Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Who will win the first Presidential debate?

Comments

• Options

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

It really is Nicola Sturgeon and the seven dwarves in Scottish politics right now. Leonard to be replaced with another irrelevance most likely.
    I wonder if the decline of Labour and Tory in Scotland is like that of the Windies in cricket. Nobody of talent wants to get into them anymore. They choose other things instead. Which then feeds the decline until it becomes terminal. But some good signs recently for the Windies so if I'm right there is still hope for these grand old political parties north of the border.
    I would say Ruth Davidson is pretty talented, after all in 2017 she got the Tories in Scotland to their highest voteshare north of the border since 1979 and she is now back as interim Scottish Tory leader
    Yes but that rather makes the point. She dwarfed the party and even now they can't replace her.
    She will stay as Scottish Conservative leader at Holyrood until election day next year, Ross will only take over after, assuming he wins his MSP seat on polling day
    Like the other losers he will slink in on the list losers seats.
    Like Nicola Sturgeon did during her first 2 parliamentary terms?
    Come now, its great to see our Malcolm evolve from his love of PR he used to have, through to now seeing the virtues of the best voting system of all: first past the post.

I wonder what could be behind this Damascene conversion?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2020

I see people complaining on Twitter that no description of the wanted man who stabbed several people in Birmingham has been released by police.

That can't be right surely?

Something slightly weird about the some reporting / plod response. An eye witness clearly describes one of the attacks and the attacker, but some media outlets have decided to censor this e.g.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/sep/06/birmingham-stabbings-murder-inquiry-opened-after-man-killed

The idea that there is no CCTV footage of these incidents, given clear views of the attacker is highly unlikely. Perhaps there is more going on than meets the eye.
    Yes. That he's still at large. That where some of the attacks occurred would have comprehensive CCTV coverage.

Other thoughts:

The first reported attacks are very close to where I live (in fact, I was on Livery Street for other business this morning) - police were were more visible than normal.

There is a clear example of how stories get mangled up = the bar worker talking about fights (and there would be in that part of Brum) seems sincere in what she's saying.

The police have clarified the fight incident and an individual arrested wasn't the person they were looking for.

The media clearly think the (Greek?) chap is a reliable eye witness as they are all carrying his interview front and centre, however many are very carefully editing out mention of the description. Happy to run the detailed description of what sounds like a horrific attack, but not the description of the suspect. Added in the police don't seem to want to say, makes you think perhaps they are well aware who it is and have an idea where to track him down.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,923

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

On topic, I think there is too much risk for either candidate to make a screw up to bet confidently one way or another. Plus, a lot depends on viewers’ bias towards their favoured candidate (this probably favours Biden I would imagine)

FPT - @TheScreamingEagles would I get excised if Trump lies? Yes, if he did call dead servicemen suckers then he is being grossly disrespectful. I still think the story is a put up job - my main question would be why this has appeared now when it took place a while back and, given the number of people who don’t like Trump, I don’t see how it would have remained silent for so long.

My question was though would people condemn it if it did turn out to be false.

Because these debates are "virtual", the candidates will have massively more help than in normal times. We can expect both of them to have staffers holding up cue cards for them to read out.

The only possibility of excitement, then, comes if Trump decides that his staff are useless and decides to go completely ad lib.
    Are the debates virtual? It doesnt sound like it from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54003441
    That doesn't say they aren't, and I had certainly got the impression they were...

But I've been known to be completely wrong, and I may be completely wrong here again.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:
    If only someone on here had forecast this... but unfortunately selfish Brits will take holidays to the Mediterranean and Aegean.
    Why are they selfish? That just seems like a ridiculous accusation given their travel was perfectly legal.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I see people complaining on Twitter that no description of the wanted man who stabbed several people in Birmingham has been released by police.

People do complain on Twitter quite a lot so I'd be inclined to believe it.
    Well yes, but in this case I was hoping they were wrong about the facts and now it seems like they are not.

The same thing happened in the Guildford train stabbing when the murderer was on the run and no description was issued by police.
    That is what I am wondering about here. In the full clip of the interviewed eye witness he stated that one of the doormen chased the individual shouting I know who you are. Made it sounded like it was a known "face".
    Eyewitnesses in situations like this can be so contradictory, plus there's always an element of people seeing what they think they are supposed to see, coupled with shock.

If you went on Twitter/people's recollections straight after the Glasgow bin lorry crash, the overwhelming number of witnesses said the driver was an Asian/Muslim looking chap.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

Well yes, but in this case I was hoping they were wrong about the facts and now it seems like they are not.

The same thing happened in the Guildford train stabbing when the murderer was on the run and no description was issued by police.
    That is what I am wondering about here. In the full clip of the interviewed eye witness he stated that one of the doormen chased the individual shouting I know who you are. Made it sounded like it was a known "face".
    Maybe they were hoping said individual returned home not knowing the police were onto him...
    Or maybe they were hoping said individual would be apprehended by the Police and not have vigilantes getting in the way lynching the wrong person?

