Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How the Government’s handling of the pandemic has impacted on confidence about Brexit – politicalbet

Comments

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153
    eek said:

geoffw said:

Andy_JS said:
    ✔️ The exponential-takeoff scaremongering propaganda was a disgrace.
    I take it maths isn't your strongest suit. The important figure he is the rate of transmission and that rate of transmission has suddenly shoot up well past an R of 1.
    Fond of extrapolations are you?

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    kinabalu said:

https://twitter.com/KarlTurnerMP/status/1308323815647313921

This is the kind of stuff we've needed for a while, a bit of flag waving

Turns me off a bit, I have to say. But my vote is safe (if not my membership) and it clearly is the case that the party under Corbyn was perceived as lacking in "proud to be British" sentiment and that this did cost votes and seats. It's important to counter this now and win a proportion of those voters back. So to this extent, I approve. "Go Keir. Wave that wi... flag."

But caution is required - because it's undeniable that xenophobic attitudes were a factor in taking some of these erstwhile Labour voters down the Brexit and UKIP-to-Tory path and Starmer should not imo be chasing this constituency. For 2 reasons. (i) Such attitudes are at odds with the core values of the party. (ii) It would backfire. The support picked up by pandering to xenophobic variety "patriotism" would be outweighed by the support lost in the party's new metropolitan base.
    I don't think Starmer is pandering to anti-foreigner xenophobic patriotism but appealing to the middle of the road proud to be British patriotism.

Most of the party's new metropolitan base are bright enough to recognise that this is a route to power and won't be put off by it. It might even appeal to some.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,711

Andy_JS said:
    One thing that has also been overlooked in the criticism is the two eggheads said they would lay out what is happening across Europe and how if we follow that trend here...then they only showed Spain and France, who just happen to be the absolute worst by a country mile.

That is rather naughty sleight of hand.

I know why they did it, but as scientists they shouldn't he doing it.
    It's reasonable to show France and Spain, given the UK is following approximately the same trajectory. As it did the first time. I would love the UK to follow Slovakia which has had roughly one hundredth of the deaths. But it doesn't and it has no curiosity about why Slovakia has done so well. The only international comparison we seem to be interested in is Sweden which has done almost as badly as us.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Dura_Ace said:

Fuck the flag. Waving the flag does nothing to address the causes of structural inequality.

The Forces of Woke are winning the culture war; we shouldn't be lifting our collective foot off the neck of the reactionary scum now.
    Too late - Starmer's raised the white flag of surrender in the culture war and is reversing faster than an Italian tank driver!

Thanks for shifting the Overton Window all the way back in our favour, Sir Keir :smile:
  • Options

labour's problem

Apart from carping from the sidelines here and there, labour are on very board with what the tories are doing. And that means they own the coming catastrophe.

When this carnage is eventually over, voters will be looking for new parties to support. Ed Davey sort of realises this. So does Nigel Farage. Not sure about Starmer.

Although Labour are supporting the Government on combating Covid-19 and "getting Brexit done" they are also saying that the government is incompetent, and that Labour would do it better. That might appeal to a lot of people.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Turns me off a bit, I have to say. But my vote is safe (if not my membership) and it clearly is the case that the party under Corbyn was perceived as lacking in "proud to be British" sentiment and that this did cost votes and seats. It's important to counter this now and win a proportion of those voters back. So to this extent, I approve. "Go Keir. Wave that wi... flag."

But caution is required - because it's undeniable that xenophobic attitudes were a factor in taking some of these erstwhile Labour voters down the Brexit and UKIP-to-Tory path and Starmer should not imo be chasing this constituency. For 2 reasons. (i) Such attitudes are at odds with the core values of the party. (ii) It would backfire. The support picked up by pandering to xenophobic variety "patriotism" would be outweighed by the support lost in the party's new metropolitan base.
    Yes, it's a fine line to tread, I agree. But I'm pretty confident that Starmer will have no truck with the xenophobic, little Englander nationalism that you rightly fear. I suspect he's more in the tradition of Blair, Wilson and Orwell. And I expect Starmer to celebrate contemporary multiculturalism as a virtue rather than a sin, which would be wholly at odds with the UKIP / right-wing white working class.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:
    One thing that has also been overlooked in the criticism is the two eggheads said they would lay out what is happening across Europe and how if we follow that trend here...then they only showed Spain and France, who just happen to be the absolute worst by a country mile.

It's reasonable to show France and Spain, given the UK is following approximately the same trajectory. As it did the first time. I would love the UK to follow Slovakia which has had roughly one hundredth of the deaths. But it doesn't and it has no curiosity about why Slovakia has done so well. The only international comparison we seem to be interested in is Sweden which has done almost as badly as us.
    No it is cherry picking. I know why they did it, but if they shouldn't have talked about comparisons to Europe.

As scientists they should have a chart showing the full sample of different countries and then say it looks like the UK is following more along the Spain / France trajectory, hence why the need for action.
  • Options
    Any idea when the PM's speech to Parliament is?

Also any idea when the next round of talks between Frost and Barnier will be? Considering we're just three weeks from the 15 Oct deadline there seems to be total radio silence on that at the moment.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited September 2020

Seems Starmer might be on to something, twitter has gone into meltdown about Nandy saying Labour will put "Britain First".

The left seems less than thrilled about it. Change of tone since she was the scourge of British exceptionalism way back in May

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/08/lisa-nandy-uk-faces-serious-reckoning-about-global-role

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,192
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Reposting these links FPT.

