Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some frightening polling from America – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,638

Barnesian said:

What percentage of Brits would say that they feel justified in using violence to achieve their political goals? Less than 5% I guess.

I fear higher than that.

On one extreme Farage has sometimes used the rhetoric of violence. On the other you will find many justify violence as a response to violence from the other side.

I could see us reaching 15%
    And a we saw with Brendan, when Brexit was seen to be threatened the usual democratic niceties were no longer applicable.
    At least one PB stalwart is very keen on state violence to be used in the preservation of his particular constitutional preference.
    We will go to the barricades to stop pineapple.

Or is it Radiohead.

I forget.
    It's the fiends who listen to Radiohead, put pineapple on pizza AND code in Python.

They are going to get tied to a pile of dynamite, when the revolution comes. Ronda Campesina style.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512

Now with the winter drawing in, limited opportunity to exercise outside, I am going to be one of those twats who buys a Peleton aren't I....

Last thing you’ll want is a whole bunch of cyclists in your back room
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    So we have had two polls by organisation both top rated by 538 showing completely different trends post-the debate (IBD and NBC).

That alone should make people stop and think about how well the polls can be trusted
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    David Frum gets a bit carried away:
    https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1312761022088916998

1980 margin is plausible - no polls have shown an 84 margin so very improbable.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416
    The country is insane, it really is. Maybe Trump is the correct choice after all. Who wants a vaguely normal President?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    12 percent turnout in Wisconsin so far.

A Wisconsin that is seeing Coronavirus spiral out of control and the GOP have just filed a court case to overturn the Dem governors mask mandate.

The Wisconsin GOP had an in person convention.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    We haven't got nearly enough here. We need something seriously special from Taylor and Higgins.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,453

IanB2 said:

Things 'bumpy to Christmas and beyond' - PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54407656

Its the current situation until next summer isn't it....

Another Bozo classic, ‘Christmas and beyond’ being utterly devoid of any useful information.
    In this case, I honestly think the behavioural insight people are telling him to say this. From the beginning there has been a careful nudge nudge nudge of the time line. Lets get through to summer, lets get through to Christmas, etc.

If he had just come out and said ok folks, I think 2 years looks at the right timeline, I think anti-lockdown sentiment would have been a lot stronger. Instead loads of people said, yeah I can do 3 months, lets flatten the curve etc, then summer and a vaccine in September, happy days.

Now we keep getting primed with lets get through to Christmas, vaccine coming start of next year....
    Betting the farm on a vaccine rather than getting us prepared to learn to live with it.

Brave Johnson, brave.

• Options
    Gloucestershire trying to be the first team in the history of hit and giggle to go at less than a run a ball.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

David Frum gets a bit carried away:
    https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1312761022088916998

1980 margin is plausible - no polls have shown an 84 margin so very improbable.

Improbable but there's been quite a few 14 to 15 point polls which isn't that far off.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

An FYI.

My history lesson starts at 7pm.

What are you learning about?
    Git, I'm educating PBers once more.
    Talking of education, the two best wicketkeeper batsmen in England go head to head in this semi - Foakes of Surrey, who is probably the best keeper in the world, and Bracey of Gloucestershire, who looks a very exciting prospect.
    That's because Jonny Bairstow is overseas playing in the IPL.
    The IPL is a different planet? Well, in fairness, no argument from me looking at some of the people who run it.
    The match in progress now is taking place about two miles away from me.

Sadly, behind closed doors, which is why I'm not there!
  • Options
    SO MPs who have spouted loud and long about how concerned they are about the government's position and then quietly followed the whip in the Commons are not to be exposed as they hypocrites that they clearly are? You can see the appeal.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,638
    DavidL said:

The country is insane, it really is. Maybe Trump is the correct choice after all. Who wants a vaguely normal President?
    Unlike the neo-nazi LARPers, these guys seem to understand trigger discipline.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

A slight nerve settler for Trump Toasters on R4 at lunchtime from Allan Lichtman, the prof who predicted (mostly) the POTUS winners from 1984, including Trump in 2016 (though he'd also said he'd win the popular vote). He predicted Biden as Dem candidate and for him to win a couple of months ago, and is just as or more bullish now. He's certain Trump's Covid doesn't change the fundamentals based on his 13 Keys. Worth a listen, even if it sounds a touch voodoo-ey to me.

