Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why there won’t be a President Romney – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited October 2020 in General
Why there won’t be a President Romney – politicalbetting.com

pic.twitter.com/B4H105KVSs

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    I disagree. I'd be staggered, I mean really staggered, if Romney was not the next US President.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Thank you David for setting out the reasons why our parliamentary system is far superior to their presidential system.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    tlg86 said:

Thank you David for setting out the reasons why our parliamentary system is far superior to their presidential system.

Indeed, a system where letters to the editor of Times are part of the constitution is far superior.

Good things TSE isn't here... ;)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Senate Judiciary Committee has 22 members - 12 Republican and 10 Democrat.

Includes the two Republicans with Covid - Lee and Tillis.

If Lee and Tillis can't attend then a vote on Party lines would be 10-10. Would Graham (Republican Chairman) then have casting vote?

Even if he does, it all looks pretty precarious.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/about/members
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited October 2020
    FPT
    MikeL said:

Senate Judiciary Committee has 22 members - 12 Republican and 10 Democrat.

Includes the two Republicans with Covid - Lee and Tillis.

If Lee and Tillis can't attend then a vote on Party lines would be 10-10. Would Graham (Republican Chairman) then have casting vote?

Even if he does, it all looks pretty precarious.

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/about/members

From the replies to this thread, it sounds like the Judiciary Committee members can vote by proxy provided it has an in-person quorum, so as long as Lee and Tillis are conscious they can still vote. Dems can try to prevent a quorum on the committee but they can do that even without covid, because the rules require two members from the minority. The GOP can either just ignore their own rules or skip the committee and go straight to a vote on the Senate floor.

A more promising approach might be to make the actual *Senate* lose its quorum by hiding the entire Senate minority caucus. The Senate needs 51 and the GOP has 53, so they need to lose 2 to the RBG's Great Revenge Supercluster, or maybe 3 if the Dems need to send somebody down there to make the Quorum Call. But some of them have reelection races, and it's harder to run for reelection if you're holed up in a hotel in Cancun on the run from US law enforcement.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Thanks. Presume you mean the Senate needs 51.

If Collins and Murkowski really want to stop the nominee then if they + two with Covid would do it.
  • Options
    On topic, I think the thread is too rooted in orthodox processes and outcomes, and fails to adequately consider the possibility that something exceedingly ridiculous might happen.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Thanks. Presume you mean the Senate needs 51.

If Collins and Murkowski really want to stop the nominee then if they + two with Covid would do it.

Sorry, yes, edited to 51.

I doubt Collins and Murkowski care enough to go into hiding, OTOH I'm also not sure the ghost of RBG has finished laughing covid19 into the faces of GOP senators.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Thanks again.

Add Trump's Campaign Manger Bill Stepien to the list of those with Covid.

Trump
    Mrs Trump
    Hicks
    Conway
    Stepien
    Lee
    Tillis
  • Options
    Trump forced to go to hospital with a hoax virus. Shagger begging the EU not to destroy him with reality.

Welcome to the Weekend at Bernies
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    CNN: President Donald Trump is being treated at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for Covid-19 and has begun receiving an anti-viral drug, his doctor announced Friday night.

He sent a tweet late Friday night, his first communication from the hospital, saying, "Going welI, I think! Thank you to all. LOVE!!!"

His upbeat attitude did not reflect the inherent severity of the situation. It remains extremely rare for a president to overnight in hospital, given the extensive medical facilities available at the White House.

Trump himself was said to be spooked after he announced he tested positive early Friday, and has become increasingly alarmed by his diagnosis as he developed symptoms like a fever overnight, according to a person familiar with his reaction.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    edited October 2020

Mike Pence may have tested negative but last Saturday he was seated amongst several people who have tested positive.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/02/trump-timeline-activities-425041
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

CNN: President Donald Trump is being treated at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for Covid-19 and has begun receiving an anti-viral drug, his doctor announced Friday night.

