Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another day and another set of front pages featuring the belea

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,732

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

I’m still puzzled about the apparent aversion to “grade inflation” and why Williams demanded that it be avoided. This year’s cohort are the first to have taken the new, more rigorous GCSE specifications - where these more academically demanding qualifications not meant to lead to higher pass rates at A level? If not, why not?

Old uns dont like young uns having better grades than them. Old uns are in charge.
    In 1973 the standard grades offered for entry to top universities in popular subjects was around BBC. The course for which I got that offer now asks A*AA, and they take 6 times more people than in those far off days. So I think us older ones have got used to it by now. Naturally young people are much cleverer than we were.
    I did A-levels in the 80s. Off feel the average pupil now probably does 2-3x the amount of homework and revision compared to the average pupil in my day. They take it more seriously, have better teachers, access to a wider variety of teaching media to find what suits them best so they should get better grades without being significantly cleverer than we were.
    I had a friend about twenty years ago who was adamant that it was pure grade inflation and waxed lyrical about it. Then his sister became a teacher.

He looked into it in a lot more depth and ended up with a far more nuanced outlook.
    According to him, the grade inflation seemed comprised of multiple things:

- Changed teaching methods. The teachers now spent a lot longer on structuring their lessons to optimise different learning techniques and ensure coverage. The work done by teachers outside of lessons is staggering.
    - Significantly increased homework and coursework. The pupils genuinely do more work than we did.
    - More targeted learning. The Department of Education and Ofqual all set things up so that any time you spent that isn't teaching directly to the test is wasteful and discouraged.
    - Improved facilities and teaching media. This feeds into the different learning techniques.
    - (At the time): retakes. He was originally extremely skeptical about the value of retakes ("Just keep going until you get the result you want"), but he did a 180 on these ("Any test where luck has enough of a part that you can just try repeatedly until you roll sixes isn't a test that's worth the name"). The retakes reduced the random aspect of sitting tests (One bad day in two years, emotional damage, minor fuckup that ends up changing your life, etc).
    - Plus a small element of genuine grade inflation, which was different in different subjects. That, however, was all most people focused on, because it was the easiest to grasp.

Funny how people's opinions change when they take the trouble to understand what they opine on.
    (I do not exclude myself from this.)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

eek said:

eek said:

@Big_G_NorthWales @Philip_Thompson I thought you said all student place issues had been fixed.

Yet I come back from a day of holiday and instantly find https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53830172 as the top story in the BBC education section.

Now I really shouldn't be surprised that you believed the headline and ignored the detail but even so.

I did not say anything of the kind

The political decisions by all four nations may have been the right thing to do but the problems if has caused are huge and it personally worries me for my granddaughters university placing when she takes her A levels next year

I think we should all accept that the quangos and politicians across the land have failed comprehensively and I really do worry about the long term damage to education due to the debasing of the whole system
    You said Sky had reported that the funding restrictions had been resolved - as I said they hadn't been...
    If Sky said that then I was quoting Sky

But the whole thing is a mess and condemnation should be across the UK to the quangos and politicians.

We had the ridiculous situation here in Wales that Drakeford only followed England after their announcement admitting they were really not for the change

Watching Sky and BBC they are increasingly becoming the English broadcasting corporation virtually ignoring Wales
    The population ration between England and Wales is about 18:1, what do you expect? What would be a fair proportion of time dedicated to Welsh issues on Sky, a commercial TV station broadcasting to both, amongst others?
    They have always been the English Broadcasting Corporation
    I really dont get this view. What do you expect? The BBC have dedicated Scottish and Welsh channels, local radio, Wales has s4c, it isnt hard at all to get local news coverage.

I have no strong views on whether Scotland and/or Wales should be independent, have more or less devolution and think its primarily a view for them to decide, but sour grapes about TV stations focusing mainly on its much bigger audience sections is quite bizarre.
    And this is why independence is inevitable. Because even you don't think of us as one country.

If news is happening in Leicester that is national newsworthy then it gets reported. But if it's in Cardiff much less so.
    That isnt true. I would think of myself as more British than English, I would prefer it to stay as the UK, but accept if anyone votes to leave they should be able to. Whilst we are still the UK we are one country.

Cardiff would get the same coverage as Leicester. We had Nicola Sturgeon on for 20-30 mins a day on BBC1 for several months during lockdown, a completely disproportionate amount of time if doing it per head of population. Interviewees from the rest of the country, and indeed worldwide would be cut short so we could hear her live. If anything there is more coverage of Scotland and Wales than a per head basis would suggest, but of course England dominates because it is much much bigger.

Its a separate point, but I was very pleased Sturgeon was live so often during the spring and early summer because it showed what a good leader could have done, if we didnt have such incompetents in charge at Westminster.
    If you considered yourself British not English then you should want and demand British and not English news. But instead you consider England all that matters and think that Welsh news should be on a different channel. That's not very British.

The news is all Williamson, Williamson, Williamson at the minute - I wonder how many who have been watching the news can even name the Welsh Education Secretary? Let alone whether they should resign or not?
    Eh? Im happy with the status quo, with British news, where Scottish, Welsh and NI news gets a higher share of the coverage than a per head basis would demand, but doesnt get equal coverage with England. Because England is much much bigger.
    It doesn't get a higher share of the coverage, that's just not true.

Do you think 1/18th of the time spent on Williamson has been spent on his Welsh counterpart?
    I have listened to and watched about 2 hours of news so far this week. 15 minutes was with the Welsh Childrens Commissioner (who sounded engaged and doing a good job if anyone is interested in more Welsh news).
    I've watched hours of coverage and it has almost all been about Williamson. Even when the Welsh reversed it was discussed in concert with what does this mean for England - before it was later revealed the Welsh only reversed because the English did.

Without Googling it can you even name Williamson's Welsh counterpart? The idea that there has been a comparable level of coverage is for the birds.
    I am not saying there is a comparable level of coverage on national channels, of course there isnt because England is much much bigger! There shouldnt be equal coverage.
    I agree - equal coverage is a nonsense as is the daily Sturgeon conferences on both Sky and BBC

I am not asking for anything like equal coverage but the chaos in Wales and demands for resignations are not covered at all, making it look like only Williamson is in trouble when that is not the case

Indeed John Swinney's resignation demands were widely covered
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

I honestly don't know for Wales.

After the Six Counties and the Democratic People's Republic of Scotland have gone the Welsh might well think: fuck it, why not?

It would be like Gaza with terrible weather but they would have TAKEN BACK CONTROL.
    If Labour lost Wales as well as Scotland prepare for the 1000 year Tory Reich in England with just the occasional Blairite in between.