Yes, thanks. I've been wibbling on recently about how he might use getting sick to grab all the spotlight and change the mood but I have decided to stop it - because it's tosh - and return to my previous supreme and well-founded confidence. Intuition, common sense, the data, they all say the same thing. Donald Trump is unelectable for a 2nd term. He will lose on 3/11 and it won't be close.

Ah, that feels much better. Back to my old self. :smile:
    Lichtman sounded pretty partisan but I agree that any sympathy would be pretty limited, probably confined to those who are sympathetic to him already. He won't be getting much sympathy from the hundreds of thousands of covid victims, their relatives and friends and loved ones. When the natural sentimentality subsides, the hard fact will remain that he bears a large responsibility for his country's failure to address the crisis promptly and sensibly.
    Yes. It's more likely to cement things than move them. I actually think there is a good chance of a massive result - Trump as low as 150 in the EC - which is why I made 'Biden supremacy' my main bet. What I want now (and asap) is him out of hospital and the markets open again.
    Yes, we basically want him to follow broadly along Boris's path but it's the lap of the gods now. We're still in the 'could be nothing, could be fatal' stage.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Even if that were true do you really think this is ok? It's just mad. Completely mad.
  • Options
    Biden leads by 10 points as majority of Americans say Trump could have avoided coronavirus: Reuters/Ipsos poll

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-election-poll-idUSKBN26P0DT
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Gloucestershire trying to be the first team in the history of hit and giggle to go at less than a run a ball.

With Jason Roy in the other side this match could be over in about 4 overs of the Surrey innings.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

With Jason Roy in the other side this match could be over in about 4 overs of the Surrey innings.
    Even a side with Roy in isn't going to be bowled out in four overs.
  • Options
    Biden should just play the bit of the debate tape where Trump attacks him for wearing a mask. Over and over again on every TV ad from now until November.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,452
    MrEd said:

So we have had two polls by organisation both top rated by 538 showing completely different trends post-the debate (IBD and NBC).

That alone should make people stop and think about how well the polls can be trusted

Don't be silly. Statistical noise happens. Most of us are sensible enough to recognise that.

As Sunil says: Need more polls
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,857

DavidL said:

Mostly ex military. I had to look up who they are. Great name.

https://www.complex.com/life/not-fucking-around-coalition-grandmaster-jay-explainer
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Left field question: does anyone know if you can get Bitto Storico in the UK?

https://www.foodexplore.com/en/bitto-dop-cheese-price.html

say they export to the EU, which probably includes us until Christmas. Thank God we voted to put a stop to that sort of nonsense.
    Thanks for the link. That looks like fresh Bitto, which I was enjoying for lunch when I typed my post, having bought a wedge from Esselunga in Bergamo on Monday morning. But Bitto Storico is something else - already aged for 10-15 years.
    Ah OK. I know so little about this I initially assumed Bitto Storico was a weekly journal.

Italian's a tricky language. I once wasted months cos I wrote to the library in Florence asking for a copy of a manuscript and they kept sending back a PREVENTIVO and I kept thinking "uncooperative bastards."
  • Options
    The NBC poll isn't weighted by education.

Straight in the bin
  • Options
    I would have said that Gloucestershire would need at least 85 on this pitch to have a good chance. They're a long, long way short of that.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Even if that were true do you really think this is ok? It's just mad. Completely mad.
    The only way the US will ever agree to gun control is if black Americans arm themselves.

The name of their group amuses me.
  • Options

Biden should just play the bit of the debate tape where Trump attacks him for wearing a mask. Over and over again on every TV ad from now until November.

The fool has agreed to do no more negative campaigning whilst Trump is ill. Trump has refused to reciprocate.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The only way the US will ever agree to gun control is if black Americans arm themselves.

