Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Migration to New Server

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Migration to New Server

Hi all,

Read the full story here

Comments

• Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,798
    Good luck
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Just so long as it's nothing to do with whoever runs the Government Covid data page. It's still very wheezy...
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    Pro_Rata said:

Good luck

I've setup a new server, and am in the process of doing a full backup. Once it's done, I will copy the database and files over, and do a restore.

How many missed the Pro Sexual Harassment training? Without knowing this number, we don't know it it's a lot or a little.
  • Pro_Rata said:

Good luck

Thanks and Good Luck, Robert. Any chance you could change the Government at the same time?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,344
    It was sa-ad when the gre-at ship went dow-ow-ow-own !

Hope it refloats well.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,238
    See you on the other side.
  • Good luck and thank you Robert for the migration. Hope it goes well.

FPT

I think No Deal is now on the cards

It could be argued that it's been the most likely outcome since June 2016. It certainly has since December 2019.

Each side thinks that it is incumbent upon the other to budge towards its position, and each side also thinks it has more to lose by giving ground than it has to gain from an agreement.
    Britain has got more to lose by giving ground. If people now think that No Deal is a realistic prospect then that is great news and a sign our negotiators are doing a fantastic job, nobody ever thought it was realistic under calamity May.
  • Pro_Rata said:

Good luck

Thanks and Good Luck, Robert. Any chance you could change the Government at the same time?
    Doesn't Robert live in California? Hopefully the Government will be changed but best to wait until November's election to achieve it.
  • I think No Deal is now on the cards

It needs political bilateral discussion to unblock. In other words, leadership.

That means Boris has to get off his arse, do some work and pick up the phones.

Don't expect him to bother until September.
    I should hope not. This should not be done until the last possible minute, only then will the EU be prepared to compromise.

I should hope not. This should not be done until the last possible minute, only then will the EU be prepared to compromise.
    Do you think they might be thinking the same thing?

EU agreements tend to always happen at 11:59:59, and are always preceded by utter certainty that a deal will not be reached.

See posts 1,233,433 to 2,343,454 on this site for details.

Of course they are, which is why nothing is being achieved.

Under the last disastrous Government Roberts and May kept making compromise after compromise in order to try to "make progress" and the result was that the EU literally just laughed at her. Boris took over and achieved a more substantial and acceptable compromise with weeks to go than she'd managed in years.

Any compromises made now will be banked and then used as the starting point when the real negotiations occur.
    I just discovered that Kimberly Guilfoyle, who is dating Donald Trump Jr, used to be married to Gavin Newsom.

That's quite a... errr... change.
    Meanwhile, 2020: the gift that keeps on giving. If you're Satan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53921285

Hurricane Laura is expected to cause a "unsurvivable" storm surge, extreme winds and flash floods as it hits the US, the National Hurricane Center (NHC) says.

Laura was upgraded to a Category 4 storm as it approached the coasts of Texas and Louisiana on Wednesday.

The NHC warned local residents to "rush" to complete preparations.

Half a million have been told to leave. Laura and another storm, Marco, earlier hit the Caribbean, killing 24.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2020
    rcs1000 said:

I just discovered that Kimberly Guilfoyle, who is dating Donald Trump Jr, used to be married to Gavin Newsom.

Is she the one that was on stage last night with clips going viral looking a bit possessed? Watching her looked like a scene from Ghostbusters.

So in a year where the RNC really seems a family affair, even the speaker with a name that isn't Trump still is related somehow.
  • Pro_Rata said:

Good luck

Doesn't Robert live in California? Hopefully the Government will be changed but best to wait until November's election to achieve it.
    I'll settle for a change in either the States or here, but preferably the States.
  • FPT

If you were to remove "until September" from that final sentence then it might be closer to the truth.
    He will try and fly in at the last minute and do something, as he did last year.

He's a bullshitter in chief, so I expect him to make concessions on state aid, the EU to compromise a bit on fish, and a deal done at the 11th hour.

This could end up getting voted through the EU and UK parliament in the week before Christmas.
    Only hasn't it got to go through about 76 assorted national and regional parliaments all over the EU as well?
    That as well. In a well-run world, the deal (or lack of one) would have been finalised, and millions of people and businesses in the UK, and the continuing EU would be working out what they need to do in January.

Either way, it's as if the UK doesn't want this to work...
    In a well-run world people use the time available to them and compromise when they need to do so.