While expanding Supreme Court numbers is entirely constitutional, it is perhaps not the smartest political response, as it invites retaliation. You wouldn't want your opponents to do the same.

Conversely, it's much harder to see how utterly cynical Republicans would retaliate in kind to these proposals;

Introduction of term limits:
    https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/08/experts-tout-proposals-for-supreme-court-term-limits/
    Legislating to strip the jurisdiction of federal courts from particular legislation:
    https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3669954

I think that's the point - Biden won't rush into making announcements when there are multiple options - term limits and jurisdiction changes both use Republican favoured approaches against them.
    Which, appropriately enough, was Ginsburg's judicial technique.
    Term limits is a good idea but if the start point is a 6/3 Con majority it would take a while to bear fruit. Re the election impact, I think Biden should play it down. Not so much out of fear that the issue will play bigly for Trump but out of simple risk analysis. His lead looks decisive and stable. Trump needs changes of narrative and volatility to have a chance of turning things around by 3/11.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2020
    HYUFD said:
    WFH (for at least part of the week) is here to stay. The genie is out of the bottle. As a long term WFHer, i couldn't imagine doing having to do a 3hr round commute every day, when I can just do the same work from my home office, in peace and quiet overlooking the countryside.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Also any idea when the next round of talks between Frost and Barnier will be? Considering we're just three weeks from the 15 Oct deadline there seems to be total radio silence on that at the moment.

Radio silence is probably a good thing, it means neither one has cause to openly shit on the other one.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Reposting this response from the previous thread, as I think it's important to recognise that even in extremis, constitutions and laws are important.

Nigelb said:

The amusing subtext of those trying to rush a Trump nominee through before Nov 3rd is the implication that they don't think Trump will be President afterwards.

This all smacks of Last Rites.

The less amusing text is that despite winning a majority of the popular vote in six out of the last seven presidential elections, Democrats will see a 6-3 partisan court which they’ll be able to do little to change for the next decade, even if they win the next three elections.

And the three most recent justices will have been confirmed by senators representing about 40% of the electorate.
    The other day we were discussing constitutionalism - I used to believe in it.

The problem is that a constitution is of no use, if the society and government don;'t believe in it. 1930s Germany, Soviet Russia etc all had magnificent constitutions. Protections for all.. And this is not uncommon. Dictators seem to like having such constitutions as a fig leaf.

What they uniformly do, is control the courts with their own brand of activist judge, who twists the law as required.

Someone, (I think Cyclefree) asked, what if, in the case of a government without a constitution to limit it, a persecution of a minority was attempted. My answer, sadly, is that history tells us that genocides have happened where every individual crime was illegal....
    History tells us that genocides tend to happen when states break down. There's a reason most of the Nazi genocidal murders happened outside of the German state.

Consitutions aren't of no use; they are simply on their own insufficient to guarantee anything.

Of course. They are necessary but not sufficient. But they do help create the parameters of debate, the boundaries of what is acceptable and what isn’t. They provide a marker against which proposed actions can be tested.

There is a reason why authoritarian / totalitarian states change laws, destroy independent judges, control law enforcement etc, why they pay lip service to laws and constitutions even while denuding them of any meaning.
    Agreed.
    My further point was that even in the most extreme of states (Nazi Germany was an example) laws and constitutions, however perverted, are not entirely without meaning.
    Places where there is neither state nor law (Nazi occupied Polish territories, for example) are more perilous places still than those where the state still exists.
    Timothy Snyder’s “Black Earth” expands on this - the Nazis destroyed states like Austria etc and this allowed them to do to Jews what they were, initially, unable to do in Germany. If there is no state, no law there is not even the possibility - however remote - of protection from barbarism. And when states themselves become barbaric, all hope is gone.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

No it is cherry picking. I know why they did it, but if they shouldn't have talked about comparisons to Europe.

As scientists they should have a chart showing the full sample of different countries and then say it looks like the UK is following more along the Spain / France trajectory, hence why the need for action.
    We disagree. The point they were making, I think, is that without interventions we can reasonably expect to follow France and Spain as that is the trajectory we are on.

They could make a different point that we could choose to be like France and Spain or more like, say, Slovakia. The chart to illustrate that different point would be the one you are talking about.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Cameron vs EdM

Blue is the Conservatives VI lead
    Red is Camerons Net Satisfaction lead
    Grey is his personality lead

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,282
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:
    I generally rate Ed Conway but I think he misleads on that thread, where he implies that the growth rate is linear. If R>1, by definition we are in exponential growth. The valid issue with the UK gov chart is the rate of that exponential growth (counterfactual if we don't do the interventions talked about). Whether we get to the higher figure sooner or later does matter.
    We had this discussion last night. The growth line for France, Spain and the UK (since our numbers started growing again) is linear. That is a fact. Claiming that we are going to somehow switch to exponential growth is misleading and frankly dishonest.

In the real world what would otherwise be exponential is restricted by numerous factors, changes in human behaviour, dead ends where people in a particular locale run out of people to infect, etc. I have been trying to find the graph that was repeatedly linked to in February. By now everyone in the world would have had the virus. Its not worked out that way.

Epidemiologists relying upon exponential growth models tell us as much as economists relying on perfect markets, ie nothing about the real world.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Excellent. The best of both worlds for them.

They are turning people like you off but you will still vote for anyone with a red rosette - you are the Lab equivalent of @HYUFD - plus they are likely to pick up centrists, such as @MaxPB as well.

