Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whatever the WH2020 polls might be saying punters continue to

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Whatever the WH2020 polls might be saying punters continue to bet heavily on Trump

We are just starting to see serious analysis of the Trump campaign following his party’s virtual convention this week. The New York Times had this key observation of the Trump campaign approach:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited August 2020
    The RNC was masterful in its brazenness, attacking the Democrats from both left and right with unparalleled viciousness and addressing key voting blocs directly. The DNC by contrast was bland and anaemic, conveying only that Joe Biden is a nice guy, which everyone knew already.

I still don't think Trump will win this, but they're really giving it some welly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    edited August 2020

The RNC was masterful in its brazenness, attacking the Democrats from both left and right with unparalleled viciousness and addressing key voting blocs directly. The DNC was bland and anaemic, conveying only that Joe Biden is a nice guy, which everyone knew already.

The John Oliver bit on the DNC seemed angry it was not more 'progressive' and dismissive of attempts to appeal to moderate Republicans, suggesting agreeing with the view it was bland.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,379
    ONS infection rate survey -

This means that despite the case numbers (from Pillar 1 and 2 testing) rising, the actual infection rate, in the community, seems stable.

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

This means that despite the case numbers (from Pillar 1 and 2 testing) rising, the actual infection rate, in the community, seems stable.

In line with the stable UK infection rate. 1,100 today. Too many but we appear to be in a much better position currently than many other countries.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    2 months ago I was convinced Trump was finished. Not so sure now.
    Either way I think it will be a shitshow. Disputed and lawyer and protesting mobs heavy.
    Just the way Trump wants it.
    Would be ironic if he genuinely won fairly, but had so undermined trust in the process that he was seen as illegitimate in the eyes of the World.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited August 2020
    Ave_it said:

In line with the stable UK infection rate. 1,100 today. Too many but we appear to be in a much better position currently than many other countries.
    In the absence of a substantial, obvious spike in cases, I've stopped worrying about the case totals (although the local numbers are interesting, for tracking where the apparent hot spots are.) I'm watching the hospital numbers for any sign of things going pear-shaped. Nothing ominous so far; long may it remain so.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Sigh....

That is the reporting date number....
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Sigh....

That was the number I saw on gov.uk today and is the headline number. Down from yesterday and the day before.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,611
    O/T

Interesting article about journalism.

"Given my time again, I wouldn’t choose journalism
    The new generation of hacks are weak actors reliant on weak institutions
    BY SARAH DITUM"

https://unherd.com/2020/08/given-my-time-again-i-wouldnt-choose-journalism/
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Sigh....

That was the number I saw on gov.uk today and is the headline number. Down from yesterday and the day before.
    The reported data number is useless for trends on a daily basis. The data by specimen data is better, but that still needs a 10 moving average to make it useful for trends.
  • Options
    England cases - scaled to 100K population

• Options
    England cases - absolute -

• Options
    Based on the figures for the first three weeks of August, the daily death rate from Covid-19 in the UK is now 10.

For purposes of comparison, recent data indicate that an average of 5 people die each day in road traffic accidents, 18 people per day commit suicide, 31 die every day from breast cancer, and 32 from prostate cancer.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,190

The RNC was masterful in its brazenness, attacking the Democrats from both left and right with unparalleled viciousness and addressing key voting blocs directly. The DNC by contrast was bland and anaemic, conveying only that Joe Biden is a nice guy, which everyone knew already.

I still don't think Trump will win this, but they're really giving it some welly.

Very interesting couple of weeks coming up. The betting move anticipates a slew of polls showing Biden's lead slashed. If that happens the money on Trump at better than evens will look smart. If it doesn't the Trump price will collapse.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    England cases - regional summary

The interesting thing here is that the ONS reckons we are seeing 2200 infections per day. We are approaching one half of those being detected....

This and the data below are specimen date

• Options

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Sigh....

The reported data number is useless for trends on a daily basis. The data by specimen data is better, but that still needs a 10 moving average to make it useful for trends.
    Ok I am sure you know more about it than me and I do like your analysis on here but I like to keep it simple! 😊
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    England hospital numbers -

Headline - 6
    Last 7 days - 5
    Yesterday - 0

• Options

Hello - love your data sets, as always. Would it possible to add a numerical rank to the left of the place names so that it's easier to track the changing position of a particular locale from one table to another?
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

Seems to be bubbling up in Northants.

Here in Calderdale you can see how it's spread out from Halifax to the other areas that Craig 'scum' Whittaker was claiming was fine. So what do they do but they release extra measures in areas here where cases are rising. Absolutely crazy.
  • Options

Thanks, as always, for the visualisations.