What you are describing isn't a well-run world, its a fictitious utopia worthy of Thomas More. The only way to get this signed off prematurely is if we just roll over, play dead and sign on to whatever the EU wants.
    It's win-win for Trump.

If the violence continues, look how terrible the Democratic run cities are, they're all in flames.

If it ends, look I solved the problem while the Democratic run cities did nothing.

I really fear for America if we get four more years of this.

Under the last disastrous Government Roberts and May kept making compromise after compromise in order to try to "make progress" and the result was that the EU literally just laughed at her. Boris took over and achieved a more substantial and acceptable compromise with weeks to go than she'd managed in years.

Any compromises made now will be banked and then used as the starting point when the real negotiations occur.
    The compromise was a border down the Irish sea, an offer predecessor was offered an rejected. I don't see why the real negotiations won't end up with a similar outcome. Boris isn't interested in the material outcome only it's framing.

The compromise was a border down the Irish sea, an offer predecessor was offered an rejected. I don't see why the real negotiations won't end up with a similar outcome. Boris isn't interested in the material outcome only it's framing.
    The compromise was devolution to Stormont, something the EU had ruled out.

Differences between the UK and NI were something all parties even the DUP had agreed to so long as Stormont consented. Boris's genius was demanding Stormont's ongoing consent to any compromise, which the EU had refused to countenance previously.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,126

rcs1000 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Good luck

I've setup a new server, and am in the process of doing a full backup. Once it's done, I will copy the database and files over, and do a restore.

Thanks Robert. Your help behind the scenes is much appreciated by us all.

Hear hear

Roberts?
    Ah, Robbins
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Governor Newsom has rather impressed me. I never thought I’d say that about a Pelosi.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833
    rcs1000 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Good luck

Good luck, hope it goes well.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    rcs1000 said:

Pro_Rata said:

Good luck

Nice one, thanks.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Meanwhile, 2020: the gift that keeps on giving. If you're Satan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53921285

Hurricane Laura is expected to cause a "unsurvivable" storm surge, extreme winds and flash floods as it hits the US, the National Hurricane Center (NHC) says.

Laura was upgraded to a Category 4 storm as it approached the coasts of Texas and Louisiana on Wednesday.

The NHC warned local residents to "rush" to complete preparations.

Half a million have been told to leave. Laura and another storm, Marco, earlier hit the Caribbean, killing 24.

So is trump marshaling resources Ready to help out in what will be a disaster zone or is he to busy sending in over armed and over equipped federal agents in to intimidate protestors and incite them to more violence?
  • Johnson's record is of capitulation, so I expect us to end up in EEA and him to sell that as a great deal
  • Farage wasn't happy with the last deal, not really. Any capitulation will bring him back big time and he won't stand again, IMHO
    edited August 2020
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Governor Newsom has rather impressed me. I never thought I’d say that about a Pelosi.
    Newsom is better than Garcetti, who is a complete idiot. If I am American by time of the LA Mayoral election, I shan't be voting for him.

You may turn out to be right, but I reckon there's really only so much that the Government will actually be willing to give away. It can't roll over and effectively sign up to continuity CFP, because the fishing issue is too totemic and sensitive politically. Not quite on the same level as immigration, but only limited compromise is possible and the EU ain't interested in compromise. And it can only go so far on the LPF provisions as well without tying itself in knots in its trade negotiations with the rest of the world.

Johnson signed up to a deal on Northern Ireland because the province returns no Tory MPs, and it isn't strategically valuable whereas good relations with the US are. It doesn't necessarily follow that he'll be willing to sign up to any old rubbish.

You may turn out to be right, but I reckon there's really only so much that the Government will actually be willing to give away. It can't roll over and effectively sign up to continuity CFP, because the fishing issue is too totemic and sensitive politically. Not quite on the same level as immigration, but only limited compromise is possible and the EU ain't interested in compromise. And it can only go so far on the LPF provisions as well without tying itself in knots in its trade negotiations with the rest of the world.

Johnson signed up to a deal on Northern Ireland because the province returns no Tory MPs, and it isn't strategically valuable whereas good relations with the US are. It doesn't necessarily follow that he'll be willing to sign up to any old rubbish.
    Good post

It nld'eeds political bilateral discussion to unblock. In other words, leadership.

Plus Johnson needn't a win last year because Parliament wouldn't approve No Deal and he needed a Deal to show that it was Parliament that was the issue and why we needed a new Parliament. Going into an election pledging No Deal would have been far riskier, whereas going into an election saying "look I have a deal and Parliament still won't let Brexit happen" is a different kettle of fish.

