Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another day and another set of front pages featuring the belea

12346»

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Nigelb said:
    Could be read as we asked around and no one remotely qualified would touch this stinking bomb with a barge pole let alone their CV.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731

Nigelb said:

There is a significant difference, though, between reopening schools when you rates of infection are (as in the US) pretty high, and (as here) pretty low.

If you start with low infection rates and have good control measures in place, the outcomes will be very different.
    It's the good control measures I'm not entirely confident about.

How do you work that out, given Corona hardly effects children at all?

We know children get infected and can pass on the disease.
    Granted for younger children, the rate at which they pass it on appears to be lower, but over the age of 10, there doesn't seem to be any great difference ibetween the infectivity of children and adults.

It's also inaccurate to say that it hardly affects children at all - rather, we know that the child mortality rates are extremely low.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Nigelb said:
    oh come on. If you say she's even second best people will criticise you for that
    No, I say that she ought not to have been appointed.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

There is a significant difference, though, between reopening schools when you rates of infection are (as in the US) pretty high, and (as here) pretty low.

If you start with low infection rates and have good control measures in place, the outcomes will be very different.

Granted for younger children, the rate at which they pass it on appears to be lower, but over the age of 10, there doesn't seem to be any great difference ibetween the infectivity of children and adults.

It's also inaccurate to say that it hardly affects children at all - rather, we know that the child mortality rates are extremely low.
    Human beings have passed diseases on to each other since time immemorial. That's how we survive. That is how we build up our immune systems. 40% of your genome is incorporated virus DNA.

Its on this pretext you are denying children an education? goodness
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds like Govey is going to be the strategist behind Bettertogether II by default, just by having a tenth of a clue as opposed to the zilch possessed by the rest of the cabinet. Expect more vetted walkabouts in Peterburgh and Fraserhead.

https://twitter.com/MrJohnNicolson/status/1296024836888829953?s=20

I am beginning to think that the SNP is currenty dictating Tory policy on "safeguarding" the Union.

Of course if we end up with a WTO terms Brexit and no trade deal with the EU and there is a Nationalist majority at Holyrood next year, Boris grants indyref2 and Yes wins then there will be customs posts at Berwick soon after and tariffs on Scottish exports to England and English exports to Scotland

That is only the case if we choose it to be. If England and Scotland came to an agreement on trade there would be no need for any infrastructure. The English government will decide, just as it will decide on whether there is a deal with the EU.

London will be as hard with Edinburgh as Brussels is with London, Scots should expect no favours from Westminster if it votes for independence and over 50% of Scottish exports go to England, under 50% of UK exports go to the EU
    It is in England's interest to have an amicable modus vivendi with Scotland at all times, including after separation should it occur. Indeed no true Englishman would deny that a prosperous Scotland would be good for England. And vice-versa. So if and when separation is a fait accompli both governments should, and I am sure will maximise trade and exchange with zero tariffs and minimal hindrances.

On the assumption that you're not being heavily ironical, fair play. I hope that your approach is more common in Unionism than it appears currently to be.
    I very much doubt it will be an easy divorce

RUK will want to protect their businesses and attract Scots business over the border and to London

It's naive to think it will be any easier than the UK EU divorce, it it happens of course
    As ever they will be petty , nasty and pathetic.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Human beings have passed diseases on to each other since time immemorial. That's how we survive. That is how we build up our immune systems. 40% of your genome is incorporated virus DNA.

You clearly have comprehension issues.
    I said upthread that this ought to be doable (see my reply to Scott) - but it requires proper infection control measures.
    Just ignoring the problem, as you seem to prefer, is not sensible.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    Off the Scottish LD's Christmas card list.

https://twitter.com/SiobhanBenita/status/1296053419841662976?s=20
  • Options
    I think it's possible for Labour to reclaim (a distant) second place in Scotland, the Tories look fucked
  • Options

Funny how Brexit = Good and Scottish Indy = Bad when, in reality, they are much the same thing.

With our Bluekip Govt, I do not really blame the Scots for wanting Indy but in reality it is as daft as Brexit and for the same reasons.

Not quite the same.

Brexit plus having this bunch of useless tossers imposed on us v. almost certainly being readmitted to the EU plus being able to choose our own useless tossers then kick them out if necessary.
    Your arguments for Indy are almost word-for-word the same as the arguments here a few years back justifying Brexit.

I sympathise with your desires, but I doubt Indy would be good for Scotland. Keep an eye on Norn Iron since it will be the test case from Jan 1st.
    The EUSSR imposing its evil will on the honest yeomanry of Olde England was largely a chimera, this government of all the tossers otoh is all too real.