He sent a tweet late Friday night, his first communication from the hospital, saying, "Going welI, I think! Thank you to all. LOVE!!!"

His upbeat attitude did not reflect the inherent severity of the situation. It remains extremely rare for a president to overnight in hospital, given the extensive medical facilities available at the White House.

Trump himself was said to be spooked after he announced he tested positive early Friday, and has become increasingly alarmed by his diagnosis as he developed symptoms like a fever overnight, according to a person familiar with his reaction.

LOVE!!!

Is there a kind of How the Grinch Stole Christmas conversion in the pipeline?

It's nonsense about medical facilities in the White House. I doubt they are better than those in a well equipped private hospital in England, and every medical professional i have ever met agrees that if you are seriously ill you want to be in the biggest most badass NHS hospital you can find, not private.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

LOVE!!!

It's nonsense about medical facilities in the White House. I doubt they are better than those in a well equipped private hospital in England, and every medical professional i have ever met agrees that if you are seriously ill you want to be in the biggest most badass NHS hospital you can find, not private.
    Jon Sopel on BBC's News at 10 was stressing the quality and extent of the on-site medical facilities in the White House.
    Wonder what they do all say, since most, if not everyone, there should be reasonably fit.

However I suspect it's noteworthy that Trump apparently feels fit enough to be on Twitter.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

LOVE!!!

Jon Sopel on BBC's News at 10 was stressing the quality and extent of the on-site medical facilities in the White House.
    Wonder what they do all say, since most, if not everyone, there should be reasonably fit.

However I suspect it's noteworthy that Trump apparently feels fit enough to be on Twitter.
    Well for starters I doubt they have MRI or CT scanners, which are useful things to be close to before you need them. They are set up for full on emergency surgery, which is great but irrelevant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Medical_Unit
  • Options
    In sports news, it being Saturday prospects for cricket's Vitality Blast 20/20 Finals Day do NOT look good.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

LOVE!!!

Well for starters I doubt they have MRI or CT scanners, which are useful things to be close to before you need them. They are set up for full on emergency surgery, which is great but irrelevant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_Medical_Unit
    Fair point.
  • Options
    Nerd vote sewn up.
    The Shat conspicuous by his absence.

https://twitter.com/Marina_Sirtis/status/1312208693585354758?s=20
  • Options
    ConHome breaking the news that its own members panellists have scored Bozo negatively for the first time as PM (they did so before during the depths of his period as FS):

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2020/10/our-cabinet-league-table-the-prime-minister-falls-into-negative-territory.html
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    rcs1000 said:

I disagree. I'd be staggered, I mean really staggered, if Romney was not the next US President.

Hi @rcs1000

This is just to let you know your book hijacked your account last night and posted a lot of random shit about Romney being the next POTUS. You might want to change your password.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Jeez, David's articles are getting longer but not better.

I gave up.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Hi @rcs1000

This is just to let you know your book hijacked your account last night and posted a lot of random shit about Romney being the next POTUS. You might want to change your password.
    I think he's been kidnapped and this is him sending us a message. Quick what does the first letter of every word spell?
  • Options
    On topic, an interesting article. A couple of comments though:

1) What about reps from DC? Do they not vote, or vote as part of the Virginia delegation?

2) 1872 was a very unusual election for a number of reasons. First of all, the Democrats didn’t contest it, which I think is the only election since the party’s founding in the 1820s where they haven’t put forward a candidate of some description. However, when Greeley died a large number of his pledged electors voted for the man who would have been their candidate (I was wrong about this in my post yesterday) while Greeley’s own Liberal Republican electors voted for his vice presidential nominee.

Now let’s come to practicalities. If Trump dies, he is no longer a citizen of the US and not eligible to serve as President. Therefore, he cannot be a candidate in the electoral college. So, Republican electors with pledged votes would have to vote for Pence as the only other person on the ballot paper.