That's not the case now. There's no election for four more years and Parliament is totally different now. He doesn't need to come back with something to offer Grieve.
  • Farage wasn't happy with the last deal, not really. Any capitulation will bring him back big time and he won't stand again, IMHO

Farage is history. FPTP means that he will never have a meaningful impact anymore. He's a talking head now, a jumped up journalist.
    First it was policemen. Then it was newsreaders. Then politicians, then prime ministers who were younger than me. But now I've just seen that the First Minister is younger than my son! I'm going to have to lie down ..
    Otoh I received a super 4m tree-lopper today, so am feeling quite young myself after lots of cathartic pruning.
    edited August 2020

Fishing is one of these things where there is no really good answer, because we don't really know exactly what we want.

Only British fishermen can fish in UK waters...
    Does that mean only UK registered boats, or boats owned by UK individuals or companies?
    Does this include vessel tonnage limits?
    (If so, are we going to impose tariffs on imported fish so that our fishermen aren't out-competed by those with larger vessels and lower costs)
    What about boats wet leased from foreign firms?
    Is there a requirement to unload fish in the UK?

It's very hard to completely remove foreigners from one section of your economy, and trade deals we sign here (not just with the EU) limit our autonomy. Can British firms own farmland or oil drilling rights in Canada? If so, why can't Canadian firms own UK fishing licenses?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,563
    FPT:
    RH1992 said:

Hogan also seemed to treat Ireland's rules with more contempt than Cummings did here. Wilfully breaking self isolation to go to a golf dinner is unforgivable, a slightly higher level than Cummings' actions in my view.
    Cummings didn't pose a threat to anyone else other than his immediate family
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_xP said:
    The white supremacist who killed two people yeaterday had been arrested
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Fishing is one of these things where there is no really good answer, because we don't really know exactly what we want.

Does that mean only UK registered boats, or boats owned by UK individuals or companies?
    (If so, are we going to impose tariffs on imported fish so that our fishermen aren't out-competed by those with larger vessels and lower costs)

It's very hard to completely remove foreigners from one section of your economy, and trade deals we sign here (not just with the EU) limit our autonomy. Can British firms own farmland or oil drilling rights in Canada? If so, why can't Canadian firms own UK fishing licenses?
    Canadian firms should be able to own UK fishing licences but they should buy them off the UK government or companies that originally got the licence from the UK goernment.

The issue is that UK fish are being granted out by other countries governments. That is why all licences for UK waters should be nul and void and a new scheme created from scratch with 100% of UK fish being licensed out by the UK government.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,829

And everyone he met on the trip
    Alistair said:

Eventually.

The problem is the white supremacist in question thinks of himself as the definition of armed militia.

He thought he was on the same side as the police and the army that Trump wants to send in
    edited August 2020
    Latest Lincoln Project....more preaching to the choir, I fear

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1298709365449355270?s=20
  • welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Johnson's record is of capitulation, so I expect us to end up in EEA and him to sell that as a great deal

Surely EEA involves FOM, as well as a “fax democracy” of adopting Brussels rules verbatim?

Johnson would do well to last till teatime.

I think you’re in for disappointment to say the least.
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Rule, Britannia!
    As this is going to be the Nighthawks thread, something completely offtopic. One of the most amazing and inspirational 40 second videos I’ve ever seen.

A few years ago, in the US the Americans with Disabilities Act said that major events should have a sign language interpreter for the hard of hearing. Sign language interpreters started appearing at speeches and concerts.

A small group, of perhaps half a dozen such interpreters, deduced to focus on music concerts, and adapted American Sign Language (ASL) to mimic the music being played as well as the lyrics being sung. This small group of ASL interpreters now work for many artists and promoters across America, signing songs for the deaf at concerts.

Deaf people can feel the vibrations of a concert, and the new ASL helps them understand the instruments and notes played, so they can follow along with the rest of the crowd.

So, here we go. Meet Holly Maniatty, rapper Eminem’s sign language interpreter!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VFRXaif1ewc

A couple of videos for those who find this interesting.
    youtube.com/watch?v=0iDAkEpCmBs <—- a full interpretation of the same song in a studio.
    youtube.com/watch?v=EuD2iNVMS_4 <—- 5 minute talk on the work done to update ASL for music performances.
  • welshowl said:

Johnson's record is of capitulation, so I expect us to end up in EEA and him to sell that as a great deal

Surely EEA involves FOM, as well as a “fax democracy” of adopting Brussels rules verbatim?