Or perhaps they're still taking witness statements and don't want to taint the evidence by giving a description before they've collated all the witness statements?

Or perhaps a half dozen other reasons.

Can be all sorts of operational reasons the Police want to keep information on an active case confidential. Justice must be done in public but police operations don't need to be.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

kinabalu said:

Eyewitnesses in situations like this can be so contradictory, plus there's always an element of people seeing what they think they are supposed to see, coupled with shock.

If you went on Twitter/people's recollections straight after the Glasgow bin lorry crash, the overwhelming number of witnesses said the driver was an Asian/Muslim looking chap.
    They can, but add in all the CCTV and the police being very coy. It isn't believable the police at minimum don't have a clear description and know if it matches the eye witness*. I presume there is some reason behind this (not suggesting some PC censorship angle, more as I said perhaps they do know who this is).

* Oh and they have been on twitter to rebut pictures of another individual (I believe he is something they arrested after the bar fight), saying that's definitely not him.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Time for humble pie pineapple pizza for @Ydeothur, @TheScreamingEagles and @DavidL regarding Jos Buttler this summer.

I've never doubted Buttler's limited overs talent, I do doubt his ability in the test formats, his keeping isn't good enough in the subcontinent especially, which is where we are headed this winter.
    Anyone who can’t keep to a spinner can’t keep in Sri Lanka.

And what’s more baffling is that by any measure Foakes is a better batsman against the red ball than Buttler.
    Give over.

This is the very same Jos Buttler who knocked 151 in the last Test?

Buttler does not deserve to be dropped from the Test side, Foakes yet again becoming a great player without playing.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

LadyG said:
    Its like letting everybody go on foreign holidays and mixing with people from all across Europe, then returning with no checks might not be a great plan for keeping the plague at bay.
    Perhaps. I have said I thought everyone who travels abroad should be quarantined.

But also we are seeing via the ONS data no rise in infections. So it could be, as Malmesbury calculated, simply that Test and Trace are identifying the transmissions now.

What will be interesting is to see what happens now following the effective end of large scale foreign travel (as the August holidays are now over) and the reopening of schools instead.
    True on the ONS survey (which I agree is probably as Gold Standard as whichever pollster it is we approve of these days), but the JoinZoe app has picked up an increase this week:

https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/incidence-update-4-sep

Let's hope we're ready enough for what's to come.
    That's almost the same as the ONS survey which estimates 2,000 new cases per day. I don't think there's any great difference there.

A modelled UK peak is around 130,000 per day, which is pretty much what you would expect from the IFR and death rate.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

LadyG said:
    That is somewhat alarming.
    Surely we knew that people returning to schools and universities would lead to some increase in infection rates? Looking at the ONS data R has been about 1 from mid June to 25 August. Without further action it will be above 1 for the rest of the year. Presumably the govt is thinking that local lockdowns are sufficient further action to bring it back towards 1, otherwise some of the things allowed back more recently will need to be stopped again.

It seems a natural consequence of our policy decisions rather than alarming.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yes which is why I think if the SNP win a majority next year at Holyrood they will have to wait for a Starmer premiership in 2024 to be granted an indyref2, though given Starmer would agree to an EEA style FTA with the EU unlike Boris and probably throw in devomax too that would make a Yes vote less likely anyway

I'm sure Starmer will grant the SNP their vote on the condition of their support in Westminster and the recognition he will campaign for Scotland to remain in the Union.

I imagine the LDs will support that but as for the Conservatives, here's the thing - publicly they may stand four-square behind the Union but will they want to be on the same platform as Starmer and Labour and of course we all know IF Scotland leaves the Union, Conservative prospects in RUK will be much improved.

Let me ask you as an activist - if you were able, would you go to Scotland and campaign for the retention of the Union in a second referendum and would you campaign alongside Labour and Lib Dem activists if that were the case?
    Exactly. HYUFD and his like are treating Scotland like an imperial English colony, and driving it away, yet will blame SKS and Labour while reaping the electoral benefit.

It's worth bearing in mind, however, that in most elections Scotland made no difference to the largely ENglish overall result - either it got what it voted for (usually Labour pre 1950s) or not at all (Tories) and the result would have been the same even if there had not been a Great War and Scotland had gone indy in the 1920s.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

kinabalu said:

What rules do the police follow in deciding whether to do that? I don’t know despite watching a lot of crime dramas.
  • Options

MrEd said:

If Trump wins again, Sopel will literally explode
    he won't be alone.
    Well we know you'll be 'exploding'.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

They can, but add in all the CCTV and the police being very coy. It isn't believable the police at minimum don't have a clear description and know if it matches the eye witness*. I presume there is some reason behind this (not suggesting some PC censorship angle, more as I said perhaps they do know who this is).