What would be interesting in that scenario is what would happen in the Vice Presidential election, because Pence could not be elected to both offices (the constitution says candidates for President and Vice President cannot be from the same state, which one candidate obviously would be)! Pence would presumably have to nominate someone to be put forward as Veep, and it couldn’t really be an unknown and probably shouldn’t be somebody who hasn’t been elected. So that is where Romney might come in as an elder statesman with name recognition factor.

Interesting speculation to come to one conclusion - for all Yanks love it, their constitution is a bit shit.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    tlg86 said:

Those are symptoms, not reasons.
    The prime reason is the sheer difficulty of amending the constitution, baked into the constitution, which means that even when problems become glaringly obvious to everyone, it’s very difficult to change the rules to prevent them happening again.
  • Options
    Ydoethur posted
    'Interesting speculation to come to one conclusion - for all Yanks love it, their constitution is a bit shit.'

To be fair, several black swans have arrived at once.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

Jeez, David's articles are getting longer but not better.

I gave up.

Having the attention span of a small goldfish I normally baulk at thread headers more than two lines long. However today, every one of David's paragraphs revealed more than a nugget of detail of which I had been hitherto unaware.

It was worth the full read. I took five minute breaks after every other paragraph. Perhaps you should try the same.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

The prime reason is the sheer difficulty of amending the constitution, baked into the constitution, which means that even when problems become glaringly obvious to everyone, it’s very difficult to change the rules to prevent them happening again.
    It is time, and beyond time, for a constitutional convention under Article 5 to draw up a new one.

But it will never happen, because it’s never quite in the interests of both parties at once to do it and neither of them can control 2/3 of state legislatures all at once to ram it through.
  • Options
    If they were Scottish, they’d have had the whip withdrawn.

https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1312203213374803969
  • Options

Ydoethur posted
    'Interesting speculation to come to one conclusion - for all Yanks love it, their constitution is a bit shit.'

Some of them as a result of the constitution.
  • Options
    Missed this yesterday amongst the hoo and the ha

https://twitter.com/alweaver22/status/1312143427186814977

Top quality contact tracing. They tried to keep the Hicks diagnosis super secret
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    ydoethur said:

1) What about reps from DC? Do they not vote, or vote as part of the Virginia delegation?

2) 1872 was a very unusual election for a number of reasons. First of all, the Democrats didn’t contest it, which I think is the only election since the party’s founding in the 1820s where they haven’t put forward a candidate of some description. However, when Greeley died a large number of his pledged electors voted for the man who would have been their candidate (I was wrong about this in my post yesterday) while Greeley’s own Liberal Republican electors voted for his vice presidential nominee.

Now let’s come to practicalities. If Trump dies, he is no longer a citizen of the US and not eligible to serve as President. Therefore, he cannot be a candidate in the electoral college. So, Republican electors with pledged votes would have to vote for Pence as the only other person on the ballot paper.

What would be interesting in that scenario is what would happen in the Vice Presidential election, because Pence could not be elected to both offices (the constitution says candidates for President and Vice President cannot be from the same state, which one candidate obviously would be)! Pence would presumably have to nominate someone to be put forward as Veep, and it couldn’t really be an unknown and probably shouldn’t be somebody who hasn’t been elected. So that is where Romney might come in as an elder statesman with name recognition factor.

Interesting speculation to come to one conclusion - for all Yanks love it, their constitution is a bit shit.

Ineligibility for office shouldn't be a bar to election, in principle. The constitution specifically deals with what happens if someone elected president hasn't qualified. (Although the inference is that the someone is at least capable of qualifying later - e.g. a 34-year old). But I guess that's for Congress to decide.

Also, the same-state rule is only that if both candidates are from the same state, then Electors from that state cannot vote for them both. There's nothing to prevent Pence being elected to both offices, but Electors from Indiana could not vote for him for both offices (which wouldn't matter in the scenario you paint, as they wouldn't have done).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Divvie, maybe not.

