Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The US polling that’s putting the focus on the key group that backs Trump – evangelical Chrisitans –

Comments

• Options
    Jonathan said:

I fear the government hasn’t had a COVID policy for a while. It seemed to con itself into believing that it had gone away by itself.

There are three possible policies...

1) Minimise disruption, do nothing/herd immunity
    2) Minimise economic and social impact, manage it to within NHS capacity
    3) Minimise casualties, aim for eradication

That’s about it. You have to pick either 1,2 or 3.

Whatever they go for, it has to be a set of clear consistent policies that we are going to stick with for 6 months. Absolutely pointless to do 2 weeks of harsh restrictions, then flip to a different set of more lack rules for the next 4, then back to something harsher.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,675

Given the coverage of tomorrow's announcement in the press and on Twitter, we clearly still have government policies being leaked out to the favoured press in dribs and drabs, despite the Speaker insisting that such announcements should be made in the House of Commons. I wonder what the source of the leaks is? It's a poor way to govern, whatever. They (the government and advisors) should shut up until BJ addresses the Commons and then has his press conference in the evening.

I feel like my entire life Speakers have been complaining about announcements being made through the press rather than the Commons. I agree with the complaint, but I have no idea if it really has gotten any worse.

Its a shame [May] didn't follow the path of other ex-PMs in recent years and step down from politics at the next election.
    I disagree. Whether one likes May now, or did before, or whether one never liked her, I think it a positive thing that she continues to serve her constituents and her country in her role as an MP. I don't see why an ex-PM who still wants to give back to public life should feel obliged to do so through setting up some foundation or whatever rather than going back to a role which they might well have been better at than the role of PM. They would still have valuable insights to offer (perhaps only in doing the reverse of what they suggest, for those who disliked them), and perhaps even could return to ministerial office one day. Especially as some people enter the Commons young, and are there for decades, they should not feel like there is nothing left in politics for them.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Fascinating how it's always the migrant Jocks who think that the SNP are obsessed by Bannockburn and Braveheart. Shows how long they've been away from Scotland I guess.
    I can't remember the last time (apart from that very strange vandalism of the statue which convinced nobody) that 1314 came up in Scottish discourse, outside said self-exiles, apart from the MoD trying to wreck the 1314 commemoration in 2014 by putting on jets at a suddenly arranged armed forces day nearby. The irony was it was the National Trust for Scotland who were doing the event. An organization which let Neil Oliver inveigh against indy in his spare time, at least when he later (?) became convener, (but which got rid of him for other political sins latterly).

PS I did enjoy Dr OLiver's battlefields research, to give him full credit.
    I mostly agree, but we're still left with that grim anthem...
    Well, some people prefer to sing about Flodden, but I prefer 'A man's a man for a that' myself!
    Burns is always worth it. Maybe not the easiest song for group singing?
    I guess everyone linking arms for "Auld Lang Syne" is out this Hogmanay?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I fear the government hasn’t had a COVID policy for a while. It seemed to con itself into believing that it had gone away by itself.

4) Minimise economic and social impact, balanced with casualties, until the Phase III vaccine trial finishes and we can move on.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    kle4 said:

Given the coverage of tomorrow's announcement in the press and on Twitter, we clearly still have government policies being leaked out to the favoured press in dribs and drabs, despite the Speaker insisting that such announcements should be made in the House of Commons. I wonder what the source of the leaks is? It's a poor way to govern, whatever. They (the government and advisors) should shut up until BJ addresses the Commons and then has his press conference in the evening.

I feel like my entire life Speakers have been complaining about announcements being made through the press rather than the Commons. I agree with the complaint, but I have no idea if it really has gotten any worse.

Its a shame [May] didn't follow the path of other ex-PMs in recent years and step down from politics at the next election.
    I disagree. Whether one likes May now, or did before, or whether one never liked her, I think it a positive thing that she continues to serve her constituents and her country in her role as an MP. I don't see why an ex-PM who still wants to give back to public life should feel obliged to do so through setting up some foundation or whatever rather than going back to a role which they might well have been better at than the role of PM. They would still have valuable insights to offer (perhaps only in doing the reverse of what they suggest, for those who disliked them), and perhaps even could return to ministerial office one day. Especially as some people enter the Commons young, and are there for decades, they should not feel like there is nothing left in politics for them.
    Ted Heath of course returned to being a backbench MP for 27 years after he ceased to be PM
  • Options
    We'll see what Keir says tomorrow but I'm encouraged by what's being said so far.

A New Labour approach indeed.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

LadyG said:

And another stupid start / stop decision. We all knew this was coming a week ago, but they still went ahead with it

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1308158046418489349?s=19

To be fair to HMG, every government in the WEst is making these mad choices. Cf Paris and the Tour de France.
    Tour de France was just insane...with Macron riding along in the officials car waving.

I am genuinely surprised a rider didn't test positive after somebody screaming in their face as they went up a mountain.
    Positive tests of all sorts have a way not coming to light in the cycling game.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    'He shall spurn fate, scorn death, and bear
    His hopes 'bove wisdom, grace, and fear.
    And you all know, security
    Is mortals' chiefest enemy...'
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:
    Daughter’s business has been doing table service only since reopening on 4 July. So nothing new there.

And in our area there has been no Covid for months now.
    Andy_JS said:

I don't understand the 10pm thing. It would make more sense to close down pubs altogether.

They’d have to continue with furlough and/or provide further support. They don’t want to do that.
    If you don't mind me asking, can your daughter's business be viable with a 10pm last orders?

