Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lesson from the Veepstakes

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    Stumps on day 2
  • Options
    OT - Excellent article.

Personally as a Democrat who voted for Biden in the WA State presidential primary, and (good Lord willing & the creeks don't rise) will vote for him again this Fall, your truly is pleased with his selection of Kamala Harris.

Indeed, would have been pleased with the selection of just about ANY of the 1st or 2nd tier hopefuls - with the exception of Susan Rice.

Why not her? Because of Benghazi and Syria.

Last thing Biden & Democrats need to do is bring foreign policy into this campaign. Which is one reason why Trumpsky is doing his feeble best to achieve this, by trying to have a world summit (which Merkel nixxed, bless her heart!) and this weeks Israel - UAE treaty or whatever it is.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

A lengthy (and accurate) thread on why those questioning Harris' US citizenship are either utterly ignorant of US law, or utterly disingenuous, or both:

https://twitter.com/juliedcantor/status/1294025422489804806

They're racists. Hope that helps.
    Though the real disgrace is Newsweek actually publishing this as an opinion piece.
    Giving a platform to an evident racist lie helps give it traction.
    When yours truly was a kid, Newsweek was - along with Time - a national institution. When they started to decline was just about the same time they (along with Sunday Times) fell for the Hitler Diaries hoax. Or semi-fell; they published, indeed heavily marketed choice excepts from this fraud, but in a way that showed they had their doubts as to it's authenticity.

Now personally know NOBODY who regularly reads what is left of Newsweek. Once again, they've published a fraud trying to recoup their readership loses.

Tis a strategy fit for losers.
    Isn’t it now owned by a South Korean Moonie ?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    "Taxing the rich isn't about taxing your dad who made £150k last year."

This is a problematical statement on a number of levels -

1. It is cynical grooming aimed at the targets of Pulp's Common People.
    2. £150k a year SHOULD be paying more tax. Lots more.
    3. It validates the patriarchy. What about their mums?
  • Options

What will the Government do for young people in the long term so we can buy houses

Well, it's trying to make it easier and cheaper to build them,. The opposition parties which young people tend to vote for are slagging them off for it. Funny old world, isn't it?
    I will never slag off a Government that builds houses.

If by the end of this Parliament housing is affordable for young people, along with FTTP they'll have a great deal of praise from me.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617
    Arming workers?

Christ. They've totally flipped.

If that ain't grounds for kicking them out of Labour, then what is?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,778

Feel proper shit just want the Scottish seats back :(

Unionist Pary seats or SLP seats? Or Liberal ones?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Is it not simpler than this even? Of the contenders pick the one who is a senator. That's pretty much it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Arming workers?

Christ. They've totally flipped.

If that ain't grounds for kicking them out of Labour, then what is?
    Isn't it a spoof? The account replying, the original looks real ;)
  • Options

This takes the piss.

The next generation of barristers have complained that they were forced to urinate in bottles and buckets during their professional ethics exam this week.

The students were told they would fail their two hour 45 minute Bar Professional Training Course assessment if they left their desk to go to the loo, or if they did not maintain eye contact with their online invigilator.

And so the nation's future barristers, having drunk copious amounts of water to stay hydrated on one of the hottest days of the year, found themselves weeing in containers while staring at a stranger on their laptop.

Bar student Tian Juin See told RollOnFriday that when he asked to be excused about an hour into the exam, the online proctor refused.

"I tried to hold it, but a little while later I asked again and he said no", said Tian.

"It became rather unbearable and it was having an effect on my concentration", he said. Despite "literally begging" the proctor, Tian was told that "policy doesn't allow the use of toilets during exams. I told him that if I'm not allowed, I'm going to have to pee in the bottle, but he still wouldn't let me use the toilet".

"Finally, I couldn't hold it anymore", said Tian. "so I dumped out the water in my bottle all over my carpet", though he couldn't see where he was pouring it as the proctor said he was not allowed to turn away from the camera, "and attempted to take a piss into my bottle, blindly, while trying not to move around too much or look away from my screen".

"When I was done I raised the now yellow bottle to the webcam as if to say: 'Are you happy now?'"

