Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » WH2020: Latest polling from Biden’s three must win states

124»

Comments

• Options

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/we-act-like-a-bunch-of-punks-black-tennessee-lawmaker-shames-rioters-invokes-family-legacy-of-peaceful-protest/

Some people on twitter (Lionel Barber, and Andrew Neil) are lionising this speech by Democrat John Deberry as to what the democrats should have been saying all along.

Alas they weren't. And they still aren't.

Doubtless the modern democrats would call him an uncle Tom. I think he should be their candidate.

There are those who would counter by arguing where has 60 years of "peaceful" protest got Black Americans? There are still too many examples of Police brutality and actions taken by Police against black men which would never be taken against white men.

Yes, in many respects black Americans have made huge strides - economically, many have levels of prosperity and freedom unknown to their grandparents and it is so much better than it was but it is still not as good as it could or should be.

There comes a point when those who advocate a peaceful and dignified response to institutional racism or terror or state oppression have to contend with the unpalatable truth they are not making progress and the siren voices advocating a more violent response get heard.

It's the same whether it is a protest against Police violence in Wisconsin or electoral fraud in Minsk.
    Bluntly, where would war get them? They are outnumbered 5 to 1 by white Americans. Go to war, and they will lose.

Where did peaceful protest get them? Quite a long way, if not as far as they should be.
    There's also the factor of a race war being precisely what white US racists want, its necessity and inevitability is almost an article of religious faith for them.
    There was a report back in the early 2000s (after Timothy McVeigh's execution) about just how many on the American far right think The Turner Diaries would come true, and were prepared to do anything, including false flag attacks to make it happen.

Was genuinely terrifying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turner_Diaries
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

stodge said:

DavidL said:

stodge said:

I think there are a number who would have made credible Prime Ministers.

Since 1970, I'd put up the following:

Denis Healey
    Roy Jenkins
    William Whitelaw
    Geoffrey Howe
    Michael Heseltine
    Ken Clarke (as you say)
    George Osborne
    David Milliband
    Yvette Cooper

That's nine against the field and possibly a couple of others on the fringes.

Not sure I would agree about Yvette Cooper, her husband might have been a better shout. Also, going back a bit, a lot of people, even non Labour people, had a lot of time for Roy Mason.

Of that list I would say that Jenkins and Clarke really stand out.
    I've got to say (and this sounds terrible) I was finding it harder to think of credible candidates the closer I got to today and I didn't want to come over as one of those old fogeys who think all the past politicians are great and all the current ones terrible because it's not that straightforward.

The first six were easy and I think both Osborne and David Milliband would have made fine Prime Ministers.

Of the current crop, I'm genuinely struggling. Rishi Sunak might be on the list but he needs to be tested in the fires of unpopularity and defeat.
    And I hope he is - tested in the fires of unpopularity and defeat.
    There's a good handful that whilst you're not jumping up and down for them they're capable. (Sunak as said) Patel, Hancock, Gove, Raab, Hunt.

For Labour (I'm not a supporter) I can see only three plausible candidates - Cooper, Nandy and Allin-Khan.

You have to be joking , the only half decent one in that list is Hunt , the rest are crap, liars , cheats and comic singers. On Labour you are worse , 3 absolute donkeys I would not trust to run a bath
    Good that you like (or at least don't dislike) Hunt. You may be right, but I'd hope you'd agree that my list has some of the better rather than worse.

Scotland needs a friend or two to make 'escape' work. It would have been different 10 years ago. The most likely and best friends are the English, and that applies always.
    For sure , only madmen would think that England and Scotland would not remain close partners in the event of independence. Would be madness for both nations and not something I would want to see.
    I think that is very naive Malc

Scotland and RUK would become competitor nations and with a near certain Westminster conservative government both company and personal taxation will be much more competitive than Scotland

If independence becomes likely time to invest heavily in Berwick to Carlisle as businesses and employees locate across the border into England
    I think you are being blinkered, why is England not cheaper than Ireland for tax and you are using the same brexit fantasy of "we hold all the cards" , for businesses all moving to Berwick or Carlisle. That is naive, bit like the stampede to there predicted when they increased drink prices , and fantasy that when tax went up there would be stampede south. You guys are delusional.
    Scots are already paying higher taxes and the gap will only increase on independence

There will be a move by business to gain tax advantages and of course Scotland will be facing a uniform EU tax rate which is higher than the UK

You seem to think independence will be a walk in the park and that is simply for the birds
    What uniform EU tax rate would that be?
    The one they will have to impose as part of fiscal union to save the Euro in the medium term?
    Why is a uniform tax rate necessary for a fiscal union? The US doesn't have one.
    They do, actually, although as taxes are varied at a state and local level (including income tax) it looks to the outsider as though they don’t.

Put it this way, they have a uniform minimum tax rate.

I would add though that one reason why Europe keeps struggling to drag its people along with its dogma is that it has a stupid habit of going for as much as it thinks it needs, rather than as much as it can actually command popular support for.
    And to the insider who has to pay different tax rates depending on the state in which they live or operate, it looks like there is uniform rate?
    As I said, there is a set minimum.

So, yes.
    Absurd.
    You know, William, what I like about you is the way that you bring detailed evidence in support of your claims. When somebody points out that you have misunderstood something and you end up being in the wrong, you don’t go the Hyufd and Contrarion route of one-word personal abuse to try and support an indefensible position.
    But I'm right as you admit. Tax rates vary from state to state, ergo there is no uniformity and there is tax competition between states. Whether there's a set minimum is neither here nor there.
    You are saying there is a set minimum, on top of which the states levy their own taxes, and therefore no uniformity.

Are you claiming them that if the EU insisted on minimum federation wide tax rates (as it has already tried to do for corporation tax, of course) that would not be tax harmonisation?

Because if so, I have a bridge for sale.
    There are currently set minimums for VAT. Do you think that means the EU currently has harmonised VAT rates?

Your original point was that a uniform rate was necessary in order to implement a fiscal union and I refuted this. You were wrong and you are now trying to change the subject.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

stodge said:

DavidL said:

stodge said:

Denis Healey
    Roy Jenkins
    William Whitelaw
    Geoffrey Howe
    Michael Heseltine
    Ken Clarke (as you say)
    George Osborne
    David Milliband
    Yvette Cooper

Not sure I would agree about Yvette Cooper, her husband might have been a better shout. Also, going back a bit, a lot of people, even non Labour people, had a lot of time for Roy Mason.