* Oh and they have been on twitter to rebut pictures of another individual (I believe he is something they arrested after the bar fight), saying that's definitely not him.
    Based on past occasions it might be something like the perpetrator is currently on or awaiting trial and they don't want to do anything that might prejudice a jury.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    But also the number of cases is rising, and that's concerning Hatt Manc@ck

So go to work please, but be afraid again. Its safe, but it could soon be unsafe again. YOu are free to live as you wish, but we could soon change that. We're following the science until it changes. We know more,. but we still don;t know much.

And reach out if you become mentally ill from the government's campaign, but still be afraid. Be concerned. Be concernedly sane.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Based on past occasions it might be something like the perpetrator is currently on or awaiting trial and they don't want to do anything that might prejudice a jury.
    That is what I was wondering, especially lets say this doorman was correct and he does know the individual for reasons that are unlikely to be good.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yes which is why I think if the SNP win a majority next year at Holyrood they will have to wait for a Starmer premiership in 2024 to be granted an indyref2, though given Starmer would agree to an EEA style FTA with the EU unlike Boris and probably throw in devomax too that would make a Yes vote less likely anyway

I'm sure Starmer will grant the SNP their vote on the condition of their support in Westminster and the recognition he will campaign for Scotland to remain in the Union.

I imagine the LDs will support that but as for the Conservatives, here's the thing - publicly they may stand four-square behind the Union but will they want to be on the same platform as Starmer and Labour and of course we all know IF Scotland leaves the Union, Conservative prospects in RUK will be much improved.

Let me ask you as an activist - if you were able, would you go to Scotland and campaign for the retention of the Union in a second referendum and would you campaign alongside Labour and Lib Dem activists if that were the case?
    Exactly. HYUFD and his like are treating Scotland like an imperial English colony, and driving it away, yet will blame SKS and Labour while reaping the electoral benefit.

It's worth bearing in mind, however, that in most elections Scotland made no difference to the largely ENglish overall result - either it got what it voted for (usually Labour pre 1950s) or not at all (Tories) and the result would have been the same even if there had not been a Great War and Scotland had gone indy in the 1920s.
    PS I can't see older posts below the single page, so don't know if anyone responded to the point that the Tories are ev idently trying to rally SLAB to do their fighting for them. Which woiuld be consistent with the above analysis: if SLAB win for No, great, but if the indyref is lost for No then SKS gets the midden heap flung at him in PMQ forever.
  • Options
    Not the Government's propaganda, the media's propaganda 🙄

The dead tree press gets the bulk of its circulation from commuters. Having commuters back on tin cans is good for business as far as they're concerned. Take with a sack of salt anything the dead tree press is saying.

Have a look at what Hancock and Boris are saying on camera and it doesn't align with these constant dead tree press stories.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Nigelb said:

LadyG said:
    Surely we knew that people returning to schools and universities would lead to some increase in infection rates? Looking at the ONS data R has been about 1 from mid June to 25 August. Without further action it will be above 1 for the rest of the year. Presumably the govt is thinking that local lockdowns are sufficient further action to bring it back towards 1, otherwise some of the things allowed back more recently will need to be stopped again.

It's almost as if we might (fortunately) actually still be pursuing the policy of flattening the curve rather than complete elimination.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

If Trump wins again, Sopel will literally explode
    he won't be alone.
    Well we know you'll be 'exploding'.
    Nah just p8ssing myself laughing.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:
    If only someone on here had forecast this... but unfortunately selfish Brits will take holidays to the Mediterranean and Aegean.
    Why are they selfish? That just seems like a ridiculous accusation given their travel was perfectly legal.
    Sigh.

I was just making a mild gag at @LadyG's expense.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

What rules do the police follow in deciding whether to do that? I don’t know despite watching a lot of crime dramas.
    A little discussed aspect is whether the suspect is distinctive enough.
    If the description is too "average" it can spark for too many sightings. And thus impede the investigation.
    6 foot average build 20s or 30s white male. Brownish straight hair of average length...literally tens of thousands in Birmingham.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

On topic, I think there is too much risk for either candidate to make a screw up to bet confidently one way or another. Plus, a lot depends on viewers’ bias towards their favoured candidate (this probably favours Biden I would imagine)

FPT - @TheScreamingEagles would I get excised if Trump lies? Yes, if he did call dead servicemen suckers then he is being grossly disrespectful. I still think the story is a put up job - my main question would be why this has appeared now when it took place a while back and, given the number of people who don’t like Trump, I don’t see how it would have remained silent for so long.

Because these debates are "virtual", the candidates will have massively more help than in normal times. We can expect both of them to have staffers holding up cue cards for them to read out.

The only possibility of excitement, then, comes if Trump decides that his staff are useless and decides to go completely ad lib.
    Are the debates virtual? It doesnt sound like it from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54003441
    That doesn't say they aren't, and I had certainly got the impression they were...