The imbuggerance clearly hasn't gone away, but overall things continue to look mildly encouraging. Not much sign of significant concentrations of cases now outside the East Lancs-Greater Manchester-West Yorks Metropolitan Plague Zone, and my limited understanding (courtesy of reading the wise words of Professor Heneghan, this time writing for the Graun,) is that even there the cases aren't presently translating into significant pressure on the hospitals. To quote,

The watchlist figure of 50 per 100,000, therefore, does not consider the impact of the disease. Only nine people are currently in hospital with Covid-19 across the Pennine Trust hospitals that cover Oldham, Rochdale (also on the watchlist) and North Manchester. Increased testing leads to more detection of the virus, but it has not necessarily translated into infections that cause symptomatic disease. Many of those who have tested positive would be classed as weak positives – their risk of transmitting the disease further is low.
  • Options
    And the PHE 28 day cut off numbers -

• Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    edited August 2020
    Ave_it said:

I was trying to work out if we were significantly lagged compared to, say, France.
    A bit, maybe, is the only conclusion I have.

we are testing more than them but, clearly, the difference in cases is not proportional.
  • Options

Hello - love your data sets, as always. Would it possible to add a numerical rank to the left of the place names so that it's easier to track the changing position of a particular locale from one table to another?
    can you add the top of the pops theme tune as well?
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

Seems to be bubbling up in Northants.

Here in Calderdale you can see how it's spread out from Halifax to the other areas that Craig 'scum' Whittaker was claiming was fine. So what do they do but they release extra measures in areas here where cases are rising. Absolutely crazy.
    As far as Northamptonshire is concerned, Northampton itself has been spewing out a steady stream of cases for a while, but that's not escalated into a Leicester-type problem and the recent data suggests it might be starting to peter out. I think there may also have been an incident related to a specific factory there, but I wouldn't swear to it.

A spike has appeared in Corby but it is an unusually small lower tier local authority, which makes the case rate per 100,000 look more alarming than it is. I spotted that myself a couple of days ago and tried to see if I could identify a cause in the local rag, but it was talking about a peak of all of twelve cases, which has freak chance event written all over it - although I have also read a suggestion from public health officials that modest case increases in both Corby and Kettering may be down to youngsters partying.

Wellingborough looks a great deal better and cases are negligible in the remaining three districts.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    I'm worried that there is no objective evidence for this change in the odds. It's a market I don't feel comfortable in until the very end.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Deleted
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

The imbuggerance clearly hasn't gone away, but overall things continue to look mildly encouraging. Not much sign of significant concentrations of cases now outside the East Lancs-Greater Manchester-West Yorks Metropolitan Plague Zone, and my limited understanding (courtesy of reading the wise words of Professor Heneghan, this time writing for the Graun,) is that even there the cases aren't presently translating into significant pressure on the hospitals. To quote,

The watchlist figure of 50 per 100,000, therefore, does not consider the impact of the disease. Only nine people are currently in hospital with Covid-19 across the Pennine Trust hospitals that cover Oldham, Rochdale (also on the watchlist) and North Manchester. Increased testing leads to more detection of the virus, but it has not necessarily translated into infections that cause symptomatic disease. Many of those who have tested positive would be classed as weak positives – their risk of transmitting the disease further is low.
    It's mostly the young who are not getting picked up early. The weak positives are likely tested late in the infection cycle. Basically, TTI is too slow, but we knew that,
  • Options

The interesting thing here is that the ONS reckons we are seeing 2200 infections per day. We are approaching one half of those being detected....

I wonder to what degree people with symptoms still aren't presenting themselves for test - i.e. how many of the remaining undetected cases are asymptomatic?
  • Options

can you add the top of the pops theme tune as well?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNzIKoAy2pk
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Very interesting couple of weeks coming up. The betting move anticipates a slew of polls showing Biden's lead slashed. If that happens the money on Trump at better than evens will look smart. If it doesn't the Trump price will collapse.
    I think that's right. There's been a perceptible shift in mood across various camps in the US but without all that much confirmatory data to back it up. The arrival of such either way should give the market a decisive push.

Still, I can't help but wonder if Trump might not be a bit of a lucky idiot - his incompetence / malice led to an early second wave that made him look dead and buried a month ago. But what if that enabled him to get the second wave over with, as it were, so that things at least look much better at the time of the election, and Trump benefits from the perceived improvement?
  • Options

Ave_it said:

I was trying to work out if we were significantly lagged compared to, say, France.

we are testing more than them but, clearly, the difference in cases is not proportional.
    The important thing is the ONS survey

Which tells us that infection across the country is stable, at a low level.

The case numbers at https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ and elsewhere are those we have *found*.

Interesting that we are finding something like 1/3 to 1/2 of *all* infections.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,962
    All this in the rabid unionist Herald as well:
    Scottish independence: New Panelbase poll for Business for Scotland puts support behind Yes
    Scots believe Scottish independence will be good for the country's economy, according to a new poll.

Some 55% of voters surveyed in a new Panelbase poll said a Yes vote would be good for the economy, representing a 10% lead in confidence in the independent economy of Scotland.
    By Elle Duffy @ElleDuffy_ Multimedia Journalist
    The poll also found that 70% of Scots have more confidence in the Scottish Government to manage the economy compared with Westminster
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Report from Daily Mail of visit to Briton flogged in Singapore last week.