I've got to say (and this sounds terrible) I was finding it harder to think of credible candidates the closer I got to today and I didn't want to come over as one of those old fogeys who think all the past politicians are great and all the current ones terrible because it's not that straightforward.

The first six were easy and I think both Osborne and David Milliband would have made fine Prime Ministers.

Of the current crop, I'm genuinely struggling. Rishi Sunak might be on the list but he needs to be tested in the fires of unpopularity and defeat.
    There's a good handful that whilst you're not jumping up and down for them they're capable. (Sunak as said) Patel, Hancock, Gove, Raab, Hunt.

For Labour (I'm not a supporter) I can see only three plausible candidates - Cooper, Nandy and Allin-Khan.

You have to be joking , the only half decent one in that list is Hunt , the rest are crap, liars , cheats and comic singers. On Labour you are worse , 3 absolute donkeys I would not trust to run a bath
    Good that you like (or at least don't dislike) Hunt. You may be right, but I'd hope you'd agree that my list has some of the better rather than worse.

Scotland needs a friend or two to make 'escape' work. It would have been different 10 years ago. The most likely and best friends are the English, and that applies always.
    For sure , only madmen would think that England and Scotland would not remain close partners in the event of independence. Would be madness for both nations and not something I would want to see.

Scotland and RUK would become competitor nations and with a near certain Westminster conservative government both company and personal taxation will be much more competitive than Scotland

If independence becomes likely time to invest heavily in Berwick to Carlisle as businesses and employees locate across the border into England
    I think you are being blinkered, why is England not cheaper than Ireland for tax and you are using the same brexit fantasy of "we hold all the cards" , for businesses all moving to Berwick or Carlisle. That is naive, bit like the stampede to there predicted when they increased drink prices , and fantasy that when tax went up there would be stampede south. You guys are delusional.
    It's weird, the folk always going on about the deep, family bond of the UK are often the ones promising that England will fcuk an indy Scotland good and propah.
    You have to realise that once Scotland leaves the union it becomes a competitor nation and as such will face competition for the same markets

This has nothing to do with family bonds but is all to do with the reality of independence
    So Scotland is currently unable to compete for business based on national policies? Sounds like something they should correct.
    Scotland already levies higher tax rates but should Scotland leave the union it should not receive the benefits of the union

Reminds one of the EU and Barnier
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    stodge said:

Or the Telegraph's story was media bullshit. I called it here right away, I said that this was bullshit and that I didn't believe it was going to happen but that if it did I would oppose it. And I was right.

The media keep having these stories and they keep being nonsense. The Government have been 100% consistent that it isn't its place to tell businesses or employees where they should work within the law and nor should it ever be.

Just because the likes of Littlejohn want the peasants to go back to work in offices so only he can work from home, doesn't mean the Government could or should go down that path.

Absolutely unsurprising this isn't happening but I wonder who here who attacked the Government for this stupid story the Telegraph put out despite the fact it was immediately denied by Hancock and was never plausible in the first place?

It's the Mail which has been the champion of the "back to your desks" brigade. It has employed people to stand outside Government buildings (never those of private companies) and literally count how many civil servants have arrived for work while praising the relevant Minister to the skies for being "in the office".

This Saturday it turned on its other favourite target - local Government - complaining how few council workers were at their desks.

Boris Johnson works at home and it's hardly a long commute for Rishi Sunak from No.11 to the Treasury yet what works for them apparently isn't allowed for the rest of us.

Once the children are back and the weather closes in WFH will look even more attractive - everyone knows that, even the Government deep down knows that.
    If we can keep them back.

At the moment, the advice coming from the government is so confused and incoherent, and the rules so arbitrary, we’ll be damn lucky if all schools can reopen this week.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    On the current polling it looks like Minnesota will be closer than Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan, so if Trump won Minnesota then those 3 states plus the Hillary states would not be enough and Biden would need Florida too

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1300300894051930112?s=20
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

stodge said:

DavidL said:

stodge said:

Denis Healey
    Roy Jenkins
    William Whitelaw
    Geoffrey Howe
    Michael Heseltine
    Ken Clarke (as you say)
    George Osborne
    David Milliband
    Yvette Cooper

Scots are already paying higher taxes and the gap will only increase on independence

There will be a move by business to gain tax advantages and of course Scotland will be facing a uniform EU tax rate which is higher than the UK

You seem to think independence will be a walk in the park and that is simply for the birds
    The one they will have to impose as part of fiscal union to save the Euro in the medium term?
    Why is a uniform tax rate necessary for a fiscal union? The US doesn't have one.
    They do, actually, although as taxes are varied at a state and local level (including income tax) it looks to the outsider as though they don’t.

I would add though that one reason why Europe keeps struggling to drag its people along with its dogma is that it has a stupid habit of going for as much as it thinks it needs, rather than as much as it can actually command popular support for.
    And to the insider who has to pay different tax rates depending on the state in which they live or operate, it looks like there is uniform rate?

So, yes.
    Absurd.
    You know, William, what I like about you is the way that you bring detailed evidence in support of your claims. When somebody points out that you have misunderstood something and you end up being in the wrong, you don’t go the Hyufd and Contrarion route of one-word personal abuse to try and support an indefensible position.
    But I'm right as you admit. Tax rates vary from state to state, ergo there is no uniformity and there is tax competition between states. Whether there's a set minimum is neither here nor there.
    You are saying there is a set minimum, on top of which the states levy their own taxes, and therefore no uniformity.

Are you claiming them that if the EU insisted on minimum federation wide tax rates (as it has already tried to do for corporation tax, of course) that would not be tax harmonisation?

There are currently set minimums for VAT. Do you think that means the EU currently has harmonised VAT rates?

Your original point was that a uniform rate was necessary in order to implement a fiscal union and I refuted this. You were wrong and you are now trying to change the subject.
    It may not be necessary - although in practice for the EU it probably would be - but the point is the example you used was not valid and your attempts to argue the contrary are now moving rapidly into the Trump territory of alternative facts.

You obviously don’t like this given the increasingly unpleasant personal abuse you are dishing out, but I can’t help that.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    Peaceful protest appears to have done quite a lot for black people in the US. They may too often be on the wrong end of police excesses but are they being wrongly killed in disproportionate numbers to whites? The jury is out. They are the police killings that get the media attention though.