It wasn't a serious post, he will capitulate though
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,758
    edited August 2020
    Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:
    "Good people on both sides..."

Boris is a record of winning elections. Only one LAB has done better than him since 1945.
    welshowl said:

He's not going to sign up to EEA.

I think the risk is that he agrees a form of words that allows him to claim victory now, but causes us big problems later - a consequence of his desire for adulation, and not being very detail oriented.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,934
    edited August 2020

Why would he go for EEA when even the EU are offering a deal that ends free movement and allows our own trade deals with some regulatory alignment, EEA still means regulatory alignment but no end to free movement and no points system in breach of the Tory manifesto?

It would also be electoral suicide in the Red Wall, whose voters given a choice of EEA with Starmer or EEA with Boris may as well go back to Labour
  • Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:
    A white supremacist from Illinois who crossed state lines armed with an AR-15 before shooting dead two people.

Trump and his supporters: Why won't blue cities stop this violence?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,816
    I fear Hurricane Laura's impacts will dominate the news cycle and it will be fascinating to see Trump's response. I suspect he will be down there as soon as possible once the storm has passed.

welshowl said:

Fair enough.

We’re 50/50 no deal or deal in my view.
  • HYUFD said:

Why would he go for EEA when even the EU are offering a deal that ends free movement and allows our own trade deals with some regulatory alignment, EEA still means regulatory alignment but no end to free movement and no points system in breach of the Tory manifesto?

It would also be electoral suicide in the Red Wall, whose voters given a choice of EEA with Starmer or EEA with Boris may as well go back to Labour
    It was sarcasm.

I do believe he will capitulate though
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,229
    rcs1000 said:

It's win-win for Trump.

If the violence continues, look how terrible the Democratic run cities are, they're all in flames.

If it ends, look I solved the problem while the Democratic run cities did nothing.

This is why Biden needs to come out more strongly against the violence.

Yeah yeah "but he has!" and yeah yeah "but it's the feds not the protestors!" but that's not good enough and he has an election to win.

The nomination race is now over, so he needs to lead his base as he fights for the general.
    Scott_xP said:

And everyone he met on the trip
    Who? He didn't attend a major dinner (and specifically break quarantine to do so)
    stodge said:

I fear Hurricane Laura's impacts will dominate the news cycle and it will be fascinating to see Trump's response. I suspect he will be down there as soon as possible once the storm has passed.

https://twitter.com/spooknine/status/1298648890619711489
  • welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Fair enough.

We’re 50/50 no deal or deal in my view.
    Agree.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited August 2020
    welshowl said:

I agree.

Caving in is much more difficult than last time for similar reasons. As I've mentioned before, it's impossible, too, for Johnson to avoid electoral damage this time either way.

EEA may resurrect the ghost of Farage, reports of the death of whom I think in that situation would be greatly exaggerated, and a limited deal, with more limited compromises, will inevitably bring in more economic consequences, going on to damage the enthusiasms of Tory business-minded voters.

Last year he could cave in and win on gestures because the specifics were apparently postponed until some indefinite future for many voters ; not this time round.
  • rcs1000 said:

It's win-win for Trump.

Yeah yeah "but he has!" and yeah yeah "but it's the feds not the protestors!" but that's not good enough and he has an election to win.

The nomination race is now over, so he needs to lead his base as he fights for the general.
    How should Biden stop a white supremacist from Illinois from crossing state lines with an AR-15 and then killing two people?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,090
    One of the more disturbing side effects of both our changing climate and unusual summer weather that may be Covid related:

Bread price may rise after dire UK wheat harvest
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53921121

That article doesn’t give the full picture either, as global harvests are down (admittedly only by 0.5% and from a record year last year) so grain for import is going to be scarce.

There might, however, be one faint silver lining. If we leave transition with no FTA, we can of course suspend all tariffs on imported wheat. Which might actually deflate prices given CAP keeps them artificially high.

Otherwise, we could be in for a very nasty bout of stagflation this winter.
  • welshowl said:

I agree.

Caving in is much more difficult than last time for similar reasons. As I've mentioned before, it's impossible, too, for Johnson to avoid electoral damage this time either way.

EEA may resurrect the ghost of Farage, reports of the death of whom I think in that situation would be greatly exaggerated, and a limited deal, with more limited compromises, will inevitably bring in more economic consequences, going on to damage the enthusiasms of Tory business-minded voters.