I hope it can be.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    Jonathan said:

What we need are clear aims. Stay home, save lives, protect the NHS was brilliant. Everyone can still quote it.
    Unfortunately, like Brexit, it seems the Tory coalition is negotiating with itself.
    There are probably advocates for all 3 positions within Cabinet. And no majority for any.
    So we don't get clear aims.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911

HYUFD said:
    I can't imagine Witty and Valance onboard with that. They were really clear today they wanted much more limited interactions between different households.
    It’s a massive relief TBH.

My day at the pub on Saturday with five mates is saved.

Thank god.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    HYUFD said:
    2001 is nearly a quarter of a century?
    By next election he means between 2005 and 2024. Which is 19.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:
    By 2024 it will be.

Though its a rather meaningless statistic too.
    https://xkcd.com/1122/
  • Options
    Labour is doing everything right to win in 2024 - but it isn't enough, yet
  • Options

Labour has started to fix some of the issues as to why it lost in 2019.

What has it done yet to identify and fix why they lost in 2015?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158
    edited September 2020

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:
    Daughter’s business has been doing table service only since reopening on 4 July. So nothing new there.

Andy_JS said:

I don't understand the 10pm thing. It would make more sense to close down pubs altogether.

They’d have to continue with furlough and/or provide further support. They don’t want to do that.
    If you don't mind me asking, can your daughter's business be viable with a 10pm last orders?

I hope it can be.
    So do I and so does she!

It is better than being closed, especially if there is no support. She has effectively turned herself into a restaurant since reopening and has complied with all the restrictions. Autumn is usually a quieter time but if she can keep her regular clientele eating there that will help. She has had requests for table bookings already over the Xmas period. And people around here tend to eat early. So she can also open a bit earlier.

The real loss is people who stay late and have lots of shots etc while chatting with friends - that is where a lot of money can be made - but that has not been possible since reopening.

The difficulties will come with three things:-

1. Getting people who know each other not mingling when they are in the pub. Easy enough to book tables for 6 but harder to stop people who are good friends from wandering over and talking.

2. People becoming scared again and not going to the pub at all. So that her business is effectively killed by this latest announcement but done at arm’s length so that the government avoids shutting down and providing any support. This is her greatest fear.

3. The length of time this will go on for. The Xmas party trade will be lost. But she - like every other hospitality venue - badly needs a full proper season starting next March. If this half-life continues until next summer, the government is not going to kill just the hospitality sector but a whole load of other businesses as well. And the unemployment and welfare costs will be astronomical.

So she will try her best. But who has much hope these days, frankly?

• Options

It doesn't have Ed M as the leader.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    They already are compulsory in cabs in my experience - even when one is sat in the back seat. It’s a pain as I keep forgetting mine!
  • Options
    edited September 2020

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:
    By 2024 it will be.

Yeah. I edited it. That is one of my favourite political cartoons btw. Past performance is no guide to the future.
    In 1987 I thought the Tories would rule forever. They won only one tiny majority in the next 28 years.
    In 92 I doubted Labour would ever win again.
    They were in the lead, often massively, for the vast majority of the next 15 years.
  • Options

I am also not really sure what it achieves. Leaking the budget is about getting some positive news cycles. You don't get extra brownie points for saying you will close the boozer an hour early.

This is about public health and people already get confused from hearing this, then that. You need the message to be clear and concise.
    Lots of pubs (most?) open later than 11pm and have done for several years. Why do people still go on about pubs closing at 11pm? Those licensing rules ended years and years ago.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:
    By 2024 it will be.

Yeah. I edited it. That is one of my favourite political cartoons btw. Past performance is no guide to the future.
    In 1987 I thought the Tories would rule forever. They won only one tiny majority in the next 28 years.
    They were in the lead, often massively, for the vast majority of the next 15 years.
    I see your edit and he means 2001 to 2024, not 2005 to 2024.

2001 was the last time Labour won the English popular vote. 2005 Labour won the election, but the Tories won the English popular vote. Didn't hear as much objections to that election vs popular vote outcome from the left that year.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

What we need are clear aims. Stay home, save lives, protect the NHS was brilliant. Everyone can still quote it.
    Unfortunately, like Brexit, it seems the Tory coalition is negotiating with itself.
    There are probably advocates for all 3 positions within Cabinet. And no majority for any.
    So we don't get clear aims.
    It may have been a brilliant slogan, but it was a truly dismal time. Months spent without a pint despite endless sunkissed evenings, the beating heart of Merrie England ripped out.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    edited September 2020

Yes, ideologically Starmer is basically a more telegenic version of Ed Miliband or Gordon Brown, he may not be Corbyn but he is certainly not Blair either
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,480
    edited September 2020
    Biden's forecast current lead in the crucial states/districts according to 538:

ME2: 0.2%
    North Carolina: 0.8%
    Florida: 1.8%
    NE2: 2.3%
    Arizona: 3.6%
    Pennsylvania: 4.3%

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-election-forecast/

In other words, Trump needs a swingback of 2.2%.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:
    By 2024 it will be.

2001 was the last time Labour won the English popular vote. 2005 Labour won the election, but the Tories won the English popular vote. Didn't hear as much objections to that election vs popular vote outcome from the left that year.
    My point was that there was no poll between 2001 and 5. Just as there won't be from 2019 to 24.
    Difficult indeed to top any poll that doesn't take place.
    And. I thought we were a United Kingdom? Under your ideal system FPTP you lost in 2005. It wasn't an English election.
    I, who favours PR, believe 2005 was a bad outcome for the country and Labour to win on such a small vote share.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:
    By 2024 it will be.