Though Wales voted Leave just like England and was united with England for centuries before Scotland and Ireland joined the Union even if Scotland voted for independence and Northern Ireland for a United Ireland
    Why use the word Reich with all its undertones

Do you ever think before committing to word
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Pulpstar said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

I’m still puzzled about the apparent aversion to “grade inflation” and why Williams demanded that it be avoided. This year’s cohort are the first to have taken the new, more rigorous GCSE specifications - where these more academically demanding qualifications not meant to lead to higher pass rates at A level? If not, why not?

Old uns dont like young uns having better grades than them. Old uns are in charge.
    In 1973 the standard grades offered for entry to top universities in popular subjects was around BBC. The course for which I got that offer now asks A*AA, and they take 6 times more people than in those far off days. So I think us older ones have got used to it by now. Naturally young people are much cleverer than we were.
    I did A-levels in the 80s. Off feel the average pupil now probably does 2-3x the amount of homework and revision compared to the average pupil in my day. They take it more seriously, have better teachers, access to a wider variety of teaching media to find what suits them best so they should get better grades without being significantly cleverer than we were.
    I had a friend about twenty years ago who was adamant that it was pure grade inflation and waxed lyrical about it. Then his sister became a teacher.

He looked into it in a lot more depth and ended up with a far more nuanced outlook.

- Changed teaching methods. The teachers now spent a lot longer on structuring their lessons to optimise different learning techniques and ensure coverage. The work done by teachers outside of lessons is staggering.
    - Significantly increased homework and coursework. The pupils genuinely do more work than we did.
    - More targeted learning. The Department of Education and Ofqual all set things up so that any time you spent that isn't teaching directly to the test is wasteful and discouraged.
    - Improved facilities and teaching media. This feeds into the different learning techniques.
    - (At the time): retakes. He was originally extremely skeptical about the value of retakes ("Just keep going until you get the result you want"), but he did a 180 on these ("Any test where luck has enough of a part that you can just try repeatedly until you roll sixes isn't a test that's worth the name"). The retakes reduced the random aspect of sitting tests (One bad day in two years, emotional damage, minor fuckup that ends up changing your life, etc).
    - Plus a small element of genuine grade inflation, which was different in different subjects. That, however, was all most people focused on, because it was the easiest to grasp.

There's normally a small amount of grade inflation from year to year, but the overall effect is limited because people are competing for uni places etc against their cohort, not people who graduated twenty years ago.
    This year and next year are a bit different - there simply must be a significant amount of grade deflation next year as the overall inflation this year was absolubtely whopping.
    Yes - but literally everyone is aware of the honking great asterisk by the side of all results this year. Because we all know that no-one actually took the exams this year, so it's hard to say whether or not the exams have got easier.

In all statistics and analysis, if there is a single event that's known to be uncharacteristic or incomparable, you remove it from the data. Simply remove this years results from any comparison or such analysis - because to use them for any comparison or analysis would be explicitly wrong statistically.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

Gavin Williamson will be saved imo, and more power removed from Ofqual and the Department for Education to Number 10 as part of the ongoing Boris/Cummings power grab. The Telegraph reports that both Ofqual's Chair and Chief Executive are under threat. My guess is Williamson will remain to shield Boris from blame when the September reopening of schools goes pear-shaped, and Brexit at the end of the year.

More interesting is that MPs are starting to question the wisdom of the last couple of decades which is to hive off responsibility to executive agencies like Ofqual in order to shield the government from poor outcomes and bad decisions.

Simon Hoare, a senior Tory MP, said: "Number 10 needs to think about how all of these executive agencies, quangos and arms-length organisations work. They are taking, on a daily basis, political decisions over which ministers have no control, no right of question, no right of direction and no right of overrule.

"We need a root and branch review which means we might have to have a larger civil service, more departmental ministers, but the time has come where unaccountable quangos are past their sell-by dates."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/18/ofqual-chief-staring-sack-mp-calls-quango-absolutely-useless/

(Any relation?)

Didn’t we have a bonfire of the quangos once before? One that created more problems than it solved.
    Ofqual is a Non-Ministerial Department (the same as Ofsted). Although it will be treated as one of the "education group" of quangos for administrative purposes, it actually reports direct to Parliament. The reason it was set up in this way was to give it a semblance of independence to counter the accusation that grades were being dumbed down for political gain.

Certainly the advice they gave to Ministers that exam results could be fixed by means of an algorithm was seriously screwed, and you have to question their professional competence or indeed whether they had their own agenda.
    It does not matter what you delegate; ministers are ultimately responsible. Williamson can't absolve himself by saying he has received assurances from whoever or whatever Quango. Quangos are all created by parliament and are under the direction of government. The minister leads a gigantic staff whose job is to drill down and check stuff, and his job is to take the blame.

The obvious truth, the elephant in the room, is that with no schools since March and no exams there is insufficient information to assess students accurately because vast amounts of relevant data are missing. The only thing you can be sure of it that you cannot know to whom to mistakes have been made, either under the original scheme or the hasty upgrade revision.

What should have happened (IMHO and imperfect) is that Years 11 and 13 should have been told that they will face exams, even if they are delayed a few weeks, so crack on with working.

As I pointed out, Ofqual is not a standard quango (Non-DepartmentL Public Body used to be the term) but an NMD and therefore designed to operate at arm's length from Government. Also, ministers are not supposed to be experts. So the quality of the advice they receive is vital.

This has of course been an unmitigated cock-up. Back in the febrile early days of the pandemic people were clamouring for certainty and irrational, knee-jerk decisions were made. People would have been better off being told to put up with uncertainty for a few weeks while better decisions were made.

But yes, the DfE should have advised Williamson that the Ofqual plan was a pile of poo. If exam integrity was the problem, then in my view grade inflation should have been assumed and maybe different grades issued (eg, W, V, X, Y, Z) to make the point they are different from normal. How Universities would have coped with making offers is a moot point, but they have bright people running them and they would arguably have been in no different position to now, only with more time.

It would have been nice if a few options could have been offered and consulted on, but the UK Government isn't allowed to work like that. We like to pretend that our political masters are omniscient and can magically present us with the one perfect answer.
    But according to Williamson's own account, he and his department were involved 'intimately' with OFQUAL's plans every step of the way.
    Very simple things like allowing outside validation of their statistical approach (something they explicitly refused despite several requests) would have prevented, or at the very least mitigated the whole debacle at an early stage.

