Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » WH2020: Intriguing new poll question from Fox New – how do you

12346»

Comments

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

LadyG said:

That’s quite a Good Goodwin.

Only a minority of Labour MPs think schools should teach kids respect for “authority”

What do the rest suggest schools should do? Instill a respect for anarchy?
    Labour MPs are right on every one of those questions though. As I recall even Tory MPs are to the left of the British public on some questions, eg the death penalty. I've always suspected that Cummings' next referendum will be on the death penalty, the ultimate way to stick it to the Libs while rallying the silent majority behind the Tory banner (while also getting round the objections of elite Tory opinion, just as with Brexit). This will probably be my personal emigration point, BTW).
    If they do have a vote to bring back the death penalty every yes vote should be accompanied by a signed pledge to carry out the execution themselves by whatever means the state decides.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    edited August 2020
    isam said:

Doing the rounds on Facebook, complete with incorrect spelling of Sir Keir

Ever thought of changing your crowd? Easier said than done, I know, but it can't be healthy seeing stuff like this the whole time.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,893
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    What has ABdP Johson become? BCuP Johnson?
    :lol:

Although following his new exercise regime, he's gone down to an A cup.
    Are we talking about his waistline, or is 'exercise regime' a euphemism for 'bad news for Carrie?'
    Not the waistline, I presume the OP means, but about 30cm up.
  • Options
    Can somebody explain what it means when they say young people don't have respect for British values?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

MikeL said:

Has anyone looked at comments re exam grades story on BBC website?

Literally all of the most liked comments are supporting downgrading teachers estimates.

Looks like another media misjudgement.

One wonders whether, out of the blue, this is Starmer's first mis-step - ie he is giving the impression he supports prizes for all - and of course people will read into that a similar attitude to public spending, benefits etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53776938?sortBy=HighestRating&sortOrder=Descending&filter=none#comments

Unsurprising. The public hate young people, as should be evident from their voting behaviour.k
    Parents feel teachers grade too high, except when their own offspring are concerned.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Ever thought of changing your crowd? Easier said than done, I know, but it can't be healthy seeing stuff like this the whole time.
    I can sit with paupers and kings! No need for lefty cancellation techniques here
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

"Young people don't respect British values" - what does this mean?

Quite! I know what young people are but the next bit needs a definition.

TBH, this - does the youth of today respect British values? - is imo one of those questions that psychologically steers to an answer of No unless it's a young person being asked.

A bit like - "Do you trust today's politicians?"

People will tend to say No because it's expected of them. They fear looking a mug or an eccentric otherwise.
    'British Values' (again thanks to Gove) has a very specific legal meaning, in schools at least:

All have a duty to ‘actively promote’ the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. These values were first set out by the government in the ‘Prevent’ strategy in 2011.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/guidance-on-promoting-british-values-in-schools-published
    In which case, not all that many older people appear to respect them, either.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Has anyone looked at comments re exam grades story on BBC website?

Literally all of the most liked comments are supporting downgrading teachers estimates.

Looks like another media misjudgement.

One wonders whether, out of the blue, this is Starmer's first mis-step - ie he is giving the impression he supports prizes for all - and of course people will read into that a similar attitude to public spending, benefits etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53776938?sortBy=HighestRating&sortOrder=Descending&filter=none#comments

No. What this shows is most people do not have children who have just sat their A-levels, and every newsroom contains at least one parent who does. I would not read anything further into that.

If you want to be fair to these students, "something must be done". To the cynics, it will all be water under the bridge come 2024 so "move on, nothing to see here".
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Watching radical feminists scrap with the pro trans lobby over who has the right to call themselves a woman is a bit like watching alien versus predator for me.

To me the answer seems rather obvious. All those who have been through the very difficult and painful sex change process have earned the right to be known as their acquired gender. Those who have not, have not.
    I couldn`t disagree with you more.

Individuals should be able to identify as any gender they wish without having to be operated on to achieve this.

As for the operation itself, which is gruesome and removes healthy tissue to mimic a sex (not gender) they are not, the surgeon who does such a thing gets no respect from me.
    Individuals should be able to identify as any ethnicity they wish without having to be operated on to achieve this
    Which is the case. I can identify as Chinese if I want. Or whatever. But to identify is not the same as to legally become. The gender issue is imo sufficiently different as to render the comparison to race unhelpful. Changing of gender is driven by gender dysphoria. The feeling of being male in a female body or vice versa. There's no true equivalent for race. Also race is far more fluid that m/f. Also race is not as integral to legal identity as gender is. So, yes, I can identify as Chinese and that's pretty much end of story. Piece of cake. But if I'm a woman trapped in a man's body, I want to do more than just identify as a woman. I want to become a woman. I want to change my birth cert. I probably (although not necessarily) want to undergo hormone treatments and physical operation(s) too. And I want to assume my legal female ID on receipt of a diagnosis of gender dysphoria rather than having to wait until all treatments are completed.