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

stodge said:

DavidL said:

stodge said:

Denis Healey
    Roy Jenkins
    William Whitelaw
    Geoffrey Howe
    Michael Heseltine
    Ken Clarke (as you say)
    George Osborne
    David Milliband
    Yvette Cooper

It's weird, the folk always going on about the deep, family bond of the UK are often the ones promising that England will fcuk an indy Scotland good and propah.
    You have to realise that once Scotland leaves the union it becomes a competitor nation and as such will face competition for the same markets

This has nothing to do with family bonds but is all to do with the reality of independence
    So Scotland is currently unable to compete for business based on national policies? Sounds like something they should correct.
    Scotland already levies higher tax rates but should Scotland leave the union it should not receive the benefits of the union

Reminds one of the EU and Barnier
    I think this is one we won’t persuade by reasoning and evidence Big-G. Best just to leave him in peace.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/we-act-like-a-bunch-of-punks-black-tennessee-lawmaker-shames-rioters-invokes-family-legacy-of-peaceful-protest/

Some people on twitter (Lionel Barber, and Andrew Neil) are lionising this speech by Democrat John Deberry as to what the democrats should have been saying all along.

Doubtless the modern democrats would call him an uncle Tom. I think he should be their candidate.

There are those who would counter by arguing where has 60 years of "peaceful" protest got Black Americans? There are still too many examples of Police brutality and actions taken by Police against black men which would never be taken against white men.

Yes, in many respects black Americans have made huge strides - economically, many have levels of prosperity and freedom unknown to their grandparents and it is so much better than it was but it is still not as good as it could or should be.

There comes a point when those who advocate a peaceful and dignified response to institutional racism or terror or state oppression have to contend with the unpalatable truth they are not making progress and the siren voices advocating a more violent response get heard.

It's the same whether it is a protest against Police violence in Wisconsin or electoral fraud in Minsk.
    Bluntly, where would war get them? They are outnumbered 5 to 1 by white Americans. Go to war, and they will lose.

Where did peaceful protest get them? Quite a long way, if not as far as they should be.
    There's also the factor of a race war being precisely what white US racists want, its necessity and inevitability is almost an article of religious faith for them.
    There was a report back in the early 2000s (after Timothy McVeigh's execution) about just how many on the American far right think The Turner Diaries would come true, and were prepared to do anything, including false flag attacks to make it happen.

Wasn’t there a theory at one point that many of them thought the world would end in a nuclear war between Israel and Iran and were actively trying to make it happen?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

stodge said:

DavidL said:

stodge said:

Denis Healey
    Roy Jenkins
    William Whitelaw
    Geoffrey Howe
    Michael Heseltine
    Ken Clarke (as you say)
    George Osborne
    David Milliband
    Yvette Cooper

So, yes.
    Absurd.

It may not be necessary - although in practice for the EU it probably would be - but the point is the example you used was not valid and your attempts to argue the contrary are now moving rapidly into the Trump territory of alternative facts.

You obviously don’t like this given the increasingly unpleasant personal abuse you are dishing out, but I can’t help that.
    You consider pointing out your mistakes to be personally abusive?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Or the Telegraph's story was media bullshit. I called it here right away, I said that this was bullshit and that I didn't believe it was going to happen but that if it did I would oppose it. And I was right.

The media keep having these stories and they keep being nonsense. The Government have been 100% consistent that it isn't its place to tell businesses or employees where they should work within the law and nor should it ever be.

Just because the likes of Littlejohn want the peasants to go back to work in offices so only he can work from home, doesn't mean the Government could or should go down that path.

Absolutely unsurprising this isn't happening but I wonder who here who attacked the Government for this stupid story the Telegraph put out despite the fact it was immediately denied by Hancock and was never plausible in the first place?

It's the Mail which has been the champion of the "back to your desks" brigade. It has employed people to stand outside Government buildings (never those of private companies) and literally count how many civil servants have arrived for work while praising the relevant Minister to the skies for being "in the office".

This Saturday it turned on its other favourite target - local Government - complaining how few council workers were at their desks.

Boris Johnson works at home and it's hardly a long commute for Rishi Sunak from No.11 to the Treasury yet what works for them apparently isn't allowed for the rest of us.

Once the children are back and the weather closes in WFH will look even more attractive - everyone knows that, even the Government deep down knows that.

At the moment, the advice coming from the government is so confused and incoherent, and the rules so arbitrary, we’ll be damn lucky if all schools can reopen this week.
    The government needs to explain WHY getting back to the office rather than working from home is so important. Saving Pret is a risible answer.
  • Options
    stodge said:

There is a general rule in life to remember.

The Mail are See You Next Tuesdays.

That is all.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Wasn’t there a theory at one point that many of them thought the world would end in a nuclear war between Israel and Iran and were actively trying to make it happen?
    Yup.

There's also those loons who think Israel annexing parts of the West Bank etc will lead to the rapture/second coming.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

I see Cummins is continuing his clearout of Oxbridge humanities graduates from running Whitehall...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53977821

Um...

Well there is a history graduate from Durham (full of those who didn’t get into Oxbridge) advising the PM so he’s made a start ....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

The government needs to explain WHY getting back to the office rather than working from home is so important. Saving Pret is a risible answer.
    Actually a cost of 500 billion was quoted in the weekend papers of continuing WFH

Also Pret as a business is not the issue, the 2,800 lost jobs most certainly are
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

stodge said:

DavidL said:

stodge said:

Denis Healey
    Roy Jenkins
    William Whitelaw
    Geoffrey Howe
    Michael Heseltine
    Ken Clarke (as you say)
    George Osborne
    David Milliband
    Yvette Cooper

So, yes.
    Absurd.

You haven’t pointed out any mistakes. I have pointed out yours, in response to which you have used the words ‘Absurd’ and ‘illogical’, without showing how what I had said was either. So yes, it was pure personal abuse.

Anyway, I have better things to do with my life than bandy words with somebody who can’t bear to admit they’ve made what was, frankly, quite a minor mistake had you been willing to admit to it, and so without apparent irony accuse others of being wrong instead. I wish you a pleasant evening.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    ydoethur said:

I realise you are at the sharp end of this but all I can offer is my anecdotal experience of long queues at both the school outfitters in East Ham this morning.

It looks as though there will be a concerted attempt at a return as early as tomorrow so we'll see.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

I see Cummins is continuing his clearout of Oxbridge humanities graduates from running Whitehall...

Um...

Well there is a history graduate from Durham (full of those who didn’t get into Oxbridge) advising the PM so he’s made a start ....
    I believe Cummings is from Durham but went to Exeter college Oxford to study history
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Um...

If you mean Cummings, he was at Oxford, although he was at Durham Cathedral School.

