Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s Corbynistas have yet to face the unpalatable fact tha

Comments

• Options

Scott_xP said:
    I still find myself surprised to see we now have a functioning, professional Opposition. :astonished:
    That translates as "the public sector middle class is always right".

He's preaching to his supporters.

Possibly the sensible thing to do politically but it doesn't suggest he has any ideas to improve education.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Time for Williamson to resign.

Trouble is, if he goes for presiding over a sh*tshow, it rather exposes most of the others.
    Exactly.

If a Cabinet Minister can get the sack, where will it end?

Even SPADs might be considered expendable...
    Isabel Hardman in today’s Guardian/Observer - worth a read about the growing realisation among Tories that their government is f***ing this up bigtime.
    My occasional reminder that I predict this government will be plumbing the depths in polling by next summer.
    But why not now.

It amazes me that HMG polling has not collapsed

Though on exams the Scottish Government have debased their whole system for popularity but both the English and Welsh governments are in chaos not knowing how to find a fair and sensible way through and definitely not helped by the ridiculous Gavin Williamson
    It tends to take a while for events to show up in the polls; I'm not that shocked that the A Level fiasco didn't seem to appear in a poll done Thursday/Friday.

But it comes back to the big questions;

What is the thing holding the Conservative support up, despite their being demonstrably rubbish at government? They've lost the winner's bounce, they've lost the Covid crisis loyalty bounce, but then their fall stopped. Why?

What has put a cap on the Labour recovery under Starmer?

Whoever identifies that prop and reinforces it or knocks it out, wins big next time.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Trouble is, if he goes for presiding over a sh*tshow, it rather exposes most of the others.
    Exactly.

Isabel Hardman in today’s Guardian/Observer - worth a read about the growing realisation among Tories that their government is f***ing this up bigtime.
    My occasional reminder that I predict this government will be plumbing the depths in polling by next summer.
    But why not now.

Though on exams the Scottish Government have debased their whole system for popularity but both the English and Welsh governments are in chaos not knowing how to find a fair and sensible way through and definitely not helped by the ridiculous Gavin Williamson
    It tends to take a while for events to show up in the polls; I'm not that shocked that the A Level fiasco didn't seem to appear in a poll done Thursday/Friday.

What is the thing holding the Conservative support up, despite their being demonstrably rubbish at government? They've lost the winner's bounce, they've lost the Covid crisis loyalty bounce, but then their fall stopped. Why?

Whoever identifies that prop and reinforces it or knocks it out, wins big next time.
    the alternative is even worse.

Starmer is an empty suit with no policies
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

Who wants change in a crisis especially if the alternative is an unknown quantity, this lot are shite but the others may be worse!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436

Scott_xP said:
    I still find myself surprised to see we now have a functioning, professional Opposition. :astonished:

Possibly the sensible thing to do politically but it doesn't suggest he has any ideas to improve education.
    I was more commenting on a quick, professional response from LOTO rather than "Jeremy's currently not available, possibly on his allotment, but Owen Jones can write a comment piece for you by the end of next week"
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

What. An. Omnishambles.

The algorithm is the wrong answer to the wrong question, and the Government are rightly being awarded a U.

The point of university offers and A-level results in response to those offers is to appropriately and accurately differentiate between individuals in the cohort. The average ability in the cohort is only relevant as far as the level of the ability in that cohort reads across to the ability to cope with the university work (and the specific individuals difference from that average is also crucial).

The Government have trotted out a system which fails to have any plausibility in accurately differentiating individuals and instead ascribes a guess that the average won’t have appreciably changed and forces an overall result across the cohort to match that. Failing in every respect for the individuals and universities.

And now universities (who cannot offer places to all their offers) are tied in to this failed output, the administration is done, the accommodation is in train, and teenagers who “failed” to get A*AA but got AA*A (different subject order) have lost places due to not getting their exact results in exams they didn’t take and grades that didn’t reflect the results they didn’t get.

What an inextricable and total omnishambles. Utter failure.

How do you accurately differentiate between pupils when they will have had their grade predictions made differently ?
    I have no idea. Possibly based on the offers made by the universities (who will have taken into account the school's historical bias and any interviews of the candidate).