No one is asking for omniscience; not even great expertise.
    Mere competence would be do.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082

malcolmg said:

eek said:

eek said:

@Big_G_NorthWales @Philip_Thompson I thought you said all student place issues had been fixed.

Yet I come back from a day of holiday and instantly find https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53830172 as the top story in the BBC education section.

Now I really shouldn't be surprised that you believed the headline and ignored the detail but even so.

The political decisions by all four nations may have been the right thing to do but the problems if has caused are huge and it personally worries me for my granddaughters university placing when she takes her A levels next year

I think we should all accept that the quangos and politicians across the land have failed comprehensively and I really do worry about the long term damage to education due to the debasing of the whole system
    You said Sky had reported that the funding restrictions had been resolved - as I said they hadn't been...

But the whole thing is a mess and condemnation should be across the UK to the quangos and politicians.

We had the ridiculous situation here in Wales that Drakeford only followed England after their announcement admitting they were really not for the change

Watching Sky and BBC they are increasingly becoming the English broadcasting corporation virtually ignoring Wales
    The population ration between England and Wales is about 18:1, what do you expect? What would be a fair proportion of time dedicated to Welsh issues on Sky, a commercial TV station broadcasting to both, amongst others?
    I really dont get this view. What do you expect? The BBC have dedicated Scottish and Welsh channels, local radio, Wales has s4c, it isnt hard at all to get local news coverage.

I have no strong views on whether Scotland and/or Wales should be independent, have more or less devolution and think its primarily a view for them to decide, but sour grapes about TV stations focusing mainly on its much bigger audience sections is quite bizarre.
    And this is why independence is inevitable. Because even you don't think of us as one country.

If news is happening in Leicester that is national newsworthy then it gets reported. But if it's in Cardiff much less so.
    You think Welsh independence is inevitable?

For Scotland and Northern Ireland yes, I think it is a case of when not if. I did not think that pre-2014. For Wales I'm honestly not sure. In isolation I don't think they would have even considered it but once Scotland and Northern Ireland go then I suspect there'll be suddenly a lot more demand for Welsh independence too. Ironically though its probably less likely since we've left the EU.
    It is not going to happen in Wales
    Even after Scotland goes?
    Well Scotland has not gone and it is not a done deal by some distance

But if Scotland did leave, I would expect Wales to tighten the bond with England
    “England and Wales” would be quite a nice country to be honest, assuming the “federalism” was properly thought out rather than say, Flanders/Wallonia.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,344

malcolmg said:

eek said:

eek said:

That isnt true. I would think of myself as more British than English, I would prefer it to stay as the UK, but accept if anyone votes to leave they should be able to. Whilst we are still the UK we are one country.

Cardiff would get the same coverage as Leicester. We had Nicola Sturgeon on for 20-30 mins a day on BBC1 for several months during lockdown, a completely disproportionate amount of time if doing it per head of population. Interviewees from the rest of the country, and indeed worldwide would be cut short so we could hear her live. If anything there is more coverage of Scotland and Wales than a per head basis would suggest, but of course England dominates because it is much much bigger.

Its a separate point, but I was very pleased Sturgeon was live so often during the spring and early summer because it showed what a good leader could have done, if we didnt have such incompetents in charge at Westminster.
    If you considered yourself British not English then you should want and demand British and not English news. But instead you consider England all that matters and think that Welsh news should be on a different channel. That's not very British.

The news is all Williamson, Williamson, Williamson at the minute - I wonder how many who have been watching the news can even name the Welsh Education Secretary? Let alone whether they should resign or not?
    Eh? Im happy with the status quo, with British news, where Scottish, Welsh and NI news gets a higher share of the coverage than a per head basis would demand, but doesnt get equal coverage with England. Because England is much much bigger.

Do you think 1/18th of the time spent on Williamson has been spent on his Welsh counterpart?
    I have listened to and watched about 2 hours of news so far this week. 15 minutes was with the Welsh Childrens Commissioner (who sounded engaged and doing a good job if anyone is interested in more Welsh news).
    I've watched hours of coverage and it has almost all been about Williamson. Even when the Welsh reversed it was discussed in concert with what does this mean for England - before it was later revealed the Welsh only reversed because the English did.

Without Googling it can you even name Williamson's Welsh counterpart? The idea that there has been a comparable level of coverage is for the birds.
    I am not saying there is a comparable level of coverage on national channels, of course there isnt because England is much much bigger! There shouldnt be equal coverage.
    I agree - equal coverage is a nonsense as is the daily Sturgeon conferences on both Sky and BBC

I am not asking for anything like equal coverage but the chaos in Wales and demands for resignations are not covered at all, making it look like only Williamson is in trouble when that is not the case

Indeed John Swinney's resignation demands were widely covered
    Not recently. Of course if Williamson had done the right thing it might have been different...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

@DavidL - That doesn't sound like much fun for anyone.

He's delighted to be back and see all his pals again but I think that the teachers are finding it pretty tough. They are doing large blocks of time with the same class so that movement through the school is limited. Yesterday my son had 3 hours of statistics, I mean, jeez.

What is clear is that getting kids back into secondary schools safely requires an immense amount of effort and planning affecting every aspect of school life including break times, timetables, meals, work distribution, etc etc. This is not something, if it is to be done right, that schools can start thinking about in September.
    The schools I know have been thinking about it since March.

At my school the signs for one way systems have been put in place already and we have an extra training day at the beginning of term to go through which of several scenarios that the senior team have come up with will be the one we use.
    That's good to hear but I don't think that a day is going to do it. I can imagine, for example, that teaching the same class for 2-3 hours continuously will bring its own challenges for any teacher and require a considerable reordering of their work materials and lesson plans.
    Sod the teachers. Three hours of sitting down will do no good for the pupils, even if the Scottish Government arranges free massage cushions. And we also know students' concentration drops after about 30 minutes.

Better would be a return to normal lessons, with teachers rather than children moving between classrooms, and some sort of structured break for exercise as well, perhaps with the children moving to the room next door where possible, or at least standing and stretching.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

tlg86 said:

@DavidL - That doesn't sound like much fun for anyone.

He's delighted to be back and see all his pals again but I think that the teachers are finding it pretty tough. They are doing large blocks of time with the same class so that movement through the school is limited. Yesterday my son had 3 hours of statistics, I mean, jeez.

What is clear is that getting kids back into secondary schools safely requires an immense amount of effort and planning affecting every aspect of school life including break times, timetables, meals, work distribution, etc etc. This is not something, if it is to be done right, that schools can start thinking about in September.
    The schools I know have been thinking about it since March.