The name of their group amuses me.
    Like this?

https://youtu.be/yJqfNroFp8U
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,094
    HYUFD said:
    The national split of registered voters is something like 40 D, 32 I, 28 R. Now, independents and Democrats are probably less likely to vote, but Rasmussen's split seems just as out of line as NBC's.

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,053
    NBC has too many Dems in the sample and the IBD too many GOP supporters .
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Exclusive footage of the new Doctor giving the briefing.

• Options
    It seems that this is what the NFAC demonstration is about:

https://twitter.com/blevimyers/status/1312463129800974336?s=19
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited October 2020
    Alistair said:
    He has been in hospital for 72hrs, no I mean 48hrs, no I mean 2 days, 3 days....we have given him the antibody made by rreeggeneratoron...no regenerorn...no...he isn't on oxygen at this moment (looks to the window, for a nurse nodding)...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,860
    Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Trump:

You'll be back, soon you'll see
    You'll remember you belong to me
    You'll be back, time will tell
    You'll remember that I served you well
    Oceans rise, empires fall
    We have seen each other through it all
    And when push comes to shove
    I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love!

You been on the sherry, Barnesian?
    He is not the first to compare King Donald to George III.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 123
    Foxy said:

Perhaps this is the mask for you?

That's funny.

Thinking about it, a woolen mask might actually be a good idea since it's less likely to get soaked through. Not sure about a knitted one though - all those holes...
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The only way the US will ever agree to gun control is if black Americans arm themselves...
    That is indeed what happened in the 60s.
    Second Amendment absolutism has become more absolute since then.

• Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Goddamnit, why do I only spot my typos after I publish my pieces.

Just put it down to auto correct.

My chinese phone adds random apostrophes to anything ending in an s or a double l. Well becomes we'll and The Screaming Eagles becomes The Screaming Eagle's.

Misuse of the apostrophe as we all know is one of those capital offence error's. I mean errors.
    Good job you don't write much in Welsh, then!
    I was thinking of going to Ll'ane'lli later.
    Alternating lately with looking at PB and researching my Carmarthenshire ancestors. My grandfather married a girl from Breconshire but until then everyone on his side seems to have lived in, or moved to Glamorgan's mines from, Carmarthenshire.
    My family were all from Carmarthenshire's Gwendraeth Valley. Also known as the "outside half factory" of course.
    Isn’t researching family history in Wales basically impossible? All paths just lead to Jones etc within about 10 minutes?
  • Options
    A note on the poll in the header - respondents didn’t say that they would be prepared to contemplate using violence themselves.
    The poll is still disturbing, but the distinction (along with the degree to which they said they might be prepared to contemplate violence) is important.
  • Options
    The Suffolk University poll (A- 538) of Arizona yesterday also showed Biden doing disproportionately well with older voters. (Indeed, it showed Trump level with Biden among the youngest voters, which is definitely not what you'd expect.)
  • Options
    While the media goes on about white supremacists...

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1312739757428895745
  • Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but it's raining in Staffordshire, 15 miles from Edgbaston.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    edited October 2020

twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1312739757428895745

So are you saying white supremacists are not bad because there's some black supremacists about?
  • Options

Alistair said:
    Exclusive footage of the new Doctor giving the briefing.

No good. We want Zoidberg.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The Suffolk University poll (A- 538) of Arizona yesterday also showed Biden doing disproportionately well with older voters. (Indeed, it showed Trump level with Biden among the youngest voters, which is definitely not what you'd expect.)
    Isn't that the pattern in France too, with the older voters not liking Le Pen and the youngsters more split? The Association between age and right wing voting is much stronger in the UK than elsewhere, I believe.

• Options

So are you saying white supremacists are not bad because there's some black supremacists about?
    No I am saying they will only condemn white supremacists and not saying anything about this mob.
  • Options

No I am saying they will only condemn white supremacists and not saying anything about this mob.
    Who's "they"?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,375

Why does this mean the media should ignore white supremacists?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:
    The national split of registered voters is something like 40 D, 32 I, 28 R. Now, independents and Democrats are probably less likely to vote, but Rasmussen's split seems just as out of line as NBC's.

