Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whatever the WH2020 polls might be saying punters continue to

124»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

"Discussions have also been held over scrapping the various reliefs applied to CGT and replacing them with indexation allowances, meaning only gains in excess of inflation would be taxed."

Telegraph.

Isn't that what we used to have?

That’s a subtle way of hitting entrepreneur’s relief
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,743
    Charles said:

"Discussions have also been held over scrapping the various reliefs applied to CGT and replacing them with indexation allowances, meaning only gains in excess of inflation would be taxed."

Telegraph.

Is that similar to executive relief?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

A bunch of cultists.

https://twitter.com/NinaDSchick/status/1299800259204395009?s=20

Not quite the numbers that the Kennedy nutcase was predicting.

'Some 38,000 people took part in a march that split into two main groups.'

The way QAnon has morphed in "Wellness lifestyle" groups (I. E yoga mums) is amazing.

Hard core 1st gen QAnoners are basically denouncing all these in person physical marches. They see QAnon as an online only movement.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

How fast ?
    The partisan divide between intention to vote in person and by mail is enormous. Which will have consequences on election night.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bidens-supporters-appear-way-more-likely-to-vote-by-mail-than-trumps-that-could-make-for-a-weird-election-night/
    ... Let’s do a quick-and-dirty exercise to show what I mean. In the NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll overall, Biden led Trump by 9 percentage points among registered voters. But Biden led Trump by 63 points (!) among voters who planned to vote by mail, and Trump led Biden by 33 points among voters who planned to vote in person on Election Day. If this kind of partisan split occurred in every state, Biden would win the mail vote in all 50 states — from Alabama to Wyoming — and Trump would win the Election Day vote in all 50.

To be clear, I don’t expect Trump to be leading in all 50 states when the first results are reported on Nov. 3. For one thing, the partisan split between Election Day and mail votes will surely vary from state to state; I don’t literally think Trump will win the Election Day vote in every state, nor Biden the mail vote in every one. For another, Election Day votes aren’t the only results we’ll get on election night: We’ll also get early in-person votes in states that have early voting, which should make things look better for Biden. (Biden led Trump by 12 points among early in-person voters in the NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.) And some mail votes will probably be counted by the time we go to bed as well.

Nevertheless, the gap between the Election Day and mail vote could be huge this year, which should serve as a stark reminder not to overreact to election-night returns...
    There will be huge over reactions. The in-play opportunities are going to dwarf EuroRef night.

Remember in 2016 you could still back Clinton to win the popular vote and New Hampshire the day after the election when both were clearly in the bag for her.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I laid Sunak for next Leader a while ago.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Telegraph.

No - people who sell a company that they own a significant percentage of pay 10% capital gains vs 45%. (I think - it’s never applied to me so haven’t dug into the details)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,098
    Can’t be tax rises or austerity. @HYUFD has already ruled both of them out.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,442
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Telegraph.

No - people who sell a company that they own a significant percentage of pay 10% capital gains vs 45%. (I think - it’s never applied to me so haven’t dug into the details)
    iirc there is an upper ceiling though.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Telegraph.

But only on the first £5m or so. If you make a £20m gain, only the first£5m is at 10%
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029
    Charles said:

Telegraph.

It’s already been cut from £10m lifetime allowance to £1m
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Telegraph.

But only on the first £5m or so. If you make a £20m gain, only the first£5m is at 10%
    Sorry, £10m
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,743
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Telegraph.

Charles, only you could give a serious response to my flippant comment.

Thank you.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,024
    Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

The way QAnon has morphed in "Wellness lifestyle" groups (I. E yoga mums) is amazing.

Hard core 1st gen QAnoners are basically denouncing all these in person physical marches. They see QAnon as an online only movement.
    Splitters!
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!
    Can someone explain what on earth that previous comment means? I've never heard of QAnon?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    edited August 2020

Well the PM has clearly ruled out tax rises it seems on those headlines, whatever the Treasury has proposed, so that is out or very limited in scope.

In terms of austerity we know already Cummings wants some defence cuts and to switch to cyber warfare but beyond that Tory MPs will block anything else significant, especially the newly elected ones in the Red Wall who will vote down any cuts to the NHS, education, the police, an end to the triple lock etc and without them there is no Tory majority in the Commons
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,024
    edited August 2020
    Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!
    Can someone explain what on earth that previous comment means? I've never heard of QAnon?
    Google is your friend. QAnon are conspiracy theorists with extra nuts.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,842

Charles said:

Charles said:

Telegraph.

Charles, only you could give a serious response to my flippant comment.

Thank you.
    Good of you to own up, though, rather than have Charles ask around about this executive relief.