His tutors reported him as fizzing with imaginative ideas that bordered on the ridiculous, but lacking in understanding of wider issues.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361

stodge said:

You answered your own question. They have made huge strides. Hell, they got a black president.

That guy was president for eight years. Its funny how he never got any criticism for the oppression of black people that you claim has been going on for sixty, including his own tenure. Not a word. Black lives sure didn't matter then.

Why? because BLM is not about Black Lives Mattering whatsoever. Its nothing to do with that. Its a about a mainly white liberal elite not getting their own way for once.

They cannot abide the man in their way, or the voters in their way. They hate and despise them, and want them gone.

At which point black people can go back to rotting away in democrat run administrations like they have in every democrat administration in the last 60 years.
    Sounds like an end to racial injustice really keeps you awake at nights. You're not fooled by the surface of things. You know that Donald Trump, for all his unPC bluntness of speech and manner, has the interests of black Americans at heart in a way that Barack Obama and the Clintons and Joe Biden and the whole rotten liberal establishment who have called the shots for so long do not and never have. Bravo and what's more - hats off.

Or to put it more simply and honestly -

You utter utter braindead wanker.
  • Options
    Do I get accused of a Godwin if I say there’s a certain irony in that tweet coming from a Robert Reich?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

kinabalu said:

stodge said:

DavidL said:

stodge said:

Denis Healey
    Roy Jenkins
    William Whitelaw
    Geoffrey Howe
    Michael Heseltine
    Ken Clarke (as you say)
    George Osborne
    David Milliband
    Yvette Cooper

So, yes.
    Absurd.

You haven’t pointed out any mistakes. I have pointed out yours, in response to which you have used the words ‘Absurd’ and ‘illogical’, without showing how what I had said was either. So yes, it was pure personal abuse.

Anyway, I have better things to do with my life than bandy words with somebody who can’t bear to admit they’ve made what was, frankly, quite a minor mistake had you been willing to admit to it, and so without apparent irony accuse others of being wrong instead. I wish you a pleasant evening.
    This is just gaslighting.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    stodge said:

ydoethur said:

I realise you are at the sharp end of this but all I can offer is my anecdotal experience of long queues at both the school outfitters in East Ham this morning.

It looks as though there will be a concerted attempt at a return as early as tomorrow so we'll see.

I would like to think so. This isn’t doing the children any good. True, I imagine some have enjoyed the long holiday where they absent-mindedly forgot to turn in any work, but it’s at a dreadful price in their education.

Truthfully, I am less worried about getting them back than keeping them back. The government’s advice on partial closures or bubbles doesn’t make any sense. We will still have staff wandering from classroom to classroom, so at the first case of Covid we will end up so short of staff the site will be shut. It’s inevitable.

But to hear government advice you would think the staff are immune.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Spain reporting 23,000 new cases of covid since Friday and with Portugal also over the UK quarantine threshold surely this must be a big concern

Are we heading to quarantine all travel into the UK

I am no expert on covid numbers but it does look very worrying

We should have done it months ago. Particularly from those places where the disease is endemic.

But even if we do ‘quarantine’ arrivals, unless there is a sudden surge of intelligence on the part of HMG it won’t be quarantine, it will be a polite request to stay in your house for two weeks unless there’s an emergency, such as you need more chocolate or you fancy a breath of fresh air, or your eyes need testing.
    Which is still a quarantine. This country isn't an authoritarian dictatorship - the law is a polite request first and foremost and people generally abide by said requests.
    No, it’s not a quarantine. It’s an advisory.

Quarantine is where people are kept strictly separate from everyone else until it’s clear they’re not infectious.
    Quarantine is a period of isolation. If people are told to stay at home and they do so then they are quarantined.

quarantine
    /ˈkwɒrəntiːn/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a state, period, or place of isolation in which people or animals that have arrived from elsewhere or been exposed to infectious or contagious disease are placed.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Actually a cost of 500 billion was quoted in the weekend papers of continuing WFH

Also Pret as a business is not the issue, the 2,800 lost jobs most certainly are
    WFH is here to stay until there's a vaccine.

Very few offices are compatible with anything close to a fullish return to the office and social distancing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Yes, perhaps not quite as you depict:

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/polling/trump-cuts-bidens-lead-just-4-percentage-points-post-convention-poll

All depends on likelihood to vote - using a looser filter Biden leads 50-42.

No meaningful crosstabs of course as this is basically a Rasmussen poll.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

That's the Evangelicals. They sincerely believe in Armageddon. A not insignificant number of GOP have been voted in on a personal policy platform of bringing about Armageddon.

This is not a joke.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Spain reporting 23,000 new cases of covid since Friday and with Portugal also over the UK quarantine threshold surely this must be a big concern

We should have done it months ago. Particularly from those places where the disease is endemic.

But even if we do ‘quarantine’ arrivals, unless there is a sudden surge of intelligence on the part of HMG it won’t be quarantine, it will be a polite request to stay in your house for two weeks unless there’s an emergency, such as you need more chocolate or you fancy a breath of fresh air, or your eyes need testing.
    Which is still a quarantine. This country isn't an authoritarian dictatorship - the law is a polite request first and foremost and people generally abide by said requests.

Quarantine is where people are kept strictly separate from everyone else until it’s clear they’re not infectious.
    Quarantine is a period of isolation. If people are told to stay at home and they do so then they are quarantined.

quarantine
    /ˈkwɒrəntiːn/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a state, period, or place of isolation in which people or animals that have arrived from elsewhere or been exposed to infectious or contagious disease are placed.
    But if it’s not being monitored, how do we know they’re doing it?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

That's the Evangelicals. They sincerely believe in Armageddon. A not insignificant number of GOP have been voted in on a personal policy platform of bringing about Armageddon.

This is not a joke.
    Well, no. I seem to remember a TV programme on it, but I can’t remember the details.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

No. They're not.

If the jobs aren't there, the jobs aren't there. Its the free market. Shame when it happens but it happens.

And since those jobs are essentially unskilled minimum wage jobs - they should not be our top concern either.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Very few offices are compatible with anything close to a fullish return to the office and social distancing.
    No schools are - but we’re expected to be back from tomorrow.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

According to the latest Government figures England has only 70 more Covid patients in hospital than Scotland. If things keep going the way they are then within a week England will have less.

On the 28th August 83 Covid positive patients were admitted to hospital in Wales. According to the same figures Wales had 41 Covid positive patients in hospital on the 28th August.

It's basically inexplicable at this point. Unless Scotland are being beyond cautious about releasing elderly back into care homes I have no explanation for the difference.