I am going to back a Lab govt right now!
    Does that mean anyone voting for Starmer 'cos the alternative is BJ is the non-Tory equivalent of you?
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    WFH (for at least part of the week) is here to stay. The genie is out of the bottle. As a long term WFHer, i couldn't imagine doing having to do a 3hr round commute every day, when I can just do the same work from my home office, in peace and quiet overlooking the countryside.
    Surely if your company required in office work you'd move close or quit? Also, you're probably classed as a remote worker rather than WFH.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Radio silence is probably a good thing, it means neither one has cause to openly shit on the other one.
    Could it be the radio silence of the tunnel?

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    IshmaelZ said:

Seems Starmer might be on to something, twitter has gone into meltdown about Nandy saying Labour will put "Britain First".

The left seems less than thrilled about it. Change of tone since she was the scourge of British exceptionalism way back in May

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/08/lisa-nandy-uk-faces-serious-reckoning-about-global-role
    Fantastic news for Starmer then, the first small steps on the way back to Labour being electable.

He knows the left will go nuts on Twitter for four years then all vote for him anyway, the best thing he can do now is ignore them and concentrate his efforts on the swing voters who actually decide elections.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Makes Labour electable. If they drop all of the self-ID gender stuff I'm basically in the Labour column while Boris is still Tory leader. If Starmer can force the last vestiges of the Corbynite hard left out I honestly can see him winning 45% of the vote nationally at which point he will have a majority.
    Hold on there, 45% seems unlikely. Outpolling Blair?
    Lib Dems on 18% in 1997. 6-8% now.
  • Options
    Hasn’t turned me off but my priority is getting rid of the Tories and I thought Blair was good beyond Iraq
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    eek said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

While expanding Supreme Court numbers is entirely constitutional, it is perhaps not the smartest political response, as it invites retaliation. You wouldn't want your opponents to do the same.

Conversely, it's much harder to see how utterly cynical Republicans would retaliate in kind to these proposals;

https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/08/experts-tout-proposals-for-supreme-court-term-limits/
    Legislating to strip the jurisdiction of federal courts from particular legislation:

Number two is blatantly unconstitutional.

The Supreme Court has jurisdiction over all legislation - it would need a constitutional amendment to change that.
    Did you read the article - the argument is that the Constitution is indeterminate on the issue...
    Having read the abstract it is about limiting the scope/existence of lower federal courts. It does not in any way limit the ability of the Supreme Court to try cases.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Gosh, maybe they should have emphasised the "If" in the slide and when they spoke about it.

Oh, wait. They did.

Doubling faster than that has happened before.

Hospitalisations have been doubling every 8 days.

Accordingly, a worst-case without interventions of every 7 days is certainly feasible.

AND THEY EMPHASISED IT WAS A WORST CASE AND NOT A PREDICTION

Why the suffering FUCK are people ignoring that and claiming otherwise and that they're scaremongering?
    Seriously, why?
    Because they put this chart up in front of an innumerate audience with the inevitable consequence that it dominated today's press. Headlines of 50k cases a day are everywhere.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

MaxPB said:

Makes Labour electable. If they drop all of the self-ID gender stuff I'm basically in the Labour column while Boris is still Tory leader. If Starmer can force the last vestiges of the Corbynite hard left out I honestly can see him winning 45% of the vote nationally at which point he will have a majority.
    12% this time next year as both so called major parties disappoint.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Gosh, maybe they should have emphasised the "If" in the slide and when they spoke about it.

Oh, wait. They did.

Accordingly, a worst-case without interventions of every 7 days is certainly feasible.

Why the suffering FUCK are people ignoring that and claiming otherwise and that they're scaremongering?
    Seriously, why?
    Because political journalists and opinion writers understand neither epidemiology nor statistics, and the media companies appear totally unwilling to let their science journalists take the lead on the coronavirus reporting?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984
    DavidL said:

From the BBC
    Sir Keir says he can "see in my mind’s eye the country I want us to be".

He lists his goals, including "properly funded" universal public services, a "world-class" education system and a strong economy.

He also calls for a "country committed to a greener, cleaner and fairer society, where every policy is judged not just by how much it costs today but also by what it does for the planet tomorrow".

And a country which would be "an active force for good in the world, once again admired and respected".

Sir Keir says: "I can see it. I can describe it. But it’s all just a dream unless we win back the trust of the people.

"And we’ve got a long road ahead of us. We’re not going to win back those we’ve lost with a single speech or a clever policy offer. Trust takes time".

A lot of motherhood and apple pie there but what's wrong with that? What I think we can see is a strategic overall vision capable of giving a plan for government.

He's right about trust, the damage done by Corbyn to the Labour brand is profound, and he needs a stronger team than he seems to have right now but already he and his party are a much, much more credible alternative government than Labour have been since Brown resigned. The Tories need to lift their game. Thank god for that. Crap government because the alternative is even worse does none of us any good.

On your final point David, he could go a long way to fortifying his team by appointing the very competent Rachel Reeves as ShadChan – that seems to me to be such an obvious step it's rather baffling why she was sidelined in the first place.

Anyone have the inside track?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    In what way is Ed Conway's if more valid than the other?

To create the linear increase in case numbers seen by France and Spain would require one of two changes, or a combination.

Firstly, if the linear increase accurately reflected the real increase in case numbers this could only happen if R was declining asymptotically towards 1. R will decline only if people's behaviour changes, either due to fear, or obedience to government instruction. Thus we may have a chicken and egg scenario where we only end up with a linear increase if people are scared of an exponential increase. And if people aren't scared we end up with the exponential increase.

Secondly, the linear increase in reported case numbers may be a result of a decline in the proportion of real cases identified, as the testing system is overwhelmed by the exponential increase in cases.