At my school the signs for one way systems have been put in place already and we have an extra training day at the beginning of term to go through which of several scenarios that the senior team have come up with will be the one we use.
    That's good to hear but I don't think that a day is going to do it. I can imagine, for example, that teaching the same class for 2-3 hours continuously will bring its own challenges for any teacher and require a considerable reordering of their work materials and lesson plans.
    Sod the teachers. Three hours of sitting down will do no good for the pupils, even if the Scottish Government arranges free massage cushions. And we also know students' concentration drops after about 30 minutes.

Better would be a return to normal lessons, with teachers rather than children moving between classrooms, and some sort of structured break for exercise as well, perhaps with the children moving to the room next door where possible, or at least standing and stretching.
    They do get breaks where they can stand and move about but yes, it is a challenge, one of many arising from the new regime.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    edited August 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

After the Six Counties and the Democratic People's Republic of Scotland have gone the Welsh might well think: fuck it, why not?

It would be like Gaza with terrible weather but they would have TAKEN BACK CONTROL.
    Unlike Scotland, Wales is a construct that has only existed as a unified entity almost entirely under rule of the Kingdom of England or successors throughout all of it's history.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Unlike Scotland, Wales is a construct that has only existed as a unified entity almost entirely under rule of the Kingdom of England or successors throughout all of it's history.
    Wales could have almost complete autonomy yet remain within “England and Wales”. Devo-max if you like. English Prime Ministers however will have to understand that they are governing almost exclusively for England.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

And of course a few kings have been Welsh, effecting a sort of reverse take-over.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

However - the reduction in the content of the syllabus is another very important factor. Even in 1990 I was shown a 4 page summary of the content withdrawn from the Physics A level course I was taking, It was not replaced by anything else.
    Another factor is the sheer emphasis on learning exactly what is needed to pass the exam, not on anything that adds depth. We feel this keenly at Uni where students continually ask 'is this in the exam?'. Very frustrating, but its what they have been brought up with.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,366
    Argh
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Well, that was true of Ireland, not that it made any difference.

One big reason Wales is less likely to become independent than Scotland is geography. There are large Welsh population centres close to the English border with large English population centres close by on the other side.

The Scottish central belt is much further from the English border, and Newcastle is similarly far away on the English side.

This is one reason why the Welsh electorate is closer to England and voted to Leave the EU.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

However - the reduction in the content of the syllabus is another very important factor. Even in 1990 I was shown a 4 page summary of the content withdrawn from the Physics A level course I was taking, It was not replaced by anything else.
    Another factor is the sheer emphasis on learning exactly what is needed to pass the exam, not on anything that adds depth. We feel this keenly at Uni where students continually ask 'is this in the exam?'. Very frustrating, but its what they have been brought up with.
    Why is that frustrating? It’s efficient. If they are measured purely on one metric, it’s entirely rational to focus entirely on that metric.

The same happens in business. If you incentivise on KPIs, they are going to be targeted and screw any other consequences.

That’s the problem with standardised comparisons. If you know the algorithm, you can ALWAYS get an advantage.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462
    edited August 2020
    Scooped!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Owain Glyndwr says hi :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Unlike Scotland, Wales is a construct that has only existed as a unified entity almost entirely under rule of the Kingdom of England or successors throughout all of ITS history.
    Isn't England a construct that has only existed as a unified entity almost entirely under rule of the Kingdom of Wessex or successors throughout all of ITS history? :)
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Yeah, that's the "more targeted learning" bit.
    First rule of economics: incentives matter. If we measure their value by their exam result, then they will rationally focus on their exam result. Any diversion will detract from that. They may have a better rounded and deeper grasp of the subject, but how would they prove it? If the concentration of effort boosts them from a B to an A, then that can make a massive difference in the onward trajectory of their life.

If we want to use these exams for this purpose, then that is what will rationally happen.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,013
    edited August 2020

“England and Wales” would be quite a nice country to be honest, assuming the “federalism” was properly thought out rather than say, Flanders/Wallonia.

The Belgian devolutionary settlement has done a good job of holding the country together and frankly, after the 1961 Grève du Siècle, you wouldn't have given that short odds.

The asymmetric structure that balances the interests and representation of two and a half geographical regions and three linguistic communities is actually quite elegant.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Not only do Dido's old firm get a nice wad of dosh to run Test and Trace, they get to keep your data.

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1295869619836801025?s=09

That is shocking, completely unnecessary from the publics point of view. That data is very valuable, if we are going to give it to the private sector (we shouldnt, but if), lets at least sell it and get some decent cash for it.

Either corruption or extreme incompetence.
    Not only that but why even employ McKinseys...
    To polish the turd.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

eek said:

eek said:

Who said equal? Your line was 1/18th.

Sky and the BBC are giving more than 18x as much coverage to Williamson etc than they are to the Welsh counterpart. I couldn't even name his Welsh counterpart without Googling it the coverage has been so absent.
    Despite disagreeing with you more often than not, you sometimes make some great points, have admirable tenacity and a willingness to (occassionally) move well away from the party line but arguing with you can be tiring. You used the word comparable. That implies equal.

Look at the BBC annual report and you will see the lengths they go to to try and get balanced coverage between the different nations and regions of the UK, and the metrics they use to track this. It is broadly right and balanced.
    Comparable does not mean equal, if I wanted to use the word equal I would have used the word equal. I didn't say equal because I didn't mean equal. I did say comparable because it has a different meaning and that meaning is what I meant.

comparable
    /ˈkɒmp(ə)rəb(ə)l/
    adjective
    able to be likened to another; similar.
    "the situation in Holland is comparable to that in England"

You had already set (which I agreed with) the ratio of 1/18. If under your own logic the coverage of Wales was comparable to the coverage of England then 1/18th of the coverage dedicated to Williamson should have been dedicated to Williamson's Welsh counterpart.

Has that happened, yes or no?
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Many university courses are now 4-year degrees rather than the traditional three (sorry, Scotland; your cause is noble) -- at least for those who wish to progress further in a subject -- in part because A-levels no longer provide the same platform.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Why is that frustrating? It’s efficient. If they are measured purely on one metric, it’s entirely rational to focus entirely on that metric.

The same happens in business. If you incentivise on KPIs, they are going to be targeted and screw any other consequences.