The original tweeter slightly misreports the situation. In fact, the NBC poll has a 35%/27% Democrat/Republican split, with 32% independent (but the independent is split into "strictly independent" - 13%, "independent, lean GOP" - 9%, and "independent - lean Dem" - 10%).

Looking at the 31 states that require registration by party, the split is about 40/30/30 (although I believe the remaining ones are on average more Republican). So the split is probably about right for a registered voter poll.

The tweeter also says it supposes a turnout advantage for Democrats. It doesn't - it supposes equal turnout among all groups. What it does - correctly - is say there are more registered Democrats than Republicans.

Where there is a more valid criticism of the NBC sample is that it has 38% with a four year college degree or more education. In fact, these made up 30% of 2016 voters and, whilst that number is edging up over time, it seems high.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346

It's also a false equivalence. There are very few black supremacists and they're a marginalised group within the larger community. There are lots of white supremacists, they're carrying guns and taking orders from the President.
  • Options

The white supremacists were just doing a preemptive counterattack
  • Options
    Fast start at Old Trafford.

Let us laugh at the £115 million centre back pairing of Manchester United.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited October 2020
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Isn't that the pattern in France too, with the older voters not liking Le Pen and the youngsters more split? The Association between age and right wing voting is much stronger in the UK than elsewhere, I believe.

No, as in France the centre-right candidate Fillon comfortably won over 65s in the first round in 2017, Macron only beat Le Pen with pensioners in the run off but Le Pen is the French equivalent of Nick Griffin, Fillon was the French Tory equivalent.

Trump as has been noted also won over 65s comfortably in 2016, though even here the Tories have not always won over 65s, Blair won them in 1997 for instance
  • Options

Fast start at Old Trafford.

Let us laugh at the £115 million centre back pairing of Manchester United.

Let us laugh some more.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The original tweeter slightly misreports the situation. In fact, the NBC poll has a 35%/27% Democrat/Republican split, with 32% independent (but the independent is split into "strictly independent" - 13%, "independent, lean GOP" - 9%, and "independent - lean Dem" - 10%).

Looking at the 31 states that require registration by party, the split is about 40/30/30 (although I believe the remaining ones are on average more Republican). So the split is probably about right for a registered voter poll.

The tweeter also says it supposes a turnout advantage for Democrats. It doesn't - it supposes equal turnout among all groups. What it does - correctly - is say there are more registered Democrats than Republicans.

Where there is a more valid criticism of the NBC sample is that it has 38% with a four year college degree or more education. In fact, these made up 30% of 2016 voters and, whilst that number is edging up over time, it seems high.
    Do you have a link to the demo breakdowns? I didn't see the education breakdowns when I perused the pdf.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

It's also a false equivalence. There are very few black supremacists and they're a marginalised group within the larger community. There are lots of white supremacists, they're carrying guns and taking orders from the President.
    How did I know excuses will be found for this lot?
  • Options

Who's "they"?
    The media as I mentioned in my post.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Perhaps you can direct us towards your past condemnations of Trump and white supremacists?
  • Options
    Trump slips to a 19% chance on 538. It will be interesting where the betting markets settle when they open again.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    OnboardG1 said:

Yep,the issue isn’t their existence per se, but the pandering to and encouraging of them by politicians led by Trump.

This is not generally the same on the left however much people try and skewer mainstream politicians supporting, say,the general BLM message by accusing them of supporting the more dubious groups trying to play on the the legitimate grievance to draw in support for extremist ideology.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Perhaps you can direct us towards your past condemnations of Trump and white supremacists?
    I completely condemn all white supremacists.