This is especially a problem now when there is an increasing number of other respiratory illnesses as we progress through autumn.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

kinabalu said:

But "proportion" is the operative word here - because it's undeniable that xenophobic attitudes were a factor in taking some of these erstwhile Labour voters down the Brexit and UKIP-to-Tory path and Starmer should not imo be chasing this bloc. For 2 reasons. (i) Such attitudes are at odds with the core values of the party. (ii) It would backfire. The support picked up by pandering to xenophobic variety "patriotism" would be outweighed by the support lost in the party's new metropolitan base.
    Thought it was a good solid speech and a good pitch for voters to give Labour a chance. He's not a great orator or even as good a speaker as Blair but I think he will lead Labour to victory, which I haven't really felt in my gut of any leader since Blair.
    On flag waving, it's not my thing either, but since Labour is a patriotic party there is no harm in expressing it in ways that people understand and that don't create openings for our opponents.
    Yes, one simply knew that Jeremy Corbyn was never going to be PM of this country. I made plenty of betting moolah guided by that knowledge. PM Corbyn was a Not Happening Event - right up there with Ref2, No Deal Brexit, and a Trump 2nd term.

Regardless of all else the leader* has to pass the "Can I imagine this person as PM? Are they up to it?" test. Starmer does. So given the unfolding disaster of this administration I am also quite bullish on a Labour government next time.

* The LABOUR leader has to pass this test, I mean. GE19 showed conclusively that a Tory one doesn't.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?
    Because they desperately, desperately want it not to be so.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?
    If they really wanted to scare us, why not go for a quintupling every week? That would have generated an even bigger number for their slides.

Stick it up your punter!
  • Options

DavidL said:

From the BBC

He lists his goals, including "properly funded" universal public services, a "world-class" education system and a strong economy.

He also calls for a "country committed to a greener, cleaner and fairer society, where every policy is judged not just by how much it costs today but also by what it does for the planet tomorrow".

And a country which would be "an active force for good in the world, once again admired and respected".

Sir Keir says: "I can see it. I can describe it. But it’s all just a dream unless we win back the trust of the people.

"And we’ve got a long road ahead of us. We’re not going to win back those we’ve lost with a single speech or a clever policy offer. Trust takes time".

A lot of motherhood and apple pie there but what's wrong with that? What I think we can see is a strategic overall vision capable of giving a plan for government.

He's right about trust, the damage done by Corbyn to the Labour brand is profound, and he needs a stronger team than he seems to have right now but already he and his party are a much, much more credible alternative government than Labour have been since Brown resigned. The Tories need to lift their game. Thank god for that. Crap government because the alternative is even worse does none of us any good.

On your final point David, he could go a long way to fortifying his team by appointing the very competent Rachel Reeves as ShadChan – that seems to me to be such an obvious step it's rather baffling why she was sidelined in the first place.

Her or Ed Miliband. Either would be a significant improvement. I think her sidelining was a consequence of the Corbyn legacy but he is clearly moving on from that now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:
    I generally rate Ed Conway but I think he misleads on that thread, where he implies that the growth rate is linear. If R>1, by definition we are in exponential growth. The valid issue with the UK gov chart is the rate of that exponential growth (counterfactual if we don't do the interventions talked about). Whether we get to the higher figure sooner or later does matter.
    We had this discussion last night. The growth line for France, Spain and the UK (since our numbers started growing again) is linear. That is a fact. Claiming that we are going to somehow switch to exponential growth is misleading and frankly dishonest.

In the real world what would otherwise be exponential is restricted by numerous factors, changes in human behaviour, dead ends where people in a particular locale run out of people to infect, etc. I have been trying to find the graph that was repeatedly linked to in February. By now everyone in the world would have had the virus. Its not worked out that way.

Epidemiologists relying upon exponential growth models tell us as much as economists relying on perfect markets, ie nothing about the real world.
    R>1 means exponential growth. By definition, if people are on average infecting more than one other person, as Ed Conway accepts and as the UK and Scottish figures are calculated, it's exponential. The linear line is an interpretation, not a fact. A lot will depend on what happens next and in particular how well the new interventions work.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?
    Because they put this chart up in front of an innumerate audience with the inevitable consequence that it dominated today's press. Headlines of 50k cases a day are everywhere.
    The scientists allowed themselves to play patsy for a government that is anxious and fearful about the policies they are about to introduce. Although no doubt it was the scientists that insisted on a new lockdown - both sides having the other to watch their backs.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?
    Because political journalists and opinion writers understand neither epidemiology nor statistics, and the media companies appear totally unwilling to let their science journalists take the lead on the coronavirus reporting?
    Can you imagine being a professional science journalist in this media environment, made to sit in the corner while political hacks who didn't know the ONS existed and can barely understand basic arithmetic take the lead on every single story and turn it into a bunfight? If you started the year with hair, you certainly don't have any now...
  • Options
    2 positives at the snooker.
  • Options
    New discovery published yesterday could be important

Scientists have discovered linoleic acid within a tailor made pocket in the spike protein. Linoleic acid, a fatty free acid, plays a key role in inflammation and immunity levels.

Professor Imre Berger said: "Our discovery provides the first direct link between Linoleic Acid, Covid-19 pathological manifestations and the virus itself.

"The question now is how to turn this new knowledge against the virus itself and defeat the pandemic."

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/sci/early/2020/09/18/science.abd3255.full.pdf
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?
    If they really wanted to scare us, why not go for a quintupling every week? That would have generated an even bigger number for their slides.

