press conference, ready to determine its next move after what it heard :)
    Shades of badgers moving the goalposts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24459424
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,781
    rcs1000 said:

Next storm names:

Storm Boris
    Storm Covid
    Storm Donald

Storm Daniels?
    I would send them a bottle of champagne if they came up with that one.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,634
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    They already do - the first batch of backdated data is already in the PHE database.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    edited October 2020

The walk to the helicopter infront of the camera had the play of a reality tv moment. Normally a sick VIP gets taken away out of sight of everybody.
    Americans are obsessed with the health of the President. It did seem very weird to watch a sick VIP walk across the lawn to a helicopter, rather than leaving via a back door in a plain car.

When the UK PM was in hospital, we got a written statement from his spox every few days or when something changed, as opposed to a major media event with numerous doctors every day that we see in Washington.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news-review/public-sector-v-private-sector-britains-new-culture-war-r7p7v2gs6

Well worth reading.

“They think they can turn the economy off and on as you might a car, without any damage. Businesses do not work like that. You need certainty and cash flow to be able to make payroll, pay bills and interest on loans, manage inventory and plan and invest for the future. Stop-start kills you.”

Osmond uses the restaurant business to illustrate his point: “If you introduce random new rules — telling a restaurant one day it can open and the next day it can’t, or not after 10pm — they can’t sell all the food they’ve bought, so it goes bad.

“If they can’t sell the food, can they afford to pay the firms that supplied it? What happens to the staffing rotas they have carefully drawn up? Do staff who were going to come in, but no longer can, get paid? It’s untenable.”

Things might have been different had ministers invited business leaders to sit alongside the scientists and academics on Sage, the government’s emergency advisory committee, Osmond says.

He points out that some social risks — for example, that 10pm pub closing would create crowds on the streets and encourage private house parties — would have become obvious had ministers “even bothered to talk to anyone in the hospitality sector for five minutes”.

He also accuses the government of failing to encourage workers back into city centre offices, boosting local cafés and restaurants, by making public transport safer for commuters.

“They didn’t fix the roof when the sun was shining and the infection rate low in August. It’s criminal,” he says.

The failure to support the private sector is a double whammy, business leaders say. As the country begins to emerge from the crisis and navigate Brexit, we will need entrepreneurs who can not only create millions of jobs but also establish thriving new businesses that pay corporation tax to help the government to invest even more to stimulate growth.”

Of course there’s a large amount of self-interest but still a lot of sense which the government seems blissfully oblivious to.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,673
    edited October 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Got to love this quack's special "Physician to the President" white coat.

Another Class-A A-hole serving Putinism the best he he know how - obviously a VERY low bar.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

kinabalu said:

Since it has been in the news everyone with Covid-19 asks for dexamethasone, or so my respiratory colleagues report. In the studies it only was of benefit to the severely ill. One of the biggest mistakes that doctors make with "special" patients is to not follow protocols.

If his Sat's have dropped and he has CT lung changes, then either he has had it for a week, or it is a particularly fulminant form. If the former, the politics of ignoring it are disastrous, if the latter medically so.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    It's data from university labs. They run their own tests because they have the means.
    I have heard it stated that some of the Universities tried not to provide the data - claiming confidentiality. According to the same source it took the mention of the legal requirements to report notifiable diseases before they would move. Apparently they weren't thrilled by the idea of being publicly identified as plague spots.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,223

Got to love this quacks special "Physician to the President" white coat.

Another Class-A A-hole serving Putinism the best he he know how - obviously a VERY low bar.

https://twitter.com/Gadgeagoogoo/status/1312440418882056194
  • Options

alex_ said:

I don't know what message they're trying to convey, but the message they are conveying is that they are running round like headless chickens.
    On behalf of the chickens, I must protest - kindly retract your fowl aspersions, sir!
  • Options
    Two things to note for football punters. High scoring games are now the norm.

Home advantage has gone, possibly even flipped to away advantage.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    Afternoon all :)

Part of me wonders whether any democracy can be described as "functional". There are huge inherent flaws within what should be a wonderful system but as WSC said, it's better than all the other systems on offer.

The poll cited in the thread header is a damning indictment of where populism gets you - polarisation, entrenched views and a divided society. The curiousity is the populists themselves would claim it's the opposite and they represent the majority of people against "vested interests" but isn't that so often the case - we all look for someone or something to blame for our own failings whether it's the wealthy, religion, the climate or something else?

This morning's (US) NBC/Washington Post poll has got plenty of people agitating. Some of the tweets have questioned the sampling - 538 has the pollster as an A- so it can't just be ignored. Interesting to see Trump still ahead 48-41 on the economy but Biden ahead now on law and order. A solid 51% are not considering Trump while only 36% are not considering Biden.