'Days after being flogged for drugs offences at the notorious Changi prison in Singapore, former British public schoolboy Ye Ming Yuen lies face down in his cell, in excruciating pain.

The open wounds from 24 strokes of a 4ft bamboo cane to his naked buttocks are so severe, they still ooze blood.

All he has is a towel to stem the flow. Sitting is impossible.

So horrific are his injuries that when a paralegal saw them this week, she almost fainted.

Unable to sleep, Yuen prays to God to calm his fears of long-term physical damage.

Bowel problems have plagued him since the caning.

Today we can reveal the brutal effects of the ‘judicial corporal punishment’ meted out to convicts in Singapore with an eye-witness account from Yuen’s human rights lawyer and his own words from prison.
    London-born former public schoolboy Ye Ming Yuen, 31, was flogged naked in Singapore for drugs offences

‘The first thing Ming said when he came into the prison visiting room was “see this” and pulled his shorts down at the back and it just looked horrendous,’ says Ravi Madasamy, better known as M Ravi or Mr Ravi, who is contemplating legal action under international human rights law.

‘All over his buttocks were multiple marks and deep lacerations. It was so shocking my female paralegal who was with me almost fainted.

'The wounds were so deep with blood, flesh and layers of the skin exposed. He didn’t have any bandages, just a towel to put over the buttocks. He couldn’t sit for too long so he was standing up.

‘It was the first time I had seen raw injuries like this and it left me deeply affected, thinking, “How can this be allowed to happen in a civilised country?”

‘Usually my clients come to me years later, complaining of long-term injuries, so I only see the scars, so this was really shocking, but Ming wants the world to know the brutal reality of this barbaric punishment.’

This month the Mail exclusively revealed that Yuen had been stripped and flogged over a frame just one week after a last-ditch appeal for clemency failed.

Today, the 31-year-old is at the centre of a diplomatic row between Britain and Singapore over the caning, condemned by human rights campaigners as ‘inhuman, degrading and indecent'.
  • Options
    ukpaul said:

It's mostly the young who are not getting picked up early. The weak positives are likely tested late in the infection cycle. Basically, TTI is too slow, but we knew that,
    The good professor's next sentence:

Politicians’ urge to intervene is a sign that the test-and-trace programme has failed.

My own pet theory is that the things that are keeping Covid-19 under control in the UK are, primarily, high levels of WFH (and the consequent abandonment of public transport,) and the effectiveness of the public messaging during the height of lockdown (which has both terrified and guilt-tripped the elderly and vulnerable so much that many of them are effectively still shielding.) Fortunately neither of these things requires Dido Harding to be an effective administrator.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,253
    What are the odds that trump will claim victory on the night? I honestly think it's about 100% probability.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    EPG said:

I'm worried that there is no objective evidence for this change in the odds. It's a market I don't feel comfortable in until the very end.

I think the odds are changing because of the civil disturbances. The Democrats are weak on law and order, and therefore if it becomes a law and order election, they suffer. (I'd also note that the location of the latest issues, in Wisconsin, is a particular problem for the Democrats, as that was one of the two or three states which seemed easiest for them to flip.)

The question is whether the disturbances continue and grow, or whether they quieten down again.

I suspect the second is more likely, but it only takes one or two incidents to change this.
  • Options

ukpaul said:

The good professor's next sentence:

Politicians’ urge to intervene is a sign that the test-and-trace programme has failed.

My own pet theory is that the things that are keeping Covid-19 under control in the UK are, primarily, high levels of WFH (and the consequent abandonment of public transport,) and the effectiveness of the public messaging during the height of lockdown (which has both terrified and guilt-tripped the elderly and vulnerable so much that many of them are effectively still shielding.) Fortunately neither of these things requires Dido Harding to be an effective administrator.
    The other way of looking at it is that we are finding a larger and larger proportion of the actual number of cases, which (see the ONS population surveys) is stable at the moment.

• Options

I wonder to what degree people with symptoms still aren't presenting themselves for test - i.e. how many of the remaining undetected cases are asymptomatic?
    Probably nearly all of them.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Levitt: "at some point we need to make curves like this for flu and then people will say, oh I didn't realise influenza was so terrible, and I didn't get upset about it, so therefore why am I getting so upset about something that is as lethal [the coronavirus]"

https://unherd.com/thepost/prof-michael-levitt-heres-what-i-got-wrong/
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scottish independence: New Panelbase poll for Business for Scotland puts support behind Yes
    Scots believe Scottish independence will be good for the country's economy, according to a new poll.

Some 55% of voters surveyed in a new Panelbase poll said a Yes vote would be good for the economy, representing a 10% lead in confidence in the independent economy of Scotland.
    The poll also found that 70% of Scots have more confidence in the Scottish Government to manage the economy compared with Westminster

If those data are (a) accurate and, crucially, (b) the Unionists can't shift the balance of opinion, it's over.

Just like Brexit, the economy is the trump card of the defenders of the status quo. If enough of the electorate either doesn't believe them, or does but thinks that sovereignty or other issues are more important, then they're beaten.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    kamski said:

What are the odds that trump will claim victory on the night? I honestly think it's about 100% probability.