But I've been known to be completely wrong, and I may be completely wrong here again.
    https://www.debates.org/2020/09/02/cpd-announces-2020-debate-moderators/

How are you defining virtual? I think its pretty clear there is a moderator and the two candidates on the same stage. Not sure if there will be an audience present although the second debate has audience members asking the questions (guess that bit could be virtual).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

Maybe they were hoping said individual returned home not knowing the police were onto him...
    Or maybe they were hoping said individual would be apprehended by the Police and not have vigilantes getting in the way lynching the wrong person?

Or perhaps they're still taking witness statements and don't want to taint the evidence by giving a description before they've collated all the witness statements?

Can be all sorts of operational reasons the Police want to keep information on an active case confidential. Justice must be done in public but police operations don't need to be.
    It does annoy me that the default assumption in all cases is that the police are covering something up in the name of political correctness.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That is not at all what she said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/indyref2-kezia-dugdale-snp-majority-18884296

Yet more fake news from the SNP’s nuttier supporters. They aren’t covering themselves in glory.
    just popularity which is much more powerful. Tick tock.
    Does winning a controversial and bitter fight narrowly on the basis of a pack of lies really ultimately help matters?

I’m looking at Dominic Cummings and Brexit and feeling a bit doubtful.
    There are no lies, we will see what comes after we have independence, no-one can forecast what will happen other than it has to be better to run your own affairs than to have a cheating bunch of lying toerags borrowing money and pretending it was spent on you and trying to make out you are a basket case.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

It does annoy me that the default assumption in all cases is that the police are covering something up in the name of political correctness.
    Well, the Police have probably got themselves to blame for that default assumption.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

Its a balancing act.

Hopefully R can be kept at or below 1. There ought to be less foreign travel again now and if test and trace can identify cases it can break the chains of transmission which reduces R too. Offsetting that is the schools returning etc - but if test and trace continues to catch a higher proportion of cases then that should reduce R so hopefully it balances out.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

https://www.debates.org/2020/09/02/cpd-announces-2020-debate-moderators/

How are you defining virtual? I think its pretty clear there is a moderator and the two candidates on the same stage. Not sure if there will be an audience present although the second debate has audience members asking the questions (guess that bit could be virtual).
    I thought they would not physically be on the same stage, and would "dial in". But, as I said, I could be completely wrong
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That is not at all what she said:

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/indyref2-kezia-dugdale-snp-majority-18884296

Yet more fake news from the SNP’s nuttier supporters. They aren’t covering themselves in glory.
    just popularity which is much more powerful. Tick tock.
    Does winning a controversial and bitter fight narrowly on the basis of a pack of lies really ultimately help matters?

I’m looking at Dominic Cummings and Brexit and feeling a bit doubtful.
    There are no lies, we will see what comes after we have independence, no-one can forecast what will happen other than it has to be better to run your own affairs than to have a cheating bunch of lying toerags borrowing money and pretending it was spent on you and trying to make out you are a basket case.
    What is the difference between extreme optimism and lying?
  • Options
    I'm afraid to say I think this is the start of the second wave. I cannot say I am especially surprised.

I still hope this is just temporary.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Time for humble pie pineapple pizza for @Ydeothur, @TheScreamingEagles and @DavidL regarding Jos Buttler this summer.

Or even one of these...
    https://twitter.com/Planet_F1/status/1170645924961574912
    Foxy has alerted me to something much worse.

https://twitter.com/amylaurajones/status/1301320123626729472

The rest of the that twitter thread is a bit of a culinary horror show.
    What on earth is wrong with pineapple in a chilli? Pineapple works great in chillis and curries.

Then again it works great on pizzas and burgers too, its a very versatile ingredient.
    I started a new Scandi box set yesterday and the opening scene featured pineapple on a pizza. The camera zoomed in on it and it was mentioned in the very first line of dialogue.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/1302664332879237123

Strangely no defence from Muckguire of the free press against the XR loons though on his twitter feed.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

Its a balancing act.

Hopefully R can be kept at or below 1. There ought to be less foreign travel again now and if test and trace can identify cases it can break the chains of transmission which reduces R too. Offsetting that is the schools returning etc - but if test and trace continues to catch a higher proportion of cases then that should reduce R so hopefully it balances out.
    Its very unlikely R stays less than 1 for a prolonged period any more. Why? Because if it was we would start to re-introduce more activities that are currently restricted until it gets back up to 1.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Government is planning ‘SEAT out to help out’ plan with cut-price tickets to get theatres open and fans back in sports grounds

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8703471/Government-planning-SEAT-help-plan-theatres-stadiums-open.html

And we used to laugh at Labour's plans to prop up every single industry that was failing.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

I think that is probably the plan, with the hope that saliva tests and rapid tests from DnaNudge and Nanopore will be in use before there is a need to take any more stringent action than a local lockdown. I know it's an over used phrase but the next phase of testing will be "game changing", testing will be easier, faster, and much more local. And lab based PCR testing is also going to keep expanding.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

"Most" is doing a lot of lifting there.

