Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The US polling that’s putting the focus on the key group that backs Trump – evangelical Chrisitans –

124»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Anyway, presumably all McDonald’s restaurants closing from Friday? It’s the table service rules that will really hurt in the immediate future, not the curfew.

Curfew will hit profits, but is easy to implement. Many pubs and restaurants operating model will not allow implementation of table service I think.

Why has masks when not seated not been offered as an alternative?

I ate in McDonalds on Saturday. They did table service and it worked fine.
    You'll be cancelled for that.

Might as well come out in favour of Brexit, now.

On a serious note, what is interesting in this crisis, to me, is the way that some organisations and people have simply stepped up. What can we do? How can we do it? Others have just curled up in a ball.

Further, this doesn't seem to go by profession. I have seen brilliant responses from building companies, school administrators and GPs. I have seen utterly crap responses by building companies, school administrators and GPs.
    Solicitors seems fairly uniformly not to have done very well; accountants more or less to have taken it in stride.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Cyclefree said:

Great. Pubs lose business; people lose jobs. But people carry on mixing in far less safe environments and the virus continues spreading. Just fucking great.

Is there no end to this government's uselessness?
    It doesn't seem like it. Literally everyone said the same thing last night as well. Why not just keep the pubs open?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Correct answer. No point in threatening it unless they get a majority in the Senate, it'll just embolden the GOP to take the piss if they win.

If Trump has any sense - admittedly no small if - he'll try to pin him down on it in the debates.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

twitter.com/alextomo/status/1308304991724003328

Last night on the BBC, I saw a load of amateur footballers all in a big huddle hugging each other after winning a penalty shootout in the first round qualifying round of the FA Cup. The crowd were also all together, hugging one another.

One rule for them?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited September 2020
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Gardner has folded.
    https://twitter.com/SenCoryGardner/status/1308180830838284293

And I think Grassley, too.
    Romney yet to decide.

Yes but on that basis only if Trump nominates a moderate Justice which he won't because if he does and does not nominate a staunch conservative then pro life evangelicals will stay home in November and not bother to vote for him
    I think you fail to understand Republican talking points.
    That statement means he’ll vote to conform anyone Trump nominates.
    No it says he will not vote for anyone who legislates from the bench ie he will not vote for a staunch pro life conservative activist judge and if Trump does not nominate a staunch pro life conservative activist judge then evangelicals will stay home in November.

Evangelicals have no loyalty to Trump as a person, many find his personal life distasteful, they only back him so long as he supports a staunch conservative agenda, if he abandons that for some evangelicals it would be better for Trump to lose and then try and get Pence in as President in 2024 than for Trump to win and likely then be followed by Democrats after 2024 for years
  • Options

Gadfly said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

@IanB2

"And evidence that Cheltenham did cause some spreading."

I have heard this repeatedly on here but despite asking several times for evidence I have seen none. Do you have any? I am particularly interested because I attended and live in the area.

The town of Cheltenham, in common with the Cotswolds and Gloucestershire generally, have very low Covid numbers now. If there was a Festival spike the region has certainly recovered well.

I am not sure whether it was ‘proven’ (nor that it ever could be, or disproven) but there was this:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/21/experts-inquiry-cheltenham-festival-coronavirus-deaths
    The absence of hard numbers or of local reporting is making me a little sceptical. In hindsight, the Government should have banned the event and I shouldn't have gone but I suspect we just about got away with it.

If anyone can produce any relevant figures I will be grateful.
    It seems like 8 million have antibodies in this country . If you take that to be more or less who has had Covid-19 then even accepting 45K have died because of Coivd-19 (rather than with it) that has a mortality rate of 0.5% - given that some of those deaths will have being caused by other factors (most of the dead are very very old) then I would say that a mortality rate of 0.2% is not far from the truth - A lot closer than your 1% and the absurd official 10% and its worrying that the government with ll its resources are still making ruinous decisions based on too high fatiality rates
    The estimate I read was 3.4mn people in the UK having had it. You see similar estimates of the fatality rate from other countries. 1% seems to be the number. So not 10% but not 0.2% either.
    I also wonder if the first wave took a lot of the driest timber and whether we will see a reduction in the death rate as this goes on. Clearly better medical treatments through ameliorating drugs, much more caution about the use of ventilators etc will help too.