I believe that you've made individual arrangements to depart from Brexit UK, no doubt with associated inconvenience, disruption and expense? Think of this as similar, only on a larger scale.
    Well, I was in Ayrshire at the weekend :D:D
    You would have been basking in sunshine Bev.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,902

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

@DavidL - That doesn't sound like much fun for anyone.

He's delighted to be back and see all his pals again but I think that the teachers are finding it pretty tough. They are doing large blocks of time with the same class so that movement through the school is limited. Yesterday my son had 3 hours of statistics, I mean, jeez.

What is clear is that getting kids back into secondary schools safely requires an immense amount of effort and planning affecting every aspect of school life including break times, timetables, meals, work distribution, etc etc. This is not something, if it is to be done right, that schools can start thinking about in September.
    The schools I know have been thinking about it since March.

At my school the signs for one way systems have been put in place already and we have an extra training day at the beginning of term to go through which of several scenarios that the senior team have come up with will be the one we use.
    I hope your school does not expect children to sit still for three hours at a time.
    I did timetable quadruple maths for a group one year which is about that. They were sixth formers doing Maths and Further Maths though, and coped fairly well.
    I remember having quadruple maths, for the same reason (Maths / Further Maths), but in different classrooms.

It wasn't so bad really, although we were probably a bit fidgety in 'normal' Maths.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

10% Sindy lead. Oof.

It is one way traffic now.
    It will be at the border

malcolmg said:

10% Sindy lead. Oof.

It will be at the border

malcolmg said:

10% Sindy lead. Oof.

It will be at the border
    That is just negativity and scaremongering. Anyone can look at Sweden/Denmark , Europe in general and see that is only an issue if you have petty idiots running Westminster....
    I'm seeing the flaw in your argument, malcolm.
    Enlighten me Nigel, all examples have no border issues that I am aware of
  • Options

The DM comments section has been a sewer for years. I honestly that that many of them have something wrong with their heads. They certainly seem to have zero empathy...
    Unfortunately, a disappointingly large number people are very susceptible to efforts made to dehumanise others, no matter whether it's Jews in 1930s Germany or migrants to 2020 UK.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I said upthread that this ought to be doable (see my reply to Scott) - but it requires proper infection control measures.
    What are those measures? Spain was and is measures-tastic. Its measures-licious. And yet cases are rising to the extent that we can;'t go there on holiday without two weeks of house arrest.

If you believe, as the good Dr Gupta of the oxford school teaches, that this pandemic rises and fall almost independent of 'measures' then you see the 'measures' for what they are. Or rather for what they aren't
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

The DM comments section has been a sewer for years. I honestly that that many of them have something wrong with their heads. They certainly seem to have zero empathy...
    I had a look, most comments are sympathetic.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    malcolmg said:

Funny how Brexit = Good and Scottish Indy = Bad when, in reality, they are much the same thing.

With our Bluekip Govt, I do not really blame the Scots for wanting Indy but in reality it is as daft as Brexit and for the same reasons.

Not quite the same.

Brexit plus having this bunch of useless tossers imposed on us v. almost certainly being readmitted to the EU plus being able to choose our own useless tossers then kick them out if necessary.
    Your arguments for Indy are almost word-for-word the same as the arguments here a few years back justifying Brexit.

I sympathise with your desires, but I doubt Indy would be good for Scotland. Keep an eye on Norn Iron since it will be the test case from Jan 1st.
    The EUSSR imposing its evil will on the honest yeomanry of Olde England was largely a chimera, this government of all the tossers otoh is all too real.

I believe that you've made individual arrangements to depart from Brexit UK, no doubt with associated inconvenience, disruption and expense? Think of this as similar, only on a larger scale.
    I was. It is less sunny today over in Argyll & Bute.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I know of someone from Scotland who was living in England at the time of the 2014 referendum who voted as they were still on the electoral roll at their parents address.

They voted Yes by the way.
    Neil is a tosser , he just wants to rig the vote, he can get his brillo pad back up here if he wants a vote
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    eek said:

The more interesting bit is how do you keep expensive to run and maintain rail lines running when demand isn't what it was before...

Build another even more expensive to run and maintain system seems to be the prefferred solution.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    NHS England Hospital numbers -

Headline - 15
    7 Days - 14
    Yesterday - 0

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

hard to believe the amount of fools going about spouting it doesn't affect this and it does affect that, total planks , if they give it to someone in their family they will know all about it.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Not quite the same.

you should have stayed in Ayrshire , still shining here.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

What are those measures? Spain was and is measures-tastic. Its measures-licious. And yet cases are rising to the extent that we can;'t go there on holiday without two weeks of house arrest.