Others were pushed to similarly humiliating extremes. Sophie Lamb, who is studying at BPP University in Leeds, said she had to maintain eye contact with her webcam while urinating, after she was unable to get booked at a test centre. "I took a bucket in and wore a long maxi dress so that I could squat down with my face still on camera", she said. "The sacrifices we make for our careers".

BPTC student Pete Kennedy said, "shorts and 5L bottle for me. Think I stealthed it."

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/aspiring-barristers-forced-urinate-bottles

Makes a change from the prinary qualification being the eating of n dozen not very good dinners in the Hall of an Inn of Court.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    DavidL said:

Is it not simpler than this even? Of the contenders pick the one who is a senator. That's pretty much it.

Until it’s a governor next time round.
  • Options
    On-topic -- remember the market is still open on Betfair because it settles on who is nominated at the DNC next week (Republicans the week after).

VP Nominee: 1.02 Kamala Harris
    President Nom: 1.02 Joe Biden

Republican Presidential Nominee: 1.02 Donald Trump
    Republican VP Nominee: 1.05 Mike Pence (in from 1.06 yesterday)

Fixed odds: Paddy Power 1/25 Trump for GOP nominee!
  • Options
    Last frame decider in ist SF at Crucible 5 points in it with one red left
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

On-topic -- remember the market is still open on Betfair because it settles on who is nominated at the DNC next week (Republicans the week after).

VP Nominee: 1.02 Kamala Harris
    President Nom: 1.02 Joe Biden

Republican Presidential Nominee: 1.02 Donald Trump
    Republican VP Nominee: 1.05 Mike Pence (in from 1.06 yesterday)

Fixed odds: Paddy Power 1/25 Trump for GOP nominee!

Ladbrokes have a pair of markets on if Biden and Trump will be the nominees come election day. 1/8 on Biden is a hell of a return in 82 days.
  • Options

What will the Government do for young people in the long term so we can buy houses

Well, it's trying to make it easier and cheaper to build them,. The opposition parties which young people tend to vote for are slagging them off for it. Funny old world, isn't it?

If by the end of this Parliament housing is affordable for young people, along with FTTP they'll have a great deal of praise from me.
    TBF I would be happy for my house to halve in value if it meant there was plentiful affordable housing stock for my Grandkids
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is true that the Dems have nominated a Senator to be VP every election for almost 60 years, but I'm wary of 'rules' like that which don't have any good reason to hold. In 2008 someone I knew said they were fairly confident Bill Richardson would win because Dems 'always' nominated a Governor with the exception of 2004 (and Kerry lost, thus reminding the Dems not to do that again). They've not nominated a Governor since.
  • Options
    Everyone needs to stop criticising Dishy Rishi on our boat. Just look at him instead.
  • Options

TBF I would be happy for my house to halve in value if it meant there was plentiful affordable housing stock for my Grandkids
    You’re a real saint. I wish all were as generous as you.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,454

Yes, but Scottish IS a brand when it comes to advertising, one that is very appealing, persuasive, powerful in its impact upon consumers. Much more so methinks than English or Welsh (to say nothing of Cornish) and in same league as Irish.

Scotland as a brand must rank among the top national brands around the world. Perhaps in part because Scottish does NOT have negative connotations that crop up with British and English (also strong brands) for many people in many countries.

Scotland is a massive worldwide brand, and most Scots are rightly proud of that brand - including the more coherent of the nats. Not sure they really need people to be professionally offended for them.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

DavidL said:

It is true that the Dems have nominated a Senator to be VP every election for almost 60 years, but I'm wary of 'rules' like that which don't have any good reason to hold. In 2008 someone I knew said they were fairly confident Bill Richardson would win because Dems 'always' nominated a Governor with the exception of 2004 (and Kerry lost, thus reminding the Dems not to do that again). They've not nominated a Governor since.
    Xkcd.

https://xkcd.com/1122/
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There were two other senators (at least) besides Sen. Harris under serious consideration: Elizabeth Warren (MA) & Tammy Duckworth (IL).

Plus few others under consideration at some point, such as Tammy Baldwin (WI), Maggi Hassan (NH), Amy Klobochar (MN) and Catherine Cortez Masto (NV).

And like Nigelb says, can NOT rule out governors. Esp. when you consider that this year, senators had an edge because of Biden's Senate experience as a senator and VP = President of the Senate.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

It's supply and demand. You need to build enough new houses so the price falls. Unfortunately everyone who owns property is a vested interest and doesn't want this to happen. Stopping the population growing might help as well.