My point was that there was no poll between 2001 and 5. Just as there won't be from 2019 to 24.
    Difficult indeed to top any poll that doesn't take place.
    And. I thought we were a United Kingdom? Under your ideal system FPTP you lost in 2005. It wasn't an English election.
    I, who favours PR, believe 2005 was a bad outcome for the country and Labour to win on such a small vote share.
    It was Goodwin not me making the point. I agree with you that it wasn't that strong a point which is why I posted the xkcd comic.

I have no qualms about losing the election because of FPTP if that is how people voted. Same advice I'd give to the Democrats applied to the Tories. The Tories were in 2005 piling up massive majorities in safe rural seats while not appealing to the swing towns. Rather than complain about the system, the Tories fixed the issue and appealed to the voters. Good.

The one thing that was bad in 2005 and a distortion of FPTP was the imbalanced seat sizes etc which got fixed since then.
  • Options
    The knowledge of the pub industry on PB is generally woeful, thanks to the large proportion of people on here who never or only rarely visit them.

There was a particularly embarrassing episode recently when several PBers announced the death warrant of pubs as an service in terminal decline, only to then be informed that their numbers were actually growing before the pandemic hit.

In that same thread, the very same PBers dismissed successful pubs as “glorified restaurants” - otherwise known as fantastic pubs with great kitchens, which are female friendly and are a massive British success story.

• Options
    Around my home in the countryside, 11PM does seem to be a common closing time, I have often been kicked out at this time
  • Options
    I see Trump is doing loads of rallies, i mean protests. I am sure if he had his way he would have just done them every week for the past 4 years.
  • Options

Around my home in the countryside, 11PM does seem to be a common closing time, I have often been kicked out at this time

Sure. One of my country pub faves shuts at 10pm, but it’s not the norm or the law. Thousands of pubs are licensed until 12, some until 1, some later or even 24 hour!
  • Options

Sure. One of my country pub faves shuts at 10pm, but it’s not the norm or the law. Thousands of pubs are licensed until 12, some until 1, some later or even 24 hour!
    I wasn't wishing to contradict. In London I've been in past 12:30
  • Options

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

Can you imagine a British winter without British pubs?? It is unthinkable. We might as well commit suicide.
    There was a survey quoted here which showed that more than half the population NEVER go into a pub. There must be lots more like me who pop into one now and then. The proportion who go regularly (i.e. several times a week) is I'd guess about 20%? The proportion who couldn't live without them for one winter must be smaller than that.

I'm not advocating shutting them down - pubs with space and air and precautions like Cyclefree's daughter's pub don't sound very risky. But in the same way as the barber that I go to has precautions by the bucketload while his competitor up the road has zilch, it seems fair to have strict rules and close the pubs that don't abide by them and undercut the responsible ones.
    So this is one of the things I'm finding mysterious about the British response as I understand it. Britain has world-beating infrastructure when it comes to interfering busybodies micromanaging detailed elfin safety rules for small businesses. Yet they seem to be treating businesses only in broad categories, and instead trying to micromanage *individuals*.
  • Options
    7 UK unis now have covid outbreaks and loads aren't even really into full swing of things.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited September 2020
    The table service thing (if i’m Understanding it correctly) is going to be a complete disaster for some pubs. There is a pub near me, very popular who takes its responsibilities very seriously, which is operating extremely strict rules as follows (under what is effectively a takeaway service for anyone drinking outside). They have table service for anyone inside the pub. Many tables out of action to ensure 2m between parties. For anyone drinking on the nearby terrace (public land - where rule of six etc kicks in) they enforce strict rules for bar service - 3 people inside the pub queueing at 2 m distance. And they enforce it.

I don’t see how they can operate under new rules. And it’s completely unjust.

Just saying “people can do without the pub” is just stupid. There will still be huge numbers on the terrace. It is an extremely popular spot. It is the view from Richmond Hill.
  • Options
    Oh btw is it “pubs must close (their doors) at 10” (everybody out) or “last orders at 10”?
  • Options
    Anyone considered than table service (no compulsory masks for staff) is also potentially worse? All those waiters potentially taking Covid from group to group?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,230
    All hail to Chris? Yet another naughty boy?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Yet another U-turn from the Government - it seems local Government re-organisation is off the agenda:

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/surrey-county-council-live-unitary-18970570

Rule of six looks like it will only last for days, too
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited September 2020
    alex_ said:

Anyone considered than table service (no compulsory masks for staff) is also potentially worse? All those waiters potentially taking Covid from group to group?

That doesn't seem to be happening much in practice, there are a bunch of clusters in restaurants where nearly everyone at the table with the spreader and sometimes adjacent tables got infected but the waiting staff didn't. They're only with the customers for a short time. But obviously the waiting staff should be wearing masks, and so should the customers apart from when they're actually eating.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Then the government would have to pay for them again.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Which would get us to where those countries currently doing better, such as Germany and Italy, currently are. Numbers are creeping up even here, though.
  • Options
    Boris is not exactly looking in top form, any chance of a stalking horse candidate (as in 1989), or do party rules now preclude that sort of thing.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

LadyG said:

And another stupid start / stop decision. We all knew this was coming a week ago, but they still went ahead with it

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1308158046418489349?s=19

To be fair to HMG, every government in the WEst is making these mad choices. Cf Paris and the Tour de France.
    Tour de France was just insane...with Macron riding along in the officials car waving.

I am genuinely surprised a rider didn't test positive after somebody screaming in their face as they went up a mountain.
    And yet they didn't.
    There is still no confirmed case of outdoor transmission...
    Well that isn't true. For starters, there was a large outbreak at a pub in Stone. The "super spreader" attended twice, once drinking in the beer garden (they set up a bar out there) and once for a party. 10s of people from both those nights were infected.
    In which case I withdraw as I am obviously mistaken. Am now trying to remember where I heard that.
    Sounded very convincing at the time.
    And evidence that Cheltenham did cause some spreading.