Picard and other recent Star Trek series have often annoyed long term fans. I suspect it'll preaching to the converted.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,066

On topic, I think the thread is too rooted in orthodox processes and outcomes, and fails to adequately consider the possibility that something exceedingly ridiculous might happen.

Apply the 2020 heuristic.
  • Options
    On topic: I was following it until the last paragraph.
  • Options
    Getting to President Romney:

1) Trump dies, Pence becomes president
    2) Pence wants a VP confirmed so that he doesn't pass power to Pelosi if he dies of the rona
    3) Dems don't really want Pelosi right before the election, but they'll take Romney as a compromise, Pence nominates him
    4) Pence dies too, President Mittens

That doesn't get you there on the Betfair rules, but if Mittens is president already I think it's easy to do the next step of
    5) GOP wins (or already won) the Electoral College, the Electoral College finds both people on the ticket are dead and elects the sitting GOP president
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Missed this yesterday amongst the hoo and the ha

https://twitter.com/alweaver22/status/1312143427186814977

Top quality contact tracing. They tried to keep the Hicks diagnosis super secret

Christie and Giuliani were in the debate prep room, along with four or five of those who have since tested positive.
  • Options
    One other observation - Trump campaign manager is an absolutely cursed position.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ydoethur posted

Some of them as a result of the constitution.
    Post hoc, propter hoc? One of those rare conjunctions of planets, plus, perchance, a comet or two.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

2) Pence wants a VP confirmed so that he doesn't pass power to Pelosi if he dies of the rona
    3) Dems don't really want Pelosi right before the election, but they'll take Romney as a compromise, Pence nominates him

That doesn't get you there on the Betfair rules, but if Mittens is president already I think it's easy to do the next step of
    5) GOP wins (or already won) the Electoral College, the Electoral College finds both people on the ticket are dead and elects the sitting GOP president

Romney has the support of Sen Chuck Hythe and Gov. Cory Dymchurch. A potential running mate in Rep. Ted Marshes.
  • Options
    Some of the Barrett event took place indoors.
    No masks, of course.

https://twitter.com/RebeccaBuck/status/1312222480073928704
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    The dashboard makes it look as if Trump is responsible for all the other infections. Whereas I’d guess the patient zero among the group is somewhere down the list, with a lesser chance that it is some random external person.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    It still must be pretty long odds against any of them actually dying though. Whether anyone will become seriously ill, who knows - but the juries still out on what 'seriously ill' (and/or has long term effects) actually means. Whilst it reveals that a blase approach has led to failure to take reasonable precautions, unless the feeling changes that this is just an illness that, unless you're unlucky, 'will pass' changes, not much changes.

Remember, outside of the "it's all a hoax" group, those on the sceptical side of implementing economically harmful restrictions don't generally deny that Covid spreads easily, nor indeed that it can't kill people. But what is questioned is that it is uniquely harmful such that the complete uplifting and overhaul of normal society is justified.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

It is time, and beyond time, for a constitutional convention under Article 5 to draw up a new one.

But it will never happen, because it’s never quite in the interests of both parties at once to do it and neither of them can control 2/3 of state legislatures all at once to ram it through.
    I think it could be in both their interests to depoliticize or rebalance SCOTUS. If the Dems win and pack the court, the GOP face at least one term, many more, of Dem supremacy. OTOH once they get power back they'll counter-pack it and set fire to all the Dems' legislative achievements.

I think a court biased against you is at least twice as bad as a court biased for you is good, so if they're rational actors (I know, I know) they'd cooperate to fix the constitution.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:
    The dashboard makes it look as if Trump is responsible for all the other infections. Whereas I’d guess the patient zero among the group is somewhere down the list, with a lesser chance that it is some random external person.
    True - but it’s another source of information.
    Given the amount of travel in the last week, the number of events, the numbers of people involved, and the utter lack of Covid precautions along the way, contact tracing this one is going to be a nightmare.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Scott_xP said:
    That's a white crowd. Makes the Antiques Roadshow look like a Benetton advert.
    The Correct form is ""That's qwhite a crowd".
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Ineligibility for office shouldn't be a bar to election, in principle. The constitution specifically deals with what happens if someone elected president hasn't qualified. (Although the inference is that the someone is at least capable of qualifying later - e.g. a 34-year old). But I guess that's for Congress to decide.