It seems like only you and me are interested in this.
    As England has ten times the population of Scotland you would have thought someone in the news may have mentioned it. As the for Wales admission figures I am amazed that the person publishing these stats is not questioning them.
    I've Messaged a newspaper editor about it and he said they would look into it so maybe there will be a question or two at the Scottish press briefing soon.
    My guess would be that Scotland are massively exaggerating their figures to continue the culture of fear.
    Surely it is England out of line? Wales, Scotland, France, Spain etc etc have higher admission rates.

Perhaps England is undertreating?
    The England hospital numbers for the weekend are clearly too low and I suspect because all the regional data has not yet been received.

There have been a few errors on regional data previously.

But the Scottish hospital numbers look wrong as do the Wales hospital admissions.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

quarantine
    /ˈkwɒrəntiːn/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    But if it’s not being monitored, how do we know they’re doing it?
    The same as how the law always works in this country: we put faith that our fellow man is doing the right thing unless or until we have reason to believe otherwise.

We do not live in an authoritarian dictatorship where people must be monitored to ensure they are. Tell them to do so, then let them do so.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

I do not disagree but a gradual return is needed, otherwise the cost is unimaginable in lost businesses and jobs, hence my comment on Prets 2,800 job loses
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    ydoethur said:

Do I get accused of a Godwin if I say there’s a certain irony in that tweet coming from a Robert Reich?
    :lol:
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Instead of trying to interfere in the arrangements employers and employees make between themselves, the government should be thinking of other uses to which unused office buildings in town centres could be put: light manufacturing, maybe. Workshops for quality craftsmen; learning and training centres for older people or those retraining etc.

This is a time for imagination and thinking about the goods and services of the future and how city centres might be configured to provide them. Not bullying people into returning to what was before out of some misplaced nostalgia for over-priced cafes or, more realistically, fear for property portfolios.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    Charles said:

SKS is objectively smart, nice to have a smart leader somewhere

All the main party leaders in this country are now objectively smart.
    Boris Johnson is not smart, lol
    Oh really?

On what "objective" criteria do you judge him to be objectively not smart?
    Well he only went to Balliol for one thing
    I don't really understand calling clever people 'smart'. The word 'smart' has a useful existing meaning. It's very American - reminds me of children who win spelling bees and can list all the states but actually aren't particularly bright.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,934
    IanB2 said:

As we feel summer slipping away...

https://vimeo.com/316263399

Ooh - instantly recogniseable. The MIlitary Road, Freshwater Bay and Tennyson Down. I've never seen Wight, West or otherwise, in winter.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

I do not disagree but a gradual return is needed, otherwise the cost is unimaginable in lost businesses and jobs, hence my comment on Prets 2,800 job loses
    A gradual return isn't needed unless you want a lot more dead people.

Like No Deal, a few job losses here and there will be useful for the greater good.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

MattW said:

eek said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

eek said:

Regarding the end of summer and the end of financial support. Unfortunately the pox hasn't gone away, is already surging back and that's before we send the school super spreaders to work. The government needs to try and at least throttle the vast sums being spent supporting the economy, but its seems clear enough that the result in doing so will be a surge in unemployment.

For a right wing free marketeer that shouldn't provide a concern and didn't in the 80s when economic reform and modernisation required the mass unemployment of working people across the midlands and north. These people didn't vote Tory and didn't matter. But now? One of the successes of the Tories has been the demonisation of state aid. If you are taking support from the government you must be some kind of scrounger, shirker, failure. Universal Credit, Food Banks, Bedroom Taxes - these are all things that happen to other people and besides its exaggerated.

Until now. The people being dumped onto UC are increasingly the people told UC was for dossers who live it large on your tax dollars. They are finding the opposite is true, and the "is that all I can get" conversations with the likes of Citizens Advice I am assured are eye-opening. As the middle class increasingly find themselves dumped onto a system that treats them like dirt and provides farthings, whilst at the same time the government issues increasingly patronising messages featuring someone like Ester McVeigh pretenting to drive off to her "staycation" I cannot see how the Tories avoid the political calamity this will bring.

And just as the pain from their people gets the most acute, we exit from transition with no deal. The borders gum shut, we get mass shortages and what there is costs money that their people don't have. Whilst IDS pops up cheering the glorious future we have now started. No wonder Shagger is looking to step off the stage.

In 2018 to 2019 the government is forecast to spend £222 billion on the social security system in the UK, £2 billion lower in real terms than in 2017 to 2018.

£119 billion is forecast to be within the welfare cap, and £103 billion outside the welfare cap. In 2017 to 2018 £122 billion of expenditure was within the welfare cap, and £102 billion was outside.

Perhaps you'd like to tell us how much more the government should be spending on social security payments.

And where the extra money should come from.
    A lot of that none welfare cap money is housing benefit paid to private landlords.

If HMRC and the government wish to really cut costs I can save them billions there and yes some people landlords would scream but investment conditions and change and investments will go up and down.
    HB for Private Rentals is not normally outside the benefit cap, according to the CAB:

The Benefit Cap is a limit to the total amount of money you can get from benefits. The Benefit Cap will only apply if you get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Your benefits will be reduced if you get more than the limit that applies for your circumstances - this means you'll get less Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/check-if-the-benefit-cap-applies-to-you/

According to the OBR, the total spending outside the welfare cap on Housing Benefit is around £ 2bn a year, which covers both Private and Public Rented sectors.
    https://obr.uk/forecasts-in-depth/tax-by-tax-spend-by-spend/welfare-spending-housing-benefit/

That is not a "Lot" out of £102bn, or £600 billion for that matter.

Isn't it time we move on from these silly (and sometimes fake) kneejerk arguments targeted on the Private Rental Sector?

It says we spend £5000 on average to 4.6m people. If we halved that, to £2500 average, what would happen to the houses and flats the landlords own? Surely they would just rent them out for approx £2500 less to broadly the same people, or sell them to other landlords (who again have to accept the lower rent) or to the people renting.

What else can they do with the properties that would make them more money?

Indirectly it would also bring down other private rents for those not on housing benefit, who in turn would spend more into the wider economy more efficiently than they do through rent.
    Several problems with that.

You are assuming that there is no other demand for new rentals. There is. They would rent the flat to anyone who would pay more than £2500 below market rent, and perhaps get the benefit of not having to deal with Councils. Rents are currently not going down; check any industry reports.

Currently demand is at near record highs.