The most difficult bit is that 1% varies from about 0.01 for the very young to over 20% for the very old. Surely our policies should focus on the implications of that rather than hitting our entire society and economy with a sledgehammer.
    I think it was Prof Carl Heneghan who suggested that we went into Covid with 15K people clinging to life by their fingernails, because of below average deaths last year.
    It would also be probable that at care homes, for example, both staff and inhabitants are taking things much, much more seriously.
    One would assume the government won't decant a load of Covid patients into them again either.
  • Options
    Sounds like Boris big address to the nation will be a load of half arsed measures and a repeat like March of please use common sense otherwise we will have to be stricter.

And in two weeks he will be back on again, to tell us too many people have ignored his pleas and virus has got out of hand and now its lockdown harder, the sequel.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Given the coverage of tomorrow's announcement in the press and on Twitter, we clearly still have government policies being leaked out to the favoured press in dribs and drabs, despite the Speaker insisting that such announcements should be made in the House of Commons. I wonder what the source of the leaks is? It's a poor way to govern, whatever. They (the government and advisors) should shut up until BJ addresses the Commons and then has his press conference in the evening.

Those actually involved won’t be the ones leaking, it’ll be those who hear about things from the inside and are opposed to the measures, whether they be ministers, spads or civil servants.

We are in agreement that the media would be best shutting up about things that haven’t been announced formally by the appropriate minister, this is not a time for politics as usual and the general public - people who need clarity - are instead being deliberately confused.
    CNN says it is all ” according to a Downing Street statement ahead of the speech.”
    The problem is that they’re surrounding the No.10 briefing with a bunch other unfounded speculation and opinion from all over the place.

That said, I’d rather government didn’t brief stuff ahead of time, these things should really be presented to Parliament first.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Scott_xP said:

twitter.com/alextomo/status/1308304991724003328

Last night on the BBC, I saw a load of amateur footballers all in a big huddle hugging each other after winning a penalty shootout in the first round qualifying round of the FA Cup. The crowd were also all together, hugging one another.

One rule for them?
    Did you see any grannies in the huddle?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Great. Pubs lose business; people lose jobs. But people carry on mixing in far less safe environments and the virus continues spreading. Just fucking great.

Is he also not wrong about this unless the 6 friends come from only 2 households?
    Yes he is. And it's unenforceable as well. So good pubs who follow the rules (like my daughter's) will be checked and those at home who ignore the rules will not. It's absurd.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

Gadfly said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

@IanB2

I have heard this repeatedly on here but despite asking several times for evidence I have seen none. Do you have any? I am particularly interested because I attended and live in the area.

The town of Cheltenham, in common with the Cotswolds and Gloucestershire generally, have very low Covid numbers now. If there was a Festival spike the region has certainly recovered well.

I am not sure whether it was ‘proven’ (nor that it ever could be, or disproven) but there was this:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/21/experts-inquiry-cheltenham-festival-coronavirus-deaths
    The absence of hard numbers or of local reporting is making me a little sceptical. In hindsight, the Government should have banned the event and I shouldn't have gone but I suspect we just about got away with it.

It seems like 8 million have antibodies in this country . If you take that to be more or less who has had Covid-19 then even accepting 45K have died because of Coivd-19 (rather than with it) that has a mortality rate of 0.5% - given that some of those deaths will have being caused by other factors (most of the dead are very very old) then I would say that a mortality rate of 0.2% is not far from the truth - A lot closer than your 1% and the absurd official 10% and its worrying that the government with ll its resources are still making ruinous decisions based on too high fatiality rates
    The estimate I read was 3.4mn people in the UK having had it. You see similar estimates of the fatality rate from other countries. 1% seems to be the number. So not 10% but not 0.2% either.
    I also wonder if the first wave took a lot of the driest timber and whether we will see a reduction in the death rate as this goes on. Clearly better medical treatments through ameliorating drugs, much more caution about the use of ventilators etc will help too.

The most difficult bit is that 1% varies from about 0.01 for the very young to over 20% for the very old. Surely our policies should focus on the implications of that rather than hitting our entire society and economy with a sledgehammer.
    I think it was Prof Carl Heneghan who suggested that we went into Covid with 15K people clinging to life by their fingernails, because of below average deaths last year.
    It would also be probable that at care homes, for example, both staff and inhabitants are taking things much, much more seriously.
    One would assume the government won't decant a load of Covid patients into them again either.
    Huge call.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

There will likely be more than 6 in a pub on different tables, only 6 in one house socially distanced is fine

"only 6 in one house socially distanced" - are you for real? Socially distanced drinking buddies in a house?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Is he also not wrong about this unless the 6 friends come from only 2 households?
    No, at least not in England. There's no two household limit here.
  • Options

It's not very Christian to not want to help those less fortunate than yourself.