Stick it up your punter!
    Because that would make it look both inevitable and be scientifically inaccurate.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

They are turning people like you off but you will still vote for anyone with a red rosette - you are the Lab equivalent of @HYUFD - plus they are likely to pick up centrists, such as @MaxPB as well.

Does that mean anyone voting for Starmer 'cos the alternative is BJ is the non-Tory equivalent of you?
    Say what?

Hold on let me unpack that. Voting for Starmer because the alternative is BJ as I said describes @MaxPB.

I have no idea who I will vote for in 2024. If there was an election tomorrow, however, then it would certainly focus my mind. For example, I would be doing a lot more examining of Lab's team which I have not done to date.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That's a really interesting poll, because 78% of people want to work in the office some of the time post covid.

That really takes the pressure off city centres who can remodel around that – be work/socialisation hubs Tue-Thu, weekend party hubs Fri-Sat.

Mondays were largely dead anyway. Even when people worked in the office five days a week, who went to the pub after work on a Monday? Very few (indeed lots of pubs in London shut on Mondays).

Quite encouraging support for a hybrid model.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

R>1 means exponential growth. By definition, if people are on average infecting more than one other person, as Ed Conway accepts and as the UK and Scottish figures are calculated, it's exponential. The linear line is an interpretation, not a fact. A lot will depend on what happens next and in particular how well the new interventions work.
    So by 27th October I reckon that we will have something like 12k new cases a day if the new interventions do not slow down the rate of increase. You are going for 50K? It's difficult to frame a bet on this because there will be more interventions but we risk overkill with harsh economic consequences if people insist on clinging to a model that does not reflect reality (except in the very early stages where behaviour has not responded to the threat).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

From the BBC

Her or Ed Miliband. Either would be a significant improvement. I think her sidelining was a consequence of the Corbyn legacy but he is clearly moving on from that now.
    Fair point about Ed although Rachel is clearly better qualified for that job.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?
    I would very much hope that everyone desperately wants it not to be so.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?
    Don't be a twat.

National, televised press conference with the countries two, er, top scientists and they put up a scary red line and look all serious about it. Of course they littered "if"..."could be"..."might"...

But the message they gave, loud and clear, is "here's where we're heading".
  • Options
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?

Stick it up your punter!
    Because that would make it look both inevitable and be scientifically inaccurate.
    Can you explain to me the science of the existing model?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?
    If only journalists spent as much time and effort learning some basic stats as they did chasing wild conspiracy tales about PMs faking meetings / christenings of their own kids to have a secret getaway in Italy.

The BBC sent two journalists to the airport to cover that story. Where as I fired up the interweb and in 2 mins found pictures of Boris doing stuff in the UK during the times he was supposed on some top secret flights.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

MaxPB said:

12% this time next year as both so called major parties disappoint.
    I hope LibDems remain at around 8% nationally but >50% in key places.
  • Options

DavidL said:

From the BBC

He rates Anneliese Dodds very highly. He had to have a balanced Shadow Cabinet in the first instance, and Reeves is (probably unfairly) associated with the right of the party. So he may well change them around in time.

Having said that, if you read what Dodds has actually said and written, it's pretty good stuff. I know people on here don't rate her, but I suspect that's more to do with style rather than substance. She's very able, but doesn't yet look the part.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cameron vs EdM

Blue is the Conservatives VI lead
    Red is Camerons Net Satisfaction lead
    Grey is his personality lead

Boris vs Sir Keir

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

From the BBC

Where Ed is strong is as an ideas man. So many of his policy ideas have been adopted since 2015. I am not so sure he delivers results (Environmental and Energy policy weren't great) or is capable of articulating a great vision but he clearly has analytical skills and SKS should use him that way.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2020

Andy_JS said:

To create the linear increase in case numbers seen by France and Spain would require one of two changes, or a combination.

Firstly, if the linear increase accurately reflected the real increase in case numbers this could only happen if R was declining asymptotically towards 1. R will decline only if people's behaviour changes, either due to fear, or obedience to government instruction. Thus we may have a chicken and egg scenario where we only end up with a linear increase if people are scared of an exponential increase. And if people aren't scared we end up with the exponential increase.

Secondly, the linear increase in reported case numbers may be a result of a decline in the proportion of real cases identified, as the testing system is overwhelmed by the exponential increase in cases.

This is especially a problem now when there is an increasing number of other respiratory illnesses as we progress through autumn.
    Indeed. For weeks now I've been saying the key figure to keep an eye on was the positivity rate.

At the start of that chart the positivity rate was:
    Spain 1.4%
    France 1.3%
    UK 0.8%

On the latest figures:
    Spain 11.6%
    France 5.9%
    UK 1.5%

Very different. We should have zero faith in Spanish case numbers when over 10% of all tests are coming back positive, whereas our positivity rate is essentially the same as theirs was three months ago.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/positive-rate-daily-smoothed?tab=chart&time=2020-06-30..2020-09-20&country=FRA~ITA~PRT~ESP~GBR
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Add an extra bit. I think with an epidemic it is essentially impossible to get linear growth until maybe near herd immunity. You either have exponential growth, no growth or exponential decline. To get linear growth each secondary infection would have to infect fewer people than the one before.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

So by 27th October I reckon that we will have something like 12k new cases a day if the new interventions do not slow down the rate of increase.
    No, this is mathematically nonsense. You would end up with 12k cases if R was reduced, but still above 1 (or if we were unable to count all the cases that were happening).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Labour most seats is 2.2. Touch short for me but not by that much. Re me voting for the proverbial donkey in a red rosette, yes I plead guilty. I'd give up my membership if I felt that the party were only about winning power and had no intention, if attaining it, of doing anything remotely radical, but it would take an awful lot to lose my vote. And we really must win next time. 5 losses in a row could be terminal.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?