Post-COVID there might be lots of city centre apartments in former office blocks which would be great for youngsters (and active retirees).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650
    RobD said:
    Its an old term. Cancelled is the new.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited August 2020

Nigelb said:

Alistair said:

Nigelb said:

A lengthy (and accurate) thread on why those questioning Harris' US citizenship are either utterly ignorant of US law, or utterly disingenuous, or both:

https://twitter.com/juliedcantor/status/1294025422489804806

They're racists. Hope that helps.
    Though the real disgrace is Newsweek actually publishing this as an opinion piece.
    Giving a platform to an evident racist lie helps give it traction.
    When yours truly was a kid, Newsweek was - along with Time - a national institution. When they started to decline was just about the same time they (along with Sunday Times) fell for the Hitler Diaries hoax. Or semi-fell; they published, indeed heavily marketed choice excepts from this fraud, but in a way that showed they had their doubts as to it's authenticity.

Now personally know NOBODY who regularly reads what is left of Newsweek. Once again, they've published a fraud trying to recoup their readership loses.

Tis a strategy fit for losers.
    On a comic level, remember Mad Magazine?
    Over here in GB, "Time" and "National Geographic" crop up in bigger news agents (or even Tesco) as does the really good "Scientific American".
  • Options

Yes, but Scottish IS a brand when it comes to advertising, one that is very appealing, persuasive, powerful in its impact upon consumers. Much more so methinks than English or Welsh (to say nothing of Cornish) and in same league as Irish.

Scotland as a brand must rank among the top national brands around the world. Perhaps in part because Scottish does NOT have negative connotations that crop up with British and English (also strong brands) for many people in many countries.

Scotland is a massive worldwide brand, and most Scots are rightly proud of that brand - including the more coherent of the nats. Not sure they really need people to be professionally offended for them.
    I did blink to find a senior London Conservative administration minister going on about the wonders of the brand. They have not given the impression of being at all interested in it -

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/scotlands-famous-brand-names-face-fight-protection-after-brexit-1415064
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

To achieve that goal you'd need to resurrect the two Harolds, Macmillan and Wilson. We haven't built enough private *and* council housing since their terms of office, 50-60 years ago. Absurd.

Since then, politicians from both main parties have boringly wittered on about 'the market'. It often *doesn't* provide.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited August 2020
    R4 now running the story that according to Trump, Kamala might not be eligible for VP
  • Options
    What a final frame Wilson 38 ahead 35 on table makes 2 school boy errors one white straight in the pocket its now 30 in it and whoever pots red probably wins
  • Options

It's supply and demand. You need to build enough new houses so the price falls. Unfortunately everyone who owns property is a vested interest and doesn't want this to happen. Stopping the population growing might help as well.

Post-COVID there might be lots of city centre apartments in former office blocks which would be great for youngsters (and active retirees).
    Very little to do with ‘supply and demand’ and a lot to do with the price of money, the ease with which foreign criminalsinvestors can buy into our property market, and the appallingly low level of taxation on property assets compared with many other countries worldwide.
  • Options
    We really don't seem to be seeing a lot of what is happening in Belarus. Not sure why, as the revolutions in Ukraine, Georgia etc were fairly well covered. I like to travel in that region so I'm on a few FB groups and have seen some scary stuff about snipers on rooftops, detainees being beaten up, etc, although it doesn't quite seem to be Euromaidan yet. Getting Lukashenka out could be an opportunity to get one back on Uncle Vova.
  • Options

To achieve that goal you'd need to resurrect the two Harolds, Macmillan and Wilson. We haven't built enough private *and* council housing since their terms of office, 50-60 years ago. Absurd.