That’s the problem with standardised comparisons. If you know the algorithm, you can ALWAYS get an advantage.
    Its frustrating because so few of them show a desire to do more than just what is needed. There seems very few with a love of the subject.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

And the introduction of league tables led to schools being more choosy about which exam boards they were using, creating disincentives for any of the boards to be perceived to be setting more challenging exams.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    It's a bit wet today

Is it Gavin's fault?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    Interesting long read on why the SNP flourishes despite it's record:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/scotland/2020/08/scotland-s-dreaming-why-snp-appears-unstoppable
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,082

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Unlike Scotland, Wales is a construct that has only existed as a unified entity almost entirely under rule of the Kingdom of England or successors throughout all of ITS history.
    Isn't England a construct that has only existed as a unified entity almost entirely under rule of the Kingdom of Wessex or successors throughout all of ITS history? :)
    England was effectively united under Athelstan in 927, it has been united longer than Germany, Spain and Italy and indeed France whose first king Philip II reigned from 1190
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,462
    edited August 2020
    Ave_it said:

It's a bit wet today

Is it Gavin's fault?

Don't be stupid. George Eustice is Environment Secretary.
  • Options
    US has now recorded 175,000 C-19 deaths. If LadyG pops by can somebody plese point this out to him. He thought this was about the level it would max out at. I suggested 200,00 and he thought I was being pessimistic. Now it's starting to look as thou 250,00 will be achieved before the pandemic finlly abates.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Physics is an interesting example. My son did Higher Physics last year and much of what he did was not in the syllabus when I did it. There was far more about Einsteinian physics, gravity and space. Indeed the Physics teacher said that much of the course was material that he had covered in first and second year at University and he is only in his 30s.

No doubt a lot of this stuff I did has been taken out. There is a lot less emphasis on using trolleys to calculate acceleration rates, less on lenses and light and probably more that I have long since forgotten. I would really hesitate to say that the content was less overall though.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,013

Comparable does not mean equal, if I wanted to use the word equal I would have used the word equal. I didn't say equal because I didn't mean equal. I did say comparable because it has a different meaning and that meaning is what I meant.

comparable
    /ˈkɒmp(ə)rəb(ə)l/
    adjective
    able to be likened to another; similar.
    "the situation in Holland is comparable to that in England"

You had already set (which I agreed with) the ratio of 1/18. If under your own logic the coverage of Wales was comparable to the coverage of England then 1/18th of the coverage dedicated to Williamson should have been dedicated to Williamson's Welsh counterpart.

Has that happened, yes or no?

You should sue Viz over Mr. Logic.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

And the introduction of league tables led to schools being more choosy about which exam boards they were using, creating disincentives for any of the boards to be perceived to be setting more challenging exams.
    League tables distort elsewhere. Why do the police focus on middle class traffic offences? is it because its an easy target, most cough-up and you can show what a good job you are doing?
  • Options
    Someone was complaining on here recently that there had been few inventions of significance in the second half of the 20th century.

They were clearly incapable of seeing what was in front of their nose...

Russell Kirsch, inventor of the pixel, dies in his Portland home at age 91
    https://www.dpreview.com/news/2623782158/russell-kirsch-inventor-of-the-pixel-dies-in-his-portland-home-at-age-91
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/scotland/2020/08/scotland-s-dreaming-why-snp-appears-unstoppable

Something to which English Tories of all people should surely be able to relate.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Physics is an interesting example. My son did Higher Physics last year and much of what he did was not in the syllabus when I did it. There was far more about Einsteinian physics, gravity and space. Indeed the Physics teacher said that much of the course was material that he had covered in first and second year at University and he is only in his 30s.

No doubt a lot of this stuff I did has been taken out. There is a lot less emphasis on using trolleys to calculate acceleration rates, less on lenses and light and probably more that I have long since forgotten. I would really hesitate to say that the content was less overall though.
    Do you mean GCSE Higher physics or Scottish Highers physics?

• Options
    DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Thats fair - my example was from1990 after all. However there is a feel that first year uni courses need to make up for what has not been taught to that point (generally, not restricted to physics).
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Not only do Dido's old firm get a nice wad of dosh to run Test and Trace, they get to keep your data.

That's pretty stupid. There will be people who refuse to give their data because they don't want some American consultancy firm playing with it - fuck it, I might be one of them. Still, all that data will be useful when McKinsey want to pitch for work with the US health firms that will be invited to run the NHS when the US trade deal goes through.
    Frankly I would trust Huawei more than McKinsey and Dido with my data.
    No you wouldn't.

You're just saying that to make a political point.
    No, the Chinese have never done anything dodgy with my data, while at the core of government here people have a track record of misusing and mishandling data.
    +1. No doubt the Chinese are more dangerous if one has important defence data or the like. But I doubt if Huawei care what I'm doing, while I wouldn't be in the least surprised to hear that the British government makes use of it and quite possibly sells it.

The whole anti-Huawei case is contaminated by the obvious fact that Trump is obsessed with China-bashing, partly for domestic reasons and partly as he thinks it'll lead to a better outcome to trade negotiations. It's possible that they are a genuine proble, but Britain seems to be dragged along with Trump's paranoia which isn't nemcessarily even genuine.
    Ladies & Gentlemen: the moral and ethical bankruptcy of the modern British Left.

Atlee and Bevin must be turning in their graves.

In foreign affairs it is hard to see anything other than moral bankruptcy across the board. This government was only to happy to be doing business with Huawei and the Chinese until just a few moinths ago, when it became politically more expedient not to. We still do business with every kind of depraved regime, including ones that cut people's heads off in public.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    IanB2 said:

Something to which English Tories of all people should surely be able to relate.
    There may be similar roots - selling "hope" rather than "competence".
  • Options

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Scottish Higher.
  • Options

USA Republican nomination betting (Betfair)

Trump: backed off the boards
    Pence: 1.02 (was 1.04 and flicked out to 1.05 yesterday)

Now 1.01 and only for £500.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The Tories used to be conservative and used to offer competence as a selling point. Now they have tossed both away, all they have left is what all nationalist parties are about when you come down to it - culture war. If Labour is ever to regain power, it needs to understand this and not to rise to the bait. That is one reason among many why it is so good Corbyn and Co are now no longer in charge of the party.

• Options

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Thats fair - my example was from1990 after all. However there is a feel that first year uni courses need to make up for what has not been taught to that point (generally, not restricted to physics).
    I hesitate to generalise but I would say that there is at least as much depth but perhaps not the same breadth which might leave holes for the Universities to fill.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

‘Robert Halfon, the Conservative chair of the education select committee, said the prime minister must personally lead the back-to-school campaign in order to ensure confidence.’

Er - no. Nothing would be more likely to see the government forfeit what little confidence is left on this issue than having imbeciles like Johnson and Cummings in direct charge of this. Not even Williamson, improbable though that may seem.