However, the principles of science tell us you do not need to know the right answer to be able to identify a wrong answer. The one given was a wrong answer.
    There are no right answers.

There are only various types of wrong answer.

That's what can happen when big, bad world acts nasty.

What I would say is important is that nobody is significantly and permanently damaged.

And, despite what some people are thinking, having to resit an exam (or rather sitting an exam) or doing a different uni course will not significantly and permanently damage people.

Big, bad world will have much worse things in store for people during the next fifty years.
    If an answer given not only fails to answer the question, but fails to even answer a wrong question, then it is wrong to use it and hope for success.

I would equally criticise an attempt to use astrological horoscopes to assign results.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

Fair criticism, albeit one that's fixable between now and the next election.

However, there's always the possibility that having no policies is better than having bad policies.

We may be through that particular looking-glass with the bad policies of this government,
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    Stocky said:

FF43 said:

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Ofqual: Anyone know what is going on?

Yes. They’re shit and don’t understand basic educational processes.
    Can`t believe I`ve woken up to this news - I actually slept well last night! First time in ages.
    I am desperately sorry for all parents caught up in this - the likes of you, Scrapheap, Eek, RP. It’s bad enough for me, I hate to think what you’re going through.

But I am afraid that the problem lies not with your daughter’s school, who from what you have said have done all the right things, but with OFQUAL and the government.

They are amply and cruelly displaying how shite they are, and why they need removing and replacing.
    The levels of incompetence really are spellbinding. To be treating young people in this way - unless they are privately educated, of course - shows just how much contempt the government has for them and reveals levelling up to be no more than a clever electoral slogan. If Cummings were serious about it, he would not be doing what he is.

These jibes at privately educated children are getting a bit tiresome, to be honest. My daughter goes to a private school and I can assure you they these pupils - and their parents - are as concerned as anyone.
    The fact is that privately educated kids have not been downgraded in the way state school pupils have. That’s not their fault, but it’s what has happened. It’s not levelling up. A government that cared about such an agenda would have spotted the issue and done all it could to mitigate it. But Boris Johnson put Gavin Williamson in charge of education, which tells you exactly what priority he gives it.

No-one has been "downgraded". You make it sound that the centre assessed grades were final grades in the first place. They were always to be subject to moderation.
    This is incorrect. On Ofqual's own assessment, about 50% of the grades are accurate, which means a quarter of students have been given grades less than they should have been.

At the same time a quarter have been given grades that are too high. They are not complaining about this, but it does mean that the English government's "solution" fails even on its claimed plus points of avoiding grade inflation and maintaining a gold standard.
    No. 39% are lower than the inflated teacher assessments went for. 1% are higher. 60% are the same.

More are lower than higher because Ofqual - as they said right from the start - think that the overall grades should be broadly consistent with previous years. This is an arguable premise to start out with, as other posters have opined.

See:

https://dfemedia.blog.gov.uk/2020/08/14/misleading-a-level-claims-debunked/
    The problem is that premise, which means that some students are rated lower than they would otherwise be, to offset those are rated higher. On a completely spurious pretext of avoiding "grade inflation", which the system fails to do while introducing additional unfairness.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090

nichomar said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I notice Philip never actually answered why he supports Eton existing, he just went onto deflect.

Why do you support Waitrose or M & S or the Ritz hotel or Mercedes Benz or Rolls Royce or Oxford and Cambridge existing either? Because the produce high quality services and products.

Same as an outstanding academy or comprehensive or grammar school compared to an inadequate or requires improvement state school
    And if you have money you can avoid all of this and go to a school which will give you connections and a better chance of getting into a good Uni.

The solution to use your analogy, is to ensure that Tesco has products that are as good as those offered at Waitrose, not to ban Waitrose from selling better quality products.
    If Tesco produced as good or better products than Waitrose, Waitrose customers would go to Tesco and prices would rise their accordingly and Tesco customers would then go to Waitrose whose prices would fall accordingly.

Basic market economics
    If you believe in private education you dont believe in equality of opportunity.
    Indisputably a true statement. The supporters of private education who I tip my hat to are those who man up and face this. Who say that, yes, it violates the principle of equal opportunities and, yes, it hampers social mobility, but that in their opinion this is a price worth paying for the things it delivers.