Since then, politicians from both main parties have boringly wittered on about 'the market'. It often *doesn't* provide.
    A look at what the SNP have tried to do in Scotland offers an alternative. I go past a little close of quite nice newish council houses every morning. That wee close contains more houses than the first two Lab-LD administrations of the recalled Holyrood government built in the whole of Scotland.
  • Options
    Most dramatic frame of snooker ever surely
  • Options

https://twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1294281202363518977

I wonder if this becomes more common place

Well, it makes sense. A level results are unimportant in themselves, it's all about university entrance. As long as people get in, nothing else matters.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

DavidL said:

Note that two Democratic US Senators were nominated for VP who'd previously been elected and served as Governors - Edmund Muskie of Maine (1968) and Tim Kaine of Virginia (2016)

Sorta like wearing both belt AND suspenders.
  • Options

They are playing like me.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Not a fan but stunning tonwatch
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Carnyx said:

I did blink to find a senior London Conservative administration minister going on about the wonders of the brand. They have not given the impression of being at all interested in it -

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/scotlands-famous-brand-names-face-fight-protection-after-brexit-1415064
    Fair point, but the thrust of the screen-capped 'zinger' (obviously not the courage to actually let people see what Rishi was saying) was that it was an insult to Scotland to call it a brand, which is absurd, especially if you're speaking specifically about an industry.

I think we should decide, not as Nats or Unionists but as people who live and work in Scotland, whether we are pleased or displeased with UK Government Ministers focusing more on Scotland and coming to Scotland more. Because I've heard a lot from our SNP supporting cohort about UK Ministers being hopelessly clueless about Scotland and never visiting, yet you also seem to be extremely anti the fact that they are visiting and getting a clue.
  • Options
    I've seen posts about internet being blocked all week.
  • Options
    CV deaths reported per day in the last few days, 20, 18, 11. So where is the second wave?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    US Elections: Researching how to pronounce "Haidt" for a talk I am giving, I came across this classic of his from TED talks (2008). Just as applicable in understanding US Presidential 2020 as 2008:

https://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_the_moral_roots_of_liberals_and_conservatives?language=en#t-336216

Very much worth the 15 minute investment.
  • Options

168 points so far with 25 lef

Got to be a chance of it being a 200 pt frame
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,114

Carnyx said:

Fair point, but the thrust of the screen-capped 'zinger' (obviously not the courage to actually let people see what Rishi was saying) was that it was an insult to Scotland to call it a brand, which is absurd, especially if you're speaking specifically about an industry.

I think we should decide, not as Nats or Unionists but as people who live and work in Scotland, whether we are pleased or displeased with UK Government Ministers focusing more on Scotland and coming to Scotland more. Because I've heard a lot from our SNP supporting cohort about UK Ministers being hopelessly clueless about Scotland, yet you also seem to be extremely anti the fact that they are visiting and getting a clue.
    Any clues as to what this clue is that has been got? Is it Jocks not seeing enough Union flags?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

R4 now running the story that according to Trump, Kamala might not be eligible for VP

BBC is a disgrace
  • Options

IanB2 said:

BBC is a disgrace
    Is there such a thing as tabloid radio?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Carnyx said:

A look at what the SNP have tried to do in Scotland offers an alternative. I go past a little close of quite nice newish council houses every morning. That wee close contains more houses than the first two Lab-LD administrations of the recalled Holyrood government built in the whole of Scotland.
    The SNP could be the closest approximation we have to pre-Thatcher economic policies. In England and Wales, no party seems willing to repudiate her.
  • Options
    London (CNN Business) Efforts to restart Europe's mammoth travel and tourism sector have suffered another major setback, after the UK government added the world's most visited country to its quarantine list.
  • Options

Quincel said:

DavidL said:

Note that two Democratic US Senators were nominated for VP who'd previously been elected and served as Governors - Edmund Muskie of Maine (1968) and Tim Kaine of Virginia (2016)

Sorta like wearing both belt AND suspenders.
    Never knew that, especially about Kaine. Interesting.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Very little to do with ‘supply and demand’ and a lot to do with the price of money, the ease with which foreign criminalsinvestors can buy into our property market, and the appallingly low level of taxation on property assets compared with many other countries worldwide.
    Maybe in certain markets such as central London. But the way building land is "banked" and released slowly keeps supply down and the inbuilt blocks in the planning system effectively do the same. Maybe landlords do need to be taxed on the current rather than historic value of their property though.
  • Options
    Toms said:

IanB2 said:

BBC is a disgrace
    Is there such a thing as tabloid radio?
    Nick Ferrari, morning LBC
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

168 points so far with 25 lef

Got to be a chance of it being a 200 pt frame
    This is crazier than Trump.