Halfon is usually very good on education but he’s slipped up there.

He would - and I mean this seriously - have been better calling for the ESC to take charge of it themselves. They’re quite good.

The key to having schools re-open is having protocols that work, and are not chaotic and contradictory. If parents and teachers have confidence then there won't be an issue.
    I wish it were so simple. The virus does not obey the rules of politics. The matter will be judged neither on protocols or advance confidence. By mid October we will have an idea whether 9 million school children, 2 million undergraduates and a million+ staff all working together in enclosed spaces indirectly kills large numbers of people and/or brings the country to a halt. I seriously doubt whether anyone has, or could have, any idea where we will be by October. Who is in titular charge of the virus and education will make no difference.

On the contrary.
    If someone had the sense to roll out on a mass scale the saliva test just approved by the FDA in the US, which is free to copy, can be run by any lab the same day, only costs around £5 a time, and can be pooled, it could be done in comparative safety.
    https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-issues-emergency-use-authorization-yale-school-public-health
    Actually, there ought to be nothing to stop any university with a bio lab to set up their own testing regime.
    They could do pooled tests of every department or college on a weekly, or even daily basis. The costs would be pretty low, and the results quick enough to go back and test every individual in a department if infection showed up.

...SalivaDirect does not require any special type of swab or collection device; a saliva sample can be collected in any sterile container. This test is also unique because it does not require a separate nucleic acid extraction step. This is significant because the extraction kits used for this step in other tests have been prone to shortages in the past. Being able to perform a test without these kits enhances the capacity for increased testing, while reducing the strain on available resources. Additionally, the SalivaDirect methodology has been validated and authorized for use with different combinations of commonly used reagents and instruments, meaning the test could be used broadly in most high-complexity labs.

Yale intends to provide the SalivaDirect protocol to interested laboratories as an “open source” protocol, meaning that designated laboratories could follow the protocol to obtain the required components and perform the test in their lab according to Yale’s instructions for use. Because this test does not rely on any proprietary equipment from Yale and can use a variety of commercially available testing components, it can be assembled and used in high-complexity labs throughout the country, provided they comply with the conditions of authorization in the EUA....
    Oxford is rolling out its own testing service, but the current plan seems to be only for symptomatic students and staff. Results supposed to be back in 24 hours. This could be useful in preventing the usual colds and flu from panicking everyone, but it probably won't do a lot to reduce CV transmission.

I'm sure they have the capability to do pooled saliva testing en masse, and the maths does show that this could make a big difference to spread, but University leaderships are no more competent than government ministers so...

--AS
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Mr. Observer, I don't disagree entirely but it seems unreasonable to single out the Conservatives when we have a Leader of the Opposition who kneels before overtly anti-capitalist morons with a catchy slogan, and Holyrood is led by an overt nationalist.

What's critical for the blues is to oust the imbecile and get a vaguely competent leader.
  • Options

USA Republican nomination betting (Betfair)

Trump: backed off the boards
    Pence: 1.02 (was 1.04 and flicked out to 1.05 yesterday)

Now 1.01 and only for £500.
    Tbh I'd be wary of 1.01 as there is still just about time for Pence to be replaced though there have been no reports of Ivanka practising her acceptance speech and I'd only expect it if Pence did something unbelievably stupid over the next day or so. 1.01 is where I'd expect the price to be Saturday-ish, with the GOP convention starting Monday.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,791
    Nigelb said:

Someone was complaining on here recently that there had been few inventions of significance in the second half of the 20th century.

They were clearly incapable of seeing what was in front of their nose...

Russell Kirsch, inventor of the pixel, dies in his Portland home at age 91
    https://www.dpreview.com/news/2623782158/russell-kirsch-inventor-of-the-pixel-dies-in-his-portland-home-at-age-91

Had they missed the PC, mobile phone and internet?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Scottish Higher.
    OIC

I have to agree that the A Level courses nowadays do contain a fair amount of what I was studying at university in year 1/2 during the 80s. This has meant the nowadays reduction in coverage of lenses, mutual induction, and electronics ( I did a nuffield A level!!) I also remember doing a lot more planetary mechanics then. I also remember covering a lot about structures of materials (which was good for engineering I suppose).
  • Options
    Of course, the haulage disagreement with the EU shows us that the UK is not after a Canada-style deal.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Many university courses are now 4-year degrees rather than the traditional three -- in part because A-levels no longer provide the same platform.
    And in part because they can charge by the year!
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Mr. Observer, I don't disagree entirely but it seems unreasonable to single out the Conservatives when we have a Leader of the Opposition who kneels before overtly anti-capitalist morons with a catchy slogan, and Holyrood is led by an overt nationalist.

What's critical for the blues is to oust the imbecile and get a vaguely competent leader.

When you look at the polls, and you look at events, its quite clear that many people do not see voting labour as the solution to the dreadful mess we;re in. Starmer should be streets ahead. He ain't

IF the tories are vulnerable, its from the populist right. Get Brexit wrong and the BP would take 10 per cent off them overnight. And that would just be the start.

• Options
    We're welcome to a Canada-style trade deal, as long as we implement the backstop properly, which the Government is currently trying not to
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Scottish Higher.
    OIC

I have to agree that the A Level courses nowadays do contain a fair amount of what I was studying at university in year 1/2 during the 80s. This has meant the nowadays reduction in coverage of lenses, mutual induction, and electronics ( I did a nuffield A level!!) I also remember doing a lot more planetary mechanics then. I also remember covering a lot about structures of materials (which was good for engineering I suppose).
    Oh lord I had forgotten the series and parallel circuits. So tedious. I think my son touched on that but we spent ages building them.
  • Options

My point was that now that the Tories have given up on conservatism and competence, there is nothing else there but culture war (and, as Dido Harding shows, cronyism). Allowing Johnson/Cummings to set dividing points by constantly responding to them, as Corbyn and Co would, is not something a labour party serious about winning should do.

• Options

When you look at the polls, and you look at events, its quite clear that many people do not see voting labour as the solution to the dreadful mess we;re in. Starmer should be streets ahead. He ain't

IF the tories are vulnerable, its from the populist right. Get Brexit wrong and the BP would take 10 per cent off them overnight. And that would just be the start.

Farage is biding his time. A rotten brexit is just the springboard he needs.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,218
    DavidL said:

Dura_Ace said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

That's pretty stupid. There will be people who refuse to give their data because they don't want some American consultancy firm playing with it - fuck it, I might be one of them. Still, all that data will be useful when McKinsey want to pitch for work with the US health firms that will be invited to run the NHS when the US trade deal goes through.
    Frankly I would trust Huawei more than McKinsey and Dido with my data.
    No you wouldn't.