Stick it up your punter!
    Because doubling is what is happening currently in the UK - and probably what is happening in Spain except their testing regime has collapsed.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Say what?

Hold on let me unpack that. Voting for Starmer because the alternative is BJ as I said describes @MaxPB.

I have no idea who I will vote for in 2024. If there was an election tomorrow, however, then it would certainly focus my mind. For example, I would be doing a lot more examining of Lab's team which I have not done to date.
    You said that Lab would pick up centrists, not BJ haters. Afaicr you said that you voted for the party of BJ because the alternative was Corbyn, so I'll stick with my original formulation.
  • Options
    A bit of context...

Coronavirus accounted for 1% of all deaths in England and Wales in the second week of this month.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54248150
  • Options

DavidL said:

From the BBC

He rates Anneliese Dodds very highly. He had to have a balanced Shadow Cabinet in the first instance, and Reeves is (probably unfairly) associated with the right of the party. So he may well change them around in time.

Having said that, if you read what Dodds has actually said and written, it's pretty good stuff. I know people on here don't rate her, but I suspect that's more to do with style rather than substance. She's very able, but doesn't yet look the part.

DavidL said:

From the BBC

I think she is very bright but her appearance is odd. Still, it makes her memorable.
    Gove has a similar problem. Very bright but odd looking.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

So by 27th October I reckon that we will have something like 12k new cases a day if the new interventions do not slow down the rate of increase. You are going for 50K? It's difficult to frame a bet on this because there will be more interventions but we risk overkill with harsh economic consequences if people insist on clinging to a model that does not reflect reality (except in the very early stages where behaviour has not responded to the threat).
    If the KCL/Zoe app is to be believed (and, although it's not watertight, it's got the advantage of being updating in real time, and its numbers haven't been that wrong so far), we're already at 12 k new cases a day.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/data
  • Options

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

So by 27th October I reckon that we will have something like 12k new cases a day if the new interventions do not slow down the rate of increase.
    No, this is mathematically nonsense. You would end up with 12k cases if R was reduced, but still above 1 (or if we were unable to count all the cases that were happening).
    Well we might see. It is a continuation of the current rate of growth in line with what has happened in 2 similar European countries whose growth started some weeks before ours.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,997

She reminds me of Sagan's lead out man, Daniel Oss.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

DavidL said:

From the BBC

DavidL said:

From the BBC

I think she is very bright but her appearance is odd. Still, it makes her memorable.
    Gove has a similar problem. Very bright but odd looking.
    I think also Gove has other problems...
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,894

Nigelb said:

The amusing subtext of those trying to rush a Trump nominee through before Nov 3rd is the implication that they don't think Trump will be President afterwards.

This all smacks of Last Rites.

The less amusing text is that despite winning a majority of the popular vote in six out of the last seven presidential elections, Democrats will see a 6-3 partisan court which they’ll be able to do little to change for the next decade, even if they win the next three elections.

And the three most recent justices will have been confirmed by senators representing about 40% of the electorate.
    The other day we were discussing constitutionalism - I used to believe in it.

The problem is that a constitution is of no use, if the society and government don;'t believe in it. 1930s Germany, Soviet Russia etc all had magnificent constitutions. Protections for all.. And this is not uncommon. Dictators seem to like having such constitutions as a fig leaf.

What they uniformly do, is control the courts with their own brand of activist judge, who twists the law as required.

Someone, (I think Cyclefree) asked, what if, in the case of a government without a constitution to limit it, a persecution of a minority was attempted. My answer, sadly, is that history tells us that genocides have happened where every individual crime was illegal....

The Weimar int Germany in the 20's constitution was OK but had some flaws in how to deal with govenment gridlock and the president's powers. It is a stretch to claim that Germany had the Weimar constitution after 1933. The parliament did not meet at all, and all new laws wer passed by the executive ie. Hitler, who was Chancelllor, President and famously used the title Führer.

Another example of a "magnificent constitution" was that of the German Democratic Republic (1949-1990). The country was proud of its constitution and every school child of a certain age got a hardback copy of it. Although it was a great constitution, it was totally worthless of course, because no one had the opportunity to go to court if anything unconstitutional happened, and just by mentioning it in public could get you sent to jail.

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

From the BBC

I have only had one dealing with Rachel Reeves and it was when she was shadow DWP secretary. I have been involved for 8 years in a very specific pension campaign. It has cross party support, there have been 2 HofC debates on it and an attempted 10 minute bill to resolve the issue.

MPs contacted have either been very supportive, supportive, indifferent and very occasionally not supportive. The one exception to al of these is Rachel Reeves even though she was in a prime position to do something about it.

Her office was contacted 5 times. Each time they requested stuff to be sent and although they promised next time they would respond they never did. Not even an acknowledgement, ever. Next time we would get lots of enthusiasm, send stuff again and then be completely ignored.

Utterly hopeless. Every other MP at least acknowledged correspondence.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Well we might see. It is a continuation of the current rate of growth in line with what has happened in 2 similar European countries whose growth started some weeks before ours.
    French and Spanish real case numbers have grown much faster than their official data shows since unlike ours (yet) their testing regime has failed.

Spanish case numbers now are as believable as the UKs were in April.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?