Just unbelievable.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I think we should decide, not as Nats or Unionists but as people who live and work in Scotland, whether we are pleased or displeased with UK Government Ministers focusing more on Scotland and coming to Scotland more. Because I've heard a lot from our SNP supporting cohort about UK Ministers being hopelessly clueless about Scotland, yet you also seem to be extremely anti the fact that they are visiting and getting a clue.
    Any clues as to what this clue is that has been got? Is it Jocks not seeing enough Union flags?
    Not being psychic, I wouldn't know. But every single experience here is a step forward. You can complain when someone is ignorant and you can complain when they come and learn, but the hypocrisy is fairly noticeable.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

BBC is a disgrace
    Why is this a disgrace? Has Trump not said it?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    IanB2 said:

London (CNN Business) Efforts to restart Europe's mammoth travel and tourism sector have suffered another major setback, after the UK government added the world's most visited country to its quarantine list.

No other country has restrictions for going to/coming from France?
  • Options
    Fluke!!!
  • Options
    That’s mad.

That frame had everything.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,951

City centre apartments in former office blocks?

This government is doing nothing on reforming leasehold, has done nothing about rip off service charges, EWS forms mean people are living in unmortgageable properties, and hardly anything has been done to remove dangerous cladding years after Grenfell.

You'd want your head examined to buy one.
  • Options

Indeed I have only ever had one break over 40 but i would stand a chance here. A few tears I reckon at the end.
  • Options
    23 in it 22 left and the player ahead is still looking vulnerable
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

IanB2 said:

BBC is a disgrace
    Why is this a disgrace? Has Trump not said it?
    Not everything Trump says is newsworthy, particularly in the UK.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Fluke!!!

Whoever wins tonight is going to hammer the emotionally drained survivor harder than Davis did Parrott in ‘89, surely.
  • Options
    Something to look forward to (sic).

"Retail Chains Abandon Manhattan: ‘It’s Unsustainable’"

https://tinyurl.com/y5r4llp9

Thankfully SeanT doesn't read PB any more; this might just be too grim for him to cope with.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

As the good book says, "a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly."

Naturally this contemptible cur is trying to revive his beloved birther lie.

In this context, note that one reason Tammy Duckworth did NOT get picked (according to today's NYT) was because Biden campaign lawyers feared that Trumpsky campaign would challenge her eligibility (born overseas, father US citizen, mother not at time of birth).

Biden legal eagles believed law clearly on her/their side BUT also thought that a partisan court ruling in a swing state (for example Wisconsin where such rulings by the GOP-dominated state supreme court are the norm) might knock Biden-Duckworth OFF of the ballot there.

Sounds like typical lawyer BS to me (not sure how or where they were relieving themselves at the time) but that's what the Gray Lady is reporting today.
  • Options
    Over
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Not being psychic, I wouldn't know. But every single experience here is a step forward. You can complain when someone is ignorant and you can complain when they come and learn, but the hypocrisy is fairly noticeable.
    They may have come but since you can't indicate what the learning component is..

I'm not complaining that they're ignorant, just pointing it out as an inarguable fact. That it has helped indy to a consistent lead is just a bonus.
  • Options
    Sorry @ydoethur

GCSEs: 2 million grades set to be downgraded, researchers warn

Exclusive: analysis suggests disadvantaged pupils will be even worse hit than in A-levels debacle

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/aug/14/gcses-2-million-grades-set-to-be-downgraded-researchers-warn
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

CV deaths reported per day in the last few days, 20, 18, 11. So where is the second wave?

At the moment, nowhere.

What we really ought to be asking is why we're getting panic flap situations developing in Spain, France and Belgium, but not in the UK and (insofar as I'm aware) Italy. Identify the causes and perhaps we can work out what everyone can get away with and what we all need to avoid?
  • Options

Sorry @ydoethur

GCSEs: 2 million grades set to be downgraded, researchers warn

Exclusive: analysis suggests disadvantaged pupils will be even worse hit than in A-levels debacle

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/aug/14/gcses-2-million-grades-set-to-be-downgraded-researchers-warn

On an algorithm that we have seen is deeply flawed.

It’s more ridiculous than that frame of snooker we’ve just watched.

And at least that was entertaining and only one person has been left devastated by it.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    kyf_100 said:

City centre apartments in former office blocks?