I've long been convinced that American Evangelical "christians" are nothing of the sort. They have a Bible consisting of half of Genesis, the most Gilead bits of Leviticus and Revelations. And thats it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

I think the rule is that you can only meet up with 6 people (ie you & 5) from no more than 2 households. Even in England.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

Given the coverage of tomorrow's announcement in the press and on Twitter, we clearly still have government policies being leaked out to the favoured press in dribs and drabs, despite the Speaker insisting that such announcements should be made in the House of Commons. I wonder what the source of the leaks is? It's a poor way to govern, whatever. They (the government and advisors) should shut up until BJ addresses the Commons and then has his press conference in the evening.

Those actually involved won’t be the ones leaking, it’ll be those who hear about things from the inside and are opposed to the measures, whether they be ministers, spads or civil servants.

We are in agreement that the media would be best shutting up about things that haven’t been announced formally by the appropriate minister, this is not a time for politics as usual and the general public - people who need clarity - are instead being deliberately confused.
    CNN says it is all ” according to a Downing Street statement ahead of the speech.”
    The problem is that they’re surrounding the No.10 briefing with a bunch other unfounded speculation and opinion from all over the place.

That said, I’d rather government didn’t brief stuff ahead of time, these things should really be presented to Parliament first.
    They keep doing this, leaving way too much time between making it clear something big is about to happen, actually announcing it and for it to come into place.

We know all the decisions were made at the weekend.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,328
    Nigelb said:

The amusing subtext of those trying to rush a Trump nominee through before Nov 3rd is the implication that they don't think Trump will be President afterwards.

This all smacks of Last Rites.

The less amusing text is that despite winning a majority of the popular vote in six out of the last seven presidential elections, Democrats will see a 6-3 partisan court which they’ll be able to do little to change for the next decade, even if they win the next three elections.

And the three most recent justices will have been confirmed by senators representing about 40% of the electorate.
    The other day we were discussing constitutionalism - I used to believe in it.

The problem is that a constitution is of no use, if the society and government don;'t believe in it. 1930s Germany, Soviet Russia etc all had magnificent constitutions. Protections for all.. And this is not uncommon. Dictators seem to like having such constitutions as a fig leaf.

What they uniformly do, is control the courts with their own brand of activist judge, who twists the law as required.

Someone, (I think Cyclefree) asked, what if, in the case of a government without a constitution to limit it, a persecution of a minority was attempted. My answer, sadly, is that history tells us that genocides have happened where every individual crime was illegal....

Which brings us to the US. The current system is no longer truly a constitution. Both sides are trying to rule, partially, by a selected oligarchy... The Supreme Court. Get "your people" on it, and rule for 50 years. Elections be damned.

The effect on civil society is obvious.

My cure? - well, look at Switzerland. The important thing is that constitutions change, frequently, and that the power to do so resides with the voters.
  • Options

Gadfly said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

@IanB2

You'd think but some areas are already reporting this is happening.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Cyclefree said:

There will likely be more than 6 in a pub on different tables, only 6 in one house socially distanced is fine

"only 6 in one house socially distanced" - are you for real? Socially distanced drinking buddies in a house?
    Covid LOVES booze. The more you drink, the more you forget it exists....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Alistair said:

@TheScreamingEagles @Pulpstar I know you love early voting stats, here are Wisconsin's

https://elections.wi.gov/publications/statistics/absentee

1 million mail ballots have been requested. Wisconsin has less than 6 million people in it!

Very few have actually voted, which is different from the UK experience of postal voting - generally people here return their votes within 48 hours. Lots of voters still keeping a slightly open mind?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    edited September 2020
    People here are confusing the Infection Fatality Rate (IFR) - the average probability of dying if infected - with the Case Fatality Rate (CFR) - the average probability of dying once treatment starts. Both are useful metrics but measure different things.

If you get your CFR down through better treatments, as is happening, that will also bring the IFR down. IFR now is less than 0.5%, down from above 1% during the initial peak. The other main reason for a reduced IFR seems to be a younger, healthier infection profile during the low infection rates we have seen recently. France and Spain show that infections may spread into older, less healthy people, bringing the IFR up somewhat.

It's also worth pointing out that an IFR of 0.3% implies 200 000 dead in the UK without any other interventions. (Herd immunity without vaccine approach). This is a WW2 scale death toll. We absolutely need to prevent infections.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes he is. And it's unenforceable as well. So good pubs who follow the rules (like my daughter's) will be checked and those at home who ignore the rules will not. It's absurd.
    Bit like my relatives building company - for years he has watched as the clipboardistas solemnly count the number of first aid kits he has stacked in the site office.