For outdoors, the risk factors appear to be prolonged proximity and a lot of exercised talking, shouting or singing.

I don’t think anyone has been infected by passing someone on the street.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    I can't imagine Witty and Valance onboard with that. They were really clear today they wanted much more limited interactions between different households.
    It’s a massive relief TBH.

My day at the pub on Saturday with five mates is saved.

Thank god.
    And an early night for you all, as a bonus.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

I hope it can be.
    So do I and so does she!

It is better than being closed, especially if there is no support. She has effectively turned herself into a restaurant since reopening and has complied with all the restrictions. Autumn is usually a quieter time but if she can keep her regular clientele eating there that will help. She has had requests for table bookings already over the Xmas period. And people around here tend to eat early. So she can also open a bit earlier.

The real loss is people who stay late and have lots of shots etc while chatting with friends - that is where a lot of money can be made - but that has not been possible since reopening.

The difficulties will come with three things:-

1. Getting people who know each other not mingling when they are in the pub. Easy enough to book tables for 6 but harder to stop people who are good friends from wandering over and talking.

2. People becoming scared again and not going to the pub at all. So that her business is effectively killed by this latest announcement but done at arm’s length so that the government avoids shutting down and providing any support. This is her greatest fear.

3. The length of time this will go on for. The Xmas party trade will be lost. But she - like every other hospitality venue - badly needs a full proper season starting next March. If this half-life continues until next summer, the government is not going to kill just the hospitality sector but a whole load of other businesses as well. And the unemployment and welfare costs will be astronomical.

So she will try her best. But who has much hope these days, frankly?

Yes, my brother’s position is similar. A big flaw in the UK restaurant model is pricing that ensures the profit is all in the drink. So staying open late, hosting large parties and events, and specials like Xmas and a New Year provide a disproportionate amount of the profit.

We would be better off with the Italian model where drinks are priced reasonably - none of the doubling or trebling the price of a bottle of wine we get here - but you pay relatively a bit more for the meal, topped up with small cover charges and the like.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Are you sure that these pubs actually were closing? ;)
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Oh btw is it “pubs must close (their doors) at 10” (everybody out) or “last orders at 10”?

Lock-ins of five customers and the landlord?
  • Options

alex_ said:

That doesn't seem to be happening much in practice, there are a bunch of clusters in restaurants where nearly everyone at the table with the spreader and sometimes adjacent tables got infected but the waiting staff didn't. They're only with the customers for a short time. But obviously the waiting staff should be wearing masks, and so should the customers apart from when they're actually eating.
    Very few things happen “much”. Once you get away from the scary looking projections, the actual numbers of people infected are tiny. At the end of the day if you are in a pub/restaurant that pays no attention to the rules whatsoever, packs people in like sardines, the virus still can’t get transmitted unless one person actually has it. When the Govt are setting “risk levels” at 20 cases per 100,000 just think what the actual chances of bumping into it at that level are...

Now that’s obviously not a reason not to have any rules, but it does seem something that is forgotten from time to time. A picture is published of people apparently not taking precautions and many people seem to automatically assume that they’ll all have Covid by the morning.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

The table service thing (if i’m Understanding it correctly) is going to be a complete disaster for some pubs. There is a pub near me, very popular who takes its responsibilities very seriously, which is operating extremely strict rules as follows (under what is effectively a takeaway service for anyone drinking outside). They have table service for anyone inside the pub. Many tables out of action to ensure 2m between parties. For anyone drinking on the nearby terrace (public land - where rule of six etc kicks in) they enforce strict rules for bar service - 3 people inside the pub queueing at 2 m distance. And they enforce it.

Just saying “people can do without the pub” is just stupid. There will still be huge numbers on the terrace. It is an extremely popular spot. It is the view from Richmond Hill.

I suppose they could get round it by having a table placed conveniently at the bar...
  • Options
    September 14th - London numbers rise (again) - Govt “must put more restrictions in place”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/london-coronavirus-cases-testing-mystery-cases-fall-virus-spreads-a4552181.html

September 21st - London numbers fall - “Govt don’t trust the figures”.

If ever there was an example of those in charge bending, or dismissing figures to fit a narrative...

And between these two points the Government even put in place new restrictions which they are just assuming couldn’t possibly have had any effect.

It’s been the same throughout this crisis. Government put in place measures which they claim are carefully proportioned to deliver good outcomes (“based on the science”). And before the ink has even dried on them, and without any meaningful time period elapsing and related attempt to assess their effectiveness, they’ve moved on to the next level.

So they will introduce 10pm curfews, and then a few days later some numbers will go up again somewhere (probably somewhere without much of a pub culture). And before the ink has dried on those measures they will bring in some more. And then if case numbers happen to come down they will suddenly focus on other “lagging” indicators (hospitalisations or deaths) and claim that despite the case numbers improving, they are not giving a true picture. And so more measures introduced. And so on.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Very few things happen “much”. Once you get away from the scary looking projections, the actual numbers of people infected are tiny. At the end of the day if you are in a pub/restaurant that pays no attention to the rules whatsoever, packs people in like sardines, the virus still can’t get transmitted unless one person actually has it. When the Govt are setting “risk levels” at 20 cases per 100,000 just think what the actual chances of bumping into it at that level are...