If you try to cut £2500 you would also make many properties lossmaking. If the LLs bale out, then they go for sale to other LLs or people who are *not* HB renters - who are required by the regulations to have little or know capital, and therefore cannot buy houses but will continue to look for rentals. Either way, it is inimical to the interest of HB renters.

There is also the need to justify that just for tenants in the PRS under Equality Law? Unless you are proposing halving Social Sector HB payments too. What would that do to arrears, the subsidies that would have to be paid to Housing Associations etc to keep them solvent? Social Sector rents are already being marginally reduced, and they are all squealing.
    It's a problem but if the treasury wants to save money Housing Benefit changes will generate more than anything else would.

And yes there would be squeals but I have a plan for dealing with those...
    No it won't.

Housing Benefit which pays all or part of the rents of 4.6 million of the least wealthy households people costs £22 billion a year, of which believe approx 60%+ is for Social Sector and 40%- is for Private Sector. Roughly.

At most you could save a small fraction of that. And note that downward pressure has been in place for many years already, such as a 5 year freeze in cash terms since 2015.

Meanwhile the CGT Relief on main dwellings - which is money for wealthier sections of society - costs more than £25bn a year, and removing that entirely would generate many times more whilst only costing them at most perhaps 15-20% of the profit made on selling their houses.

I would be interested to hear your plan and why it should be targeted at the housing of poorer people.

I think it is quite clear where it should be targeted.
    The issue with CGT on principal residences is it makes it hard to move

Let’s say you buy a flat for £100k with a £90k mortgage. Your future partner has also done the same. After a few years you get married and want to buy a small house for your growing family

Small houses are £350k in your area. Nothing grand but nice with a bit of garden. Luckily your flats have each gone up to £150k, and you’ve each had a pay rise so you can borrow the extra £50k. Alls good.

Except that now you have to pay £28k in tax. So you don’t move but cram into too small a flat. And you don’t buy new furniture or repaint the house. And the estate agent goes bust but we don’t care about them

(Moral: you need rollover relief otherwise you will kill ability for most people to move to better properties)
    The number one issue is the inflated housing market - further inflated by myriad government decisions since 2010 (easy money, direct support for first time buyers, stamp duty holidays, complete openness to foreign criminalsinvestors, doing nothing to stop developers sitting on undeveloped land) - and the principal change is that we need to move toward a more realistic balance between house prices and earnings.

The first stage is to replace Stamp Duty with an equivalent annual property tax, with provision to delay payment until the property is sold for those on low incomes. Then, progressively, the tax rate is edged up, which should lead to an equivalent slow decline in property prices and a rapid realisation from those sitting on empty prime UK property as ‘investment’ that there are better places to put their money.
    People will bid up house prices as high as they can afford. Fox Jr is buying a house near identical to the one I bought 28 years ago. Four times the price, but at current interest rates more affordable than my house with 12% mortgage rates.

Want lower house prices? Then stick up interest rates. Just don't expect any thanks!
    Simply defeatist.

It’s going to be a long time before interest rates return to what most of a sane persuasion would in times gone by have regarded as ‘normal’.

Meanwhile there is plenty that government could do (but won’t) to address the extreme imbalances of the UK housing market.
    No, just Market forces. People will usually spend about 40% of income on housing. Low interest rates means higher prices are serviceable, so the market floats in that direction. Normalising interest rates (perhaps going up 0.75% per year for 5 years would be good for a lot of the economy too.
    Also the increased prevalence of women working post marriage - the price of a house is 10x the average income (R4 this am). That means it is only 5x a dual average income - equivalent to the 4.5x combined salary plus 10% deposit
  • Options

How has that figure been derived?

Of course, job losses at Pret are regrettable but you are presumably a capitalist and must recognise jobs are lost even in the best of times. Capitalism is brutal but adversity and change beget opportunity and it's fair to say jobs are also being created especially in the home delivery sector and in other areas dedicated to the new working culture.

The Government should recognise, empower and support the socio-economic and cultural changes this is bringing about - the revitalisation of dormitory commuter towns, the re-invigoration if local clubs and societies as people have time and energy to get involved and perhaps the re-invigoration of local democracy as well as people feel more part of their local communities.

As it is, Boris Johnson seems more concerned about his and the party's friends in the commercial property industry.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Instead of trying to interfere in the arrangements employers and employees make between themselves, the government should be thinking of other uses to which unused office buildings in town centres could be put: light manufacturing, maybe. Workshops for quality craftsmen; learning and training centres for older people or those retraining etc.

This is a time for imagination and thinking about the goods and services of the future and how city centres might be configured to provide them. Not bullying people into returning to what was before out of some misplaced nostalgia for over-priced cafes or, more realistically, fear for property portfolios.
    They did something along those lines in Llantrisant - turned an old factory into an arts and craft centre. Lots of little workshops for small artisans who wanted a place to work without being disturbed. And a very interesting place it is to visit as well.

(Yes, I know ’Llantrisant’ and ‘interesting’ wouldn’t traditionally be together unless the word ‘not’ is in between, but it was really good.)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

I would like to think so. This isn’t doing the children any good. True, I imagine some have enjoyed the long holiday where they absent-mindedly forgot to turn in any work, but it’s at a dreadful price in their education.

Truthfully, I am less worried about getting them back than keeping them back. The government’s advice on partial closures or bubbles doesn’t make any sense. We will still have staff wandering from classroom to classroom, so at the first case of Covid we will end up so short of staff the site will be shut. It’s inevitable.

Up here in Northumberland the bubbling has fallen at the first hurdle. That over 50% travel by school (Not public) bus.
    Which village, not which year group bubble determines which bus.
    No masks or social distancing from what I can make out.
    I was making this very point on here back in May that it ought to be the number one issue to work out.
    Neither the council, nor government appears to have even noticed.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Like No Deal, a few job losses here and there will be useful for the greater good.
    You really are not suggesting I want more dead surely

And why bring in brexit
  • Options

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Yes, at most it will be 2/3 days a week in the office, the rest WFH
  • Options
    Am I in the wrong to say I couldn't care less if people lose property values - commercial or residential? That's the market for you, all investments can be lost.
  • Options
    Its probably safer than the favelas and not only for covid risks.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited August 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    It does not surprise me. I went looking at comments on this subject at a whole load of sites, the idea was universally panned. There are a LOT of people who have taken a liking to not commuting, and those people are simply not going to accept that they need to be in their offices 5 days a week even once COVID-19 is gone.

That news that Capita may close a third of their offices points the way. A smart government would be thinking "how do we make that work?" not "how do we turn the clock back."
  • Options

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

In city centres yes, in commuter market towns and villages where commuters who would have bought sandwiches in London are now buying lunch locally maybe not
  • Options
    Ivanka vs Kamala in 2024?