Also, the same-state rule is only that if both candidates are from the same state, then Electors from that state cannot vote for them both. There's nothing to prevent Pence being elected to both offices, but Electors from Indiana could not vote for him for both offices (which wouldn't matter in the scenario you paint, as they wouldn't have done).
    I’m not sure I agree with your interpretation of the constitution on eligibility, David, certainly not given the Greeley precedent. But as you say, it’s probably moot.

A little further research on my first point. The 23rd amendment reads as follows:

The District constituting the seat of Government of the United States shall appoint in such manner as the Congress may direct:

A number of electors of President and Vice President equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives in Congress to which the District would be entitled if it were a State, but in no event more than the least populous State; they shall be in addition to those appointed by the States, but they shall be considered, for the purposes of the election of President and Vice President, to be electors appointed by a State; and they shall meet in the District and perform such duties as provided by the twelfth article of amendment..

Now that’s very ambiguous. It could be argued that ‘to be electors appointed by a state’ means they should vote with a bloc from another state, i.e. Virginia. However. my interpretation of that is that DC for Presidential purposes counts as a separate state. So that would be one vote extra for Biden.

That however would certainly go to the Supreme Court.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    It’s almost as white as the average BLM protest in Bristol.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

One other observation - Trump campaign manager is an absolutely cursed position.

Can you imagine taking that job now? You've got no money, you're 7 points behind, your candidate has one foot in the grave, your team is full of looters, an unknown number of your staff have got the plague, your voters are now rightly terrified of getting it when they vote but your candidate already steered them away from voting by post.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Ha ha funny but not really true.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    Morning all. Had a busy day yesterday and wasn’t online. Hope it was a quiet news day and we didn’t have something completely mad like half of the White House, including the president, test positive for the virus?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

I think it could be in both their interests to depoliticize or rebalance SCOTUS. If the Dems win and pack the court, the GOP face at least one term, many more, of Dem supremacy. OTOH once they get power back they'll counter-pack it and set fire to all the Dems' legislative achievements.

I think a court biased against you is at least twice as bad as a court biased for you is good, so if they're rational actors (I know, I know) they'd cooperate to fix the constitution.
    The easiest fix there, as I’ve suggested before, would be term limits.
    It would benefit both sides in the long run, balance the court if there’s a Democratic administration next year that brings it in, and already has the support in principle of several of the justices themselves (including Roberts).
  • Options
    Christie now positive also.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Ha ha funny but not really true.
    Well, I can see a couple of people in that photo who might be mixed race.

So I don’t think it’s quite as white as the average BLM protest in Bristol.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Hicks really is an idiot, isn’t she? The American answer to Dominic Cummings.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I’m not sure I agree with your interpretation of the constitution on eligibility, David, certainly not given the Greeley precedent. But as you say, it’s probably moot.

A little further research on my first point. The 23rd amendment reads as follows:

The District constituting the seat of Government of the United States shall appoint in such manner as the Congress may direct:

A number of electors of President and Vice President equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives in Congress to which the District would be entitled if it were a State, but in no event more than the least populous State; they shall be in addition to those appointed by the States, but they shall be considered, for the purposes of the election of President and Vice President, to be electors appointed by a State; and they shall meet in the District and perform such duties as provided by the twelfth article of amendment..

Now that’s very ambiguous. It could be argued that ‘to be electors appointed by a state’ means they should vote with a bloc from another state, i.e. Virginia. However. my interpretation of that is that DC for Presidential purposes counts as a separate state. So that would be one vote extra for Biden.