But such people are in my experience few and far between. Far more common is the disingenuous, issue-avoiding platitude: "I'm not a fan of private schools but they only exist because of the failures of the state system. Fix that and the problem goes away." Grrr to this. It's a shallow and/or bad faith argument.
    Only the left believe that parents should not be allowed to spend their money in the way they want to. The left want everyone to be equally disadvantaged. its politics to the lowest common denominator.
    There are two things in life you should not be allowed better access to just because you can afford it, they are health and education, after that it’s up to the individual. But whilst those that can buy these privileges they will continue to maintain the total farce of claiming freedom of choice, carry on deluding yourselves it helps you sleep at night.
    I'm entirely in favour of people educating themselves as much as possible and, in any case, what you desire is not possible. You cannot prevent parents with the means from buying private tuition for the children even were you to ban private schools. Nor could you prevent parents with a university education from helping their children and providing informal private tuition.

The implication of this is that we have to abandon the myth of meritocracy. We should stop pretending that we can have a society with fair competition, where the children with most merit can gain the appropriate qualifications and the well-paid jobs they consequently deserve.

Instead we should admit that society is unfair, that there will always be people at the bottom of the heap, perhaps even those who are smart enough not to deserve to be there, but end up there through no fault of their own. And we should ensure that everyone can live with dignity, with a decent standard of living, free from the fear of poverty. And we should acknowledge that the people at the top of the heap might be there now because of who their parents were than their own merits, and so they don't deserve limitless riches, but owe society a debt of gratitude for their good fortune.

Then, once free of the impossible obsession of creating an equal competition of meritocracy between children from unequal backgrounds, we can concentrate on doing our best to allow everyone to do their best - and if the wealthy buy their children an advantage it matters less because the consequences are less.
    Keep doffing that cap, and eat up your cake pleb. Sounds great just how the toffs like it.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    He is always invisible. Believed to be in hiding in Scotland.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I notice Philip never actually answered why he supports Eton existing, he just went onto deflect.

Why do you support Waitrose or M & S or the Ritz hotel or Mercedes Benz or Rolls Royce or Oxford and Cambridge existing either? Because the produce high quality services and products.

Same as an outstanding academy or comprehensive or grammar school compared to an inadequate or requires improvement state school
    And if you have money you can avoid all of this and go to a school which will give you connections and a better chance of getting into a good Uni.

The solution to use your analogy, is to ensure that Tesco has products that are as good as those offered at Waitrose, not to ban Waitrose from selling better quality products.
    If Tesco produced as good or better products than Waitrose, Waitrose customers would go to Tesco and prices would rise their accordingly and Tesco customers would then go to Waitrose whose prices would fall accordingly.

Basic market economics
    If you believe in private education you dont believe in equality of opportunity.
    That doesn’t follow.

Private education is a mode of delivery. Liberty demands that people should have the right to educate their kids how they like.

Believing in equality of opportunity means that I want state funded schools to be so good that no one chooses to educate their children privately
    Do you want it enough to propose raising taxes to equalise per pupil funding in the state and private sector?
    Private sector fees are too high - there is a lot of wasted money.

In any event focusing on inputs not outputs is the wrong approach

I would focus (In no particular order) on things like nutrition, class sizes, reversal of child centric education, homework, discipline, setting, restoring teachers pride/prestige, etc

It’s likely that, in aggregate, it would cost more.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I was more commenting on a quick, professional response from LOTO rather than "Jeremy's currently not available, possibly on his allotment, but Owen Jones can write a comment piece for you by the end of next week"
    But professional is not the same as opting for the easy answer and debased the exam system

This is a complex and serious issue but on the assumption teachers assessment have not been adopted 100% previously, the question has to be why now and why cause years of questions over previous and future exams and results
  • Options
    Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

I think you`re missing the pulse of the public on this. You are hearing the cries of those affected but I`d wager that the majority are on the side of maintaining consistent standards across years (i.e. avoiding grade inflation). This populist government knows this and while I think a U Turn is possible I haven`t quite got to the point that I think it`s likely.
    I'd wager the majority don't give a damn about grade inflation or downgrading.