Now that’s obviously not a reason not to have any rules, but it does seem something that is forgotten from time to time. A picture is published of people apparently not taking precautions and many people seem to automatically assume that they’ll all have Covid by the morning.
    A good point that is often forgotten. You have almost to be both foolish and unlucky to get the virus, although sometimes just unlucky is enough.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855

isam said:

Pretty incredible - purposely scaring the horses
    I watched the briefing live on Sky. When that slide came up, we were specifically told that the red (future) bars were "not a forecast" but an indication of what *might* happen if no action is taken. I knew then that all the press would talk about was tens of thousands of more deaths coming. In my view this is because this is a science story being reported on by political journalists. It's rubbish.
    Completely right. There’s still dozens of political and opinion pieces in this morning’s papers questioning the government scientists, yet very few pieces written by anyone with a scientific background.

We are entering a critical stage in how this crisis evolves over the winder, yet most of the idiots in the Lobby and those paid to have an ‘opinion’ still haven’t realised that sometimes it’s better to stay silent and be thought a fool...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    IanB2 said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

A good point that is often forgotten. You have almost to be both foolish and unlucky to get the virus, although sometimes just unlucky is enough.
    Actually not a million miles from lung cancer.
  • Options
    Pertinent to last night’s discussion about why people in Italy appear to be taking it more seriously than elsewhere, an extract from Bergamo’s local paper:

My city, Bergamo, is no longer the same, I no longer recognize it. And this is not right. "In the living room of Verissimo ", hosted by Silvia Toffanin, Roby Facchinetti tells with emotion the terrible months lived by his city, Bergamo, tormented by the coronavirus pandemic. Thousands of deaths, the sad images of military trucks loaded with coffins leaving the city cemetery. "They are wounds that will never go away. There are decimated families. I myself have lost seven people, including three relatives and two family friends, "explains the former keyboardist of Pooh." Now things are better, but, I must say, I no longer recognize my city. When people meet, you can't talk about anything else ". The terrible images of March 18 - those trucks loaded with dead leaving the Bergamo cemetery - went around the world." I was terrified of Covid ", Facchinetti reveals. "Every day I went to get the newspaper, our newspaper, all wrapped up. Bergamo is a big village, we all know each other. The obituary pages had gone from one and a half to ten. This virus is such an incredible beast that it can affect anyone ".
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,855

Those actually involved won’t be the ones leaking, it’ll be those who hear about things from the inside and are opposed to the measures, whether they be ministers, spads or civil servants.

We are in agreement that the media would be best shutting up about things that haven’t been announced formally by the appropriate minister, this is not a time for politics as usual and the general public - people who need clarity - are instead being deliberately confused.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    The future legal battleground in the US.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/supreme-court-packing-alternatives.html
    ... Perhaps the most powerful argument for jurisdiction stripping is that the Constitution clearly permits it. Article III, section 1 of the Constitution gives Congress complete discretion on whether to create the lower federal courts, a power that Congress has used from the founding to limit lower courts’ jurisdiction. And Article III, section 2, clause 2 explicitly empowers Congress to make “exceptions” to the Supreme Court’s appellate jurisdiction—that is, to pick and choose for approximately 99 percent of the Supreme Court’s total docket what cases the Court has the power to hear. As I explain in a law review article, to be published in December in the New York University Law Review, under its Article III authority, Congress can remove the Supreme Court’s appellate jurisdiction over particular cases, or particular issues, largely without constraint....
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Those actually involved won’t be the ones leaking, it’ll be those who hear about things from the inside and are opposed to the measures, whether they be ministers, spads or civil servants.

We are in agreement that the media would be best shutting up about things that haven’t been announced formally by the appropriate minister, this is not a time for politics as usual and the general public - people who need clarity - are instead being deliberately confused.
    CNN says it is all ” according to a Downing Street statement ahead of the speech.”
  • Options
    On topic - perhaps my favourite Christopher Hitchen's quote of all time talking about the death of 'Pastor' Jerry Falwell: "If you gave Falwell an enema he could be buried in a matchbox".
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

I suppose they could get round it by having a table placed conveniently at the bar...
    Genius! A small high table and chair right up against the bar. Very short occupancy. And what will you be having, sir? With a suitably spaced out queue for the table.

It didn’t take diners long to work out you could get Rishi’s discount several times over if you paid for each course of a meal separately. So I expect we will see this table trick somewhere quite soon.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

isam said:

I watched the briefing live on Sky. When that slide came up, we were specifically told that the red (future) bars were "not a forecast" but an indication of what *might* happen if no action is taken. I knew then that all the press would talk about was tens of thousands of more deaths coming. In my view this is because this is a science story being reported on by political journalists. It's rubbish.
    Completely right. There’s still dozens of political and opinion pieces in this morning’s papers questioning the government scientists, yet very few pieces written by anyone with a scientific background.

We are entering a critical stage in how this crisis evolves over the winder, yet most of the idiots in the Lobby and those paid to have an ‘opinion’ still haven’t realised that sometimes it’s better to stay silent and be thought a fool...
    It was not “a forecast” as such. Although whether there was much “scientific” about it was another matter. It was a projection based on a convenient manipulation of existing data. Had they so wished they could have used the existing data to produce any number of alternative graphs, of various degrees of severity.

Now to some extent I have no problem with people using “scary graphs”/“bad case scenarios” to reinforce and encourage people to follow existing law and Government guidance. But this was being used deliberately to argue for and justify new countrywide restrictions (with all the negative impacts that this will have). And argued to some extent from a viewpoint as if we have no mitigation measures in place already (including some which are so recent they won’t have had a chance to impact on existing figures).

Professor Ferguson (of the model) has been all over the media again recently telling us we are having case numbers now as they were at the end of February. The implication being obvious. But at the end of February we had no social distancing, no masks, no quarantine for foreign travel, no rule of six, no regulations for businesses, pubs and restaurants, nightclubs open, no widespread WFH, no protection for Care Homes, no vulnerable people taking themselves out of general circulation to protect themselves...