It depends.

The networks will be calling the states based on vote counts and exit polls.

If Fox News is calling Florida and Arizona and Michigan and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin for Biden, then I don't think he has any choice but to concede.

On the other hand, if the networks (and particularly Fox News) are not calling results and they're "too close to call", then I think you are absolutely correct.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

The case numbers at https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/ and elsewhere are those we have *found*.

Maybe we have reached the natural level and this is how it will be going forward? Seems likely we will have to live with this virus for a very long time, like flu and common cold.

Very few are dying or in hospital.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    kamski said:

Where did this idea come from that Trump will claim victory when he hasn't won? Last time it was practically the other way round. Hillary Clinton bounced the networks into declaring a Trump win with a phone call concession.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

I think the odds are changing because of the civil disturbances. The Democrats are weak on law and order, and therefore if it becomes a law and order election, they suffer. (I'd also note that the location of the latest issues, in Wisconsin, is a particular problem for the Democrats, as that was one of the two or three states which seemed easiest for them to flip.)

The question is whether the disturbances continue and grow, or whether they quieten down again.

I suspect the second is more likely, but it only takes one or two incidents to change this.
    So, the fate of the United States may depend on nearly ten more weeks passing without any further incidents of trigger happy policemen being filmed executing unarmed black people in cold blood?

My recently announced confidence in a Biden victory may have to be revised...
  • Options

malcolmg said:

If those data are (a) accurate and, crucially, (b) the Unionists can't shift the balance of opinion, it's over.

Just like Brexit, the economy is the trump card of the defenders of the status quo. If enough of the electorate either doesn't believe them, or does but thinks that sovereignty or other issues are more important, then they're beaten.
    For sure Boris and assorted Tories sneaking in to Scotland in darkened cars , hiding in buildings talking only to a few Tories will do them no favours. We can only hope they send Gove up more often, he is a vote winner for independence.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Maybe we have reached the natural level and this is how it will be going forward? Seems likely we will have to live with this virus for a very long time, like flu and common cold.

Living with the disease is going to require substantial permanent suppression, either through annual vaccinations that are at least partially effective, or much better treatments than we currently have, or both.

The Government and a large chunk of the population are still very frightened of the disease, as will be confirmed if and when the first signs of a continental-style spike appear and there's an orgy of panic-flapping (likely to include masks ordered everywhere, press speculation about a second national lockdown, and possibly the closure of pubs.) Regardless of how much of the reaction is down to logic and how much due to blind, hysterical terror, we're not going to be able to re-establish a liveable, sustainable economy and society until a large enough majority of the populace is sufficiently reassured that it's safe to go about their business.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kamski said:

Where did this idea come from that Trump will claim victory when he hasn't won? Last time it was practically the other way round. Hillary Clinton bounced the networks into declaring a Trump win with a phone call concession.
    I think the risk is that Trump wins the "on the day" vote, and declares victory on that basis. And then, as postal votes come in over the coming days, biden ends up ahead... But Trump won't walk back his victory.

I don't actually think this will happen. But it is the risk.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,999
    malcolmg said:

Yet again those figures are only excluding don't knows and if Scots think voting for independence from the UK after a WTO terms Brexit leading to customs posts on the Scottish border and tariffs on exports to England, where 70% of Scottish exports go, would be good for Scotland's economy they are deluded.

They might be willing to still vote for independence but it will not help their economy at all
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    justin124 said:

'Days after being flogged for drugs offences at the notorious Changi prison in Singapore, former British public schoolboy Ye Ming Yuen lies face down in his cell, in excruciating pain.

The open wounds from 24 strokes of a 4ft bamboo cane to his naked buttocks are so severe, they still ooze blood.

So horrific are his injuries that when a paralegal saw them this week, she almost fainted.

Unable to sleep, Yuen prays to God to calm his fears of long-term physical damage.

Today we can reveal the brutal effects of the ‘judicial corporal punishment’ meted out to convicts in Singapore with an eye-witness account from Yuen’s human rights lawyer and his own words from prison.
    London-born former public schoolboy Ye Ming Yuen, 31, was flogged naked in Singapore for drugs offences

‘The first thing Ming said when he came into the prison visiting room was “see this” and pulled his shorts down at the back and it just looked horrendous,’ says Ravi Madasamy, better known as M Ravi or Mr Ravi, who is contemplating legal action under international human rights law.

‘All over his buttocks were multiple marks and deep lacerations. It was so shocking my female paralegal who was with me almost fainted.

'The wounds were so deep with blood, flesh and layers of the skin exposed. He didn’t have any bandages, just a towel to put over the buttocks. He couldn’t sit for too long so he was standing up.

‘It was the first time I had seen raw injuries like this and it left me deeply affected, thinking, “How can this be allowed to happen in a civilised country?”

‘Usually my clients come to me years later, complaining of long-term injuries, so I only see the scars, so this was really shocking, but Ming wants the world to know the brutal reality of this barbaric punishment.’