I think there are many other electoral matters far more likely to get to the Supreme Court before this edge case.
    Though I suppose it is 2020.

Excellent article, David.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/10/02/thousands-flee-madrid/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Here we go again - just like how it spread far and wide in last spring. Do they never learn?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:
    True - but it’s another source of information.
    Given the amount of travel in the last week, the number of events, the numbers of people involved, and the utter lack of Covid precautions along the way, contact tracing this one is going to be a nightmare.
    Contact tracing Trump should be easy enough, the secret service has a list of people who have met him, and people will come forward anyway as they’d remember meeting the President. Tracing the contacts of everyone else across the country is going to be a nightmare though, when they’ve all been in a dozen cities in as many days.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Romney has the support of Sen Chuck Hythe and Gov. Cory Dymchurch. A potential running mate in Rep. Ted Marshes.
    You put a good Deal of thought into that post.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

This is far more of a group effort, tbf.
    That is Christie, isn’t it ?
    https://twitter.com/colinmeloy/status/1312245908097040384
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Tested of his own volition, but not tracked and traced.

Is Dido running US track and tracing too?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Tested of his own volition, but not tracked and traced.

Is Dido running US track and tracing too?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Is Christie their Grayling?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

She is a contact, but is there particular reason to think that she is THE contact? Is it just assumed because she was the first to show symptoms?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Can you imagine taking that job now? You've got no money, you're 7 points behind, your candidate has one foot in the grave, your team is full of looters, an unknown number of your staff have got the plague, your voters are now rightly terrified of getting it when they vote but your candidate already steered them away from voting by post.
    And the odds are you’ll end up in prison, or seriously ill.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Put half your campaign funds into lawyers and plan to contest and delay.
  • Options
    On topic: I don't remember kebabs in the Illiad. They do of course make an appearance in the Aenead: "timeo danaos et doner ferentes".
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

That slate will cinque without trace.
  • Options

On topic: I don't remember kebabs in the Illiad. They do of course make an appearance in the Aenead: "timeo danaos et doner ferentes".

:lol:
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

It can already be declared over.
  • Options
    “Stupid is as stupid does.”

Forest Gump on GOP 2020
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    God clearly doesn't approve Amy Coney Barrett for Supreme Court. They had better find another candidate before they are all wiped out.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

It would benefit both sides in the long run, balance the court if there’s a Democratic administration next year that brings it in, and already has the support in principle of several of the justices themselves (including Roberts).
    I think that makes the problem worse, the term-limited judges just get replaced by party hacks. What you really need to do is restore the minority veto that the filibuster used to provide, but the problem is how to avoid DoS by the party that's in the ascendent.

Another way might be to pick two at a time with a single vote, that way the minority and the majority can both get their guy so at worst you get a balance of partisan hacks, and hopefully they'll sometimes cut a deal and pick two non-hacks.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    My reading of the betfair rules is that Trump is winner even if he has died before election day.

"This market will be settled according to the candidate that has the most projected Electoral College votes won at the 2020 presidential election. Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market."

Pence may actually become President, but Trump is the candidate.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

God clearly doesn't approve Amy Coney Barrett for Supreme Court. They had better find another candidate before they are all wiped out.

Which is ironic, because this level of idiocy should really guarantee them all Darwin awards (I know they’ve been suspended for this year).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532
    edited October 2020

Nerd vote sewn up.

Isn't that Shatner with the beard second row?

Not that I have seen any form of Star Trek since the original series finished in the Seventies!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Dr. Foxy, Jonathan Frakes, I think.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    felix said:

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/10/02/thousands-flee-madrid/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Here we go again - just like how it spread far and wide in last spring. Do they never learn?

Will lookout for any evidence of them coming back over the next few days.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    edited October 2020
    rkrkrk said:

My reading of the betfair rules is that Trump is winner even if he has died before election day.

"This market will be settled according to the candidate that has the most projected Electoral College votes won at the 2020 presidential election. Any subsequent events such as a ‘faithless elector’ will have no effect on the settlement of this market."