Sometimes, across the street, another company has illegal, unsafe scaffolding. Doing work that violates their planning permission. With workers visibly breaking safety rules.

Untouched, of course.
  • Options
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

I think the rule is that you can only meet up with 6 people (ie you & 5) from no more than 2 households. Even in England.
    No, there's no mention of a two household limit in the guidelines:

2. Seeing friends and family
    When seeing friends and family you do not live with you should:

meet in groups of 6 or less
    follow social distancing rules
    limit how many different people you see socially over a short period of time
    meet people outdoors where practical: meeting people outdoors is safer than meeting people indoors because fresh air provides better ventilation
    Limits on the number of people you can see socially have changed. From Monday 14 September, when meeting friends and family you do not live with (or have formed a support bubble with) you must not meet in a group of more than 6, indoors or outdoors. This is against the law and the police will have the powers to enforce these legal limits, including to issue fines (fixed penalty notices) of £100, doubling for further breaches up to a maximum of £3,200.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Which is both smart, and quite true.
    And it's only taken 4 years for people to realise this.

Boris and co do the same - there is a reason why they keep multiple balls in the air so that you focus on one and ignore the others
  • Options

Sounds like Boris big address to the nation will be a load of half arsed measures and a repeat like March of please use common sense otherwise we will have to be stricter.

And in two weeks he will be back on again, to tell us too many people have ignored his pleas and virus has got out of hand and now its lockdown harder, the sequel.

Don't forget that between those two dates there'll be a cry to get back to the office and save Pret.

Save the Great British Autumn!
  • Options

Lockdown 2: The Darkness

Long winter nights. None of that glorious summer weather of Lockdown 1. Going to be very hard on the mental health of many people.
  • Options
    The other thing that is annoying me this morning is Dido Harding (yes - the female Chris Grayling is at it again) announcing that the "moonshot" tests will have to be paid for if you want to go to the theatre or, get this, hug granny because this is the cost of doing business.

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1308069545274376194?s=20

So tests being developed presumably with government money, our money (I assume), will then be handed over to private operators who will make money from all this and those who do not have the cash to pay will have to just stay home. Is that what is being planned? Is that why La Harding is being brought in - to set up a nice little earner for friends of Boris?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

No, there's no mention of a two household limit in the guidelines:

2. Seeing friends and family
    When seeing friends and family you do not live with you should:

meet in groups of 6 or less
    follow social distancing rules
    limit how many different people you see socially over a short period of time
    meet people outdoors where practical: meeting people outdoors is safer than meeting people indoors because fresh air provides better ventilation
    Limits on the number of people you can see socially have changed. From Monday 14 September, when meeting friends and family you do not live with (or have formed a support bubble with) you must not meet in a group of more than 6, indoors or outdoors. This is against the law and the police will have the powers to enforce these legal limits, including to issue fines (fixed penalty notices) of £100, doubling for further breaches up to a maximum of £3,200.
    Ah, thanks.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807

Scott_xP said:
    Correct answer. No point in threatening it unless they get a majority in the Senate, it'll just embolden the GOP to take the piss if they win.

If Trump has any sense - admittedly no small if - he'll try to pin him down on it in the debates.
    Do we expect Buttigieg to get some kind of constitution role - this sort of thing about making Washington function properly within the bounds of existing limitations was his specialist subject, right? And, am I right in thinking there was more to it than just numbers on the SCOTUS bench.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

I've long been convinced that American Evangelical "christians" are nothing of the sort. They have a Bible consisting of half of Genesis, the most Gilead bits of Leviticus and Revelations. And thats it.
    To be fair to evangelicals a majority of them did vote for Carter in 1976 over the pro choice Ford and Carter was probably the most Christian President the US has ever had, however since then they have been staunch Republican voters.

However if the Democrats nominated a social conservative Christian again and the Republicans nominated a pro choice moderate like Ford again evangelicals could vote Democrat again
  • Options

Long winter nights. None of that glorious summer weather of Lockdown 1. Going to be very hard on the mental health of many people.
    Very, very hard.

• Options
    If Keir Starmer wants to get a hearing from middle England swing voters he needs to reign in his hard-left who want to pull down statues, eviscerate sporting and national anthems, calls the countryside (and everything else for that matter) racist and demands everyone attends compulsory re-education in the workplace and do acts of penance.