We don't know enough detail below that to draw any other conclusions.

In the state polling, CBS News/YouGov has Biden up seven in Pennsylvania and level with Trump in Ohio. On the basis of the recent polling, I've now moved Ohio into the TCTC column so I now have Biden winning the EC 284-122 with 132 TCTC at this time (most of those will I think end up with Trump).
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    OnboardG1 said:

kinabalu said:

My view is that this is (so far) a mild case. He did not need to go to hospital. He had no clinical need for extra oxygen or for dexamethasone. But for Donald Trump, the showman who is down in the polls with an election coming up, this is a situation to be milked for drama and concern and sympathy. He could have stayed in the White House and quietly isolated for the requisite period but that would have been too boring. Hence all this.

I could be wrong, and of course he could get genuinely very sick in the next few days, but that is my strong sense of what is happening at the moment.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news-review/public-sector-v-private-sector-britains-new-culture-war-r7p7v2gs6

Well worth reading.

“They think they can turn the economy off and on as you might a car, without any damage. Businesses do not work like that. You need certainty and cash flow to be able to make payroll, pay bills and interest on loans, manage inventory and plan and invest for the future. Stop-start kills you.”

Osmond uses the restaurant business to illustrate his point: “If you introduce random new rules — telling a restaurant one day it can open and the next day it can’t, or not after 10pm — they can’t sell all the food they’ve bought, so it goes bad.

“If they can’t sell the food, can they afford to pay the firms that supplied it? What happens to the staffing rotas they have carefully drawn up? Do staff who were going to come in, but no longer can, get paid? It’s untenable.”

Things might have been different had ministers invited business leaders to sit alongside the scientists and academics on Sage, the government’s emergency advisory committee, Osmond says.

He points out that some social risks — for example, that 10pm pub closing would create crowds on the streets and encourage private house parties — would have become obvious had ministers “even bothered to talk to anyone in the hospitality sector for five minutes”.

He also accuses the government of failing to encourage workers back into city centre offices, boosting local cafés and restaurants, by making public transport safer for commuters.

“They didn’t fix the roof when the sun was shining and the infection rate low in August. It’s criminal,” he says.

The failure to support the private sector is a double whammy, business leaders say. As the country begins to emerge from the crisis and navigate Brexit, we will need entrepreneurs who can not only create millions of jobs but also establish thriving new businesses that pay corporation tax to help the government to invest even more to stimulate growth.”

Of course there’s a large amount of self-interest but still a lot of sense which the government seems blissfully oblivious to.

Encouraging people back to city centres was always a silly idea. The market had decisively shifted and lots of small town businesses benefited. That smacks of the CBI’s influence bias towards larger chain hospitality. Other than that it makes some sense. I think the idea of Tim Martin sitting on SAGE is risible but consulting them through SPI-B is the obvious answer.
  • Options
    I just saw a commercial urging the confirmation of Amy Barrett on the NFL broadcast.

Slightly creepy...

Paid for by America First
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well worth reading.

Politicians never seems to understand the importance of certainty and stability. This has obviously applied to decisions on Covid in spades, but could equally apply to all the nonsense around Brexit. Constantly playing a lip service to the mantra that business needs to "prepare" for Brexit on whichever deadline is currently in place, but never actually acknowledging that you can't prepare for the unknown. And not thinking there's anything wrong with constantly taking negotiations on future arrangements down to the wire. There are people very senior in Government who genuinely seem to think that it is reasonable to still be negotiating on December 31st for something to come into force on Jan 1st.

The irony is that the certainty and stability was historically a major UK strength.

This is of course the point that the more sensible make about the "swedish model". Not what they were doing, but whatever they were doing they stuck to it.

Probably given fair warning pubs and restaurants could adapt their business models to 10pm closing. There is nothing sacred about 11pm or later. But not practically overnight. And not under the prospect that things might revert back at a future date making any such investment in new business models completely wasted.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    I have heard it stated that some of the Universities tried not to provide the data - claiming confidentiality. According to the same source it took the mention of the legal requirements to report notifiable diseases before they would move. Apparently they weren't thrilled by the idea of being publicly identified as plague spots.
    If that was their excuse reasoning, they deserve to be named and shamed.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I just saw a commercial urging the confirmation of Amy Barrett on the NFL broadcast.

Slightly creepy...

Paid for by America First

Surely writing a hundred letters to a hundred Senators, is better use of their money than trying to attract a hundred Senators with a broadcast TV advert?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    The Trump medical briefings are unintentionally hilarious. What a mess. I wonder at what point questions will be banned.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Surely writing a hundred letters to a hundred Senators, is better use of their money than trying to attract a hundred Senators with a broadcast TV advert?

I have to assume they want fans to write to their senators, or something
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Two things to note for football punters. High scoring games are now the norm.