Most people are not 2020 schoolleavers or their parents, so it does not directly affect them. For most, there is, as with other government missteps like whether you need a mask to buy a Pret sandwich or should you holiday in Spain, there is a vague general impression of government incompetence or even callousness.

Grade inflation or variation in A-levels is not an urgent problem. If it were, something would have been done about it already. There are wide differences in the number of top grades awarded from one subject to another, and between years, and even between boys and girls. It has been going on for years and no-one cares.

The system is a mess and the government made a bad situation worse.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Basic market economics
    Indisputably a true statement. The supporters of private education who I tip my hat to are those who man up and face this. Who say that, yes, it violates the principle of equal opportunities and, yes, it hampers social mobility, but that in their opinion this is a price worth paying for the things it delivers.

But such people are in my experience few and far between. Far more common is the disingenuous, issue-avoiding platitude: "I'm not a fan of private schools but they only exist because of the failures of the state system. Fix that and the problem goes away." Grrr to this. It's a shallow and/or bad faith argument.
    Only the left believe that parents should not be allowed to spend their money in the way they want to. The left want everyone to be equally disadvantaged. its politics to the lowest common denominator.
    No, we want a first rate system for everyone, so that everyone can flourish and real talent can rise to the top, instead of a permanent privileged class of well-spoken mediocrities like we have now.
    And everyone to earn at least the average income.
    surely that would mean an ever increasing average income.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829
    By way of distraction, a guy who might actually receive his own Darwin Award...

Gun Nut Blows Own Nuts Off, Is Hailed As Hero By Group Of Men Who Point Guns At Their Nuts
    https://www.wonkette.com/gun-nut-blows-own-nuts-off-is-hailed-as-hero-by-fellow-gun-nuts
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Basic market economics
    That doesn’t follow.

Private education is a mode of delivery. Liberty demands that people should have the right to educate their kids how they like.

Believing in equality of opportunity means that I want state funded schools to be so good that no one chooses to educate their children privately
    But what are you willing to do about it, many years as a school governor we’re spent trying each year to cope with the resources allocated very often under funded. This was 80s through to 95 so no idea what it’s like these days. All we seem to get is the reannouncement of the same £50 (For example) million extra money Time after time just repackaged. As for the farce of exam results and probably schools reopening, how long have they had to sort it? The planning should have started when they realized what was going to happen given there were no contingency plans.
    Personally? I support Oxford’s Step Up programme, Franklin Scholars, Read Easy and various breakfast club initiatives.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Basic market economics

No, we want a first rate system for everyone, so that everyone can flourish and real talent can rise to the top, instead of a permanent privileged class of well-spoken mediocrities like we have now.
    Andy_JS said:
    Fanny show off alert, obviously up to something dodgy and trying to butter the wife up.
  • Options

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

I think your missing the pulse of the public on this. You are hearing the cries of those affected but I`d wager that the majority are on the side of maintaining consistent standards across years (i.e. avoiding grade inflation). This populist government knows this and while I think a U Turn is possible I haven`t quite got to the point that I think it`s likely.
    You may well be right

I just do not see how Starmer calling to debase the system, as in Scotland, is responsible

I would say it will not be forgotten that 2020 exam results were in the pandemic when students did not take actual exams, and that this must not be allowed ever to happen again
    Nothing debased about Scotland G, they did the right thing and trusted the teachers rather than some totally bent algorithm. You diehard cult Tories would support them if they came in and murdered your family in front of you.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    England cases - absolute

• Options
    England cases - scaled to 100K

Slight change here - now highlighting anything over 3/100K per day

• Options
    England cases - regional

• Options
    Alistair said:

It's that incisive political instinct that made Ross a lock for the leadership.
    Where do they dig up these useless tossers, mind you a sockpuppet picked by the mooth and Bozo is guaranteed to be less than bright and be fit obly for brown nosing. Dross will find being Vichy Governor's tool not very pleasant.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    ONS infection rate survey

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Has Williamson resigned yet?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

Alan, even an empty suit would be better than Bozo and his clowns.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Basic market economics

Andy_JS said:
    Fanny show off alert, obviously up to something dodgy and trying to butter the wife up.
    His wife died last year
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Murray is a richard head of the first order.
  • Options
    Charles said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Basic market economics
    That doesn’t follow.