2019 - England Tory landslide, UK large Tory majority (some argument as to whether to call it a landslide or not, I would)
    2017 - England healthy Tory majority, UK hung Parliament.
    2015 - England Tory landslide, UK unstable Tory majority.
    2010 - England Tory landside, UK hung Parliament.
    2005 - England small Labour majority, UK large Labour majority.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

No this happens all the time, here is the description

Black man aged 20-25 acccording to eye witness- wearing black hoodie with two white stripes down front.

If he was described as a white man, the police would have issued it but senior police commanders are terrified of the Woke people calling them racist for assuming it was a black man.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LadyG said:

Unis are (in the main) not back yet, are they? Although many schools went back at some point last week, I think tomorrow is the big return day. So I suspect they aren't showing up in the figures yet.

It depends what happens next. 2000 cases a day isn't that scary, but it's also about 6 doublings away from the March peak. In the spring, that took about 3 weeks to happen. This time- we have testing and tracing, both rather better than nothing, we know more about the transmission routes that matter, we have significantly reduced contact. That will slow things a lot, but slow exponential growth is still exponential growth.

But also the number of cases is rising, and that's concerning Hatt Manc@ck

So go to work please, but be afraid again. Its safe, but it could soon be unsafe again. YOu are free to live as you wish, but we could soon change that. We're following the science until it changes. We know more,. but we still don;t know much.

And reach out if you become mentally ill from the government's campaign, but still be afraid. Be concerned. Be concernedly sane.
    For the time being- numbers are currently low, but the point about viruses is they go viral- rational fear is unfortunately what the situation calls for.
  • Options

Government is planning ‘SEAT out to help out’ plan with cut-price tickets to get theatres open and fans back in sports grounds

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8703471/Government-planning-SEAT-help-plan-theatres-stadiums-open.html

And we used to laugh at Labour's plans to prop up every single industry that was failing.

Theatres are already open! Hardcore Boris fans should probably avoid Beat the Devil starring Ralph Fiennes.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

Black man aged 20-25 acccording to eye witness- wearing black hoodie with two white stripes down front.

If he was described as a white man, the police would have issued it but senior police commanders are terrified of the Woke people calling them racist for assuming it was a black man.
    Its not really going to help identify the bloke though is it? Presumably he could have changed his clothes, and then all you have is black man 20-25. What use is that to anyone?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I admit that a WTO terms Brexit makes a Yes vote a 50% chance if not more yes. Which is why I would still prefer a FTA with the EU.

However if Boris did go to WTO terms Brexit then granted indyref2 and Yes won with the UK outside the EEA and CU and without even an EU FTA that means customs posts at the Scottish border, tariffs on Scottish exports to England and vice versa, a surge of nationalism on both sides of the border and if Scotland rejoins the EEA no prospect of free trade in GB for years unless there is a rUK EU agreement.

English and Scottish relations would be at their lowest since Bannockburn and Flodden, it is a nightmare and division within these islands I would prefer to avoid

You have, however, frequently stated Boris Johnson will not offer a second independence referendum in Scotland in this Parliament so the issue is moot. Scotland will have to go along with whatever the UK Government get sor doesn't get from the negotiations with the EU.

The question then becomes IF we go to WTO and the economic impact is sub-optimal, how and in what ways will the voters express their displeasure?

Clearly, one option is to hand Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP a thumping majority probably by ousting Tory MSPs and marginalising Unionist representation.

There are only six Scottish Conservative MPs at Westminster so they will be no great loss if ousted in 2024. That won't stop a Conservative majority in the RUK but were that not to be the case, I think we all know what the price of the SNP support for a minority Labour Government would be.
    If the Scots elect by a landslide the SNP on a mandate of having a referendum . . .

. . . and if the response by the Government is basically "f**k off no, you're not having a referendum, we don't care what you vote for" (as you want it to be) . . .

. . . then by the time Starmer is elected it won't matter what he does with regards to Devomax, EEA or anything else, it would all be too little, too late.
    Well if Starmer grants indyref2 that is a risk he will have to take, if even EEA and devomax won't save the Union then at that point it is dead, Labour will have lost the Union and the Tories will have gained a larger majority in the remainder of seats at Westminster
  • Options
    They fail to mention even the French who have gone back to work are mainly only doing so for part of the week and still WFH for at least a day or two
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,468

I'm afraid to say I think this is the start of the second wave. I cannot say I am especially surprised.