This government is doing nothing on reforming leasehold, has done nothing about rip off service charges, EWS forms mean people are living in unmortgageable properties, and hardly anything has been done to remove dangerous cladding years after Grenfell.

You'd want your head examined to buy one.
    They go like hot cakes round here (NE Hants) they're cheap and good for commuting to the Smoke... although that's where they may lose their lustre.
  • Options

Thankfully SeanT doesn't read PB any more; this might just be too grim for him to cope with.

Can you imagine "Seinfeld" without Kenny Rogers' Fried Chicken???
  • Options

IanB2 said:

At the moment, nowhere.

What we really ought to be asking is why we're getting panic flap situations developing in Spain, France and Belgium, but not in the UK and (insofar as I'm aware) Italy. Identify the causes and perhaps we can work out what everyone can get away with and what we all need to avoid?
    My anecdotal view from a recent (and well timed) trip to NL is that we have lifted slower and with more social distancing rules in place. Amsterdam was quite busy and the tram I caught worryingly so (should have got the Metro but I'm not used to that central line yet). The Hague much less so.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

IanB2 said:

BBC is a disgrace
    Yeah! How dare they report on what Trump says. They should stick to important stuff like - oohhhh... - someting else.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    IanB2 said:

Absolutely mostly about supply and demand else house prices would be fairly uniform across the country. Whereas house prices are huge where people want to live ( the south east) and easily affordable where no one wants to live mainly the north. I don't use those terms in a perjorative sense its more a where can I find work sense.

Something that wfh being the new normal will fix. As long as the "I want to be in the office" crowd don't get their way
  • Options

I suspect it means they're desperate to get people in.

And if that's what's happening at Oxford then the likes of Scumbag ** aren't going to be turning down anyone.

After all we've been told repeatedly that much of Higher Education is on the verge of bankruptcy.

** That's a Young Ones reference to those PBers who are young ones.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited August 2020

Not just retail chains - restaurants too. Thomas Keller is permanently shuttering his restaurants in Hudson Yards

https://pagesix.com/2020/08/12/thomas-keller-permanently-shuttering-hudson-yards-eateries/

Edit: now see the original article mentions restaurant chains too
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

IanB2 said:

At the moment, nowhere.

My anecdotal view from a recent (and well timed) trip to NL is that we have lifted slower and with more social distancing rules in place. Amsterdam was quite busy and the tram I caught worryingly so (should have got the Metro but I'm not used to that central line yet). The Hague much less so.
    I think that's right. In Spain, for example, all the nightclubs in Ibiza were opened, and I'm pretty sure the thousands of young people moving rhythmically to dance music weren't all social distancing. (Or, indeed, wearing masks.)
  • Options

IanB2 said:

As the good book says, "a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly."

Naturally this contemptible cur is trying to revive his beloved birther lie.

In this context, note that one reason Tammy Duckworth did NOT get picked (according to today's NYT) was because Biden campaign lawyers feared that Trumpsky campaign would challenge her eligibility (born overseas, father US citizen, mother not at time of birth).

Biden legal eagles believed law clearly on her/their side BUT also thought that a partisan court ruling in a swing state (for example Wisconsin where such rulings by the GOP-dominated state supreme court are the norm) might knock Biden-Duckworth OFF of the ballot there.

Sounds like typical lawyer BS to me (not sure how or where they were relieving themselves at the time) but that's what the Gray Lady is reporting today.
    The birther stories from Obama and McCain onwards do seem bizarre to many non-Americans.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

They may have come but since you can't indicate what the learning component is..

I'm not complaining that they're ignorant, just pointing it out as an inarguable fact. That it has helped indy to a consistent lead is just a bonus.
    It is impossible to spend any length of time in a place without learning something.

Personally, I agree that there was a degree of ignorance, and I'm really pleased that UK Ministers are visiting and engaging. Politically, I think the SNP have enjoyed turning Scottish institutions into their own campaigning tools, and framing the political conversation in Scotland. Whilst they will continue to have a formidable home advantage, it's good to see the UK Government finally understanding the challenge this poses, and taking steps to begin to have their own conversation with the Scottish people.
  • Options
    I see the over promoted quote allegedly made by Williamson is not true. Social media apparently fell for a "joke" put out by someone on twitter
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,120
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/education/2020/08/top-level-grades-soar-private-schools-sixth-form-colleges-lose-out

Tories really will stop at nothing to protect the elite and fuck the rest of us.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,563
    edited August 2020
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

BBC is a disgrace
    Yeah! How dare they report on what Trump says. They should stick to important stuff like - oohhhh... - someting else.
    Don 't know about the Trump story, though I'd say the BBC have gone a long way downhill in terms of journalistic professionalism.