If people feel Labour threatens their culture - then they won't vote Labour.
  • Options
    Next PM but one addressing the Labour Party.....

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1308316287123292165?s=20
  • Options
    "He's just not serious, he's just not up to the job."
  • Options

If Keir Starmer wants to get a hearing from middle England swing voters he needs to reign in his hard-left who want to pull down statues, eviscerate sporting and national anthems, calls the countryside (and everything else for that matter) racist and demands everyone attends compulsory re-education in the workplace and do acts of penance.

I think you mean rein in.
  • Options
    Starmer's online speech on BBC2 from Doncaster now
  • Options
  • Options

Nigelb said:

The amusing subtext of those trying to rush a Trump nominee through before Nov 3rd is the implication that they don't think Trump will be President afterwards.

The less amusing text is that despite winning a majority of the popular vote in six out of the last seven presidential elections, Democrats will see a 6-3 partisan court which they’ll be able to do little to change for the next decade, even if they win the next three elections.

And the three most recent justices will have been confirmed by senators representing about 40% of the electorate.

The problem is that a constitution is of no use, if the society and government don;'t believe in it. 1930s Germany, Soviet Russia etc all had magnificent constitutions. Protections for all.. And this is not uncommon. Dictators seem to like having such constitutions as a fig leaf.

What they uniformly do, is control the courts with their own brand of activist judge, who twists the law as required.

Someone, (I think Cyclefree) asked, what if, in the case of a government without a constitution to limit it, a persecution of a minority was attempted. My answer, sadly, is that history tells us that genocides have happened where every individual crime was illegal....

Which brings us to the US. The current system is no longer truly a constitution. Both sides are trying to rule, partially, by a selected oligarchy... The Supreme Court. Get "your people" on it, and rule for 50 years. Elections be damned.

The effect on civil society is obvious.

My cure? - well, look at Switzerland. The important thing is that constitutions change, frequently, and that the power to do so resides with the voters.
    Very, very well said.

It is the people, not the laws, that keep society free.

Eternal vigiliance is the price of a free society. Without that all the laws in the world are not worth anything.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree are you willing to name your daughters pub? I would love to visit if I can to support it. I assume it’s in the Lakes?

Yes - It is The Punchbowl, The Green, near Millom, LA18 5HJ (01229 774457). Lots of lovely walking nearby - Black and White Combe, riding, the beaches of Haverigg and Hodbarrow Nature Reserve plus lots and lots of biking.

She has a marquee at the front and back as well as a pub garden. Food Wed - Saturday: with pies and steaks and veggie options too, all freshly cooked + local ales. Thursday is pizza night. There is a Facebook page.

Do visit if you can.

Thank you.

:)
    Good luck to your daughter, that pub looks lovely. I’m stuck a few thousand miles away but will share the details with others.

Hopefully the UK will escape another full lockdown, and a few irresponsible pubs won’t ruin things for everyone.
  • Options
    Good line from Starmer 'The Tories have had as many election winners in 5 years as we have had in 75 years'
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    This is a very good speech from Starmer. To the point but brimming with anger and emotion.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

They can get around it, there's no limit on the size of SCOTUS.

President Joe Biden could increase the size of SCOTUS to say 15.
    I meant within current norms.

There is an argument, with which I have some sympathy, that Republican have utterly violated existing norms, and you cannot re-establish them unliterally.
    The problem with expanding the size of the court (while entirely constitutional) is that it invites retaliation next time Republicans control Congress.

While there's a good case for looking at it, I'd prefer first looking at the introduction of term limits:
    https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/08/experts-tout-proposals-for-supreme-court-term-limits/
    And/or legislating to strip the jurisdiction of federal courts from particular legislation:
    https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3669954
  • Options
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Cyclefree said:

The other thing that is annoying me this morning is Dido Harding (yes - the female Chris Grayling is at it again) announcing that the "moonshot" tests will have to be paid for if you want to go to the theatre or, get this, hug granny because this is the cost of doing business.

So tests being developed presumably with government money, our money (I assume), will then be handed over to private operators who will make money from all this and those who do not have the cash to pay will have to just stay home. Is that what is being planned? Is that why La Harding is being brought in - to set up a nice little earner for friends of Boris?