Why are you always so pessimistic about everything?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

In reply to Stodge as comments have stopped for me beyond this page

I would go to Scotland to campaign for the retention of the Union but as an English Tory probably only in the Tory areas of the Scottish borders or Aberdeenshire or central Edinburgh where I might be of help in maximising turnout for No in those areas, in the ex Labour central belt seats now held by the SNP I would probably be more of a hindrance than a help and would let Labour activists do it
  • Options

DeClare said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

Its not really going to help identify the bloke though is it? Presumably he could have changed his clothes, and then all you have is black man 20-25. What use is that to anyone?
    Well it's a start, how can people who want to help the police catch the killer provide any help if there was no description at all?

Next they'll stop saying he was male just in case they get accused of 'Gender Stereotyping'
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:
    If only someone had forecast that the wearing of masks in shops and the subsequent reduction in social distancing and increase in the touching of your face would lead to more positive cases.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Why are you always so pessimistic about everything?
    It's in my nature.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If the description is too "average" it can spark for too many sightings. And thus impede the investigation.
    6 foot average build 20s or 30s white male. Brownish straight hair of average length...literally tens of thousands in Birmingham.
    Crimewatch always tried to give a description
  • Options
    If the new wave has arrived, at least we should get some better music.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:
    Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

What's truly mad is that we KNOW r>1 and the caseload will increase - yet we're accelerating this with 'back to the office' campaigns, free meals and tube travel. We don't need a national lockdown but why are we spending money to artificially inflate r. When we tick up to 5000 a day in the next 2 weeks are we all going to feign surprise?

For my part I made lifestyle changes at the beginning of March which others found alarmist but I know for a fact prevented interactions that would have led to me (and my household) contracting the virus. I'm making those changes again now.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited September 2020
    DeClare said:

DeClare said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

Well it's a start, how can people who want to help the police catch the killer provide any help if there was no description at all?

Next they'll stop saying he was male just in case they get accused of 'Gender Stereotyping'
    There is no suggestion of terrorism, gang involvement, that firearms were used or that the stabbings were a hate crime, he said

Thank goodness.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Crimewatch always tried to give a description
    Crimewatch was for when other lines had come up blank.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    alex_ said:

LadyG said:

How many individual infections is that? Given that UK numbers treat multiple positive tests for a single individual as multiple numbers in the figures.

Oh and it's about time the media stopped using these ludicrous "highest since mid-may (or whenever)" phrases. Since everyone knows that there is no serious basis for comparison between the numbers before and the numbers now.
    How about the numbers today and those last week ?

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    Anyone else finding that when reading comments they just cut-off with no way to load any further ones?
  • Options
    Tres said:

Anyone else finding that when reading comments they just cut-off with no way to load any further ones?

Yes same here, I've had that problem before on this site, then it went away and today it's back.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

DeClare said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

Have you considered that the police might not find it advantageous to have a load of people "helping" the police by phoning them up about every black male 20-25 they have seen in Birmingham today? Fortunately most of our police are more enlightened than Constable Savage nowadays.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Yes. But the V version is normal.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

and would let Labour activists do it

Generous of you.
    I believe that there's precedent for SCons adopting a false flag n the form of Lab badges..
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    My current favourite COVID paper...

https://twitter.com/aemonten/status/1302323254745542663
  • Options
    CCTV issued in hunt for Birmingham attack suspect

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-54051431
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:
    If only someone had forecast that the wearing of masks in shops and the subsequent reduction in social distancing and increase in the touching of your face would lead to more positive cases.
    No wearing of masks in Wales and we are leading the charge!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

My police officer friend says that they only do that when they are desperate. Not good.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I admit that a WTO terms Brexit makes a Yes vote a 50% chance if not more yes. Which is why I would still prefer a FTA with the EU.

However if Boris did go to WTO terms Brexit then granted indyref2 and Yes won with the UK outside the EEA and CU and without even an EU FTA that means customs posts at the Scottish border, tariffs on Scottish exports to England and vice versa, a surge of nationalism on both sides of the border and if Scotland rejoins the EEA no prospect of free trade in GB for years unless there is a rUK EU agreement.

English and Scottish relations would be at their lowest since Bannockburn and Flodden, it is a nightmare and division within these islands I would prefer to avoid

You have, however, frequently stated Boris Johnson will not offer a second independence referendum in Scotland in this Parliament so the issue is moot. Scotland will have to go along with whatever the UK Government get sor doesn't get from the negotiations with the EU.

The question then becomes IF we go to WTO and the economic impact is sub-optimal, how and in what ways will the voters express their displeasure?

Clearly, one option is to hand Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP a thumping majority probably by ousting Tory MSPs and marginalising Unionist representation.

There are only six Scottish Conservative MPs at Westminster so they will be no great loss if ousted in 2024. That won't stop a Conservative majority in the RUK but were that not to be the case, I think we all know what the price of the SNP support for a minority Labour Government would be.
    If the Scots elect by a landslide the SNP on a mandate of having a referendum . . .