But what are you willing to do about it, many years as a school governor we’re spent trying each year to cope with the resources allocated very often under funded. This was 80s through to 95 so no idea what it’s like these days. All we seem to get is the reannouncement of the same £50 (For example) million extra money Time after time just repackaged. As for the farce of exam results and probably schools reopening, how long have they had to sort it? The planning should have started when they realized what was going to happen given there were no contingency plans.
    Personally? I support Oxford’s Step Up programme, Franklin Scholars, Read Easy and various breakfast club initiatives.
    Charles, we re not surprised that you favour the old silver spoon policy.
  • Options

ONS infection rate survey

Range bars. That's how you apply statistical processes.
  • Options
    ONS England incidence rate -

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Basic market economics
    That doesn’t follow.

All of those programmes are targeted at ensuring talented individuals get a fair shot at achieving their potential.

I’d encourage you to support any one of them
  • Options
    nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

Who wants change in a crisis especially if the alternative is an unknown quantity, this lot are shite but the others may be worse!
    impossible to be worse than this lot.
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Basic market economics

Andy_JS said:
    His wife died last year
    That went down well then.
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Basic market economics
    That doesn’t follow.

All of those programmes are targeted at ensuring talented individuals get a fair shot at achieving their potential.

Thing is Charles whilst you can tinker at the edges , the system is bent and favours people with money. It will not change but even with the advantages the Tories heap even more advantages on the rich , they really do not care a jot about common people. There may be decent people vote Tory but the ones that are running the country are just crooks, liars and morons, privileged I will grant you and I bet less than a handful ever came from a council estate if even that.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

I think your missing the pulse of the public on this. You are hearing the cries of those affected but I`d wager that the majority are on the side of maintaining consistent standards across years (i.e. avoiding grade inflation). This populist government knows this and while I think a U Turn is possible I haven`t quite got to the point that I think it`s likely.
    You may well be right

I just do not see how Starmer calling to debase the system, as in Scotland, is responsible

I would say it will not be forgotten that 2020 exam results were in the pandemic when students did not take actual exams, and that this must not be allowed ever to happen again
    Nothing debased about Scotland G, they did the right thing and trusted the teachers rather than some totally bent algorithm. You diehard cult Tories would support them if they came in and murdered your family in front of you.
    That is a truly disgusting comment and really is wholly unnecessary

Criticism is fair but comments like that are just abhorrent
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,413
    edited August 2020
    malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Malcolm, changing policy to ditch an algorithm that a fairly dim eight year old would have pointed out was flawed when it became obvious the alternative was massive unrest and their popularity collapsing is hardly ‘trusting the teachers rather than some totally bent algorithm.’

The fact Williamson is even more useless is not really an alibi.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    Professor Pennington writes to the Sunday Times:

I remember that typhoid outbreak - as it happens we'd only just been in Aberdeen when the lockdown was imposed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Aberdeen_typhoid_outbreak
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    edited August 2020
    Not only the UK and its state broadcaster lost in the past, though I don't think the Russkis are quite dumb enough to get a Sturmovik painted up with We Luv U Minsk for a flyover.

https://twitter.com/BBCSteveR/status/1295003032762097665?s=20
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Camping amongst the midges, with a baby, a Jack Russell and a high maintenence fiancé, while still recovering from a critical illness. Has he done something to offend Cummings?

He may be relieved if he has to return to base...
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Constant whining with ill founded criticism of the Scottish Government by Tory cult members is abhorrent. Try looking at your own patch rather than constant insults to Scottish government. Try to think outside your cult. You do not like that the Scottish Government are liked and your heroes are idols of clay , tough luck. Hard to believe anything would make you NOT a Tory voter.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

“I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.”
    ― Margaret Thatcher

Why do you think Malc is almost always like that?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Which are the government more worried about?

either a

Keir Starmer's criticisms

or b

Nigel Farage's criticisms

or C

Piers Morgan's criticisms

Illustrate your answer with examples.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Constant whining with ill founded criticism of the Scottish Government by Tory cult members is abhorrent. Try looking at your own patch rather than constant insults to Scottish government. Try to think outside your cult. You do not like that the Scottish Government are liked and your heroes are idols of clay , tough luck. Hard to believe anything would make you NOT a Tory voter.
    You miss the point.