Last year he could cave in and win on gestures because the specifics were apparently postponed until some indefinite future, for many voters ; not this time round.
    There is a real risk though - is there not - that upon this deal Brexit becomes something concrete and that's going to annoy even a few people
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,607
    Alistair said:

Scott_xP said:
    Allowing so many people to have guns and carry them in public is bonkers.
  • HYUFD said:

It was sarcasm.

I am beginning to come to the conclusion he will no deal

I cannot see on fish or a level playing field he has any other choice
    rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

I think the risk is that he agrees a form of words that allows him to claim victory now, but causes us big problems later - a consequence of his desire for adulation, and not being very detail oriented.
    Quite possibly, but the EU have consistently overplayed their (strong) hand for over 4 years, firstly spending till 10.01 pm in Dec 12th trying to get the referendum reversed, and now seemingly still misunderstanding the UK’s motivations, now its Govt has a whopping majority ( see Barnier continually referring to the Political Declaration and what he thought it meant).
    rcs1000 said:

We don't eat our own fish. We don't like it.

I went to the fishery at Ventnor on the isle of wight. Fresh sea bass, plaice, skate, lobster, crab, mussels and prawns. And more I can't remember.

How much of that was sold in the local restaurants?

Virtually nil, except cod for fish & chips which weren't even caught there. There were plenty of places selling pizza, pasta and chips though.

You wouldn't get that in Spain. Restaurants would be filled with fresh seafood and diners eating it.

As long as we don't eat our own fish most of it is going to be exported and eaten by foreigners.

Want to support British fisherman? Start going to your local fishmonger and buying British fish twice a week - not just the chippy.

welshowl said:

I bet you are hard left Starmerista poster
  • Is it 31st October we'll know if it's No Deal or not
  • Ave_it said:

welshowl said:

Social democrat, Labour member

rcs1000 said:

We don't eat our own fish. We don't like it.

I went to the fishery at Ventnor on the isle of wight. Fresh sea bass, plaice, skate, lobster, crab, mussels and prawns. And more I can't remember.

How much of that was sold in the local restaurants?

Virtually nil, except cod for fish & chips which weren't even caught there. There were plenty of places selling pizza, pasta and chips though.

You wouldn't get that in Spain. Restaurants would be filled with fresh seafood and diners eating it.

As long as we don't eat our own fish most of it is going to be exported and eaten by foreigners.

Want to support British fisherman? Start going to your local fishmonger and buying British fish twice a week - not just the chippy.
    Quite right. There’s a great place (plaice? Sorry!), in Cardiff market. I experiment with seafood types as often as I’m down there.
  • Quite like Starmer yup, think he'd be a better PM than Johnson

We don't know what the detail is behind the scenes.

I can't work out what the big deal is about state aid and fish, but then again I'm not party to all the discussions.

I could read the draft EU and UK texts in full and try and work it out I suppose..

Ave_it said:

welshowl said:

I'm social liberal like Priti Patel!
  • Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

welshowl said:

Good for you! :)

rcs1000 said:

It's win-win for Trump.

How should Biden stop a white supremacist from Illinois from crossing state lines with an AR-15 and then killing two people?
    He can't. He's not in office.

This is about campaigning and getting the tone right, and showing people what sort of leader he'd be.

You're not who he has to convince. You need to see if from the point of view of a fence sitter.
    rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

Perhaps, but if he goes too far then Parliament is bound to expose any such flaws - and we should not discount the possibility that enough Tory MPs rebel to bring down any agreement.

He has got to become one first though

Indeed, we must remove the stain of the nutters in the party
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

welshowl said:

Isn’t that an oxymoron?
  • welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

welshowl said:

Quite possibly, but the EU have consistently overplayed their (strong) hand for over 4 years, firstly spending till 10.01 pm in Dec 12th trying to get the referendum reversed, and now seemingly still misunderstanding the UK’s motivations, now its Govt has a whopping majority ( see Barnier continually referring to the Political Declaration and what he thought it meant).
    You can see that Barnier is getting frustrated now. He could play May and Robbins (sorry for calling him Roberts earlier) like a fiddle, but now the moves he mastered just aren't working anymore.

POBWAS.

Quite like Starmer yup, think he'd be a better PM than Johnson

Very likely, but we’d still be faced with the likes of RLB, Burgon, a revived Pidcock parachuted into a safe seat doubtless, Butler, Lloyd Moyle and their ilk that exist behind Starmer.