This month the Mail exclusively revealed that Yuen had been stripped and flogged over a frame just one week after a last-ditch appeal for clemency failed.

Today, the 31-year-old is at the centre of a diplomatic row between Britain and Singapore over the caning, condemned by human rights campaigners as ‘inhuman, degrading and indecent'.

And?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

I understand, but the disturbances have been going on for two months.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Depends on the state, in Wisconsin which has a below average African American population that might be true, in Michigan which has an above average African American population if it drives up black turnout that helps Biden-Harris
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Interesting article about journalism.

"Given my time again, I wouldn’t choose journalism
    The new generation of hacks are weak actors reliant on weak institutions
    BY SARAH DITUM"

https://unherd.com/2020/08/given-my-time-again-i-wouldnt-choose-journalism/

Instead she praises a school friend who went into PR, as if we did not have enough in public relations already
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

Levitt: "at some point we need to make curves like this for flu and then people will say, oh I didn't realise influenza was so terrible, and I didn't get upset about it, so therefore why am I getting so upset about something that is as lethal [the coronavirus]"

https://unherd.com/thepost/prof-michael-levitt-heres-what-i-got-wrong/

Levitt: "Back in March my main aim was to stop the panic."

On that basis think it is safe to say he should be ignored from a scientific view however qualified and knowledgeable he is.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

For sure Boris and assorted Tories sneaking in to Scotland in darkened cars , hiding in buildings talking only to a few Tories will do them no favours. We can only hope they send Gove up more often, he is a vote winner for independence.
    The UK Government is entitled to try to talk people around and cannot be blamed for trying, but in the end this is primarily down to the sheer uselessness of the Scottish Unionists. Nor do I think that what passes for strategy when it comes to trying to beat the SNP - shouting repeatedly about the "Union dividend" - is much of a formula for long-term success. Even if they manage to win some converts back north of the border, they forget that their voices carry south of it, where the Barnett formula is loathed.

Let us park for a moment the reliability or otherwise of the GERS figures. If the Unionists fail to convince Scots that the transfer payments are important then a central plank of their argument is removed. If they succeed then that comes at the price of making English taxpayers think that the Scots are using their money to buy all sorts of goodies to which they, themselves, are not entitled. This is not a formula for success.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The UK Government is entitled to try to talk people around and cannot be blamed for trying, but in the end this is primarily down to the sheer uselessness of the Scottish Unionists. Nor do I think that what passes for strategy when it comes to trying to beat the SNP - shouting repeatedly about the "Union dividend" - is much of a formula for long-term success. Even if they manage to win some converts back north of the border, they forget that their voices carry south of it, where the Barnett formula is loathed.

Let us park for a moment the reliability or otherwise of the GERS figures. If the Unionists fail to convince Scots that the transfer payments are important then a central plank of their argument is removed. If they succeed then that comes at the price of making English taxpayers think that the Scots are using their money to buy all sorts of goodies to which they, themselves, are not entitled. This is not a formula for success.
    Well, the English don't get a vote. So what if they are pissed off at Scotland getting a better deal? They can't exactly expel the Scots from the Union.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Ave_it said:

Technically it *is* an offshoot of the common cold, i.e. it's much more closely-related to that than to flu viruses. As we hear, some people are permanently damaged by COVID-19. It's possible to suffer lifelong harm to one's health after a bad cold. Ed Gamble for instance developed type 1 diabetes

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/comedian-ed-gamble-reveals-having-16495632

The search for a vaccine for the common cold was abandoned ~30 years ago, i.e. it wasn't cost-effective. Harsh for those whose health suffers but probably the right decision for society. It may be similar with SARS-COV-2. Prof. Levitt in his interview condemned the money being spent on track and trace compared to the benefit these £ billions could bring if they were spent elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    dixiedean said:

2 months ago I was convinced Trump was finished. Not so sure now.
    Either way I think it will be a shitshow. Disputed and lawyer and protesting mobs heavy.
    Just the way Trump wants it.
    Would be ironic if he genuinely won fairly, but had so undermined trust in the process that he was seen as illegitimate in the eyes of the World.

Trump already is seen as illegiitimate in the eyes of much of the world, with only 29% of voters globally having confidence in him, however in India, the Philippines, Israel, Kenya, Nigeria and India over 50% of voters have confidence in the President, as do 44% in the Ukraine ie he is about as popular in Eastern Europe (outside Russia) as he is in the USA

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51012853
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Ave_it said:

Living with the disease is going to require substantial permanent suppression, either through annual vaccinations that are at least partially effective, or much better treatments than we currently have, or both.

The Government and a large chunk of the population are still very frightened of the disease, as will be confirmed if and when the first signs of a continental-style spike appear and there's an orgy of panic-flapping (likely to include masks ordered everywhere, press speculation about a second national lockdown, and possibly the closure of pubs.) Regardless of how much of the reaction is down to logic and how much due to blind, hysterical terror, we're not going to be able to re-establish a liveable, sustainable economy and society until a large enough majority of the populace is sufficiently reassured that it's safe to go about their business.
    If people obey the rules to the letter things will be fine, learn what they are and live by them. Some things will remain closed, dance clubs, music venues etc but the freedom to have a meal out, mix carefully with friends and family (whilst obeying the rules) etc should be enough surely?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

So, the fate of the United States may depend on nearly ten more weeks passing without any further incidents of trigger happy policemen being filmed executing unarmed black people in cold blood?