You're just saying that to make a political point.
    I would certainly trust Huawei more - and I am literally typing this on a Huawei phone so I am not just making a point!
    No you wouldn't.

If you do you're either ignorant or naive.
    The CCP are obviously an even bigger bunch of gangsters and crooks than the Tory party, but the latter have a far greater ability to fuck up my life, owing to proximity.
    Well, that's something. I think it supports what I was saying earlier about the huge introspection and circle jerk the West has about itself, which ironically is a sign of arrogance and self obsession - even on the Left - as it doesn't realise it's increasingly irrelevant and being eclipsed.

The CCP want to watch and control everything you do with your data. They don't have to be resident here to do it. If they control cyberspace and the global economic levers they will achieve dominance and compliance without a shot ever being fired:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/552203/

https://www.justsecurity.org/62187/weapons-mass-consumerism-china-personal-information/
    CPC = evil and competent. tories = evil and incompetent.

I'm not sure which is worse but I'd much rather socialise with Xi Jinping than Johnson.
    Xi Jinping shoots dissidents, executes rivals, silences critics, oppresses and bullies his neighbouring countries, threatens others (including us), arrests those who speak against him ( and worse) and is committing crimes against humanity against the Uighur Muslims.

Johnson does none of those things.

If you're not sure who is worse then you're not thinking straight or you don't want to.
    Yeah, but Boris said several things that taken out of context might be regarded as racist. I mean, come on.
    BJ not as bad as Xi.

Finally the BJ boosters have found a populist slogan to get the rest of the nation(s) aboard. BJ's ratings in Scotland might even go below -50% once it gains common currency.
  • Options

Of course, the haulage disagreement with the EU shows us that the UK is not after a Canada-style deal.

Well that tunnel under the Atlantic is not quite finished yet, is it?
  • Options
    Rexel56 said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Many university courses are now 4-year degrees rather than the traditional three -- in part because A-levels no longer provide the same platform.
    More likely so that they can award the MSc which is more attractive to students.
  • Options

That's a big call a few months into this government's tenure and before the furlough scheme unwinds. Agree about the populist right, though: the Tories have only one way to win from here on in.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Much of that which my grandson talks about re Physics (planning to take A Level in it next year) is unrecognisable to me, who did A levels in 1957.
    However much of the M.Pharm curriculum is equally unrecognisable to me, who did the professional equivalent in 1961.
    And that's because the science has moved on. I'm always impressed by the science young people know, having also picked up the basics of what we did.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Exactly, David. We were not, are not and never will be Canada. Thus, we need more from the EU than Canada does, so they will need more from us.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    Mr. Observer, then why did the EU ever offer a Canada-style deal if it's unacceptable?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    Rexel56 said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Not really, most 4 year courses have a sandwich year in the middle for work experience which allows the university to add a project and charge another £5-9.25k for doing incredibly little.

Believe me I saw a lot of tricks when looking at universities - mainly because I love finding them..
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Scottish Higher.
    OIC

Oh lord I had forgotten the series and parallel circuits. So tedious. I think my son touched on that but we spent ages building them.
    As a retired teacher I lament the reduction in time spent on series/parallel circuits! I also lament the lack of electronics now, i.e. digital logic gates, operational amplifiers etc. They have been stolen by the D&T subjects!!

• Options

Mr. Observer, then why did the EU ever offer a Canada-style deal if it's unacceptable?

It is unacceptabe to the UK, not to the EU.

• Options
    Ave_it said:

It's a bit wet today

Is it Gavin's fault?

Yes.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Exactly, David. We were not, are not and never will be Canada. Thus, we need more from the EU than Canada does, so they will need more from us.

Strangely, international trade tends to follow an inverse square law with distance between countries, and Canada is bleeding miles away. A bit like gravity and electricity, since we are discussing physics, and probably other stuff I've forgotten.
  • Options

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Much of that which my grandson talks about re Physics (planning to take A Level in it next year) is unrecognisable to me, who did A levels in 1957.
    However much of the M.Pharm curriculum is equally unrecognisable to me, who did the professional equivalent in 1961.
    And that's because the science has moved on. I'm always impressed by the science young people know, having also picked up the basics of what we did.
    MPharm in recent years has become very clinical based, to the detriment of the science content. There is now an acceptance by the GPHC that this has gone to far, and more emphasis is returning to the science. However the idea of the 'scientist on the high street' has little relevance to community pharmacists, whose only CPD relates to clinical matters. Much more important for hospital pharmacists.
  • Options
    That's just the start. While self righteous politicians obsess about which petty rule to enforce next, which fines to increase and which holidays to ruin, businesses are struggling badly. Many are still reliant on government cash.

The British chambers of commerce says trading conditions have improved only modestly since the end of lockdown.

Well Duuuuhhhh what did Sunak and co expect?

• Options
    Labour: policy by focus group :)
  • Options
    We cant have spent £10bn on the failed app surely!?
  • Options
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496

Dura_Ace said:

If you're not sure who is worse then you're not thinking straight or you don't want to.

Dave agrees with me.

I've said before that picture will become Dave's Tea with Mussolini moment in years to come.
    Ted Heath fawned over Mao, doesn't seem to have dented his reputation much.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    First time I have not been able to read an FT article by googling the headline! Have they fixed that loophole?

Edit, copying the headline into a new private window worked fine.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    A useful summary of all that red tape we're getting rid of tangling business up in:

https://twitter.com/DanielFerrie/status/1295703716302135296
  • Options

First time I have not been able to read an FT article by googling the headline! Have they fixed that loophole?

Edit, copying the headline into a new private window worked fine.
    What you need is paywall avoider extension
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Scottish Higher.
    OIC

As a retired teacher I lament the reduction in time spent on series/parallel circuits! I also lament the lack of electronics now, i.e. digital logic gates, operational amplifiers etc. They have been stolen by the D&T subjects!!

Yes, capacitors, amplifiers, transistors, its all coming back now, shudder.
  • Options
    Its funny that many on the left are angry about this appointment too.

Johnson's government has achieved the spectacular feat of uniting twitter against it
  • Options
    Sounds like Govey is going to be the strategist behind Bettertogether II by default, just by having a tenth of a clue as opposed to the zilch possessed by the rest of the cabinet. Expect more vetted walkabouts in Peterburgh and Fraserhead.

https://twitter.com/MrJohnNicolson/status/1296024836888829953?s=20
  • Options

DavidL said:

Strangely, international trade tends to follow an inverse square law with distance between countries, and Canada is bleeding miles away. A bit like gravity and electricity, since we are discussing physics, and probably other stuff I've forgotten.
    But the US is our biggest single market and it is as far away as Canada.