. . . and if the response by the Government is basically "f**k off no, you're not having a referendum, we don't care what you vote for" (as you want it to be) . . .

. . . then by the time Starmer is elected it won't matter what he does with regards to Devomax, EEA or anything else, it would all be too little, too late.
    Well if Starmer grants indyref2 that is a risk he will have to take, if even EEA and devomax won't save the Union then at that point it is dead, Labour will have lost the Union and the Tories will have gained a larger majority in the remainder of seats at Westminster
    Its not a risk he will have to take, it will be what the Scots have voted for. If the Scots vote for a referendum next year, it will be what they have voted for.

What gives you or any English MP the moral right to deny the Scots the right to make the decision themselves?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    Nigelb said:

alex_ said:

LadyG said:

How many individual infections is that? Given that UK numbers treat multiple positive tests for a single individual as multiple numbers in the figures.

Oh and it's about time the media stopped using these ludicrous "highest since mid-may (or whenever)" phrases. Since everyone knows that there is no serious basis for comparison between the numbers before and the numbers now.
    How about the numbers today and those last week ?

Remember the ONS infection survey is not showing any infection rate increase to August 25th, but rather suggests that we're picking up around 30% of all COVID infections rather than around 5% in March.

That said, the way the maps are showing infections peppered increasingly everywhere over the last week, I'm thinking the dial will soon move upwards on the infection survey as well. Remember, both the surveys and maps are a few days behind, so this would not yet reflect Back to School. Rather, the spread of infections could be being driven increasingly by returning foreign holiday makers (and if most self isolate immediately, they could just correct back down in a couple of weeks, although that's an optimistic thought rather than a confident prediction).
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,468
    Deaths are still falling even after cases have been rising for a long time.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    tlg86 said:

My police officer friend says that they only do that when they are desperate. Not good.
    If that's true, makes the plod early statement appearing to rule out a load of motivations look a bit silly now.

I am always shocked by how crap CCTV footage still is, in this day and age when everybody carries around a camera in their pocket that can do 4k.
  • Options

Though hospitalisation and death rates suggest it is more of a second ripple.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Nigelb said:
    Nigelb said:
    How did this get past peer review?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:
    Sigh.

I was just making a mild gag at @LadyG's expense.
    Ah, okay. Apologies.

Thought it was out of character!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nigelb said:
    Quite right, we must at all times be guided by Ther Science.

The paper is by real scientists BTW headed by Chandra Wickramasinghe (Fred Hoyle sidekick).
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

tlg86 said:

If that's true, makes the plod early statement appearing to rule out a load of motivations look a bit silly now.

I am always shocked by how crap CCTV footage still is, in this day and age when everybody carries around a camera in their pocket that can do 4k.
    Sensor size, CCTV cameras have tiny sensors which means poor high ISO footage.
  • Options

What do you suggest the government does? These are not “failing industries”, they have been caused to fail by state action.
  • Options
    Do you not think it's the responsibility of parents to ensure their children do not go hungry CHB?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Why? Cost? Surely these days all camera sensors are dirt cheap in the grand scheme of things? Just seems crazy to me that such piss poor quality cameras are sold for a job where being able to identify individuals is key, especially when we know the tech exists (rather than back in the day when home camcorders were equally poor).
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

Of course the problem could well be that the people who are getting infected at the moment are those for whom it will just be a "dose of the flu" but then they go and infect their older friends and family in the coming months.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:
    As the Mail suggests, this is likely in response to Boris attacking Starmer's record after being handed his arse at PMQs. Again.
    Does Starmer really want to invite interviewers to question other decisions he made whilst he was DPP?
    Does Johnson want Starmer to raise in Parliament his three sackings for lying and his chat about getting a journalist beaten up? Boris’s CV vs Starmer’s - hmmm?
    The point I'm making is that I don't see much upside to Starmer having been DPP. He got some terrorists locked up - so what? Why didn't he prosecute Jimmy Savile?

https://fullfact.org/online/keir-starmer-prosecute-jimmy-savile/

A spokesperson for the Labour party said they could not comment on individual cases, but insisted Mr Starmer “put victims at the heart of the judicial system” during his time as DPP, including improving support for victims of sexual and domestic violence and introducing a right for victims to challenge CPS decisions.
    The question to be asked is why the police did not investigate Jimmy Savile. It was their failure to do so which meant that there was no evidence on which a prosecution could be brought. As you know, it is not the DPP who determines what investigations are started.

And then there might be awkward questions about which political party knighted Saville and which one gave him a formal role on the Board of Broadmoor Hospital.