My recently announced confidence in a Biden victory may have to be revised...
    You have to hope people are able to see the real issues in play, but the GOP seem to have their side of the story ready to go before the the incident happens. What are black people supposed to do, bury their dead and thank the police for maintaining law and order whilst white supremacists appear to be able to walk the streets armed, with the police providing them with water etc.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

And?
    People may have different ideas as to what constitutes civilised behaviour , but -as described - this goes some way beyond the severity of floggings meted out by SS officers at Nazi concentration camps.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1299485759611850753?s=20

Trump now up to 55% approval with over 65s, 51% approval with white voters, 47% approval with men, 48% approval with voters earning $50 to $100k a year, 50% approval in the South and 48% approval in the MidWest.

However he still has a 58% disapproval rating with voters under 30, a 73% disapproval rating with black voters, a 53% disapproval rating with women and a 60% disappproval rating with voters in the West and a 53% disapproval rating with voters in the NorthEast.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Ave_it said:

At the peak we were only picking up about 1-2% of infections by my estimate. The numbers may look concering right now, but they are nothing like the scale of what was happening in March.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    nichomar said:

Ave_it said:

If people obey the rules to the letter things will be fine, learn what they are and live by them. Some things will remain closed, dance clubs, music venues etc but the freedom to have a meal out, mix carefully with friends and family (whilst obeying the rules) etc should be enough surely?
    I’m not sure from this post whether you are viewing “the rules” as a temporary or permanent feature of life. Because if the latter then following “the rules” to the letter would arguably lead to the dying out of the human race within relatively short timescale. How do you meet/make new friends, and by extension develop new relationships and new families in a world where you are effectively required to treat your existing family and social groups as those that you must stick with for ever.

And for a disease which, however allegedly uniquely dangerous compared to what has gone before, is effectively harmless to the vast majority of the population? However many anecdotal cases are cited to warn young people that they are risking their own health by not obeying “the rules” most recognise the reality that they really are not. They are asked to obey the rules for the health of others. Ultimately in the long run that is not sustainable.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,668
    edited August 2020
    malcolmg said:

https://twitter.com/AgentP22/status/1299592618792247296?s=20
    https://twitter.com/simon_telegraph/status/1299399579054505987?s=20

I know, Nats n'facts......
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,595

True, but the bullshit is blindingly obvious, and no longer novel.
    He’ll retain the already persuaded, but he’s not going to win back those who’ve decided their vote four years ago was a mistake.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,595
    This is a very interesting thread.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1299389870327115776

Long way to go, but the Trump ‘revival’ seems thus far to be wishful thinking.

• Options
    alex_ said:

nichomar said:

Ave_it said:

I’m not sure from this post whether you are viewing “the rules” as a temporary or permanent feature of life. Because if the latter then following “the rules” to the letter would arguably lead to the dying out of the human race within relatively short timescale. How do you meet/make new friends, and by extension develop new relationships and new families in a world where you are effectively required to treat your existing family and social groups as those that you must stick with for ever.

And for a disease which, however allegedly uniquely dangerous compared to what has gone before, is effectively harmless to the vast majority of the population? However many anecdotal cases are cited to warn young people that they are risking their own health by not obeying “the rules” most recognise the reality that they really are not. They are asked to obey the rules for the health of others. Ultimately in the long run that is not sustainable.
    Until there is a vaccine or continued improvement in treatments that make people feel safe to go out, I doubt very much that it will end human civilization, I don’t think there is a free pass for people under 30 with the bug but the odds are clearly in their favor if they get it. Just don’t go round to grandmas and hug her if you have been mixing in large groups without distancing.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

True, but the bullshit is blindingly obvious, and no longer novel.
    He’ll retain the already persuaded, but he’s not going to win back those who’ve decided their vote four years ago was a mistake.
    Basically Trump likely only wins through outrageous levels of voter suppression and electoral fraud, probably combined with the production of a few relatively minor incidences of the same on the Democrat side so that they can just call the whole thing a wash - violations on both sides evening out overall. And, as mentioned earlier, an attempt to claim a “win” on the night (if it happens) to make him the legitimate winner regardless of the potential for absentee ballots to change it (and if they do then that will “prove” they were fraudulent - won’t be picked up in exit polls and precedent of such votes never having changed on the night outcomes before)

How much control have the GOP got over voting administration in the key states?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    "Heneghan suggested that he had feedback from the Lib Dems that they and Labour could agree not to stand against each other in 50 seats, a move aimed at depriving Boris Johnson of a majority.