Though I wouldn’t be entirely surprised were it to appear in the next budget.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,293
    Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!
    Google QAnon Trump, then despair.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!
    Qanon is the new Tea Party.

There will be many openly QAnon Congressional candidates in 2022
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!

People believe in Frazzledrip.

This is the QAnon story about how there is a video of Hillary Clinton and Huma Abedin where they rape a child, and then cut its face off and wear it. (That is, Hillary Clinton wears a child's face she has just cut from a mutilated dead body.)

It's utterly ridiculous and absurd.

But people believe it. Lots of people believe it.

Why?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,576
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!

This is the QAnon story about how there is a video of Hillary Clinton and Huma Abedin where they rape a child, and then cut its face off and wear it. (That is, Hillary Clinton wears a child's face she has just cut from a mutilated dead body.)

Why?
    I did not want to hear that. Gross.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Yet his opponent is a near 80 year old pensioner not a 40 year old vibrant figure of youth
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    edited August 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Rather shows just how stupid we all are. Whatever the merits or not of specific proposals, even the prospect of paying a little more in this difficult situation is all about being a 'tax raid', and even if the idea is supported the language used foreshadows a negative public reaction.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,293
    Alistair said:

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!

Successful viruses keep mutating..
  • Options

I say let the 2070s handle this problem for us.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!

Why?
    Weirdly, some things are so outlandish people seem to think they are too ridiculous to not be true.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!

Why?
    There are 2 main reasons why people believe in Conspiracy theories - power or fear.

The power group believe in the conspiracy theory as knowing "the truth" makes them 'cleverer' than everyone else. Their confidence in their esoteric knowledge elevates them above the herd of idiots.

The fear group believe a conspiracy theory as it applies order and reason to an otherwise chaotic and fearful situation. Even if the conspiracy theory it self should induce fear the fact that there is a concrete reason for things happening makes the believer feel relieved.

QAnon draws on both types. A lot of people who would otherwise be totally disgusted and disappointed with Trump find the QAnon belief allows them to exscuse Trump's behaviour (this would be the fear group). The power group is more obvious, QAnon is an utterly baroque and purposely obfuscated theory. Piecing it together is like participating in an Arg and unlocking secrets (I. E. Making up new shit) gives you qudos with the group.
  • Options

If there is one word I can't stand it is 'Influencers'.
    I'm merely baffled as to why the word needed to be created for its context.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    The Tories are so bloody idiotic about polls right now. My gods, they have a big majority which they won despite being in office for 9 years, and they lose their heads the first time Labour actually close the gap after the win? Do they think they have a god given expectation to always lead in polls?

Grow a spine for heaven's sake.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,462
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!

Why?
    My cod psychology:

1st world shit life syndrome,

They've watched their families comfy 'lower middle class' lifestyle disappear through the last 40 years of low wage stagnation. Trapped in lower America's cycle of low value service sector employment and declining living standards.

Their angry, want to be part of something and the Q philosophy lets them think that everything is soon to change.

This podcast is brilliant, interviews a number of Q and ex-Q believers.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/04/podcasts/rabbit-hole-qanon-youtube-tiktok-virus.html
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,020
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Tories are so bloody idiotic about polls right now. My gods, they have a big majority which they won despite being in office for 9 years, and they lose their heads the first time Labour actually close the gap after the win? Do they think they have a god given expectation to always lead in polls?

The Tories were 25% behind Labour in the spring of 1990. Two years later they won the election by 8%.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1987-1992
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I am Tory. I have been posting here for some time that we don't need to worry about polls until 2024

The Wokerista on here have been getting excited but they will be disappointed as ever 😊
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I am Tory. I have been posting here for some time that we don't need to worry about polls until 2024

The Wokerista on here have been getting excited but they will be disappointed as ever 😊
    I was referring to Tory MPs, mostly. Many of them, even very senior ones, seem remarkably easy to rattle.
  • Options

Unpopular decisions are coming

That's generally what Governments need to do.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The Tories were 25% behind Labour in the spring of 1990. Two years later they won the election by 8%.

Only after changing their leader and dumping the poll tax
  • Options

Unpopular decisions are coming

That's generally what Governments need to do.
    And certainly should be an easy time for the opposition - they can support the need to do 'something' and so present as not being obstructive, but take issue with anything that is proposed, or if not the issue then it's proposed implementation, particularly as there will be Tory rebels performing the Corbyn role of attacking their own side, and because there will bound to be errors made (which are in any case inevitable to a degree, but the gov has had plenty already).

Be interesting to see if the opposition is a united front, or if in their opposition different parties focus on different aspects and proposals, or even if some of them will propose alternatives or just stick to general objections.

Also be interesting to see which proposals being floated are disavowed by Boris first.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,576

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!