The market is entitled: "Who will be elected to be the next President of the United States of America as a result of the 2020 presidential election?"

Surely this cannot be settled as Trump even though he had died?

If your interpretation is the case the market in play now would not have any other possible outcomes other than Biden and Trump.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

It Kent be a serious proposition without Ben Dover.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nerd vote sewn up.

Not that I have seen any form of Star Trek since the original series finished in the Seventies!
    In 1969 akshly - it finished before the first moon landing.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,715
    Stocky said:

rkrkrk said:

The market is entitled: "Who will be elected to be the next President of the United States of America as a result of the 2020 presidential election?"

Surely this cannot be settled as Trump even though he had died?

If your interpretation is the case the market in play now would not have any other possible outcomes other than Biden and Trump.
    BF rules also say, in event of a EC draw, "this market will be settled on the person chosen as President". If a draw they would not choose a dead person. So this reinforces my belief that your interpretation cannot be correct.

Right at the bottom their rules it says: " If any candidate withdraws for any reason, including death, all bets on the market will stand and be settled as per the defined rules" Im not sure how helpful or not this sentence is.

Any other views on this?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    FF43 said:

Coney Barrett has already tested positive for the virus and has since recovered. She is a survivor.
  • Options
    The US Constitution may well be crap, but it is not going to change, partly because the barriers to ammendment are so high, partly because America is now far too partisan to agree a way forward, but mostly because it is seen as a holy article of perfect government and the Founding Fathers steered by God to author it. It really is regarded in those sort of terms. Like the Bible or Koran, it is immutable and the only thing left to do is to interpret its meaning in modern times.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

FF43 said:

Coney Barrett has already tested positive for the virus and has since recovered. She is a survivor.
    So you are saying that the first thunderbolt from Zeus missed?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Nerd vote sewn up.

In 1969 akshly - it finished before the first moon landing.
    I must be remembering watching repeats into the Seventies then.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

I think that makes the problem worse, the term-limited judges just get replaced by party hacks. What you really need to do is restore the minority veto that the filibuster used to provide, but the problem is how to avoid DoS by the party that's in the ascendent.

Another way might be to pick two at a time with a single vote, that way the minority and the majority can both get their guy so at worst you get a balance of partisan hacks, and hopefully they'll sometimes cut a deal and pick two non-hacks.
    Is that really the case, though ?
    I don’t think you can say that any of the Democrats’ recent picks have been party hacks - and to be fair to her, even Barrett is a lawyer of some distinction, however extreme some of her views.
    You remove the incentive to appoint very young judges in the hope that they stick around for decades; the need for partisans is not as desperate if the court isn’t set in stone.
    And in an incoming administration proposed this as an alternative to court packing, it would represent a de-escalation of the battle to control the court.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

You've confused two separate issues, which is why you think the 23rd Amendment is ambiguous. It isn't.

The 23rd Amendment is about DC being represented in the Electoral College. The electors in the College vote as individuals. There is no vote by state delegation.

If the Electoral College fails to elect a President, it goes to the House of Representatives. That is where there is a vote by state delegation. DC is unrepresented in the House so doesn't have any say. It doesn't get a vote in its own right, nor does it get a vote as part of a state delegation.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nerd vote sewn up.

No.
  • Options
    So Star Trek is out for Biden.

Are Starship Troopers out for Trump?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,104
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

The Constitution has been changed many times in the past. What's impossible is to change it in a partisan manner which sounds like a good idea in general, though is causing some difficulties if one side exploits a defect in a partisan way.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

LOVE!!!

Assuming it’s him.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    felix said:

Would you expect anything else?

The same thing would happen anywhere if people think they're going to be imprisoned for months, with an out-of-control plague raging around them, and they've somewhere else - anywhere else- plausible to go.

The only way you stop an exodus like this is to seal all the routes out of the city and have blokes with guns turn people back.
This discussion has been closed.