• Options
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

Up here in Northumberland the bubbling has fallen at the first hurdle. That over 50% travel by school (Not public) bus.
    I was making this very point on here back in May that it ought to be the number one issue to work out.
    The school I went to has the same problem. 45% of 1300 pupils coming in by bus. Moreover, at the end of a 1500 yard single road that’s so congested at the best of times they can’t hope to lay on more buses.

It might work in cities with strictly local intakes. In rural areas, it’s just not going to be feasible.

Private schools will have this problem too, given the areas many cover (Cokethorpe near Witney takes pupils from Reading, for example).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

You really are not suggesting I want more dead surely

And why bring in brexit
    I'm pointing out the government you regularly defend is worried about job losses just not the ones that are likely to flow from a sustained no deal Brexit.

If they were consistent they'd worry about both.
  • Options
    glw said:

Scott_xP said:
    It does not surprise me. I went looking at comments on this subject at a whole load of sites, the idea was universally panned. There are a LOT of people who have taken a liking to not commuting, and those people are simply not going to accept that they need to be in their offices 5 days a week even once COVID-19 is gone.

That news that Capita may close a third of their offices points the way. A smart government would be thinking "how do we make that work?" not "how do we turn the clock back."
    Some of those people aren't going to have the choice of whether to work at home or at the office.

They will be unemployed before this is finished.

At which point working in an office might suddenly become attractive again.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Am I in the wrong to say I couldn't care less if people lose property values - commercial or residential? That's the market for you, all investments can be lost.

Will it cause another banking crash?

If so, yes you are in the wrong.

If not, possibly not, but it wouldn’t be easy or pleasant. For example, how do homeowners in negative equity move? With some difficulty, I would suggest. That would make the labour market less flexible, for a start. Buy to let landlords with mortgages (that doesn’t include me) would have to sell, so there would be a dramatic reduction in rented accommodation. That would be fine and dandy if the tenants could now afford to buy. If they couldn’t, then that leaves them with a huge problem known as homelessness.
  • Options

QTWAIN.

People always bang on about relatives of old Presidential candidates returning next time, it never happens. Dubya and Hillary followed George Bush Snr and Bill as candidates but not immediately afterwards . . . and they're the exception not the rule.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

I agree 100%.

However, if the Government did want to get people back into offices, it would be better served by gently encouraging them - if possibly even incentivising them. That's why 'Eat out to help out' has worked, where as a campaign just demanding that people eat out to save the restaurant sector would have met near universal derision/anger.

Personally I'd focus the campaign around taking one day a week at the office to 'keep in touch' face to face with colleagues, for the professional benefits, mental health benefits, etc. Like a Baker day in education. That is a lot more likely to succeed, and 1 day in 5 ain't bad.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

In city centres yes, in commuter market towns and villages where commuters who would have bought sandwiches in London are now buying lunch locally maybe not
    I look forward to see the anaylsis to be honest

Are we really saying the big city centres including London can wither on the vine and be replaced by local thriving businesses

If so I will be delighted
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Technically could even be Donald Trump vs Kamala if Trump lost and decided to run again and won the 2024 GOP nomination and Biden decided to only do one term and not run for re election.

In 1888 for instance President Grover Cleveland lost the election to Benjamin Harrison but ran again in 1892 and beat Harrison to return to the Oval Office and complete his second term
  • Options

Some of those people aren't going to have the choice of whether to work at home or at the office.

Please explain why you think these jobs are going to be lost.

This kind of scaremongering was put up in the Telegraph and quickly discounted.

Sensible organisations are going to realise the cost of its real estate has been a millstone carried for years. The work is being done and whether you believe it or not, many people are more productive at home.

Yes.home working isn't for everyone and I wouldn't impose it on anyone anymore than I would force people back to offices.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Will it cause another banking crash?

If so, yes you are in the wrong.

If not, possibly not, but it wouldn’t be easy or pleasant. For example, how do homeowners in negative equity move? With some difficulty, I would suggest. That would make the labour market less flexible, for a start. Buy to let landlords with mortgages (that doesn’t include me) would have to sell, so there would be a dramatic reduction in rented accommodation. That would be fine and dandy if the tenants could now afford to buy. If they couldn’t, then that leaves them with a huge problem known as homelessness.
    I couldn't care less even if it causes another bank crash. Cheaper property would be a good thing for those who need it. Plus the banks are supposed to have separated their portfolios now to prevent eg depositors from being at risk from a crash - though I'll eat my hat if that works without needing a bailout. But if a bailout is needed so be it - it shouldn't be going to people who have bought up expensive property speculating that the price of property only goes one way though.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

It would be interesting to know what the Dept for Business Development was doing.

If anything.

Likewise what local councils are themselves doing.

There should be scope for multiple different experiments in urban use to see which work best.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

And the other thing is, is that it's about more than just Pret.

Saying getting back to the office is about saving Pret is not risible if its clear that by Pret what we really mean here is not one business, but an entire slice of the pre-pandemic UK economy.

That doesn't mean going back to what we used to do is automatically the right thing, but let's not try to pretend its really simple because no one really gives a crap about Pret, it's much bigger than that.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,797
    stodge said:

Nigelb said:

In the last half century ?
    Ken Clarke, by a country mile.

Agree 1 million per cent.

Denis Healey
    Roy Jenkins
    William Whitelaw
    Geoffrey Howe
    Michael Heseltine
    Ken Clarke (as you say)
    George Osborne
    David Milliband
    Yvette Cooper

I rated Ed Milliband. More than his brother actually. He can allow himself a wry smile that this Conservative government have adopted his policies.

Agree with the consensus for Ken Clarke, however.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

glw said:

Scott_xP said:

Sure there are bad employers and failing businesses, but we are already seeing some businesses saying things have changed and that they will not go back to working the old ways. I expect that businesses that can adapt will do a lot better than those that can't or won't.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Are we really saying the big city centres including London can wither on the vine and be replaced by local thriving businesses

Well, apart from London surely most of them have? Most offices these days seem to be in enterprise parks not city centres. Easier to get to and cheaper to rent. Meanwhile, city centres are ghosts of chain stores, takeaways and cheap flats.

OK, maybe my experience is coloured by Gloucester and Stoke. But city centres have been decaying for a long time.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,832

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

According to the latest Government figures England has only 70 more Covid patients in hospital than Scotland. If things keep going the way they are then within a week England will have less.