However, when he made the suggestion, a key member of Corbyn’s office replied with a blunt message: “We don’t do deals with the Lib Dems. If people are so desperate to stay in the EU rather than have a socialist government that’s their choice.”"

lolololol
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,668
    edited August 2020
    Business (sic) for Scotland impartial question:

How much do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

“I have more confidence in the economic competence of the Scottish Government in Edinburgh than in the UK Government in Westminster.”

https://www.businessforscotland.com/poll-70-would-trust-scottish-government-with-powers-to-run-economy/
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

It is a guaranteed recipe for separation, they cannot have their cake and eat it, if there is a deficit it is theirs and if not they are the rogues we think they are.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

alex_ said:

nichomar said:

Ave_it said:

Until there is a vaccine or continued improvement in treatments that make people feel safe to go out, I doubt very much that it will end human civilization, I don’t think there is a free pass for people under 30 with the bug but the odds are clearly in their favor if they get it. Just don’t go round to grandmas and hug her if you have been mixing in large groups without distancing.
    My point about linking “following the rules to the letter” and “ending human civilisation” is that forming new relationships and future human reproduction becomes problematic outside of existing relationships. Of course it will not happen, but that is because people will be bending the rules.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

“I have more confidence in the economic competence of the Scottish Government in Edinburgh than in the UK Government in Westminster.”

https://www.businessforscotland.com/poll-70-would-trust-scottish-government-with-powers-to-run-economy/

Have you worked out if the independence question was non standard yet?
  • Options
    edited August 2020

malcolmg said:

https://twitter.com/AgentP22/status/1299592618792247296?s=20
    https://twitter.com/simon_telegraph/status/1299399579054505987?s=20

I know, Nats n'facts......
    Oh dear, always sign Carlotta and Tories are flapping when Agent pish is rolled out and topped up by numpty tame unionist liar , only missing the dog food saleman for a full house. Desperate desperate stuff.

they have him down to a tee here
    https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00CFtCelySb3_Juj9aaO9GlqzF-1w:1598723541293&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=ronald+macdonald&client=firefox-b-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjF6Jam_cDrAhXoSxUIHcgnC30QsAR6BAgPEAE&biw=1280&bih=560
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    "Heneghan suggested that he had feedback from the Lib Dems that they and Labour could agree not to stand against each other in 50 seats, a move aimed at depriving Boris Johnson of a majority.

However, when he made the suggestion, a key member of Corbyn’s office replied with a blunt message: “We don’t do deals with the Lib Dems. If people are so desperate to stay in the EU rather than have a socialist government that’s their choice.”"

lolololol
    Just shows that the prime objective of Corbyns labour was to retain control of the party, not win seats or actually form a government. If the don’t throw him and his mindless clique out they will never get near power.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Well, the English don't get a vote. So what if they are pissed off at Scotland getting a better deal? They can't exactly expel the Scots from the Union.
    The English don't get a vote on Scottish independence. They do, however, get to vote for MPs, who are required to pay at least some attention to their constituents if they want to keep their jobs.

The bigger the scale of the unjust bribes that are, or at the very least are perceived as being, thrown at Scotland, the greater the level of grumbling and the more likely some MPs in England and Wales are to start demanding the long overdue replacement of Barnett.

We should remember at this juncture that (a) this Government has been shown to be acutely vulnerable to pressure and (b) there are likely to be substantial numbers of Tory MPs who are indifferent to the survival of the Union - either because they don't view it as beneficial, or because they think the Unionist cause in Scotland is already lost. Unless they're desperate to obtain a ministerial position then there is little reason for them to toe the line on this matter.

If the chorus of malcontents grows large and noisy enough then the calculation system for the UK's transfer payments, which is essentially arcane and nonsensical, will start to move up the political agenda, to the great discomfort of the Government.
  • Options
    Hancock: "'[If] Cases go up again, and we have to use very extensive local lockdowns or take further national action."

Do we?

What if the death and hospitalisation rate remains very low?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

lolololol
    Just shows that the prime objective of Corbyns labour was to retain control of the party, not win seats or actually form a government. If the don’t throw him and his mindless clique out they will never get near power.
    The purpose of Corbyn and his allies was to win a majority for a socialist Labour government, short of that they preferred to retain control of Labour than dilute their socialism by doing deals with the Liberals
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,178
    HYUFD said:

Trump now up to 55% approval with over 65s, 51% approval with white voters, 47% approval with men, 48% approval with voters earning $50 to $100k a year, 50% approval in the South and 48% approval in the MidWest.

However he still has a 58% disapproval rating with voters under 30, a 73% disapproval rating with black voters, a 53% disapproval rating with women and a 60% disappproval rating with voters in the West and a 53% disapproval rating with voters in the NorthEast.

He has a majority approval rating amongst the 9 justices of SCOTUS. That might be all he needs.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He has a majority approval rating amongst the 9 justices of SCOTUS. That might be all he needs.
    Are you sure? Not sure Roberts is a fan.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Have you worked out if the independence question was non standard yet?
    waiting on more data from cchq
  • Options
  • Options
    Mail reports an near exponential rise in cases in FR in stark terms.