Your reference to my family marks you out as bitter and nasty and in no way illustrates the generous nature of the Scots.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,033

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

“I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.”
    ― Margaret Thatcher

Sturgeon must condemn.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Malcolm, changing policy to ditch an algorithm that a fairly dim eight year old would have pointed out was flawed when it became obvious the alternative was massive unrest and their popularity collapsing is hardly ‘trusting the teachers rather than some totally bent algorithm.’

Still they had the cojones to fess up ydoethur and took it on the chin and do the right thing even if it showed them up. I would prefer teachers opinion to a dodgy algorithm thought up by some pen pusher. I think they at least did the right thing, agree they should have for seen it was going to be a car crash up front mind you.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Basic market economics
    That doesn’t follow.

Thing is Charles whilst you can tinker at the edges , the system is bent and favours people with money. It will not change but even with the advantages the Tories heap even more advantages on the rich , they really do not care a jot about common people. There may be decent people vote Tory but the ones that are running the country are just crooks, liars and morons, privileged I will grant you and I bet less than a handful ever came from a council estate if even that.
    I have a low opinion of most politicians and this government is testing even that...

But all I can personal do is tinker around the edges. I look for great people and help them build great organisations to the point where richer supporters are willing to step in and take over
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Camping amongst the midges, with a baby, a Jack Russell and a high maintenence fiancé, while still recovering from a critical illness. Has he done something to offend Cummings?

Methinks he will be in a 5 star establishment or a chums castle. He will have some peasants on hand to swat the midges as well as his usual entourage of skivvies and hangers on.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

The aboriginals will be charmed though, so mission accomplished.

• Options
    Perhaps malcolmg's attitude is why the Scots apparently need draconian hate speech laws far in excess of anything in England.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Still they had the cojones to fess up ydoethur and took it on the chin and do the right thing even if it showed them up. I would prefer teachers opinion to a dodgy algorithm thought up by some pen pusher. I think they at least did the right thing, agree they should have for seen it was going to be a car crash up front mind you.
    Yes, that is my point.

They did not do it because it was the right thing, even if it was.

It was because it was politically expedient.

That’s not a question of ‘cojones.’ Arguably, it’s the opposite.

Cojones would, for example, be admitting Police Scotland was an avoidable disaster and disbanding it.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Methinks he will be in a 5 star establishment or a chums castle. He will have some peasants on hand to swat the midges as well as his usual entourage of skivvies and hangers on.
    I suspect Carrie is the sort who fancies "glamping" and believes she is roughing it.

I can't see her pissing in a bucket and cooking a one pot meal over the Trangia.
  • Options

Which are the government more worried about?

either a

Keir Starmer's criticisms

or b

Nigel Farage's criticisms

or C

Piers Morgan's criticisms

Illustrate your answer with examples.

Speaking of farage is his great exposes of Patel out yet?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

I suspect Carrie is the sort who fancies "glamping" and believes she is roughing it.

I can't see her pissing in a bucket and cooking a one pot meal over the Trangia.
    At the same time?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

At the same time?
    The joys of camping are unlimited.

• Options

I remember that typhoid outbreak - as it happens we'd only just been in Aberdeen when the lockdown was imposed.

He of the unionist green ink brigade
  • Options
    Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

At the same time?

Quite

Its intents
  • Options

Foxy said:

nichomar said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

At the same time?

Quite

Its an intents experience
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Yes, that is my point.

Cojones would, for example, be admitting Police Scotland was an avoidable disaster and disbanding it.
    Police Scotland are no worse than any other UK police force and better than most , especially the MET. What makes you think it is a disaster, no sign of disaster in Scotland , surely not from some southern unionist rag.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

I do not want to ban private schools, I want to make state schools a lot better, give them tonnes more funding. That is the right way to solve this problem.