Stick it up your punter!
    Because doubling is what is happening currently in the UK - and probably what is happening in Spain except their testing regime has collapsed.
    Anecdote on French testing, from an F1 journalist needing a test to travel to Russia for the Grand Prix this weekend:
    https://twitter.com/joesaward/status/1307798867501412353 https://twitter.com/joesaward/status/1308011746104422400 https://twitter.com/joesaward/status/1308014716208508934
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

There is a valid question about the rate of exponential growth. If we don't get R=1 then growing more slowly is better than growing faster. But we really need to be at R=1 (it doesn't need to be below that).

By the way, I don't think we are miles apart on our approach to the virus. We both, I think, see this as something that we need to live with and want to maximise our activity as long as we can do it safely. I probably assess the inherent risk as higher than you do, so the interventions need to be more rigorous and our choices about what we do and don't do are starker, so we get to the same residual risk.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

I don't think Starmer is pandering to anti-foreigner xenophobic patriotism but appealing to the middle of the road proud to be British patriotism.

Most of the party's new metropolitan base are bright enough to recognise that this is a route to power and won't be put off by it. It might even appeal to some.
    I do hope and expect he will get things right. The risk I'm highlighting - of chasing Red Wall and losing Red Metro - is one he will have given far more thought to than I have. But I do fret about it. The shift to the left in 2015 turned me from a loyal Labour voter into a party member.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Indeed. For weeks now I've been saying the key figure to keep an eye on was the positivity rate.

At the start of that chart the positivity rate was:
    Spain 1.4%
    France 1.3%
    UK 0.8%

On the latest figures:
    Spain 11.6%
    France 5.9%
    UK 1.5%

Very different. We should have zero faith in Spanish case numbers when over 10% of all tests are coming back positive, whereas our positivity rate is essentially the same as theirs was three months ago.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/positive-rate-daily-smoothed?tab=chart&time=2020-06-30..2020-09-20&country=FRA~ITA~PRT~ESP~GBR
    Thanks for that. So it's pretty clear that the real number of cases in Spain has increased much more than the reported linear increase. You'd have thought that someone with the experience of Ed Conway would be aware of a situation when the data isn't entirely accurate.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?
    Agreed. However, you will accept I expect, that there is a huge gulf between not wanting it to be so, resigning oneself to it and working out a way to move forward.
    And furiously twisting or denying any evidence that it is so in the hope of not having to come up with a plan at all.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Say what?

You said that Lab would pick up centrists, not BJ haters. Afaicr you said that you voted for the party of BJ because the alternative was Corbyn, so I'll stick with my original formulation.
    We're getting a little hypothetical but I could certainly live with a categorisation that I couldn't vote for BJ.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

French and Spanish real case numbers have grown much faster than their official data shows since unlike ours (yet) their testing regime has failed.

No one is Europe is testing anything like as much as we are but I don't think its correct to say that their testing regimes have failed.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

No one is Europe is testing anything like as much as we are but I don't think its correct to say that their testing regimes have failed.
    The French one has, a friend of mine needs one and she's been told there is a 6 day lead time and she won't get the results for another two weeks after that.

Edit: she wants to come back to London but won't until she has the all clear, but I told her that she might end up getting it while she waits for the results. Given that she hasn't got symptoms I did suggest that she should come back and do the 14 day isolation period.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Its not reasonable to compare Spanish case numbers now to Spanish case numbers in June given the change in positivity rates.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?

Stick it up your punter!
    They should simply point out we had over 100,000 infections per day at the peak, and that we could easily repeat that if we are not more careful. Deaths might be a little lower than then as we know a bit more about treatments, but seeing 500 deaths per day is entirely plausible.

But that's just the COVID-19, what we really need to focus on is what happens if COVID-19 is out of control and influenza is bad this year. Then the hospitals will be in trouble, and the deaths will really mount up.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

The question is: are you interested in the real number of cases or the reported number of cases?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

The French one has, a friend of mine needs one and she's been told there is a 6 day lead time and she won't get the results for another two weeks after that.
    Surely not. Watching the BBC, I am informed that only the UK in the whole world has an issue with testing....everybody else's systems works perfectly.

Interesting I heard that the US is now running gone out to averaging ~7 day turn around time and it is blamed on lack of reagents. Wonder if that is also causing issues across Europe?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?

Stick it up your punter!
    Anecdote on French testing, from an F1 journalist needing a test to travel to Russia for the Grand Prix this weekend:
    https://twitter.com/joesaward/status/1307798867501412353 https://twitter.com/joesaward/status/1308011746104422400 https://twitter.com/joesaward/status/1308014716208508934
    I can't believe Dido has done this to the French - is there no end to her infamy?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,894

A bit of context...

Coronavirus accounted for 1% of all deaths in England and Wales in the second week of this month.

A bit more context....
    In February 0% of deaths in England and Wales were due to Covid.

In March and April 26.7% of deaths in England and Wales involved the Corona Virus. (Source ONS).

The situation can change very rapidly.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    eristdoof said:

A bit of context...

A bit more context....
    In February 0% of deaths in England and Wales were due to Covid.

In March and April 26.7% of deaths in England and Wales involved the Corona Virus. (Source ONS).

The situation can change very rapidly.
    I am not downplaying the danger (anybody on here regularly will know I am certainly not in the no lockdown camp), just saying that I think if you asked the public over the past few months how much death has been due to COVID, they would have a totally distorted view.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:
    Surely if your company required in office work you'd move close or quit? Also, you're probably classed as a remote worker rather than WFH.
    That's assuming the employer wants people in yet. I have a stepson who works in IT at Lloyds in the west country. The company has decreed stay at home at least until Christmas,
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Starmer, good stuff!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?
    Agreed. However, you will accept I expect, that there is a huge gulf between not wanting it to be so, resigning oneself to it and working out a way to move forward.
    And furiously twisting or denying any evidence that it is so in the hope of not having to come up with a plan at all.
    Who is doing this?