Not to mention the money made by selling the data on those tested, before they manage to leak it naturally
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

That was Government Policy (August). Government Policy (September) is a different thing, and in many ways more relaxed. No doubt the October edition will be different again, and tighter. Regardless of the policy (good or bad), there needs to be some consistency of direction, or we will all lose the plot.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617
    It seems totally inappropriate to like this, but that is a spot on observation Mark.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

To be fair to evangelicals a majority of them did vote for Carter in 1976 over the pro choice Ford and Carter was probably the most Christian President the US has ever had, however since then they have been staunch Republican voters.

However if the Democrats nominated a social conservative Christian again and the Republicans nominated a pro choice moderate like Ford again evangelicals could vote Democrat again
    Mrs America, on iPlayer, is a fascinating study of the intersection between evangelical Christians and other traditionalist "values voters" and the new right that grew out of the Goldwater campaign and has increasingly dominated the Republican party. Only on episode 2 but it's really gripping.
  • Options

Thanks.

Sorry that's autocorrect - again.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I don't think that's what's being said at all.

If there is a clinical need for a test the NHS should provide it but if there's not and it is for something else then why not have that as part of the price of admission? Why should it be paid for by the NHS? Eg if a cheap rapid test were developed and people could eg be tested before admission to a football stadium then why should people pay a fortune to the club but the NHS pays for the testing?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,661
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

"David Paton, professor of industrial economics at Nottingham University Businesses School, said he would "take a dim view" if his students presented similar data."

Telegraph.
    I do think that chart will live on infamy. Such legerdemain and sleight of hand is just about acceptable when explaining how this new cream will make you look younger. It is totally unacceptable for our chief scientists presenting "facts" to a largely innumerate audience.

The really annoying thing is that there was a valid story to tell which justified further action. They didn't need to indulge in fantasy. But epidemiologists seem completely hooked on exponential models and wilfully ignore the fact that that is not how things happen in the real world.
    Many years ago I was reading up on the maths of population dynamics with a particular interest in host-parasite interactions at college. The classic sigmoid curve is most certainly (a) real and (b) exponential for the first half or 2/3 or whatever, in the lower half of the S, till a shortage of new hosts starts kicking in.

I happened at the time to be involved with the college summer play. The number of audience per day for the play's run, number of buns sold at half-time, etc. looked familiar, so I plotted them on a log-linear plot - the result, quite to my surprise and the bemusement of the Eng Lit and modern lang students who formed the bulk of the company, was a dead straight line, as if the audience had been largely prompted by word of mouth from day to day. That's the real world, bums on seats ...

(I also found that a model I worked out for my special subject project, as one adjusted the parameters for such things as speed of parasite reproduction, entered cycling and then broke down into what was then called 'stochastic' behaviour at certain starting conditions - in hindsight that was a very nice demonstration of formally chaotic behaviour, but one wasn't to know ...).
  • Options
    Starmer's speech is well worth listening to. Both content and oratory. I've never heard him so passionate and angry.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Gardner has folded.
    https://twitter.com/SenCoryGardner/status/1308180830838284293

And I think Grassley, too.
    Romney yet to decide.

Yes but on that basis only if Trump nominates a moderate Justice which he won't because if he does and does not nominate a staunch conservative then pro life evangelicals will stay home in November and not bother to vote for him
    I think you fail to understand Republican talking points.
    That statement means he’ll vote to conform anyone Trump nominates.
    No it says he will not vote for anyone who legislates from the bench ie he will not vote for a staunch pro life conservative activist judge....
    Clueless.
    The Republican definition of Rowe v Wade is precisely 'legislating from the bench'.
    As is any other liberal judgment they don't like.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Its. Not. About. Votes. Same as your foaming obsession about Tory polling. This is about Morals. Right and Wrong. Not votes. I couldn't give a rats ass whether Evangelicals voted for Carter - does that nugget somehow negate their un-Christian immorality?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Gadfly said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

@IanB2

Surely any care home manager who accepts untested patients from a hospital is going to get his arse sued if there’s an outbreak?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Mrs America, on iPlayer, is a fascinating study of the intersection between evangelical Christians and other traditionalist "values voters" and the new right that grew out of the Goldwater campaign and has increasingly dominated the Republican party. Only on episode 2 but it's really gripping.
    It's brilliant.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Bit like my relatives building company - for years he has watched as the clipboardistas solemnly count the number of first aid kits he has stacked in the site office.

Sometimes, across the street, another company has illegal, unsafe scaffolding. Doing work that violates their planning permission. With workers visibly breaking safety rules.

Untouched, of course.
    Your relatives will be polite in responding to the clipboardistas. A much better place to spend your time than being threatened and intimidated.
  • Options
    8% Woohoo!