On the 28th August 83 Covid positive patients were admitted to hospital in Wales. According to the same figures Wales had 41 Covid positive patients in hospital on the 28th August.

It's basically inexplicable at this point. Unless Scotland are being beyond cautious about releasing elderly back into care homes I have no explanation for the difference.

As England has ten times the population of Scotland you would have thought someone in the news may have mentioned it. As the for Wales admission figures I am amazed that the person publishing these stats is not questioning them.
    I've Messaged a newspaper editor about it and he said they would look into it so maybe there will be a question or two at the Scottish press briefing soon.
    My guess would be that Scotland are massively exaggerating their figures to continue the culture of fear.
    Surely it is England out of line? Wales, Scotland, France, Spain etc etc have higher admission rates.

The England hospital numbers for the weekend are clearly too low and I suspect because all the regional data has not yet been received.

But the Scottish hospital numbers look wrong as do the Wales hospital admissions.
    I suspect that most of the difference is in data collection. The anomalous figures seem to be the English ones though.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

QTWAIN.

People always bang on about relatives of old Presidential candidates returning next time, it never happens. Dubya and Hillary followed George Bush Snr and Bill as candidates but not immediately afterwards . . . and they're the exception not the rule.
    Bobby Kennedy would also have likely won the Democratic nomination in 1968 had he not been shot
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Good old Tories

If the funds were released and no PPE was delivered then you would have a point (unless it was reclaimed).

If, as I suspect, there was a requirement for performance before payment then there is no issue
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

ydoethur said:

The school I went to has the same problem. 45% of 1300 pupils coming in by bus. Moreover, at the end of a 1500 yard single road that’s so congested at the best of times they can’t hope to lay on more buses.

It might work in cities with strictly local intakes. In rural areas, it’s just not going to be feasible.

Private schools will have this problem too, given the areas many cover (Cokethorpe near Witney takes pupils from Reading, for example).
    2 200 km square with 3 Secondary Schools in Tynedale.
    Youngest starts Sixth Form Wednesday. No change to the school transport procedures AFAICMO.
    55 kids on a 55 seat coach for 30 mins each way was last year's set up for our village.
    We shall find out. Northumberland County Council is in shambolic turmoil for other reasons just now.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Many of us would. Though I wouldn't go as far to say "wither on the vine" but a correction is no bad thing. London is overpopulated and overcrowded - it lacks the transport or the homes to have everyone be able to live and work comfortably at a reasonable price. Many Londoners here have complained about transport and housing repeatedly.

If London becomes a city for Londoners and for tourists rather than for everyone to try to descend upon just because its there then that would be good for Londoners and good for everyone else too.
  • Options

It sounds like you're one of those people who thinks a mortgage is to be paid off and the property owned outright.

Rather than the property is to be used as a cash machine and the mortgage increased with every valuation increase.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Hopefully we will at least get a more equal balance
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Simon Case the 41 year old new head of the civil service. Bit of a steep promotion don't you think?

I fear a yes man.

The alternative was apparently Christopher Wormald, who was one of the more useless and incompetent civil servants at the DfE in the Gove era, in a field notable for the quality of the competition.

It isn’t a good look when there’s such a choice. It suggests either they want a cipher or there’s no talent left in the CS.

Or both, of course.
    I got to know Richard Wilson (Blair/browns equivalent) well when my father hired him to navigate our family’s machinations. He was unbelievably smart, charming, very sophisticated, a high EQ... and crushingly naive
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

QTWAIN.

Bobby Kennedy would also have likely won the Democratic nomination in 1968 had he not been shot
    We are in the 20s now not the 60s.

So you're saying there wasn't but possibly may have been another related candidacy six decades ago?

Kennedy was again the exception not the rule.

Overwhelming majority of elections neither party is fronted by someone directly related to a previous President.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

I suspect that most of the difference is in data collection. The anomalous figures seem to be the English ones though.
    Given how few hospital deaths there are now in England the data looks reasonable.

Whereas the Scottish numbers looks way excessive for the number of deaths in recent weeks.
  • Options
    We need to see house prices fall and no Tory Government is going to allow that
  • Options
    edited August 2020

HYUFD said:

QTWAIN.

So you're saying there wasn't but possibly may have been another related candidacy six decades ago?

Overwhelming majority of elections neither party is fronted by someone directly related to a previous President.
    Romney's father also ran for the GOP nomination in 1968 and FDR was a distant cousin of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Options

Check your history of British politics! Circa 1990s :smiley:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

I’m not sure it was “many” but there was a strain of thought that the Second Coming of Christ was a good thing. However St John the Mushroom Man wrote that the second coming was to be preceded by Armageddon.

So, bright sparks trust they were, they tried to precipitate Armageddon.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

If he is an only child you’d have Mummy Reich, Daddy Reich and the Third...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

HYUFD said:

QTWAIN.

Well, duh. Who on earth ever said otherwise?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

If he is an only child you’d have Mummy Reich, Daddy Reich and the Third...
    And if he has offspring born in the 1980s and 90s they'll be little thousand year Reichs.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

"Boris Johnson takes part in 'most informative' sexual harassment training session for MPs"
    https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-takes-part-in-most-informative-sexual-harassment-training-session-for-mps-12060511
    "The session began with a film about a male employer who began behaving inappropriately towards a young female employee..."

You do know all 650 MPs have to take part in the same sessions
    Yeah, but not as a case study.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827

Ken Clarke
    Ed Balls
    John Smith
    Roy Jenkins
    Douglas Hurd
    Chris Patten

And funnily enough Eden at the right time and without his crippling illness.

He was a broken reed by 1955.

The Conservative offering of politicians for the leadership in the 1970s was a depressing one, which might explain why Thatcher won.

Eden was for a time a fine Foreign Secretary; with his profound ignorance of domestic affairs he was always likely to be a poor PM, irrespective of his illness, or the Suez disaster.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735
    edited September 2020
    Very interesting little item on the Today programme about an NHS programme to drive Type II diabetes into remission by what is essentially a diet and weight loss training programme.

Starting small with 5000 people after some years of research.

Nothing on the BBC website afaics, so there's this quite reasonable article in the Mail:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8683375/ROY-TAYLOR-patients-felt-10-years-younger-losing-two-stone-writes-professor.html

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,735

The steam has been quite successfully taken out of house price rises during the coalition and subsequent governments.

A success that needs to be acknowledged.
  • Options
    Just seen this - very good - and of course the draw the next day was even more entertaining.... not ideal.
This discussion has been closed.