There ^
  • Options

Who's "they"?
    The media as I mentioned in my post.
    "The Media". Which media? Newspapers? TV networks? People on Twitter? You've created a bogeyman. I'm willing to bet a vast majority of the people involved in the categories I've just mentioned would condemn supremacists of all races.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

There ^
    Not what I asked.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,751
    So now the Doc tells us what he didn't tell us yesterday.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

No, you said something irrelevant. People said it was irrelevant. Not the same thing as excusing it.

Irrelevant. Excusable. Smaller. Further away. No one said this stuff was easy, but try to stay with us.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

There ^
    Not what I asked.
    What do you want me to say?
  • Options

Its a legal demonstration in an "open carry" state isn't it? Or should the 2nd Amendment only apply to white people?

• Options
    Foxy said:

Its a legal demonstration in an "open carry" state isn't it? Or should the 2nd Amendment only apply to white people?

The 2nd Amendment applies to the 'right' people. But sometimes they lisp.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Foxy said:

I believe the point was about the media coverage, not the legality.

A fact you well know Foxy.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953

OnboardG1 said:

There ^
    Can we all agree that they're all idiots?
    https://twitter.com/RubinReport/status/1311751216016228352
  • Options
    Foxy said:

So white supremacists = universal condemnation.

Black supremacists = it's a legal demonstration, no problemo.

Complete double standards.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

There ^
    Not what I asked.
    Just a link to your previous condemnation of white supremacists prior to today, otherwise you're a hypocrite.
  • Options
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

There ^
    Not what I asked.
    Just a link to your previous condemnation of white supremacists prior to today, otherwise you're a hypocrite.
    Why doesn't today count?

Can you show me your condemnation of black supremacists ever?
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    I'm still suspicious over whether he actually had it.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Do you have a link to the demo breakdowns? I didn't see the education breakdowns when I perused the pdf.
    It is in the poll pdf.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

There ^
    Not what I asked.
    Why doesn't today count?

There's one in the thread header for starters.
  • Options

Foxy said:

So white supremacists = universal condemnation.

Black supremacists = it's a legal demonstration, no problemo.

Complete double standards.
    Who appointed you Condemnation Czar anyway? If condemning black men is what floats your boat then you crack on to the full extent permitted by law, OK? And I'll adhere to my position that I don't think much of the Proud Boys. Live and let live.
  • Options

Alistair said:
    I'm still suspicious over whether he actually had it.
    It’s all happened very quickly, as if they are running through a storyline before getting back onto the campaign trail ASAP.

On the other hand the sheer number of people testing positive under a variety of medical establishments must mean that it is a genuine outbreak.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Why have they suspended the winning party market ?

It’s equivalent to saying campaigning should be suspended - a political statement.
    Very dodgy indeed.
  • Options
    That red card....
  • Options
    Right now Manchester United are getting more fecked than a stepmom on pornhub.
  • Options
    One could be forgiven for thinking that Betfair have joined the F#cking Around Coalition.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:
    Why have they suspended the winning party market ?

It’s equivalent to saying campaigning should be suspended - a political statement.
    Very dodgy indeed.
    The buggers didn't suspend the Dem nomination market when Bernie Sanders had his heart attack.
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    They say discharge but they don't say of what, from which orifice.

No doubt he has the virus, but everything they say and do about it looks focus group driven. Too many people have strongly agreed that being in hospital is for losers.
  • Options
    He is beating the pussy virus!
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The only way the US will ever agree to gun control is if black Americans arm themselves...
    Eh? 32% of blacks have guns at home. Less than whites (49%), but hardly an unarmed people.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,353
    Alistair said:
    It's a miracle! (Not Betfair).
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

OnboardG1 said:

There ^
    Not what I asked.
    Why doesn't today count?

There's one in the thread header for starters.
    This is getting a bit out of hand. Correct me if I`m wrong but NFAC are not black supremacists - by which I mean they are not racists like white supremacist groups. NFAC do not think that black people are superior to white people, they just allege inequality. So, I agree, false equivalence.

I trust that we can all agree that a group - any group of people (or any individual for that matter) - who march down a street with machine guns should be arrested?
This discussion has been closed.