Listened to the presenter on the Today prog the other day - with Anneliese Dodds sitting in the studio - start a question with "I assume your opinion is" ... and rehearsed an assumed opinion.

Professional interviewers in that situation don't take up the interviewees time making a speech. They say "what do you think about x" and listen.

Just amateur hour over most of the BBC these days. Time to dump the attention seekers in short trousers.

And that's leaving aside the sub-twitter guff all over the home page.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

At the moment, nowhere.

Spain’s is about mass movement of people for the holiday season, stupidly allowing some indoor discos to open and then not policing mask usage inside, family gatherings at the shared beach town property, an inability to not hug and kiss and agricultural workers. There is also imported infection from all over the world including the UK. THE GOVERNMENT HAVE ACTED TONIGHT to close indoor dance venues, close bars at one, with no admission after 12, banned all drinking in public except in bars. They have however introduced a crazy smoking ban everywhere in public if two m social distancing cant be maintained. This could lead to unpleasant situations in bars and I feel for the owners, let’s hope the police turn a blind eye to this.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

At the moment, nowhere.

I would also venture to suggest that (a) the Government messaging during the peak of the pandemic, allied to much apocalyptic media coverage, has been more effective at frightening people - especially the more vulnerable demographics - into voluntary self-isolation than elsewhere; and (b) that the transition to working from home has been more successful and more complete in the UK than in many other countries. This might be because we have a higher proportion of workers in service industries that are amenable to the transformation, that the Government was more active in promoting it, that UK businesses were better prepared for the change, or some combination of the three. I seem to recall reading somewhere very recently that most office workers in Spain and France have gone back; that's clearly not the case over here.

If we then plug your suggestion on social distancing into the formula then we have a country that's adopted a wider range of measures to dampen transmission, and which has, in effect, significantly lowered both the density and median age of its population, by wiping out a large percentage of commuter traffic and sequestering the old and the sick out of circulation.

But we're just guessing, aren't we? Maybe there's something else going on that we haven't yet thought of?
  • Options
    TimT said:

Not just retail chains - restaurants too. Thomas Keller is permanently shuttering his restaurants in Hudson Yards

https://pagesix.com/2020/08/12/thomas-keller-permanently-shuttering-hudson-yards-eateries/

Edit: now see the original article mentions restaurant chains too
    A pal has told me that Highlands, a restaurant in lower Manhattan popular with expat Scots among others, has closed permanently, it was a fav on my occasional visits. Just one drop in the ocean of crapness.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

BBC is a disgrace
    R4 does do some fantastic stuff (but sometimes they're lardassed). I'd take it with me to a desert island.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    IanB2 said:

Waiting in the wings for when more vulnerable or not-exposed-yet people get exposed.

See the Spanish Flu pattern in Denmark for a possible pattern.

As a PHE stats bod told me last Jan/Feb ... small blip with return to school, then second wave in the winter when the immune systems are lower.
  • Options
    These quarantine actions are all about the UK government saying they are doing far better than Europe and nothing else.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

IanB2 said:

Maybe in certain markets such as central London. But the way building land is "banked" and released slowly keeps supply down and the inbuilt blocks in the planning system effectively do the same. Maybe landlords do need to be taxed on the current rather than historic value of their property though.
    Could you explain the last sentence. Which taxes exactly? And which landlords? And - I guess - which properties :-) ?

(Foreigners buying properties here are taxed very heavily if it isn't their first property in the UK and personally owned. Though perhaps you know about some dodges that I don't?)
  • Options

This takes the piss.

The next generation of barristers have complained that they were forced to urinate in bottles and buckets during their professional ethics exam this week.

The students were told they would fail their two hour 45 minute Bar Professional Training Course assessment if they left their desk to go to the loo, or if they did not maintain eye contact with their online invigilator.

And so the nation's future barristers, having drunk copious amounts of water to stay hydrated on one of the hottest days of the year, found themselves weeing in containers while staring at a stranger on their laptop.