The Tories would be ill-advised to go down this route. Starmer may not have been the most brilliant DPP there has ever been but he tried to do his job in compliance with the law. Whereas Johnson’s approach to compliance with the law is, well, a bit more complicated.
    Plenty of blame to go round, but the CPS had the chance to prosecute and they didn't. And it isn't the Tories going down this route, it's Labour. Starmer was DPP at the time this was a live issue. Boris wasn't PM.
    The CPS did not, I understand, have the chance to prosecute because the police never did a proper investigation and come up with the evidence on which a prosecution could be based. The failure was first of all the police’s.
  • Options

Do you not think it's the responsibility of parents to ensure their children do not go hungry CHB?
    Of course a millionaire who gets paid a vast fortune for kicking a ball around would know all about it, wouldn't he?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Why? Cost? Surely these days all camera sensors are dirt cheap in the grand scheme of things? Just seems crazy to me that such piss poor quality cameras are sold for a job where being able to identify individuals is key, especially when we know the tech exists (rather than back in the day when home camcorders were equally poor).
    Cost of the sensor, cost of a better lens and cost of data storage.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MrEd said:

Nigelb said:
    Nigelb said:
    How did this get past peer review?
    Perhaps the reviewers were not experts in the field.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495

Since child neglect is a crime in this country our system would seem to be not on Rashford's side any more than common sense is.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

I have no idea about cost of things. Just interesting that for instance China's CCTV network is able to do things like automatic face recognition, which they couldn't do that without the input being of significant quality (no matter how much data they have on their citizens).
  • Options
    DeClare said:

Of course a millionaire who gets paid a vast fortune for kicking a ball around would know all about it, wouldn't he?
    I know the family and how Marcus started his life.

You really are utterly clueless about what he is like, what he has been through and what he does today to help those who grew up in the same situation he did.

If only a few more millionaires did a fraction of what he has done to help the poor we'd live in a much better world.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

I have no idea about cost of things. Just interesting that for instance China's CCTV network is able to do things like automatic face recognition, which they couldn't do that without the input being of significant quality (no matter how much data they have on their citizens).
    That's why it doesn't work properly and why the Met are absolute ****s for trying to implement it in London.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_xP said:
    Georgia's infection profile come to mind. Their second wave started with a MASSIVE rise in positive cases predominantly in the young, death rates fell even as cases exploded.

Then the second wave deaths started coming and eclipsed the first wave.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    I expect the plan from Westminster is to announce they'll allow Indyref2 subject to negotiation on the question. Curtice talks about a possible referendum question - "I agree that the Scottish Government should enter into negotiations with Westminster to secure Independence" in a video I think TheUnionDivvie posted a while ago. Yes/No question that might not be necessary to get through Westminster. Boris ought to be thinking about cutting that off and taking some control of the question.

https://youtu.be/VJJ8ELlABvI?t=5163

My belief is that Indyref2 will lose, subject to British Unionism getting serious. British Unionism getting serious is a bit of a gamble given the insulting mess that was Better Together. But a friend - an English Remainer - pointed out that there's something poetic about English Remainers voting for Scottish Independence so they can go back to Europe is tragic enough that it might happen.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Of course the problem could well be that the people who are getting infected at the moment are those for whom it will just be a "dose of the flu" but then they go and infect their older friends and family in the coming months.
    Can you still infect people for months? they tell people who have a positive test to lie low for only 14 days.
  • Options

DeClare said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

They have CCTV videos of him.

Believe it or not all black people don't look the same.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

DeClare said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

They have CCTV videos of him.

Believe it or not all black people don't look the same.
    I'm willing to bet that some of noneoftheabove's best friends are black.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    When there is a big outbreak at a uni (and there more than likely will be*), will be interesting to see what the government reaction is then.

* There is no way a load of horny 18-19 year olds going away for the first time are going to stay in their small prescribed bubbles for weeks on end.
  • Options
    I'm starting to think that lockdown is pointless since as soon as you relax it the virus will be back to April 2020 numbers again in a couple of months.

You can't keep locking down forever, so you'll just have a completely wrecked economy and the same situation in a year or two anyway.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

DeClare said:

I know the family and how Marcus started his life.

You really are utterly clueless about what he is like, what he has been through and what he does today to help those who grew up in the same situation he did.

If only a few more millionaires did a fraction of what he has done to help the poor we'd live in a much better world.
    What does he do Kurt?

That’s not a sarcastic question or questioning his devotion. I genuinely do not know what he does on a day to day basis to help out poor children.

The problem a few people have (I don’t) is that they see him weighing in on issues like this and wonder what he does which shows he is willing to put the hard graft in to support a cause rather than post a few tweets.

If people knew about his actions, I suspect they would be more sympathetic.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Its not a risk he will have to take, it will be what the Scots have voted for. If the Scots vote for a referendum next year, it will be what they have voted for.

What gives you or any English MP the moral right to deny the Scots the right to make the decision themselves?
    But if turnout next May is in the region of 50% , it will be clear evidence that the issue is not exciting voters in Scotland in the way the commentariat is inclined to assume. Many will have shown their indifference.
This discussion has been closed.