Is it? What do you want them to buy with the money? More computers? Better buildings? Somehow conjure up an elite brand of teacher? Is money really the need? We got a massive injection of cash, computers and buildings when I was at secondary, and I'm not sure it made a shred of difference to academic achievement.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941

Not only the UK and its state broadcaster lost in the past, though I don't think the Russkis are quite dumb enough to get a Sturmovik painted up with We Luv U Minsk for a flyover.

I wass going to query whether any Il-2s even fly today, but on checking, yes they do to my surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF9VZSkVZI0
  • Options

Perhaps malcolmg's attitude is why the Scots apparently need draconian hate speech laws far in excess of anything in England.

Now we have idiots pontificating beyond their level of competence. Go look up hate speech you halfwitted dullard.
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Basic market economics
    That doesn’t follow.

I have a low opinion of most politicians and this government is testing even that...

But all I can personal do is tinker around the edges. I look for great people and help them build great organisations to the point where richer supporters are willing to step in and take over
    Admirable but will never ensure fairness, worth your efforts mind you and admirable that you try.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Yes, that is my point.

On a point: how do you know it was (a) political expedience anyway, and (b) if it is both the politically expedient thing and the right thing, how can one tell?

Though you are not, I should stress, like Lord Foulkes of SLAB fame - I paraphrase: "yes, they're doing the correct thing but they are doing it deliberately!"
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

You miss the point.

Your reference to my family marks you out as bitter and nasty and in no way illustrates the generous nature of the Scots.
    I think you miss the point G, you are a Tory zealot and your constant attacks on everything the Scottish Government does is pathetic. If you cannot take the heat of political discussion and rhetoric then you should not be in the kitchen.
    It is not a knitting bee on here, even if you and Carlotta believe it is.
  • Options
    ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 902
    edited August 2020

I do not want to ban private schools, I want to make state schools a lot better, give them tonnes more funding. That is the right way to solve this problem.

Is it? What do you want them to buy with the money? More computers? Better buildings? Somehow conjure up an elite brand of teacher? Is money really the need? We got a massive injection of cash, computers and buildings when I was at secondary, and I'm not sure it made a shred of difference to academic achievement.
    I'd chuck a load of (the best) teachers into deprived areas to massively reduce the pupil to teacher ratio given loads of cash.

Reach the same level of pupil to teachers as the top, most expensive, private schools offer.

I've no doubt academic achievement in those deprived areas would increase.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I wass going to query whether any Il-2s even fly today, but on checking, yes they do to my surprise.

There were a lot of them! On checking they were in fact the most produced military aircraft design in aviation history. I always thought that was the 109, perhaps that was most produced single seat fighter.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

― Margaret Thatcher

Mid afternoon is when his turnip juice hangover is at its worst.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Yes, that is my point.

On a point: how do you know it was (a) political expedience anyway
    Er...you haven’t forgotten the relevant minister was about to be no-confidenced including by their own C and S partners unless he changed policy?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

― Margaret Thatcher

Pray tell what political point other than "A Tory Zealot" could I apply to someone who is constantly whining and insulting the Scottish Government with no reason behind his remarks other than petty Tory jealousy.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

There were a lot of them! On checking they were in fact the most produced military aircraft design in aviation history. I always thought that was the 109, perhaps that was most produced single seat fighter.
    Unlike the 109, they don't crash on landing if someone breathes heavily on them.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

You miss the point.

I think you miss the point G, you are a Tory zealot and your constant attacks on everything the Scottish Government does is pathetic. If you cannot take the heat of political discussion and rhetoric then you should not be in the kitchen.
    It is not a knitting bee on here, even if you and Carlotta believe it is.
    You go way over the line from time to time and it is unnecessary to any debate

And you are not going to silence me over Scots matters or shout me down with verbal abuse or otherwise
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Both correct, it seems.

Interestingly, the Soviets/Russians seem to have gone much more for tanks rather than aircraft for memorial parades - fire up the T-34s rather than the Ilyushin or Lavochkin equivalent of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. Perhaps it says something about their perceptions (especially as quite a few war memorials over there have a T-34 or an IS tank).
  • Options

I'd chuck a load of (the best) teachers into deprived areas to massively reduce the pupil to teacher ratio given loads of cash.

Reach the same level of pupil to teachers as the top, most expensive, private schools offer.