And now we have even more blanket laws coming in which will unjustly kill off perfectly safe and viable businesses who have carried out full risk assessments and reasonable risk mitigation, just because they can’t quite fit their business models exactly to fit the blunt instrument of blanket Government restrictions.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

isam said:

It was not “a forecast” as such. Although whether there was much “scientific” about it was another matter. It was a projection based on a convenient manipulation of existing data. Had they so wished they could have used the existing data to produce any number of alternative graphs, of various degrees of severity.

Now to some extent I have no problem with people using “scary graphs”/“bad case scenarios” to reinforce and encourage people to follow existing law and Government guidance. But this was being used deliberately to argue for and justify new countrywide restrictions (with all the negative impacts that this will have). And argued to some extent from a viewpoint as if we have no mitigation measures in place already (including some which are so recent they won’t have had a chance to impact on existing figures).

Professor Ferguson (of the model) has been all over the media again recently telling us we are having case numbers now as they were at the end of February. The implication being obvious. But at the end of February we had no social distancing, no masks, no quarantine for foreign travel, no rule of six, no regulations for businesses, pubs and restaurants, nightclubs open, no widespread WFH, no protection for Care Homes, no vulnerable people taking themselves out of general circulation to protect themselves...

And now we have even more blanket laws coming in which will unjustly kill off perfectly safe and viable businesses who have carried out full risk assessments and reasonable risk mitigation, just because they can’t quite fit their business models exactly to fit the blunt instrument of blanket Government restrictions.
    Yet still many PBers will agitate for more and more, and assure us we can do without the pub for a winter (and presumably the publicans and their staff can do without a livelihood)
  • Options
    The CDC finally published guidance yesterday about airborne infection routes for coronavirus. Hours later, they pulled it.

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1308211997981306883
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    RobD said:

If you watched it, you will know he prefaced it saying it was "not a projection".
    Dan has spent all his time today willfully misrepresenting that graph.
  • Options
    This is a very good thread indeed on transmission risks:

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1308080056384843777
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

Can you imagine a British winter without British pubs?? It is unthinkable. We might as well commit suicide.
    There was a survey quoted here which showed that more than half the population NEVER go into a pub. There must be lots more like me who pop into one now and then. The proportion who go regularly (i.e. several times a week) is I'd guess about 20%? The proportion who couldn't live without them for one winter must be smaller than that.

I'm not advocating shutting them down - pubs with space and air and precautions like Cyclefree's daughter's pub don't sound very risky. But in the same way as the barber that I go to has precautions by the bucketload while his competitor up the road has zilch, it seems fair to have strict rules and close the pubs that don't abide by them and undercut the responsible ones.
    Pubs were declining rapidly even before the pandemic, and it will doubtless have killed many off. More than 7,000 closed between 2010 and 2017. They will never disappear completely, but many will mutate into restaurants with bars and many more will shut as their ageing clientele disappears.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

So this is one of the things I'm finding mysterious about the British response as I understand it. Britain has world-beating infrastructure when it comes to interfering busybodies micromanaging detailed elfin safety rules for small businesses. Yet they seem to be treating businesses only in broad categories, and instead trying to micromanage *individuals*.
    This is an excellent point. There is another approach to broad brush laws, with often arbitrary unscientific requirements, that every business has to attempt to squeeze itself into (and which many will not be able to and go out of business as a result). Others on the other hand may find loopholes which place them within the letter but not the spirit of the law (the wrong way around!)

Require every business to produce a COVID risk assessment, and operational plan to be signed off by the local authority. Underpinning this can be Government guidance on recommended operating practice (like table service in pubs). Where precise compliance with Government guidance is impractical/impossible allow flexibility to show how alternative arrangements are being put in place to comply with the spirit of the guidance, if not the letter. (Eg. a highly social distanced queuing system at the bar)

And reinforce this with checks from local authority officers/police to ensure compliance with the agreed plan.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Nigelb said:

Agreed. Most of the contact/transmission detail is what we already know, but it does bring out how much easier it is for those with more money and space to take the necessary precautions, and argue that more should be done to support the poor. Good luck with that in the US.

Another key point is that it spreads more readily within than between households, and one person out of a household becoming infected is bad news for the rest.

Once again it flags the superspreader phenomenon - that many infected people don’t go on to infect anyone while a few infect very many more. It doesn’t fully resolve why but suggests infectious people may have a shorter period of time when they are especially infectious. This seems to suggest that a lot infected people may have potential to be superspreaders for a short period during their infection? Making timely test and trace absolutely critical, I’d have thought.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited September 2020
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

I don't know who you think is forgetting that. The point of the rules and the changes in behaviour is to reduce the average number of people each infected person infects. If that gets above 1, even if it starts at a level where it isn't a big problem, it'll grow until it becomes a big problem.

So what the policy needs to do is to work out the least disruptive set of changes that can get the average below 1. Right now it seems like there's a strong argument for why it's very harmful to have kids out of school, especially for disadvantaged children, so if there's some leeway, it seems better to use it in places like that, rather than in trying to bring restaurants back to high occupancy.
  • Options

The knowledge of the pub industry on PB is generally woeful, thanks to the large proportion of people on here who never or only rarely visit them.

There was a particularly embarrassing episode recently when several PBers announced the death warrant of pubs as an service in terminal decline, only to then be informed that their numbers were actually growing before the pandemic hit.

In that same thread, the very same PBers dismissed successful pubs as “glorified restaurants” - otherwise known as fantastic pubs with great kitchens, which are female friendly and are a massive British success story.