Covid is a serious thing. A very serious problem.

Yet treating all groups the same despite their having vastly different risk profiles strikes me as the wrong approach.

That is all.
  • Options
    'The epidemic is back' - Czech prime minister

Didn't they have parties celebrating that COVID had gone away?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

kinabalu said:

I do hope and expect he will get things right. The risk I'm highlighting - of chasing Red Wall and losing Red Metro - is one he will have given far more thought to than I have. But I do fret about it. The shift to the left in 2015 turned me from a loyal Labour voter into a party member.
    The answer to that will depend on whether he thinks the number of party members or the number of votes for his party at a general election is the more important statistic.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Starmer, good stuff!

Is the full speech available to watch? I can't find it online...
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Its not reasonable to compare Spanish case numbers now to Spanish case numbers in June given the change in positivity rates.
    Spanish reporting runs about a week behind, they update the numbers every Thursday and backfill the data on case numbers and deaths. The death statistics are dodgy as they use a 7 day cut off vs the European standard of 21 or 28 days.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

She reminds me of Sagan's lead out man, Daniel Oss.
    That's really harsh - he has a whole lot of facial hair on the photos I've seen.
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

From the BBC

I have only had one dealing with Rachel Reeves and it was when she was shadow DWP secretary. I have been involved for 8 years in a very specific pension campaign. It has cross party support, there have been 2 HofC debates on it and an attempted 10 minute bill to resolve the issue.

MPs contacted have either been very supportive, supportive, indifferent and very occasionally not supportive. The one exception to al of these is Rachel Reeves even though she was in a prime position to do something about it.

Her office was contacted 5 times. Each time they requested stuff to be sent and although they promised next time they would respond they never did. Not even an acknowledgement, ever. Next time we would get lots of enthusiasm, send stuff again and then be completely ignored.

Utterly hopeless. Every other MP at least acknowledged correspondence.
    Not to mention that she sounds like Harry H Corbett
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Edit: she wants to come back to London but won't until she has the all clear, but I told her that she might end up getting it while she waits for the results. Given that she hasn't got symptoms I did suggest that she should come back and do the 14 day isolation period.
    Everything in the UK is worse than anywhere else
  • Options
    isam said:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1308320060772093953

Pollsters are fairly united now, slim or no Tory lead. We will see crossover soon.

Going to catch up on Keir's speech, apparently it's fantastic.

The more the public see of Sir Keir, the duller they find him - personality rating down from 32 to 25 in today’s IPSOS-MORI.

Maybe COVID has changed everything, but leaders of the opposition who the public find this in charismatic, especially compared to the PM, don’t get the top job,
    My mistake, it is down from 30 to 25
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh, wait. They did.

Seriously, why?
    Who is doing this?

Covid is a serious thing. A very serious problem.

Yet treating all groups the same despite their having vastly different risk profiles strikes me as the wrong approach.

That is all.
    Any attempt at risk segmentation falls straight down the "The Gov't isn't keeping me from seeing my grandkids" rabbithole.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

The question is: are you interested in the real number of cases or the reported number of cases?
    I'm genuinely interested in both. Clearly the reported cases are facts. The unreported cases are hypotheses. Where, as in March/April, the amount of testing was pretty derisory the "facts" of reported cases are of limited utility. Given the scale of our current testing (and the still very low +ve results) I think that they tell us a bit more but clearly not the whole picture. If we can increase testing further we will get a better picture.

Looking at the unreported cases I think that you are looking for evidence that they exist and their extent. Such as the proportion of the population with antibodies. Or, possibly, the number of new cases not linked to any known source. I think changes in the percentage of +ve tests may also be a good indicator that there are more untraced cases.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

Coincidentally seems like this question has now been answered by Kuenssberg.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1308352662841307136
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

geoffw said:

MaxPB said:

Coincidentally seems like this question has now been answered by Kuenssberg.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1308352662841307136
    No WFH?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,595
    Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Number two is blatantly unconstitutional..
    Read the article (and more to the point, read Article III of the Constitution itself); it is not.
    I'll give it a read but "The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority" seems pretty unambiguous to me
    ....shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under Such Regulations as the Congress shall make. is considerably more ambiguous, though, along with the extent of that "judicial power" (and has been debated for many years).
    It's pretty clear that a Thomas or Alito will brush aside such "exceptions", just as they have brushed aside more clearcut constitutional principles when it suits them. Far less clear is how a Roberts or possibly a Gorsuch would interpret that. Roberts in particular has demonstrated a tendency to defer to specific Congressional legislative action.

Where it won't give any halt to the court is in judging the constitutionality of executive actions.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1308320060772093953

Pollsters are fairly united now, slim or no Tory lead. We will see crossover soon.

Going to catch up on Keir's speech, apparently it's fantastic.

The more the public see of Sir Keir, the duller they find him - personality rating down from 32 to 25 in today’s IPSOS-MORI.

Maybe COVID has changed everything, but leaders of the opposition who the public find this in charismatic, especially compared to the PM, don’t get the top job,
    My mistake, it is down from 30 to 25
    It's going to be really fascinating to see how your theory plays out, because I suspect the UK will emerge from the twin crises of Covid and Brexit long before Sir Keith grows a personality...
This discussion has been closed.