Why?
    My cod psychology:

They've watched their families comfy 'lower middle class' lifestyle disappear through the last 40 years of low wage stagnation. Trapped in lower America's cycle of low value service sector employment and declining living standards.

Their angry, want to be part of something and the Q philosophy lets them think that everything is soon to change.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/04/podcasts/rabbit-hole-qanon-youtube-tiktok-virus.html
    I find this, and @Alistair's post above rather silly. There's a far simpler reason why people believe in a conspiracy theory - they hear it, it seems plausible, it seems to fit the facts as they see them, they believe it. Before we start locking away these poor benighted fools, we should remember that a significant section of PB puts most of the ills of the modern world down to plotting by Vladimir Putin. Those are also conspiracy theories. You could say 'ah, but those ones are true.' but that rings a bit hollow doesn't it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

If the Tories end up 25% behind at some point between now and 2024 I'm sure they will consider changing their leader and dumping some major policy too. But parity should not cause any of them to piss their pants either.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!

Why?
    My cod psychology:

I find this, and @Alistair's post above rather silly. There's a far simpler reason why people believe in a conspiracy theory - they hear it, it seems plausible, it seems to fit the facts as they see them, they believe it. Before we start locking away these poor benighted fools, we should remember that a significant section of PB puts most of the ills of the modern world down to plotting by Vladimir Putin. Those are also conspiracy theories. You could say 'ah, but those ones are true.' but that rings a bit hollow doesn't it?
    Your words are in respect of conspiracies generally, but this was about a specific conspiracy theory which, from the description in the post, apparently accuses Hillary Clinton of participation in child rape, murder and mutilation. I don't think it silly to question why so many people might find that particular accusation 'plausible'.

Some conspiracy theories are indeed plausible. Most are far from plausible, but it is easy to see how lots of people would be willing to see it as plausible. But that one? Even the investigators of Operation Midland would find it hard to accept.

So that lots of people believe in conspiracies does not mean that bafflement at the rise of a particular one is silly.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

If the schools don't go back smoothly next week BoZo is in big trouble.

TeeHee.

If the schools can’t go back smoothly then I think we are all in trouble.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

If the Tories end up 25% behind at some point between now and 2024 I'm sure they will consider changing their leader and dumping some major policy too. But parity should not cause any of them to piss their pants either.
    I can't think of a full Parliament ever where the Tories have been in office and not gone behind.

Quite frankly its remarkable its not happened yet - Thatcher, Cameron, Major all fell behind much quicker.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,991

Scott_xP said:

If the schools don't go back smoothly next week BoZo is in big trouble.

TeeHee.

If the schools can’t go back smoothly then I think we are all in trouble.
    It's almost as if Scott wants it to fail.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8677567/Top-Tory-Sir-Robbie-Gibb-launches-TV-rival-woke-wet-BBC.html

A former Downing Street adviser is behind a secret new project to set up an ‘impartial’ television news channel to rival the crisis-hit BBC, The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

Sir Robbie Gibb – who was a senior BBC executive before becoming Theresa May’s director of communications at No 10 – is spearheading a drive to raise funds for GB News.

The 24-hour station, due to launch early next year, aims to capitalise on growing discontent over the BBC, with sources describing it as an antidote to the ‘woke, wet’ Corporation.
  • Options
    "Canada’s new Conservative leader
    Will Erin O’Toole be able to unite Canada’s fragmented Conservative party?

Michael Coren"

https://thecritic.co.uk/canadas-new-conservative-leader/
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!

Why?
    My cod psychology:

I think your analysis is pretty good.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,950
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Rather shows just how stupid we all are. Whatever the merits or not of specific proposals, even the prospect of paying a little more in this difficult situation is all about being a 'tax raid', and even if the idea is supported the language used foreshadows a negative public reaction.
    The problem is that the internet is killing the mainstream media, and they're reacting by going down the clickbait route of over-dramatising everything.

This sort of language, as you say, is designed to be divisive rather than constructive, and is most unhelpful to a sensible discussion about how we move forward after the shock of a global pandemic.

Gets loads of clicks though, so that's alright.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,495
    edited August 2020
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    The problem is that the internet is killing the mainstream media, and they're reacting by going down the clickbait route of over-dramatising everything.

This sort of language, as you say, is designed to be divisive rather than constructive, and is most unhelpful to a sensible discussion about how we move forward after the shock of a global pandemic.

Gets loads of clicks though, so that's alright.
    Over-dramatisation started well before the internet. Cf. the tabloid press in the UK, Australia or Germany, or indeed pretty much any media outlet in the US.

new thread

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,495

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Alistair said:

A bunch of cultists.

Splitters!

Why?
    My cod psychology:

Modern day abduction by aliens.
This discussion has been closed.