Where do you get the "numbers actually growing"? There were 61,000 in 2000, now there are about 47,000.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    HYUFD said:

Yes, ideologically Starmer is basically a more telegenic version of Ed Miliband or Gordon Brown, he may not be Corbyn but he is certainly not Blair either
    I don't see not being Blair as a disadvantage.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Where do you get the "numbers actually growing"? There were 61,000 in 2000, now there are about 47,000.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51135755
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    @Cyclefree are you willing to name your daughters pub? I would love to visit if I can to support it. I assume it’s in the Lakes?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983
    Sandpit said:

I'm sure the tories would be calling for a halt to politics as usual if it were Corbo fucking this up instead of the Perugia Playboy. They would be putting the hoof in 24x7.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    alex_ said:

Fishing said:

Probably a freak year in an overall declining trend.

Like 2002.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    alex_ said:

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

This is an excellent point. There is another approach to broad brush laws, with often arbitrary unscientific requirements, that every business has to attempt to squeeze itself into (and which many will not be able to and go out of business as a result). Others on the other hand may find loopholes which place them within the letter but not the spirit of the law (the wrong way around!)

Require every business to produce a COVID risk assessment, and operational plan to be signed off by the local authority. Underpinning this can be Government guidance on recommended operating practice (like table service in pubs). Where precise compliance with Government guidance is impractical/impossible allow flexibility to show how alternative arrangements are being put in place to comply with the spirit of the guidance, if not the letter. (Eg. a highly social distanced queuing system at the bar)

And reinforce this with checks from local authority officers/police to ensure compliance with the agreed plan.
    The problem is the good being tarred with the bad. A lot of restaurants and pubs are acting quite responsibly, and others are giving lip service to the rules, and not even that later at night.

Oadby briefly became the second hottest spot in the country a week or so ago, relating it seems to activity like this non socially distanced wedding with 200 guests:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/oadby-restaurant-temporarily-closed-council-4530103

The problem is that to break the virus we need pretty universal following of the rules, and those rules to be enforced before rather than after the fact.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

alex_ said:

Fishing said:

Like 2002.
    Or, a long term decline *might* have levelled off (pre Covid) because the decline in going out for a drink is being balanced off by the rise in going out for a meal.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited September 2020
    The public are being taken for fools . Any business has a strategy for justification for doing certain actions. i think we are entitled to be told directly by government what the strategy on covid-19 is ? What is the end game? Is it complete elimination ? (why when flu is not treated the same) , is it to get a vaccine (that will take years to be effective if ever) . If its not either of these then why the ruinous restrictions ? Maybe the strategy of this pathetic government is to never admit they were wrong on Covid -19 and thus keep up pretending they can control a virus (nobody can ) .
    Covid-19 has a 99.8 % survival rate FFS (at least)- the same as flu
  • Options
    @IanB2

"And evidence that Cheltenham did cause some spreading."

I have heard this repeatedly on here but despite asking several times for evidence I have seen none. Do you have any? I am particularly interested because I attended and live in the area.

The town of Cheltenham, in common with the Cotswolds and Gloucestershire generally, have very low Covid numbers now. If there was a Festival spike the region has certainly recovered well.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

I'm sure the tories would be calling for a halt to politics as usual if it were Corbo fucking this up instead of the Perugia Playboy. They would be putting the hoof in 24x7.
    Sandpit is missing the point that this info came to the media directly from Downing Street with the intention that they publish it.
  • Options

@IanB2

I have heard this repeatedly on here but despite asking several times for evidence I have seen none. Do you have any? I am particularly interested because I attended and live in the area.

The town of Cheltenham, in common with the Cotswolds and Gloucestershire generally, have very low Covid numbers now. If there was a Festival spike the region has certainly recovered well.

I am not sure whether it was ‘proven’ (nor that it ever could be, or disproven) but there was this:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/21/experts-inquiry-cheltenham-festival-coronavirus-deaths
  • Options
    edited September 2020

@IanB2

i went as well and it was nice to see 60000 a day people having a good time .Something that seems to be increasingly frowned upon by Covid Kevins and Karens. We have become a miserable puritan society
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Agreed. Most of the contact/transmission detail is what we already know, but it does bring out how much easier it is for those with more money and space to take the necessary precautions, and argue that more should be done to support the poor. Good luck with that in the US.

Another key point is that it spreads more readily within than between households, and one person out of a household becoming infected is bad news for the rest.

Once again it flags the superspreader phenomenon - that many infected people don’t go on to infect anyone while a few infect very many more. It doesn’t fully resolve why but suggests infectious people may have a shorter period of time when they are especially infectious. This seems to suggest that a lot infected people may have potential to be superspreaders for a short period during their infection? Making timely test and trace absolutely critical, I’d have thought.
    No, what it suggests is what has been obvious for 6 months now. That government messaging that if you test positive you must stay at home is perhaps the most stupid policy of recent decades.

About a third of millennials in the UK live with their parents. Some portion of these also live with a grandparent. I would hazard a guess this is particularly so in the areas of the country with higher rates of South Asian immigration, which also coincides with areas of the country where work from home is more of a challenge.

Upon getting symptoms and pending a test, or following a positive test, you should be given the option of a tax payer sponsored stay in a local hotel until the required number of days has passed. You’d stop the main source of new infections in its tracks, arrest the upward slide of infection along the age curve, and give a shot in the arm to the hospitality sector.

China had good success with this model but their “hotels” were more like army prisons and you were taken at gunpoint. Singapore adopted a similar model ages ago. There, if you leave the country and come back you have to quarantine in a hotel at your own expense.