Bar student Tian Juin See told RollOnFriday that when he asked to be excused about an hour into the exam, the online proctor refused.

"I tried to hold it, but a little while later I asked again and he said no", said Tian.

"It became rather unbearable and it was having an effect on my concentration", he said. Despite "literally begging" the proctor, Tian was told that "policy doesn't allow the use of toilets during exams. I told him that if I'm not allowed, I'm going to have to pee in the bottle, but he still wouldn't let me use the toilet".

"Finally, I couldn't hold it anymore", said Tian. "so I dumped out the water in my bottle all over my carpet", though he couldn't see where he was pouring it as the proctor said he was not allowed to turn away from the camera, "and attempted to take a piss into my bottle, blindly, while trying not to move around too much or look away from my screen".

"When I was done I raised the now yellow bottle to the webcam as if to say: 'Are you happy now?'"

Others were pushed to similarly humiliating extremes. Sophie Lamb, who is studying at BPP University in Leeds, said she had to maintain eye contact with her webcam while urinating, after she was unable to get booked at a test centre. "I took a bucket in and wore a long maxi dress so that I could squat down with my face still on camera", she said. "The sacrifices we make for our careers".

BPTC student Pete Kennedy said, "shorts and 5L bottle for me. Think I stealthed it."

https://www.rollonfriday.com/news-content/aspiring-barristers-forced-urinate-bottles

Somehow I managed to go through endless school, uni and professional exams without needing to go to the toilet.

As did everyone else in the exam room.

Has something changed to the human body during the last generation which makes imminent death by dehydration such a threat ?
  • Options
    The thing is, if we're rightly quarantining arrivals from France etc, then why aren't we quarantining arrivals from America?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

BBC is a disgrace
    Shouldnt just repeat a lie without the fact check that proves its a lie.

They have done exactly the same in the last 2 GEs here.
  • Options

This takes the piss.

Somehow I managed to go through endless school, uni and professional exams without needing to go to the toilet.

As did everyone else in the exam room.

Has something changed to the human body during the last generation which makes imminent death by dehydration such a threat ?
    You may have missed that it has been the longest hottest spell since records began, people have been drinking more water than normal to stay hydrated.

The more you drink, the more you piss.
  • Options

The thing is, if we're rightly quarantining arrivals from France etc, then why aren't we quarantining arrivals from America?

Because we want chlorinated chicken.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

At the moment, nowhere.

I think that's right. In Spain, for example, all the nightclubs in Ibiza were opened, and I'm pretty sure the thousands of young people moving rhythmically to dance music weren't all social distancing. (Or, indeed, wearing masks.)
    Could also be a cultural thing. Save for the occasional panic over illegal raves, are young adults gathering in large numbers anywhere? It's not simply the fact that the Government refused to re-open nightclubs, pubs that haven't developed a strong food offer have been in steep decline for years.

Youngsters aren't, by and large, big drinkers anymore, they mostly don't have very much money and eating out is dear (not that there's much evidence to suggest that the restaurants that have reopened haven't been taking their Covid secure responsibilities seriously in any event - I can't immediately recall any media reports of Covid clusters that have been traced back to restaurants.)

Add to that the relative lack of intergenerational households in the UK - notably that the young probably aren't seeing their grandparents every five minutes, so Covid would more likely have to pass through a chain via Mum or Dad to get at them - and that would suggest that young adults may be much less effective vectors in this country then elsewhere. They're picking the disease up in smaller numbers, and are less likely to pass it on to vulnerable individuals if they do.
  • Options

I suspect it means they're desperate to get people in.

And if that's what's happening at Oxford then the likes of Scumbag ** aren't going to be turning down anyone.

After all we've been told repeatedly that much of Higher Education is on the verge of bankruptcy.

** That's a Young Ones reference to those PBers who are young ones.
    Not what I'm hearing from people in the sector - not a shortage of students for Autumn entry.

Remember that there will be fewer people going on a gap year, and students are of an age where they are less vulnerable. So there's no great demand problem from what I've heard.

Also, don't a lot of Oxford courses/colleges still do admissions test (and will have done them pre-lockdown) so often the A-levels are an afterthought.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I’m fairly certain that the London administration is run by Labour.
This discussion has been closed.