Go back to your constituencies and prepare for winning council seats
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    edited September 2020
    This is a vital point. If we allow normal treatments to proceed the second time round, the capacity available for Covid treatments is massively curtailed. Covid infections MUST be reduced to allow normal cancers etc to be treated.

https://twitter.com/Prof_Marciniak/status/1308294010486681601
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    edited September 2020
    Barnesian said:

Starmer's speech is well worth listening to. Both content and oratory. I've never heard him so passionate and angry.

When that first poll of Labour members came out showing Starmer ahead my immediate reaction (after Corbyn) was 'they're serious about winning power' - so, clearly, is Starmer.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1308322500183552000?s=20
    https://twitter.com/J_Bloodworth/status/1308319086280142849?s=20
    https://twitter.com/ExStrategist/status/1308323309231144961?s=20

• Options

HYUFD said:

Its. Not. About. Votes. Same as your foaming obsession about Tory polling. This is about Morals. Right and Wrong. Not votes. I couldn't give a rats ass whether Evangelicals voted for Carter - does that nugget somehow negate their un-Christian immorality?
    Define Christian.

The problem is that what is Christian depends upon the person speaking. It is an excuse to spout their own prejudices and beliefs and put the weight of God behind them.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

"David Paton, professor of industrial economics at Nottingham University Businesses School, said he would "take a dim view" if his students presented similar data."

Telegraph.
    I do think that chart will live on infamy. Such legerdemain and sleight of hand is just about acceptable when explaining how this new cream will make you look younger. It is totally unacceptable for our chief scientists presenting "facts" to a largely innumerate audience.

The really annoying thing is that there was a valid story to tell which justified further action. They didn't need to indulge in fantasy. But epidemiologists seem completely hooked on exponential models and wilfully ignore the fact that that is not how things happen in the real world.
    Many years ago I was reading up on the maths of population dynamics with a particular interest in host-parasite interactions at college. The classic sigmoid curve is most certainly (a) real and (b) exponential for the first half or 2/3 or whatever, in the lower half of the S, till a shortage of new hosts starts kicking in.

I happened at the time to be involved with the college summer play. The number of audience per day for the play's run, number of buns sold at half-time, etc. looked familiar, so I plotted them on a log-linear plot - the result, quite to my surprise and the bemusement of the Eng Lit and modern lang students who formed the bulk of the company, was a dead straight line, as if the audience had been largely prompted by word of mouth from day to day. That's the real world, bums on seats ...

(I also found that a model I worked out for my special subject project, as one adjusted the parameters for such things as speed of parasite reproduction, entered cycling and then broke down into what was then called 'stochastic' behaviour at certain starting conditions - in hindsight that was a very nice demonstration of formally chaotic behaviour, but one wasn't to know ...).
    My comment on that chart, is that given what happened in March....

It is worth remembering that we went from essentially zero cases to 100,000+ infections per day, in a space of what? a month or 2?
  • Options

Very, very hard.

Which is why it is really important that pubs and restaurants stay open, even if for limited times. Humans are social animals. They suffer when isolated.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

If there is a clinical need for a test the NHS should provide it but if there's not and it is for something else then why not have that as part of the price of admission? Why should it be paid for by the NHS? Eg if a cheap rapid test were developed and people could eg be tested before admission to a football stadium then why should people pay a fortune to the club but the NHS pays for the testing?
    Rather like charging football clubs for the cost of extra policing....
  • Options

Very, very hard.

What is so exasperating is the half-hearted measures now make lockdown 2 more likely. And the evidence for that is now plain as a pikestaff.
    Greed and cowardice are one thing, but this might turn into self-defeating greed and cowardice.
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options

Nigelb said:

History tells us that genocides tend to happen when states break down. There's a reason most of the Nazi genocidal murders happened outside of the German state.

Consitutions aren't of no use; they are simply on their own insufficient to guarantee anything.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

HYUFD said:

It is about votes in the context of this discussion, if you wanted a perfect Christian candidate they would probably be socially conservative but economically relatively left, though with an emphasis on work rather than welfare dependency.

Yet that is a very generic statement depending on which Bible passages you read, however I can assure you they would not be a left wing social liberal, however much you may wish to define that as the only moral view to hold
  • Options

Barnesian said:

When that first poll of Labour members came out showing Starmer ahead my immediate reaction (after Corbyn) was 'they're serious about winning power' - so, clearly, is Starmer.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1308322500183552000?s=20
    https://twitter.com/J_Bloodworth/status/1308319086280142849?s=20
    https://twitter.com/ExStrategist/status/1308323309231144961?s=20

Just heard the start of that having dropped my son at school. The Jewish female MP (Reeves?) who introduced him was very good.