Yet the death graph is flat.
  • Options
    What the hell is customs growth lol
  • Options
    So the planning argument ends how do we think? Number 10 pushing ahead anyway? U-turn?
  • Options
    Nobody has faith in this failed careerist or those that appointed her. It’s straightforward corruption. And who monitors corruption in the Commons? Her husband. Tory Britain for you. Rule Britannia.

Yet another Tory scandal has emerged
    Tory Peer Dido Harding has been paid a total of £175,000 of tax payers money for just 6 days work since starting an NHS Improvement role
    Most board members waived their fee
  • Options

Hancock: "'[If] Cases go up again, and we have to use very extensive local lockdowns or take further national action."

Do we?

What if the death and hospitalisation rate remains very low?

The original objective and purpose of the lockdown of “protecting the NHS” seems like it was from another century. Long forgotten.

The Government is now planning for a “reasonable worst case scenario” which explicitly predicts one third of excess deaths this winter will not be COVID related.

• Options
    alex_ said:

HYUFD said:

Are you sure? Not sure Roberts is a fan.
    Your assertion (and mine) will quite likely be tested towards the end of the year.
  • Options
    "Donald Trump is not a competent president but he is a terrifyingly effective one, as the 2020 RNC proved once again. The central lesson of 2016 for Democrats should have been: do not underestimate Trump, and do not take his general ignorance as a lack of political skill. Worryingly, this lesson does not seem to have been fully absorbed, and there are eerie similarities between the present election and the one four years ago. I’m getting deja vu, and I don’t like it." (£)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/28/donald-trump-2020-election-feels-like-2016
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    nichomar said:

alex_ said:

nichomar said:

Ave_it said:

It's worth reiterating at this point that Covid-19 represents a very low risk to the young - and that includes younger adults as well as children.

The current median age of the UK population is about 40 - thus, obviously, half of the population (about 33.3 million people) are under that age. According to the most recent NHS England weekly bulletin, Covid-19 has so far killed 235 people under the age of 40 (of whom 197 had underlying comorbidities.) Now, if we make two fairly reasonable assumptions - that there would have been very few if any deaths of under 40s from Covid-19 outside of hospitals in England, and that the death rate would've been similar in the rest of the country - then this would imply that approximately 280 people under 40 have so far died of the disease in the UK.

That would, in turn, suggest a death rate for the pandemic so far of around 8 per million for the younger half of the population as whole, or about one in a million for those who are otherwise healthy.

It is on this basis that the young are being told not merely to be a bit careful with masks, and social distancing, and staying away from Granny, but also not to go to parties, to visit each others' homes (except under quite narrow restrictions,) or to date, form new relationships and have sex. If not all of them follow these edicts to the letter 100% of the time then we should not be entirely surprised.
  • Options
    EPG said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

From my vantage point (Los Angeles), we saw protests and demonstrations post the Floyd murder, and the it went very quiet. Other parts of the US may be different.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Donald Trump is not a competent president but he is a terrifyingly effective one, as the 2020 RNC proved once again. The central lesson of 2016 for Democrats should have been: do not underestimate Trump, and do not take his general ignorance as a lack of political skill. Worryingly, this lesson does not seem to have been fully absorbed, and there are eerie similarities between the present election and the one four years ago. I’m getting deja vu, and I don’t like it." (£)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/28/donald-trump-2020-election-feels-like-2016

Yep. It is not looking good imho. The violence of the protests will secure Trump a second term by looks of things. Shy Trumps will heed his message of law and order. They are not being picked up by the polls I suspect.

Biden needs to call Bill and discuss how to change the subject onto the economy. Urgently.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    malcolmg said:

Nobody has faith in this failed careerist or those that appointed her. It’s straightforward corruption. And who monitors corruption in the Commons? Her husband. Tory Britain for you. Rule Britannia.

Yet another Tory scandal has emerged
    Tory Peer Dido Harding has been paid a total of £175,000 of tax payers money for just 6 days work since starting an NHS Improvement role
    Most board members waived their fee

Tory scandals just don't register anymore. We have had, probably, one a week for the last few months. Nobody cares.

Likewise competence. If the government don't make a complete horlicks of an issue (handled badly but not a complete disaster) I am beginning to accept they have been competent.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

From my vantage point (Los Angeles), we saw protests and demonstrations post the Floyd murder, and the it went very quiet. Other parts of the US may be different.
    Surely it is what voters see on their social media and cable news that counts not what they see in their own State?
  • Options
    I don't often find myself agreeing with Tim Farron, but in this case he's obviously correct.
  • Options
    In my favourite pizza shack. One pizza will have pineapple on.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Yep. It is not looking good imho. The violence of the protests will secure Trump a second term by looks of things. Shy Trumps will heed his message of law and order. They are not being picked up by the polls I suspect.

Biden needs to call Bill and discuss how to change the subject onto the economy. Urgently.
    The protestors want Trump to win just as the Corbynites wanted the Tories to win. In angry opposition life is easy. Lots to get Angry about. Lots to Protest about. Lots to Campaign about. Who wants to end up in power having to make decisions?
This discussion has been closed.