I don’t understand why people are prepared to cut the government slack for such a litany of failure. This stuff really isn’t hard.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Fishing said:

alex_ said:

Fishing said:

Like 2002.
    Or, a long term decline *might* have levelled off (pre Covid) because the decline in going out for a drink is being balanced off by the rise in going out for a meal.
    Either are possible from the evidence. I'm sure people were saying the same thing after 2002 though. In time series, you often see freak years though. And it is also worth noting that the BBPA numbers showed continuing declines.

Anyway we'll never know.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

Err, no!

In the UK we have had 41 788 deaths in 398 625 cases. That is a mortality rate of just over 10%.

While clearly we have undercounted cases, it is not by a factor of 2 orders of magnitude.
  • Options

The public are being taken for fools . Any business has a strategy for justification for doing certain actions. i think we are entitled to be told directly by government what the strategy on covid-19 is ? What is the end game? Is it complete elimination ? (why when flu is not treated the same) , is it to get a vaccine (that will take years to be effective if ever) . If its not either of these then why the ruinous restrictions ? Maybe the strategy of this pathetic government is to never admit they were wrong on Covid -19 and thus keep up pretending they can control a virus (nobody can ) .

At least a 99.8% survival rate?

That means with over 45k dead in this country that over 22.5 million have already had the virus at least here.
    Over a quarter of a million excess deaths in the USA, so over 125 million have already had the virus at least there.

Are you sure about that?

What irritates me most about the people wanting to argue against restrictions is the complete disregard for facts. I find a libertarian argument against restrictions quite compelling but this statistical bulls**t just makes it look like you're not understanding the facts.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

I don't know who you think is forgetting that. The point of the rules and the changes in behaviour is to reduce the average number of people each infected person infects. If that gets above 1, even if it starts at a level where it isn't a big problem, it'll grow until it becomes a big problem.

So what the policy needs to do is to work out the least disruptive set of changes that can get the average below 1. Right now it seems like there's a strong argument for why it's very harmful to have kids out of school, especially for disadvantaged children, so if there's some leeway, it seems better to use it in places like that, rather than in trying to bring restaurants back to high occupancy.
    Rules on things like table service - if as trailed - are not minor inconveniences to businesses. They will simply force many to close. The costs for many of mandatory table service, in staffing alone are impossible. Pubs and restaurants (think eg. McDonalds). It is being billed as not a big deal. And yet there are many other alternatives possible with a bit of flexibility allowed. Allow pubs to put in place “safe” queuing systems instead. Require mask wearing when not seated at the table. Other things. Don’t theoretically allow pubs to remain open, but under conditions where it is impossible to trade viably.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

That means with over 45k dead in this country that over 22.5 million have already had the virus at least here.
    Over a quarter of a million excess deaths in the USA, so over 125 million have already had the virus at least there.

Are you sure about that?

What irritates me most about the people wanting to argue against restrictions is the complete disregard for facts. I find a libertarian argument against restrictions quite compelling but this statistical bulls**t just makes it look like you're not understanding the facts.
    that 45k dead figure is wrong for a start as it is people dying who have covid -19 not because of it. It is people like you who twist the facts (and government) and this stat is the best example of it. Dot tell me you or the government have never used this to pretend 45K have actually died because of covid -19 because they clearly did use it that way. Wake up FFS especially if you think you are a libertarian at heart
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2020

@IanB2

The first two people in my parents' home town to get Covid developed symptoms shortly after returning from Cheltenham.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Foxy said:

Err, no!

In the UK we have had 41 788 deaths in 398 625 cases. That is a mortality rate of just over 10%.

While clearly we have undercounted cases, it is not by a factor of 2 orders of magnitude.
    Perhaps not but it’s certainly out by one order of magnitude.
  • Options

Are you sure about that?

that 45 dead figure is wrong for a start as it is people dying who have covid -19 not because of it.
    Its people who died within 28 days and its also the excess deaths figure for year to date so try again.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Foxy said:

Err, no!

I am sorry bu that stat you have used as a starting point is beyond absurd. It is worrying that people are still thinking in terms of a fatality rate of 10% due to this crass stat that the government and media did not discourage.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

LadyG said:

Andy_JS said:

The problem is the good being tarred with the bad. A lot of restaurants and pubs are acting quite responsibly, and others are giving lip service to the rules, and not even that later at night.

Oadby briefly became the second hottest spot in the country a week or so ago, relating it seems to activity like this non socially distanced wedding with 200 guests:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/oadby-restaurant-temporarily-closed-council-4530103

The problem is that to break the virus we need pretty universal following of the rules, and those rules to be enforced before rather than after the fact.
    Places that don’t follow the rules, won’t follow the rules. Regardless of the level that they are set. All tightening the rules does (in a blanket way, rather than as I am suggesting) is put the responsible places out of business and drive more people into the irresponsible ones.

Furthermore, my suggested approach would mandate much more local authority involvement. They would have the authority to monitor and immediately shut non compliant pubs, without risk of legal challenge. Because part of the legal framework would be local authority sign off.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,290
    edited September 2020
    Alistair said:

@IanB2

The first two people in my parents' home town to get Covid developed symptoms shortly after returning from Cheltenham.
    Thanks Alistair. Which town was that?

As locals and Festival-goers know, the whole of Gloucestershire is awash with visitors during the Festival. I would have expected a clear increase in the number of Covid cases following the event. Obviously some of the infected would return home but you would expect the locals to take a hit too.

I'm not saying there wasn't one, but I just haven't seen the evidence. In fact Gloucestershire's near Covid-free status suggests otherwise, which I find strange.
This discussion has been closed.