There’s your issue. The Govt is in many respects a shambles ( though it is dealing with the mother of all Black Swans in fairness), but though Starmer is unlikely to keep many awake at night and is highly plausible as PM, four years of headbanging antics from Labour are not undone and forgotten about in a trice.
  • welshowl said:

I agree.

Last year he could cave in and win on gestures because the specifics were apparently postponed until some indefinite future for many voters ; not this time round.
    Ultimately he could screw the DUP because he didn't need their votes.

He can't screw the English and Welsh Tories.
  • welshowl said:

Very likely, but we’d still be faced with the likes of RLB, Burgon, a revived Pidcock parachuted into a safe seat doubtless, Butler, Lloyd Moyle and their ilk that exist behind Starmer.

There’s your issue. The Govt is in many respects a shambles ( though it is dealing with the mother of all Black Swans in fairness), but though Starmer is unlikely to keep many awake at night and is highly plausible as PM, four years of headbanging antics from Labour are not undone and forgotten about in a trice.
    I completely agree, Keir needs to get a grip ASAP. I believe EHRC will give him grounds to do that
    nichomar said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

welshowl said:

Isn’t that an oxymoron?
    Priti like me shares social liberal values.

I hope you are not calling me a moron 😈

Tel that to all the ones he kicked out of the Party.

He has completely screwed the Tories.

The Kippers on the other hand like him fine, until he also fucks them over.

Indeed, we must remove the stain of the nutters in the party
    All nutters must be removed from LAB but then it will be a small party
  • welshowl said:

I completely agree, Keir needs to get a grip ASAP. I believe EHRC will give him grounds to do that
    If Keir expels some big names then that will underline that he really is different.

It may not be enough to make him PM, it wasn't enough for Kinnock who did that too, but it would be a big start.

Kinnock had the testicular fortitude to do it, we will see soon if Starmer does.

welshowl said:

His only hope is to force a split that takes the nutters and the loony CLPs out of the Labour Party into a new socialist nirvana. If they are still there at the next election he has no chance.
  • HYUFD said:

It was sarcasm.

I am beginning to come to the conclusion he will no deal

I cannot see on fish or a level playing field he has any other choice
    If the aim is to prevent leakage to the Faragists, he has no choice. Any deal will have an element of give and take, fair compromise, and that will give Nigel a space to drive the outrage bus through.

But if you're going to No Deal, it's going to hurt, at least in the short term. If only because no deal means lots of extra import/export forms, and we don't have the form fillers appointed. So every day the UK doesn't bail is going to make the initial pain worse. But if the government said "OK. No deal it is." tomorrow, would they really carry through? Really? If you consider the other U turns Johnson has done, really?

We're all stuck on this tiger. There's no way of getting off it. Good luck.
    Ave_it said:

nichomar said:

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

welshowl said:

Isn’t that an oxymoron?
    Priti like me shares social liberal values.

I hope you are not calling me a moron 😈
    Of course not, just can’t see anything Liberal about Patel.
  • Scott_xP said:

The ones he kicked out where the ones who were refusing to accept democracy and the Tory manifesto. Good riddance to them.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited August 2020

welshowl said:

If Keir expels some big names then that will underline that he really is different.

It may not be enough to make him PM, it wasn't enough for Kinnock who did that too, but it would be a big start.

Kinnock had the testicular fortitude to do it, we will see soon if Starmer does.
    As I've mentioned before, he can't do that. Kinnock expelled a tiny but noisy fringe ; the present Labour membership is at least 50% Left, comprised not only of the 80s machine-politics lefties of well-known conservative caricature, but also a number of more flexible and less grizzled younger people.
    Keir is heading for another election meltdown like 1992!

We're AL-RIGHT!!!
    ydoethur said:

One of the more disturbing side effects of both our changing climate and unusual summer weather that may be Covid related:

Bread price may rise after dire UK wheat harvest
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53921121

That article doesn’t give the full picture either, as global harvests are down (admittedly only by 0.5% and from a record year last year) so grain for import is going to be scarce.

There might, however, be one faint silver lining. If we leave transition with no FTA, we can of course suspend all tariffs on imported wheat. Which might actually deflate prices given CAP keeps them artificially high.

Otherwise, we could be in for a very nasty bout of stagflation this winter.

Wheat yields are well down, and prices up.

Good video explaining the situation from a farmers point of view, as he raced to get the harvest in before last week’s rain.

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=EBBPKFVmtlA
    Scott_xP said:

Err he kicked them out and promptly won a majority of 80. Fair enough you don’t agree with him, but if that’s being screwed, success must be quite something to behold.
This discussion has been closed.