And even if this was true traditionally where freight costs of physical goods would be a material consideration, I do wonder if it is in an age where so much of what we trade are pixels (Russel Kirsch RIP).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

malcolmg said:

eek said:

eek said:

They are crap. take 320M out of us and spend about 50p here. Sottish content is minimal , news coverage the same 5 minutes tagged on at end of English news. Football coverage dire, show English games all the time but at best 30 mins highlights of Scottish football. Crap service at big money charges, calling it British and ripping us off is anything but sour grapes, blinding anger more like.
  • Options
    He wanted the job.

• Options

Sounds like Govey is going to be the strategist behind Bettertogether II by default, just by having a tenth of a clue as opposed to the zilch possessed by the rest of the cabinet. Expect more vetted walkabouts in Peterburgh and Fraserhead.

https://twitter.com/MrJohnNicolson/status/1296024836888829953?s=20

I am beginning to think that the SNP is currenty dictating Tory policy on "safeguarding" the Union.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Where does the myth that Dido Harding oversaw the development of the failed test-and trace app come from? I mean, I know this is the era of fake news, but when I tried it a few moments ago it took Google just 0.45 seconds to come up with the correct answer:

Harding’s appointment comes as the NHS has launched its Covid-19 app on the Isle of Wight.

https://www.digitalhealth.net/2020/05/baroness-dido-harding-appointed-to-lead-nhs-covid-19-app/
  • Options

malcolmg said:

eek said:

eek said:

Who said equal? Your line was 1/18th.

Sky and the BBC are giving more than 18x as much coverage to Williamson etc than they are to the Welsh counterpart. I couldn't even name his Welsh counterpart without Googling it the coverage has been so absent.
    Despite disagreeing with you more often than not, you sometimes make some great points, have admirable tenacity and a willingness to (occassionally) move well away from the party line but arguing with you can be tiring. You used the word comparable. That implies equal.

Look at the BBC annual report and you will see the lengths they go to to try and get balanced coverage between the different nations and regions of the UK, and the metrics they use to track this. It is broadly right and balanced.
    Load of bollox
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

‘Robert Halfon, the Conservative chair of the education select committee, said the prime minister must personally lead the back-to-school campaign in order to ensure confidence.’

Er - no. Nothing would be more likely to see the government forfeit what little confidence is left on this issue than having imbeciles like Johnson and Cummings in direct charge of this. Not even Williamson, improbable though that may seem.

Halfon is usually very good on education but he’s slipped up there.

He would - and I mean this seriously - have been better calling for the ESC to take charge of it themselves. They’re quite good.

The key to having schools re-open is having protocols that work, and are not chaotic and contradictory. If parents and teachers have confidence then there won't be an issue.
    I wish it were so simple. The virus does not obey the rules of politics. The matter will be judged neither on protocols or advance confidence. By mid October we will have an idea whether 9 million school children, 2 million undergraduates and a million+ staff all working together in enclosed spaces indirectly kills large numbers of people and/or brings the country to a halt. I seriously doubt whether anyone has, or could have, any idea where we will be by October. Who is in titular charge of the virus and education will make no difference.

On the contrary.
    If someone had the sense to roll out on a mass scale the saliva test just approved by the FDA in the US, which is free to copy, can be run by any lab the same day, only costs around £5 a time, and can be pooled, it could be done in comparative safety.
    https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-issues-emergency-use-authorization-yale-school-public-health
    Actually, there ought to be nothing to stop any university with a bio lab to set up their own testing regime.
    They could do pooled tests of every department or college on a weekly, or even daily basis. The costs would be pretty low, and the results quick enough to go back and test every individual in a department if infection showed up.

...SalivaDirect does not require any special type of swab or collection device; a saliva sample can be collected in any sterile container. This test is also unique because it does not require a separate nucleic acid extraction step. This is significant because the extraction kits used for this step in other tests have been prone to shortages in the past. Being able to perform a test without these kits enhances the capacity for increased testing, while reducing the strain on available resources. Additionally, the SalivaDirect methodology has been validated and authorized for use with different combinations of commonly used reagents and instruments, meaning the test could be used broadly in most high-complexity labs.

Yale intends to provide the SalivaDirect protocol to interested laboratories as an “open source” protocol, meaning that designated laboratories could follow the protocol to obtain the required components and perform the test in their lab according to Yale’s instructions for use. Because this test does not rely on any proprietary equipment from Yale and can use a variety of commercially available testing components, it can be assembled and used in high-complexity labs throughout the country, provided they comply with the conditions of authorization in the EUA....
    Oxford is rolling out its own testing service, but the current plan seems to be only for symptomatic students and staff. Results supposed to be back in 24 hours. This could be useful in preventing the usual colds and flu from panicking everyone, but it probably won't do a lot to reduce CV transmission.

I'm sure they have the capability to do pooled saliva testing en masse, and the maths does show that this could make a big difference to spread, but University leaderships are no more competent than government ministers so...

--AS
    The marginal cost of pooled tests (on top of the lab overhead) would be around 50p per head. It seems an absolute no brainer to me, as it ought to be a great deal easier to set up than the existing rigmarole.
  • Options

Its funny that many on the left are angry about this appointment too.

Johnson's government has achieved the spectacular feat of uniting twitter against it
    You know I had my doubts but if all of Twitter is against it, there must be something to be said for it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

But the US is our biggest single market and it is as far away as Canada.

And even if this was true traditionally where freight costs of physical goods would be a material consideration, I do wonder if it is in an age where so much of what we trade are pixels (Russel Kirsch RIP).

The Single Market is our biggest single market. Our trade relationship to it is very different tot he one we have with the US. You are right, though, that it is in digital services where the UK can best prosper from here on in.

• Options
    Alistair said:

I know the Nats make much of Ruth Davidson not holding surgeries but what do they make of this? At least Ruthie D turns up to Holyrood and participates...

https://twitter.com/ChrisMusson/status/1295995643530563584

Independent MSP Mackay should fuck off out of parliament.
    Much like the much more serious Tory offenders at Westminster I presume , oh wait they keep their jobs , anonimity , privileges etc
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Rexel56 said:

Scottish Higher.
    OIC

Yes, capacitors, amplifiers, transistors, its all coming back now, shudder.
    And its all completely irrelevant now as its been superseded. The number of people that now need to know that stuff is incredibly small.
This discussion has been closed.