Do I have this right? This is the debate.

I think I do.
    You go to university because you want a degree. You lie in the sun because you want a suntan. You climb Everest because you want to get to the summit (and back down again). You exercise because you want washboard abs. Wanting first and getting later is a well-established principle, and has many advantages, including the ability to work out if it's what you really want, the sense of achievement that comes at the end of the creative process, the opportunity to demonstrate your intent and hard work to your peers, being ready for the eventual change, etc. etc. etc.

If you want to identify as anything from the get go, rock on. But you should expect the state to put in the same effort that you have.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

"Young people don't respect British values" - what does this mean?

Quite! I know what young people are but the next bit needs a definition.

TBH, this - does the youth of today respect British values? - is imo one of those questions that psychologically steers to an answer of No unless it's a young person being asked.

A bit like - "Do you trust today's politicians?"

People will tend to say No because it's expected of them. They fear looking a mug or an eccentric otherwise.
    'British Values' (again thanks to Gove) has a very specific legal meaning, in schools at least:

All have a duty to ‘actively promote’ the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs. These values were first set out by the government in the ‘Prevent’ strategy in 2011.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/guidance-on-promoting-british-values-in-schools-published
    Where do I sign.

Although I think I'm a bit of a reactionary on this one. I see the role of a teacher as being to impart knowledge and techniques and to inculcate curiosity and a love of learning and discovery.

Instilling the above values is great too - but I don't think there should be a "duty" to do so.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,515
    edited August 2020
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

This is the sort of thing Russian trolls will be sending round come the next election. They might also send similar reminders of Savile spending Christmas at Chequers. Very fair-minded the Russians. They value dissent and disruption in the West as much as who wins.

Nothing will be done about it because CCHQ will be intending to send their own smears at the election, and Labour and the other parties likewise.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,063
    kinabalu said:

moonshine said:

LadyG said:

Dura_Ace said:

Surprised this visit hasn't affected recent polling. Or effected as Scottish Tories might say.

https://twitter.com/hmtreasury/status/1294214186357133312?s=20

Loving the hoodie over the shirt and tie look. 50% skatepark 50% Wall Street. He's hitting those key demographics. What an absolute throbbing infected twat he is.
    He’s a weird wee midge of a man, size-wise, but actually he comes over well on TV. Relaxed, amiable, articulate, not too posh. He will survive the end of furlough. He will be a real test for the Labour leader that faces him (and Nats, LDs, etc)
    The quasi sacking of Javid and swift elevation of Rishi becomes more intriguing the more I see of him. Because it’s becoming much harder to characterise this as Boris / Cummings forcing out a robust counterweight and putting in an inexperienced puppet.

Rishi’s potential (both electorally and administratively) would have been obvious to Boris before he appointed him. Which makes it start to look much more like active succession planning. One has to wonder what’s been said between them behind closed doors.

There’s a lot to play out from this recession still but a hypothetical Rishi vs Starmer contest in 2024 (or beyond) would be quite a one sided affair one feels.
    Worried by this post. Not the prediction as such - could be right could be wrong - but the lexicology. Not only do we have "Boris" now - and people know my views on that - but we seem to be embracing "Rishi" instead of Sunak. Another brand taking off - people talking about a Tory politician who was unknown a year ago as if he's an intimate acquaintance - and I sense I am powerless to stop it. Wits end.
    Think Moonshine has been taking a lot of his name orally personally. almost as fanciful as Sean , oops LadyG , and his Rishi does not need Scotland. By end of this clusterfcuk they will need every seat they can bribe their way to.
  • Options

Employment question. Business enters consultation, needs to make the role redundant. Conversations, consultation (held on a day the person being consulted is on furlough as directed) and then a "sadly we are making your role redundant. However, I have already been promised that 2 months into my 3 months notice, there will be a trading review where if things have picked up my role may be reinstated.