If it was that simple, it would have been done.

The truth is, like most social problems, it is complex and not trvially solvable with cash bombardment.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

The University of Aberdeen went on to develop an international reputation in the field of disease control, notably in the appointment of Professor Hugh Pennington to the post of Professor of Bacteriology from 1979 until his retirement in 2003.

Better CV than Sturgeon's poodle.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Yes, that is my point.

Why would you want to disband Police Scotland ?
    I wish they would take the Scots example in England and for example have a Yorkshire force rather than North , South , west and Humberside.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

― Margaret Thatcher

Pray tell what political point other than "A Tory Zealot" could I apply to someone who is constantly whining and insulting the Scottish Government with no reason behind his remarks other than petty Tory jealousy.
    I note that "the Scottish government isn't very good and deserves some criticism" hasn't crossed your mind....
  • Options
    Jesus now StarmerOut is trending
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Yes, that is my point.

Police Scotland are no worse than any other UK police force and better than most , especially the MET. What makes you think it is a disaster, no sign of disaster in Scotland , surely not from some southern unionist rag.
    You will ignore these because they don’t come from The National, but you would be advised to study them:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/force-failed-by-nothing-to-see-here-attitude-x390sk8zn

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/scotland/2017/07/was-snps-creation-single-police-force-across-scotland-mistake

And it’s not a question of ‘whether they are better or worse than any other force’ - the question is, ‘are they better than what they replaced?’

And unfortunately the answer is clearly no.
  • Options

Jesus now StarmerOut is trending

Really - you could not make this up
  • Options
    The left of Labour on Twitter is utterly doomed. These people are insane
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,202
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Yes, that is my point.

Er...you haven’t forgotten the relevant minister was about to be no-confidenced including by their own C and S partners unless he changed policy?
    Quite so. Obviously needed a good rethink and the SQA advice downgraded (not something that is lightly done). It's a minority administration anyway so things like that move fast. The opposition have been known to get ministers sacked for the worst snowfall in decades.

Compare what is happening with Messrs Williamson and Johnson at present.

But it is the correct policy anyway, ot at least arguably the least worst one, so who's complaining?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Yes, that is my point.

Why would you want to disband Police Scotland ?
    I wish they would take the Scots example in England and for example have a Yorkshire force rather than North , South , west and Humberside.
    You would also need to take Cleveland as no other force would want - it. Northumbria, Durham and North Yorkshire all refuse to go anywhere near it regardless of the annual suggestions that its merged into something bigger.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

England cases - scaled to 100K

Slight change here - now highlighting anything over 3/100K per day

Wonder what happened to Swindon? OTOH, Luton and Peterborough have dropped right down and Bedford's completely disappeared off the radar, so good news there.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

― Margaret Thatcher

Mid afternoon is when his turnip juice hangover is at its worst.
    PMSL , what a wag <3
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

I agree teachers are really the only effective lever we have.
  • Options

If it was that simple, it would have been done.

The truth is, like most social problems, it is complex and not trvially solvable with cash bombardment.
    Pupil attitudes to education and trying to succeed need changing, the its not cool to do well is destructive. Somehow you need to make education fit your audience, any ideas?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

The University of Aberdeen went on to develop an international reputation in the field of disease control, notably in the appointment of Professor Hugh Pennington to the post of Professor of Bacteriology from 1979 until his retirement in 2003.

Better CV than Sturgeon's poodle.
    Unionists holding up an 82 year old bacteriologist as their Covid poster boy is quite the metaphor. What was his CV like at the age of 36?

Sridhar certainly seems to wind up the dinosaurs, her age and sex no doubt playing a part. I hesitate to speculate on what other -isms might be involved.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Exactly.

But why not now.

You may well be right

Yes, that is my point.

Quite so. Obviously needed a good rethink and the SQA advice downgraded (not something that is lightly done). It's a minority administration anyway so things like that move fast. The opposition have been known to get ministers sacked for the worst snowfall in decades.

Compare what is happening with Messrs Williamson and Johnson at present.

But it is the correct policy anyway, ot at least arguably the least worst one, so who's complaining?
    unionists both sides of the border, dross , murray and such like , pb tories
This discussion has been closed.