I thought SKS started a bit worthy but he may well have got better. He's a serious guy and well worth listening to.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    Scott_xP said:
    This was fucked up by S/Lt (Acting) Mordaunt from the start. Two of the jets were to be 737NGs sourced from the pre-enjoyed market while the other three were off the showroom floor. So the MoD had managed to get itself into a fleets-within-fleets situation before any of the a/c actually existed which is quite a feat.
  • Options

I did wonder - King Keir?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Biden's response to this: to stonewall on the question of what nuclear options the Dems might take; then picot to talking about healthcare, healthcare, healthcare - is probably the best response.
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Republicans have held the House of Representatives however for 20 out of those 28 years with representatives allocated by population and the Senate for 16 out of those 28 years, the US government is not just the Presidency
    The Congressional districts are not remotely even. The average california district is 40% larger than Wyoming.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Gadfly said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

@IanB2

Surely any care home manager who accepts untested patients from a hospital is going to get his arse sued if there’s an outbreak?
    But will they have a choice? To this government, the (reputation of the) NHS must be protected at all costs.
    Of course care homes now, unlike March/April, have the capacity to do their own testing.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Yes, this is designed to be a 5-minute, £5 test that allows venues to abandon social distancing on the basis that they test everyone on the way in. It’s going to be the only way to save many entertainment businesses, but will require several mllion tests a day. The business will cover the costs if it lets them increase capacity.

There’s a trial test going on in my part of the world, of a blood drop analysed by a laser that’s cheap and fast (£10, 10 minutes), but it’s not yet as accurate as the nasal swap.
    https://gulfnews.com/uae/how-it-works-faster-cheaper-covid-test-using-laser-in-abu-dhabi-1.1597239122278?slide=1
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:
    Biden's response to this: to stonewall on the question of what nuclear options the Dems might take; then picot to talking about healthcare, healthcare, healthcare - is probably the best response.
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Republicans have held the House of Representatives however for 20 out of those 28 years with representatives allocated by population and the Senate for 16 out of those 28 years, the US government is not just the Presidency
    The Congressional districts are not remotely even. The average california district is 40% larger than Wyoming.
    So what, the average Texas district is also larger than the the 1 Vermont district too.

Republicans also won the national popular vote in the House elections of 1994, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2010, 2014 and 2016 too
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, it's marvellous. And as I said on here before, it demonstrates that "culture wars" are really nothing new, they were raging in the 60s and 70s. All that's new is that they are being fought out on Twitter and Facebook etc.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Define Christian.

The problem is that what is Christian depends upon the person speaking. It is an excuse to spout their own prejudices and beliefs and put the weight of God behind them.
    It can be. But it isn't always.

Very occasionally, one meets individuals who have got "it" (where "it" could be Christianity, but doesn't have to be) completely. They tend to be the least prejudiced, most humble, most aware of their own failings and paradoxical value. Can be pretty disconcerting, actually.

And as for "Christians say and do terrible things"? Without knowing what terrible things they would do without Christianity, we can't say whether that's a good or bad thing. The John Cleese / Robin Skinner "... and how to survive" books are good on this.

Anyway, income needs to come in, and physics work won't mark itself. Stay safe, everyone.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, this is designed to be a 5-minute, £5 test that allows venues to abandon social distancing on the basis that they test everyone on the way in. It’s going to be the only way to save many entertainment businesses, but will require several mllion tests a day. The business will cover the costs if it lets them increase capacity.

There’s a trial test going on in my part of the world, of a blood drop analysed by a laser that’s cheap and fast (£10, 10 minutes), but it’s not yet as accurate as the nasal swap.
    https://gulfnews.com/uae/how-it-works-faster-cheaper-covid-test-using-laser-in-abu-dhabi-1.1597239122278?slide=1
    Hospitality venues will not pay the costs. Margins are too tight. Customers will pay. And if you can’t pay you will be shut out of normal life.

• Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    edited September 2020
    What the hell is he wittering on about?

The slides from the brief are here:
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/919548/20200921_Briefing.pdf

The only one with a spike in Covid deaths is the one with Spain on it.

Going to the raw data and taking a seven day average, I get this for Spain:

Which is literally exactly the same.

Seriously, if a journalist wants to complain about "fake news," then possibly he should, you know, not say things that are explicitly and obviously untrue.
This discussion has been closed.