Q - can they make a role redundant and trigger notice having already confirmed the role may not be redundant a few months down the line before notice period expires? Feels odd that I will have it confirmed the role is redundant but in 2 months we may make it unredundant. I don't see how that works, albeit from having served less than 2 years therefore no rights at all.

Yes, I think I have new more interesting consulting venture to start. But even so...

From what I have seen they can do almost anything , though I do not believe they can chop anything till consultation ends, whole point is to consult. Depends on how many get the chop how long the consultation. Normally they do consultation , then make final decision and then inform those who are at risk etc , you then get dates and work notice etc.
    However given we are run by Tories they can probably chuck you out before they consult you.
    Certainly where I have seen it , assuming over 20 going they do the 30,60 or 90 days consultation , they inform you that you are at risk, then you have meeting and told you are a goner , start your notice etc and gone.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Watching radical feminists scrap with the pro trans lobby over who has the right to call themselves a woman is a bit like watching alien versus predator for me.

To me the answer seems rather obvious. All those who have been through the very difficult and painful sex change process have earned the right to be known as their acquired gender. Those who have not, have not.

Individuals should be able to identify as any gender they wish without having to be operated on to achieve this.

As for the operation itself, which is gruesome and removes healthy tissue to mimic a sex (not gender) they are not, the surgeon who does such a thing gets no respect from me.
    I find that view extraordinary, but thanks for expressing it so respectfully.
    Liberalism. Individuals should be able to pursue their chosen paths in life without coercion.

Identify as a man (gender) one day and woman the next, only to reverse this a few years later, is fine by me. Individuals should have maximum freedom right up to the point that they harm others. Then, on only then, their freedom stops.

Conservatives are offended by the notion of gender differing from sex - but mere offence is not harm. J S Mill was clear on that.
    I also believe in maximum freedom, and the right of individuals to self-identity as any gender they want - but I don't see why the state (and the taxpayer) should be involved. Take all the freedom you want, but not on my dollar.
    I am not convinced, no-one who still has their block and tackle should have unlimited access to woman's places.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Individuals should be able to identify as any ethnicity they wish without having to be operated on to achieve this
    Why only ethnicity?

Iain Banks postulated a future in which changing species, or even becoming an AI was just a phase....
    He was obviously barking
  • Options

Stocky said:

Why only ethnicity?

Iain Banks postulated a future in which changing species, or even becoming an AI was just a phase....
    He was obviously barking
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800

Betting related post.

Regarding the 20/21 Champions and Europa Leagues betting, in light of the quarantine tennis that is likely to happen.

How will European football be different?

All qualifying ties for the Champions League and Europa League will be single-leg matches. However, home and away matches will return for the Champions League play-off round, due to be played at the end of September.

Both tournaments are likely to be dramatically altered if the COVID-19 pandemic worsens.

UEFA has announced that if a member country enforces travel restrictions which prevent a tie from taking place, the host team must forfeit the match. If both teams’ governments ban travel, UEFA can disqualify both clubs from the tournament.

And if the visiting team’s government had the stricter restriction - from UEFA protocol on restrictions:
    iii) If restrictions imposed by the national/local authorities of the visiting club’s country apply to the
    visiting club’s travel to play the match or its return home after the match, the home club must propose
    a suitable alternative venue which may be in a neutral country (within the territory of a UEFA member
    association) that would allow the match to take place and would not cause the visiting club any
    restrictions in either travel direction. If the home club fails to propose such suitable alternative venue,
    the UEFA administration will take a final decision on the match venue.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

rkrkrk said:

Many thanks to those who shared their retaking A-levels stories. Certainly confirmed my bias that retaking may be a better option than just settling for a second/third/fourth university/course choice.

Maybe. It depends what the actual choices will be, not the theoretical ones. The conventional wisdom is that it will be easier to get into university this year than it will be in 2021.

Then there are choices of university and course. If all that counts is Oxbridge, that is different from the subject being the important thing. Which is it in your case? @Foxy has already told us he chose medicine at not-Oxford over not-medicine at Oxford, but I can certainly recall people being advised to apply for less popular courses to get into Oxford.

One thing I've not seen mentioned here that I've seen three times IRL is students doing a BA/BSc somewhere followed by a Masters at Oxbridge. Best of both worlds.
    It was fairly easy to switch subjects at Trinity Cambridge - essentially you just needed to persuade the Director of Studies (at your college) that you would be a reasonably sensible student.

I nearly changed from Philosophy to Economics, but I realised that Philosophy had by far the lightest workload of any of the subjects, which discouraged a switch.
This discussion has been closed.