If you believe, as the good Dr Gupta of the oxford school teaches, that this pandemic rises and fall almost independent of 'measures' then you see the 'measures' for what they are. Or rather for what they aren't
    Isn't it rising because of the huge numbers of people that went there on holiday? If everyone had stayed locked up I am pretty sure that would not have happened!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    what did the clown think they would do , just isolate a couple.
  • Options
    Is the summary of the Scottish border debate that the people saying its a Bad Idea as the WTO would impose a physical border are the same people who say Brexit is a Good Idea as the WTO won't impose a physical border?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sounds like Govey is going to be the strategist behind Bettertogether II by default, just by having a tenth of a clue as opposed to the zilch possessed by the rest of the cabinet. Expect more vetted walkabouts in Peterburgh and Fraserhead.

I am beginning to think that the SNP is currenty dictating Tory policy on "safeguarding" the Union.

Of course if we end up with a WTO terms Brexit and no trade deal with the EU and there is a Nationalist majority at Holyrood next year, Boris grants indyref2 and Yes wins then there will be customs posts at Berwick soon after and tariffs on Scottish exports to England and English exports to Scotland

That is only the case if we choose it to be. If England and Scotland came to an agreement on trade there would be no need for any infrastructure. The English government will decide, just as it will decide on whether there is a deal with the EU.

London will be as hard with Edinburgh as Brussels is with London, Scots should expect no favours from Westminster if it votes for independence and over 50% of Scottish exports go to England, under 50% of UK exports go to the EU
    It is in England's interest to have an amicable modus vivendi with Scotland at all times, including after separation should it occur. Indeed no true Englishman would deny that a prosperous Scotland would be good for England. And vice-versa. So if and when separation is a fait accompli both governments should, and I am sure will maximise trade and exchange with zero tariffs and minimal hindrances.

"... no true Englishman... " :D:D

"No true Scotsman, or appeal to purity, is an informal fallacy ... i.e., those who perform that action are not part of our group and thus criticism of that action is not criticism of the group"

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

10% Sindy lead. Oof.

It will be at the border

malcolmg said:

10% Sindy lead. Oof.

It will be at the border

malcolmg said:

10% Sindy lead. Oof.

It will be at the border
    That is just negativity and scaremongering. Anyone can look at Sweden/Denmark , Europe in general and see that is only an issue if you have petty idiots running Westminster....
    I'm seeing the flaw in your argument, malcolm.
    Enlighten me Nigel, all examples have no border issues that I am aware of
    ...an issue if you have petty idiots running Westminster....
    I think sums it up.

BTW, new thread.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

malcolmg said:

Not quite the same.

Lucky you, I adore Argyll and Bute.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    edited August 2020
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

The more interesting bit is how do you keep expensive to run and maintain rail lines running when demand isn't what it was before...

Build another even more expensive to run and maintain system seems to be the prefferred solution.
    It must be reassuring for workers in the rail industry to know that as long as HS2 has the support of the government then their jobs are safe.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Can you show me the figures for imported Covid cases into the UK from other countries?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,731

She has been appointed on a temporary basis pending the appointment of a permanent head
    Great, in many ways a temporary head is even worse, as no mandate for anything and everyone jockeying for the next person.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"No true Scotsman, or appeal to purity, is an informal fallacy ... i.e., those who perform that action are not part of our group and thus criticism of that action is not criticism of the group"

Antony Flew taught me philosophy back in the day.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

Unfortunately, a disappointingly large number people are very susceptible to efforts made to dehumanise others, no matter whether it's Jews in 1930s Germany or migrants to 2020 UK.
    "Unfortunately, a disappointingly large number of people are very susceptible to efforts made to dehumanise others, no matter whether it's Jews in 1930s Germany or migrants to 2020 UK."

fixed that for you. No charge...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

hard to believe the amount of fools going about spouting it doesn't affect this and it does affect that, total planks , if they give it to someone in their family they will know all about it.
    IF you are under 40 you have more chance of dying of a bee sting than covid. Far more are dying of from flu and pneumonia than COVID as we speak. Missed cancer diagnoses multiply by the day

But these are just facts. Cling to fear, if you wish.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Probably a controversial opinion but . . . Given that our neighbouring nations that had an original COVID surge all now seem to be having a second wave while we aren't (yet) then it seems like Track & Trace are doing a good job.

Anyone agree?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Antony Flew taught me philosophy back in the day.
    Did you pass the exam?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    what did the clown think they would do , just isolate a couple.
    OK - I don't even know who you are ranting it here? Can't be the UK government as this is a devolved issue. So who?
This discussion has been closed.