Home advantage has gone, possibly even flipped to away advantage.

I've noticed that too. No crowds, more goals. Wonder why. Could it be that you are less likely to get over-amped and blow a chance when it's quiet. More likely to stay cool, pick your spot, slip it where it needs to go.
  • Options

The Trump medical briefings are unintentionally hilarious. What a mess. I wonder at what point questions will be banned.

They should get this chap to do the briefings.

• Options
    So i downloaded the NHS covid app. Whether it's generally good or not, the "risk data" is ridiculous isn't it?

1) High risk area - under local lockdown
    2) Medium risk area - your authority or neighbouring authority has high or rising levels of infects
    3) Low - it is inappropriate for anything to be in this category given the national situation.

Basically there must be some areas that don't meet the definition for 1) or 2) but aren't allowed to be in 3) because of the "national situation".

Sounds like they're missing a level ;)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well worth reading.

Stability is important but it's spoilt with the idea the government should be in the job of getting people into cities in order to make hospitality secure.

Sorry but that's just nonsense and special pleading by city venues. I don't think getting people into cities would eg help your daughter's business one iota would it?

What's needed is some certainty and ideas about issues that can be resolved ... Not trying to push people to work elsewhere as if that is a magic solution to the problems. It isn't.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    The full enquiry at the end of all this will either never happen or will be extremely funny. Permanent officials are already upset that Ministers are refusing to take responsibility for actions taken against their explicit instructions.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

OnboardG1 said:

kinabalu said:

My view is that this is (so far) a mild case. He did not need to go to hospital. He had no clinical need for extra oxygen or for dexamethasone. But for Donald Trump, the showman who is down in the polls with an election coming up, this is a situation to be milked for drama and concern and sympathy. He could have stayed in the White House and quietly isolated for the requisite period but that would have been too boring. Hence all this.

I could be wrong, and of course he could get genuinely very sick in the next few days, but that is my strong sense of what is happening at the moment.
    More likely, the virus has turned him into panicky jelly and he has insisted on getting every possible treatment right away.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    Possibly, even probably, but this is the problem with the testing regimes, where some areas get damned as "high covid areas, potentially subject to additional measures" simply because they are doing more testing, and therefore detecting more cases.

I read somewhere that Cambridge are testing every student. Because they offered their labs to the Govt, were declined, so decided to put them to useful use. I don't think Cambridge residents will be very happy if this leads to local lockdowns just because they are doing enormous levels of testing.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,002
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    But instead of explaining where they came from, the story is government incompetence. Plenty of that to go around, but not here.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

So i downloaded the NHS covid app. Whether it's generally good or not, the "risk data" is ridiculous isn't it?

1) High risk area - under local lockdown
    2) Medium risk area - your authority or neighbouring authority has high or rising levels of infects
    3) Low - it is inappropriate for anything to be in this category given the national situation.

Basically there must be some areas that don't meet the definition for 1) or 2) but aren't allowed to be in 3) because of the "national situation".

Sounds like they're missing a level ;)

One is us on the island. Next to no local cases, but everyone is trying to work out how on earth we got downgraded to medium a couple of weeks back. You may have cracked it.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    Possibly, even probably, but this is the problem with the testing regimes, where some areas get damned as "high covid areas, potentially subject to additional measures" simply because they are doing more testing, and therefore detecting more cases.

I read somewhere that Cambridge are testing every student. Because they offered their labs to the Govt, were declined, so decided to put them to useful use. I don't think Cambridge residents will be very happy if this leads to local lockdowns just because they are doing enormous levels of testing.
    Cambridge University are offering a test to every student living in College. It is not compulsory, and it is not every student.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    It seems to me that either Trump is in a pretty bad way, or the WH is doing an excellent job of making it look that way by claiming all is rosy but allowing enough unsettling hints to come through to cause a lot of concern, with the intent of producing a miracle recovery early next week to push Trump as the strong man who's beaten the 'Rona personally and can be trusted to beat it for the country.

Trouble is, this administration has proven itself to be so leaky, and so incompetent at spinning a line without it falling to pieces soon after, that the latter option seems barely credible.

Which leaves...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,436
    Many thanks and apologies 'cosi I can't remember who it was but great Arc Sottsass tip.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:
    But instead of explaining where they came from, the story is government incompetence. Plenty of that to go around, but not here.
    It's because the government aren't actually out there explaining things. I only know because my sister works for Imperial and she had to set aside money to integrate their reporting into the government system.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

OnboardG1 said:

kinabalu said:

More likely, the virus has turned him into panicky jelly and he has insisted on getting every possible treatment right away.
    Yes maybe so. Impossible to know for sure what's really going on. No doubt the truth will emerge.
This discussion has been closed.